[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1461621390831.jpg (713 KB, 1324x820)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
On the left: a cultured, informed, politically active and socially-minded thinker who influenced a generation and changed computer science.

On the right. some code-monkey who wrote a tiny piece of the first guy's operating system but somehow got famous because he's a loudmouth.
>>
>>64132077

stallman wrote emacs, which is a fucking operating system
>>
>>64132190

oh and linus wrote git, which is THE revision control system
>>
>>64132224
there are still many other versioning systems.

Overall, I think both a good. RMS gets a lot of flack but he's doing something that must be done.
>>
>>64132077
>who was right
If you're referring to the gnu/linux vs linux I don't think Linus has every actually stated that the operating system should be referred to as just Linux, has he?
>>
>>64132314
im referring to GPL3 debate
>>
>>64132341
Oh, I haven't heard of this one
>>
Steve Gates.
>>
>>64132224

Linus only wrote GIt because he had to eat shit over choosing the proprietary bitkeeper vcs who then proceeded to try and rape the linux community. RMS was right about that too, RMS is always right.
>>
One of them eats shit he found in his foot on stage, the other doesn't.
>>
When stallman finally dies will eben Moglen take over?
>>
>>64133534
as much as I love Stallman and his weirdness I think an image change could help the GNU project quite a bit in being taken serious let's be honest.
>>
>>64132077
Linus is still taken seriously as a person.
>>
>>64133769
Fuck you.
Stallman is love. Stallman is life.
>>
>>64132077
Linus is on the right, so clearly he's right.
>>
>>64132077
RMS. Started this whole movement and basically pushes it the hardest
>>
>>64132314
But he did. Search for this "No Richard it's linux" and you'll find a lengthy response to Stallman's interjection.
>>
>>64132077
everybody in our free world is right
>>
>>64134305
this
>>
>>64134351
I'm pretty sure that's just a meme
>>
>>64134503
Or is it..?
>>
>>64134351
It's a copypasta you retard. Torvalds only said that he doesn't fucking care, and that just saying Linux is more convenient as opposed to log(GNU*Linux)+Linux^2.
>>
>>64134739
See: >>64134680
>>
bump
>>
Linus because Stallman is a fucking communist garbage with non equal ideas, and he don't know what is talking, and he's crazy AF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskq3-lpQnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

He is like a kid, good kid with good ideas, but retarded.
>>
Linus and RMS are two sides of the same coin. Stallman is the ideological head of FOSS, who says that free software is essential because we have a moral and ethical responsibility to ourselves and others to use it. Linus represents the technical, practical side, who says that open source is essential because it is the superior development method, and it will make better software. Both are right in some ways; RMS turned out to be right about all of the spying that proprietary programs are doing, and Linus was right that open source development models lead to, fewer bugs and better security (for example, openbsd. I know Linus isn't involved with it but it works as an example).
>>
>>64137462
then why isn't Linus the mascot of /g/ instead of RMS, or maybe Eric Raymond
>>
File: 1505447843371.jpg (126 KB, 1024x768)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>
>>64132077
Stallman is a fat communist with autism. Linus is a douche. If i had to have a beer with one of them it would be linus
>>
>>64137502
Because Stallman is a meme, you dip
>>
I can't tell who is worse.
On the left, a commie with an anti-free ideology who havent even written a program in past 20 years, and his foundations programs are bloated trash.
On the right, a decent programmer whos acting like a smartass because his mediocre kernel blew up. git is nice tho
>>
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/linux-creator-linus-torvalds-doesnt-really-care-about-open-source/
>>
>>64137504
This pic should be in the sticky desu.
>>
>>64132077
Linus is a brainlet. Mouth breaths about proprietary software being cool and not supporting it is "exclusion", while excluding GNU entirely and shilling Linux as complete operating system.
>>
>>64137558
well, so the problem is OP, why the fucking hell this guys must be right?, Linus was lucky because he developed something he want in the right moment (expansion of the internet), and Stallman is the Marx of the computers.
>>
>>64137573
>linus made it for himself
how exactly does open sores allow linus to rake in the cash? regardless, i agree with him. He seems to think it's all dandy, and i get an operating system i can trust, but it's not some cult-like moral good to have an open source or "free"" operating system. that's just baseless feel-good retardation and i think stallman just likes the attention he gets from evangelizing.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (273 KB, 1800x600)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>64134107
The day Stallman dies is the day the GNU can finally get recognition.
No one likes the weird smelly guy.

Either that or he could shave...
>>
>>64132224
>and linus wrote git, a Bitkeeper clone written in shell script (((backed))) by financed and connected (((web developers)))

fixed
>>
>>64137676
He needs some makeup too.
>>
>>64137676
>right have 2x less widow’s peak and a non-jewish jawline
At best he could pull off a bald Wozniak.
>>
>>64132077
The Stallman Cycle
>stallman warns about thing
>people laugh, call him delusional communist jew
>thing happens
>people ask why they didn't prevent it
>repeat

He just wants the best for us and we hate him for being pure.
>>
>>64137734
>plugs don't exist
Jawline is probably right though, I don't have the PSD anymore, this was created years ago.
>>
>>64132077
The community is divided enough, please don't divide it further.

The left guy gave us a free OS and fights for our freedom, the right guy gave us a kernel and userspace protecting development.

Let them do their jobs.
>>
>>64132077
The Open Source community has a notable man called Stallman. When he was young, he wanted to write his own software, but everything he wrote ended up becoming a notepad. Once upon a time, struggling with implementing the “onKey” event, he found a letter from a Finnish student who wanted to write his own OS. He wrote, in particular, “hello, I’m 17 and I wrote a bootloader, pls help me write the rest, my OS is almost ready. Linus from Finland”. Stallman responded: “Hello, my name is Richard Stallman, I’ve already written a notepad for Unix and I think I can help you write your own OS, young man” The first thing Richard did was to try write a kernel for Linus’ bootloader, which he called The hURD. Unfortunately, once again it ended up being a text editor. Linus was angry and then another person, called Cox, came and wrote the whole kernel. He was a very good British man who could not stand others feel bad. Stallman, seeing how his fame is being stolen by Cox, said: “I have already written many notepads for the Linux system, you cannot just delete it all”. Linux had to agree, due to their friendship, and left all the notepads inside the Linux. It was renamed to “the GNU’. To this day, even in 2015, we can enjoy the beauty of Stallman’s genius. For example, there’s a program which takes one file and renames it to another file. Also, there’s a program which deletes a file. Windows doesn’t have such things. Just imagine Linux without such software.
>>
>>64138449
Stallman’s magnum opus is emacs. It’s one of his notepads where he put a scripting language into. Only a visioner is capable of writing a text editor and putting a scripting language there. Some may say it’s 1 grade students’ project, but they will be wrong, as Stallman didn’t put there Basic or Pascal — he’s put there Lisp. It’s a very powerful language, because it’s functional (Basic and Pascal are called dysfunctional). From what I understood reading Wikipedia, functional languages are very awesome because they’re very math. Only smartest people can code in them because it’s too math for common people. Basic is not enough math, C is not enough math, Lisp is a lot of math because it’s functional. So emacs has Lisp in it, so it’s a very good editor made by a innovator and a genius, who understands math and functions.
>>
>>64138462
When he turned 62, Stallman got a bit tired of writing notepads, so he founded Free Software Foundation to promote his ideas. The foundation’s main idea is that you cannot use a program unless it’s written by Stallman himself. He believes that anything not written by Stallman is potentially a patent troll and a vendor lock-in, because there’re no guarantees to Stallman, and only Stallman gives guarantees to himself. And we again return to the topic of notepads, unfortunately. In a perfect world, there are not other programs, but notepads written by Richard Stallman. Preferably with LISPs inside (no less than 85% functional). Maybe Stallman is right, maybe he is wrong, I can’t tell for sure. What I know for sure is that he’s a visioner, an innovator, and we definitely should at least consider his opinion.
>>
>>64132190
Ignoring the fact that emacs really isn't an operating system, it is a really shitty OS too.
Stallmans notable things are:
the GPL, which is shit. Try reading gplv3 once.
writing a shitty version of UNIX tools, which we still for retarded reasons use today.

Linux wrote a Kernel, which turned out to be pretty ok even after millions of commits by thhousands of different people.
Sure there are better Kernels, but at least Linux works well enough with everything.
Git is pretty alright too, and his actual best accomplishment.
>>
File: 22201215.jpg (94 KB, 400x400)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>64132077
>>
>>64132077
>who was right?
About what? RMS is right about the dangers of proprietary software. However, he is wrong about what constitutes an operating system. It's not GNU/Linux.
>>
>>64137738
give one example of this happening
>>
>>64137523
>Linus is a douche
No he's just a straight up no bullshit man with legitimate concerns.
>>
>>64138449
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>>
>>64138602
Linux is just a kernel. It's used in operating systems such as GNU and Android.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.