[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: wdg.png (868 KB, 822x552)
868 KB
868 KB PNG
Prev threads (wtf):
>> 65933696
>> 65925151

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
https://www.freecodecamp.com
https://www.codecademy.com
https://hackr.io

>Further resources
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
https://youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 [Embed] - Web Development in 2018

https://jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
>>
Planning to learn this stuff more seriously but just wanted to know:
Can you get by as a front end dev, or is it strongly reccomended to study full stack?
>>
File: trap.lover999@gmail.com.png (108 KB, 1333x899)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>65957788
So many jobs demand google accounts now, I need to make a professional one instead of trap.lover666@gmail.com
>>
>>65957839
>Can you get by as a front end dev, or is it strongly reccomended to study full stack?
They both exist but full stack devs can do both (plus back-end/API jobs) and front-end devs can only do front-end.
>>
I'm building the server backend for a chat-like service. Which database solution should I use to store users, messages, etc.?
I don't need any complex queries, I just want it to be pretty fast in terms of reading/writing and be reliable.

I've never really used SQL for anything production-scale, I'm kinda scared of it as a whole. So I started with Redis. Don't feel completely comfortable with my choice, but it's pretty simple so I like it in that regard.
>>
>>65958453
Are users/messages being stored a long period of time? Use a database like mysql/mongodb/postgres for that and not redis; redis is mostly for caching and 'forgettable' data in most cases.

Any of the databases I previously mentioned would be fine, although I think mongodb might be the easiest to grasp if you're new to stuff like this, and mongo would suit a node.js server (if that's what you're using). Redis would work as well, if your data doesn't need to be persistent, but I don't know how exactly your website wants to function, so I can't be more specific than that.

Also look into socket.io if you haven't already, it's perfect for chat services.
>>
>>65958621
>Are users/messages being stored a long period of time?
Yes, at least users are. I thought about only keeping recent/undelivered messages in redis and maybe moving the rest over to colder storage like MySQL or something, but that would be pretty complicated for what it's worth.
While redis can be pretty persistent, I realize it's not its strong suit.

Do you happen to know how does the speed of inserting data in Postgres/MongoDB compare to redis? I want message inserting to be pretty fast (a message is just a string and some number fields like src id, dst id, time, etc.).

Also, the backend is Golang and Websockets. Pretty comfy so far, much better than Python (with asyncio), which feels like a mess in comparison.
>>
I have a learning disability and would much rather work at my own pace than in a 'fast-paced' environment. Do webdev jobs exoist which generally take things nice and easy (i.e. not a team full of rockstar ninja developers working 12 hours a day with sprint meetings) or should I start my own business and market my skills even though I have no professional experience?
>>
>>65958791
>pretty complicated for what it's worth

I don't know if I agree with that: learning and using MySql and etc. is a very good idea for resumes, 'serious' websites, and for becoming a more fully-fledged developer.

>Yes, at least users are
Permanently storing user info like usernames and passwords inside redis probably isn't a good idea.

There's also the whole logistics side of when/how to put your redis data into MySQL, and when/how to retrieve that data from either or both databases.

>Do you happen to know how does the speed of inserting data in Postgres/MongoDB compare to redis

Redis is much faster, speed is what redis was built for. I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head though. Inserting data in either scenario wouldn't be too big of a deal though, the times will both be pretty fast for a low amount of inserts or retrievals.
>>
>>65958895
>I have a learning disability
what's that?

Maybe look for remote jobs?
>>
>>65958895
>not a team full of rockstar ninja developers working 12 hours a day with sprint meetings
There are lots of jobs like that. They're not very interesting jobs but they exist.

Nobody is going to be happy with an unproductive worker though, so if by 'nice and easy' you mean, no deadlines and deliver when you finish something, those jobs almost don't exist any more. Everyone has to quote estimated completion times and if you consistently quote three times longer than everyone else, you're not going to keep your job.
>>
>>65958948
Actually I just found out the better term is 'learning difficulty'. It arises in school when you don't process and understand information in the same way your peers do. Your brain is different so maybe you can't do arithmetic very well, or process words / sentences correctly, or keep your attention to one thing etc. So conditions like ADHD, dyslexia etc are learning difficulties.

I have developmental dyspraxia, which affects my processing of external events (e.g. being given information, instructions from others). I can work very well on my own, since it is just me and nobody else to influence the whole workflow. But working with others poses an issue since I process information more slowly than most people do and work at a slower pace.

Considering most webdev agencies want projects churned out as quickly as possible, I don't wish to work in those places and would much rather work solo, or at least at a slower pace. I'm asking whether it's advisable to start my own business in that case.
>>
>>65959011
I see. It isn't that I am unproductive. I honestly work very hard and am very passionate about web development. But I also work at a slow pace and always have. Accommodations were put in place at school and that was ok, but working as an adult is a totally different world now.
>>
>>65959053
I see.
Some places might give your employer incentive to hire you which could help but in the right environment, that might not necessarily be a problem. I'd try going for remote work first and foremost, you won't be under as much pressure and you can even record the video chats if you set yourself up right.

Emailed specs would help you too. Working slowly though, is going to create problems for you no matter what.

By school, do you mean university?
>>
>>65959075
Thanks for the advice. I didn't expect such sensibility from 4chan, lol. I'll try to locate remote work.

>By school, do you mean university?
All of school effectively since age 14-15. So in UK it was secondary school, vocational college and then university.
>>
>>65959138
I don't know your skillset but if you can do PHP then look into an outfit called Compucorp.
They don't pay especially well but I think they have fairly low standards and are a UK based software company that mainly does remote work.
>>
>>65958907
>There's also the whole logistics side of when/how to put your redis data into MySQL, and when/how to retrieve that data from either or both databases.
That's exactly what I meant by "complicated". It's not actually complicated, it's just more code than there needs to be (and it wouldn't exist at all if I just shoved all data in one database).

I guess I'll look into Postgres and see if I can base everything on it (and maybe keep something in memory).
It's a shame, since I liked having the possibility of using redis' pubsub stuff if I ever needed it (and I did need it until recently), but I don't want to run 2 databases at once.
>>
>>65959306

Postgres can do equivalent pubsub things with LISTEN/NOTIFY.
>>
>>65959075
Remote work has even more pressure what are you talking about? There isn't social pressure, but there are more deadlines to hit that you normally wouldn't have to care about because people in the office can see you're working on it.
>>
I want to set up a mysql database for my flask app using sqlalchemy.
I think I got the configuration set up, but how do I check that the database is connected?
Also, I got the SQL code for tables and the structure written already but if I want to make some changes, do I edit it in python and migrate changes as necessary? Do I need to rewrite the SQL code for all my tables into python?
>>
>>65960176
I'd trade just for the ability to work wherever i choose. 9-5 makes me sick
>>
>>65960313
>I'd trade just for the ability to work wherever i choose

Not every company afford this, or can they?

most companies here (Southern Europe) just want 9-5/10-6 workers
>>
>>65960383
No, remote work is rare. I've done it for years but after that project dried up, finding more is tough.
I could have had a dozen on-site jobs by now if I wanted them.
>>
>>65960383
Sorry, was thinking more along the lines of freelancing, not working for a company that lets me do remote work.

I'd take the pay cut and frustration in exchange of waking up without that feeling of "oh god, another 8h of bullshit ahead" and having to sit in an office the whole day.
>>
>>65960404
So what do you do now?
>>
>>65960313

I tried remote work once before, for me there's too many distractions at home to do proper work. I'd rather commute to work somewhere close to home.
>>
>>65960417
I look for work.
>>
>>65960431
Fair enough. I freelance from time to time, and never had a problem working from home or a bar.
Would love to switch to that style of work full time.
Depends if you can discipline yourself to actually work instead of jerking off and watching shows the whole day
>>
>>65960302
Write a connection class, then you can call on it as required
>>
>>65960313
Working wherever is irrelevant to me, quite frankly I prefer work environments that are set up for the expectation of work and not those that are multifunctional, and I sure as hell will not be looking at a computer screen while outside being tempted by a beach. That's just me.
Thankfully, there are a couple businesses that do exactly that, lease out space with the explicit notion that everyone will be working. You still get to show up whenever, no pressure socially, but zero distraction. Ultimately, I think it's where all businesses are going to move towards as talent becomes less centralized in SV and tools like Live Share come around enabling easier remote work.
>>
in what situations would a company want to have a c/c++ backend for their webapp? all the resources I look at say it's a stupid idea unless you really need it
>>
>>65960557
You need fast calculations for something.
>>
>>65960449
>Fair enough. I freelance from time to time, and never had a problem working from home or a bar.

Back when I worked a 'proper' corporate job, I couldn't work stay focused on the rare days I got to work from home either but the second time around when I was in startups and weird project work, I had no trouble doing it full time. I did it for six years.

>Would love to switch to that style of work full time.
>Depends if you can discipline yourself to actually work instead of jerking off and watching shows the whole day
There are days when you watch an episode of something on the clock or play a bit of something that runs in linux but on the whole, if you like your work, it's pretty easy to stay focused. It's only when my job sucked that I had any trouble.

>>65960557
>c/c++ backend
Speed basically. There's not a lot of other reason. If you're doing something very complicated in real-time then you might want to use C/C++. Usually, you just find a different way to do it, if speed is that essential, you probably need to rethink the work-flow and find a way to do it as a batch and let the client poll for job completion (or push with web sockets or something).
>>
>>65960557
There isn’t a reason to go that close to metal for web dev.

You use a c/c++ program that you queue up with a web backend to perform your calculations or whatever. It’s just more hassle than it should be to just render a webpage and parse requests and responses. You would have an easier Time using golang or python for that.
>>
>>65960557
>>65960733
>>65960774
>tfw doing C++ webdev right now
>it's not even for a company
>>
>>65960803
You do you man.

But seriously, what's the motivation?
I'm not knocking the language(s) but for webdev? It's not a tool that springs to mind, what's your purpose?

>>65960774
>You use a c/c++ program that you queue up with a web backend to perform your calculations or whatever
I'd use R or possibly even do it natively in Python unless it was very computationally expensive but then see >>65960733 and rethink your process. I've written a web app that did statistical regression in real-time and that used R and was good enough. Still no need to get down to C/C++.
>>
>>65960843
>what's your purpose?
proof-of-concept of C++ as a web-ready language
>>
>>65960582
>>65960733
>>65960774
something like a cryptocurrency exchange would be a good candidate then? i see binance uses java and c++ on the backend
>>
>>65960863
>C++ a web-ready language
I'd readily concede "web-capable language", you can make it web-ready with the right libraries of course.

>>65960881
>something like a cryptocurrency exchange would be a good candidate then? i see binance uses java and c++ on the backend
Maybe, I'm not sure the crypto couldn't be done fast enough in Python or something but yeah, that would do. You'd probably be importing C++ functions into Java though or something like that.

That's the other thing, you can generally just write a library in C++ and then import the functions you need into another language that's actually doing your API or whatever, that's how those languages actually work after all.
>>
>>65960881
Are you Kevin from coinmetro?
>>
If I'm setting up analytics on a react web app, but the URL on the browser is the same throughout the steps you click, what should I put for the path?

hitType: pageview;
page: URLgoeshere
>>
>>65961269
You could always use a router and have a changing URL but assuming you don't want to do that, why not log the class? If you're using a fat/thin component pattern then you probably want the fat component class, not the thin.
>>
>>65961348
I'll try that, thanks Anon.
>>
state = {
grandparent: {
name: "",
last_name: "",
parents_in_array: [
{
name: "",
last_name: "",
}
],
single_parent: {
something: "",
whatever: "",
},
this_too: ""
}
};

handleGrandparentChange = event => {
const { name } = event.target;
const { value } = event.target;
this.setState(prevState => ({
...prevState.grandparent,
[name]: value
}
}));
};
handleArrayOfParentsChange = event => { ??? };
handleSingleParentChange = event => {
const { name } = event.target;
const { value } = event.target;
this.setState(prevState => ({
...prevState.grandparent,
parent: {
...prevState.grandparent.parent,
[name]: value
}
}
}));
};

I'm sure I can make some generic handleChange function using recursion perhaps, maybe something like
handleChange(...array)
and calling it like
handleChange("grandparent", "parent")
. Thing is that I'm not smart enough to make one.
>>
>>65960404
I wish the remote jobs weren't rare.

It would be nice to go wherever you want. It's my goal. Working in an office sucks.
>>
>>65957788
is it no longer standard to use $ as document.getElementById? i heard jquery fucked this up.
>>
>>65962743
what?
>>
>>65962743
Was that a standard?

I don't use jquery but I think the $ is more like querySelectorAll. Plus it returns its own type of object to apply styles and register events and stuff.
>>
>nodemon doesn't stop the server if there's an error
>have to kill the port manually

I don't like this.
>>
>>65962445
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43040721/how-to-update-a-nested-state-in-react
>>
Why this doesn't work?
have this:
dropArea.addEventListener("drop", FileSelectHandler, false);
container.addEventListener("drop", FileSelectHandler, false);

the idea was to put dropArea, and container to an array and use foreach:
["dropArea","container"].forEach(function(i){
i.addEventListener("drop", FileSelectHandler, false);

});

but the browser returns:
TypeError: i.addEventListener is not a function
but when i do console.log(i); it prints dropArea and container. What I'm missing here?
>>
>>65964518
dropArea != "dropArea"

One is a DOM node and one is a string.
>>
>>65957788

>makes fun of C++ fags for having to write header files, and setup compile flags
>have to deal with arduous "transpiling" and "packing" workflows that are incredibly confusing and prone to break at every "module" update

web devs are huge fags. I just spent 4 hours figuring out how to use webpack to build a bootstrap project and now I can finally start building my webpage.
>>
File: cringe.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>65964557
>>
>>65964550
shit,.. thanks.
>>
I saw this awesome example of animated css background on codepen:
merging few different pictures into one place and animate them:

https://codepen.io/vincent-inb4/pen/dOQggY

I wonder is this a right approach? I can see that the pictures are 1920px, I wonder how this would scale on bigger res screens, have no idea how to test it.
>>
>>65964682
>have no idea how to test it.
google chrome dev tools -> responsive design mode
>>
>>65964557
>>have to deal with arduous "transpiling" and "packing" workflows that are incredibly confusing and prone to break at every "module" update
Yeah, those things suck. But it's the web in 2018, everybody's on it now so you have to conform to several standards to keep things secure and also looking sexy.
>>
>>65964347
Thats basically what im doing right now, my question isnt about that
>>
>>65964557
just use makefiles to string together various command line tools
>>
Anybody here with depression using webdev as a creative outlet?
>>
>>65958621
I don't think you'll ever have traffic big enough to worry about that performance. If you really give that much of a massive shit about performace you can dump messages into Kafka and then have another application read the topics and dump them into a database as large CLOBs. You really don't need to have each message queryable by its own key. I'd drain a Kafka topic and dump them into the DB as 30+ messages per row. When someone scrolls back into history you want to load messages in bulk anyway.
>>
>>65964936
Yes. Why you're asking?
>>
>>65965082
Well, because I do too. And I'm lonely.
>>
>>65965136
I'm lonely too. What are you working on? What interests you in web dev?
I'm currently messing around with three.js.
>>
File: 1526502207929.png (58 KB, 593x577)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>delete 5 react apps from my computer
>deleting 100000 files....
>>
>>65965136
>>65964936
you guys don't leave the house for walk in the woods?

get a bicycle
>>
>>65965164
Right now I'm following Brad Traversy's video on Push Notifications using Node.js and 'Service Worker'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlYFW2zaYQM

>What interests you in web dev?
Webdev is very large now and there's a lot to work with. I've always loved the internet, ever since I was 8 back in the late 90s and it was such a wild-west kind of place. Programming in general is great, I love automating things with computers. What do you enjoy about webdev dude? Three.js sounds interesting, got a project going?
>>
>>65965224
I do, I go for walks a lot. But it's all the same place and I don't like seeing other people.
>>
>>65965262
>I don't like seeing other people

>Man is by nature a social animal;
>Sn individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human.
>Society is something that precedes the individual.
>Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god. ”

― Aristotle
>>
>>65965246
> Right now I'm following Brad Traversy's video on Push Notifications using Node.js and 'Service Worker'.

Noice. I currently follow his MERN stack but I got stuck on the redux part so I'm procrastinating by doing some other projects.

I like his channel and his little project based tutorials. And if you are interested in javascript then his Modern Javascript course is something I would 100% recommend.

> ever since I was 8 back in the late 90s and it was such a wild-west kind of place.

Same here. I regret not studying computer science or something related as it was such a logical choice. But I went to study something my parents wanted and then dropped out. Now, I wallow in self-pity and use programming as an outlet. I think if it weren't for programming, I would have offed myself some time ago. I really like that there's so much to learn and do.

And yeah, the internet was such a different place. I remember 4chan back in 2005, it was like an obscure place with a special kind of humor. It felt like a tight knit community but that changed quickly as it gained popularity.
It was fun while it lasted I guess.

> What do you enjoy about webdev dude?

Everything. I really like creating things and having others use it. I managed to generate some small passive income, I could even make more but the depression gets the better of me and then I don't see the point.

> Three.js sounds interesting, got a project going?

Yeah, I'm hoping to create a multiplayer game with javascript alone and currently, I'm just messing with three js. A-frame is also something I'm looking into, you can make a 3d/vr portfolio in a short timeframe with it.

> I love automating things with computers

What do you automate? Which languages do you use?
>>
>>65965136
This is why I want a home incubator like Silicon Valley. Making stuff is lonely work.
>>
>>65965444
nice trips and an inspiring quote
>>
>>65965489
>I don't like seeing other people.
You don't need a home incubator.
There are remote work spaces in like every major city. Go to one. Go to a coffee shop. Go to a hackathon.
Variety of options, there is ZERO reason for you to feel lonely while making stuff unless you have explicitly set out to isolate yourself.
>>
>>65965444
If he says, then it must be true!
>>
>>65965527
What part don't you agree with?
>>
>>65965539
The part that I'm a god.
>>
>>65965546
you're socializing right now through the internet. that quote doesn't apply here in the slightest
also aristotle is always right, yes
>>
>>65965546
>is either a beast or a god
If you aren't a god you're a beast
>>
>>65965452
All sounds really cool anon. I hope to make some passive income in the near future myself. I sympathise with you on not studying computer science, it would have been a great help but what can you do really. We're doing what we enjoy now and that is what matters.

Also this is like the pot calling the kettle black or that Spiderman meme image doing the rounds on Twitter but I wish you the best in feeling better and I hope you don't go through with killing yourself. Programming is too fucking fun to miss out on mate.

For automation right now I stick to JS and userscripts to fill in forms and click the button automatically, but I hope to learn webscraping in the future. I did the Automate The Boring Stuff course for Python on Udemy which was fun, but I wouldn't want to touch Python too much since the lack of semicolons makes me feel uncomfortable.
>>
Before I die I will leave you just 1 suggestion which mankind never deserved, but should have had since the creation of webpages.

2 layouts in 1 website toggled with the push of a mouse button. Instantly change your websites' layout from an imageboatd to a forum.
>>
>>65965562
aristotle is only right in the sense that he's the perfect ironic shitposter
>>
>>65965609
reddit already does this
changes layout from instagram to headlines
>>
>>65965609
Ok and how do you expect the logic of this to work. People posting in forum mode don't traditionally post a lot of images, it's more focused on text. Unless you're thinking outside the box and six-dimensionally, in which case I hope to reach your level of genius someday.
>>
When your non-TLS serving web application receives a request over http, throws out the response and then sends another request back to the origin (which is also a webserver, but one that _is_ serving TLS), is your request encrypted?

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have a good primer on how TLS/SSL works?
>>
>>65965605
Thanks, mate, I wish you the best. Hopefully, you'll be able to make some nice dosh with your skills.

I used to do things in Python and I did the same course, but you can do pretty much everything in JS on the web so I'm currently focused on making stuff with it.

Thought of going back to Python for machine learning but now with tensorflow.js, I don't even need to.
>>
i have a domain name

i can hook it up to whatever web host (like an ecommerce platform) but not multiple hosts?

and i can ALSO hook it up to an email host (like outlook.com or whatever)?

how am i supposed to know what works with what? this stuff is
about as difficult to get a clear overview of as the tax code for freak's sake
>>
>>65957788
How do I into design?
>>
>>65966203
By learning general design fundamentals and growing from there.
Otherwise just use css frameworks and hire a designer later.
>>
File: 1.jpg (109 KB, 1143x603)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>65966220
>>65966203
i'm bored
>>
>>65966297
The one rule of displaying dialogue is to have the first speech bubble on the left since it is how westerners read anon.
>>
File: chrishandsome.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>65965184
>Using create-react-app
>>
>>65966203
Create a gigantic page which you have to scroll bar in order to reach the tab you want. You have a minimap indicating where you are.

It would be funny as fuck and a response to those retarded website blogs where you have to scroll down 2 miles till you finally reach the content you wanted.
>>
>>65965931
You can only hook one url up to one server, but you can hook multiple urls to one server.

e.g.
www.urlname.co.uk points to -> 84.123.43.32
subdoamin.urlname.co.uk points to -> 123.123.123.12
subdomain2.urlname.co.yj points to -> 123.123.123.12

Yes you can hook it up to emails, most likely cost implications on hooking it up to the main ones (gmail, outlook)
>>
>>65965931
>i can hook it up to whatever web host (like an ecommerce platform) but not multiple hosts?
If you want multiple hosts, you can use a subdomain.

e.g. "example.com" could be hosted at 1.3.5.7, but then "blog.example.com" could be at 2.4.6.8

> and i can ALSO hook it up to an email host (like outlook.com or whatever)?
Mail servers are a different protocol/port than HTTP servers. So there's a different DNS entry for looking up the address of a mail server, so you can have that point to a different place.
>>
>>65965667
Simply use a modified website function that allows you to post 5-10 thumbnails and resize the image when clicked. Avatarfags will look awkward in the process, but better for us anons.
Same deal like 4chan X allowing gallery mode to view images easier without clicking them and auto pre-loading.
>>
File: 1526488507239.png (892 KB, 1440x900)
892 KB
892 KB PNG
>>65966406
>Using create-react-app

What to use instead, anon?
>>
>>65966546
Just setting up react, and react-dom, webpack, and babel as dependencies and going from there boyo.
>>
Any easy way of creating a report template in html? I'm shit at design, literally the only thing left of my internship. I've the format they use, but I'm that much of an idiot..
>>
Show me examples of horrible web dev practices used on relatively large sites.
>>
>>65966875
>Image posting is back. Expecting a more permanent fix soon™!
>>
>>65965931
You're really asking about DNS.
It's possible to bind different IPs to a domain name for serving different protocols. They're usually on sub-domains but email is a special case that has DNS support.

Load balancing is done by having several servers share a public IP, I'd leave that until you understand the rest.
>>
>>65964682
If the images are SVG then scaling is no problem at all
>>
File: 30%zoom on 2k.png (88 KB, 2556x265)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>65964682
>I wonder how this would scale on bigger res screens, have no idea how to test it.
Aside responsive design mode (>>65964767
) from web dev tools in Chrome and Firefox...have you tried zooming out?

On my 2k screen zoomed out a lot, it scaled fine though the repetition became more obvious.
>>
>>65967254
>If the images are SVG then scaling is no problem at all
They're pngs.
>>
Fuck. This thread made me realize that I don't hate programming, I just hate my fucking job. I interviewed to be a python developer. Why am I writing AngularJS?

Screw it. I'm going back into the defense sector. At least there I'll be working on 10+ year old codebases that are totally immune to the meme bullshit the JS community leans into.
>>
>>65967567
Don't hate learning new things anon.
If you work in 10yo systems, your days are numbered. Admittedly the number is high in the defence sector but numbered all the same.

I made a career out of being the guy who wasn't afraid to do new things or hard things, while the rest of the team cowered in their comfy little niches. When they need to fire people to make budget, they don't fire the guy who steps up.
>>
>>65962445
I'd honestly try to avoid deep nesting if possible. https://redux.js.org/recipes/structuring-reducers/normalizing-state-shape might be applicable but I don't know what kind of data you're dealing with to be sure.
>>
why does he keep spamming the same comments over and over again?
>>65967567
>>65965184
>>
>>65967762
So you don't forget the current state of web dev
>>
>>65967762
different guy, bro

>>65967619
Fair.

>>65967783
amen
>>
>>65967762
>>65967783
I guess anon didn't get responses ful of outrage and tears the first time around and wants to keep trying in the hope that someone will take the bait.
>>
>>65967814
>>
>been doing webdev as a hobby for a couple years now
>see if there is a study I can do so I can get a degree in it

>all courses teach me nothing new
>all complete studies in my cunt force me to do an internship, during which I won't get paid jack shit
Might as well specialize on my own.
>>
File: cringe.jpg (153 KB, 962x720)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>65967783
>>
>>65967814
Anon sounds like he has a bunch of issues to work out mentally rather than spend all his time shitposting.
>>
>>65968016
not an argument, fagboy
>>
>>65968044
neither was >>65967783
>>
>>65968052
but that is the current state though.

importing thousands of files to do simple task.
>>
>>65968065
simply repeating the claim isn't an argument cuntboy
stay mad
>>
>>65968081
It is. Sorry sweetie.
>>
>>65968044
>not an argument, fagboy
Who's arguing?
We're just cringing at your obsession and foolishness.

You're arguing with yourself, the rest of us don't give a shit about how many modules React uses. The people that don't use React don't care because it doesn't affect them and the ones that do use React also don't care or they'd stop using it.
It's just you that's upset about this.
>>
>>65968065
if your way of doing things is so much better why don't you do some super leet websites and earn millions
>>
god dude I really don't get databases. how do I/what do I use to make a database, add one table with one row and one column, and display that in html?
>>
>>65968630
Databases have tables
Tables have columns.
Your tables get rows once you add them.

and you get the data from a database with a back-end language which HTML is not.

Usually the front-end sends a request to the backend, like with an AJAX request, saying it wants data.

Then the back-end fetches that data and responds with it. Then you parse it on the front-end and generate something to look at.
>>
>>65968665
how do I do the first part? (have a database)
>>
>>65968726
What operating system are you on?
>>
>>65968739
windows
>>
>>65968665
>>65968739
I'm pretty sure you're being trolled.
>>
>>65968756
he's not
>>
>>65968748
Download and install XAMPP
https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

Navigate to mysql/bin like pic related
type in mysql -u root -p
just hit enter when it asks for the password.

That should put you into mysql where you can do all of the database stuff.

Then type in CREATE DATABASE whateveryouwanttonameit;
and it will create the database.
Then type USE whateveryouwanttonameit;
To tell mysql you want to use that database.

This explains that step with better formatting
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/creating-database.html

Finally you need to create a table to store your information in. You can find out how to do that here.
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/creating-tables.html
>>
File: cmd.png (15 KB, 679x368)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>65968811
Meant to attach this picture.
>>
>>65968815
thanks a lot for the actual help.

is there a follow up for the other steps? I think I can just use something like node.js for that?
>>
>>65968887
Probably. I use PHP.
>>
Why is it retarded to have huge event handler functions in jquery? I have $(body).on('click'...) functions that are like 500 lines and there doesn't seem to be any performance issues
>>
>>65969321
wtf are you doing that takes 500 lines. simplify
>>
>>65969360
I'm a lazy ass and instead of writing and passing control to a new function, I put all the logic into the handlers. That's why I'm asking about the downsides to this (aside from readability/maintainability)
>>
>>65969321
Turns out, function calls are pretty optimized in **basically every programming language ever**

Oh, also, obligatory stop-using-jQuery.
>>
>>65966875
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fraab-werbeagentur.com%2Fkalkulator.html

>hurrdurr we offer great web development services
This website is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen in my entire career. It looks like a degenerate Wordpress template, but oh hey it's even worse. It's fully custom, self-writen HTML. They use some crappy unknown German CMS, yet the subpages are literally .html files. They don't even use a router or know how to URL rewrite.

Damn germans. I know descendants of Hitler hate Jews, but holy shit... they're jewer than Jews!
>>
>>65969584
view source for mega cringe

>if (class == david) {
>addClass('david')
>removeClass('david')
>>
>>65967623
>your days are numbered

Numbered from getting any more shitty javascript jobs. Java is going to be cushy for decades. Ask any Cobol, Fortran or perl developer. Ask anybody who does data warehousing and reporting. Ask anybody who does SAP consulting. Ask anybody who still works on AS400 programs.

Some stuff sticks and pays really well for how difficult it is. It's just not usually fun.
>>
File: 1360556642641.jpg (73 KB, 668x603)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
So Im a noob and i was going to create a website for affliaye marketing with WordPress and just buy a theme and create content. A mentor in the the entrepreneur club said to just go with wix or squarespace and if I really wanted to make it a long term deal go with Shopify. What do? The website would be similar to uncrate.com or gearhungry.com
>>
>>65963104
it's open sauce, right? Make that change yourself.
>>
>>65969812
If you're just linking stuff, I don't think you really need shopify. That's for actually selling things, which I assume you aren't planning on doing yourself.

As much as I dislike wordpress, wix is worse. I haven't really seen much of squarespace, so I can't say one way or the other. I think wordpress would be the better solution in this case. It would be a bit more in-depth to set up yourself, but from what I've seen it's the better platform if you want to be writing new posts at any given time, since wordpress is a blog engine at its core (although it's very extensible beyond that). I think wix and squarespace let you do blogs or similar, but I don't know what their user stories look like in terms of that.
>>
>>65969584
>linking the translation
literally what the FUCK
>>
>>65969812
wordpress or squarespace
also dont listen to anyone in your entrepreneur club, they're consistently filled with losers
>>
How do I do this?
Like how do I pass a variable as self to a function I call on the variable
let str1 = 'Hello'
let str2 = 'World'

function isEqual(compareString) {
return self === compareString
}

str.isEqual(str2) // -> false
>>
>>65969983
It's even better
>linking the translation and complaining about the formatting
>>
>>65970018
That's /usually/ a bad idea because reasons but if you really want to do it then like this:
String.prototype.isEqual = function (compareString){ 
return "anon is a faggot";
}
>>
>crazy_strings.rb
>>
>>65970018
Well first of all self in JavaScript isn't like self in e.g. Python. self is still a keyword, but it refers to the window or global scope. The keyword you want is 'this', which in a method, is equal to the object instance the given method is a member of.

To add a method to an class, you set a property on its prototype. In this case, we want String.prototype.

And finally, a bit of weirdness: 'this' isn't quite a normal string, so when you compare it to an actual string that you pass in, you have to call its valueOf() method first.

So the implementation:
String.prototype.isEqual = function(compareString) {
return this.valueOf() === compareString;
};

In this case, we used an inline function, but we could just have easily defined the function normally (like you did) as 'isEqual' and then set the
String.prototype.isEqual = isEqual;

Also, >>65970128 is correct in that it's not a great idea, mainly because it makes that supposedly standard object behave in a weird nonstandard way. And it applies that change globally, so it could have unintended consequences.
>>
So I downloaded a HTML and CSS book, planning on learning js afterwards. My question is once I'm done with that, am I pretty much ready to write virtually any website I want?
>>
>>65959028

webdev at a startup here

unless you plan to churn out fullstack implementations on front/back/devops/customer support end no, you'll work 100 hundred hour weeks and hate your fucking life.

learn to work with others.
>>
What is the best way to determine if a user is an admin or just a regular admin? Should I have a boolean in the table for users called isAdmin and set to true for each admin and false for regular members?
>>
Is there an event I can use one all asyc defer scripts have finished loading?
>>
>>65970251
HTML and CSS will let you make simple websites with no user interaction. Js will let you make programmatical changes to the front end. But you'll also need server code and a database in most cases.

For server code you can use node.js since you'll have to learn js anyway. Or php which is easier for simple websites
>>
>>65971675
yes
>>
Is nodejs,mongodb,mysql,expressjs,reactjs and a weather app enough to apply for a job?
>>
In asp.net mvc framework, can you overload actions? Like, can I give two methods in a controller the action "index" but change their parameters? i.e.,

public ActionResult index(int id) { }
public ActionResult index(String name) { }
>>
How is it like to have a remote jobs? can you guys explain it to me from zero? it's like 8hrs of videochat while programming or they give you daily taks?
>>
>>65969598
Wtf? This is all one after another right?
>>
>>65970571
Hmm. I'd rather pick up a job as a janitor or gardener instead since those are the kinds of jobs I can function in, even if webdev is what I love
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144 KB, 1239x720)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>65972024
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bisqwit

Bisqwit, a creepy finish programmer, drives a truck.

Sometimes, i think jobs where you interact with other people, are better than programming jobs.

who knows
>>
>>65972068
At the same time I see how little these jobs pay and I want to work in webdev professionally again. A solo programming job would be my dream
>>
>>65968002
That's what i'm doing
>>
>>65971675
>Should I have a boolean in the table for users called isAdmin
That's the best way if you're not going to create a full roles and permission system.
It works fine if you have just admins and janitors or something, a boolean for each category of 'special user' is fine.

Anything much more complicated and you'll have a user-role-assignment table, a roles table and maybe a permissions table
>>
>>65971928
>it's like 8hrs of videochat while programming or they give you daily taks?

It's usually task oriented but there are no rules, every place is different.
I'd do it more or less like this:
Regular video chat meetings, maybe once a day in the morning but usually just once a week at a particular time.
Emails all day obviously, including tasks.
Shared drives and repositories etc
You estimate your tasks and if your estimate is slipping, you let someone know.
Once you finish a task, you move on to the next one on your list. Maybe that means emailing someone or calling them to ask what to do next or discuss priorities or issues.

You don't usually call someone without emailing first but it's easier if there's text chat available. We used to all use Google talk to chat constantly, share code snippets, stuff like that. Slack is the goto these days though.
>>
5 Signs You Need to Fire Your Client
1. Problems with Payment
2. Consistent Scope Creep
3. Mismatched Style or Design Philosophy
4. Unethical or Abusive Clients
5. You Hate the Work

Link to the full article: https://designshack.net/articles/business-articles/how-to-fire-a-freelance-client/

Is there something else you'd add to the list?
>>
>>65957788
Should I require users to verify their email before they can login after account creation?
It seems like a pain in the ass but I don't know how else to prevent someone from signing up with someone else's email.
>>
>>65972953
>prevent someone from signing up with someone else's email.
>search db for email
>"The email you are trying to register is already taken"

you don't need to sent an email
>>
>>65972953
>Should I require users to verify their email before they can login after account creation?
It doesn't hurt but unless user interaction and identity are a thing then it's not strictly necessary.

It's usually a good idea though, it's not a big step and easy to implement.
>>
What do i need to get into freelancing front end?

Currently learning html, css and js, bought a Web Dev Bootcamp course on Udemy, and i'm taking my time teaching myself how shit works.
I want to learn this inside out, but i'm just interested in how many clients pay for basically editing a WordPress theme and copy-pasting some code around to make it shiny?
Can you find work as a beginner in this field, or do i really need to know frontend and backend inside-out to make a living?
For reference, i earn like 3$/hr at my current job(yay balkans).
If i could get to 500$/month i could quit my 9-5.

Also, any tips on what to focus on?
>>
I make websites where javascript is essential for functionality and validation and no one can stop me.
>>
>>65973114
Do you seriously have nothing better to do than try and troll this thread?
The people that know enough to take exception to what you say are really not interested in getting angry over it anyway.
This is actually a very polite thread, your efforts are wasted.
>>
File: noscript.jpg (50 KB, 335x223)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>65973114
>>
I'm learning web for the first time and I'm trying to build a small clone version of 4stats as a project. I was playing with the 4chan api for a while and I noticed a small amount of threads that don't have 'tim' attribute (>>>/h/4939795 for example). I looked around 4stats and I can't see how he handles it or I'm just blind. I'm trying to determine the age of the thread and wondering how would you fellas handle it, just check if the attribute is undefined and convert the time attribute in seconds to milliseconds? Thanks.
>>
will using a <picture> tag with <source media="(max-width xxx)"> actually prevent larger images from loading (as in not burn mobile data on images larger than xxx)? I'm getting mixed information.
>>
>>65970571
Depends on the business model.
>>
Web development general.
More like retarded 3rd world CS degree students shitting up the thread with questions that could be easily answered by reading the fucking docs.

Fucking nodebabbies and PHPajeets
>>
>>65973527
clean your room
>>
>>65973041
you are retarded. you have no knowledge of any basic security principles.
>>
From a pure design standpoint, is it okay? Just a hobby.
https://hgtools.neocities.org/
>>
>>65972953
Do you need their email? If so, then yes.

I usually just do username and password unless I plan on sending them bullshit affiliate offers.
>>
>>65973610
>https://hgtools.neocities.org/

Looks a little narrow on 13 inch laptop screens, maybe try increasing column width for that one.
>>
>>65973806
Alright thanks, will keep in mind
>>
>>65973714
Whilst I'm more or less with you, account recovery is much harder without an email.
You can make it a recommended optional of course.
>>
>>65971928
It varies depending on employment. It varies from set your own schedule completely but meet these deadlines to video chats every single day, mandatory commits, every couple of months visit the office, etc.
>>
Creating and implementing validation is so boring. *Yaaawn*
>>
>>65973106
bump
>>
>>65972953
Yeah, you pretty much have to verify when they create.

Alternatively, what I've seen a couple sites do is have you put in your email address, then you have to follow the verify link they email you, and from there you're allowed to choose a password and enter info and stuff.

>>65973041
>>65973545
Do you really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and lie about their email address?
>>
File: 1407172631698.jpg (67 KB, 441x411)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Ok guys, I'm in the need of help.

I've been fuckign around with HTML, CSS and JS for some time on my free time, lately with Node, but, I need to learn PHP and Laravel for good now.

A chance for landing a job has open to me through a friend, but I need this, there will be a test for a junior level job and he trusts me, but I know literally shit about this.

HELP.
>>
>>65974138
>learning php
better option is to seppuku
>>
>>65974138
Ok? Google the info you need and make a project out of it to become familiar with the language?

The fuck are you asking here about.
No better way to learn than doing it.
>>
>>65974169
I'm asking about any recommended tutorials and shit any of you guys can vouche for so I don't have to waste many time going through garbage.

>>65974165
seppuku looks like paradise compared with my current job

I would embrace PHP without hesitation.
>>
>>65974187
There's no better way to learn than doing it you faggot. Every programmer KNOWS this by soul.

Think of a project, make it using the language you want to learn.
Now fuck off.

"waste my time"
Stop thinking about this. 80% of a developer's time is gone into researching shit rather than developing it.
>>
> wordpress stores pages in database.
how does it get those pages to display on front end with correct url?
>>
>>65974318
it queries the database
>>
>>65974318
yes, how does it know which url match content in database? use regular express and then url rewrite?
>>
>>65974400
want to replay to this actually
>>65974353
>>
>>65974220
Damn straight.

I'll take your advice.
>>
>>65974169
not that anon, but any advice on what kind of project should I add in my portfolio?
The only stuff I have is a biography of some politician made with basic html, css, JS and a page that where you can insert a link of a youtube video with the min and sec you input and give back the link with the time and second together.
I don't think my employer will be impressed with that.
>>
>>65974400
reg exp would be overkill for parsing a url.
>>
>>65974424
software development is just figuring out how to plug shit together and make it work. its not about "coding." any retarded monkey can type on a keyboard and code.
>>
>>65974446
make an app to kill yourself
that will impress anyone
>>
>>65974446
The best kind of projects are complete projects where you make a fully working website that incorporates whatever small feature/app that you might want to implement. A step beyond that would be actual business websites.

It takes a lot of time, specially for design and etc. You don't need to have a lot.
A good idea would be making a website for some local business and putting it live, etc. It will teach you a lot.

Having smaller apps is still fine. Again, bear in mind interviews are still crazy and this does not guarantee in any way your success.

But the trick with the volunteer jobs is that it gives you connections. And as we all know, connections > skills; quite often.
>>
Planning on starting a Go web dev course on Udemy tonight. What am I in for?
>>
>>65974591
Pain and suffering
>>
>>65974609
Why?
>>
>>65974476
I've been told that many times.

A friend that works as webdev always tells me he would be pretty much useless without google. Said that knowing how to spot what you have to look for, then getting that shit working is key.
>>
>>65974652
It is true.

I literally come across shit that I don't know how to implement every day. But we're always given time to research of course, it's part of our job.
Eventually you figure it out, or work around it, or also realize that it's not possible and that's fine too.

But you know? In the end it turns into experience. And next time, you will be a better candidate because of that. That's why when I see faggots in this thread crying that they can't "code from scratch" after < 1 year of development, I just laugh.
>>
>>65974121
>Alternatively, what I've seen a couple sites do is have you put in your email address, then you have to follow the verify link they email you, and from there you're allowed to choose a password and enter info and stuff.
That's the system I like but it has one downside.
When they set their password, the browser isn't able to get the username to store the login.
I'm wondering whether a hidden input could resolve that.
>>
>>65974683
this
back in the day, I had o idea of how to implement a pagination so I had to find examples using google and learn from it.
Now I can implement it in some minutes.
>>
>>65974138
>I need to learn PHP and Laravel
>a junior level job

So you don't need to know it extremely well.
Just do some tutorials and build whatever those are about. Laravel is easy and PHP is easy so it's all good.
If you know any other languages, you'll pick up PHP quickly.

Required reading:
https://laravel.com/
https://laracasts.com/
>>
File: 1468102277644.jpg (38 KB, 393x393)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>tfw just spent 3 hours figuring out why my database table columns aren't being added only to realize that I defined them as db.column (when I needed it to be defined as db.Column instead)
just fucking kill me
>>
What is the purpose of Express? What does it add to using Node?
>>
>>65974882
>What is the purpose of Express?
it's a web application framework
>What does it add to using Node?
functionality related to web applications
https://expressjs.com/en/4x/api.html
>>
>>65974138
PHP is shit
learn Python and a web framework like Flask or Django instead
>>
>>65974882
It handles API routes pretty easily, integrates with JADE templates.
>>
>>65974138
Learn what you need to know for that job, Anon. Ignore the advice of others here telling you to learn their language of choice.

You can do that after you've got sustainable income.
>>
>>65974935
This. Flask is absolutely fucking comfy.
>>
>>65974988
Ignore this anon, learn Perl
>>
>>65974988
If you want to kill yourself and be miserable in general, then get the PHP job
Enjoy rewriting some pajeet's code
>>
>>65974683
Thanks for the input mate.

One of the reasons I want to get a job as web dev is because I realize I love that constant problem solving hunt.

I've got my fair share of practice because I learnt literally everything I know about computers that way.
>>
>>65975126
>If you want to kill yourself and be miserable in general, then get the PHP job
>Enjoy rewriting some pajeet's code
Anon has to start somewhere, my first developer job wasn't much better.
>>
Any thoughts or pointers?

Is now responsive

http://v2-wm.webflow.io/
>>
>>65974591
you dont need that course desu
>>
>>65975126
>He thinks he's gonna get his dream job on the first try and make $100k/year
LMAO /g/ actually believes this.
>>
>>65975434
But I want to learn Go.
>>
>>65975468
My first dev job was for a whopping 19 an hour using PHP. No pajeet code anywhere.
>>
If I'm comfortable with React, Redux, React Router, etc will learning Angular be fast?
>>
File: 1509552912195.jpg (57 KB, 415x440)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>65975468
>tfw land first job making $160k/yr
Average uni, no experience, not even a cs major lel. At least i'm smart as shit and decent with people.
>>
>>65975937
lel.
>>
File: pre.png (57 KB, 817x878)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
i have a wordpress theme /site I'm trying to edit so it shows the preloader for 4 seconds even if the page loads in 2 seconds or whatever. so where should i add the .delay(4000) or setTimeout() to get it working?

im doing it on 'onload' in the theme options.
here is part of the script.js that i think is responsible for it

preloader : function(show_it_now){
var p = $('#preloader');
if(p.length){
var c = p.find('div.preload-content'),
skip = p.find('a.skip-preloader'),
hide_onready = p.hasClass('onReady'),
hide_it = function(){ // makes sure the whole site is loaded
c.fadeOut().promise().done(function(){
p.fadeOut(400);
})
},
show_it = function(){
skip.hide();
c.show();
p.fadeIn();
};

if(typeof show_it_now === 'undefined'){
if(hide_onready){
$(document).ready(hide_it);
}
else{
//when this script is loaded then show link to skip preloader
skip.fadeIn().on( click_event, function(ev){
ev.stopPropagation();
ev.preventDefault();
hide_it();
});

$window.load(hide_it);
}
}

//for showing/hiding on AJAX
else{
if(show_it_now){
show_it();
}
else{
hide_it();
}
}
}
},

>>
I'm planning to build a wiki-like website that might get up to or more than ~10k users. I'm originally planning to just use Flask for this but my friend suggested me to use Tornado instead for concurrency hype lately. Looking at Tornado it looks like a bit complicated to use. Should I just continue with Flask instead? I might use websockets as well but are there really any real world advantage in trying to learn Tornado and using it in this case?
>>
Can anyone point me to a resource which explains in detail authentication strategies (with sessions, tokens etc) in web apps.
I'm sick and tired of the bullshit that I usually come across, either they are not explained in detail enough to understand what is going on or they don't bother at all explaining and expect you to go with it because "it works".
>>
in JS, how would i pass the 1st array value to a function in a .setAttribute function?
var stuff = document.getElementsByClassName('foo');
thing.setAttribute("onmouseover", func(stuff[0])); // ????

Doing that just gives me an undefined value. Or does that mean stuff isn't loaded yet?
>>
File: thinking_about_bees.jpg (73 KB, 900x675)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>65976299
OWASP in general is a good resource. This article has various general stuff on authentication:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Authentication_Cheat_Sheet

There are links throughout, as well as a whole bunch at the bottom that might go into more depth about specific topics you're curious about.
>>
>>65976511
https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/66377/what-is-the-xy-problem
>you are trying to solve problem X, and you think solution Y would work, but instead of asking about X when you run into trouble, you ask about Y.

You shouldn't be setting the "onmouseover" attribute of an element. There's a way of setting callbacks to run on events:
thing.addEventListener("mouseover", function() {
func(stuff[0]);
});

[for more info see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/EventTarget/addEventListener]

This is an inline callback that calls the function "func" with that parameter. Although that relies on "stuff" being the same as it was originally, so you may need to consider doing the "getElementsByClassName" within that function. (Depending on whether or not it changes over time.)

What you're doing right now is calling func using that parameter, and passing whatever it returns to a method that takes a string as a parameter, and will later execute that string as JS code when you mouseover the "thing" element. I assume that's not actually what you wanted to do. What you probably meant was to pass "func(stuff[0])" as a string, and that might work, but it's a bad way of adding an event listener.
>>
>>65976679
thanks lad, pretty new to webdev and all that.
>>
>>65976085
>so it shows the preloader for 4 seconds
>even if the page loads in 2 seconds
nigger please turn 360 degrees and walk away from your computer thank you
>>
>>65975937
160k is poverty-tier in silicon valley
>>
>>65977022
i made a cool ass custom preloader i wanna show it off
>>
>>65977029
srsly. I earn 344k/year for 10 hours/week of home office
y'all have to step up
>>
>>65977054
>tfw you wasted hours on a pretty loading screen but your page is too fast to show it

i understand you. i know that feeling. but you have to learn to let go
>>
Is it worth applying to jobs online? Anybody have success with it here?
>>
>>65977029
Who the fuck wants to work in Silicon Valley
>>
any alternative to ionic+cordova for multiplatform apps? never used angular or typescript so this seems hard to get into
>>
>>65977229
What do you mean? Work remote?
Do you have tons of experience in the industry already? If so, it's possible.

If not, I wouldn't hire you most certainly. Too much teaching involved for someone new in the industry, and not worth it. If I want shitty work I'll hire pajeets for cheaper.

Either way there's tons of highly experienced professionals out there who dominate that particular field. And for your own good learning, I'd recommend not doing that as you'd be missing the opportunity of learning from other developers which can increase your knowledge VERY fast.
>>
>>65977275
No dude I mean applying on job searching sites like Indeed etc
>>
>>65977247
anon said he makes $160k with no experience. unlikely he lives in bumfuck minnesota
>>
>>65977336
Yeah duh, how the fuck are you gonna find out the places that are hiring? You just gonna walk around town going into random buildings? It's the 21th century m8. These people are busy to give you the time of day.

Now, sites like indeed have job postings and it's a good resource to find out local companies. But if possible I'd say apply both on indeed and on their own website if they have an application form.
>>
you guys ever been to programming meetups in your city?

how'd it go
>>
>>65977465
No, but I can tell you from job experience that working with other developers can be very fruitful.
>>
>>65975391
how is this webflow thing? it looks fine

website is fine i guess, very minimalistic. can't think of any suggestions, might want to add a footer?
>>
I'm using passport jwt but I don't get why the middleware part shits out req.user.id instead of req.usuario.id like I put it in the function

module.exports = passport => {
passport.use(
new JwtStrategy(opts, async (jwt_payload, done) => {
try {
const usuario = await Usuario.findById(jwt_payload.sub);
if (!usuario) done(null, false);
return done(null, usuario);
} catch (err) {
done(err, false);
}
})
);
};

This is supposed to give me an usuario object in the request, right? It is always undefined for some reason, it puts it in the req.user object. Why the fuck?
>>
so i made a thing using a lamp stack for a uni project. i'd like to migrate it to formats that people actually use nowadays. I was recommended mern
>>
>>65977683
lamp is still used nowadays. mern is a meme
>>
>>65973318
yeah that seems to be a special case, where the OP doesn't have the 'tim' property, when the image gets removed.
Probably better to use 'time' and *1000 that to get the age and posts/minute of the thread.
>I can't see how he handles it
It's not handled atm. It will just result in the age and posts/min being NaN, which means that the thread will be discarded iirc.
(a rare issue though)

so like you said, using 'time' seconds to milliseconds would be the solution I guess.
>>
>>65977497
It’s basically a GUI for front end but stays trueness to the box models and all that

Thanks

There’s a footer man
>>
Stop spending so much time on /g/.
>>
>>65978052
>tfw procrastination
>>
>>65977029
I don't work in silicon valley. I pay don't pay much taxes on that 160k unlike you fucks
>>
File: 1526526721773.jpg (80 KB, 378x567)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>65978267
but you live in USA right?
>>
File: Snapchat-1894755308.jpg (767 KB, 1920x1080)
767 KB
767 KB JPG
>first tech job @ Digital marketing agency editing premium WordPress themes with Visual Composer. Only use a little basic CSS here and there to fix things.
>Company shuts down abruptly.
>No hard feelings, boss was cool, learned some stuff and they let me keep the 2011 MBP they issued me for a work computer

>now unemployed
>Only know html, css (nothing fancy like animations or SVGs or CSS grid/Flexbox or any frameworks) and have some Wordpress experience + on-page SEO experience
>Upgraded MBP 2011 with 16gb ram and 120gb SSD. Runs great
>Have a higher-end Chromebook running Linux as well (Acer c910 w/ i5 processor)
>Currently learning more CSS every day by practicing and gonna get some experience with bootstrap, Foundation (for responsive emails) and start learning some Javascript (I have Jon Dockett's HTML/CSS + JS/Jquery books + paperback editions of You Don't Know JS).

Well. I guess I'm prepared to learn, apply and try this tech field shit again. I really enjoy it but it sucks not working in it because getting an opportunity is really hard because it's so competitive. Hopefully my work experience + some extra CSS skills & some basic JS skills will get me into an internship.
>>
>>65978379
good luck :D
>>
>>65978375
Yeah, but I'm probably saving at least 25k on taxes and housing just by not living in SV. You guys shouldn't knock on SV though. Just walking your dog around town can net you a reference at a big company if you live down there.
>>
>>65977663
You need to send it.
return res.status(200).json(usuario);

That might return the promise though.
>>
ive seen people say that node servers should have nginx as a reverse proxy, but go servers don't need it, why is that?
>>
>>65975937
I've found the non-white person.
>>
Using node and express with a route like this so I can pass in a variable amount of options to the route:
route.get("/:optional?*", function(req, res) {
console.log(req.params[0]);
});

Problem is that the first character in req.params[0] has been trimmed, so if I pass in
192.168.1.2:3000/route/options/abc/options2/def

as the URL, then this is output to the console:
ptions/abc/options2/def

Is this a bug in node or express?
>>
>>65975937
>decent with people.
I wish I had this perk. Either I talk too much to people and they use it against me or I don't talk at all and they start looking at me weird.
>>
>>65980178
>Is this a bug in node or express
I have not written anything in express, but your regular expression seems to not match what you want.

if you want a variable number of options, why not define two routes??

/route/options/abc

/route/options/abc/def

Actually, I would just separate the options with a comma if the data allowed it, or use GET query params.
>>
>>65980322 (continued)
Also I think its good to limit the number of parameters in a URL, or else you open your server up to super long urls that dont really have meaning.

You should be able to understand what a URL is / does by looking at the URL within reason. This helps when you later look at the webserver logs.
>>
>>65980178
How are you getting the path parameters?
>>
>>65980045
Don't think I made myself clear.

This >>65977663 is a middleware that puts a user object in the request if it finds it by decoding the JWT token sent in the Auth headers

After initializing passport and running that function, I just do this

router.get("/whatever", passport.authenticate("jwt", { session: false }), watheverController);

You need to have a valid token if you want to get into this route, but if you do, you can access the user object by doing req.user. The thing is, that I never defined it as "user", instead I made a const called "usuario" in that piece of code I posted above.
>>
>>65980363
According to this it should be returned in a POJO?
https://expressjs.com/en/guide/routing.html#route-parameters

I wonder what they get if they just console.log(req.params)
>>
Is it legal to teach someone web development in exchange for blowjobs?

What if it's like "I'll teach you how to give blowjobs and develop webpages for free!"
>>
>>65980322
Because I want to be able to specify options in any order, or not at all, and don't want to specify routes in every combination that may occur. Probably the wrong way to go about making a REST API, but it's how I went about building my first one in PHP for learning purposes and want to compare node, PHP and vert.x performance, and not have to redo all the client side javascript. I guess it would be faster having fixed routes and not parsing options strings though.

>>65980363
By doing req.params[0]. There is also a second parameter in req.params[1] as revealed by Object.keys(req.params) but it returns undefined.

>>65980416
console.log(req.params) just returns [object Object]
>>
>>65959028
Start your own startup and find a cofounder that understands you

There you go a solo programming job

Also make sure all the business shit is done by him and you can take all the programming and tech stuff.
>>
>>65980544
nvm, if I specify my route like so
route.get("/?*", function(req, res) {
});

instead of like this:
route.get("/:optional?*", function(req, res) {
});

req.params[0] returns everything without trimming the first character of the param string.
>>
are all 'senior' level developers code complete fucking trash? like some of these no life old fucks actually work nights and weekends and i see their code and its like how the fuck did this trash take you that long? its like, 'oh well it works this one time so fuck going back and trying to optimize / clean up the code to be more readable PUSH IT AND MAKE A PULL REQUEST I GOT KIDS TO FEED
>>
>tfw brainlet
>tfw just want a webdev job that pays around 50k-60k and just live life

>kind of know js/html/css/php but cant for the life of me figure out how to put it all together

>need to use drupal cms and cant figure out how to do literally anything

>everything seems to daunting and complex

Is it possible to just learn a mean stack (with angular2 not 1) and just find a job that focuses on easier stuff like that? Or should i tell my employer i cant figure out how to use drupal and just quit?
>>
File: smug hobbit.jpg (43 KB, 411x418)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>65966297
>right to left
>>
>>65980730
Everything is possible.
>>
>>65980730
>want a webdev job that pays around 50k-60k and just live life

No you don't. It's annoying. You get a car and house and bam now you're broke again.
>>
>>65980730
How the fuck did you get hired if you can't even connect a server and a client to serve web pages?
how about leave out the meme frameworks and figure out how to tie a basic front and back-end together first.
>>
>>65980730
>boomer getting into programming for a middle class income
go become a plumber it pays better
>>
>>65980911
>You get a car and house and bam now you're broke again.
>falling for those tricks
>>
>>65980911

rent and buy a cheap car? I make 60k and have a 2001 accord and rent an affordable apartment
>>
>>65980942
...are you going to have that 2001 accord forever? You never going to own a house even though the payments are barely more than an apartment?
>>
>>65980942
living the misery
>>
>>65980953
when the 2001 dies down just get another 4k car and use it for another 10 years. you don't have to buy a new car at msrp
>>
>>65980920

The old dev left and i guess i am good at my current job so they offered it to me, i accepted, and then tried to learn how to program.

We use drupal and i cant figure out how everything works, and when i check the docs there are literally 1,000 pages and I dont know even where to start.
>>
>>65980953

its not better to own a home just because the monthly payments are about the same as a apartment. if you pay 1k in rent you typically only committed to paying that for .5 - 2 years. if you buy a 200k house and have 1k monthly mortgage guess what you are locked into that for 16.6 years, not including interest. also have fun not being able to move across states to get a higher salary.

buying a house only seems worth it if you have enough saved up you nearly own it and can become a landlord and sublease it out

i know this is offtopic but just wanted to rant about how a lot of people buy homes cause they think they can afford them
>>
>>65980937
What tricks? Not wanting to drive a shitty car around and not wanting to hear your apartment neighbors take a dump?

or should I go live in the methhead apartments?

Hell no. I heard gunshots at least once a week when I did that. Made me feel like I was back in afghanistan. The gas station across the street was robbed at least once a month. I'm going to live middle-class to get away from the crime and shitty people. If you want to live like a complete peasant your whole life and horde money like a retarded dragon then have fun with that.
>>
>>65981038
>for 16.6 years, not including interest. also have fun not being able to move across states to get a higher salary.
You don't know real-estate. You hire a management company and rent the house out. Someone PAYS your mortgage and at the end of it you have a house and plot of land that greatly increased in value.

If you're moving for a much greater salary then paying the mortgage those few months just feels like you are at your old salary.
>>
>>65981022
is there something specific you are having trouble with understanding? skimming over the doc, it looks pretty simple and CMS's are usually made for babbys who can't dev.
Look up a drupal tutorial and follow along with it to get familiar with the environment.
>>
>>65981022
Get a udemy course on drupal. You don't want to learn something like that through documentation.
>>
show me php/mysql the best recources books titles.
i am greed to learn
>>
>>65981022
>The old dev left and i guess i am good at my current job so they offered it to me, i accepted, and then tried to learn how to program.
Your company is probably dying. They promoted you into the role because they can't afford to hire someone who has the qualifications.
Now, you still do your own job as well, right?
>>
>>65981223
>Now, you still do your own job as well, right?

I do, but they are going to hire my replacement.

My company isn't dying but i am sure they are trying to save any amount of money they can, i believe i heard the only reason they hired the old dev was because he was the only one who when hearing the salary didn't just laugh at them and walk away.

I live in a small "city" (~30k people) in a shitty state. It is very hard to attract good talent in general much less skilled programmers, which is why they probably offered me the job and just hoped id figure out how to do it by myself.
>>
>>65981535
Where at and what does it pay? I'm a dev in a shitty state in a town with 19k people and there is no other dev jobs here. I moved here for this job. I want OUT
>>
>>65981535
>I do, but they are going to hire my replacement.
Any day now.

Everything you say makes me think that that company is doomed. But hey, if it's working for you then whatever, do it for as long as its there and learn some things. If nothing else, at least you'll get to learn programming and be paid for it. See if they'll assist you in doing a part-time CS degree or something.
>>
>>65981650

It is one of the poorest whitest states, and i make about 40k.

>>65981824
Naw they are.

The problem is i can't find any training for drupal hardly anywhere, i searched udemy and it is just frontend stuff made with the GUI. Also all the instructors are indian.
>>
>>65980414
No one?
>>
>>65982081
midwest?

I think poor and white and I think Montana. Oklahoma is pretty poor and white too, but not as white as the midwest.
>>
>>65982091
I don't even understand your question but I suspect that it could be answered by a careful reading of the Passport documentation.
>>
>>65982081
>The problem is i can't find any training for drupal hardly anywhere
https://www.drupal.org/developers

How about the developer's guide?
>>
>>65982150
I've been reading the docs and no they don't answer that. My guess is that the strategy function puts the key name automatically.
>>
>>65982159

Like i said, i am a brainlet. If you click on that guy there is 1,000 different pages and no videos.

I have something wrong in my head or something because i cant learn stuff that way. There is no structure, and i am someone who needs it to learn.
>>
>>65982081
https://www.lynda.com/Drupal-training-tutorials/186-0.html
>>
What's a good resource to learn algorithms?
>>
If I started a "how to webdev" series on twitch, would you fags watch? I quit streaming games, but I still have all of the shit because I do youtube. Currently making a udemy course on jamstack with gatsby.

I'm thinking of going from start to finish HTML/css, to js, then to PHP AND MYSQL BECAUSE YOU GUYS LOVE IT, then revisiting and doing the MERN stack and some react native for mobile dev.
>>
>>65982281
no
>>
>>65982287
I was thinking of hosting competitions once a month. Like at the start of the month I give you a topic to make a website about. The winner gets a 500 dollar amazon giftcard.
>>
Is there a CMS or framework for websites that work like treehouse or lydia? Courses, online tests, student and teacher logins, etc..
>>
>>65982314
Not that I know of. Seems complicated.

Make a CMS for restaraunts that provides a tracker like the Dominos tracker.

Even easier, make a CMS for churches. They have a shit ton of money to throw around. I know a guy that makes millions a year doing this and his CMS is shitty and was wrote about a decade ago.
>>
>>65982338
by millions I mean 3 and a half million. You sell it and host it yearly. He's got one designer to make themes and 12 salesmen. 1 support staff. 3 programmers and one is the lead.
>>
>>65982281
If you did Drupal, I know one anon that would watch.

inb4
> it's too hard to sign up to this, can you guys find me a free tutorial video on youtube because the search function confuses me
>>
>>65982314
Moodle maybe?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.