[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1543985434.jpg (105 KB, 642x643)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
What are some good, low-cost, non-powered speakers, and low-cost amps? $300 or less for the kit.

Continued from: >>64648627
>>
File: cheep and gud.jpg (8 KB, 270x323)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>64690412
https://www.cnet.com/news/are-you-ready-for-this-a-160-stereo-system-an-audiophile-could-love/

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/12/14/the-guttenberg-challenge-affordable-loudspeakers-from-dayton-micca-and-pioneer/

agree with the latter except for the pioneers which ive heard and which sound distorted and coarse
>>
I kek'd OP.

Ok, m8s, here's my question. My budget is really low and my current speakers are beyond ridiculous. So are there any decent speakers at 100 bucks that don't hiss and sound great on low volume? I am not planning on listening to them on high volume, just to listen to music while programming.

>inb4 get decent headphones

Nah, I thought about that, but you can't keep them on your head for more than 1 or 2 hours and I like to listen to music in open air.

I was thinking maybe of a Micca or Magnat pair, but those are already about 80 bucks and an amplifier would cost a lot more.

Are there any cheap amps with balanced inputs? Any usable ones, at least.

Idk, I know you can't get much for 100 bucks, but even some modest speakers would be better than what I have now. It's important that they have balanced connections though, I don't want the whole thing to hiss and crackle all the time.

>>64690939
These are interesting, but they have RCA connectors as inputs. And the amp + speakers cost like 160$.

It's weird that these companies don't consider the 100$ price range interesting to make products for, since most people would probably want a decent, powered pair of speakers that don't sound like total crap and don't hiss. It seems like too much to ask for.
>>
File: 113D652fig3.jpg (48 KB, 600x415)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
lol stereophile actually reviewed these

>>64690939
While the Dayton B652 has some severe measured problems, it actually performed much better on the test bench than I was expecting, given its price. When you consider that the build budget of a speaker selling for less than $40/pair will be no more than $8 for both speakers, assuming the usual 5:1 ratio of retail price to parts cost, the B652's measured performance is actually quite remarkable—and certainly better than the plastic squawkboxes sold for use with computers.—John Atkinson

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dayton-audio-b652-loudspeaker-measurements
>>
What's a good desktop monitor setup for $300-800
>>
>>64690412
H  H  OO  RRR  N  N
H H O O R R NN N
HHHH O O RRR N NN
H H O O R R N NN
H H OO R R N N

L O A D E D
>>
File: shopping2.jpg (2 KB, 159x93)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>64691846

I think any inexpensive ($8) thrift store receiver will drive these speakers effectively.
>>
>>64692124
Can you post some examples or a link?

I've seen a few miniamps at about 30 bucks on amazon. Not sure how good they are, though.
>>
File: if7tVZa.jpg (167 KB, 1050x788)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>64690412
I use monoprice 8" speakers with a Denon AVR-S510Bt for my home theater system, and it was cheap as fuck. right around 300 bucks and it splits hdmi audio. The powered subwoofer is 100 bucks extra but you dont need to buy that up front.
>>
File: 9876789876787.jpg (208 KB, 977x885)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>64690412
>>64690412
shaddap its just ur imagnation
>>
I increased the deathclaw HP a lil bit so you dont leave concord with 1k Minigun ammo, thinking deathclaws are weak
>>
Question: I want to make sure that an audio signal will only flow out of a device, not back into it. I'm using a combination DAC/Amp, where the analog ports just sit between the DAC and Amp so it can be used as either. But this means that audio signals from the DAC could still flow out and back into the attached analog device. Is there some kind of device I can use to block these signals from flowing in the wrong direction?
>>
>>64692603
wrong thread fuck
>>
>>64692603
>>64692611
Honestlyit's as coherent as every other post in this thread within the context of audio.
>>
I need help. I have a car audio amplifier, the STETSOM CL600 VISION, and it only works with a car radio. I tried hooking it up with a PC amplifier and directly in the 3.5mm jack, but it won't turn on. What can i do to hook it up to the PC? I need help, anons.
>>
>>64692838
To google the manual.
Seriously, I know this is the stupid questions thread, but that doesn't excuse you from the age old addage.

RTFM.
>>
>>64692936
Rage the fucking machine? I kind of grew out of them, sorry.
>>
>>64692973
>being obtuse
cute.
>>
Hey /sqt/, is there a device that takes two HDMI inputs and outputs video from one and the sound from both? Basically a HDMI mixer.
>>
>>64691928
NoAudiophile recommended the Vanatoo Transparent Zero/One. I was thinking of getting those because space is slightly a concern, so I can't go with fuckhuge sized speakers.

I currently have his EQ'd AudioEngine A2+, they're alright.
>>
File: 1517076715296.jpg (151 KB, 1000x922)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
I want something fun for movies/games/music in a smallish room at close PC range.
I don't work with audio so it doesn't have to be neutral or whatever, should be fun!
Lets say price is 500-1300 euro(prefer lower but whichever is more worth for its price) including amp/dac or interface and any other accessories I would need.
Which is the best category to look into open headphones or speakers? if speakers should i go for active or passive? Which are considered the best in my budget? I've heard good things about adam a7x, kef ls50, neumanns, genelec etc but idk how they compare to each other.
>>
File: IMG_20180115_002403.jpg (1.87 MB, 4608x2828)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>64690412
I got the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, Do I need a dac now? Music sounds great, I can't really seem to notice difference between flac and mp3 though.
I also use them mostly wired, wireless only outside
>>
>>64693023
Not sure what those speakers are and I'm not looking them up. DACs, eh. You could get the Modi 2 and leave it at that. It's what I have. I noticed it makes a small difference, but if you really don't care then probably not. If you have a mobo with a good realtek chip or something it will probably be fine.

I remember when I switched from good Logitech speakers to real speakers it was like everything was brought forward centre stage, in quality. It was like the same thing, but cleaner and just fairly better. With the DAC the difference was more subtle. I'm sure it's just more polished now, but it was worth it.

Also I can't reliably tell the difference between a good MP3 and FLAC either.
>>
>>64693109
it's the headphones
>>
>>64690412
Recommendations on cheap subwoofers for a small apartment? I got an Onkyo receiver during Black Friday and have it running a 3.0 setup. I'd like to add a sub but don't have much budget. Maybe $100. Used is totally fine.
>>
>>64693011
>500-1300 euro
you can do a lot of good shit with that much cash
what kind of music
or is this for gaymes
>>
>>64694088
post your state and ill find something for you,
or look at something new by dayton;
an inexpensive (msrp) subwoofer (like martin logaqn dynamo 300) usually will not add much except a boomy sound or a light thud
>>
>>64692936
But i have already read the manual, anon.
The thing is, it won't turn on unless i hook it up to a car radio. And i want to hook it up directly on the PC.
>>
>>64694378
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-to-hook-a-car-amp-up-to-your-pc.116144/

So., be careful.
>>
They're rated from 55Hz but I can hear them down to 35Hz.
Very nice sound, don't require much of an amp. I'm using one I picked up for about $30.
>>
>>64694481
I tried this, but this amp has an "auto turn-on" function, and it only works when i put a car radio directly in it. So, it won't work if i hook it up that way.
>>
>>64694540
Anon the signal from a car radio and from a PC's headphone out are the same. Start playing music, it'll turn on. Never do something as retarded as buying an amp that doesn't use a 12v remote input again.
>>
File: 1513-5-orig.jpg (213 KB, 900x545)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>64694500
mm... qt
>>
>>64694266
Central Iowa
>>
File: Shit amp.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>64694627
>STETSOM CL600 VISION
>claims to be 200w RMS (100w x2 @ 2 ohms)
I think the auto turn on is not at the top of the 'reasons to no buy this' list, sadly.
>>
>>64694627
>Never do something as retarded as buying an amp that doesn't use a 12v remote input again.
That was harsh, but you are right.

I know the signals are the same, but it won't work. I tried several times, and it won't turn up. Thats why i tried asking for help here.
>>64694761
It was cheap, and one of the best that i could afford.
The auto turn on is at the top of the reasons.
>>
>>64694756
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-icon-powered/6487813460.html
$50 10in part of a soundbar set...

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-10sw-10-subwoofer/6488351505.html
$150 10in 300w
>>
>>64694975
Dude thank you! I'll jump on that Klipsch!
>>
Is there a way to set up my active bookshelf speakers with my tv so that the volume can be controlled with the tv remote? It seems like my tv doesn't have the right output. What audio output can achieve this?
>>
>>64695135
Turn your TV to the highest possible volume and then turn up the volume on your amp until it's louder than you will ever use, then turn your TV down half way and turn up the amp a little more.

Then just use the TV volume adjustment.
>>
File: Mad_sad.gif (1.16 MB, 640x359)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB GIF
>>64692427
Oh for fucks sake. You always think you have found a good product until it turns out it has some flaw or other.
So what is a good speaker at a comparable price?
>>
>>64694975
Turns out the first one is wireless only and I'm not confident it would pair with my receiver. I'm gonna try and get the cedar rapids one. Bit of a drive but worth it if I can nab it.
>>
Good cheap tube or hybrid preamp, if it uses FET's that's fine too.
>>
>>64695232
mackie mr
>>
>>64693109
>modi2
It's garbage, not recommend at all
>>
>>64695533
How so. I have Modi 2 Uber. Does it's job just fine. I believe Multibit is snake oil.
>>
>>64695533
How come?
>>
File: 2018-01-15 00.47.14.jpg (1.83 MB, 4032x3024)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
I've narrowed down some preamps to audition locally. "Audition" in the most base of senses, I just want to verify they work before I buy. I really doubt anyone's going to have a system quite like mine. Most of these old farts with beefy solid state amps are using them with Wilsons or Magnephans. Hopefully will decide on a final purchase later this week. Why is /hpg/ so hostile towards us speaker users? Every time I ask for a preamp recommendation I get screeched at. Well, its about 50/50 I guess. Sometimes I get some quality help, other times its some asshole who thinks because I'm canadian i'm scum of the earth.

There's nothing wrong with us canadians we even make some of the best audio equipment in the world ;-;
>>
>>64695578
Some people just hate on shit for their design and marketing strategies. Personally I think they are a great company with many great products. Sure they have some duds but the ones I have are great for the price. Also American made.
>>
>>64695563
That's actually what I use to. Figured if I'm going to get the original, might as well get the Uber for that different analog filtering or something.

>>64695533
Why do you think that? It does it's job and I like it. It definitely isn't some thousand dollar snake-oil frequency DAC and that's fine.
>>
>>64695606
That's what I figured
>>
>>64695606
Here is my take on the whole schiitty situation. I wanted to post this on head-fi but I'd probably wind up getting censored. This is going to be a long winded post, so bear with me.

I think there's a lot of things weird about this situation but if there's something I've learned is that usually people have noble intentions and there's just some misunderstanding or something wrong is going on and people just don't know about. I think the most likely scenario is that Amir got a defective modi and a defective bifrost. Really unlucky, but if you ask me that makes the most sense. As for the more negative theories... some of which I'm going to be inclined to believe if certain points aren't addressed soon: I wish Amir was more willing to show us what his measuring system consists of exactly, with verifiable evidence... as it stands he really could be faking all the numbers. On the other hand, Amir could honestly be telling the truth. If his background is to believed, and his equipment as well, his measurements seem to be accurate. Assuming that his bifrost and modi weren't defective, I think its quite telling that they banned him from Jason's thread on head-fi, and people are getting censored left right and center in Mike's thread. Not only that, but Mike's suggestion that they meet face to face raises some red flags. Perhaps he's trying to damage control, and have the whole dramatic deal dealt with offline, where people can't know the exact details? It does seem an awful lot like damage control. Who knows what sort of PM's might be exchanged between the two. It's worrying that so much censorship is going on.
>>
>>64695702
On the flipside of that point, I think it's a little lame how Amir is on his forum, he does seem to be posting his data under the assumption that their products will be rated poorly. Anyway, I'm pretty neutrel on this right now, will see how it pans out. I actually own a yggdrasil, but the second product I ordered from the, a saga, was just unusable in my system. It was popping the hell out of my right speaker channel. I verified it was not the fault of the rest of my gear upstream or down, its possible it was a grounding issue, and I tried to ensure a good ground, but I didnt really see the point, as every other preamp I've used has worked flawlessly. I'm suspecting that because of the saga's low price point, $350, that it's built using inferior parts and design, and it's just a noisy schitty little box. I'm not that disappointed, I lost $40 for shipping to test it out. If I had bought used I'd be stuck with it... but this goes to show that not everything schiit makes is golden. I'm wondering if a Freya would be better, but getting one of those would cost me near a grand probably. I'm very close to getting a preamp that I know will perform flawlessly, anyway.

Oh, and I didn't even go into my customer support details. If anyone's interested I could detail those as well. Long story short, they worked well with me to make sure I was happy, but only after I emailed two other departments and complaind and whine a lot.
>>
>>64695181
Using what sort of output? Auxiliary? It doesn't seem like it changes the volume on the speakers
>>
>>64695603
>Yggdrasil
>>
File: 1514163024617.png (277 KB, 1424x1718)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
>>64695622
Measures like ass
>>
JBL LSR 305. Just buy them
>>
>>64695857
So it produces distortion at inaudible levels? Wow.
>>
>>64695888
For the same money you can get a dac that out performs modi2 in a landslide, the jds labs ol dac is the same price
>>
>>64695888
>-90db
>inaudible
Might as well use the shit dac on your pc
>>
>>64695909
It seems youre objectively right, but I'm still content with my purchase. This is definitely something to keep in mind for next time.
>>
File: Eris-45.jpg (135 KB, 2000x843)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
I just picked up the PreSonus Eris E4.5 studio monitors.

For $200, they're incredible. You won't find anything better in this price range. Check it out.

Don't forget a good quality audio interface and some nice balanced TRS cables.
>>
>>64695857
I got the Uber. Heard that was fixed.
>>
>>64695857
>>64696101
Reading into the thread a bit if it has something to do with (USB) power maybe it is fixed by the Uber version, since it has it's own standalone power supply. Right? It's still looking like the Modi 2 isn't a great decision.
>>
>>64695857
Is this like bitcoin chart astrology?
>>
>>64696300
What I love is how its a pic of the Modi 2 Uber but its obviously showing the specs of the regular Modi 2.
>>
hey guys i just bought a HomePod but I can't connect to it with my Pixel how do I play my Google Play Music on my HomePod or even set it up?
>>
I'm thinking about the Earthquake MiniMe P63 to hook up to my Vanatoo T0s for my desk setup, almost exclusively for music.

Does Earthquake make good subs?
>>
>>64696886
yeah, if ya like to take your house down
>>
>>
File: a.jpg (64 KB, 850x400)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>64695841
They can't keep getting away with it, but they do. Marketing wins over science, audiophile is an insult and an invitation to get ripped off.

Because only audio engineers and professionals desire neutrality and accuracy. For general playback you want your sound to be distorted and colored as fuck for meximum euphoric pleasure. Screw any acoustic treatment or room dsp too, if you don't like it RAW you're not an audiophile. Instead put that money into a diamond picosecond unicorn DAC ,silver plated pre-amp and power conditioning for your 500lb horn speakers.

I used to consider myself an audiophile and I was sold the lie of "transparent clear audio" and getting suckered by purple prose into buying gear that measured like shit built for gullible fanatics chasing an audio fantasy. Having descriptions like "musical" or "euphoric", where in reality it had a 8dB boost in the 200-400hz region or some shit, or worse it didn't do anything at all and was completely psychosomatic... but you MUST burn in for 500+ hours before forming a final opinion!! Barely long enough for the 30 day return period of course.

It's mostly a huckster fraud world of wannabe engineers turned marketers who couldn't make it in the studio/professional sector and want to make some money selling distortion to rich idiots who don't know or can't hear any better.

There are some "good" audiophile products out there, but those are like undigested corn in a sea of feces.
>>
>>64695873
No.
>>
>>64697934
>There are some "good" audiophile products out there, but those are like undigested corn in a sea of feces.

And those are?
>>
>>64695972
I have this audio engineer fried who says he tried all the Erises and came to the conclusion they all suck, because they kill mids and emphasise highs and lows.

>Eris are really bad for the price
>u gonna pay the brand for real
>high and bass, no medium spectre

The only thing made by Presonus which he recommends is audio interfaces, the rest of the stuff they make he says it's crap.

But then.. he recommended me to get the Focal Shape 50, which is like 550 euros a piece. xD
>>
>>64691846

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000062VUO/ref=psdc_172471_t1_B000068PJG
>>
>>64698047
*friend
>>
>>64698061
No, stop with that meme recommended by the Tek syndicate """experts""".
>>
>>64698083

i'm old and don't know what that is

but i do have many klipsch products and have recommended these to some friends that loved them
>>
>>64695943
That's true any time they didn't fuck up the design for the sound portion of your motherboard. The theoretical dynamic range on CD audio is 96dB.

Still for the electrical engineering side of it is that caused by clock oscillator jitter?
>>
File: 75685696595.png (158 KB, 500x500)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
I want to get some good speakers and subwoofer for my PC. What should I get? Do I need a really good soundcard or AMP?
>>
>>64698402

no on either count
these are excellent for the money
>>64698061
>>
File: 71PK8K4zcnL._SL1500_.jpg (160 KB, 1500x1500)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>64695135
>Is there a way to set up my active bookshelf speakers with my tv so that the volume can be controlled with the tv remote? It seems like my tv doesn't have the right output. What audio output can achieve this?

HDMI ARC on one of these things:
https://www.amazon.de/Ligawo-6518777-Extractor-auskoppeln-Klinke-schwarz/dp/B01N8T1NR9/
Your TV needs to support HDMI CEC

There could be more simple/cheap options but that's what I use. Beware, that one in particular only outputs minijack and RCA (I use it for my headphones).
>>
I absolutely can't fit a subwoofer into my setup due to size restrictions, what's the best bookshelf sized speaker I can buy for around $300 that will still play reasonably low? Looking at Monolith K-BAS's at the moment, but one of the reviews I saw on them was pretty negative.

I tried the LSR305's already and thought they sounded great(more than good enough for what I'm asking for in the bass department), but I had to return them due to the OP comic. I tried everything I could for like two weeks to get rid of the noise(I wrapped ferrite cores around the USB wire going into my DAC, shit got pretty weird) short of a ground lift plug but nothing worked.
>>
>>64698552

you still have to be able to power that speaker at a sub level which means active speaker or amplified speaker input
>>
LSR 305 or KEF Q100? If I go for the Q100, is the Micca OriGain good enough to power them?
>>
>>64698601
I have one of these. Think it does 50 watts per channel, which should be good enough for just playing stuff at my desk in near field.
>>
File: 711J2+6G1OL._SL1500_.jpg (180 KB, 1500x1172)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>64698768
forget my picture like a mongoloid
>>
>>64698730
Same question as this guy. I got the Q100s new for $190 and think that's a pretty good deal. But I heard the LSR30Xs are also very good, and they go for the same price and without needing to buy an amp (I already have a preamp). I haven't been able to hear my Q100s yet (no amp) so I'm still wondering if I should keep these or get LSRs.
>>
>>64698552
>I wrapped ferrite cores around the USB wire going into my DAC

fukking amaze
>>
quick question
anyone have a speaker guide?
or anyone wanna spend time helping decide what speaker to get for someone who knows nothing about them?
I figure the the former would probably be preferable to most.
>>
I just bought a Denon x3400h to upgrade my 200€ Sony receiver. Will I regret it?

I basically bought it for the audyssey xt32
>>
>>64699538
that denon is like 600 dollars US
what speakers are you using
>>
>>64699457
where will you be listening to them
>>
>>64695972
Fuck that. My current studio monitors are PreSonus and they completely butcher the sound. Never buying that brand again.
Anyone knows some good studio monitors? I was going to go for the JBL LSR308.
>>
Anyone with a HomePod can confirm if streaming from Android phone works? I know in theory it should work as I can stream from my Android phone to Apple TV using various AirPlay apps.
>>
>>64699580
bedroom
via turntable
>>
File: 207-BL-B20.gif (146 KB, 574x633)
146 KB
146 KB GIF
>>64699554
Magnat Vector 207 5.1 setup with a different front fire sub. I guess I paid about the same for the speakers but they cost more than twice as much when they came out
>>
File: G0JdfPk.jpg (98 KB, 1346x634)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>64698822
looks good on paper
any el cheapo good-quality ten to thirty dollar used receiver from 2006 will drive the kefs
>>
>>64699628
my recommendation is bookshelf speakers atop speaker stands. i reccomend kef ls50.
>>
>>64699660
cool
-$400?
>>
So the Amazon store in my country is actually selling the pair of LSR 308 cheaper than the LSR 305.
Is it a mistake from the store's fault? Should I buy them now before they fix it?
>>
File: DSC_62991.jpg (732 KB, 1386x1692)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
>>64699631
your 5.1 system looks compatible with brands like monitor, dali, elac, so a new receiver may not add much in sound quality

this is an evil suggestion, but you might take one of your smaller speakers and bring it to an audio store where they sell dynaudio speakers, and compare it to the Excite or Emit bookshelf size models, and find out if you hear a difference
>>
>>64690412
Right in the feels I bought these off massdrop for $180 recently. The hiss went away when i set them the volume on them to 4. That limits them to the volumes of a cheap $12 pair of pc speakers though.

>>64690939
Check out monoprices dirt cheap bookshelf speakers. The Dayton audio's are interesting but the monoprice's seem to be slightly better and the same damn cost, maybe cheaper. They're both clearly based on the same designs.
>>
File: 2hwnvkl[1].jpg (22 KB, 720x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>my face when people discuss anything other than elac being an option under 1000 dollarydoos
>>64691914
I own them and the bass is dogshit to naked unaided ears, no response chart needed. I deeply regret my purchase. I should have waited a year.
>>
>>64692838
You have to power it externally most likely. THe audio port is not going to provide power. You would also need a power inverter because 12v and 120v are not the same youll destroy it pre fast.
>>
>>64692175
The gold standard is the Lepai 2020
https://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020TI-Instruments-TPA3118-Amplifier/dp/B071FJF4FF/
It used to be like $20 but they built a name for themselves. I have one at work driving my monoprice bookshelf speakers and its great. Does its job without any hiss/hum and can get loud enough to damage your hearing.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (184 KB, 900x1600)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
Infinity Reference 2000.3 Main / Stereo Speakers

are these speakers good?

i found them in my grandfathers attic along with some onkyo stereo system from the 1990s

literally from circuit city
>>
What's good in ear monitor for 50$ to 100$ range /g/?
>>
>>64700199
they were good before harman group/jbl gutted them
>>
>>64698552
Yeah it's not a myth, those class-d amps make the LSR hissy as fuck.

They tend to amplify any flaw in your sound or power source.
>>
How the fuck do I buy Miccas in Europe?
>>
File: 91xvXHh1i7L._SL1500_.jpg (297 KB, 1500x1000)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
what's better?
Dayton sub-1200 or a Bic F-12
for music.
I want a decent 25hz sub for cheap to go with my new book shelf speakers.
>>
How much of a premium would I have to pay until I get something better than Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for similar use case?
>>
>>64694232
games of all kinds
movies
and music well i dont have a fav genre just songs i like
so something with good everything lows mids and highs lol
i want the whole package
>>
>>64701736
a 15 year old Z-2300 is better
>>
>>64695603
Are you that gay retard from headphones discord channel? Lol
>>
Have you seen apple shills praising some apple shit speaker on reddit? Looks like apples marketing team took too much coke
I understand that you need to shill your products to have better sales but this is too much
>>
>>64700199
the woofers look damaged
>>
File: 1518439337409.jpg (26 KB, 573x442)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>64701668
so what's better Bic f12 or Dayton sub1200
>>
>>64695232
>>64692427
>>64690412
i only hear the hissing if put ear on tweeter itself
>>
>>64695232
For what it's worth, I don't think the hiss is much of an issue. I have the lsr305s about an arm length away and I can't hear any hiss or other abnormal sound. The hiss is certainly there as a result of the class D amp technology but until you turn the volume knob on the speaker all the way up and listen very closely it's not disturbing or even audible.
>>
>>64690412
at least you know it's working.
>>
I currently own a pair of JMlab chorus 705S (which I got from my dad, he said they're great), and I drive them using some chink topping VX1 amp

Would getting a better amp noticeably improve the sound quality?
>>
File: 2020i-q-acoustics-1b.jpg (221 KB, 600x677)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>64700101
stop complaining about your $20-a-piece speaker
that's the cost of a dinner date with sandwiches with ur gf
upgrade to a $65-a-piece speaker for some bass without the hiss

when you're done fucking around, get a $500-a-piece-and-up speaker like atc or dynaudio for most of the bass without the bloaty feels
>>
>>64690412
I have an account on Yahoo answers, on and off top 10 for a certain genre reguarding computers.

To become top 10 Using multiple search engines is a must and here is what I quickly thought of reguarding Your question.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=most+watched+ebay&t=ffnt&ia=web

What people buy in large numbers is a good indicator of Popularity price and quality.

Be creative, use this tool to see what the world is actually paying for.
>>
>>64703267
>Recommended amplifier power 25-100W
any used 50-70 wpc receiver would do the job ($10)
>>
>>64703397
fuck off with your ad count spam
>>
>>64695232
I'm confused by this.
Did anon not realize that his equipment is hissing and now that he's told it is he's disappointed?
Surely it's not a problem if he can't hear it. What kind of dream consumer have been created here?
>>
>>64703474
I dont do add count spam, Make note I never specified anything other then a search, just look at the actual link and You can Use any search engine with the information provided.

Use all tools without bias to achieve a goal and most importantly never forget mindless anger is a crutch.

its ok, everybody learns.
>>
>>64701668
which ever one is cheaper
ur not going to get any real 25hz from a lower cost sub, not that dayton isnt good for what it does
>>
>>64703546
what the fuck language are you using
and are you from this galaxy
>>
File: v_8A0A9690.0[1].jpg (106 KB, 1200x800)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
New best speaker under $1000
>>
File: 1510238702182.png (24 KB, 512x512)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>64703571
>>
>>64690412
My Logitech speakers just die, what are some good speakers without planned obsolescence?
>>
what is the consensus on NuPrime amplifiers?
i'm considering buying the NuPrime IDA-8 for a 2.1 setup
>>
>>64703958
real speakers and separate amplifier.
>>
>>64704062
What can I have for 200$?
>>
File: dynaudio contour1.jpg (92 KB, 670x417)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>64703700
yeah, no
>>
>>64703512
I don't own it yet. But as far as speaker upgrades go, the 305's are what I've been wanting to buy for a while now.

>>64695461
They look good I suppose. Does /g/ still trust Z Reviews' opinion?
>>
File: .png (160 KB, 1552x924)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>64703700
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7wwtqy/apple_homepod_the_audiophile_perspective/
Under $2000. Just look at that FR
>>
File: DSC04824.jpg (563 KB, 2408x1806)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
>>64704060
>NuPrime IDA-8
http://blog.son-video.com/en/2015/12/review-nuprime-ida-8/
seems alright
>>
>>64703958
Its a complicated question, What exactly are You looking to do with these Speakers, Wireless? or Soundbar or something to compliment a recording Studio?

Are You trying to avoid surprises or Are You looking for something along the line of Old and Heavy Pioneer speakers and all that comes with a costly system like that?

For example here is something that Came into my field of view But something like this Gemini AS-15P 15 Its good but it will not be perfect for everybody You see?
>>
File: apple home faggopod.jpg (63 KB, 782x521)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>64704205
>reddit
yeah, no

>5 inch wide skein of marketing yarn/toiletpaperroll
and fuck off with your bullshit FR you macfag idiot
>>
>>64704244
Not wireless, I'm not looking for something specific, I just want speakers for music (so with good bass) and video games to put on my PC, something that will last for a very long time.
>>
File: .png (180 KB, 1552x924)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>>64704282
you can't refute facts
>>
>>64704205
looks alright for a completely dsp bent speaker
if you don't mind a mono source with low spl and high distortion why not. certainly better than most of the other attempts at a mobile wireless speaker thingy around
>>
>>64704320
What's your current amp and source? Budget? Room size?
>>
>>64703700
Already ordered one. It will be paired with Schiit Bifrost Multibit for ultimate listening experience.
>>
>>64704385
First this I thought I would do when I saw review, troll mesurbators and ‘objectivists’ with this because they can go fuck themselves, can’t measure directional tweeters and wave guides you cocksuckers.
>>
File: .png (267 KB, 1552x924)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>64704391
Distortion is also low. Get two for stereo and <$1K speakers still can't beat it.
>>
>>64704396
>current amp and source?
My dead speakers are Logitech SPEAKER SYSTEM Z523, I used to put them on my 3,5 Jack PC input.

>Budget?
200$

>Room size?
It's a small room for one person.
>>
>>64704320
Most people are happy to stick with a single name brand.
Logitech Z506 and its like 45 bucks for a 5.1 audio system Its 75 watts, it falls perfectly in line with Basic sound system type audio for pretty much every gaming computer, 75 watts is just right.
I dont know if its future proof but....

If I was in Your frame of mind, I would look at 5.1 surround sound and as cheesy as this sounds, Stick to a Favorite brand name.
>>
>>64704463
it's alright at 70dB considering the size, but goes to shit beyond that. again, it's neat for what it is, but that's about it. it should be compared to other mobile speakers where it could really shine, instead of similar priced conventional speaker designs, which will still outperform it by far in your typical listening distance of a home theater or music setup
>>
>>64704501
I don't give a fuck about the brand and really want something future proof, but maybe I'll try that if I don't find something better.
>>
>>64704385
That guy has probably no idea of how to measure a speaker in a correct way.

Anything bellow 300Hz is meaningless and anything above isn't much better: no gating or anechoic conditions (he even acknowledges leaving the speaker on a reflective surface), too much smoothing.
>>
>>64697934
have you even seen the articles the "audiophile press" shits out about that thing ?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-da-processor

>"Are you smiling?"
>"Yup," he replied. He'd known in advance that the Ragnarok wouldn't look good on standard tests. But he hadn't warned us: The Ragnarok's output-stage bias program responds to music sources, not signal generators.

The lad is just grinning because HE KNOWS he's selling shit and that these morons will gobble up every single bullshit buzzword he uses to make his 3000$ stainless steel brick
look good.
>>
File: dumbass.jpg (376 KB, 1570x977)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>64704385
>>
File: 1517938737689.jpg (44 KB, 1024x576)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>64690412
I've got an Asus Zenith Extreme mobo, do I really need a DAC for my HD650s?
>>
>>64704463
Yes, great job spending less than $1000 on paired speakerphones.

>>64704467
QAcoustics 2010i - About $129 new - Also used speakers with ~5" woofers by KEF, Music Hall (Marimba), Elac (B5), KEF, Wharfedale. If you want louder, JBL passives or Klipsch passives, used.
Low cost used 50W receiver by Sony - About $10.
Low cost (lower quality)* used 10" subwoofer - About $50 to $70.

* You won't find good subwoofers, used or new, unless you go over $200, or you get lucky on Craigslist.
>>
>>64704726
ofc you need a DAC
take a look at Schiit Bifrost Multibit
great piece of audiophool gear
then buy an AB switch
>>
>>64700101
this episode was amazing.
>>
>>64704726
ive never used a DAC with my 650s
they sound great (except for "The Veil")
>>
>>64703450
ok thanks man
>>
>>64704813
>QAcoustics 2010i
I think I'll check it out, thanks a lot.
>>
Someone from /mu/ suggested that I post this here, so I'll give it a shot and see where this goes.

I use a stereo receiver for playing (and digitally recording) my LPs. Lately I've been trying to look for a new receiver because the one I've been using (Yamaha RX-V495) has been getting faulty---as a result of it wearing down, it's been causing a 60 Hz hum in my digital LP recordings.

I already tried getting another Yamaha receiver a week ago. It *did* work in the sense that it got rid of the 60 Hz hum, but the background hiss is pretty loud and I can only go up to volume 30 (out of 100) for my recordings---any louder and it starts to distort. Never had any sort of volume problems with the previous receiver.

So at this point I know that getting a new receiver will fix my hum problem, I just don't know which one to get. Any recommendations?

Please don't recommend the ART USB phono, I tried using that and it didn't work for shit
>>
File: back o de turntable.jpg (6 KB, 259x194)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>64705544
1. is your turntable hooked into the Phono input of receiver
2. are there earth or ground wires from your turntable, and are they attached to your receiver
3. does either receiver hum when they are "turned" to inputs that are not the turntable
4. what kind of turntable is it
>>
Total shitter here. Will Dayton B652 ($30) and Lepai LP-2020TI ($25) be a good combo for playing games on TV? I don't need them to be really loud.
>>
>>64705921
yes
>>
File: BX2_smsl60.jpg (269 KB, 1593x1428)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>64690412
after I returned two powered speakers because of hiss when nothing played I went for this

very happy with it
I just wish i was rich enough to test 3-5 different speakers to have any idea whats good :(
would love to test KEF 100, or some wharfdale or elacs
>>
File: 1431198820103.jpg (8 KB, 255x255)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>64706280
whats with all these faggots and those shitty tiny chink amps
>>
>>64706547
they are tiny so they fit everywhere, especially fitting for pc desktop speakers unlike the classic huge home cinema marantz receiver or some shit
they are really good at what they do, no distortion even at high volumes
they consume tiny wattage so you dont give a fuck letting them go nonstop
they are build like tanks in full metal body with serious feel of quality
their design is relatively simple and fool proof

but do not mistake $20 lepai for smsl
lepai is very budget one, smsl is higher tier
though both are D amps.

all in all, you get better sound by buying cheap amp preferably with dac included
and pumping money in to speakers than buying $300 amps
>>
>>64704687
It's a boys club between the manufacturers and the reviewers/forums. Layers of purple prose to obfuscate and gatekeep what transparent audio is, twisting it into their own colored, distorted sales fantasy pitch.

If you couldn't make it as a writer, at least theres always openings to shill for audiophile products.

>Listening
Live music may be viewed as a continuously pulsating wavefront. If you hold your hand up, you can almost feel it. Recorded music is a coded narrative simulacrum of that pulsing wavefront. If anything in the recording or playback chain interrupts, bends, truncates, or haphazardly disrupts the original (live) continuity—all the world's smart guys can never restore its hyperfragile relationships of time, frequency, and amplitude. Love, music, and poetry live only in the undamaged continuity of those relationships. (Unlike the stock market or election polling, music is not a stochastic process.)

In home stereo, accurate tonal characters and lifelike rhythms are the surest indicators of an unmolested musical narrative. If we look at audio historically, it's pretty obvious that digital has been (mostly) hammer-and-tongs rough on this sacred continuity. Whether in the recording studio or at home, digital's punch-press aggressiveness can be recognized by the (usually) hard, mechanical nature of its playback. In contrast to the digital norm, the Yggdrasil's sound felt distinctly nonaggressive, nonartificial. Even before it was broken in, I could sense the Yggy's gentle touch and hear the music's relatively unmolested continuity.
>>
>>64706280
BX2 are at the top in their cost category so if you wanted to upgrade the choices would be speakers in the 1 to 3 K range; wharfedale and elac would probably not be better and KEF 100 would be a step down
>>
>>64706642
why are big amps so popular if those tiny things can do the same thing? all other tech is always getting smaller and better but audio isnt.
>>
>>64704282
>hating apple so much that you refuse to admit the homepod is good
the homepod has faults, but most of them are due to marketing department making it apple-only, so its potential market is small. i love the fact that they have dsp in an affordable consumer tier product
>>
File: jbl us-49.jpg (169 KB, 1200x900)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>64704813
high-msrp but low-price-used speakers always always turn up on craigslist; its rare to find QAcoustics on craiglist though

https://maine.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-stereo-speakers-made-in/6472818931.html
$50

https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/d/onkyo-amplifier-and-cd-player/6490373287.html
$25

https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/d/harman-kardon-arv-230/6493050074.html
$20

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ele/d/audio-technica-at-lp60/6485123747.html
$50

https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/d/stereo-receiver-dvd-player/6442236554.html
$50 lol-level

https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/d/denon-avrsurround-sound/6474601002.html
$40 should be $25

a bit of driving nets a decent system for about $200, with good resale value on the turntable and actually everything else -- so much for spending $300 plus on meme powered monitors that hiss, unless the intent is hobbyist studio work
>>
>>64706906
audiophilia is immune to progress
>>
>>64706906
>why are big amps so popular if those tiny things can do the same thing?
because they can't. guess what? chinks lie. a 50W Lepai is 50W peak into 4 ohm, which is 25W peak into 8 ohm, which is ~10W continuous in 8 ohm. yes, class D amps are good and they're making high quality audio gear affordable and more powerful, but a little $50 chinese amp isn't going to power full-sized towers to 110dB. you can get full sized class D amps, and those are getting fairly common
>>
Are any of these models good for studio monitors?

JBL HLS 610
JBL L20T
JBL M5
BOSE MODEL 21
>>
File: 1518270741454.png (197 KB, 886x874)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>64690412
>tfw jbl'd

i have lsr 305 and 310

spent like $600 for the setup so its not too bad but man... how do i stop the hissing?
>>
File: qt with qts.jpg (224 KB, 725x483)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>64706906
i'd guess they're good for certain kinds of speakers (good sensitivity) and for lower volume in smaller rooms in an apartment in nearfield -- they're relatively costly for their limitations, actually, but they fill a niche as described by the other anon; im not sure they're "popular" as much as they're trendy; i prefer mid-sized amps that can drive a few 4-ohm speakers
>>
>>64707213
the first two will do a decent job
>>
>>64707250
sit further away
>>
>>64707292
but you can hear the hiss across the room in quiet settings
>>
File: HS8_FREQ.jpg (34 KB, 490x303)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>64707250
sell the JBLs; get Yamaha HS8 or Adam A7 used
>>
File: rvhggrll.jpg (125 KB, 500x668)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>64707348
lol, oh god
>>
>>64707348
really? I heard the 308 in my friends living room and never heard any self noise
>>
>>64705778
1. Yes
2. My turntable did come with a ground wire, and yes it's connected to the receiver
3. The old receiver I have that I've been using hums on every input, not just the phono one
4. It's a Denon DP-45F

It's the old receiver that's causing the 60 Hz hum, trust me. Switching to a new receiver fixed my issue and got rid of the hum completely but I wasn't satisfied with the new receiver because of the way the volume works on it. The recorded LP audio would come out VERY quietly as a result of me recording at 30% volume (and as I mentioned already I couldn't go any higher than that as the audio would get distorted)
>>
>>64707251
arent 4 ohm speakers the cheapest possible speakers that usually get bundled with those mini hifi things that you can buy for $30? those are the only things i have seen with 4 ohm speakers. >$100 speakers are usually 8 ohm or at least 6
>>
>>64707606
why not repair the old receiver instead of buying new? /g/ fags should know how to solder.
>>
>>64691846
I bought klipsch r-14m's at $100 on amazon. No complaints here.
>>
>>64707818
>/g/ fags should know how to solder.
Knowing how is only a small part of the answer.
Knowing what, where and when to solder is much more important.
As my manager used to say, " A 14-year old can repair these machines, if only he knows how."
>>
>>64707887
>A 14-year old can repair these machines, if only he knows how.

I was playing with oscilloscopes at 14. Step it up.
>>
>>64697934
God knows how you define accuracy in regards to unnaturally produced sounds like everything that isn't classical.
>>
>>64701736
/ag/ pls
>>
>>64707818
I'd be down to send it to a shop for repair, I just don't know where to send it.

Would having it fixed cost me less than getting a new receiver?

I have the money for either option, I just wanna know.
>>
>>64701668
As a person who had both, I can say the F-12 is better. The amp's way more powerful, the bass is audible down to ~27hz, and it has SPDIF and four way binding post pass throughs. The Sub-1200 is still good, but its boomy, rolls off at 35hz, feels kinda cheap, and has a weaker amp (half gain is normal listening level on this, while the bic is loud at 30-40% gain.).
>>
>>64708200
It's still defined as neutral and accurate, true to the signal. No need to be upsold on some expensive boutique DAC that's audibly imperceptible (once gain/level matched) from 99% of DACs in consumer devices for the past decade. Spend that money on great studio monitors and room treatment/dsp if you want neutral transparent audio without the audiophile markup or bullshit.

>http://audioundone.com/loudspeakers_winer
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvireu2SGZM

this guys shilling his own room treatment shit but he's teaching the truth.
>>
Just bought some Jamo c103s for 180. How did I do?
>>
>>64707606
if you still have your turntable preamp, you might connect only the preamp and listen to the output through headphones through preamp - sometimes the circuitry inside the turntable, especially the tonearm connections to the cartridge can be loose or faulty

a photo of the turntable connections to the receiver may be useful

also found this:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=70443

"You can create a ground wire for the turntable chassis by connecting some stranded 20 gauge wire to any clean spot on metal chassis of turntable. You should be able to find a screw that goes into metal chassis of turntable somewhere, but if you can't find a screw already there, you can go ahead and drill a 1/16 inch (1.5 mm) hole anywhere in the metal chassis of this thing and fasten a wire to chassis using a small sheet metal screw.

Hum caused by an ungrounded metal chassis has a "buzzy" high frequency quality to it. Hum caused by a bad cartridge ground sounds more low frequency, without the buzz. Also unconnected cartridge ground is VERY loud. and pretty much kills off the music coming from cart, which will be easily audible if you have an unconnected chassis ground.

You may need to get yourself a cheap DVM [digital voltimeter] with a resistance scale and use it to check and see if one of your cartridge grounds is supposed to connect to chassis. Some turntables do this, rather than using a chassis ground. Just hook one probe to outside ring of RCA connector on each channel and the other probe to a clean unpainted spot on metal chassis. Do this for each RCA plug. Be sure that you are using the lowest resistance scale on DVM, 20 ohms or 200 ohms, but nothing higher, so you can read down to 1 ohm or less. If there is continuity (1 ohm or less) between the ground on either RCA plug and the chassis of turntable, then you don't need a chassis ground. Just be sure that connection to chassis ground is not loose or corroded." - joe z
>>
>>64708425
Cheaper to find an $8 receiver with a phono stage at a thrift store. Repairs would be at least $50.

>>64708076
Fire hazard and worse messing around with power amp parts if you don't have experience.
>>
File: twTx1CM.jpg (388 KB, 2048x1536)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
Sorry to go all "cable shielding" on you guys, but if there is 60 hz hum, make sure the rca lines are moved away from AC cords.

Also the underside of the turntable can have issues with wiring, as well as the circuit boards. Luckily there is a lot of DIY diagnostic info on the internet.
>>
>>64706906
part of the reason they're so big is to get the power supply as far away from the amp stage (inside the casing) as possible to reduce interference. small amps (the good ones) use external power supplies that are often bigger than the amp itself.
>>
>>64701736
you could keep the subwoofer part of the promedia and add on a cheap receiver and some real speakers that might cost 30-50 bucks as a step up
>>
File: animals_hero_bats.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Actual bat here with ultrasonic hearing
24/96 for life
AMA
>>
>>64692985

Thought about audioengine, but wanted something with a bit more size and umph
>>
>>64708936
768/32 for life
pleb bat
>>
>>64701792
if you live in europe, and its more for music, you may find a pair of second-hand Dynaudio 1.3 mk ii for about 900 euros or less; they need an 80 to 100 wpc amp; if its more for games/movies, a less expensive dali, or monitor audio bronze
>>
>>64708788
Good, goy, it's dangerous. I'll just sell you another one.

You don't need experience to keep from fucking stuff up that bad. You just need a basic understanding of electricity. At one time every person with experience had none and gained it by doing it. Most audio electronics are pretty tame. I was salvaging multi-kilovolt power supply parts out of malfunctinoning CRTs at 14. The secret? Unplug it and discharge HV capacitors with a resistor on an stick on an insulator. Then short it out with a piece of foil because of some weird dielectric effects
>>
>>64707802
probably, but some 4 and 2 ohm speakers are among the best in the world, like the Evidence Platinum, when you want to fill your mansion ballroom with some catchy tunes.
>>
>>64708788
but wouldn't an $8 receiver at a thrift store be more likely to cause 60 Hz hum? i'd rather send my receiver in for repair than do that.

plus, if a receiver is that cheap at a thrift then chances are the audio quality might sound like shit
>>
>>64709248
I think it depends on the brand and the condition of the electronics. I've actually never had problems with hum or noise in buying used Sony, Denon, Rotel, Onkyo receivers from thrift stores. But I don't use vinyl either... because of the hum and the grounding issues.

The cheapest non-troubleshoot solution would be to find a good but cheap used receiver and hook it up.

I found an $800 Cambridge Audio HT amp at a Goodwill two years ago -- it was on sale for $3. It was under an RCA VHS player ($5) and an SoundDesign 20 watt receiver ($10). I mean, twist my arm. I've bought some bad CD-platter tray players, but never have had trouble with receivers. In any event, if there were a problem, Goodwill takes it back and you don't lose your $8 investment, lol.
>>
>>64709353
There *were* some receivers at my nearest local Goodwill store, I'll go back and check to see if they work.

Assuming they don't, would I be better off sending my old receiver for repair afterwards?
>>
>>64709375
I'd say probably not, because the repair might run over $200. And it might be your turntable cartridge, or your turntable. This is why vinyl has its drawbacks.
>>
>>64709397
It's not the turntable.

I started getting into vinyl in 2014---the receiver I've been using since then was a hand-me-down given to me by my dad. The 60 Hz hum has always been in my LP recordings, even when I switched turntables last year.

The hum completely disappeared when I switched the old receiver with a new one a few days ago.

I won't be able to go to Goodwill today, but assuming the receivers they have there are in shit condition, at this point I honestly see nothing wrong in paying that much for a repair.
>>
>>64692603
Are deathclaws good for audio or should i try more mutie parts?
>>
>>64690412
>low cost, non powered speakers
I think you want to get a pair of headphones, hang them on your neck, and max out the volume
>>
>>64708929
I don't actually own the promedia, I'm just looking for something to get and it's being recommended the most - I just want to know if there are decent alternative options at a slight premium since I can spend a bit more and I don't like getting the mainstream option.
>>
>>64709353
>>64709375
Those Goodwill places sound like magic. The closest i have to that where I live is the salvation army. They have a few records and fewer CDs, but nothing to do with actual audio equipment.
>>
>>64691846
Scythe Kro Craft Rev.B
>>
>>64703700
Is that a Mac Pro?
Or a NY subway trash can?
>>
>>64709894
It's a best speaker under $1000.
>>
File: desk.jpg (393 KB, 4032x1960)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>>64690412
I picked up Bowers & Wilkins 202is for twenty doll𝘢rs at Goodwill.
I'm not pissing around. I went there with 15 dollars to see what I could get for memes. I was being goofy pretending that I was some poor fuck in some twisted accent,
but then I saw the speakers. "Wood enclosed speakers... at Goodwill?" I said. It seemed to good to be true. They were priced at $30, double my budget, so I asked the cashier if I could pay $15 for just one speaker. She said yes. I paid 15 fucking dollars for a B&W speaker.
So I came back the next day giddy because I'd already used the shit out of the first speaker cause it's so good.
$15 in hand. Ready.
I take the speaker to counter and, "Uhhh, that'll be five dollars."

f i v e d o l l a r s

Same cashier and everything, she just forgot.
Goodwill has employees that are so retarded they work miracles.
Never underestimate them.
>>
>>64710553
sometimes they deep discount the sticker price because of the color code of the sticker depending on the day - either way, a killer find for B&W
>>
>>64710553
Power handling: 60W, 100W peak
Frequency Range: 53Hz to 22Khz
Bass Loading: Forth-order vented alignment
Frequency Response: 66Hz to 20Khz +/- 3DB
Sensitivity: 90db (2.83V, 1m)
Impedance: 4 Ohms

Dimensions:
359mm (14in) Height
210mm (8.25 in) Width
188mm (7.5 in) Depth
4.1kg

You found a ferro-tweeter and a polyglass woofer speaker pair for $5. Holy shit.
>>
>>64694857
>The auto turn on is at the top of the reasons
You too good for a turn-on wire?
>>
>>64696674
probably a troll but use airplay
>>
>>64691914
Are there resources to help understand measurements? Been browsing audiosciencereviews, perhaps I missed a thread that explains everything.
>>
>>64710956
http://novo.press/understanding-speaker-specifications-and-frequency-response/

wiki article is good

http://blog.shure.com/how-to-read-a-microphone-frequency-response-chart/
because the FR of the microphone receiving the speaker output is relevant
>>
>>64711006
Thanks
>>
Is it true?
>>
>>64711032
Some people are speculating it is difficult or impossible to measure them because the results could be different every time. Really though, you shouldn't expect anything from reddit bandwagoners.
>>
File: 1505946463768.gif (2.9 MB, 200x200)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB GIF
>>64711032
>But most of those review seem to have avoided making precise measurements of teh HomePod's audio output, instead relying on personal experience to give generalized impressions
>>
>>64706642
>>64706993
>>64707119
>>64707251
Retards. All of you.
>>
>>64711055
You could test them against other speakers in several different environments
>>
>>64707802
Your amp will output more power with lower impedance speakers. Usually car audio is standard with 4 ohm speakers per channel. The thing is, though, the amp will run considerably hotter (which increases distortion among other things) and may not even be stable running loads that small.
>>
>>64711032
>>64711055
>>64711058
It's all so Magical®
>>
>>64707250
Get an amp with a lower noise floor
>>
>>64691846
lsr 305s don't hiss unless you have a shit power source and are less than 18 inches from the cones
they're totally fine
>>
SPEAKER DO NOT HISS ON THEIR OWN

HISS COMES FROM THE AMPLIFIER OR SOURCE PLAYED FROM
>>
File: home hifi.jpg (161 KB, 1403x935)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>64695603
mine is in the same league amp wise
>>
File: 1419620645627.jpg (52 KB, 450x360)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>64711141
it's a powered speaker, tho, "Dude"
the shit is built-in
>>
>>64711131
Until you turn up the volume to medium.
>>
File: typical ear rape.jpg (219 KB, 2162x1216)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>64711131
pro tip
>>
>>64711131
This.

>Shitty rig I've had since like high school
>Speakers hiss
>Build new rig
>Speakers don't hiss because I actually bought decent parts
>>
>>64692227
hey that projector display looks nice. what projector do you use?
>>
>>64692838
>won't turn on
Did you actually connect the amplifier to a power source?
>>
>>64704726
Never used a zenith extreme, but it's reasonably common for high-end boards to have a good DAC implementation these days, and HD650 isn't that transparent compared to a good IEM. Chances are good that you wouldn't notice any improvement with an external DAC.
>>
What are some good used speakers to hunt for on eBay for around 100 bucks? Has to be somewhat small. Using it for a wide range of genres but mostly jazz and hip hop all is probably need a warm sounding speaker. Thanks.
>>
>>64711866
>100 dollars
May as well pick yourself a brand new pair of Mica speakers
>>
>>64711887
The mb42x?
>>
>>64711912
Yes. Though perhaps post your region and that one anon that is great at finding deals on craigslist can help you out.
>>
>>64711934
That'd be super useful, I'm in Portland Oregon area if that helps.
>>
>>64707250
the hissing isn't that bad bud. You just can't stop hearing it since /g/ latched on to insulting some of the best speakers in their price range.
>>
>>64708076
14? That's like Freshman/Sophomore in high school. I was using lasers to carry signals and hooking solar panels up to speakers n shiet
>>
>>64711539
noice setup. but make sure the tweeters are at ear level, or at least pointed at your ears. you happy with them?
>>
>>64707250
What's your source?
>>
>>64711389
>league
which amp again?
>>
>>64711116
4 ohm speakers can be overpowered easily even with a cheap amp. i tested this with a small 4 ohm speaker and it started to smell like something was burning in it and i burned my fingers too when i touched it. was surprised that it did not stop working even thought it was abused like that. amp was some shitty 80chinkwpc.
>>
File: Canon-EOS-40D-0141.jpg (183 KB, 1280x654)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>64714434
picture of the speaker i used
>>
what subwoofer for a large lounge area for ls50? I was think rel t7i
>>
>>64714911
for that price I'd rather get a pair of svs sb/pb 1000
much better coverage and flexibility with a pair
>>
>>64715158
i guess i could but i prefer the speaker level input on the rel.
>>
>>64715158
and the sub outputs on my preamp are summed so two subs isnt an option
>>
>>64715190
what's wrong with the speaker level input on the svs?
>>
>>64715197
there arent any im pretty sure rca only
>>
>>64715208
there are

>>64715194
summed bass is fine, you don't want two subs for the stereo bass, but for better coverage and flexibility in placement fighting modes
>>
>>64715212
NVM im retarded. what sort of placement would you recommend? I was thinking of getting one for now and placing it along the left wall pictured.
>>
>>64715222
I'd start either in the corner for maximum gain, but more adjustment needed in terms of phase and crossover, or on the same radius the ls50 are on, starting right in the middle and moving to a side listening to what's happening to the side wall modes. that room looks like a single sub might be fine
>>
>>64715250
putting it in the gap on the cabinet on the right wouldn't be a good idea would it?
>>
>>64715268
if it fits why not, especially when crossovering low that bit of wood won't be any obstacle to those wavelenghts. but often the placement that looks best sounds the worst so don't rely on it
>>
>>64715286
Yeah exactly what i thought. What should I set the crossover frequency on the sub? I was thinking between 60 and 80hz. Any rough idea?
>>
>>64715297
70-85Hz is a good place to start, but don't be afraid to go as low as the ls50 can handle if you can avoid some boom with it and you don't need the increased spl from taking all the load off the kefs
>>
>>64709104
whats a dali?
>>
So I`m moving out to a new house, will have a 5 x 5 meters room dedicated to music and gaming in my pc, I want to buy a av receiver with 4 bookshelf speakers, center channel and a sub
So my budget is around 1300 usd, what would you recommend?
>>
>>64716061
salvodor
>>
>>64716370
5 lsr 305, 2 lsr310 and a hardware to make a 5.2
>>
redbull me on horn tweeters. why would you want or not want them?
>>
>>64716478
and don't forget the av preamp for another $1000 to get xlr pre outs

>>64716505
you want them for high efficiency and long throw, for example on PA systems
>>
>>64716846
you can just get a cheapo soundblaster/asus 5.1 soundcard and use 3x dual XLR male - 3.5mm splitter for front/rear L/R and subwoof (connected from L or R through output to another LSR 305). You don't need a expensive box with xlr pre-outs, if his motherboard has 5.1 even that will be okay.

>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YSAVUZ2/
>https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X4XG/
>>
File: br1-2.jpg (93 KB, 326x318)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>64690412
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
and a used Adcom amp.

It's really hard to make $300 work, but you can get close. If you are willing to "save while you play" get some sort of Tripath amp at first.
>>
File: IMG_1912.jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x3024)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>64716505
Realistic reproduction of sound.
>>
>>64695603
I hope (and suspect) that peter millet's stuff would gel well with Pass labs stuff. There is a really interesting little tube buffer circuit he posted recently if you are at all into DIY stuff.

Other than that, maybe a used Naim?
>>
Rate my setup and suggest a subwoofer and a cassette deck.
Also post your setup in text form, faggots.
>Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2
>Amp
Onkyo 9155
>DAC
Audinst HUD Mx1
>Turntable
Technics 1210 MK2 with Nagaoka MP110
>Headphones
Sennheiser HD600
>>
File: mkii306-angle_z.jpg (146 KB, 1500x986)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Anyone know what the deal is with these? LSR306P's, seem new.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-2-Way-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B0787KRJ9H

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii/306p-mkii

LSR305's still claim a slightly better frequency response though.
>>
>>64718143
One 306 costs like two 305s. I think it will be much better idea to buy 305s and a sub.
>>
>>64690412
What do I set up the JBL's with aside from connecting them directly to the PC? I want to push them a bit more, because I'm sure I'm wasting them at this point.
The standard hissing from the amp is fine but once I go above 7 on the volume dial I get another level of hissing.
>>
File: 1457004745215.jpg (282 KB, 1680x1820)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
>>64690412
Is there a difference between 2x 6.3mm to 3.5mm and a 2x XLR to 3.5mm? If both costed the same what should I go for when searching for cables for the studio monitors?
>>
>>64718194
I mean, I'm good personally. Just bringing them up as I've never heard of them and they're supposedly discontinuing the LSR305's for them. If they can solve some of the issues people had with interference and buzzing they could be really interesting.
>>
>>64718354
if your speaker has unbalanced TS or cinch inputs, then use these. if not, then using an adapter to get your unbalanced signal on an balanced TRS or XLR input loses 6dB of gain, but the connector itself makes no difference.
>>
>>64718447
they're still pretty new so it will take some time till they settle at a price similar to the old generation.
the 306 is not a replacement, it's new to the lineup, both the 305 and 308 got a new mkII version aswell
>>
>>64711400
That doesn't make my statement false. Speakers only play the information given to them
>>
>>64718464
I'm trying to figure out what cables to order for the 305s.
I'm left with TRS or XLR?
>>
>>64718638
yeah, makes no difference
>>
>>64718742
Spoonfed as fuck but should I look at higher price range for the TRSs or is it like HDMI cables and just get the cheapest?
>>
>>64718786
good connectors (neutrik, amphenol, sommer) will break less and last a lot more cycles of plugging, not so important with a fixed speaker setup. since you're using an unbalanced line the cable itself mustn't be super trash and at least somewhat shielded, but that's about it when it comes to line level signals
>>
>>64718786
Not the same guy, but I bought some TS cables from Amazon once that had a shielding issue, so just read reviews. You shouldn't have to spend anymore than the minimum, just make sure people haven't said anything bad about them.
>>
>>64708561
Just FYI but the position on the gain control isn't indicative of amp power, the adjustable gain range is strictly a design decision and the gain one sub amp has at 50% isn't going to actually result in the same amplification as a completely different sub amp at 50%. A sub can very well handle more power and produce higher SPL while having less maximum gain than another.
>>
>>64706280
I've got a pair of BX2 as well, they're great speakers aside from the typical lack of low-end. Can be remedied with a sub though.
>>
>>64691997
.........how did you do this?
>>
>>64707250
Turn volume down on speakers, turn gain up.
>>
>>64720861
Time and effort
>>
>>64715222
>all the room for tower speakers
>use meme LS50

Why? Even something basic like a Polk S50 sounds better.
>>
>>64721178
Because he's a tard
>>
What's a decent tape deck mainly for listening purposes?
Used Nakamichi isn't as cheap as it used to be.
>>
>>64721178
Isn't the imaging for the LS50s supposed to be amazing? Perhaps he wanted that.
>>
>>64712278
portland OR has some of the best selection of speakers in the world

for $100 or less, speakers up top likely to have better bass:
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/boston-acoustics-cr7/6458201394.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/yamaha-speakers-model-ns-6390/6486265555.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/boston-acoustics-cr57/6456958897.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/d/reduced-dcm-kx10-tower/6461679898.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/ele/d/jbl-speakers-3/6465636891.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/boston-a40-bookshelf-speakers/6476615769.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/boston-acoustics-cs23/6458085618.html

single speaker deal (maybe buy both for a weird mix)
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/jbl-bookshelf-speakers-n28/6484530590.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/single-kefspeaker/6493308503.html

outside price range ($120)
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/bang-olufsen-s50-beovox/6463567994.html
these above might be really good but theyre ancient
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/polk-audio-r40-floor-standing/6478097878.html
polks aren't real "accurate" but they're loud, and the last one likely has loud but not necessarily extended bass
>>
>>64721281
No subwoofer to compensate in the slightest on the low end. Imaging be damned. Could have bought a used set of floor standing speakers and had it 90%+ there.
>>
>>64721281

We have them as demo speakers at work and I'm totally underwhelmed by them. They were good a few years ago but the more equipment I test the less I have respect for the LS50
>>
>>64721331
I spy some wires running off on the right side. Could be a sub somewhere over there out of picture.
>>
>>64721325
Find me something in Minneapolis please. $800 or less
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org

>I have all the space in the world
>>
>>64721349
Looks like Ethernet and Cable to me
>>
>>64711032
There are lots of terrible $1000 speakers out there so probably.
>>
>>64715222
this entire set up is wasted space
>>
I got one of those SMSL chink amps based on TPA3118D2DAP to try out. Well I've had it for a month and it's still working which is great. Actually, I couldn't tell a difference between it and my other ''proper'' amps. Except for the noise floor, which is fucking awful. Not a bad amp to pair with some cheap bookshelfs.
>>
>>64721350
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/revel-concerta-f12-speakers/6492053828.html
>>
>>64717239
Hint hint, I've narrowed down my choice of preamp to one of the ones you mentioned. I'm in negotiations with a guy who has one for sale locally. Allah be willing, I'll be picking it up this weekend.
>>
>>64721349
I'm after a sub hence why I posted in this thread. The ls50 were originally in a much smaller space but since I've moved i now have a larger lounge. Am I better off selling them and buying floorstanders?
>>
>>64721528
That gap will probably be populated with a htpc and sub
>>
>>64722739
Despite some posters here hating them, they're supposed to be good. You already have them, get a sub and see how it sounds. You can always sell them at a later point.
>>
>>64722827
definitely will do in the smaller space i had them in you could actually get away without running one. I'll probably end up getting a sealed svs
>>
>>64718823
>>64718823
What do you mean with unbalanced line? The 305 says on the back “balanced input”. Or are those different things?
Aren’t all TRS balanced

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.