[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IT_guy_blog-1.jpg (649 KB, 1900x1267)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
Serious question for those who actually work in the IT sector, especially for IT/Network admins. How do you track your things that you have done and things that are you planning to do? Do you use some kind of ticketing software, if so, is it open source / free software? Excel sheets or just simply a peace of paper?
>>
Slack and a binder for a daily list of unfinished tasks
>>
We use Zendesk and it's awful. I would stand up a Trac server and use that instead if it wouldn't get me shitcanned for having zero tickets done in Zendesk.
>>
Depends I guess.
I'm a beginner fresh out of school, working as a sysadmin in a shitty hospital in Central Yurop.
If people call me for small stuff then I write it down and check them out after I'm done with them, for more important stuff like weekly-monthly chores I write them in a calendar on my desk.
We have an excel sheet for PC's and Printers too (location, specs etc) but it's a fucking mess, it was last edited 2 years ago.. I'm trying to get out of here asap already but meanwhile I'll put stuff in order at least.
For personal stuff I just use a google sheets widget on my phone so I can edit / add things and ideas to it fast.
>>
You don't have any change management tools? No CABs, approvals etc?
>>
>>64129560
that guy needs to fix his hair. Looks way too unprofessional for IT.

Gotta look C R I S P my doggies
>>
Lots of Google sheets/docs, and I'll use salesforce for ticketing as well because I have to.

I make a lot of network diagrams using draw.io and upload them to a shared drive as well.

Been working as the network engineer for a small VoIP hosting company, entire network and server setup was done by me, so a lot of it is just in my head as well.
>>
>>64129695
Used zendesk in the past. You are correct. Would avoid using it if is possible.

>>64129717
Similar situation. I usually write this for myself in some shitty paper that often gets lost but hey, it does the job, however I need to track my things somewhere so I am looking for some options
>>
>>64129560
Trello
>>
We use Service Now for incidents, requests, change management, asset and configuration item management, ...

It definitely has its issues, but it's alright
>>
We are mostly using Jira and some internal tool for ITIL stuff
>>
In my ex company we have used Asana and some in-house shit that most of us just ignored because it was pretty bad. In my current company I am using some pretty good in-house tool.
>>
>>64129560
OTRS or Zammad, if you deal mostly with customers
>>
>>64129560
Not sure if it's worth mentioning but I've seen documentation Wikis in many places now and they never have been remotely up to date.
>>
>>64129560
I write it on you're mom's back, so when she bends over at night to get her ass rekt, I also revise the things I have to do the following day.
>>
>>64129560
Why the fuck do you need that shit?
>>
sharepoint and sometimes asana. Remedy or Service Now for ticketing.

Asana is total garbage. SN con be a confusing mess. Remedy is old but useful. Sharepoint is actually pretty good.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.