[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1514891581001.jpg (22 KB, 409x409)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>acquaintance i've helped numerous times with his computer asks me what to stresstest a pc with
>Haven't talked to him in ages so he contacts me just because he wants help
>act like i've forgotten everything because i'm sick of being that guy that everyone goes to for help

Am i being an asshole?
>>
>>64130170
Dunno comfo bunno
>>
No, tell him you forgot what it's called and he should Google it.
>>
No, these people just want to use you for the help and high tail it out, unless there's something in it for you I'd suggest ignore. You might be an asshole if you suggest something that would fuck his PC lmao.
>>
>>64130170
No, you're doing the right thing. I made the mistake of babying a handful of people in our support department and now anytime they get an inbound call, they go straight to me with the problem the customer calls about and don't even bother to do any basic troubleshooting of their own.

I purposely set my communicator to in a meeting and lock my door just to keep them away.
>>
takes a second to say prime95 and furmark or occt or google.

Friends talk to each other and answer simple questions. There's a big difference between "Hey anon, what's the answer to this question I should google" and "Hey anon, do this complicated task for me that will take significantly longer than googling the answer to a question".
>>
>>64130213
>>64130226
I just said i don't know. He wasn't even being specific about what he wanted to stresstest and i just couldn't be fucking arsed to ask what the problem is and what he wants to stress test and practically solve the problem for him instead of helping. So i just said i don't know anymore.
>>
>>64130262
Op said this wasn't a friend
>>
It's better to teach people to find the solutions on their own than to teach them to fuck off.
>I want dildoes
>what kind of dildoes?
>I dunno, I think scaley ones
>google scaley dildoes then
>holy shit it's exactly what I wanted, I'll use jewgle next time instead of asking obvious questions
>>
>>64130353
But the thing is, i don't care if he fixes his problem or not. And honestly i kind of want him to know i'm bullshitting.
>>
>>64130372
No you're not the bad guy. I do the same thing. It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I'm good with tech. But I absolutely refuse to do shit for free. Especially for people who only ever get in contact with me for help.

What's even funnier is they get all offended when you demand payment. Only people I help for free are close friends and family. Because they all know I don't work for free, they're appreciative.
>>
>>64130170
For such simple questions you can just google an article and send him the link or something. He should get the message. Or you could try being straight with him and explain it's not cool to just use you, hint at him buying you a couple beers or something. A little tact goes a long way and it never hurts to have some favors to call in. Be careful though or you might turn into a normie who people actually look up to and respect.
>>
Nope.

I feign ignorance on quite a few occasions precisely because of that. "You're good with computers" has often turned into this stupid shit. Best thing to do is "well, I don't know why that would happen and it's not my area of expertise" if you can get away with it. I stopped talking to someone over this shit.
>>
>>64130170
Ask him to stress-test his machine by mining some cryptocoins for you. Everyone wins.
>>
>>64130170
You could just help him for monetary gain.

Not because you actually like the faggot.
>>
>>64130280
he didn't say that, but enjoy your square isn't a rhombus world.
>>
>>64131079
It's an acquaintance :))
>>
>>64130170
No, fuck him. If you're good at something never do it for free.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.