[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: heh.jpg (134 KB, 800x450)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>blocks your degree
>heh, you'll have to get past me if you wanna be a programmer, kid
>>
>>65956765
>tfw can't get Adderall despite having more than enough diagnoses
>>65956748
Calculus isn't really that hard. It's kind of fun once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>65956748
*teleports behind you
>>
>>65956778
Sorry boy, this will not get you the knowledge...
>>
>>65956748
if calculus blocks you from getting your degree i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but a derivative aint one
>>
Kicked my ass, and probably why I've been taking forever to get to the goal. That and no money.
>>
>>65956748
Is calculus actually the hardest thing about programming? From somebody who is about to start college for computer science
>>
>>65956778
This shit is literally cheating. I've never been able to pump out so much work without it. Only used it twice on my first year and stopped, couldn't even sleep if I took it mid day.
>>
>>65956778
Boiiii i been eatin' them shits like M&Ms since last week. At least my calc final is at 10 tomorrow morning and after that I'm done for the semester. Just have to get up at 4am and grind out fucking related rates and optimization bullshit till then.

>>65956853
At my uni that and the Data Strutcurs/Algorithms class will brutally ass-rape your GPA not because the material is hard but because they always get shitty professors that don't care to teach the classes.

My Data Structures teacher kept assigning programming projects even she couldn't do and they were each 10% of your grade. If I ever hear "K-Way Merge without Min Heap" again I'm gonna fucking chokeslam the person who mentioned it through a window.
>>
High school senior here, took Calculus 1 & 2 last year, and Calc 3/Intro to Linear Algebra this year. If basic mathematics is stopping you from getting a CS degree, you'd be better off with a software engineering degree.
>>
>>65956818
This. If you actually fail calculus, you deserve to fail your major and flip burgers.
>>
>>65956748
Best class I ever had, honestly. I love the subject!
>>
>>65956748
>>blocks your degree
>Touch it lightly
>Falls over by itself
Well that was easy.
>>
>>65956948
Math major here, Calc is shit. Algos was the best shit.
>>
>>65956964
nah son Numerical Analysis was the best
>>
File: 1522508336950.png (56 KB, 645x729)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>65956748
>>
>>65956748
are you implying calculus is hard?
>>
>>65956970
>just use Taylor's theorem lmao
Nah

I kid, I loved numerical too.
>>
File: 1518181880002.png (147 KB, 645x729)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>65956748
>>
>>65956894
Spoken like a true senior
>>
What level of complexity are we talking about exactly?

Took calculus in high school and it wasn't particularly hard except for the fact that I kept fuckin up the trig integral formulas, but then again most complicated things we did were limits with Riemann integrals
>>
File: 7545.jpg (58 KB, 470x626)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Calculus is a meme.

Not ONE day has gone by yet where I've had to use calculus in my day to day programming.
Being good at algebra and logic is all you need.
Let the computer do the tough maths for you. It's what it's for.

Granted, i don't do any like, machine learning or AI shit or whatever, so maybe that's different
>>
>>65956748
EZ
Taught it to myself, git gud
>>
>>65957037
git add -A
>>
>>65957033
This

>>65956748
Unless you develop shit that need to be using calculus by default you really dont need to be a math genius to program.

A programmer need logic more than maths to do shit. Logic and how something will logically work is the most important shit ever, if you have enough of it you will make your computer do any kind of maths for you.
>>
>>65956881
I hope you drop out you degenerate druggie
>>
>>65956748
>Baby calculus: Calculus made easy
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf
>Poor Germany

>Good old russian book
differential and integral calculus by n piskunov

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0uVd31B7zGEOHZiWWVUclRHYm8/edit
>>
>>65957033
They just made it a major requirement the semester I started. The justification for doing that instead of another actual CS class is that it opens up more opportunities for what classes you can take to fulfill their bullshit lab science requirement.

Meanwhile their Discrete Math and Linear Algebra, you know, the shit you actually need to know for CS work are garbage classes taught by burnt-out professors that obviously don't wanna be there anymore.
>>
>>65956748
Calc is pretty easy m8.
>>
Who Rudin here
>>
any source or books i should read to learn calculus? i mean all i know is -+/*, logic, an the order of -+/*. where do i beggin from evenn
>>
>>65957051
If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' bruh.

Unless you want to get a bottom-of-the-barrel job and don't care about your GAP, Adderall's the only way to play nowadays.
>>
>>65957099
Yeah have fun going through the rest of your life trying to justify Adderall just to do your job. If you're not smart enough to do it without drugs, maybe you're being educated beyond your intelligence.
>>
>>65956748
What's with this meme? I took calculus through differential equations and they were among the easiest classes I've taken for my CS degree.

If you have trouble with calculus then you should seriously rethink your choice of profession.
>>
definitely can be an elite pr0grammer without calculus. programmers almost never need calculus. of course if you can't do calculus you're retarded, but that doesn't mean you can't be a great code monkey
>>
>>65957117
A lot of people have shitty math fundamentals from high school on back. This really bites them in the ass in calculus since it builds on all the math you've learned until that point.

Nowadays a lot of schools push the fuck out of STEM-related classes because muh tech boom but 10-20 years ago, you were lucky if you had one competent high school math teacher in the entire district that did more than just teach verbatim from an outdated textbook.
>>
File: 517.jpg (9 KB, 248x233)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>65957051
>Moralfags
>>
>calculus 1 and 2 are hard
>>
>>65956748
i think calculus really has so little application in cs, i wonder if unis can focus more on algorithms instead to fill that void.

i mean its hard to fail, but it definitely hit the hardest on my gpa.

t. dumb 1st year student with bad gpa
>>
>>65956881
Addy is bad on your body in the long run. Give pot + melatonin + Lthanine for sleep and coffee naps a try to not wear down your body too much.

The pot calms you down but lowers your body's amount of melatonin. Which makes it harder to fall asleep. The melatonin makes you groggy if too much of the suplent builds up in your body. The Lthanene helps move the melatonin through your body wuicker so you don't get any hang over effect from the melatonin supplement. With this trio I can consistently sleep for 5 hours and feel like I got 8
>>
>>65956748
I don't even try
>>
Did AP calc in HS, calc 2 and 3 in college. Didn't think AP calc was too bad. I've seen some of the calc 1 coursework from my friends in college and it looked more difficult than AP. If calc 1 stops you, you should rethink your study habits. The processes of calculus are fairly intuitive. The shitty parts, like trig substitution, can be memorized.
>>
I haven't used calculus at all in my work but I wish I remembered more of it. Discrete mathematics is actually useful though. If you study that, take good notes and review them every now and then.
>>
>>65957227
>Addy is bad on your body in the long run
>Suggests DUDEWEEDLMAO and some activated almonds tier meme supps instead

If you're gonna suggest an alternative, at least suggest something effective like modafinil. Addy might beat your body up if you overdo it, but at least it's actually been tested/approved and is produced with good QC unlike a lot of the poorly-regulated supplements and weed you suggested.

Plus, heavy weed use will have a negative effect on your memory and motivation which is the exact opposite of what you want in this situation.
>>
I don't use calc on the job but it's good knowledge to have about rates of change and it becomes useful for advanced design. I took 3 calcs, diff eq, linear algebra, but the one that gave me the most trouble was probability. I just couldn't get my head around it. I'm still not sure why it was a requirement for an EE degree.

The math I use the most is statistics. It's incredibly useful but most colleges emphasize calculus because it's perceived as a weedout course.
>>
>>65956778
how do you even get these if you're not american
>>
>>65957322
You don't lmao, the rest of the world banned that shit for good reason.
>>
>>65956748
>This is really the only math you need:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_Mathematics
>>
>>65957114
I licked a negro once
>>
>>65956748
>All these fucking brainlets thinking Calculus is hard

Protip: Mathematics doesn't even get hard until you have to start doing proofs, and even then it only does so gradually and by the time you're making proofs in more advanced fields, you are already used to doing proofs by then
>>
>>65957511
Proofs ain't shit senpai. They reward being methodical and organized whereas a lot of calculus rewards rote memorization and being really fast at grinding out arithmetic/algebra when you're doing it for a test.
>>
>>65957327
can you smuggle some for me pls
>>
>>65957549
>when you post on /g/ but don't know what the darknet is or how to use it
>>
>>65957033
>Calculus is a meme.
No, it is a class to filter out the people who won't make it anyway.

*Everyone* should take this class, if you can't do it you don't belong into University.
>>
>>65957037
>>65957047
These, learned calculus and thought it was EZ
Learning real math I learned that drunk me perform better math than sober me, it all boiled down to logic
Because I was logical, the Excell function works
Do I know how? Fuck no.
>>
>>65957554
I know what it is and how to use it, I just got that idea 2 minutes ago as well. Although ever since the silk road takedown I stopped thinking of it as the place to get drugs, don't know why since it clearly wasn't going to stop anyone
>>
>>65957541
That's very true, but compared to calculus, they involve more work and actual effort put into them. People saying that calculus or any of these babby-tier math courses are hard are brainlets.
>>
>>65956748
Do you actually get a choice of classes like this in American university? In UK university we pick our subject then if we're lucky we have a small selection of electives but usually it's mostly core classes all the way through. My BSc is in Maths so there was no 'Calculus 101', calculus just featured to some degree in almost all of my classes.
>>
>>65957581
It depends on the person. Most early baby math is impossible for me because it's basically about being a good computer and I suck at that. I only ever began to enjoy math and actually understand it when proofs got involved. It's such a shame that the math progression is so fucked up in American education . If proofs and formal logic were covered earlier it'd be so much better
>>
>>65957569
It's still alive and well, just more fragmented and you have to be more careful about where and who you buy from since there's way more scammers now.
>>
>>65957664
I wish I was smart enough to snoop around that
>>
>>65957263
> Take ap calc 1 and 2 in hs
> get a 5 and 4 respectively
> Go to community college for first 2 years because money
> Take calc 3 since I was considering a math major
> Pass with a B or something
> Transfer to current school
> Calc 3 credits transfer and calc 1 credits are good with an ap score
> School wants a 5 on calc 2 ap exam
> Mfw I had a calc 3 credit but had to take calc 2 again in college
(((((((( ))))))))) init

But yea if you can't basic calculus there's no hope
>>
>>65957675
I disagree . Calculus isn't the ultimate gateway into math.
>>
>>65957674
I don't understand how smart you have to be to open a website using a specific browser and purchase things with bitcoin
>>
>>65957690
The part where my tinfoil prevents me from trusting the browser to be my shield
>>
>>65957646
I've never known anyone who is bad with basic arithmetic but good with proofs. Just about everyone can do basic arithmetic, it's only a question of processing speed. Some people are blessed to be fast, others are convinced by our shitty school systems that they 'can't do it' just because they can't do it fast. You can't really cover the proofs and such earlier because they're all underpinned by an understanding of arithmetic. You can't explain how we derive things, kids just aren't going to get it.
>>
>>65957688
What would you consider to be the 'ultimate gateway into math' out of curiosity?
>>
>>65957694
then you just have to take extra precautions
>>
File: 1490248424428.jpg (166 KB, 580x565)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>graduated 4.0 and greatest cum load with a piss easy humanities degree
>never had to take any meme math courses, only science courses were intro level rocks for jocks and other stupid shit
>landed job working for govt language program right out of college
>paying dirt tuition for masters thanks to wife who works at university library
>eventually transition to cushy bullshit administrative job
>mfw listening to all the STEM crybabbies
christ what the fuck are you people doing
>>
>>65957698
The one that makes you realize math can be really interesting and satisfying .
>>
>>65957695
Well now you have. It's me. I suck arithmetic horribly.
I think you can by the way. I think kids can be introduced to formal logic concepts at an early age and we can build on these things until they're doing actual proofs in high school.
>>
>>65957735
I never appreciated math until I started taking physics classes to be honest.
>>
>>65957724
>graduated 4.0 and greatest cum load with a piss easy humanities degree
What degree/school?
>>
>>65957700
Like what
>>
>>65957698
Get on Khan Academy and see what interests you. If you are genuinely interested or find you have a natural aptitude for it then look up what options you have to get formal qualifications. I can absolutely assure you that if you have a true desire you will be capable of doing it, and if it just clicks for you you can do it too, but if you don't have either of these you will struggle a lot.
>>
>>65957759
Already going to school for comp sci.. but mathematics does interest me so I'll definitely give it a look in my spare time.
>>
File: 1458083506508.jpg (68 KB, 633x758)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>65957724
>christ what the fuck are you people doing
falling for the stem meme. barely got over a 2.6 my first two semesters doing org chem. parents think im retarded but this program is legit impossible
>>
>>65957755
only do business at some public places with wifi, that's what all the haxors do
Also use tails live image for extra l33t points
>>
>>65957807
b8
>>
>>65957830
explain why it's bait
>>
Cal 1 was a joke but cal 2 is the real brainlet filter

Good thing I passed both now I don't have to deal with that shit anymore
>>
>>65957772
Are you simply curious or do you also envision a practical use for such knowledge?
>>
>>65957581
>I heard he took an honors calculus course which went over the proofs
>must have a big dick
>>
File: 1522416687497.png (3.1 MB, 776x5164)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB PNG
>>65957092
>>
File: images (1).png (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>65957033
>Calculus is a meme
uhhhh
Computer Science degree and its curriculum is the real meme
uhhhhh
numerical differentiation is scientific computing
uhhhhh
not my fault you didn't choose something meaningful like EE or AMath or Physics
uhhhh
enjoy your degree catered to dilettantes who cant fathom BCS theory applied to superconductivity
uhhhhh
bet you dont know all the implications when staring at Maxwell equations
uhhhhh
how ironic
>>
>>65956778
uhh, what is this ?
yes i realize it's a drug i am asking what kind
>>
>>65958244
pepto bismol
>>
>>65957790
>organic chemistry
top lel, why the fuck would anyone ever major in that? Masochism?
>>
File: that feel when bam.jpg (44 KB, 633x758)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Still don't know how to pass this data analysis / advanced statistics class and already failed it once.
>>
>>65956748
You shouldn't have a college degree if you can't pass Calc I and Calc II
>>
>>65958292
I'm studying for my MSc in Data Analytics right now, what are you struggling with bro?
>>
>>65957724
>graduated 2.8 in CS
>get a six figure job out of college
>make more money than the rest of my family combined at 20

8========D
>>
>>65956748
Wait, calculus is hard?
>>
>>65957567
This, I do believe though unis should have an option to do a standard calculus stream or a much harder algebra stream.
>>
>>65956776
/Thread

It's actually incredibly cool. As long as your prof. Is passionate about the subject and knows his history, calculus is one of the coolest classes you can take
>>
>>65958490
For most people, yes. For a small minority of people mathematics click quickly and it's considered 'easy', for the vast majority of people mathematics is 'hard' and does not click quickly. Most people are capable of understanding calculus but most people are not capable of understanding it quickly. Western schooling is fucking shit so we learn that if we can't do something quickly then we can't do it at all, and the myth that mathematics is 'hard' is perpetuated.
>>
File: brain damage.png (123 KB, 612x563)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>65958169
>Going over proofs someone else did is the same thing as actually formulating your own in the attempt to prove something
>>
>>65957099
You really don’t need it, I was eating 200mg of vyvanse a day (tolerance due to former meth use) and my grades actually got better once i didn’t use it at all. Of course, everybody’s different, but I think it really is all about your mindset
>>
>>65958490
Calculus isn't but the algebra and trig parts are
>>
>>65956748
If you can't do calculus, then you can't program. Its fucking easy. Did advanced calc in highschool and got credits for it in university. You fucking brainlets.
>>
File: 1526119003253.png (114 KB, 336x336)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>65957099
I took Adderall maybe 2 times? Fuck putting your body through that shit to get good grades. I was able to pass most of the stuff without help. Seems to me that you're just a brainlet.

Yeah my GPA is shit but my GitHub isn't. I just got an interview at a high powered company through connections. It isn't about morals, it's about not being a retard.
>>
>>65957322
You have to buy aphetamine sulphate paste/powder on the street and hope you can dose it properly
>>
>>65957511
>start doing proofs
I didn't get why people on the imageboards had trouble with proofs until I understood that, in my country, the Geometry course in middle and high school was a thinly-veiled proof course. Making hypotheses, proof by contradiction, necessity/sufficiency, induction, finding counterexamples, logical inference etc etc were basic parts of theorems we proved there. Don't you have something like that in your schools?
>>
Is calculus really all it takes to be considered smart enough to become a decent programmer?

I mean not to say it's the easiest thing ever, but it was nothing compared to my upper division courses for my non-computer related degree.
>>
>>65960231
It's a meme from those who couldn't do it (or they come from shitty unis where that was the hardest course)
>>
>>65956748
its necessary but if you cant do it/dont understand it then you shouldnt program either
>>
I passed 1st year calculus in my last year of my degree.
>>
>>65957860
>calc 2 is the brainlet filter
>pretty much like calc 1, but with whooping 2 (two!!) variables (sometimes 3)
okay
>>
Calc II was the only Hard one because you're learning so much new stuff. Diff eq, calc 3 and linear algebra were all literally ezpz
>>
>>65957322
Depends on the country. In some you require a psychatric diagnosis (which can be expensive unless you can jew the system into paying for it).

>>65960108
Don't do that. Junkies take way higher doses of stuff with variable purity. Also meth is more addictive.

>>65956799
Not that anon, but it will. It's not that different from studying on coffee, lots and lots of coffee.

>>65958244
Adderall is a brand name mixture of amphetamine salts which are a really strong as fuck stimulant. It's useful for treating ADHD because it forces you to focus on shit purely out of how much it throws your body into overdrive (think of how a methhead will spend all day meticulously cleaning every corner of their house).

ADHD is a symptomatic disorder. In layman's terms that means that there are a list of symptoms and if an individual has enough of them (and they're bad enough, etc..) then they can be diagnosed as having it. ADHD people seem to roughly fall into two categories, the inattentive ones (previously called ADD) and the hyperactive ones. A psychiatric diagnosis will involve IQ tests and shit to rule out learning disabilities and other stuff.

A person with an inattentive presentation of ADD will do shit like:
>Space out a lot without realizing they're doing it. This can happen during conversations with people, university lectures, etc.. and can really fuck with their lives.
>Have lots of unfinished tasks and hobbies
>Be disorganized, piles are common
>Have periods of extreme focus where they'll get sucked into their work and lose track of time and do shit like miss meals
>Be late to everything
>Aggressive driving (speeding tickets are common)

The hyperactive presentation may lack some of the innattentive features but include shit like:
>fidgeting
>being disruptive
>etc...
>>
>>65957581
They are more involved for sure but I don't have a trash work ethic so that's not an issue for me. My weak point is making stupid minor arithmetic/trig/algebra errors and not being fast at doing all that accurately which royally fucks you over in a calculus class.
>>
>>65960061
>Fuck putting your body through that shit to get good grades.
It's not really that bad unless you've got a heart condition. In my experience I felt a lot worse when I was drinking energy drinks and coffee before I got my prescription. It might interest you to know that prescriptions for this stuff vary in dosage by a lot and you could do a lower dosage that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable.

>Yeah my GPA is shit but my GitHub isn't. I just got an interview at a high powered company through connections.
Good job anon. I hope things go well. Having a good looking GitHub is a huge plus, I wish I'd used it more consistently in my undergrad.

>>65959714
I use dexadrine, but not every day (depending on what I need to do that day). I've found that there's certain types of thinking that it is more conductive for and certain types where it's not so much.

I finished a pure math BSc without it but I'm sure I would've done much better with it (not that I did poorly, but still). Currently about to finish a comp sci BSc (it's a double degree program) and I'm not sure it's as helpful in the project courses as it is in the theoretical ones.

>>65957227
Amphetamine may not be the best solution or rhythm for everyone. Personally I can't do what you're suggesting because pot gives me panic attacks but if it works for you that's great!

>>65957099
>>65957051
Both of you are terrible people.

Amphetamine is a tool. Using it is not cheating and it is not something you should use without careful consideration.
>>
>>65956748
Litteral high school students can do this shit
If you're too stupid for calculus then you should fuck off from anything STEM related
>>
Accounting and Finance major here. I had to take calculus as a part of my degree, so I would have expected it to be a part of any CS degree.

>>65957308
>The math I use the most is statistics
This is absolutely, 100% true for me. Aside from typical arithmetic, almost all the math I use is stats. Really wish they had given us more exposure or featured it more heavily when I was in school.

There are a few people in the business world who think that calculus is some sort of panacea that allows them to find the "ideal price" to charge consumers. But the problem is that calculus is just part of a model that has so many assumptions built into it that the end price it spits out is just a guess, so you may as well just operate on a cost-plus pricing model (figure out your costs, figure out your required rate of return, set a price). Statistics is actually a lot more important in most cases since it can allow you to pick out concrete trends or problems in production.
>>
>>65961077
Nhb it is, just because calc I is so much easier comparatively. Its a brainlet filter not cause its hard compared to what comes after, but its the first "harder" class that brainlets may find themselves in.
Half the people in my calc II class dropped/withdrew, which didnt happen in any classes beyond that. Note that there were also less people at all in classes beyond that (both less in each class and less instances of each class offered each semester. )
>>
File: 1443844559234.gif (463 KB, 300x188)
463 KB
463 KB GIF
>>65956748
Yeah thanks to this shit I almost dropped out from high school. Abstract bullshit like that isn't my jam.
>>
>>65957192
>implying calc 3 is hard
>>
File: 075.jpg (51 KB, 1024x576)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>65956881
>Can't set two values equal to each other and simplify

You may need to optimize your brain there boyo. Quality of study not quantity. Take breaks.

T. Class of '12 cheme
>>
>>65961653
/thread
>>
>>65958244
It says adderall right on it buddy
>>
>>65956778
>taking meth in order to get a slightly higher grade in a class that doesn't really apply to your field

Really sets a bad precedent for yourself. You gonna be taking meth just to get your boss slightly higher returns on his investment in you?
>>
>>65957292
Some people get more cerebral and can think differently (I. E. Not better or worse) when a little high. I never noticed an effect on motivation other than the additional motivation to go toke periodically. Study high, test high, get high scores my bruv
>>
All you had to do was follow formulas, what's so hard about that
>>
File: 1515417185984.gif (1.89 MB, 200x200)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB GIF
>>65962143
Nah you're gonna take d-amph salts to land better jobs and get paid more, fool.

Also your "only one methyl group difference between meth and Adderall" argument is retarded. Do you think ethanol and water are the same chemical? Reductionism only works so well when you're arguing with people who take stimulants on a Kuwaiti bread-baking newsgroup.
>>
>>65962248
I don't even take caffeine for my job. Fuck overclocking my body, I ain't gonna cut years off my lifespan just to make someone else a few more dollars.
>>
>>65961653
>>65956776
Calculus isn't hard and if you're going for a degree in something you should at least be able to understand a little bit of applied logic. It's a brainlet filter.

I'm in a field that's regulated by the government here. You're required to take courses to get your licence. Up until just a few years ago one of the required courses was anatomy, but people argued it wasn't really required in our job (it isn't) so they took it out as a requirement. The passing rate of our examinations went from 40% to 98%. We went from 50 new licences a year to 125 new licences a year.

We have trouble now finding new licenced workers that are actually competent. The anatomy course, which isn't actually required to do our job, was what was keeping out the common rabble.
>>
>>65956778
Enjoy your brain damage.
>>
>>65956748
>never learned because too lazy
>passed anyway
C++ class was much harder if not the hardest. Unironically tried to learn the language from Bjarne Stroustrup's book.
>>
>>65960034
Can confirm
t. brainlet who can't even code
>>
>>65962286
coffee is actually pretty healthy for you if not drunk in excess
>>
>>65958244
fanta semen
>>
>>65962435
Coffee is my tap water.
>>
>>65958244
Brainlet vitamin
>>
>>65956748
tfw am brainlet who cant even understand the basics
>>
>>65962352
>Unironically tried to learn the language from Bjarne Stroustrup's book.
>tfw doing this right now

What's so hard about this?
>>
File: 1440713749118.jpg (19 KB, 300x198)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Calc in itself is fairly easy, but some colleges like mine make calc waaay more difficult than it needs to be by ignoring the all the flaws in the course to allow a high fail rate and thus make it a weedout course to make the CS major less flooded, which is good except now everyone has to deal with bullshit Calc to get into CS. It is absolutely essential to learn it to understand Probability and thus Algorithm Complexity.
>>
>>65957275
>spend all day doing an 8x8 gaussian elimination on paper
>1 hour in i write down the wrong number without realising
>whole day wasted
Its fun and interesting but too time consuming desu
>>
File: 1516134567242.png (24 KB, 366x380)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>65957724
>paying ANY tuition for masters to begin with
>>
>>65956748
Cool, I had that in high school and it was pretty fun
>>
>>65957807
This is backwards. Tails obfuscate IP and MAC address, and if you launch it with bridges your ISP can't even tell that you're browsing Tor. Literally all you need is Tails on a boot able USB. Public wifi is redundant here while Tails is necessary rather than "bonus points"
>>
>>65956748
Bitch, I already passed you, fuck you real analysis is better than you too faggot.
>>
>calculus is hard
is this a meme or what? I hear people fail this 3 or 4 times.
>>
>>65956853
Discrete Math is the hardest
>>
>>65957790
people who have a sub 3.0 gpa in stem have an IQ in the double digits, how does it feel to be a nigger?
>>
>>65961641
>Currently about to finish a comp sci BSc (it's a double degree program) and I'm not sure it's as helpful in the project courses as it is in the theoretical ones.

Definitely. It really helps with learning, rather than projects. It seems that methamphetamines help a lot with high congitive demanding jobs such as algorithm design, but not medium cognitive demanding jobs such as brick-laying programming.
>>
>>65963846
If you can't do discrete math you are actually retarded, the first part of that class is basic logic.
>>
File: eyyy.jpg (16 KB, 266x211)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>65963846
No. Analysis of algorithms is the retard filter, and any project based class is the lazy NEET filter.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (28 KB, 483x493)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>65956748
>actually thinking calculus is hard
>>
>>65956748
>mfw Pre-calc class was an hour and a half class of a pajeeta going too fast
>mfw failed it

Whelp, better luck next semester. I actually like math I just trip up on a good amount of trig stuff.
>>
>>65962286
Lol, implying you never ever eat out, or do anything physically harmful that you pay for. You're not doing a good job rationalizing your obvious tendency to avoid working hard. I think it's called good goy syndrome.
>>
>>65962248
>Also your "only one methyl group difference between meth and Adderall" argument is retarded. Do you think ethanol and water are the same chemical? Reductionism only works so well when you're arguing with people who take stimulants on a Kuwaiti bread-baking newsgroup.
hang yourself fuckwit
>>
>>65964144
Sorry I should have said Methanol. Oh wait, that's even more toxic and proves my point more? Whoops.

Sounds like someone needs a cool glass of H2O2, seeing as it's basically water. Look up the neurotoxicity if your average Adderall dose and compare to your average meth dose. They're not even close.
>>
>>65964098
When I eat out it's for my enjoyment. When I do drugs it's for for my enjoyment. Taking drugs to work harder when you get paid hourly is a terrible idea.
>>
>calculus isn't hard dude just take some drugs and you'll be fine
>>
File: 1517197199958.jpg (76 KB, 724x620)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>65964088
>failing pre-calculus
and I thought I was a brainlet for failing calc
>>
All colleges should make real analysis a requirement for all CS degrees, all the brainlets will be weeded out overnight.
>>
>>65962760
First language.
>>
File: 1514034016506.png (449 KB, 600x595)
449 KB
449 KB PNG
>Took the math class online
>Used online calculators for the questions
>passed with a 90%
Even better
>Took even harder math class in person
>Cut out hole in shoe, put smartphone in hole, used gold screen to prevent other people from seeing it, put a piece of gold on the other shoe to make it look normal
>Sat in the corner so no one can see it
>Cut out small Bluetooth calculator and put the shell of a large simple calculator around it.
>passed easy.
I feel like I was born for this kind of thing.

Also side note, teachers banned most calculators and let us only use the shitty levels ones, the ones that don't graph or even have a -sin,functions.
>>
>>65965204
>Doesn't know unit triangles
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>65964397
C'mon man I'm trying my best. I suck at any mathematics that's not applied.
>>
File: 44267353456.png (348 KB, 550x431)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>>65965239
Is the baby mad he has to learn all that math he will never use?
>>
>>65965294
>Will never use
Sorry, I'm not a CS babby.
>>
>>65962114
>quality of study not quality of quantity
>he's one of those nigger snowflakes who need time and breaks and long-run faglords
not even a druggie but you're a beta who needs to optimize his capacity.
Enjoy breaking down and melting when real shit hits you.
>>
>>65965204
If your calculator can help you on a math test then you're in an easy math class.
>>
File: graph.png (24 KB, 640x640)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>65965320
>not inventing formulas while you do the test
>>
>>65965320
online calculators cover a WIDE field of mathematics.
>>
>>65965394
Can they prove that continuous functions are those whose inverses take open sets to open sets?
>>
>>65957033
if you never used maffs at work, you're a codemonkey devoid of responsibility and personal agency
>>
>>65957047
>logic isn't math
/g/ isn't your LARP convention
>you don't need calc to program
You don't need hands to program, but they're pretty handy to have.
>>
>>65965394
No amount of plugging stuff into Wolfram Alpha will help you if you don't understand how to set up line integrals and surface integrals or apply Greene's Theorem, etc. Also calculators aren't great at finding analytic solutions to most things, which is what the professor will be looking for.
>>
>>65956748
>being this much of a brainlet
you probably should've picked humanities or woman studies or something.
>>
>>65956748
What? Calc 1 and 2 were pretty easy. A pretty typical amount of studying was all that I needed to get the A in both.
>>
>>65958732
>For a small minority of people mathematics click quickly and it's considered 'easy'
Thank you God for giving me a winning number at the lottery. Feels pretty good to ride life in easy mode.
>>
>>65963995
Not that anon, but I guess that depends on what's in your course. I had a 2 semester discrete math, and graph colourings almost fucked me on the exam (had to prove Polya's theorem from the first principles because I was a lazy fuck and didn't rehearse it).
>>
File: 17f.jpg (56 KB, 633x758)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Imagine if you WEREN'T retarded and DIDN'T need mind-altering substances in order to succeed in elementary subjects. Crazy stuff, huh?
>>
>>65965204
This calculator stuff, explain it to me.
>>
>>65956748
look, it depends on where you go
better the school, the harder the classes now can we drop this
>>
>>65956778
literally just alters your brain chemistry to say "ya youre doing good!!!" just get a work ethic
>>
>>65957568
>Learned real math
>Doesn't know how it works
You didn't learn real math anon
>>
>>65957790
>barely got over a 2.6 my first two semesters
Jesus Christ, I just graduated with a 3.32 and I feel like a brainlet.
What the hell man, just do the fucking work, maybe you'd be better off working somewhere that sells apple pies.
>>
>>65956748
>>blocks your degree
>Just made it my bitch
meh
>>
>tfw started cc in the most remedial math class there was (number line tier shit)
>just finished calc 2 with an a
if I can do it then anyone can, as i'm an actual brainlet.
>>
ITT: Brainlets
>>
>>65956894
As far as I'm concerned, all engineering disciplines have at least Calculus 1, Algebra 1 and some even Intro into Physics (generally mechanical).
Even Software Engineering, if it doesn't you are in some meme "university".
Here even the technologist degree has some of that, even if simplified.
>>
>>65956748
discrete calculus its extremelly easy :\ fucking sums and multiplications.
>>
>>65966328
yes, actually there is almost nothing useful you could do without discrete math.
>>
>>65962240
There are no formulas to follow thats why it's hard. I can do plug n play math like stats (easy A) all day
>>
>university just removes calculus as a requirement
nothing personal kid

[spoiler]apparently my university actually did this[/spoiler]
>>
>>65966395
your program should lose accreditation desu. CS is fundamental a subfield of math, no matter how bastardized the curriculum becomes. If you can't pass basic calculus you don't deserve a degree.
>>
>>65966392
>there are no formulas
Yes there are. After doing 100 proofs you start to see the patterns emerging. And if it's not proofs you find harder than numerical analysis or stats, you're a goddamn brainlet.
The most difficult math in CS was either logic (seriously, fuck higher topoi) or homological algebra (this course had 80% mortality on my uni).
>>
>>65956853
>>65963846
holy fucking brainlets, man. you are the reason javascript and electron exist
>>
>>65956778
scare of that tßh, afraid that if i take it i will only be able to work on it
>>
>>65966480
Where did you go to school anon? I guarantee no one in the CS program at my school will ever do any category-theoretic shit.
>>
>>65966395
>>65966468
It's an attempt to get more minorities in cs because there is no way they can do calculus.
>>
>>65966392
calc is literally plug and chug
>>
File: 1526348411402.jpg (115 KB, 1200x1163)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>65966577
asians are good at maffs
>>
non college grad here
i fix electronics and make $45k/yr
just sayin
>>
>>65966592
I meant niggers
>>
>>65966608
That sucks. Why don't you go to school?
>>
>>65966608
I want to be you, seriously.
>>
>>65966608
t. Louis Rossmann
>>
>>65956778
Aren't these just happiness-boosters?
Anyone has legit experience with them? Do they really make you do good work or do they just make you feel good about how you're doing no matter how shit you actually are?
>>
I don't really know what calculus is I think it isn't considered important in my country. I wish I was better with matrices and graph theory though, these are things I really need at my business programming job and I don't really know what I'm doing. Just survive with a little goggling and wikipedo here and there.
>>
Any business or finance minors here? Got a B+ in accounting and feel entitled to bragging rights for some reason
>>
File: 1524799176973.png (165 KB, 342x342)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>65966666
nice
>>
>>65966480
>Homological algebra
Average computer science student don’t know definition group.
>>
>>65956748
Nah I'll just be a data analyst and bang together shitty python scripts

Checkmate, brain
>>
>>65966666
>almost all 6's
>almost a 69
edgy
>>
>>65966659
It's speed, it really gets shit done, but you fucking burn trough your life faster. Cocaine is the one, that just makes you feel as if you got shit done, but you didn't. This is the difference between dopamine and adrenaline stimulants.
>>
File: 1521182972484.png (174 KB, 428x359)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>65966666
nice digits 3rdworldbro
but check this 5 though
>>
>>65956748
>calculus
Why? I thought /g/ only programmed webpage backends.
>>
>>65966748
What do you mean burning through your life faster? Does it make you instaold? Is the crash bad? Not quite sure what you meant by that,
>>
File: 1524468391000.jpg (37 KB, 800x450)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>65956748
>ITT
>>
>>65966666
>I don't really know what calculus is I think it isn't considered important in my country
Do you live in Bangladesh? I live in a steaming shithole myself and I can't think of any country that thinks this way.
>>
>>65965854
Get fucked nigger. He's fucking trying
>t. Graduated with a 2.9
>>
>>65966834
It's more or less a metaphor, I'm not sure how it really works. But I can tell you that amphetamines (meth) really fuck you up over time. I guess it has to do with higher heart rate (faster metabolism) and especially less sleep or sleeping problems in general. This is what makes real methheads paranoid and crazy. Just try out not sleeping for a week and see what happens.

So in a way you might get more done in a day, but it comes at a price.

But to me the real question is, how can it be that they can give this legally to kids and fucking why? And if you don't buy the brands they like on the streets they put you in jail, this is complete madness.

>>65966855
No I live in a Top10 country and it's first world (in the new and in the old sense). I wasn't really sure what calculus was, but I read the wiki article and I think we call it integral and differential calculation. No idea why you have this at uni level, we had this in high school and I don't remember a thing about it and never needed it again.
>>
>>65964088
Sounds like you need to spend more time on your own learning it. I remember my Pre-Calc class was in the mornings, so I didn't learn much from my actual lectures. The only reason I got past that class was because I spent more time outside of the lectures than in them learning the material. Actually read your textbook/khanacadamy before doing the homework.
>mfw Pre-calc class was an hour and a half class of a pajeeta going too fast
I hope you mentioned that issue about your teacher in the course evaluations at the end of the semester.
>>
>>65958207
noice, hopefully I can stick to this for longer than 1 day
>>
The Math isn't actually that hard, I passed with a C but I had to cram for everything
>>
>>65957114
>being educated
>beyond your intelligence

this is so beyond retarded its beyond your intelligence
>>
do you guys from english speaking countries maybe confuse calculus with mathematical analysis, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_analysis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus

I'm still not really sure what you mean by calculus.
>>
>>65957114
>being educated beyond your intelligence
Is this some dank new crypto-fascist /pol/ maymay?
>>
>>65967067
I'm English and my BSc is in Maths. All my lecturers called it calculus, nobody ever said mathematical analysis. I didn't even realise that there was a distinction.
>>
>>65956894
I already know youre a pretentious fuck with no friends. Hopefully in college youll finally hug a girl that isnt your mom or your grandmother
>>
>>65967067
"Calculus" as people are using it in this thread refers to calculating integrals and derivatives using a handful of formulas and rules. It's not mathematically rigorous. The way courses are generally structured, you'll take calculus in highschool or your first year at college. Analysis is offered as a higher level course, and will typically begin by rigorously proving the calculus concepts you learned before.

>>65967103
In modern language, "calculus" is knowing how to calculate things like integrals while analysis is the study of how and why they work.
>>
>>65967103
but it's the same? It's basically functions and shit, linear algebra and all that? I think the naming of math courses are kinda misleading in general. I was always surprised about what they really were about.
>>
>>65967067
"calculus" in college is short for "differential and integral calculus"
>>
>>65967150
>In modern language, "calculus" is knowing how to calculate things like integrals while analysis is the study of how and why they work.
In that case I guess there was a distinction of sorts. We referred to the practice of differentiation and integration as calculus, while the theoretical side was never specifically referred to as calculus itself.
>>
>>65956778
>tfw ADD
>take adderall
>go to sleep
>no fucks given
i'm jelly of you normalfags
>>
>>65967162
so it's basically just cos and sin stuff? So trigonometry and sound waves and what not? It's pretty confusing.
>>
>>65956748
>these are the brainlets who write your programs
is calculus really that hard? I doubt they even go into hard calculus anyway for CS degrees
>>
Am I supposed to remember Calculus? I've finished Calc 2, but I don't think I could pass the first exam in a calc 1 class anymore. Is that normal?
>>
>>65967154
I found that during my degree too. I've never even heard it called 'mathematical analysis', all of my classes had funky names like 'mathematical methods', 'linear algebra', and 'computational methods in ordinary differential equations'. I had no fucking clue what I was in for before any of them and the unit outlines weren't much help either.
>>
>>65967185
No, it's things like
>calculate the integral of tan^2(x) from 0 to 2
>find the maximum of ln(2x)/sqrt(x^2 - 3) in [-1, 1]
>>
>>65967185
are you being ironically daft?
limits, slope, area under function, lambda calculus, line integrals, surface integrals, infinite series, all part of calculus. In my uni differential equation is also under calculus (III), some others label it as a separate discipline.
>>
>>65967220
I completed my BSc Mathematics about 2 years ago and I forgot most of that shit already too. I used it every day for over 4 years but it's pretty much gone. I remember that basics, dx/dy = ax^(a-1), but that's about it. I could probably relearn everything I did know in about a day I'm quite sure.
>>
>>65967226
Also practical applications of differentiation and integration such as related rates problems and optimization.

Honestly, beginning calc is just grinding out a fuckton of plug-and-chug solving methods and memorizing some key relationships and identities (ie trig derivatives and differentiation rules)
>>
>>65967185
no, that's physics
>>
>>65957033
Try being a computer science PhD. Nothing BUT Calc, DiffyQ, LinAlg, and Statistics.
>>
>>65967226
>>65967244
ok in that case I have really never seen this. I would have no clue what to do with those questions and I have a BSc in CS.
Does it have anything to do with CS at all?
>>
>>65967103
>british education
>>
>>65967302
>never heard of calculus
>have a BSc in CS

where do you live?
>>
>>65967346
Switzerland
>>
>>65967302
CS is more a discrete field, so I guess not really? Still strange though, calculus at that level is one of those things pretty much everyone in STEM should know, it's like not being able to solve an algebraic equation.
>>
File: integral.png (28 KB, 768x460)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>65967302
You're telling me you got all the way through college and never saw a single one of these?
>>
>>65967413
Let's go at it from the other perspective, what fields are there where you can't be fully competent without understanding calculus? I can't think of one. Even something like biology or psychology can be tangentially related to statistics which necessitates calculus.
>>
>>65967452
That meant to say CAN be fully competent, not can't be fully competent.
>>
>>65958681
Unfortunately my prof. couldn't speak proper english and just cracked really really bad jokes the entire way through. Hopefully I scraped a pass in the exam last week.
>>
>>65967452
Most people don't understand statistics though, they just know how to use it. If you asked them for example how the values of the normal table were calculated they probably couldn't tell you.
>>
>>65967452
>>65967464
>what fields are there where you can be fully competent without understanding calculus
There's lots where you can get by without it but calculus is so integral (hurr) to analyzing real world processes that I bet you could even find applications for it in History/Humanities and really "soft" bio majors like Wildlife and Botany
>>
>>65967413
Not really or not at all? This really sounds like it wouldn't even help with theoretical CS and lets be real, nobody really does theoretical CS outside of unis.
In my BSc outside of programming, algorithms and stochastic we more or less worked through the book "Finite Mathematics". You can check table of contents here, if you are interested:
http://www.mypearsonstore.com/bookstore/finite-mathematics-0321979435

>>65967449
nope never seen it and I don't think I could forget about it, because I really never even saw some of those symbols.
>>
>>65967413
Maybe some schools are cutting down on who's required to take Calc since it's often times just used as a weedout class or a rite of passage/academic hazing rather than for its educational value.
>>
File: Hotto doggu.jpg (35 KB, 689x687)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>65967449
Try this one.
It's cheating if you use a calculator.
>>
>>65956748
>blocks
how incompetent are you
Calc is easy as hell
>>
>>65962072
It is when you've got a pain in the ass professor who barely speaks english.
>>
File: 1517029877459.gif (1.05 MB, 300x450)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB GIF
>>65956748
Calculus is not hard kys
>>
>>65967534
That's fine for CS desu, but it should be replaced with some kind of discrete math. Unless you're doing "programming" or "software engineering" or something, in which case don't bother with math at all since you're basically in a trade program.
>>
>>65967452
I don't know really know what engineers are or what they do, but I believe they use calculus on the job
>>
>>65967538
5pi/2
>>
>>65967538
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1681341/integration-question-sinx-x
>>
>>65967612
They need to understand how calculus works but most of them aren't doing integrals by hand when Mathematica exists or their firm has books of integrals that are already worked out for reference.
>>
>>65967677
The same goes for pretty much every field that requires calculus knowledge, this is what the whiny CS cunts don't get. You don't actually need to use calculus on a daily basis in order to do your job, but you need to be capable of understanding it to do your job.
>>
>>65967612
Yeah, calculus was invented because algebra wasn't sufficient to describe the physical characteristics of our universe. Physics, astronomy, all engineering uses calculus. Advanced financial analysis uses calculus. Even biology, which that anon wrongly assumed doesn't use calculus uses calculus.
>>
>>65967012
Yeah I did, but I'll definitely take blame for not studying enough in my own time. I get depressed and apathetic halfway through a semester and it shows.
>>
>>65956748
Go for an AAS in programming, don't have to take it
>>
>>65967604
I agree about replacing it with a more rigorous discrete math or algorithms course.

At my uni, they always assign the shittiest profs to those two courses while the ones that teach calculus are some of the best in the school.

This meant I unironically got gud at calculus when I was in remedial math all through high school but I had to teach myself essential CS math concepts such as proof by induction and time complexity/recurrence relations.
>>
>>65956778
how 2 get this in college?
>>
>>65966624
I am going to soon. I mostly don't like the bureaucratic BS that is required to get into school. So far I have gotten approved for FAFSA and applied to the college. Now I have to take a placement test next to see if I am good enough at math to take a fucking Python class
>>
>>65966638
I think he makes more than that. But I actually work for the OEM (not Apple)
>>
>>65965204
>taking all this effort to cheat
I'm pretty sure studying is easier anon. Tactics and countertactics methods are generally harder and more tedious than just doing the job legitimately.
>>
I have 95 IQ and calculus was a breeze.
>>
>>65967738
I have an AAS, it's worthless bruh.
>>
File: Psa2wkU.gif (491 KB, 318x277)
491 KB
491 KB GIF
>>65961430
>tfw I'm textbook ADD
>>
>>65968144
did you take calc 2?
>>
>>65966666
sasuga brainlet-sama
>>
Theoretical Physicist here. I really do feel bad for you CS plebs with no understanding of basics maths - the calculus you guys cover is nothing. Even vector calculus (real calculus that you don't have to worry about) is pretty easy. Try some Analysis some time if you think calculus is hard - it's the basis for calculus.

What's great is that as a Physicist you get taught real maths while at the same time how to program. I can literally walk into any job you apply for more qualified than you, while also having a wider selection of jobs to chose from.
>>
>>65967413
>CS is more a discrete field, so I guess not really

Discrete problems are solve by making them continuous in every STEM field. Sadly, CSers are too stupid for the big boy toys required.
>>
Only brainlets do bad in Calc. I don't know how it's always bitching about Calc in these threads and never physics. Aced both but physics was a lot more demanding, probably because I had no prior experience doing it.
>>
File: physics.png (592 KB, 653x1199)
592 KB
592 KB PNG
>>65968435
>Avoid learn any real world job in Graduate school because muh I will be next Einstein, fail and only get shitty jobs.
>>
>>65968775
yea anon but I actually will be the next Einstein
>>
>>65956778
I’m addicted, other anons be warned
I think had a dopemine deficiency. I can’t even focus on homework with it so it’s kind of useless for me. It just made me focus on things other than hating myself. Now I get weird when I run low around refill time and the pharmacies are out.
Like, uncharacteristically upset and bent out of shape
Is there any hope for me?
>>
>>65957322
The internet

>or microdosing meth
>>
>>65964088
i learned pre calculus first year high school

got a b

second year

calc

third year

calc ab

fourth year

calc bc

Now i start college in calculus because college wants to steal my moneys

so please kill me i wasted 3 years of high school for nothing lol
>>
>>65956778
I hate that shit, it fucks me up big time and I get severely dehydrated, even while drinking high amounts of water. Lots of diarrhea too.

>>65956776
Is the meme "pre-cal is harder than Calculus" true? I had a hard time with pre-cal in college.
>>
>>65966638
LOL
>>
>>65966624
m o n e y
>>
>>65968981
Almost every student fail calculus is because had shitty pre-calculus base, usually fail a lot in basic algebra.
>>
>>65956894
You are really in for something, friend.
>>
>>65968981
The underlying concepts of calculus (at the undergrad non-mathfag level) are pretty intuitive. But to actually do the more complex derivatives, integrals, and limits, you need to have a good feel for algebra and trigonometry.
>>
>>65956748
You need at least basic calc to understand what's going on in the algorithms you'll be using. And if you can't master that simple thinking skill, consider a business or marketing major.
>>
>>65969032
>>65969052
I'll need to try Pre-Cal again, I did fail it but that was partially due to fucking up like the autist I was for a business speaking class I took as an elective, and ended up skipping a good amount of the Pre-Cal classes since they were so close to each other.
So Cal and Logic are needed for programming well right?
>>
>>65969085
Use this as math basics
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/math-1-2-3

And this as Calculus Book
>>65957054
Average programmer don't calculus, but modern AI technics use calculus vectorial and Linear algebra.

This is course Math for computer science of carnegie mellon

http://www.math.cmu.edu/~jmackey/151_128/infdes.pdf
>>
>>65969226
Alright, thank you anon.
>>
>>65968969
You'll be fine. Just remember that it's just college. There is an easy minimum standard, or the overachieving high standard. Both get similar results in the workforce provided you're not the kind to forget absolutely everything after the final exam. None of the extra suffering in college matters in the workforce after a few years in, so do what it takes to get that diploma without overburdening yourself.
>>
>>65967220
>>65967253
What's the point of a degree/education if it withers away in no time? Most jobs don't require it, but neither can you get most jobs without a piece of paper.
>>
>>65967220
If you truly know the material, there's not much to memorize
>>
>>65963846
Discrete Math is literally an exercise in logic, mate. If you can't do that, then you're fucked.
Sure, there are a lot symbols to remember but if you rehearse it the first week you learn them then you won't forget.
>>
>>65969350
In theory, getting a STEM degree from a top school proves you're not a brainlet and can combine critical thinking and diligence to solve difficult problems. In practice, this isn't always true, but as others have mentioned in this thread, forcing people to take tough "weed-out" classes like general Chem and Calculus will sort out a lot of incompetent people, and is probably beneficial to a lot of fields even if they don't use the practical knowledge learned in those classes.
>>
>>65964088
Just gotta git confident, watch some 3blue1brown videos.
>>
>>65956894
CS degrees are just softwrae engineering degrees with a fancier name nowadays. Look at any courses on popular universities and you'll see there is not really any difference.
>>
>>65969380

Discrete is much more conceptual and a lot of it requires you to come up with your own method for coming to the answer based on a few known properties and given information. People used to just applying a single set of "hurr durr plug-n-chug algorithm muh differentiation rules" steps to solve a certain type of problem the way you do in algebra/trig/calculus often have trouble going from robotically doing that to actually having to think critically about figuring out how to solve many types of discrete math problems.
>>
brainlets itt
>>
File: 5544g2.png (271 KB, 600x579)
271 KB
271 KB PNG
why is math so comfy bros? i might be a polymath
>>
>>65956748
Is this bait?
I just got an A+ in calc 2 and it's merely the start of my degree. How can this basic of math deter a CS major, how can you not understand this super easy shit and be a competent programmer?
Not a CS major btw
>>
File: wudder.jpg (115 KB, 960x540)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>65969508
How do you get on 4chan in the supermax, Ted?
>>
>>65956853
No, basic calculus is literally three concepts and some trig.
If you have an okay memory and don't struggle in algebra (or with trig) then you should be fine.
>>
>>65956748
I think I'm going to get a C in this so I don't think it will block my degree. Unless I fall the final like a brainlet.
>>65969525
How can you not understand super easy shit like programming and be competent at calculus?
>>
>>65969738
>How can you not understand super easy shit like programming and be competent at calculus?
Where did he say programming was hard? For all you know he's doing Physics or Applied Math or EE which are way harder than most CS programs.
>>
>>65956894
>I'm such a wise teenager

Shut the fuck up kid
>>
>>65956748
t. brainlet who failed calc 101
>>
>>65969738
Thats funny, I've never struggled in any comp sci related courses. I've even taken basic programming. I could have probably majored in CS but I don't feel like I would have cared enough about it. Honestly I think Calculus 1 is like the math equivilant of taking an intro programming course. Like many people here have said, people in HS learn this stuff.
>>
>>65958207
I can't find Algebraic topology – homology and homotopy by Switzer anywhere, would you happen to know where to grab a digital copy?
>>
>>65956748
You don't need it to be a programmer, you just need it to be a decent one.
>>
>>65969861
Libgen has it.
>>
>>65958207
>automatically assumed
More like "automathically'
>>
>>65969833
>I've never struggled in any comp sci related courses. I've even taken basic programming
basic programming is the easiest cs course (it's really not even a cs course. Sounds more like a class at your local library). Why do you say it like it's one of the hardest?

>Like many people here have said, people in HS learn this stuff.
College calc is harder than high school calc
>>
>>65967723
>I get depressed and apathetic halfway through a semester and it shows.
Yeah, that's definitely happened to me before. I experienced that during Calc 3, but was still barely able to scrape by with an A. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>65970147
Maybe because you interpreted it that way?
I mean I said it was "basic".
I'm just saying that I could probably pursue that if i wanted. I'm not trying to be an asshole. I guess I sound like one.
>>
File: 1523313256746.jpg (102 KB, 1280x960)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>65970170
>Calc 3
if i was a teacher teaching 3rd quarter calculus, my grading weighting would be
>100% Final exam
and the only question on the exam would be
>what you know about Taylor series?
>>
>>65970092
Fair enough, I didn't even bother to check because I'd assumed someone on bibliotik had likely ripped all of libgen on this subject. Oh well.

I gathered and semi organized the entire chart in this split archive (750MB~):
https://a.doko.moe/yvtylv.z01
https://a.doko.moe/clfdoa.zip
>>
>>65956881
>>65963846
Jesus Christ you guys must be potatoes. CE/CS double here, try doing two years of straight eng math. I have seen into the abyss.
>>
>>65970429
>engineering math
laughingpuremathwhores.jpg
>>
Didn't want to make my own thread but I just graduated and I'm going to a community College that offers classes for some certs. My college is paid for and I want to go into IT because I don't like programming I've heard IT degrees are meme tier but I'm not good at anything else that has a job market. Help!
>>
>>65970439
> implying anything outside of real world applications is useful

I Shiggy Diggy
>>
>>65970147
>College calc is harder than high school calc
This. I always hate hearing this meme about "calc is ezpz i took it in highschiool lul". College-level calc is almost always way more in-depth and even though the concepts aren't too difficult, the algebra and trig you use to solve the problems tends to be much more complicated and difficult.
>>
>>65962114
>You may need to optimize your brain there boyo. Quality of study not quantity. Take breaks.
YUU RACK DISCIPRINE
>>
>>65963595
yea but you can't trust Tor, that's why you go to public
>>
>>65968263
everybody is

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.