[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Lol.png (179 KB, 620x873)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>According to the researchers, including security experts at Google and various academic institutions, the Meltdown flaw affects virtually every microprocessor made by Intel, which makes chips used in more than 90 percent of the computer servers that underpin the internet and private business operations.

>The other flaw, Spectre, affects most other processors now in use, though the researchers believe this flaw is more difficult to exploit. There is no known fix it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/business/computer-flaws.html
>>
AYYYMD poorfags on suicide watch.
>>
>>64132894

Nice spinoff. How many Intel Jews died just to make your overpriced root kit?
>>
File: 1454445465187.gif (1.59 MB, 426x319)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB GIF
>amd completely immune to meltdown
>very negligible risk for spectre

based amd
>>
>>64133170
The only fix for spectre is completely replacing your hardware.
>>
>>64132831
>AMD IS AFFECTED TOO
>AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (called "AMD FX CPU" in the rest of this document)
>AMD PRO A8-9600 R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G (called "AMD PRO CPU" in the rest of this document)
lel
>>
Is anyone getting those fucking ads again?
>>
>>64132831

>source: woman on twitter

incucks getting desperate
>>
>>64133366
>no AMD ZEN CPU
>>
>>64133219
hardware that hasn't even started being designed yet and will introduce a host of unknown problems, flaws, and security holes.

when the new processors are released, there is going to be a YUGE ebay flipping potential.
>>
Doesn't that mean AMD users are affected as well? Not because they're AMD, nothing to do with that, but because if your favourite website server uses Intel, it's fucked, so now you're fucked too.
>>
>>64132831
Meltdown is super easy to exploit. Spectre isn't. Spectre doesn't really make any difference when Rowhammer exists that affects all DRAM and NAND flash.
>>64133368
No. Use a better browser.
>>
>>64133512
basically, yes.
>>
>>64132831
>>The other flaw, Spectre, affects most other processors now in use, though the researchers believe this flaw is more difficult to exploit. There is no known fix it.
From what I read in the Spectre paper the exploit can only access the process' private memory though, not kernel memory like Meltdown can.

So wouldn't it be far less of a concern? Sure there could be data you don't want people to pull out of memory but for companies with huge data centers it would be far less of a concern than Meltdown, right?
>>
>>64133558
More importantly, Spectre is hypothetical, Meltdown is proven. It's unlikely Spectre even demands a fix
>>
>>64133219
or just use ryzen.
>>
>>64132831

(((Perlroth)))
>>
should I microwave my pc
>>
>>64133543
>when Rowhammer exists
You can fairly easily remedy rowhammer by just upping your refresh frequency, however. I haven't seen any benchmarks indicating what performance loss that entails.
>>
>>64133667
Remember all those talks people gave about how the goverment has tech companines bent over leaving back doors for them?
Or how this is all being talked about after NSA/CIA exploits were leaked by some dude walking out the front door?

you're already fucked my friend.
>>
>>64133512
Google found two old AMD CPUs and modern ARM CPUs where they could read the memory of other things in the same protection ring. Intel's variation of the bug is far scarier since it can escalate from ring 3 to ring 0.
>>
>>64133801
A75 is vulnerable to Meltdown.
Looks like AArch64 KAISER patchset is intended for it.
>>
is my pentium I 166mhz vulnerable too?
>>
>>64132831

Is RISCV affected?
>>
File: kim-jong-un.jpg (195 KB, 1180x787)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>64133748
Oh great Rocket Man, please save us from the mutt menace.
>>
>>64133874
>2018 has been off to a busy start with all the testing around the Linux x86 PTI (Page Table Isolation) patches for this "Intel CPU bug" that potentially dates back to the Pentium days but has yet to be fully disclosed.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.