[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: mrwojakbot.jpg (127 KB, 475x450)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Do you have to be a master programmer to get a job programming? I'm decent, but far from good. Any advice?
>>
Just copy paste everything from Stack Overflow
>>
idk
>>
>>64117110

Depends. Being a master will get you a great gig. However, if you are socially competent, can translate business requirements into implementation, and can theorize test/quality assurance, then you can land a great job without being topcoder-tier.
>>
if you're asking /g/ to spoon-feed you this information rather than googling or even just doing some interviews yourself, you probably don't have a realistic chance.

also, we can't possibly know what "decent, but far from good" means to you. it could mean literally anything. i'm going to assume it means you've seen some code in your life but that's about it. see how that doesn't benefit you?
>>
>>64117110

Be a decent programmer but jack of all trades/full stack-ish.
Also, don’t scare the marketing people away with your hoodie & neckbeard.
>>
I suppose one would have to solve "P vs NP" just to be able to get a job.
>>
>>64117240
The Riemann hypothesis too.
>>
>>64117110
do a high school visual basic class then make a personal site using custom html. then you get the big bucks.
>>
>>64117110
Are you white?
>>
>>64117174
Marketingfag here, I'm a neckbeard in spirit
>>
>>64117110
I'm mediocre as hell and have stayed employed w/o a degree for the last six years. Not sure what my secret is or if it was all just luck but once you have established that you can show up to work on time and write passable code the employers will hunt for you.
>>
>>64117174

This is what I did.
Full-stack, interested in infrastructure. Had good projects, a degree, was personable. Wore hoodie to interview and had thick beard

Took a role as SRE-SWE.
>>
Not at all. The funny thing about it is that no one else does either. Of course everyone can single out pajeet tier code, but as long as you're competent at it no one gives a shit. The thing is, that the concept of optimization is long lost as the processing limitations were lifted. Earlier you had to make software under extreme limitations like low memory, meagre processing power etcetra, but now that need is lost, we have 50+MB websites, 100+GB software which could've been optimised and
dramatically reduced in size and requirements while maintaining same functionality, but nobody in the industry sees the need to do so. A prime example would be windows the operating system it self, which is nothing but hacked together pajeet code to the point that microsoft has embraced the mentaility of covering its flaws with more flaws, just piled on top of each other. In case you still have doubts remember there are women feminists and transgenders who make a living coding javascript
>>
>>64117110
Do something with it you can show.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.