[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 044.jpg (48 KB, 480x480)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/796840

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
How do you create a file with a certain attribute, like a desktop file for example? You can't just put .desktop at the end right?
>>
>Try to install Linux on laptop
>boot from usb drive
>some fucked problem I don't even know how to google
>tfw need someone to hold my hand installing os
Feels bad man. I don't think Linux is for me.
>>
Using firejail. When i launch firefox with firejail it "cant find profile directory". Yet ".mozilla" is whitelisted in firefox.profile. Is there something else i am missing?
>>
>>64111254
Try a different distro
>>
>>64111270
I tried Solus first and when that gave me problems I tried Ubuntu. Same thing.
>>
CPU: Ryzen 1600
GPU: Nvidia gtx 1050 ti
RAM: 8 Gb
What distro should I choose to have best performance ?
>>
excellent OP image

how can i join the small peepee club?
>>
>>64111333
what did you use to create a bootable USB?
dd/win32diskimager or shit like rufus/unetbootin/lili?

also checked
>>
I've been running some old games w/ wine on an old laptop with a i5-2520M but the performance has been pretty bad, are there any alternatives to wine I can look into or something in wine I can config to help it run better?
>>
>>64111441
Rufus. That's what both the Solus and the Ubuntu guides told me to do.
>>
>>64111468
now try this:
1. download win32diskimager https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
2. use it to write your ubuntu iso to a pendrive
3. it SHOULD work.
4. later use gparted from ubuntu or the "hp usb disk format tool" from windows to format your pendrive
>>
>>64110801
>>64111441
>>64111468
>>64111705
Could someone please explain to me the difference between:
>creating a bootable flash drive with "persistent storage"
>just installing linux the normal way and selecting the flash drive as the install media
Is there a real difference between the two? Does the former use a different filesystem that reduces wear-and-tear on the flash drive?
>>
>>64111705
Alright, i'll try.
>>
>>64111806
One installs the system on the flash drive, the other install the system on the hard drive. I would guess.
>>
>>64111806
>creating a bootable flash drive with "persistent storage"
Live systems are read only. "persistent storage" means there is a special file containing an "overlay filesystem" where changes to the otherwise readonly system are stored. The size of this file determines how much changes you can do and keep. If you delete this file, you made a "factory reset" and you are back to an untouched live system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OverlayFS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufs

>just installing linux the normal way and selecting the flash drive as the install media
It's what you said: you install a normal gnu+linux system but not a hard disk but on a USB device. Changes made to the filesystem are made directly to the fs.
>>
>>64111260
Firejail is USELESS. If you have anything outside of your home directory, such as /media or /mnt, you cant access it within the jails. The author is completely incompetent and refuses to admit to this downfall or fix it.

You dont need it
>>
>>64110832
I'm not too sure. Maybe take a look at this.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_entries
>>
File: 20180103_012534.jpg (3.24 MB, 2560x1920)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
>>64111705
No dice.
I have no idea what any of this means or what to do about it.
>>
>>64113069
Your hub is broken
>>
>>64113083
I'm not using a hub.
>>
>>64113113
Your entire usb block of connections are broken, this is commonly refered to as a "hub"
>>
>>64113164
I'm inclined not believe you. This is a new computer, and haven't noticed any problems up to no.
>>
>>64113194
Read your log buddy.
It cant get a hardware address on ANY port you have in that cluster
>>
Got a refurb laptop with no OS so I've been looking to put a Linux distro on it and get away from Windows. I'll only be using it for browsing, word processing, and some media. I'm fine with libreoffice so Word isn't a requirement for me.
I've been trying out distros in a virtual machine. So far I've tried Ubunutu (Budgie, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, standard), Manjaro, Manjaro with Cinnamon, and Fedora.
I think I like the KDE or Cinnamon DE the best from the ones I've tried and am leaning towards Fedora or Manjaro with Cinnamon so far.
I'm no computer genius so I don't think I'd be able to deal with Arch or Gentoo.
Are there benefits or negatives between Fedora or Manjaro I should be aware of?
>>
File: Wayland.png (9 KB, 200x200)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
This is your future
>>
>>64113227
I'm not advocating for it, but you should consider trying out ElementaryOS as well for the hell of it.
>>
>>64113227
makes no difference to the average user
just pick kde or cinnamon and slap it on anything that isnt linux mint
>>
>>64113247
I will learn how to program and maintain X11 my self before i use that piece of garbage
>>
>>64113214
Then how am I able to read and write to the flash drive?
>>
>>64113298
What's wrong with mint?
>>
>>64113264
I actually did try Zorin and Elementary. They looked good, but from what I understand it's not encouraged to use the downstream distros?
>>
>>64110832
What do you mean by 'attribute'?
>>
>>64113398
Nothing wrong with using a "downstream" distro... Ubuntu is _technically_ downstream. Pick what you like and - unless someone can come up with some actual issues with the distro for a "casual" user (term not used derogatorily!)
>>
>>64112167
>>64113446
Nevermind I just copied another desktop file to make it. By attribute I mean like the file type (png, plain text, etc.). Because I know on GNU/Linux systems the file extension does not actually mean anything like it does on Windows, correct?
>>
i currently have 2 hard disks i use one for my host and boot off one from virtual machine. Could i just partition one drive and accomplish the same thing or is that not possible? I plan on getting an nvme in the future but i want to know if i could partition it and use one partition for the host and one for the virtual machine or if it has to be to physically separated drives.
>>
>>64113637
i use kvm/qemu btw
>>
>>64113580
It technically doesn't mean anything on Windows either. It's just a hint for the system to know what to do with it. Naming a file .png doesn't make it a png file, on Windows. It's all up to how a program interprets the encoding of the file.
>>
>>64113580
Typically you use "magic" bytes instead of extensions, that is what for example the kernel uses to execute a file. Like the initial bytes of a file in an ELF executable or the "#!" of an executable script. You also have things like the `file' command which is an aggressive scan of the file to look for known patterns and "magic bytes".

DEs like GNOME/KDE add MIME types and stuff which takes file extensions into account when determining how to deal with a file. It uses extensions, filename patterns and magic bytes to determine the filetype.

Even a text editor needs to take file extensions into account, try programming something to tell the difference between .c, .cpp, .cs .... and you'll blow brains out before it becomes useful.
>>
Can I run icecat on windows 10? If yes is it worth it or should I just stick with Pale Moon?
>>
>>64111420
Gentoo
>>
>>64113865
Isn't that the debian distribution of firefox? I don't think you could run it natively, you could try cross-compiling it though. If not you could run a debian VM with cygwin X server on windows and X forward through SSH.

>is it worth it
probably not.
>>
>>64113397
It has shit security. I think a bunch of Belarussians hackers put some sort of malware on the actual iso a couple years back.
>>
how do i install gentoo on my graphing calculator
>>
>>64114002
What about GNUzilla? Same? I've developed an interest in Firefox alternatives but the only two that seem to work and be worthwhile are Pale Moon and Waterfox.
>>
>>64114120
You probably don't. Your calculator likely has a microcontroller with limited resources, not a microprocessor with all the trimmings you need.
>>
>>64113782
>>64113834
Alright thanks for the info
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 1288x863)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>64114190
I don't know about these specific projects, some of them might have a windows port. You might be able to compile them through cygwin.

If you really want GNU/Linux GUI applications on windows, the very best is a VM. You run the VM headless and use X forwarding with cygwin X server(XWin).

pic related is running through cygwin:

$ ssh -YC dev@arch-vm urxvt

It's an X11 window, rendered by the VM but on your windows desktop. You can make shortcuts to run the commands and add your own icons and stuff. A billion times better than the linux on windows shitsystem by MS.
>>
>>64114002
No you're thinking of Iceweasel. Icecat is a GNU rebranding of Firefox, Iceweasel is a rebranding specifically for the Debian distro. I don't think the latter is still being used anymore though.
>>64114190
GNUzilla is actually the whole suite of software including Icecat, though the only one that is still in development is Icecat. It's a rebranding of the Mozilla Suite for GNU (includes Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.). So to summarize, Mozilla is to GNU as the Mozilla Suite is to GNUzilla as Firefox is to Icecat.

Not quite sure about using it on Windows but I know there isn't an official release for it. I don't really see a purpose for using it on Windows though as it's basically just Firefox ESR with some extra privacy addons, so if you're on Windows 10 you're probably already fucked. Pale Moon should be fine to stick with if you're already using that.
>>
gnu talk kills the thread.
>>
>>64115647
Whom?
>>
>>64113446
Like Light, Dark, Wind, etc...
>>
>>64116282
wat
>>
linux is malware that can actually harm the users sanity
>>
why did he seppuku
>>
File: screenshot.png (120 KB, 1919x1007)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
6 months since the last update, ~300 packages. I wonder if anything's gonna explode.
>>
>>64117924
Unlikely, just read all the warnings when it installs.
>>
Do you know anything to delete duplicate files within a directory? based on MD5 value or something like that.
>>
Is there some repo for dwm patches that aren't completely fucking broken? I like how basic it is and how everything can be launched through keyboard input
But fucking HELL introducing any other kind of basic functions is a nightmare because every diff file requires the previous 16 in sequence to actually apply or load.
>>
https://superuser.com/questions/487810/find-all-duplicate-files-by-md5-hash
Try google.
>>
>>64118024
fdupes
it's a command line utility, though
>>
>>64118024
pretty quick to implement.

#!/bin/bash

declare -A sums

for file; do
[[ -f ${file} ]] || continue
read sum _ < <(md5sum "${file}")
(( sums[$sum]++ )) && echo "${file}"
done

~ $ md5sum test/*
d3b07384d113edec49eaa6238ad5ff00 test/a
c157a79031e1c40f85931829bc5fc552 test/b
d3b07384d113edec49eaa6238ad5ff00 test/c
~ $ ./dups.sh test/*
test/c

It will print files duplicates, to delete just pass to xargs.

~ $ ./dups.sh test/* | xargs rm -v
removed 'test/c'

For recursive just add globstar to your shell(you should probably .bashrc it) and glob away.

~ $ shopt -s globstar
~ $ ./dups.sh test/**/*.jpg
>>
>>64118162
< <(cmd)

I don't understand this why not just pipe it?
>>
File: image.png (1.94 MB, 1920x1080)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>>64117924
>>64117955
Well I can't start my DE or connect to wifi anymore. Nice.
>>
>>64118296
Every command in a pipeline is run in a subshell(seperate process), so the last read will set the variable "sum" but in a different process. After the pipeline is done, sum is still unset in the calling process.

This is a huge pain in the ass to figure out yourself. It seems simple what this should do but it doesn't.

$ echo hi | read var

< <() is just a hack so that read is run in the current process. In scripts you can also shopt -s lastpipe.
>>
>>64118342
This is why I think anyone who says the current mainstream package managers are good enough is talking out their ass. Shit does break.
Yes it can be avoided, and yes it can usually be fixed, but it still shouldn't happen in the first place, even if you go a year or more without updating. It's another reason why I'm crossing my fingers for declarative package managers to go mainstream. Then update breakage will be entirely a thing of the past.

Good luck solving your problem anon
>systemd failure
lol, you're really going to need it
>>
>>64118472

>package manager is at fault when his things stop working
You're not the smartest, are you?
>>
>>64118572
Read the 1st sentence of my post. That's you. Quit pretending you have more experience than you actually do.
>>
>>64118472
Yeah I'm thinking of just wiping it clean and restarting. I can still get into the TTYs or whatever but apparently my wifi and ethernet interfaces aren't detected anymore. The logs/systemd journal aren't helping either, apparently they're rotated and incomplete so for those errors while booting they don't list anything other than the process returned with an error code, and I don't know enough about Linux to go any deeper.
>>
>>64118609

I read it. How is the software which just installs a new version of other software to blame when the new version of the software introduces new behaviour?
>>
>>64118617
I'm genuinely surpised at this though, I didn't think it would fuck up this much. It's most likely fixable but I have no idea what to do with no useful logs.
>>
>>64118631
>just installs a new version of other software
Package managers are responsible for much more than just that.
>>
>>64118617

What did you type to view the logs?
>>
>>64118654

They track grouped files and handle their removal, update and other files outside of that group which are needed for the files in said group to function.
What do you have your package manager do?
>>
>>64118657
The two listed when booting (systemctl status systemd-sysctl.service/ufw.service), journalctl, dmesg and I poked around in /var/log and saw nothing useful.
>>
>>64118682
>update and other files outside of that group which are needed for the files in said group to function.
And almost all package managers fail to do this correctly in certain cases. For example, not updating for 6 months >>64117924
>>
>>64118732

So, where is your proof that the package manager caused it and not the updated program itself together with the user's old configuration?
The package manager installed everything it was told and successfully, since he didn't report any installation errors.

>>64118726

Look into which packages were updated and read their news. I also doubt that you can't find anything in the logs.
>>
>>64118803
>The package manager installed everything it was told and successfully
According to the package manager itself. That doesn't mean it's true. Updates involve more than just installing new shit and even updating their dependencies. Often existing versions of libraries or software that are _not_ upgraded still require rebuilds in order to function right after an update. Some software even requires special scripts to be run when just its dependencies change or receive updates.
These things usually all work nicely as long as the user stays on top of updates, but if they fall behind then the package manager is often not capable of properly reconciling all the steps necessary to ensure everything functions right.

Do you understand why there is such an obsession these days with containerizing things? Because some-library-1.0.so might give very different behavior on two different machines just by merely being compiled with a different version of gcc or with a slightly different version of that libraries dependency.
It's a very complicated problem. It absolutely is possible for things to break upon updating to no fault of the user.
>>
>>64118895

>Often existing versions of libraries or software that are _not_ upgraded still require rebuilds in order to function right after an update.
That's outside of a package manger's scope. It INSTALLS packages, it doesn't build them.

>Some software even requires special scripts to be run when just its dependencies change or receive updates.
Again, that's not a package manger's job. Most support running things upon various times, like pre-install or post-install. It's the PACKAGER'S fault if he doesn't do that.

>just by merely being compiled with a different version of gcc or with a slightly different version of that libraries dependency.
Not in this case. As long as he updates everything together, as he should as it's mentioned in the man pages and elsewhere, such things wouldn't happen.
>>
Guys, my new X230 battery keeps running out at about 35%. Even after recalibrating with TLP and installing the Thinkpad modules. Also tried disabling the charging thresholds.

Did I simply get chinked or what?
>>
>>64119003
I think the people with 10 thinkpads each might be better suited to answer your question: >>64113162
>>
>>64119003

Did you check the battery data in /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/ ? Poke around to see if everything is according to the item you bought.
>>
>>64118942
>It's the PACKAGER'S fault if he doesn't do that.
This is just splitting hairs. If it's the fault of the maintainers that still doesn't change the fact that shit might break when the user updates their machine through no fault of their own.
And that's not just some minor technicality, I'd say that's a general principle. The problem can often be so complicated it would be almost impossible for the maintainers to add special code just for people with very outdated software. And then where should they draw the line? 6 months? A year? 5 years?

Maintainers are not robots, they make mistakes too and often necessary steps needed for a successful upgrade only becomes apparent to them through testing. But they don't always have severely outdated machines on hand to run those same tests on. It might be that they require some additional treatment that the maintainer won't catch.
>>
>>64119047
>>64119032
Thanks, I will try that.
>>
>>64119112
Adding onto this. So maybe to clarify, when I originally said that all the mainstream package managers aren't good enough maybe I should have instead referred to the whole process of upgrades in general. It's not that the package manager software has bugs or anything, it's just that the whole process, and the defined behavior of package managers (even though functioning properly) isn't good enough and still can cause breakage.
>>
>A system problem has been detected, do you want to report it
How do I stop this shit filling up /var/crashlog every time I suspend?
>>
>>64120112
Disable update-notifier and rm those logs.
>>
i have a corsair k70 (yes yes i know, doesnt officially support linux) and sometimes seemingly at random it stops working as soon as systemd loads after working fine in bios and grub and the pc needs restarting a bunch of times to get it working again, then it works for another week or two so just fine before randomly stopping working again until i restart the pc like 10 times. it never stops working in bios or grub, its only when systemd starts up

ive tried everything in ckb's (the unofficial driver) troubleshooting section when it happens and nothing there has any effect, the only thing that works is restarting the pc over and over again until systemd decides to actually load the driver properly

is this just systemd being the complete piece of shit that it is? should i try a better distro without poettering's crapware? i cant afford to replace the keyboard
>>
>>64120718
What happens when you try to load the driver manually? Any journalctl output?
>>
>>64120718
>>64120736
Wait, I had no idea what it was until I looked it up just now but isn't that just a regular USB keyboard?

You shouldn't need a special driver or anything for that.
>>
>>64120736
ive never got any errors, the problem only seems to occur when systemd loads the driver at boot and it doesnt show me any errors then either

>>64120760
the driver is for rgb lighting, macros, and other settings
>>
>>64113865
You can and should. IceCat is basically Firefox without botnet.
>>
>>64120951
for some reason icecat runs like absolute shit on my computer. takes forever to boot up and is extremely sluggish. meanwhile botfox 57 and ESR both run very well. I'd ratehr use waterfox or furrymoon but that aren't in my repos and I don't want to deal with manually updating shit.
>>
>>64118034
Nope. I just use vanilla dwm. shit is so comfy. I don't patch or rice. And i use urxvt as my terminal
>>
>>64118803
>Look into which packages were updated and read their news. I also doubt that you can't find anything in the logs.
I genuinely couldn't find anything useful in the logs. I ended up figuring out that I installed a kernel update without /boot mounted, so I downgraded the linux packages (thank you pacman cache), mounted it, re-updated and now everything's working perfectly again.
>>
File: blender.jpg (44 KB, 800x800)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Do you know any Blender plugins that add more Boolean features to Blender's default Modifier? specifically, I need something to convert a mesh with many overlapping loose parts to one single mesh, without leaving any overlapping vertices inside. Anything even if it isn't a modifier, as long as the end result is the same, I don't mind it.
>>
Is Antergos alright for a beginner? Or it will lead to a complete shitstorm.
>>
bump. Can anyone offer a second opinion?
I'm trying to install Linux on my new laptop and I get this >>64113069
>>
>>64123276
it actually looks like as if that one particular usb port (port 3) is fucked. dunno why the other guy mentioned the whole hub, this log shows one particular port shitting out errors. try a different usb port if you have one. try a different usb drive as well if you have one.
>>
>>64123461
I'll try the other ports, but I'm not having any problems with this port on Windows.
>>
>>64118087
Try a service that doesn spy.
>>
>>64123516
It might be a different USB device that's causing the errors
Try removing all other ones except your keyboard
>>
>>64123137
Antergos == arch. Either be willing or knowledgeable about arch or use another dist
>>
just installed arch and I'm having some difficulty with lm-sensors.
After installing I run
sudo sensors-detect
and hit yes for everything it asks. At the end though, it prompts me with this message:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your system has no sensors, or they are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported.

The thing is that I've been using different distros and lm_sensors always worked before. Why is it now giving my problems?
Thanks
>>
>>64123516
Same thing on all 4 usb ports. I guess I'll have to dig up another flash drive to test with, but I don't really think the one I have now is broken.

>>64123600
I don't have any other usb devices connected.
>>
I typed "Linux" in the catalog search and Isee some very negative threads like
>98% decrease in performance for linux
>AMD cucked on linux
I want to leave Windows for good but I'm a 21 year old college student that needs his vidya to prevent him from going crazy from all the work in his life. I wanted to know if I have to work just to get my vidya to play when I switch to Linux.
>>
Where are the filenames in Linux stored?
Say a inode has some text of 10bytes and is named a.txt , where are the 5 bytes used by "a.txt" stored?
>>
>>64123881
most big games are still windows-only anon. linux gaming is still a bit of a meme, though it is 100x better than it was even a few years ago and getting better all the time

most indie devs seem to support linux, valve games support linux, and theres a good number of OLDER games ported to linux... but if you want to play recent (and more specifically, recent triple a) titles you will need to either stay on windows or keep a windows dual-boot to do your gaming on
>>
Okay faggots

So you guys think you know shit about japan right? Watched a couple of mainstream anime, looked up some threads and you are *practically japanese*. Fuck you all!!!!

Thats cultural apropriation you white disgusting fucks! I don't care if you 'have a japanese heritage' or 'dated a japanese faggot'. YOU ARE NOT JAPANESE!!! STOP STEALING MY FUCKING CULTURE!!!! I HAVE 34 YEARS AND A 3.5 INCH DICK, I'M FUCKING JAPANESE!!!

If you don't have a dick smaller the 4 inches you should not be trying to get in my culture!!! DATTEBAYO FAGGOTS!!!
>>
>>64123835
are you booting via bios? do you have any bios settings that might interfere?
>>
>>64123881
>>64123949
also there is WINE for older titles that havent been ported but this is very hit-and-miss. its better to just stick to windows for gaming, unfortunately
>>
>>64123949
>Dual boot
Thank you for the reply, I did want to play Bannerlord and Mordhau for my fix of historic combat. If I'm not doing college work, I mostly just play vidya on my PC so I guess there's really no reason for me to even dual boot.
>>
>>64123881
Wine gets me by for most of my games (that don't have a Linux port)
Check winehq.org for the games you play, if they're rated decently playable you might survive
>>
>>64123980
>are you booting via bios?
Yes? I'm not sure what this means. Is there any other way?
I press Esc at the Asus boot screen and it gives me the options of what partition to boot from or to enter setup.

> do you have any bios settings that might interfere?
No clue. It's all default settings.
>>
Reboot
>Kernel panic
>not synching
>partition on a seperate disk works just fine
How fucked am I?
>>
Friendly tip: Add nopti to your kernel command line.
>>
>>64123929
In the directory.
>>
Is there anywhere I can find a complete Solaris manual? Cant seem to find any that are any good
>>
File: hj.jpg (23 KB, 500x332)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>64123958
They laugh at North Korea and it's buttons, senpai. Japan has been already nuked.
>>
>checking out info on The Hurd
>public Hurd servers are named after World of Warcraft capital cities
>bit later, checking out some wow stuff
>turns out WoW has emacs keybinds
Well fug, guess there is some overlap.
>>
>n00b here
display manager, window manager, desktop environment
So the only required one here is the display manager, and the others are just for aesthetics and work flow?
Do people operate one or the other between DE and WM, or is it both at the same time?
So let's say SDDM, XFCE, i3
>>
Im so tired of the tearing on X, is gnome wayland usable yet?
>>
>>64126315
the absolute minimal you need is x.org and one graphic program it can start (this is usually xterm).
A not-absolute-but-still-minimal would be a simple windowmanager (the default is twm). Anything beyond that can be considered "extra".
>>
>>64126388
>x.org
>extra
Um no, using xorg is bloat, all you need is a framebuffer
>>
File: 1403782800641.jpg (28 KB, 380x250)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>64126429
stop posting, dumb uhmposter. /v/ is that way --->
>>
>>64126388
ok makes sense
so separate DE and WM are normal things to run concurrently if they are configured properly?
>>
>>64123881
Stop basing decisions on memes
>>
I installed Gentoo in a virtual machine successfully. It's pretty nice. Should I move it to real hardware?
>>
Switched to Xfce frome KDE today. How can i enable edge scrolling and two finger scrolling ? I tried writing to the Synaptics file, but nothing ever happens.
>>
>>64120790
Sounds like it could be a problem with the driver. Check if it's out of date.
>>
>>64126869
y e s
>>
>>64126608
every DE ships with a WM but it is possible to run a DE with another WM.
>>
File: pout.gif (900 KB, 540x303)
900 KB
900 KB GIF
Is QubesOS worth it?
Or should I stick to any other Linux distribution?
>>
>>64126350
Use compton
>>
>>64126995
Solved it. If someone wants to know
just use synclient VertEdgeScroll=1
>>
>>64124874
Linux*
>>
whats a good config for the sudoers file?
anon ALL=(ALL) ALL doesnt sound so safe to me
>>
>>64128227
whatever is the default for the sudo group
add your user to the sudo group
>>
>>64128377
>sudo group
>sudo group
WHELL NIGGA ITS WHEEL
>>
>>64128463
/bsdg/ called, they want you back.
>>
File: 1499119808133.gif (469 KB, 500x375)
469 KB
469 KB GIF
>>64128642
>dosent know its called wheel
>>
Having trouble with majaro not starting back up upon closing a laptop. Whether I hibernate first or close it normally, the laptop won't go back to the login, just a black screen. Anyone have ideas on how to change this, or am I SOL?
>>
>>64129070
Go to the hibernate/power management section on the arch wiki
>>
Should I BSD?
>>
>>64130206
since gnu/linux is too mainstream now, sure
you could try plan9 as well
>>
File: 5.jpg (8 KB, 252x240)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
man dump
>>
File: bf6.jpg (41 KB, 600x930)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>64130884
man woman
>>
File: 1453303319472.jpg (149 KB, 1920x1080)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
How can I move and resize a btrfs partition which contains the root filesystem?
My partition layout is
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.9G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 200M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2 8:2 0 18.6G 0 part
└─sda3 8:3 0 447.1G 0 part /

I basically want to remove sda2, move sda3 into its place, and then have a larger partition at the end.
So that it would end up looking something like
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.9G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 200M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2 8:3 0 350G 0 part /
└─sda3 8:2 0 100G 0 part

I would really prefer not having to reinstall the OS or something like that.
>>
>>64131194
boot up any live system (a plain ubuntu live "cd" will work just fine) and use gparted to move your partitions.
>>
>>64131255
Will I have to mess around with the bootloader to fix it?
>>
>>64131281
No, just make your computer boot from USB. Your efi partition and bootloader configuration will not be touched.
>>
Hi guys noob here, I'm running Ubuntu et I need to install a script to fix the double clicking of my mouse
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-evdev-debounce/
I have no idea on how to install it could anyone help please?
>>
>>64131104
>>
>browsing thunar as root because reasons
>see .conf xml file and left-click open it
>opens up firefox as root
>nope the fuck out
Is there anything I need to do besides chown the .mozilla folder? I'm sorta new to this stuff
>>
>>64134053
What do you think is wrong and what are you attempting to do?
>>
Might not be an actually answerable question but what programming language do most free software use?
>>
>>64111420
if you don't care about using proprietary drivers then Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to install them, also xubuntu if you wanna squeeze out more performance with xfce
>>
>>64113334
Why the hate for wayland?
>>
>>64114011
source on that belarussians shit.
>>
>>64134125
I just want to make sure that my firefox profile isn't broken (and that my system isn't compromised for running firefox as root). The latter is just my paranoia, all I saw was the xml file and https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/ in another tab.
>>
>>64134296
Why would it be "broken"? Firefox opened up using /root/.mozilla. So you saw an xml file that you didnt edit, what would be "broken" from this?
>>
>>64134430
As I said, I'm new to this. Looking it up you get people saying that sudo took ownership of their .mozilla files. Nevermind then.
>>
>>64134507
>Looking it up you get people saying that sudo took ownership of their .mozilla files
Whatever part of the internet you found this on, never go there again.
Sudo only does as you tell it too
>>
Halp.
>>
>>64134924
Boot live usb and "mkinitcpio -p linux".
>>
>>64134989
Wew lad, I wish it was that simple. I've booted from the live iso and reinstalled kernel and filesystem and fucked around with grub to no avail. Shit just won't boot and I don't know why.
>>
>>64135063
You're missing an init.
Pass "init" to your grub kernel parameter line if that fails follow the grub wiki guide again and make sure you're setup properly,
>>
>>64135100
The wierd this is it was working fine this morning and since 2016.
>>
>>64135318
Did you update today? There was a linux and linux-headers update today, it seems your init hasent been setup properly
>>
>>64135375
I did actually and suspected that was the case. You know how I can fix my init?
>>
>>64135419
You should have linux and linux-headers packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg.
Downgrade the kernel and see if that solves the problem
>>
>>64135442
I also flushed my cache last night but I suppose I can still install from the Arch archives
>>
>>64135442
Thanks, didn't even have to downgrade, a reinstall worked out just fine.
>>
File: scared db.png (8 KB, 443x376)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
IS THERE A PATCH FOR THE INTEL VULNERABILITY YET?
>>
Just installed i3-gaps but when I try to use the dmenu, nothing happens (I only get a loading cursor). Any ideas how to fix this?
>>
>>64136120
Run it from your terminal and see if it reports any errors
>>
>>64136120
its
 dmenu_run
>>
>>64136120
did you install dmenu
>>
>>64136160
I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the suggestion sorry for being a fuckin donut
>>
How does one become "good" at linux. Is there some list of skills you should have to give yourself that label, and if so, can I have that list?
>>
>>64136591
lel really? that was my experience getting i3 started too. things I took for granted in prior DE's had my so confused.
>>
>>64136825
Just read this book and you'll be neckbeard tier in no time.
>>
I installed Brave browser with snapcraft but my mouse changes cursors when its over it. How do I keep the my cursor using it?
>>
>>64137438
Try building and installing it from source.
>>
xbindkeys doesn't detect the print screen key on my keyboard. Wat do?
>>
>>64137670
Nvm, apparently it's only detected if I use mod+print screen, shown as mod + Print but it works as just Print.
>>
File: newp.png (26 KB, 140x140)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>64110801
I want to make it so I don't have to manually change the dns on etc/resolv.conf.
I came across with a solution (the first one on https://superuser.com/questions/677343/how-to-make-name-server-address-permanent-in-etc-resolv-conf#677414)
I have the resolvconf package. There it says "you can establish whether your /etc/resolv.conf has been transformed into a link by means of the command (file /etc/resolv.conf) above. If the reply is ASCII text, use chattr", I didin't get "ASCII text" as a reply.
Since I have a dynamic IP (I have a laptop), apparently I need to "use the files in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base and add the nameservers there but I don't know how to. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm on debian (netinst) gnome. Also sorry if it's a stupid question, I only installed linux like 2 days ago and I don't know shit.
>>
What's a good 1080p webcam that has linux drivers?
>>
>>64133194

That's not a script. That's the evdev X input driver and it's deprecated. Use Libinput which has built in debouncing since 1.9. Not that debouncing works. Buy a new mouse for 10$.
>>
>laptop connected to TV via HDMI
>maximizing a window on the laptop fills only half of the screen
>change to different resolution on TV
>maximizing window on laptop works, fills whole laptop screen

Why is this happening? Why do some resolutions on the other screen influence the laptop's maximizing area?
It's happening with the radeon/HD 4350 drivers/hardware.
>>
randomly getting ~99% packet loss every couple hours on my home wifi network. This does not happen on any other wifi network I've ever tried, literally only my house. Been this way for years, it's prevented me from switching from windows. What the fuck could be causing this, I feel like I've tried everything
>>
>>64138425
bls resbond
>>
I love how systemd and udev got fucking merged
>>
File: IMG_20180104_021030-01.jpg (838 KB, 2338x1332)
838 KB
838 KB JPG
>>
>>64141021
think it may have to do with enabling an ati module in my kernel configuration
>>
Do I need to turn off RAID and turn on AHCI to install Debian?
I get a warning when I try saying I may need to reinstall Windows.

Also FAT32 or NTFS?
>>
Hi guys, is there a linux equivalent to 'audio midi setup' that's included with OS X that allows complex routing of MIDI signals, MIDI over network setup, creation of aggregate audio devices etc?
>>
>>64141191
>look mom I posted it again
>>
>tfw you accidentally
$sudo chown user:user /*

>tfw you hit ctrl+c just in time
>>
File: john_530_big.jpg (29 KB, 530x424)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
man abs
>>
Install NixOS.
>>
What's the difference between debian stable/unstable/testing? If I want the latest stable software in rolling release ala Arch, which should I choose?
>>
btrfs or ext4 for hgg2d?
>>
>>64141440
why?
>>
I have an SSD and regular HDD connected to two usb3 ports on my computer. The SSD used to do ~350mb/s with UAS and since I've conntected the HDD that's dropped to 190mb/s. LSUSB shows that the SSD has UAS support but the HDD doesnt. Does the HDD fuck with UAS because it's connected to the same root hub?
>>
>>64141191
anyone?
>>
>>64142666
A hub will split the available bandwidth between the connected devices, duh, and why the fuck do you even use an SSD externally? Are you dense?
>>
I'm trying to create a Debian chroot on OpenWrt, anyone know how to fix this?
# debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch=mipsel --variant=buildd stretch stretch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian                                                                                                                                                                          
I: Retrieving Release
E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-mipsel/Packages
>>
>>64142994
shoot in the dark, but try adding a / to the end of the mirror?
>>
>>64142994
>>64143039
I've been trying a lot of different subdirectories, I just tried going for Jessie instead and that worked
>>
File: poop.png (356 KB, 409x495)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
Fonts related question...
I've added those two fonts
Times New Roman & Monotype Corsova to
~/.local/share/fonts

And it works fine, the issue is the font rendering to the whole system have changed as well.
Is there a way to add those fonts Libre office only?
>inb4 propriety fonts
Guidelines of submitting a paper require me to use those fonts only.
>>
>>64141440
Install GuixSD
>>
>>64134239
Luddites. Wayland is seriously so much better for Linux. X is an embarrassment.
>>
>>64110801
I don't agree with the OP image.
I'm a linux user and I have an exceptionally large peepee. And yes, it has had many audits and has been confirmed to be large.
>>
>>64143174
Android?
>>
>>64142957
>A hub will split the available bandwidth between the connected devices
Even when only one is doing IO?
>and why the fuck do you even use an SSD externally?
Ran out of room and ports in the case, plus it's an old cheap SSD. Can't sell it and I won't throw it in the bin.
>Are you dense?
No, I don't like wasting things I've paid for.
>>
>>64143189
I said linux user, not windowsXPhone…
On my phone im running Blackberry OS, fitting the black-ish size of my penis. Also helps that the Q10 is a really small phone. Can't get any of the android behemoths in my pocket. All the space is already taken by my dick.
>>
>>64143123
Try this:
1. create a document
2. use those fonts, even if just for some test text
3. go to file menu->propertier
4. in the dialog that pops up there is an option to embed fonts in the doc
5. save the doc, exit LO
6. delete the fonts from the system-wide dir
7. reopen the doc, the fonts should display just fine

Not sure if it retains the embedded fonts if you use non-odt formats.
>>
>>64143123

Adding font files should have no effect on the rendering options. What I assume you meant is that those fonts are being used in all your other programs too. That probably has to do with aliases. What's the output of
fc-match Serif
and
fc-match Monospace
?
>>
>>64143277
Didn't do much
Once I open the file, the fonts change back again.
>>64143291
>What I assume you meant is that those fonts are being used in all your other programs too.
Yeah, fonts changed from the window titles to the clock in the task bar.
Even the fonts inside the browser look slightly off.
>fc-match Serif
VeraSe.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Serif" "Roman"
>fc-match Monospac
VeraMono.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" "Roman"
>>
>>64142994
Turns out setting up a chroot was pretty easy, I'm pretty upset I put it off for a year
>>
In libre office, how do I turn this 9/3 into this
_
>>
>>64143708
something something formula editor.
iirc it also understands latex ( which you should be using to start with…) commands in texts, when you highlight them and press the right button.
>>
>>64143771
Thanks.
It's Insert > Object > Formula.
>latex
I tried but the learning curve was too much for me, and Libre Office is enough to get through most of the stuff.
The annoying part is the guidelines assume you use Microsoft Office Suite.
>>
>>64143367

What font did you set your window titles to? Because according to that fc-match output it's not using Times New Roman or that other one for the Serif and Monospace alias. So you must have specified a specific font for your titles and not the Serif/Monospace alias. That doesn't explain why your fonts in the titlebars changed if all you did was install those 2 fonts.

Go to a website which has weird fonts, open the developer console in Firefox and go to the fonts tab. Which fonts does it say it's using? If it's using the new ones you installed, then you'll have to edit your fontconfig (look up how to) to specify that those shouldn't be used.
>>
>>64144133
I checked.
It still use the Vera family fonts.
The fonts used system wide is cantarell.
Maybe it's the font rendering then?
Because the fonts changed from being slightly bold into slim.
>>
>>64110801
https://www.robolinux.org
How is this allowed? I'ts literally pajeet tier OS.
>look it has free windows!
>virus free!
>120$ giveaway!
>bonus features for donators.
>Please visit our Patreon webpage
My inner freetard is in pain right now.
>>
>>64144373

I don't know then. I'm not completely sure, but I don't see how putting just a font file can influence the font rendering options. Unless you also installed other files.
Either way, try tweaking the fontconfig to get your old look back.
>>
>>64141654
>btrfs
Only if you don't like having data
>>
I'm trying to save on bandwidth while playing youtube through mpv.
I'm using this
ytdl-format='bestvideo[ext=mp4][height<=480]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]' 

In mpv.config
The issues...
1. This doesn't work when I use the open with mpv add-on in firefox, even when I run it in terminal.
I get this error
 The ytdl-format option is global and can't be set per-file.
Error parsing option ytdl-format (option could not be parsed)

How to get it to work?
2. When I run the command in terminal with
mpv --ytdl-format='bestvideo[ext=mp4][height<=360]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]' 

I get the DASH format, is there a way to not use the DASH?
3. is there a way to squeeze more bandwidth from it?
>>
>>64144844
from the YT videos the author seems to be a burger.
But holy shit this must be satire.

>{insert blah blah blah here}
>>
There's a partition on my laptop called swap.
Debian wants to format it. What is it and what will it do? Why does it need to format it when it has another 100gb partition to install under?
>>
Do you personally tape over your webcam and/or remove camera and microphone from your laptop even though you use and administrate your GNU/Linux system?

A part of me gets overconfident in thinking I'm probably fine, but the other reminds me being on GNU/Linux, even if administrated perfectly, does not immunize me to hardware or firmware exploits. And then there's human error of course

What do you guys think?
>>
>>64145884
https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=swap%20partition
>>
>>64145949
So it's only used for Linux?
Why was it already there then? AFAIK this laptop has only had Windows 10.
>>
>>64145979
Did you pick guided partitioning during install? It likely just made it. When it asks you to confirm it just tells you it's going to format X thing as Y, etc.
>>
>>64145884
>>64146057
If you can, post a picture of your partition table from the install screen or elsewhere to make sure you're not screwing anything up
>>
>>64146057
Yeah I did.
Thanks.
>>
File: screenshot.png (3 KB, 324x110)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
What can I use to benchmark my system before I update with the fix?
>>
what happens if i choose more than one desktop environment during installation?
can i switch between them or something? i.e. could i install gnome and cinnamon and then switch?
>>
>>64146132
There's a patch for GNU/Linux?
>>
>>64146162
If you choose more than one, you can switch between them in your login screen (ie, your display manager)

Be advised this might install a lot of bloat on your machine though, because DE's come with their own bundled programs.

It should be relatively simple to uninstall one or the other later on when you've decided on one though. Simply purge the meta-package and it should wipe everything associated with the DE.
>>
the installer didn't detect windows.
should i install grub? would that mean i won't be able to boot windows?
>>
 xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Cannot set link state.
usb usb4-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
usb 3-8: new high-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd

I'm having some on and off problems with USB devices not connecting. Normally restarting resolves things, but any ideas what could be causing this so I can fix it once and for all?

Arch wiki isn't any help, just says to check xhci is enabled in the bios.
>>
I'm running ubuntu mate with firefox esr cause of some addons. How do I make it so that esr doesn't update to the version that breaks addons? If I mark it as hold it would stop updating entirely.
>>
I think I've installed Debian but I can't boot it.
I installed GRUB and now there are three "folders" for choosing where to boot from, one of which is just called boot with bootx64.elf in it.
How can I boot to Debian from here? Using a Dell XPS 13.
>>
>>64146219
Yeah, at least on Arch, Linux 4.14.11-1 is available now which has it implemented.
>>
>>64137368
Thanks for this, man.
>>
Evaluation period on Windows 10 LTSB runs out in 17 days. I am either going to buy a key off Ebay or make the switch to Linux for good.
What would be the distro/DE combination for me if I want the desktop behavior stay close to that of Windows?
Right now I am looking at openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE Plasma, is it a solid choice?
And should I switch at all, given the Microsoft update shenanigans and telemetry are my only reasons to do so?
>>
I'm thinking of installing Fedora. Does it have as much online support (official and user message boards) as Ubuntu does? Is it difficult to get help if you have only basic experience with Linux in general?
>>
File: 1514925463485.jpg (274 KB, 1920x1080)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
Does anyone know how people get their fonts to look like this? I'm not using Openbox though
>>
>>64146597
How's the slowdown?
>>
My file manager, pcmanfm, offers me the option to execute a command when pressing enter on a file. I am trying to open zip and 7zip files using 7z, which seems to be a horrible tool but I don't know any other lighter alternatives.

Anywas, pcmanfm allows me to use %f as an alias for the filename when inputting the command. The command I use is

(bash)
7z x -o%f %f

this stands for extract %f to directory %f

Of course, that would fail since the file already exists in the directory and you can't have two files/folders sharing names. Most of these filenames have a .zip extension, so I was figuring out that I should just remove that from the -o switch, but I don't really know how to do that. Ideas?
>>
>>64146611
>What would be the distro/DE combination for me if I want the desktop behavior stay close to that of Windows?

Don't move to GNU/Linux looking for a windows alternative because all your experience will be is "wow this is shit compared to windows"

Instead try something different without trying to make it a windows counterpart. Tiling window managers are pretty comfy after the initial setup and once you get use to them, anything without tiling feels shit and a pain to use.
>>
>>64116695
>>64116695
he was raped by a female police officer, after that they probably threatened him about it
>>
>>64146746
There's an option in the settings to select an archive manager, install one then select the same one.
>>
>>64146688
by setting default x fonts/changing gtk theme fonts/changing terminal emulator fonts.
>>
>>64146693
I haven't downloaded it yet, I want to prepare some thorough benchmarks before I do. The only thing I've read is file access being one of the affected operations so I'll be testing that but I want to know what else I could test for.
>>
>>64146861
I know how to change the fonts, just how do you get them to look like that?
>>
>>64146967
How serious Meltdown/Specter for the average law-abiding user?
>>
>>64146997
those fonts looks like the latin parts of japanese fonts. Try a mincho font.
>>
File: 1514450602399.jpg (24 KB, 512x512)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>TFW just installed coreutils in Alpine
Why do you fags shill this crap. First experience with busybox and it lacks so much things. How can any sane person loving the terminal have fun with this crap? I mean it's fine when you don't actually use it... yes, but, holy crap.
>TFW you fell for the minimalism meme
>>
>>64147162
It isn't meant for desktop usage, silly. I use it for my containers, good nuff. Kids shill it because GNU hatred.
>>
>>64147037
Fairly serious I think. Can't remember which is which but one of the attack websites reports javascript being able to read any of the memory allocated by your web browser or something. I think, I dunno I need to sleep. We'll probably have to wait for more definitive info in the coming days.
>>
>>64147115
OK thanks
>>
>>64146593
Let's back up. Did you figure out your problem yet?

What happens when you turn on your machine?
>>
>>64147270
Sort of.
GRUB has installed itself to "legacy". So I can boot it but not from UEFI, which is probably why it wasn't detecting Windows.
How can I get GRUB to boot via UEFI and then add Windows to dualboot?
>>
>>64147320
Oooh.
Sorry man, you need to reinstall Debian in UEFI mode. Check if the USB stick you burned your ISO to was made in UEFI mode or MBR mode.

I assume you used Rufus to burn the ISO right? It's one of the options at the top if you want it to be Legacy (MBR) or UEFI (GPT).

If you did make it UEFI there, then when you turn on the machine, go to your BIOS options and make sure you have Legacy booting as disabled, so that your computer has no choice but to boot the USB into UEFI mode automatically
>>
>>64147379
Oh, I think I booted the USB via legacy mode. I couldn't find a way to boot from a USB through UEFI.
Do you know how I might do that?
>>
>>64110801
>that OP image

it's only a small step from /fglt/ to the holy land of girlcocks called /lgbt/ (or rather /tttt/)
>>
File: druuuuuuuumpf.jpg (692 KB, 1808x1204)
692 KB
692 KB JPG
>Devuan or Void or Artix?
It's for a meme machine t420
>>
>>64147424
gentoo
>>
>>64147424
Gentoo
>>
>>64147379
>>64147320
And be careful that you don't overwrite the Windows ESP (EFI) partition, because if you do then you might have to then repair the Windows boot loader and that's gonna be boring to do.

As a general rule of thumb, if you're dual booting you want to be careful and not use guided partitioning, you want to do it manually (trust me, it's easy)

For your typical UEFI-mode dual boot, you want:

>Windows' 100 MB ESP (EFI) partition, which GRUB will share with Windows' loader (basically just leave it alone and dont touch it, make sure it has a K for 'keep' so you know it's intact and that it's used as EFI system partition by Debian)
>A new 256 MB ext2 /boot partition

All your other space you partition however you want. I recommend using an LVM for convenience so you can resize as you need on the fly (they're gonna be logical partitions instead of physical so they're very flexible)

all remaining GB in an lvm
vg1 will contain:
25 GB myRoot ext4 /root
8 GB mySwap swap
all remaining GB myHome ext4 /home

And you're done

>>64147402
Assuming you burned your USB as UEFI, then you just tap F1 or whatever key when you tur on the machine to get into your BIOS settings, and there under Boot options you tell it to not accept Legacy booting. Then you save the changes and see if it detects your USB in UEFI mode next boot.
>>
>tfw
So close, yet so far.
>>
>>64147527
Okay, thanks. I'm in the UEFI install menu now. I'm not sure how to manually partition things though.

As you said the ESp partition has a K next to it, the 120GB partition I want to install in is free space, but I don't know where to go from here.
>>
>trying to reinstall my windows
>win 7 doesnt support usb 3.0 drivers so I can't proceed
>use a bootable image tool to integrate the drivers into the ISO
>get past the language select screen
>installation gives me missing cd/dvd driver error
>tried following steps on google to fix it and still nothing

fuck this pajeet os,im going to switch to linux

my questions
I have an internal hdd with 500gb of anime in it, and another 1tb hdd for my os,games etc.If I install linux to the 1tb hddd will linux be able to read the 500gb one natively or will I have to tweak settings since I assume linux and windows use different file systems

how difficult is it to install drivers on linux?
mainly the realtek network driver.Should I find the installation file now and put it on a usb for when I boot into linux and install it that way?

last question
Can I install linux without touching a command line? I can learn about the various linux commands after I have installed successful and gotten a network connection

I was going to go with ubuntu but don't know which flavor is suited to my needs

web browsing,audio/video(anime,music etc) and some light gaming with WINE probably
>>
>>64123041
You have to do a manual retopo. Use Retopoflow and/or bsurface addons, or do it manually. If its low poly just use vertex snapping. You have to learn retopo sooner or later if you plan on using any 3d software.
>>
>>64147759
You should be seeing a couple of partitions from your Windows install, and then under them (if you freed up space from Windows), some GB's of unallocated space. Basically just double click on that (or Enter) and it will ask you what type of partitions you want to make.

I don't remember the exact things it asks you but it should be something like "primary or logical" and "beginning of space" vs "end of space" or something like that

These next instructions depend on if you want to make something simple and easy, or if you want to make something also simple and seemingly more difficult, but it will allow you flexibility and to avoid headaches in the future.

If you want the EZ route: just grab that chunk of unallocated space, click it, and format it into a big ext4 partition, tell Debian to use it as / (the slash means root), and you're done.

If you want the nuanced route:
First you want to make a new primary, "beginning of", partition in that unallocated space, with ext2 format, 256MB in size, and you tell Debian to use it as "/boot" (the options to do this are all in the menu when you click on whichever partition, you can tell Debian to use it as whatever or not use it at all).

Then after that's done, just make the remaining unallocated space to be used as "physical volume for LVM", say yes to what it asks, and then at the top of the menu it says Configure LVM. You go in there, create a new volume group, name it whatever you want, you select the physical volume you want to use (it's the one you just made, should be the last one), and then make your logical volumes like I said here >>64147527
>>
>>64147952
>>64147759
Also it might help if you could provide a picture of the partition menu where you're seeing this at the end, just to make sure you did everything right before proceeding
>>
>>64147227
Then a simple JS blocker should protect you, right?
>>
>>64146675

anyone?
>>
>>64147980
Great, thanks a lot.
I've created a boot partition, but do I have to set "bootable flag" to true?

I've also created the LVM partition, but do root ande need to be separate? What's the advantage of it?
>>
>>64148172
Fedora has decent community, go for it.
>>
>>64147831
Yes, Linux has built-in support for filesystems used by Windows (NTFS and FAT). In fact I used to mess with the school laptop filesystems by using a linux live USB to install programs.

Linux comes with lots of "drivers" (kernel modules) included. Generally, if your network card is really new you have to install a custom kernel module that acts as a driver, but that likely won't be the case.

Yes of course! All but one of the distros I've tried have a graphical installer so you don't have to touch a terminal. Every Ubuntu spin doesn't need a terminal to install, you can be sure of that.
>>
if anyone here uses ranger and uses the w3m image previews maybe they can help me
I can display images with w3m as in pic related. But for some reason ranger refuses to display them. I can manually call w3mimgdisplay and it works fine too.
also I can't use the neofetch image display feature. I've tried both ranger and neofetch on urxvt (what I mainly use), xterm, and st, all with the same results.
>>
>>64146675
I mean...Fedora is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux's testing bed, so yeah, it has a pretty big community too.

>>64148299
No, funnily enough the /boot partition doesn't need to have the bootable flag to true as far as I remember, because what it's actually going to be booting from is the EFI system partition (if you notice, by clicking inside of the EFI partition you will see it has that bootable flag as ON by default). The /boot partition itself in an UEFI system is just for storing kernel images and other stuff I think

So basically the whole point of using LVM is so that you can resize your partitions on the fly whenever you need it.

If you don't use LVM and make your partitions purely physical (which is default), they are set in stone and you won't really have a lot of freedom in resizing them once they're created, and you might have to delete them when you want to modify their size, it's kind of a pain.

So for example, say you have your Home partition and your Root partition, and you notice you're running out of space in Root. You can't really substract space from Home and add it to Root in a comfortable way.

If you're on an LVM, this is trivial, because the partitions are logical and not physical. You simply tell Home to shrink a little and give that space to Root. You can also add extra hard drives and make them providers of space to the LVM and it's all very painless.

If you're going the LVM route you want it looking like this

>EFI partition
>/boot partition
>physical volume for LVM partition

Inside LVM:
>VolumeGroup1

Inside VolumeGroup1:
>Anon's Root Partition
>Anon's Swap Partition
>Anon's Home Partition

The whole point of separating them like so is that you are separating your personal data and files from your operating system's files, so that if you need to reinstall or wanna change distros or whatever, it's trivial to do it with all your presonal shit staying in place.
>>
>>64148517
as in pic related, i said
>>
>>64110801
When you guys are teaching something to someone about GNU/Linux, do you often do a double take and then go "wait, why are we doing it like this anyway?"

It's like a rubber duck principle but instead of the rubber duck it's a clueless friend of yours trying to learn something new, so you end up scratching your head along with them at the weird things that trip up newbies when they're starting out and you're like "yeah this really isn't that intuitive, why do we keep doing it this way"
>>
>>64148517
read the codumentation, you have to set
set preview_images true

in your ranger/rc.conf
and also run
ranger --copy-config=scope

https://github.com/ranger/ranger/wiki/Image-Previews
>>
File: aclusterfuck.png (35 KB, 560x600)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Absolute techlet here. I've been trying to get Mint 32bit Cinnamon on my laptop,and was pointed in the direction of > pic related
What the fuck is this lads. All I need is a disc burner for my ISO,right? All I want is to be mintyfresh,desu..
>>
>>64148849
rufus works pretty good if you want to burn an iso within windows to a USB stick. If you want to burn it to an actuall CD/DVD you should be able to use any DVD burning programm that can handle iso's, for example imgburn
>>
>>64149015
I'm hesitant to do so because I feel like I won't know what the fuck I'm doing. I'm trying to start small with Mint and build up overtime.
t. used spoonfeeding Mac for 7 years,Windows for 3, never coded once or opened CMD
>>
sudo apt search hello

results in
* apt is not available for icedtea-bin-8 on x86_64
* IMPORTANT: some Java tools are not available on some VMs on some architectures

on debian jessie, what the fuck and how do I fix this? Google gives me exactly 0 results.
>>
>>64149082
>
sudo apt search hello

sudo pack your shit and fuck off back to ubuntu or windows
>>
mint or ubundoo as my first gnu/linux os?
>>
>>64149081
if you'r going with mint you don't really need to use the terminal, i installed it 4 days ago on my moms laptop since it was running slow as fuck with some malware on top.
I was actually kinda suprissed that they made a GUI for almost everything you could need, just try out a few flavors of mint with the live boot feature and see what you want.
>>
>>64149122
>being clinically retarded
Nice! Ebin! I like it!
>>
>>64148849
download win32diskimager and use that to write the iso on a pendrive.
if you seriously want to write a CD in year of the lord, 2018, use infrarecorder or nero.
>>
>>64149165
according to
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
It looks really dodgy anon.
>>64149160
I'm excited to experience Mint (Cinnamon),but the problem is I have yet to fine a disc burner or equivalent that safely functions. The ISO is just chilling in Downloads,uselessly, as I autistically try to figure this out. I'm so used to spoonfed prompts and iTunes fuckery.
>>
when i connect to my laptop device that has sdcard, it is not recognized by my laptop
i have arch
it worked not so long ago, but suddenly stopped
anyone got any idea what could be problem?
>>
File: always an option.jpg (122 KB, 457x459)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>64149233
>It looks really dodgy anon.
Whatever you say dumbfuck /b/ kid. Cool that you learned to not run Windows Optimizer without a second thought, now enjoy getting fucked with 0 IQ tasks like creating a fucking bootable flashdrive because you try to act like a smartass.... while using Windows, to take irony to another level.
>>
>>64149233
not much to do worng with rufus tho, u just plugin your USB stick, and select it in rufus, you can tell it by name and size (also unplug all other USB storage devices you have) than select the iso and burn it
>>
>>64149285
>to my laptop device that has sdcard
u wot m8
>>
>>64149285
>he fell for the arch meme
lmao retard
>>
>>64149287
No need to bully desu I am trying to learn. If you want to know the meaning of 0IQ tasks hit up a fucking Mac because that's what I'm used to,and leaving that ecosystem hasn't been kind to me.
>>
>>64148757
I've done all of this already of course
>>
>>64149287
F R I E N D L Y

I don't understand the point of coming to a thread like this and berating newbies for being newbies
>>
>>64149308
example:
when i connect digital camera over usb it wont work
if i put sdcard into sdcard reader it wont work
usb mouse/keyboard work
flashdrive work
>>
File: AGB16.png (89 KB, 1053x603)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>64149289
Installed Rufus smoothly, and it ID'd the USB well enough. Since I have the ISO file for Mint resting aside, do I select [ISO Image] to specify what the USB-Boot is being used for?
>>
>>64149444
Yes
>>
>>64149444
just click on the little dvd icon beside the "ISO Image" and select your iso.

then just boot from that stick, linux mint will boot into a live OS and will also ask you if you want to install it side by side with your current windows installation.
>>
>>64149444
>>64149488
Is this an old computer by the way? Why are you using a 32 bit ISO and MBR mode?

If you are using an old computer (older than 2010) then disregard this question
>>
File: TestAB.png (55 KB, 390x602)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>64149499
>>64149488
Is this A-ok, Lads? Everything appear to be in order?
>>64149519
32bit Windows Dell computer. Precisely why I'm trying Linux on a less modern system, its a decent bed for experiment.
>>
>>64149594
Yeah you're good, let'er rip.

Kind of a waste to use a 32GB USB stick for just an install ISO, but I guess it's fine if you're going to format it later for other uses
>>
File: whatmate.png (58 KB, 834x382)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>64149625
I plan to yes. But then this came up. Did I do something wrong or do I just follow its instruction casually? You should pardon these techlet questions.
>>
>>64149697
You're fine. Just read the prompt anon. It's asking you permission to download some required files. Go for it
>>
>>64149697
click yes and let it go on
>>
GNU/Thread

>>64149794
>>64149794
>>64149794
>>64149794

GNU/Thread
>>
>>64134173
C and variants
>>
>>64111468
>rufus
nice meme kid
try fedora media writer if you want it to actually work

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.