[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: AMD EBYN.jpg (1.49 MB, 2048x1536)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
I was going to get an x299+i9 hackintosh because I have to use mac for my work, but in light of the new bug should I risk the headaches of AMD+OS X with a threadripper build?
>>
>>64122597
Just get vmware and run OSX in it.
If you run it on bare metal on a threadripper it will have a shitload of bugs.
Some guys make it work with a ton of workarounds but it's terrible, just use the biggest strength of that architecture and make a VM instead, that shit was made to run a shitload of things in parallel.
>>
>>64122705
VMware will not run osx on non apple hardware.
>>
Intel also has ME exploit so fuck that.

Get a threadripper and use QEMU or KVM for OSX.
>>
>>64123025
>VMware will not run osx on non apple hardware.

literally 2 year old news shows you can and I even saw it running myself.

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-mac-os-x-el-capitan-on-vmware-on-pc/
>>
>>64122597
zorus gaming 7 board + coffee lake runs like a dream with a lil fucking around to get your video card working.
>>
>>64122705
I need GPU acceleration too though

I didn't want the headaches of amd+mac even though threadripper is much better than an i9 for my use case, but if this shit is going to cost me performance anyway might as well get a better CPU out of it at the same price.

I have to decide in a few days due to tax reasons unfortunately
>>
>>64123080
x299 also works fine apparently, since it's similar to the new mac pro. I'll also get 10g ethernet out of it.
>>
just quit your job?
>>
>>64124095
Not a bad idea desu but not for now

>>64124051
iMac Pro*
>>
>>64122597
Have a nice day sucking cocks.
>>
>>64124165
I don't want to compete with your mum
>>
I would blame the retard whose idea was to have whole comporate structure litaraly unportable.
>>
>>64124181
You already won.
>>
>>64122597
no idea about threadripper but ryzen plays really nice with macOS, might be worth a try
>>
>>64124732
>ryzen plays really nice with macOS
There is a significant performance drop though, might as well be using patched intel microdode
>>
>>64125201
not really, the 1700 scores consistently in the 1400s for multicore and 140s for single core in cinebench

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.