[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1534963689824.gif (1.81 MB, 500x500)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
Is unRAID any good?
>>
No, why the fuck would you want to pay for a """professional""" RAID solution that doesn't even checksum your files
>>
>>68017854
tell me more
>>
>>68017504
yeah, linustechtips loves it. remember to use an ssd as a cache drive.
>>
>>68018203
Competent RAID solutions checksum the data on your drives so they can detect data corruption during a scrub, a read or a write. They'll automatically restore correct data from parity information.

unRAID doesn't checksum.
>>
>>68018516
>>68018203
If you want good RAID then use ZFS, or for good RAID emulation SnapRAID. Both are free and extremely capable.

unRAID is only going to protect you from disk failures. It does absolutely nothing for silent data corruption and might as well be garbage given the fact that you have to pay for it whereas you don't for ZFS, btrfs or SnapRAID. If you want unRAID's garbage then that sort of limited functionality is also available for free with mdadm.
>>
>>68018421
LTT is a fucking moron. No-one intelligent would ever put their business' lifeline in unRAID's hands.
>>
>>68018567
and yet he does...
>>
>>68018548
ZFS is easy to fuck up. See all the horror stories on /r/datahoarder.
>>
>>68018928
>LTT is a fucking moron.
Hmm, I wonder why that is.

>>68018941
Just because people are retarded doesn't mean ZFS is bad. ZFS is great and those people would lose data anyway.

Please link me a thread though, I want to see.
>>
well, what should I do instead of unraid?
>>
>>68019585
Use SnapRAID or ZFS. Or go full YOLO and use btrfs.
>>
File: unraid.png (555 KB, 1143x3896)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
The webpage explains that it's an OS that literally everyone should be using, with no downsides, but fails to explain what it fucking does. This looks distinctly like a meme op
>https://unraid.net/what-is-unraid
>fucking 404
are you kidding
>>
Should I wait for 7nm cpu's?
Im gonna put it with few nvme drives
>>
File: chovy_sleepy_studier.png (702 KB, 1271x968)
702 KB
702 KB PNG
>>68020178
Maybe by the time 7nm releases NVMe will take a drop in price
Unless you have the SSDs already, in which case what the fuck ya doing fampai

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.