[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1516941986264.jpg (95 KB, 600x400)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Do you /g/uys think the CS job market is becoming over-saturated? I know the meme "shortage of good developers but too many crappy ones" but realistically I consider myself an average programmer and am starting to feel the heat so-to-speak.
>>
>>64710761
every industry is oversaturated
>>
>>64710761

I’m in the same boat. I have good social skills and can actually speak and make eye contact. The upper management & marketing side love me and treats me very different from the punjabis.
Now I’m in my upper 30’s and managing a bunch of smelly poos just doesn’t appeal to me any more.
The pay is good but I am losing my technical passion.
I may want to jump into technical product management at a legit tech big-5.
>>
>>64710761
its oversaturated at the entry level and by low wage 3rd worlders

the top of the field is ridiculously high demand
>>
>>64710833
>its oversaturated at the entry level and by low wage 3rd worlders
>the top of the field is ridiculously high demand
So you're basically rephrasing what OP said, what about the mid-level software engineer. What happens to them?
>>
>>64710761
Im going to become a bus driver with my dad and then jimmy my way into a cs job with the bus company since its easier to get the job that way
>>
>>64710907
or you know, you could get a real engineering degree and not have to worm your way up from blue collar work
>>
>>64710761
No, it's one of the few fields with more job openings than graduates.
>>
>>64710761
I’m a big fan of CS GO, yes
>>
>>64711978
i also like the Go programming language
>>
>>64711920
Its just in case cs shit doesn't work out.
Bus driving is ezpz and you get mad benefits and cash for doing nothing. Plus I could just become a mechanic too
>>
>>64710761
Any job that pays above average gets flooded with exponentially more job applications. Once you figure out how to rise above the noise you won't feel the squeeze so much.

Don't learn more technical skills. Focus on soft skills. Communication, negotiation even just being funny is going to take you further than learning some new programming language. If people trust you they will just let you learn that new skill on the job.
>>
Isn't it happening everywhere with all this open borders shit?
>>
>>64712269
>impoverished mexicans who probably don’t even know english or how to use the internet are jumping the border to become node.js developers

???
>>
Jobs that aren't web dev or Java are in incredibly high demand. You can't just do a code camo and get a job anymore. The company I'm at laughs those applicants off.
>>
>>64712556
There are smart Mexicans, you know.
>>
File: shouta.jpg (54 KB, 921x888)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>64710761
>Do you /g/uys think the CS job market is becoming over-saturated?

Yes, because people are lazy for study real engineering and prefer copy-paste code of Stackoverflow. My friends work in a generic ~500 person office building in cubicles, they are in CS fields and programming because society push the "the Mr robot hacker" bullshit, when CS is the same thing that writing numbers in excel
>>
>>64712783
I don’t doubt that but do you think mexicans with slick programming skills are so desperate to get here that they have to do it illegally?
>>
>>64710761
I interviewed a candidate today. CS graduate. Could not do "count down from 700 to 200 in decrements of 13". Could not do "print the 12x12 table", either.

There are lot of people out there who call themselves programmers. Very very few of them can actually program. I do not know about the non-programming part of CS.
>>
>>64713524
lmao what thats like 4 lines of code
>>
>>64713586
This is from an old interview. Same first question.
>>
>wanting to be the sad past of Mr. Anderson
the matrix has you, goy, you are a slave.
>>
>>64710761
I fucking hate indians, dude.
>>
>>64713619
crazy maybe i should just put my portfolio out there if it's that easy
>>
>>64713661
They only ask those questions for entry-level positions, you'll most likely end up like this /g/uys >>64710986 but it's worth giving it a shot.
>>
>>64713661
This is from today's interview (>>64713524). Text in red pen is my own.
>>
>>64713705

Is he lying about being a CS graduate?
>>
>>64713705
>return i;
>>
>>64713726
https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/7x3g0z/bouncing_back_from_cheating_on_my_cs_degree/
>>
>>64713762
>all those people encouraging and even congratulating him

Redditors should be gassed.
>>
>>64713650
DEY TUK OUR JEBS
>>
File: 1514111589845.png (8 KB, 400x400)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>64713797
I'm not surprised since I've seen many Indians surf that subreddit and various tech subs on reddit
>>
File: 1517746491923.png (1.69 MB, 991x1426)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>64713799
>>
>>64713799
DEY TOOK OUR SLAVERY.
good riddance.
>>
>>64710761
that's a school lab dude
not people at their jobs
>>
I don't get it. If so many people are "bad programmers" and cheat/bullshit their way through school, whats the solution if you're in school now? Learn as much as possible on your own? If these people are so bad how are they getting jobs? Is there an actual shortage or a surplus?
>>
>>64713632
fuck off you filthy satanist
>>
>>64713484
No, the ones who come to code go legally through relatives and fake political asylum.
>>
>>64710809
>every industry is oversaturated
yes
>>64710833
which basically applies to every field

solution: don't choose something which looks nice from the outside, choose something in which you can be in the top 0.5-1%
>>
I hate Pajeets with a passion. In down under they are everywhere, smelly, ugly, stupid poos
>>
why should that stop you op

im pretty meh but can be a big white business boy if i need to and get along with other people. at the very least i can go back to the huge ass companies ive interned with for an alright 40$ an hour.
>>
Teaching myself to java as we speak
just did all the free modules on codecademy. Should I pay for the pro version to do the rest?
or is there somewhere else just as good for learning the basics? I'm a visual learner and I prefer doing code than reading about it.
>>
File: 1e9.png (32 KB, 625x626)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>64714616
>>
>>64714664
what bait? i'm geniunely asking

What are the first steps after codecademy? I'm just asking for resources for beginners. Interactive resources.
>>
File: black-man-mop.jpg (27 KB, 240x320)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>64714564
I my country we have a sayibg about the Indian:

>when you're walking in the forest, and you come across an Indian and a Cobra...
>you kill the Indian first
>>
>>64714753
What country?
>>
>>64714753
>>64714753
sure it wasnt a coding joke and you meant to say python ;)
>>
>>64713983
>whats the solution if you're in school now?
Learn actual skills.

>If these people are so bad how are they getting jobs?
They are not.

>Is there an actual shortage or a surplus?
There is a huge, GIGANTIC shortage of programmers. Let me be clear: There is a big surplus of "people who call themselves programmer", but there is a shortage of "actual programmers".
>>
It depends on what discipline you intend to go down. A CS degree might help for C#/C++ programmers but if you intend to develop frontend applications it's not needed.

I do frontend design + dev with a third in an arts degree, learn a few meme frameworks, whack them on your CV and start building a portfolio.
>>
>>64714616
>>64714733
Start solving problems. That is the fastest way to learn.
>>
>>64714913
>There is a huge, GIGANTIC shortage of programmers. Let me be clear: There is a big surplus of "people who call themselves programmer", but there is a shortage of "actual programmers".
Maybe where you live, but pretty much everyone I know can solve any of your interview challenges in 1-2 minutes. The competition is fierce.
>>
>>64714962
Are they employed?
>>
>>64710761
There is a "shortage" if you restrict yourself to pure tech companies, since they're the ones who set ridiculous standards on their applicants (e.g. must be willing to work 60+ hour work weeks including learning a ton of shit on your free time, needs 2-3 years of experience for entry level, 2-3 nontrivial personal projects that are widely used by real users, must know a laundry list of esoteric features).
>>
>>64714922
What problems? I can't code. I'm brand new to this. I need beginners lessons. That's what I'm asking for.

interactive lessons online. Apart from codecademy where else is good for java?
>>
>>64714962
>The competition is fierce.
Are you implying that's a bad thing, somehow?
That's a good thing for the economy. It drives the wages down and increases the profits, which in turn increases the capital investment.

Remember, only the bottom of the barrel coders are affected by this.
>>
>>64715080
A good CS university program, if you need to be spoon-fed everything.
>>
>>64714991
Of the 7 I know, only 3 of them are full time.

I also attended a company's information session where about 20 people took small quiz that was a little more challenging than your questions, but still easy enough. About 10-15 of them were good enough to have interviews on the spot. And this is for ONE full stack web position.
>>
>>64715112
The two questions I posted earlier are from the "Ultra Easy Questions" list.

They are not meant to take more than 1-2 minutes each.
>>
>>64715095
>Remember, only employees are affected by this.
FTFY
>>
>>64715095
>Are you implying that's a bad thing, somehow?
Yes, that is bad, because good programmers are willing to throw their lives away to have the opportunity to be graced with shit wages, only to get burned out. No other field requires you to live and breathe their work outside of work the way tech does.

>That's a good thing for the economy. It drives the wages down and increases the profits, which in turn increases the capital investment.
Maybe for big companies, but startups and small companies that try to pull this shit almost always die fast.
>>
>>64715209
>good programmers are willing to throw their lives away to have the opportunity to be graced with shit wages
Nope. Good programmers are always high in demand. You're a shit programmer if you can't get a job or get shit wages. Simple as that.

>startups and small companies that try to pull this shit almost always die fast
Not always the case. Obviously, startups cannot scale their workforce like big companies do. Startup employees need to do a broader range of work; large/midcap companies can scale their workforce to a larger extent. It's just how the industry works.
>>
>>64715564
>large/midcap companies can scale their workforce to a larger extent.
True for assembly line workers. Not true for whiteish collar jobs (read programmers in a non tech company).
>It's just how the industry works.
Assertion without any proof.
>>
>>64716042
>read programmers in a non tech company
>non tech company
What's the difference?
>>
I know jack shit about programming (don't really hold my interest imo). I'm more into the pc hardware/software/low end networking support type. After working in non IT, now at 35, I may finally have landed the ideal IT job for me. I go on interview today (2 openings). It's help desk basically but it allows me to learn how "company b" operates, what there policy's are and I don't come off looking like a dumb ass if some situation high up the pole comes along and I have no clue how to fix it (such as AD totally going down). Not that I prob couldn't fix it, just I'd rather not be in the hot seat till I got to know how the place is ran first. Plus I'd keep my current benefits and whatnot cause I'd be transferring from one branch of the main "company" to another. Wish me luck!
>>
>>64716073
What do you think? Does your company produce/work with tech, or not?
>>
>>64716073
Google, Microsoft, Red Hat, SAP, Facebook are all exclusively tech companies as their products are exclusively software.
GM, Ford, BoA, John Deere, Exxon, GE are not tech companies but they all have a small in house dev team, So to scale a small workforce you would need to entirely wipe out an entire department and that's not good for business.
>>
>>64716288
name one company that doesn't work with tech
>>
>>64710761
there are scores of programmers great on paper that can't do simple string reversal during tech interview.
>>
File: Capture.png (260 KB, 910x522)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
>>64710761
pic related is the founder of Calibre (ebook management software). Why you keep making fun of pajeets /g/?

https://kovidgoyal.net/
>>
>>64710761
>boo hoo go work at mcdonalds
sure saying that feeds the ego, but don't be surprised when every dick and jane that wants a living wage swarms your field so they don't get outsourced by AI or whatever
>>
>>64716375
theres like 10 billion indians some of them are alright but 99.99% of them are useless
>>
Calibre is the shit man. Allows me to convert all my pirated e-books to whatever format i need.
>>
File: anm8b48.png (10 KB, 408x276)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>64713524
>>64713619
They had trouble doing pic related?
>>
File: 1469852298984.png (274 KB, 626x510)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
Just dont forget that these punjabis, poo in da loos or thngs like that, acomplished more in life than you and your whole family.
They were born in a 3rd world country with shitty wages and made it to US to make way more than the average AMERICAN

Meanwhile you were born and educated in US and is still unsatisfied with your job. Youre a failure, not them.
>>
>>64716346
GM
Ford
Exxon
Shell
BP
Gazprom
* Airlines
VW
Boeing
Airbus
And others, they use tech to remain competitive but their *final* product isn't tech (software).
>>
>>64716937
>they use tech
>they don't work with tech
amazing
>>
>>64716042
>Not true for whiteish collar jobs (read programmers in a non tech company).
First of all, being a coder is a blue-collar job. And a white-collar programmer is always high in demand in a tech or non-tech company.

>>64716302
>So to scale a small workforce you would need to entirely wipe out an entire department and that's not good for business.
What do you mean by this?
You can scale a small workforce to a large workforce by adding low-skilled jobs for redundant and repetitive tasks. That's how startups go from being smallcap to largecap. It just doesn't work like this for the programming department in a non-tech company because they don't need it.
>>
>>64716943
>Entire thread is about Computer Science
>The entire discussion is about software development
>Explicitly points out "tech" in context of software
My bad anon, I often forget how hard context is.
>>
>>64716901
this tbqh
>>
Yes, yes it is.
>too many normie “””””””techies””””””” trying to be cool
>everything getting outsourced to pajeetland
>SJW shit giving women an unfair edge

I remember when any old idiot couldn’t access a computer. It kept the normies out but then they got clever.
>>
>>64710809
This, the world is becoming oversaturated.
Everyone and their mothers moving to USA and Europe isn't helping either.
I give it 20 years until most of the western world becomes like China and India, noisy, filthy and drowning in people.
>>
>>64717042
>I cannot code better than a Pajeet but gib me a job... waa~
Do you, by any chance, know why companies hire Pajeets and Chinks? (hint: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/profit.asp)
>>
>>64717054
>This, the world is becoming oversaturated.
Welp, about time you offed yourself.
>>
>>64716901
its their own fault they were born in a fucking shithole lmao
>>
>>64717054
>This, the world is becoming oversaturated.
Musk had better get that Mars colonization program working asap.
>>
>>64716553
that second one definitely does not print a 12 by 12 multiplication table.
>>
File: eicn6Js.png (17 KB, 794x236)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>64717614
Yea my bad, something like this was asked?
>>
>>64713705
this is simply unacceptable. i could pick up iterative programming within a week. i'm struggling with oop for some reason, though.
>>
>>64713705
>>64713524
I hope this isn't what I'm like in a year
>>
>>64717635
yeah that actually seems like a slightly harder one, the formatting would be hard to get right if you couldn't run it and see what the output looks like.
>>
File: 1515825950594.jpg (68 KB, 600x788)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>64717719
I guess you could escape the fancier formatting duties during an interview like this when you can't really test and see the output by tabulating everything like a true gangster instead
>>
>>64710761
>the CS job market is becoming over-saturated?
Software is commoditized as fuck. I tell you guys, where I live there is also immigration but no one of them have programming skills. And CS schools are actually half empty compared to just 10 years ago. Yet employers keep spamming bullshit job offers paying even less than back then.
There are only shitty jobs. No one does requirement analysis. No one does proper testing. Little to no architecture. No config management. Nothing is done professionally.

The age of sane software development is over.

I give up in trying to find that black swan of a company in my area. I know there are some 5 stars restaurants in the country but 99% of the offers here are for McDonalds. I want to work seriously and rationally. I didn't study a degree for this. I see no other way out other than finding a different job not related to programming.
>>
I guess it depends on where you live and how is the market. I live in a none english speaking country where the demand is CRAZY for programmers, aided by the fact you can't outsource to pajeets who don't even speak your language. we also have 4 decent universities that have CS programs and that's it, and they limit their class size and weed out retards, so there is a set amount of people graduating which isn't large at all. companies usually scout people from the top 4 unis and throw into the trash any resume from a guy who graduated from any other institute, unless he can provide a sizable portfolio and proves himself during the interview
wages are great but nowhere near sillicon valley though
>>
Nah. It looks like the because lots of normies can do their basic hello world in whatever language they choose but only 10% of them know a framework or can actually offer more than an automated thing like Squarespace will offer. Probably less than 10% though realistically.

It's like people watch the big bang theory and spend a week on free code camp and they figure out the basics but very few people will follow through, happens with everything in life.
>>
>>64718042
hmmmm where anon?
>>
>>64718108
israel
>>
>>64717846
If you think you can do so much better start your own company then you faggot
>>
>>64718238
It is heavily taxed here. Almost punished I'd say.

But I don't aim for excellence, I just want out of cheap hacks everyday. I'm tired of open spaces, changing requirements, willy-nilly change requests, impossible estimations, micromanagement and shitty coworkers. Fuck this all.
>>
File: 1515595035501.jpg (30 KB, 320x500)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>64718137
Israel's tech scene is underrated, didn't Waze originate from Israel? Also many companies have a respectable satellite branch in your country.
>>
>>64718603
basically everyone has a branch here yeah, makes the demand for engineers/programmers basically elastic - get strong professionals for half or less of the price of a silicon valley engineer. pretty unique situation in regards to the world, you need to be literally retarded to not get a high paying job out of uni if you did CS.
creates an imbalance in terms of every other profession though - anything in tech pays really well and anything that isn't is fucking shit, paying literally 3-4 times less.
>>
>>64717846
What do you think will be the next age?
Which type of technology? AI? Big Data?
>>
>>64718777
seemingly every second firewall vendor is from israel too for some reason. selling to arab customers, your portfolio is very limited.
>>
I actually have a long list of work on my resume. However, I have had a tough time getting through to an interview except for a couple of situations. I clearly am either not good enough for whatever high standard they have or no one is actually looking at my resume. I guess at that point networking becomes a big deal.
>>
Whats the easiest CS job to land?
>>
>>64719803
helldesk
>>
>>64718877
> for some reason
It's the same reason Kaspersky is made in russia and peddled to computing newfags here in the US.

Backdoors. Backdoors everywhere. Israeli Mossad really love it when people use checkpoint firewalls.
>>
>>64710890
You've got a few critical years to move up or you will be relegated and stagnate for the rest of your career.
>>
File: 1516462252813.jpg (29 KB, 480x360)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>64718777 (divine checked)
When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. (Deuteronomy 26:12)
>>
>>64721359
What if I'm burnt out?
>>
>>64712763
So what other jobs are there? What should I focus on if I want to branch out from EE/CE? Also I'm a math fag.
>>
>>64710761
I literally hate pajeets. They need to go back to India holy fucking shit they’re the true scum of the earth
>>
>>64710761

Pure CS is over-saturated. You need to get into a niche. Pair CS with literally anything else and you are made.
>>
>>64723184

Start drinking
>>
File: Resume01.jpg (209 KB, 894x1272)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
Hold me guys, I am going back in. Three more phone interviews today, the first starts in about 35 minutes.

And also, enjoy a sample resume. This candidate may have (very slightly) overestimated their English skills.
>>
File: 1508553627061.jpg (60 KB, 575x575)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>64723676
Why do you guys consider these overseas idiots, but you don't consider your fellow Americans? I feel like being an American is almost a bad thing these days.
>>
>>64724391
diversity requirements
>>
>>64723676
Why are you even giving her a chance? Toss this shit out
>>
File: 1508289661599.jpg (63 KB, 768x768)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>64724496
Damn, no wonder.
>>
>>64723676
looks like every malay person i know trying to speak english. a lot of big words that they dont really know the meaning to

godspeed falcon
>>
Honestly I feel like the CS market isn't saturated only because there's too many shit programmers.
>>
>>64713705
I think you may have been bamboozled by somebody who lied on a resume lmao.
>>
>>64715080
math problems
like adding all the prime numbers from 1-100 and printing out the result
>>
>>64723676
Would you hire me if I put 'long hair' for personal features?
>>
>>64713524
How much time did you give for each question? Because I'm going to time myself to see how quickly I can solve those two questions. I know I CAN solve them, just a matter of how quick.
>>
>>64724391
I _am_ one of the overseas idiots, and the rules here state that small companies can only hire locals. To be able to hire foreigners on-site, I need to have a large company, which means having RM1,250,000, which is roughly equal to USD$300K. So maybe I can hire "fellow" Americans in about 10 years.

Interview is over. I am still digesting. Give me a sec to write out an answer
>>
>>64714733
If you're more creative and more of a writer:
> Choose your own text adventure game
If you have some skills drawing and whatnot:
> Jank some sample code to draw some picture s and animate them

If you really got nothing else:
> Simulate a deck of cards and use it to fake card draws. even better use it to calculate win rates for certain poker hands

All of these are quite easy and many schools get people to do stuff like it early on in first/second year.
>>
>>64724572
I usually say: Write your code down, and let me know when you are ready to read it to me.

Question: Find all the odd numbers between 0-100
for(int i = 1; i >= 100; i++){ 
i = i%1;
int result;
if (result = 1){ int output = result; }
if (result = 0){ i++; }

I walked the candidate through this code carefully... twice. There are no typos, not the "i%1", and not the single "=" in the last two lines. And yes, candidate SPECIFICALLY wanted ">=" in the for loop.

This is a candidate who has 8 years total experience.

Want to see "sum all the numbers between two integers"?
>>
>>64715112
This seems more like my experience. Actually for an interview I had recently they had me try to write a service to remotely sync files across two servers in 30 minutes.
>>
>>64724605
public class countDown 
{
//Question: Find all the odd numbers between 0-100

public static void main(String[] args)
{
for( int i = 0; i < 101; i++ )
{
if( i % 2 != 0 )
{
System.out.println(i);
}
}
}
}

1 min 15 sec

INB4 DURR HURR Java IDGAF, it's keeping me employed
>>
>becoming

Holy fucking shit, you're around 10 years too late you moron. Its already over and you're asking if its about to begin.
>>
>>64724605
>Want to see "sum all the numbers between two integers"?

You mean a follow up from that last question say 1 + 3, then 3 + 5, etc?
>>
>>64724605
>>64724633

for (int i = 1; i < 100; i + 2) printf("%d", i);
12.23 seconds on my clock nigga;
>>
>>64724641
I think things started to take a nosedive around 2012 and things are gradually getting worse year-by-year. I think 2016 is when mid-level engineers are starting to notice it's difficult to have job mobility in this industry.
>>
>>64724644
No, an entirely different question. Whenever I get an answer like the above, I always ask: "If you run this, do you think it will work?"

They invariably say: "No, because it has syntax errors and logic errors."

Why do they give me answers that they know do not work, with syntax and logic errors? I wish I knew.

Anyway...

Question: Assuming you have two integers, x and y, with y bigger than x. Sum all the integers from x to y. Example: If x is 1, and y is 5, then sum 1+2+3+4+5.
int num1 = x;
int num2 = y;
for(int i = num1; i >= num2; i++){
int result = i + (i+1);
i++;
}

Again, I went through the code with the candidate. There are no typos here, if you are looking at the second "i++" inside the loop. Feel free to try and work out what the candidate was thinking, because I have no idea.
>>
>>64724633
You can also avoid doing the relatively expensive modulo operation by just checking the last bit:
for(int i=0;i<=100;i++) if(i & 1 == 1) System.out.println(i);
>>
>tfw you will never be a successful entrepreneur
>tfw you will never be able to hire hordes of your fellow countrymen
>tfw you will never be able to pay them good wages
>tfw you will never be able to provide them with amazing benefits
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>64724645
> i+2
jesus fuck i am retarded
>>
File: 1501842602241.jpg (91 KB, 960x960)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>64724688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmUd9jrNa5Q
>>
Oh, and one more thing:

I am not an American, and I cannot hire you on-site (to work here locally in Malaysia), but I am hiring a webdev, if you are interested. Since I cannot hire you locally, it will have to be remote, through upwork. I have not hired a dev remotely before, so I do not know if it will work or not, but you are welcome to give it a try.

Email me if you are interested. My email is public.
>>
>>64724391
because an entry level fresh out of college student is going to cost any major company ~60$/hour, while pajeet costs 20$/hour and will work twice the hours without complaining
>>
>>64724721
*and by "twice the hours", i mean you say you work 40hours/week, but are actually working 80hours/week
>>
>>64724719
I'm trying to get started on upwork, any advice for an aspiring freelancer?
>>
>>64724721
>>64724727
It's easier for the company to control and manhandle these immigrants vying for their visas. An American worker can simply quit his/her job and walk away at a moment's notice. I know what it's like to work on a crap codebase that you are left with to maintain with an incompetent management breathing down your neck and giving you a hard time.
>>
>>64724681
        int x = 4;
int y = 18;
int bucket = 0;

while( x < y + 1 )
{
bucket += x;
x++;
}
System.out.println(bucket);

2 min 15 sec

I fucked up which is why I took longer. I did "while( x < y )", did a quick calculation then realized the fuck up.
>>
>>64724684
I admit I forgot about that, thanks for the reminder
>>
File: Untitled.png (173 KB, 1065x1216)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>64724732
Depends on what job you are doing. But I have 30+ people who have applied to the job I posted there, so I can tell you how I am filtering:

1- Asking price. I simply do not defecate gold, and that is a fact. I can only hire those who I can afford. I wish I could afford everyone, but I cannot.
2- Job success rate. If you have done well before, you are likely to get more work done well now.
3- Skill matching. This is mostly handled by the platform, but other platforms do not do this.

If you are starting, you cannot compete on #2, but you can compete on #1. Once you have some job done successfully, you can increase your asking price.
>>
Next interview in 7 minutes. I will be back!
>>
>>64710833
So basically 80% of all other fields?
>>
>>64724781
Ok, another interview done. This has been my most experienced candidate yet: 19 years of experience! Yes, 19! Very impressive CV! Banks! Universities! There are a couple of _very_ nice places that this candidate worked at that I cannot mention due to privacy, but it would be equivalent of one of us working for the Navy!

Graduated and started worked (literally) in the previous century! What a catch, if this candidate could work for me, oh yes!

...sigh.

Question: Find all the odd numbers between 0-100
function (0,100)
echo odd

Me: What is this?
>Candidate: This is my answer
M: I am not sure if this will work
>C: I do not want to answer more than this

Ok.

Question: Find the sum of all integers between 0-100
echo sum(0,100)

Me: Ok, and if I wanted this done in javascript?
echo sum(0,100)
sum++

So I guess that is that. Final interview is in one minute.
>>
>>64725237
wtf, how do you manage to find so many incapable "developers".

I'm only some 17y old frontend webdev and even I could figure out those basic questions.
>>
>>64725314
Read up on FizzBuzz. For every dev job that opens up, 200 people will apply. 199 will be non-programmers.

...and I am interviewing all of them!

So this is the result of the final interview. The candidate was a fresh grad, so I made it as easy as I could.

Question: Count down from 700 to 200, in decrements of 13.
for(int x = 700; x < 700; x--){
int startnum = 700;
int decrement = 13;
double answer;
answer = startnum - decrement;
if(answer < 200) break;
}

Two more phone interviews tomorrow, before I sort out and interview all the 30+ people on upwork.

Life is beautiful.
>>
entry level dev jobs dont exist in america
>>
>>64710761
Damn, imagine the STINK in that room, haha!
>>
>>64710761
What the point of making them sit so close to each other but leave so much empty space between desks? They could've used that space to make them sit more freely.
>>
>>64725475
these questions are similar to the short response questions in my fundamentals of C final exam at university.
>>
>>64725475
Dude, where can I contact you, I wanna stay updated on incapable "programmers" failing interviews.
>>
>>64726604
My email is public.

...as is my website, and my contact info is there, too.
>>
>>64710761
I used to worry but then I realized that >60% of the people I graduated with can't code

and I did go to top 10 school too, although honestly I could imagine community college classes are actually doing better
>>
>>64716937
car industry is now 20% EECS.
>>
>>64718777
>Demand is basically elastic

You mean inelastic. Highly elastic demand would mean that the quantity demanded reacts to even the smallest change in price, whereas you mean the opposite.
>>
>>64726810
>my email is public

which freaking email??
>>
>>64714785
Pakistan
>>
>>64712763
Like what? Literally all the jobs are in web dev/java now, its the exact opposite of what you said.
>>
>>64710761
over-saturated with bad workers, yes.

Anon, it's not that hard to understand. IT in general is a trade.
Look at the US for what happens to the trades - Mexicans do cheap fucking jobs and do bad jobs.

Same with Asians and IT. Asians are supposed to be intelligent, more than White People but hey, they're not. The culture there promotes copy and paste cheating.
So ultimately, you have low and mid level programers who can do fuck all.

Learn some good social and people skills. Dress well. Make fucking chitchat with the managers. Step on your coworkers to succeed (that's the biggest thing people don't realized at work - you have to screw others over to succeed).
>>
>>64714537
Actually good advice
>>
>>64729907
Not really, not everybody is going to end up in the top 1% so you need a reasonable job but those seem to be drying up in this day and age
>>
>>64729516
>Asians are supposed to be intelligent, more than White People but hey, they're not.
NB: britbongs are the only idiots who call Pajeets "Asians"
>>
>>64730631
I said pajeets and asians for a reason, anon.

Pajeets aren't yellow asians, they're brown asians.
Also not a britbong so carry on
>>
>>64710761
Yeah, there are a lot of retarded normies in CS and they're passing/graduating fairly easily. CS is dead.
>>
>>64730930
>I said pajeets and asians
Odd, don't see it in >>64729516
>Pajeets aren't yellow asians, they're brown asians.
Hm, I've only seen britbongs refer to pajeets as asians. Most English-speaking folks use "Asians" only for the East/gook ones.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.