[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is it possible to install Arch Linux (or any other system really) on the USB you used to boot the system on? I don't want to overwrite the system that's already on the computer itself.
>>
>>66343866
If youre asking if it's possible to create an arch live USB then yes it is possible.
>>
>>66343879
On the USB you used to boot the system in the first place?
>>
>>66343886
you mean / file systems installed onto usb and then boot from it? if so then yeah
>>
>>66343866
Of course I have presently an USB like that it boots practically everywhere but to work on older pc you need to add boot flag to partition. Then install anything on it like on a regular computer it's just different storage and Linux is very mobile /hardware independent
>>
>>66343866
Just remember that if boot fails and grub is working try to use fallback initramfs then replace regular one with it if it works. It's a matter of drivers for storage mostly
>>
yes
>>
>>66343886
no because the compressed file system (squashfs) image on the usb stick is not writable when booted live.
>>
>>66345427
and?
>>
>>66343866
Just use your regular os as live system and do the arch install on the usbstick instead of a harddrive. If you have, for example, debian, you can easily follow the instructions for installing from an alien host
>>
>>66345444
so any changes you make on the live usb while booted will be lost on reboot. the / partition on live usb is an unionfs (or similar) between ram and the uncompressed aquashfs image. if you want to customize the live usb then you have to make your own, just check the arch wiki there certainly is an article explaining it all.

t. did my own LFS based live usb
>>
>>66343866
Can be done, but I tend to prefer other options:
Virtualization. Boot your normal OS, then have a virtualization program boot the ISO in a VM that has access to your (empty) USB drive as well as to the internet. From there, install as normal.
GRUB. You can configure GRUB to boot an ISO you have on your SSD/HDD. There are guides for this.
>>
>>66345465
op is asking if it's possible to install arch from and to the same usb drive used to run a livecd
this is possible, it just requires a bit of extra work
namely you can do this;
1. boot with "break=postmount" to drop to an initramfs shell after it mounts new_root
2. unmount new_root and the overlay tmpfs mount (leave the livecd and squashfs file mounted for now)
3. mount a tmpfs onto new_root, set it's size to fit the uncompressed squashfs contents
4. copy the squashfs mount contents into new_root
5. unmount the squashfs file and livecd (remember to detach the loop device)
6. exit to continue boot
there, now it's running entirely from a ramdisk, you can remove/format/install to the flash drive you just booted from

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.