[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: monika.jpg (25 KB, 480x360)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
/SQT/ - Stupid Question Thread

Alright, you know the drill:

Last thread: >>64099179

If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

What's the most suitable directory to install gayms on GAHNOO/Linux? I was thinking /opt/, but at that point can gayms change files in their own directory without being run with root privileges?
>>
what's the best program to use to get video files on a DVD for palyback on a standard player?
>>
Can I use unity 7 with Ubuntu 18.04?

Ubuntu MATE hijacks Firefox's homepage, it has been known for at least a year and they haven't fixed it yet.

GNOME is a joke.
>>
>>64108443
That's called DVD ripping, define the best.

Handbrake may help.
>>
>>64108494
>DVD ripping
nonono
I mean't transferring video files TO a DVD for playback on a DVD player. I just want a simple program that can make a playable DVD out of video file(s) that doesn't add watermarks or ugly menus
>>
Please make me more effective at stalking my contacts' behavior on skype. Anything from knowing when they last logged in, for how long they were logged in, if they viewed my messages and when, whether they started typing and for how long they were typing... I can spot these things (except for if they ever viewed my messages) if I am online with the client open to see it. Can I not record it beyond that? Beyond literally keeping the client open and 24/7 recording their log in status and if it says they're typing... which my unfortunate laptop can in no way handle.
>>
>>64108583
Brasero, possibly infrarecorder.
>>
File: cUqIizH[1].jpg (51 KB, 405x348)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>64108642
exactly what I was looking for. thanks anon
>>
If I create a bootable USB can I still store files on it like normal if the USB drive has room to spare?
>>
File: 12412412412.jpg (49 KB, 400x481)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Does this change anything in sound quality? Dolby Atmos forces it to 16 bit, 48 kHz rather than the 24bit 96 kHz I set it to
>>
>>64108764

Yes.
>>
>>64108935
Thanks, what exactly is shared mode?
>>
i want to learn about operating systems.
what are some good books for it? i don't know much about them..
>>
File: 1.png (1.33 MB, 900x900)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
My laptop throttles to the point of shutting down by not much demanding shit (just having Photoshop plus other stuff opened - games send it to hell in short time too). How much of a bad idea is it to disable throttling so that this doesn't happen any more?

I mean what other solution do I have. It's completely fucked in other regards so I'm not invested on buying thermal paste (which they don't even sell were I live), and the fan pad I bought can't help any more than it's doing now.
>>
What office suite does one use in the year 2018?
Didnt oracle buy and shit all over openoffice?
What is the go to choice now?
>>
File: 1512819328095.gif (617 KB, 498x498)
617 KB
617 KB GIF
>>64108327
Why is there no USB connected Fingerprint reader.

Even for Keyboards or even Mouses? I'm already giving up my Fingerprint to my phone, why not to my PC?
>>
How do I install legacy addons to firefox quantum? I lost all my old legacy addons and while I might have figured out how to force legacy addons to work, it refuses to install them.

Alternatively, what's a good image downloader that works well with 4chan and allows me to filter out the thumbnails and fake 'wait' and 'iqdb' downloads that every other downloader struggles from?
>>
>>64109093
throttle it manually before it gets hot, it will be a bit slow but usable, its quite easy in linux. There are a few scripts.
>>
>>64109102
>Didnt oracle buy and shit all over openoffice?
LibreOffice. It's a fork of OpenOffice when a lot of the devs got pissed at Oracle's mismanagement of it.
>>
>>64109168
do you even google bro?
https://www.amazon.com/Fingerprint-PQI-Matching-Biometric-Security/dp/B06XG4MHFJ
>>
>>64108327
>Posting reddit: the game
Fuck off
>>
>>64108757
Yeah, at least if you use a tool like Rufus to make it. It'll make it FAT32 and you can use any free space on it normally.
>>
Where can I find Mircosoft Office?
Preferably the most recent version. I already have the toolkit
>>
>>64108764
It only improves quality if your actual source material is 24 bit 96 kHz. If your source material is 16 bit 48 kHz Dolby Atmos stuff, Atmos's setting of 16 bit 48 kHz is the best quality you can get, and setting it to anything else will resample it and reduce quality a tiny bit.
>>
File: 2895644-xl-a.jpg (26 KB, 540x540)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I need to sell a couple second hand consumer electronics items in the UK and I'm not sure how.

I bought new parts for a new PC, and want to sell the old one. Either selling just mobo+cpu+ram+cooler combo and reusing the rest myself, or the whole thing.

Also have a high end laptop (4k gsync screen, gtx 1070, 32gb ram, i7 6820hk...) that I bought in the US for cheap and want to resell here since I don't really need it, I just tried it to see how it worked before bringing it back to Europe.

In the country I used to live second hand market was big and easy, we has craigslist-like websites with components sections full of stuff, so I bought and sold a lot of things, here in London I would have expected the same or even easier stuff, but nope.

Basically where can I sell this stuff? a desktop or components combo (300~500£) and a gaymur laptop (~1500£)??

I've thought of ebay but I never sold anything there and I'm afraid that their cut might be too high, also afraid of not getting nets high enough maybe.

Any tips? (Anyone interested in an EVGA SC17? kek)
>>
What's the best paid version of antivirus available?
>>
Have my avr pulling all my audio through the television. If I connect optical from my bluray player to my avr would it have any impact on the audio quality or am I fine with what I'm doing?
>>
When I plug my headphones into my PC case it sounds like I'm underwater. I just built my PC, it has an Asus motherboard if it helps
>>
>>64109919
I forgot to add I have a cheap pair of speakers and they sound good, but they're plugged in directly to the motherboard in the back.
>>
>>64109705
>I need to sell
> "need"

Failure to report the importing of goods (especially stolen goods) and paying the appropriate duty is a criminal offense, Poojeet. Turn yourself in and pay your taxes like a civilized man of culture.
>>
>>64109919
Maybe you have the audio header plugged in wrong, or maybe your case has a defective headphone jack.

Specifically the ground pin is likely bad/disconnected.
>>
>>64110041
How would I fix this?
Or tell which scenario it is?
>>
Currently using a GTX 1070 but am afraid my current specs are holding it back. Im using an i7 4790 which should be fine but my motherboard and RAM are quite outdated (2014 model board and DDR3). Any recommendations on what I should get to get the most out of my card?
>>
I need a windows utility that will let me point and hp vista .fbw file to a drive other than C.

I'm trying to get some files off a dead PC without ripping the drive out. The hp recovery backup exe just dumps it to C and it's not a big enough drive for all the files. It's getting to the point where I might just pull the drive and put it in the dock I have though
>>
>>64110003
Sure, I'll pay the duties and taxes I need to, and I will still make profit off it.

My question still stands and your post was quite useless.

How to sell 2nd hand shit on the UK?
>>
File: oOvFh9D.png (535 KB, 800x536)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
What exact model of IBM computer is this? It's the one I had as a kid.
>>
Could someone here please post the picture showing the comparison between the amounts of NVIDIA packages and folders drivers you can delete and leave out only the necessary? I'm sure any of you know what I'm talking about.
>>
Does craigslist have a cell mixer,like their email, or are you giving people your actual cell number?
>>
>>64108327
Since Windows 7 doesn't support TRIM for mSATA, NVMe and M.2 SSDs, is it still possible to use an SSD utility (such as Samsung Magician) to manually TRIM the SSD?
>>
Thinking of getting a VPS since I will be travelling quite a bit.
Want to have the functionality of onedrive. Does nextcloud have online word processor?

Also, what else can I use it for?
RSS
>>
Is saying "chink shit" offensive when referring to cheap electronics? I always thought it was a relatively neutral term.
>>
>>64111199
>chink
that's a slur so yeah
>>
>>64111025
>such as Samsung Magician
>>
>>64111156
be aware some vps providers don't like to host files.
>word processor
I think so, but you can just use another product for that.

>Also, what else can I use it for?
I use mine for containerized apps, I just deploy what i need when I need it.
>>
My brother bought a laptop for himself, the problem is that he's a genius and it came with Endless OS installed on it.
I wanted to install windows for him, but the BIOS won't recognise any of my flash drives, so I've updated the BIOS to the latest version but still nothing. I can't boot from any of my flash drives.
Any tips for me? I'm fucking desperate to replace that OS, never had problems like this before.
Specs: ASUS X541NC

Thanks in advance anons, I really appreciate all the help.
>>
Why do people mine bitcoin?
>>
>>64111298
>be aware some vps providers don't like to host files
Thats the literal fucking point of a vps, a remote server.What are you not hosting shit on your server? the fuck kid get out
>>
>>64111304
You could always get an external DVD drive if you're really desperate (assuming the laptop doesn't have one built in)
>>
does office 365 offer a better web editor?
>>
>>64111317
>host some kinds/types of files (copyright)
there you have it.
>>
>>64111304
>tfw nobody will ever call you handsom
>>
>>64111383
Yeah the chance of the copyrights holder finding your random shitty little vps out of millions of ips?
Go get yo tendies and let real men talk
>>
>>64111413
>anon you have a beutiful nose.
That's the only compliment someone has made about my face
>>
>>64111282
If it's because of the "botnet" thing, can I use a slightly older version (such as 4.9.5)?
>>
>>64111466
>tfw fat stubby nose
>>
>brother recently bought one of those adapters that lets you connect a hard drive to your pc via usb
>try to use it on my old broken laptop's hard drive
>plug into my windows 10 laptop
>no plugin sound
>doesn't show up on this pc
>the adapter's light is on
>I can hear the hard drive
>connect it to my brother's laptop that also has windows 10
>it fucking works
>he copies a video file on to it
>I try it on my tv
>it works
>try it on my ps3
>doesn't work
what do I do to get this shit to show up on my laptop?
>>
>>64111499
No, you should use it
>>
Is it dangerous to have a hard drive just kinda resting on a USB adapter with a SATA port and shit connected on it and have the hard drive run and potentially fall off while data is moving and stuff?
>>
Ever since moving from Chrome to Firefox I've noticed Netflix seems to not be able to correct show subs at the right timing, they're almost always too slow.
I can't find anything about this nor have other people I've asked experienced such an issue.
>>
>>64109595
>everything I don't like is Reddit
(You)
>>
>>64111641
>No, you should use it
I don't understand, should I or should I not?
>>
>>64111637
Is it a dock or just a usb/sata connector? If it's a dock it should just work. Only thing it might be is a power issue. The usb/sata cables don't have enough power for some drives, usually desktop drives though. It might be the other devices are not supplying enough power over USB for some reason. other than that idk my dude
>>64111662
A little, just don't be a clutz and you'll probably be fine
>>
>>64111758
>>64111641
>>>64111499
>No, you should use it
>>
>>64111750
>>everything I don't like is Reddit
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>64111773
It come from a USB external drive I took apart but there's nothing really to lock the drive in place but I figure I can use it to test drives or move files off them quick when I don't wanna open my case
>>
>>64111773
usb/sata connector
>>
>>64111810
Just put it in a relatively stable position and try not to move it while you're transferring files. Should be fine
>>64111820
I'd guess it's some power issue then. Docks have an AC adapter for power so there's always enough for the drive. It's odd that it woks on a desktop at all though. I have one that just doesn't work at all if there's not enough USB power
>>
is a 100feet ethernet cable ok to use? I heard you start losing speeds or something if your cable is too long
>>
>>64110003
Just use Ebay.
>>
I'm >>64110586
I had a lead. But it leads to initechsolutions.org which is now dead apparently there was an FBW extractor program hosted there which would be exactly what I need
>>
Am I entitled to an answer?
>>
>>64112279
you're entitled to THIS!
*whips out c-ck*
>>
>>64110123
Unplug the header. Inspect. Are any of the pins bent or missing other than the 1 key pin that's supposed to be missing in the corner? (Unbend or conclude it's fucked.) Are any of the wires going into the connector loose or have part of the metal hole poking out the back? (Push it back in.) Inspect the other end where it goes to the jack, is there any damage there? (Repair or conclude it's fucked.)

If you conclude it's fucked, can you RMA it? If so, do. If not, rig some DIY thing. The simplest is to plug a headphone splitter into the back of the case, your speakers into that, along with a headphone extension wire going around to the front, to give you a place to plug in headphones. Just turn off the speakers and adjust the volume before using headphones. Or, get speakers that have a headphone jack built in.
>>
>>64112349
Luckily I have speakers with a headphone jack built in. I don't feel like having to transfer all my internals to a new case though. I guess I might have to RMA it.
>>
>>64110531
First, see just how short you are of what the card should be getting. Download Unigine Benchmark and run it with no other demanding things open. Search GTX 1070 in the leaderboard and see what the scores look like compared to yours. Keep in mind, the top scores will be extreme overclockers.

I immediately notice that the very top score is leagues above the next guy down -- most likely liquid nitrogen or phase change cooling and a resistor shunt to get way overspec clocks and power consumption.

I also notice there are some 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen i7s (and even an i5 2500K, obviously overclocked, but still...) on the first page. So DDR3 is definitely capable of performing well enough.

If your motherboard supports XMP RAM profiles, get some fast, low CL DDR3 and just use that. DDR4 is way overpriced lately, and you'd be looking at a new mobo and new CPU to upgrade to it. Almost certainly not worth the cost.

Also http://thebottlenecker.com thinks your CPU won't be much of a bottleneck if any, so upgrading won't bring much benefit.

If you do want to upgrade the CPU though, see if you can get a used 4790K for relatively cheap. It'll go in the board you already have and use the same RAM, but be 400 MHz faster out of the box, and be overclockable.
>>
>>64112137
Nah. It's fine. Overkill for most situations though. You'd be surprised how damn long a 50 foot cable is.
>>
how long should it take to uninstall a 134GB program?
>>
>>64109705
I'd be interested, could you email specs and prices to eeunxpqh@gmail.com?
>>
how do i get better emoji support on windows 7? i need to see this emoji.
>>
>>64111199
>chink
>shit
Yeah at least outside of 4chan.
"cheap Chinese crap"
"made of Chinesium" (joking; also implies low durability and build quality)
>>
>>64112137
iirc cat5e or better should work for gigabit up to 100 *meters*. If it's damaged or kinked/folded sharply, it won't work well at any length though.

>>64112304
>*whips out c-ck*
Cuck?

>>64112521
Where's the problem then? Plug the speakers into the back of the mobo, which you said works. Plug the headphones into the speaker. Ignore the busted jack on the front panel.
>>
>>64112712
I guess so.
It just kinda sucks that the case is defective
>>
>>64112622
Depends on the program. WTF are you uninstalling 134 GB of?

>>64112640
You can try installing a black and white emoji font like the one in Win10. Dunno if it will work. Even in Win10 some emoji are missing, or look completely crap and unrecognizable without huge font size. Or paste it into a browser address bar -- both Firefox and Chrome have good emoji support and show them in color, and if you search the emoji it'll find pages saying what it's supposed to be.

>>64112737
Did you narrow it down to the case and not the board? I do think that's more likely, but still.
>>
>>64112622
Depends on what it's composed of and how it's integrated into the system. Could easily uninstall faster than many programs that are only a few megabytes.
>>
So humble bundle has a book bundle for python going on right now. Is there anybody here that would recommend these books? Or are they just shit?
>>
>>64112784
It's a program used to connect to PLCs. It should not be 134GB. I am on windows 7 and in safe mode. I edited the registry to allow me to uninstall programs in safe mode. My computer will only boot in safe mode and I am looking for reasons why. This program has caused problems for me in the past.
>>
>>64112137
I'm running a 50 foot from my router to my desktop. It should be fine
>>64112712
>cat5e or better should work for gigabit up to 100 *meters*
is correct, the length includes 90 horizontal and 10 vertical based on some building standard I can't remember the acronym of. point is should be fine
>>
>>64112784
i just did a fresh OS install so maybe that has something to be with it. i dont really know shit about unicode.
>>
>>64108327
Is Seagate a good brand for internal hard drives for a dell?
>>
>>64108327
What's a good place to buy one of those legacy gsuite accounts that don't have a monthly fee?
>>
How dangerous is it to run an unupdated windows 7? I installed windows 7 on my new ryzen build a few months ago and they wouldn't let me update so I've just been cruising without them this whole time.
>>
I have a program where different threads "own" different arrays, meaning that they lock the access to the matrix, do their thing, then drop the lock. However, sometimes they need to access some other thread's array, as in, take the lock, do some reading and writing, then dropping the lock. This obviously can lead to deadlocking. What are some techniques for dealing with this? I've tried delegating access to the array for a later time but this is suboptimal
>>
>>64113201
why would it be dangerous?
>>
>>64113201
As long as you don't go on the internet, its fine.
Oh, wait...
>>
>>64113201
Look at offline updates, its a third party application that you can use on 7
>>
>>64113267
I read it on /g/.
>>
Is there a self host calendar that I can use to replace google calendar?

>>64111298
like an online collab word processor.
Also, where's a good place to do research on which ones will respect privacy and turn a blind eye to copyright material.
>>
File: 20180102_200821-1.jpg (939 KB, 2582x1936)
939 KB
939 KB JPG
>>64112784
Here it is, looks like there is a bent pin but I'm not sure
>>
>>64113314
90% of people on /g/ are fucking stupid though
>>
>>64113201
Pretty bad. There's this though

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/user-made-patch-lets-owners-of-next-gen-cpus-install-updates-on-windows-7-andamp-8-1/

>>64113267
Because security update exist for a reason
>>
File: 1509411421543.png (22 KB, 485x443)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>64113438
>'updates' make me safe
>>
Is there a way to prevent w10 from allowing apps to prevent shutdown/restart of the PC? Half the time I go to do it when I'm leaving, it will let some app prevent me from shutting down, so I come home to a PC that's still on, but I don't want to have to wait around to see if it prompts me to "shutdown anyway" or successfully powers off.
>>
>>64113499
Yes, they do. The vast majority of the security battle takes place in the actual software you run, particularly the OS and internet facing programs. You just don't notice because so much effort has gone into constantly developing those that the raging pile of shit that is the internet/most software generally doesn't seep through unless you do stupid shit. But new exploits are discovered all the time, and any IT guy worth his shit will tell you that keeping your shit up to date is critical. That's really, really basic.
>>
>>64113663
Hold the power button down till it goes off
>>
I just got a new laptop to replace my ancient one, but it comes with windows 10 and I remember hearing some shit about it.

What should I keep an eye out for?
>>
will anker powercore banks charge just as quickly with a 3rd party quick charge adaptor?
>>
How do ISP data caps actually work? If I have a 1TB cap, and I download 1,000 1GB movies, will I hit the cap?
>>
>>64113663
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
New -> DWORD
AutoEndTasks = 1
>>
>>64112622
>>64112784
>>64112797
>>64112918

Update:
I tried to cancel the uninstall and the windows installer froze up. After I ended the task and went back into the list of installed programs the program that I wanted to delete was gone. Weird but if this lets me boot into windows normally I will be happy. Thanks for the replies!
>>
File: best girl sad.gif (692 KB, 340x281)
692 KB
692 KB GIF
>run minecraft server on Ubuntu
>want to fuck around with world in single player
>copy world folder to USB drive
>try to copy file from usb drive to windows
>nothing happens
>go back to ubuntu, try to change folder permissions
>read-only, can't change permissions
>sudo
>read-only, can't change permissions
I'm guessing there's a permission somewhere that's fucked, but how do I find out exactly what's wrong and how do I fix it?
>>
So I have an mp4 file for a movie and a separate .srt file for subtitles. If I just play the mp4, it won't play with subtitles so how do I add the .srt to the mp4?
>>
>>64114204
The USB drive is fat32 or ntfs, which doesn't support Unix style permissions (i.e. you can't chmod or sudo chmod).

Copying from windows should be fine though. Not sure what you mean by "nothing happens".
>>
>>64114252
I hit ctrl+c, go to the destination folder (or any folder on my pc), hit ctrl+v and nothing happens. Tried copying via right click, and it appears the folder is never copied in the first place.
>>
>Get nice M-Audio HDH50s for chrimbus
>they come with a comm cable mic
>try to test it
>horrible feedback if I try to listen to myself to test it

I'm dumb send help
>>
>>64114290
Seach how to "take ownership" of the usb device
>>
>>64114212
Never mind I figured it out
>>
What should I use to get tiling functionality in Windows 7 and 8.1?
>>
>>64108583
DeVeDe
>>
>>64114304
Get some fucking headphones jesus..
>>
why does sqrt2 x sqrt2 on some calculators come out to 1.999?
>>
>>64113499
But they do
>>
>>64114847
Because floating point numbers have limited precision, and some calculators don't handle this correctly. The floating point value at that precision is slightly less than the real value, because the end gets truncated off. This means that when you multiply it by itself, you end up with something slightly less than the correct value.
>>
Can a thief (thief!=nsa) get my saved password in firefox if he stole my windows laptop (but doesn't know the password of my user)?
>>
>>64114987
Is your laptop encrypted?
Yes -> No
No -> yes.

Then again, most thieves are retards and don't know how.
>>
>uninstall W10 and try various linux distros
>try to reinstall W10 later for gayming
>installation is succesful but system is unbearably slow, constant cpu usage with no cause
what did I do wrong?
>>
>>64115005
Thought so :(
But i get 50% read and 30% write speed performance loss if i encrypt
>>
>>64115070
??????????
That shouldn't be correct.
>>
I have a Dell 15 5555, while the display works i have no backlight, any ideas?
>>
If someone deletes me on Discord does they're profile linger on offline or does it disappear?
>>
>>64115251
Try re-seating the display cable. If that doesn't work, your backlight fuse is probably blown, and you should get a new LCD panel. You can buy them on Ebay, but make sure you get the exact correct part.
>>
>>64115103
ok look:
fresh install https://pastebin.com/m6Z8Q5dF
after system encryption with veracrypt https://pastebin.com/R5cN0ZTC
>>
File: file.png (81 KB, 911x728)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
Can I speed this up somehow?
Also, clicking "process now" doesn't do anything.
>>
>>64115284
What CPU, RAM, and storage disk do you have?
>>
>>64111750
I literally played the game start to finish, and it objectively has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, yet reddit seems to like it like every other mediocre "psychological" or every other slightly different from usual game.
So, a reddit tier game it is.
>>
>>64115032
It's probably the anti-malware service that runs in the background and can sometimes bug out, using 100% of one core and a shitton of disk bandwidth.
>>
>>64115304
>reddit seems to like it
It's a pretty neat game, and a lot of people on 4chan like it as well. Not liking something simply because reddit likes it is pretty stupid. I like chocolate, but I wouldn't stop liking it just because reddit likes it too.
>>
I just got my thinkpad t410, but for some reason my wireless is slow. REALLY spotty. How do i remedy this?
>>
>>64115327
Try using the proprietary driver.
>>
>fucking VLC won't show thumbnail previews on Windows 10

how do you fix this and get thumbnail previews to show up? I already used "thumbnails not icons" on the folder options
>>
>>64115281
>Reseat
Done, problem persists.

Isnt the backlight fuse in the motherboard?
>>
I’m just getting into computers and I’m wondering if it’s worth to learn Linux or is it a meme?
>>
>>64115318
I don't think you're aware that *those* people that like these type of games on 4chan actually has the mindset of a dumb redditor 90% of the time, and maybe even a redditor themselves. Those days of 4chan being le sekrit club is long gone.
>I like chocolate, but I wouldn't stop liking it just because reddit likes it too.
Bad analogy. I didn't stop liking the game after I saw reddit like it, I played the game without doing any research or reading reviews and simply got underwhelmed in the first place.
You can like it, I don't have a problem with it but if you praise it from being anything better than FOTM and use phrases like "masterpiece", "how can anyone not like this game", then you're a retarded redditor that needs to leave this site.
>>
>>64115306
thank you, will keep that in mind next time I attempt reinstalling
>>
>>64115296
>CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
>RAM
idk how to see it, but 16 GB
>disk
samsung 850 evo (500GB)
>>
>>64115363
Good point. If you have a multimeter, you should all the fuses on the board to see if they are intact (reading 0v), starting with the ones near the display cable.
>>
>>64115415
That's fairly strange for it to have that much of a performance hit. You could try using the hardware encryption on the 850 EVO.
>>
>>64115446
i know but that way i cant have both my ssd and hdd decrypted by typing just one password at boot, and i have read that it isn't as secure. i guess i'll still go with that set up tho
>>
>>64115293
nvm, figured it out
the option to change the bandwidth limit is in a weird place
>>
>>64108327
I have a video I want to convert to a webm, but I want to cut out a few bits.
I'm using webms for retards, which has a trim feature, but I can only use that once. Is there an easy way to cut the video down then convert it to a webm
>>
>>64115432
>One bad cap near the screen display
How, its not even 7 months old.
Dell told me to fuck off, so i guess i lose nothing for trying to fix it myself.
>>
>>64115386
Depends what you want to do. It's a good idea if you want to do more software things
>>
File: jsyffa805q701.jpg (175 KB, 1125x1570)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
Literally where do these screenshots come from. Are they twitter caps? Is this what instagram looks like? I never learned.
>>
>>64115699
Twitter cropping the poster name.
>>
>>64115712
Oh well that's just fucking rude now isn't it? But thank you, I've seriously seen so many people ask but not even one give context

>>64115730
Tbh it is with great shame I say that I caught this on the fp on reddit just now, and it is word for word lifted from an actual twitter cap of an actual person. I think it's high quality cause no one would plagiarize in the wild for the sake of a joke, I think.
>>
File: 1399844443550.jpg (8 KB, 700x721)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>64115730
Is WebP lossy?

Why the fuck are we still using JPG this days?
And why the fuck some sites (Twitter) turn a 5KB PNG into a 600KB JPG?
>>
>>64115765
Not him but I've saved an image as .webp on my tablet, and tried resaving on my desktop only to discover Firefox changed it to a jpeg. It appears to be a mobile-only format, at least right now, and I assume it's lossy otherwise the amended output'd have to be .png, right?
>>
Okay folks, what's the consensus on torrent clients? What do you recommend? What features are essential/favorites?
posting in here cause this doesn't need a thread, and I think it's been answered before
>>
any good keyboards you could recommend?
>>
>>64115908
Ducky Legend
Ducky Shine
>>
>>64108327
Well since it's the new year I've been spending time looking at what kind of degree I will be getting in college.

I've narrowed it down to STEM, problem is, I don't know what degree to go for.

I was thinking about working in automation, more specifically the creation of these devices. (fastfood touchscreen ordering, robots creating cars)

What degree should I go into for this sort of stuff?
>>
>>64115886
I know little about them, but I think it was one that is linux-exclusive but is standard for torrent sites because it's standard for seedboxes, that torrent clint being rtorrent (IIRC, maybe it was a different one).

For Windows I use qbittorrent but for several weeks now the colors have been black and blue, from a design overhaul. The tray icon is also not aliased properly. It is truly horrible, they even patched it after this design dropped to bring back double clicking a torrent to open the destination folder, not a parent folder above, so the design not reverting at this means it's here to stay. Don't touch qbittorrent with a 10-foot pole unless you like literal Sonic donut steel colors from your client. A Windows torrent client I've seen recommended was deluge, however I have no experience with it, nor do I know of other options, etc. Must be a convenient infograph giving some context somewhere.
>>
>>64113931
>After I ended the task and went back into the list of installed programs the program that I wanted to delete was gone
Partial uninstall. You can either manually delete any files, shortcuts and registry entries that are left, or give Revo Uninstaller a try.
>>
>>64114204
>>64114290
Did you umount the USB stick before yanking? That sounds like a damaged filesystem. Chkdsk it. Failing that, format and try again.
>>
Why do people care so much about football?
>>
>>64116196
Why do people care so much about <thing that interest you>
>>
File: 1514854530365.jpg (6 KB, 250x249)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>64108327
>parents just gave me an older laptop they have that they dont use anymore for school
>i5, okay graphics, mainly gonna use for mobile coding and browsing
Im resetting the windows, and after that I want to use a lightweight os. Something thatll let me browse, code, and take notes easily. What do?
>>
File: 33CFblZ.jpg (84 KB, 1280x850)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>64116307
Install Lubuntu.
>>
>>64116369
He said i5 and okay graphics, not Pentium 4 and GMA 950. He can run normal DEs. He doesn't need LXDE.
>>
>>64116307
opensuse KDE
>>
File: 1508174813792.png (77 KB, 500x500)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>64116411
Gentoo then
>>
Is there any explanation why my laptop's battery seems to hold much less of a charge? I have had for just about four months now. Is leaving it on charge overnight a bad idea, or maybe the cold weather.
>>
Why is WhatsApp and other similar messaging apps so popular in other countries, yet is nearly unused in the US?
>>
>>64116464
Depends, is your brighteness cranked up to max? Are you running CPU intensive shit?

>>64116475
Because Apple cucks
>>
what's that website that shows whether your IP address has been flagged for pirating?
>>
>>64116525
NSA.gov
>>
>>64116490
>Depends, is your brighteness cranked up to max? Are you running CPU intensive shit?
Just browser with 7 tabs open. My computer (Acer Aspire e15) originally could go like ten hours of light browsing but now the little battery icon gives my like 6-7 hours with nothing open at all. I'm not sure what to make of it. I still have a warranty and I'm thinking about sending it in because I also have had problems with it shutting off completely unexpectedly for no apparent reason (It happened 5 times a few days ago).
>>
>>64114635
those are headphones
>>
Does the expiration date for loratadine mean anything? I know for many meds it's bullshit but not sure about this specific one. Got a year's supply at Costco that will expire in about a year but I already have a few months left over from the last one I got so some will expire before I'm finished.
>>
File: RE1hqyR.jpg (57 KB, 752x423)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Does anyone use Firefox on a Windows Tablet (like the Surface)?
Before the Quantum update, swiping sideways would select text in Firefox, pretty much how notepad behaves with touchscreens.

This was great for browsing sites like 4chan but I don't know how to restore that since disabling the cellphone-like "accesible caret" doesn't change anything.
Please help.
>>
>>64116475
They are poor in other nations and cant afford SMS/MMS. Where as in the USA its common place to text your friends instead of using insecure third party applications that are spying on you on top of your Carrier spying on you
>>
>>64116525
Iknowwhatyoudownload
But its full of false positives.
It flagged me as downloading Big Buck Bunny illegally from their official website torrent.
>>
>>64108327
What's a good quick pdf viewer? I think I've used evince before, is that alright?
>>
>>64116608
>Does the expiration date for loratadine mean anything?
10 minutes after the expiration date the pills turn into cyanide. Take at your own risk.
>>
File: Untitled.png (16 KB, 281x332)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
I'm using Avidemux to cut some clips together
What are the best settings to use for the 3 respective categories (audio, video and output)?

I don't mean in terms of quality, just whatever will give me the least issues when it comes to putting the clips together and stuff. I find sometimes I'll save something and the clip as it plays in avidemux isn't how it actually plays with a frame or two missing

Thanks
>>
Is there a Firefox addon that'd make it so clicking a gellary thumbnail opens the direct full-size image, rather than the page with tags for it? If there's a booru addon that'd make my life on boorus easier in general I'd appreciate it, though I have accounts for none.
>>
>>64116644
How does one illegally download Big Buck Bunny?
>>
>>64116608
I've gone on using loratadine after it expired. Nothing happened to me and they seemed to work okay.

I've used benadryl that was a couple years expired too. It worked but if anything made me drowsier than normal benadryl, which was fine really because I was taking it at night partly as a sleep aid as well as for allergy relief.
>>
>>64116644
Is feeding this website my IP a bad idea?
>>
>VLC player not showing webm thumbnail preview in Win10

How do you get it to preview?
>>
What's a good ebook reader for Android?
>>
>>64116749
Just download media preview
I'm not sure VLC does thumbnails for webms. Recently I've noticed Chrome has started to
>>
Did windows 10 do away with the clicking sound when opening a folder?

It really bothers me that its not there, it feel like my sound isn't working every single time.

Theres little to nothing about this on the internet.
>>
>>64116749
I need this as well, for W7 if possible. When webm support first dropped on 4chan I was recommended a program called

>>64116766
You see this? Media Preview Configuration- that was what I was recommended. But it didn't generate VP9 webm thumbnails, only VP8, which is all 4chan still supports anyway for whatever reason. Maybe I need to download the latest version if any exists; I'll try that.
>>
>>64116475
>>64116631
The real reason is that SMS/MMS within the US is all the same. You can text from New York to California and it doesn't cost any more than texting your friend 2 houses down.

In Europe you pay international rates if your texting partner is in another country, many of which are really small.
>>
>>64116768
No it didn't
>>
>>64116803
Where the fucks my clicking gone
>>
>>64116821
I've no idea, maybe the monster under your bed stole it.
All I can suggest is checking "sounds"
>>
>>64116766
Not him but I have the latest version of that already and it doesn't generate VP9 webm thumbnails on Windows 7, pls help
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (12 KB, 400x448)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>64116803
>>64116821
Lies. I have Win10. Look, here's the Windows Default sound scheme. "Start Navigation" is your folder click sound. See how it's "(None)" by default? I changed it to chord.wav and now it goes BONK! whenever I open a folder.

The normal one you remember is "Windows Navigation Start.wav".
>>
>>64116838
Whats the clicking sound called? I know its Start Navigation action
>>
>>64116855
Ah ha! Thank you.
>>64116803
And to you.... Good day to you sir.
>>
>>64108327
How do you pirate intl movies? I'm trying to find Blind Detective (HK 2013) but cannot find a torrent.
>>
>>64116880
>>64116855
I swear I'm not lying, I literally checked my Windows 10 machine upon reading your post and clicking is there by default.
>>
File: Nk7WJhQ.jpg (17 KB, 270x320)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>64108327
I'm trying to make my power button suspend to RAM, but if I just add the line "pm-suspend" it goes back to sleep after a second when I turn it back on.
I made a text file so acpid can tell if the system is already asleep, but is there a more "professional looking" way to do it?
>>
ive been fucking around with computers in recent months. i built a new computer, installed linux and set up a virtual machine with gpu passthrough, but i havent done much on the software side of things
what's a good first programming language to learn?
>>
is there any way to make my phone use less space for videos?

i have a moto z with stock android and im confused since it records in 1080p but 1 minute videos are like 1.5gb? whats up with that
>>
Does the Windows 10 LTSB N version that a lot of /g/ uses support touchscreens?
I ask because my mother got a new Surface Pro laptop with 10 S on it for Christmas and just found out she can't install a program she needs for work on it since its not on the app store. I was going to just install the same version of windows I use and set it all up for her but I've never had a laptop with a touch screen so I never thought about what features it might really be missing.
>>
>>64116934
English is a good one to start with.
>>
>>64116934
Try Python. It shows useful backtraces when you have a problem, and there are good tutorials available.
>>
File: 1483895163177.png (49 KB, 375x455)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>64116948
>>
>>64116934
learn python or pascal or ruby or something then move to c# / java then to c++ or c then idk haskell and perl?
>>
>>64116935
most phones you can change the recording resolution for videos, so they take less space.
>>
how in the fuck do I filter
キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!
this
>>
How do I source black and white manga pages when yandex has failed me?

When/ why did Firefox start letting new window ads open two tabs in the new window? This is seriously ass. If I try to manually close it, if it opens a second tab within its instance before I try closing it, Firefox asks confirmation to close the window, which gives it more time to load or lengthens the amount of time I view it. Literally why is this allowed.
>>
Can kwlp files do harm or is it justblike css?
>>
File: B002L6HE9G-1.jpg (14 KB, 600x409)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
How do you copy music from an ipod nano 6th gen onto a computer? I have this used one and it came preloaded with songs but I can't remember what program I used on my old pc.
>>
>>64117198
Gotta blame whoever is hosting the website for bloating their content with third party scripts. Get NoScript and Adblock Plus
>>
Is it true that Blender cannot update without redownloading the full archive every time?
>>
>>64117278
Sharepod
>>
>>64117289
Thanks for the recs. I currently use uBlock Origin only, but I was looking for an adblocker that is off by default, but can be turned on for a website at a single click. Idk if Adblock Plus does that but yeah I'll try it.

I know uBlock Origin has a way to do what I was hoping it could above, but it requires submenu and clicking a specific box, I was confused and couldn't be arsed, so I just indiscriminately blocked everything with it...
>>
>>64117327
Seems pretty insecure. Why do you want to allow scripts without consent?
>>
>>64116657
I got SumatraPDF recommended on here. It looks simple but it does what I need it to.
>>
>>64117357
I mean I was using uBlock Origin with default settings, so it was supposedly blocking all ads, if you misinterpreted by "so I just indiscriminately blocked everything with it" remark. But if you mean like, why do I want ads off by default it's just that some websites ask you to disable them, or don't even ask at all, but display a message where the ad would be and says you could have the space if you bought their premium service. Makes me feel pretty bad. And many more sites I only visit once to extract something from then will never visit again in my lifetime. I didn't think ads could be that bad, so I thought I'd only blacklist ads on sight I find egregious.
>>
not sure how to ask this but is there some kind of good freeware program that is useful for organizing photos? I've racked up a huge amount of images over the years being on 4chan and other sources for a long ass time. just recently i've been interested in sorting them better than just folders. maybe some kind of visualization software or just something to help ease the pain of all my helping to tidy out all of huge 'unsorted' folders... kind of curious what other anons do/use for organizing their photos as well
>>
>>64117422
Add filter exceptions for the sites you want to support. It's not just about ads, it's about the potential code that runs on pop-unders. Preventing the scripts from running will allow you to load web pages faster and more securely.
>>
>>64117434
https://github.com/hydrusnetwork/hydrus

I don't use it myself yet but hydrus is an offline booru of your own saved images. It is its own image viewer and video player, I think.

There are really scary warnings (or at least a singular one I saw so far) in the documentation about hosting your own server to broadcast your personal booru basically, but I don't know how to do that or if you can conceivably do it accidentally. But yeah Hydrus lets you tag everything as if it were a booru. It discards filenames, though, so maybe use it alongside regular folders.
>>
>>64117219
The fuck is kwlp?
>>
>>64117469
Cheers, and thanks for the insight. I will definitely just try to add exceptions to sites I want to support, then, but block by default. But new window ads which open two tabs still happen on uBlock Origin on default settings, so I'm hoping NoScript puts an end to that.
>>
>>64117474

looks promising, will give it a try, thank you!
>>
>>64117524
I very rarely get them these days. If they still occur then the web host is probably a cunt.
>>
Best Bluetooth headphones for under $150. Over ear style with AptX and the ability to plug it in to headphone jack if needed.
>>
>>64117544
No problem. I discovered it just the other day and am pretty excited to get into it myself. It really does enable and validate hoarding, by basically removing the ceiling of you asking yourself if you'll really get back to content again. Cause you can put it under countless arbitrary distinctions
>>
>>64117560
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0EAYDI/ref=psdc_12097479011_t4_B06Y27HM9W
>>
>>64117560
Sennheiser HD 4.40BT
>>
File: 41d-q9giVbL._SY355_.jpg (11 KB, 355x355)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Every time I temporarily change a setting on my router, it gets bricked and I have to completely reset it manually. Like if I want to stop a game system from hogging the bandwidth for an update or some shit, I'll disallow its mac address from connecting to the router. Which works completely fine. The problem is that when I'm done and want to allow it to connect again, the router just completely stops working. Is this some kind of security feature to stop a hacker from reversing your settings? Is there anyway for me to disable this? It's just a basic piece of shit router/modem combo that came from the ISP, looks like pic related.
>>
>>64117560
They recently added AptX bluetooth to the 8323s.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24735
>>
Is there a way to bind the "Desktop site" toggle in Chrome android to bookmarks? Yandex and Reddit basically fuck you up the ass dry if you access the mobile site.
>>
>>64117703
How's the sound quality on these compared to the sennheiser 660s. Obviously not going to be near as good but is it at least something that is pleasant to listen to on the go and easy to throw in my bag when I'm not using them? I'd ideally like something that is durable and can fold down for easy storage.
>>
anyone have a recommendation for a cheap security camera? i own an apartment building(3 apartments, one of them I live in) and i caught one of my tenants trying to break into my other apartment which my friend occupies. i've been having problems with him forever but i feel i really need to get at least one security camera down
>>
>>64117696
Should be able to hard reset it to default settings and then configure it again. If the problems persist even after a firmware update then it's presumably normal. I don't know why you're utilizing mac filtering though. The gateway that I obtained from ATT used to do that when I was playing with MAC filtering as well.
>>
File: twitter.png (5 KB, 742x144)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Only place I could think of.
How do you follow twitter conversations?
I don't comprehend this site but there's people who force themselves to use it that are kind of important.
I'm in a situation where a reply to 3 users is made, I've been linked to this specific tweet but I'm not given any option to view what it's replying to.
It has replies to it that appear as if this was the initial post in the thread. Yet the tweet itself proclaims it's replies to some users via the interface (see pic). Clicking the links following "Replying to" doesn't get you to tweets it gets you to users.
I know this is barely tech but I really don't have any other place to ask. There MUST be something I'm missing here.
>>
>>64117748
The ohms and frequency range are pretty shit, but that's what you can expect when you start using wireless headphones.
>>
>>64117760
Yeah, every time I fuck it up, I do a hard reset. It's just annoying because I keep forgetting about it and end up making the same mistake. I'm on a cheap ass internet plan, so sometimes I have to filter the mac addresses of the game systems my brother has hooked up, because their updates take up literally all of our bandwidth and it's impossible to use the internet while they're updating.
>>
>>64117801
You should potentially acquire a router that has more features and then put the gateway into bridge mode so it acts strictly as a modem. That way you can do bandwidth limitations as opposed to completely removing the device from the network.
>>
>>64117671
This. Good cans from a reputable brand that knows their shit and doesn't put out anything shit.
>>
>>64117836
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that if I ever get the money for my own router rather than just using the ISP's.
>>
>>64117866
Could likely convince another member of the household to invest with you, they're only about 60 dollars. Just gotta bring to light some benefits to them, such as better wireless signals and better connections for all your devices, ect.
>>
>>64108443
last time i made a dvd, i used tmpgenc xpress (mpeg encoding) and DVDLab PRO
i would use ffmpeg now instead of tmpgenc, and i guess i'd still use DVDLab, since it works in Wine, and is a pretty nice suite
>>
whats the evo 850 of hdd's?
>>
How do you delete duplicate files within a directory? using MD5 or SHA1 value or whatever, as long as it works.
>>
>>64118028
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
>>
>>64118040
diff
>>
>>64118040
Which OS and do you have a screenshot?
>>64118028
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-10000RPM-3-5-inch-ST39175LC/dp/B00348TXY4
>>
>>64108583
I was using an application called ConvertXToDVD for a while, but their piracy detection evolved quite a bit. May have to block the application in the firewall.
>>
>>64118077
how many TB is that drive
>>
>>64118120
>https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-10000RPM-3-5-inch-ST39175LC/dp/B00348TXY4
Kek, overlooked that it's under 10GB - Thought it was going to be near 10TB at first.
>>
>>64118077
>Which OS and do you have a screenshot?
I'm on Win7 but I can use MinGW too if there's anything that works in it. There isn't much to see, it's just a folder with 4k files with the same name pattern, like file0001.bin, file0666.bin, file3476.bin etc, half of them are duplicates, the size goes up to 20 MB and I need to purge them.

>>64118069
How do I use that with 4k files 10+ MB each? can diff even delete files in the first place?
>>
App that lets you listen to YouTube in the background?
>>
>>64118280
newpipe
>>
File: 1460762295568.jpg (24 KB, 378x438)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I just upgraded from Blender 2.70 to 2.79 and holy fuck what the hell happened to "Lock to cursor" function? it's utter shit now, the old one was much better. Is it possible to use the old version?
>>
File: 1504141279060.jpg (132 KB, 1371x1005)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>64117324
Thanks anon I just downloaded and it worked. Now I'm gonna try with my other old ipod before it completely stops working.
>>
File: 1336127256512.jpg (313 KB, 463x2880)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
I'm old and dumb.
I need a free (or not) video editor that is simple to use. Simple.
I have used avidemux years ago. Is that a good option?
>>
File: 1508975225363.jpg (27 KB, 782x577)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>64111312
To get richer anon. For the chance to believe that they will go from being a nobody to a somebody. It's like a gold rush online and everyone wants to be a millionaire.
>>
I viewed a webpage several days ago that has since changed, and I would like to view the way it was when I viewed it a few days ago. I'm using Chrome. Is there a way to do this?
>>
>>64116934
http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
>>
>>64118938
check archive.org's wayback machine
>>
>>64118968
Thank you for the suggestion but I tried that before posting here, and it's not archived. I'm only looking for versions of it I've accessed since the 26th or so.
>>
>>64119001
did you save a copy of it?
>>
>>64119015
No I didn't. Checked a cached version from Google search and the most recent one they have is from mid November. I was hoping it would be cached on my computer in temporary files or something
>>
>>64119039
i don't think modern browsers have a proper offline mode anymore
plus, if you've viewed the page since, the cache will have been partially overwritten
plus plus, websites have so much dynamic content these days that i'm not sure how useful an offline mode would be anyway
>>
File: Screenshot.png (51 KB, 391x432)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
wireless nic on my lan disappears from the router status of connected devices, doesn't respond ping and my vnc viewer loses connection with it... but it doesn't actually turn off, it just keeps working as if nothing has happened.

What's wrong with this wnic?
>>
I know it's still stupid, but does messenger have all that shitty stuff the facebook app does?
Obviously isn't /g/ approved, but is it okay enough for normie use without getting complete analed by corporate greed?
>>
>should I use the cables from my psu or my gpu?
>how do I know which cables to use when none of my manuals explain beyond "plug power in"?
>>
I ordered a new intel cpu for a completely new build literally yesterday before all this intel 30% meme drama started. I can still cancel the order and reorder the cpu/mb for AMD parts.
should I? Is this an actual problem or a big overblown meme?
>>
File: Fish & Sea (84).jpg (151 KB, 1920x1200)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>64118633
plz reply
>>
File: Swing-analogy-1.jpg (236 KB, 1288x630)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>64108327
My Samsung A5 doesn't alert me of received emails. This is a problem because I need to receive my emails in timely manner. This manifests as a bombardment of messages sometimes when I randombly check the time from the phone. I think the phone is cutting the network when it's been on standby long enough.

Here are the options I've tried
>No power savings
>Exception for Outlook to be never set on power saving mode
>Outlook set as the main priority in the notifications menu
>>
>>64119554
should be labeled on the pci-e for gpu- and cpu for, cpu
>>
Shouldn't my samsung earphones' microphone work on my PC? I looked in recording devices but they're not showing up. They work in my iphone and macbook pro but not my pc
>>
>>64119703
What about fans, usb, leds and all that? Or are the case things all powered by the mobo via the big 24pin?
>>
i've bought a new computer in september, but somehow i've managed to brick it. maybe it's just a faulty HDD. i'm currently running w10 but want to switch back to w7 since i've never had any problems with it.

are there any arguments against upgrading to w7?
>>
Is the intel security vulnerability going to fix itself on my windows computer automatically? Or is it on a level below that
>>
>>64120289
if you're on windows 10 expect news of an update come january 4 when embargo lifts, then wait weeks for actual update to be forcefed down your babby mouth
>>
I want to install debian9 with win10 on uefi/gpt, partition scheme looks like this:
~winshit~
efi partition created by win10
~winshit~
/boot
lvm on luks with /root
When i install it like this, i'm prompted luks passphrase twice unless i drop into shell during installation and add GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y to /etc/default/grub and then it works properly.
However, when i do the same steps and choose to install Gnome3, i'm still prompted passphrase twice. What am i doing wrong?
>>
>>64116155
Yeah, but every other file on the stick is fine, it's just the one folder.
>>
File: rikmyn.png (3 KB, 1084x87)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
So, my PC has always been hardwired but recently i've been having a lot of internet issues, for instance, my internet will randomly disconnect without a wire ever being touched, and now my link speed has started fluctuating between 100mbps, 1gbps, and now 10mbps. What the FUCK is happening
>>
>>64120597
Ok, when i installed it without editing /etc/default/grub, it worked.
>>
Hello everyone. I have one question - i've been meaning to buy laptop battery for Asus X550C (it's written like that on the back) but then i've looked onto system properties and there it shows that system model is X550CA. Should i buy battery for X550CA or X550C?
>>
When did hiroyuki remove the external ad scripts?
What happened?

Had been off 4chan since about Christmas due to that shit and only checked back now.
>>
>>64120883
I'm 99% sure without investigating it, that the batteries of similar models are compatible anyway.
>>
Alright so neither Veracrypt nor truecrypt work on my thinkpad x200 (they both fail at the pre-boot authentification test/are stuck on "Booting" after you type in the password), what are some good encryption alternatives to these two programs
>>
>>64120956
It was there pretty recently. I guess he wasn't getting enough cash out of it to be worth angering the bees. Or more likely it was just a beta test of the idea, to see what would happen.
>>
>>64120173
Convenience. Windows 10 is the expected OS these days, although most shit still works on 7, excluding microsoft made games. MS does their best to make 7 a pain wherever they can. You have to manually install some updates to get Windows update working, and do a hack to keep them working since MS blocks them on newer processors. And you have to patch your drivers to get it to install in the first place, and not all hardware has drivers for 7, especially in laptops. But once you get past the basics it works well enough, and you don't have to worry about the rollercoaster of updates, ads and megatelemetry that is 10.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/
http://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
http://pastebin.com/quC0gz4j

If it's a a faulty drive you should be able to test that, either by running the diagnostic utility that came with your laptop, or better yet running a S.M.A.R.T. utility from a bootable copy of linux. Also it's 2017, if you spend a lot of time on that pc, bite the bullet and get an SSD.
>>
>>64121123
>to be worth angering the bees

Was there any uprising on /g/?
I only saw the first few threads when that shit popped up, and it didn't look like anything was starting.
Frankly said, I had already parted with 4chan. Feels good to know I could survive without it.
>>
File: 1514160174875.png (56 KB, 621x702)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Can someone explain to me what's the catch. I have to choose between the two virtual servers:

First Server:
16G ram
1 TB bandwidth
256 SSD
30$

Second Server:
32G ram
500 SSD
Unlimited traffic
25 $

What's the catch? Server #2 is better, and cheeper, how is it possible that for almost the same price tag?
>>
>>64121229
I wouldn't glorify anything that's ever happened on /g/ with the word "uprising". But if something is earning you next to nothing it might not be worth pissing off your userbase over. Or it may just have been a trial run to see how pissed people would get, or how long it would take ublock/4chanx to adapt.
>>
Hi /g/, I have a question that doesn't deserve its own thread IMO but fits best here.
I had to create a Facebook account for work, it's empty and I plan to delete it afterwards, but I will absolutely need to access it from my phone from time to time.
If I do so, will I see the profiles of people who have my number in my friend suggestions , and , more crucially, will they see me in their friend suggestions ?
I don't wish this account to be connected to anything outside of work.
I can't use a pseudonym

I've seen people say that FB can do that, but since I'm technologically retarded and research gives me conflicting results, I hope that this savier board can help.
>>
>>64121620
help plz
>>
Been using a 32" 1080p TV screen as a pc monitor for 5 years now and want something new. Are 144hz monitors any good or is the refresh rate just a meme? Or what would be better in general 27" 4k monitor or 27" 1080p 144hz?
>>
>>64121695
Not so much a meme, it's just most people don't notice if their mouse movement is a little smoother, and outside of gaming there's not much content over 60hz. Also even going up to 60 is weird on movies. It doesn't scale perfectly for FHD content, but most people find 27inch at 1440p to be pretty solid, without being as hard to drive as 4k.
>>
>>64121506
why would a workplace require that? must be a really shitty place probably with women in high positions
>>
The amplifier board in my Boston acoustics ba735 subwoofer went out. I haven't been able to find a replacement board that's oem, but I still have the actual speaker. So far I've looked at this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0181Z4M4A.
I can't find any ones with good reviews. It needs to be 60 watts but 40 would also do.
>>
>>64121870
I've also found this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C42WWRK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_chotAbCXN6WM2
>>
Is it better to not bid on an ebay auction until the last moment while keeping tabs on it manually, to make its activity seem lower, lowering the guard of potential buyers before sneaking in a bid in the last 5-10 minutes hoping they didn't expect that to happen on the near-dead listing?
Or bid on it and watch it to inflate its activity, and possibly scare others (who aren't prepared to fight a bidding war) away?
>>
File: 1506019340666.jpg (93 KB, 750x636)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
im buying kaby lake
can i get an approved guide for either installing win7 on it or un-spywared win10?
>>
What hard drive should I use for QBittorrent? Recently upgraded to 350mbit connection and my 3tb usb3 drive can't handle it. It starts to choke at roughly 25mbyte/s with the hard drive showing 100% activity.
>>
i have an old laptop i want to use
>1.4ghz cpu
>256mb ddr2 533 ram
>128mb gpu
what os do i install?
>>
>>64116707
Torrenting ≠ illegally downloading
>>
>>64122337
>im buying kaby lake
Hold for a few days and see what comes out of this latest critical Intel bug hysteria. We'll see more details soon.
Great cosplay.
>>
What's a good USB carrying case? Like something I can put in my pocket.
>>
>>64122442
XP
>>
>>64122608
What's a USB carrying case?
>>
>>64122608
How about a box that you can fit in your pocket?
i don't see how a $500 gold plated titanium carrying case with two factor authorization is any better
>>
>>64122654
Not looking for that nor did I suggest it.
Just something I can put in my pocket and carry around a USB.
>>
>>64122687
>carry around a USB.
>a USB.
>one (1) USB.
put USB in pocket

get one of those plastic cover things if you're allergic to getting dust on your USB
>>
File: 1497424770534.jpg (181 KB, 1080x1079)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>64122603
i just read up on it
thought it only affects some models on linux
well fuck me, my gpu just died and my ayymd has no integrated graphics
>>
>>64122687
What the hell are you looking for?
What do you mean "carry around a USB"?
Thumb drives can just be placed in your pocket, if you have many, use a keychain
>>
>>64122631
last time i had xp on it it barely ran
im looking for something lightweight
>>
>>64122748
What do you plan on using it for?
Try lubuntu
>>
>>64122442
>>64122748
Literally any minimal Linux install. I recommend Void, or perhaps a binary Gentoo-based distro (say CloverOS for example), but literally any distro with XFCE or lighter should work just fine. You could install Ubuntu with XFCE if you wanted.
If XFCE turns out to be too heavy, LXDE might help, or find a tiling window manager to your liking
>>
>>64122608
Do you want like a carrying case that's USB capable?
Or a carry case for USB sticks?

If it's the latter just put them on your fucking keychain
>>
>>64122771
posting, emulating, backend web dev but as >>64122794 said i think im gonna go with lubuntu
>>
I just bought a CSR Bluetooth dongle. I've installed all drivers, the blue BT icon shows up in the taskbar, but I can't find any devices and Windows troubleshooter says the system has no bluetooth capability. Is this Win10 acting up, is the dongle faulty, is there a setting I missed somewhere?
>>
>>64122848
Note that while I haven't compared them myself, I've heard people saying that in this day and age the difference between lxde and xfce is minimal. Xfce is noticeably more full-featured, though.
So up to you if you want to bother, but if I were you, I'd try xfce first and then knock down to lxde if it does turn out to be too slow
>>
>>64122848
>posting with 256 mb of ram
my old laptop with 1 gb of ram struggles on 4chan, is it possible to upgrade it's ram at all?
>>
>>64118633
Sony Vegas
>>
Not sure if this even belongs here, but recently reclining in my computer chair is giving me some insane neck pain, is a setting in my chair off or something?
>>
File: case.jpg (177 KB, 1500x1500)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>64122608
Is this what you are looking for?
these things have been obsolete for a long time.
Every case would be too large to have in a pocket anyway. Why not just get a pencil case? It seems cheaper and more compact and with more options depending on what you need.
The biggest flaw in this picture is that thumb drives are not that big anymore and it mostly only applies to cords.
>>
>>64122878
it's just a graphics enviroment
>>64122892
it says mine can be upgraded to 4gb but why would anyone upgrade a 1.4ghz with basically no gpu
also be sure to use a good browser and block hiro's malware
>>
>>64123131
>it's just a graphics enviroment
Which can be one of the most demanding parts of an otherwise minimal system

>>64122892
>my old laptop with 1 gb of ram struggles on 4chan
Use a better browser. Honestly consider using a text browser. Also check out qtchan
>>
Is it possible to install a custom rom like Lineage or w/e on the AT&T S7? Or did it get fucked with a locked bootloader like the S5 did?
>>
File: 15891231.jpg (114 KB, 620x881)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>burn lubuntu dvd
>select boot from cd/dvd
>operating system not found
???
>>
Is there a safe limit you can overclock on stock CPUs and GPUs or would the difference be so small it's not worth it?
>>
Can someone direct me to a list of computer models with Ryzen mobile CPUs? Preferably one that continues to update with new releases.
My search wording must be weak because I keep getting articles about the swift 3 and x360 but nothing else.

On the same topic; are there any pen input mobiles with Ryzen and thunderbolt 3 out or announced?
>>
>>64123354
>stock CPUs and GPUs
What
The overclocking depends on three things mainly:
>power supply
Higher clocks obviously draw more power; usually not an issue in desktops since PSUs are usually overkill
>thermals
Probably the main limiting factor; huge issue in laptops since these often have thermal issues on stock during extreme loads, never mind OC. On a desktop if you have a shit cooler just get a better one
>everything must be unlocked and support OC
There are locked intel CPUs which don't allow OCing at all. No idea about AMD. Your BIOS/mobo might also have either no support, or really poor support.
>>
pihole doesnt block shit for me anymore
i try to change the dns that pihole wants me to and then i cant open 4chan
and i never had to mess with resolv.conf before, why is this happening now
i used to use network-manager and it worked fine
help me out here
>>
>>64123245
What method did you use to burn it?
>>
Why did AMD cost $40/share in 2006 and just $12 now?
>>
File: capturexd.png (112 KB, 827x1008)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
new ssd. is output fine?
>>
Why can't we have an ARM based CPU for general computing in Linux, say about as powerful as an FX-6300? Is ARM not there yet?
>>
>>64124062
>no name chink brand
Its going to die within 3 months
>>
>>64124167
why its only "good"? i thought there can be like "very good" as max
>>
>>64123435
I meant stock cooling
>>
>>64123755
AMD had something to offer back then. There was Athlon and Opteron, which were "ok" alternatives to C2 Duo. When Bulldozer came out a few years later, the performance gap widened and it got progressively wider as the years passed. So AMD had very little to offer in the PC market, server market, and the mobile market which was exploding back then. Only just recently is AMD offering something compelling to all of those markets.
>>
>>64124205
Assuming the other two constraints are satisfied, watch your temps and try
You can also undervolt. This improves temperatures, but reduces stability. Typically people overvolt for overclocking to improve stability at higher clocks, but in your case if temperature is the limiting factor an undervolt might actually help.

I can't say more without better info. Also a decent cooler can cost like $30 so I'm not sure what's the point
>>
>>64123647
HEEEELPPP
>>
>>64124226
Thanku
Si with the Intel exploit news, good time to long amd?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.