[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

How does one achieve a noisy gradient?
>>
File: IMG_2165.png (1.48 MB, 859x1109)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
maybe not quite this intense, but another example
>>
learn how to google. this took me less than a minute to find - read through the comments section for tutorials at https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/82074/research-grainy-noisy-gradient
>>
Make a gradient, turn it into smart layer, filter > add noise
>>
>>320004
Why do you make it a smart layer?
>>
>>320014
So you can remove the noise and change it if you're not happy with how it looks later.
>>
>>320029
Ohhh ye good idea. I have got into the habit of using snapshots and duplicates and ive pretty much neglected the smart layers, i should try use them more often
>>
make a gradient, then vibrate your screen until it looks noisy.
>>
>>320053
No no, just vibrate your head until it looks noisy
>>
>>320053
Broke my computer monitor. 10/10
>>
File: aesthetics.jpg (2.46 MB, 2000x2400)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
Used OP as inspiration for this
Didn't even have to look it up
>>
Gosh darn, that grain textures/gradients look so good on a milky white background
>>
>>320157
nice. although the pyramid feels like it's falling over to left due to visual balance.
>>
>>320159
Interesting. I don't get that impression at all. I do however if I mirror the image. Then it looks like it's gonna fall over to the right.
>>
>>320165
the angle of bottom slope for the smaller triangle seems to cause the sense of imbalance. you can try fiddling around with it making it in less sharp angle while balancing out size of the main triangle perhaps.

maybe it's all due to you trying to have a stylized fully frontal view of pyramid while trying to make it have spatial depth using the smaller triangle, so it only kind of imitates real linear perspective, while it's really not so that constitutes to it feeling a little 'off'. if the bottom of the large triangle was in an angle it would resemble linear 3d perspective and would maybe work a little better.

so there are variants to fix this, just fuck around if you feel like it.
>>
File: aesthetics3.jpg (2.35 MB, 2000x2400)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>320170
I've been fiddling around with stuff for some time and this is what I came up with. As I said I only noticed the
error in perspective after mirroring the pyramid so I just kept it that way. I wanted to maintain the isometric
perspective because a more realistic approach didn't fit here but I think this is a whole lot more visually pleasing.
>>
>>320173
yes, i agree that isometric perspective is a reasonable choice for the somewhat symbolistic stylistic sake. this looks better to me, more 'stable'. that mirroring thing i think it largely constitutes of how we're used to reading text from left to right, so it affects lots of people perception of visual balance.
>>
Mask anything in any way you want. The end.
>>
>>319948
Create gradient, then add noise.
Quality post
>>
>>320157
it's too obviously a photoshop filter. OPs images look more like particles.
>>
File: suck my ass.jpg (2.17 MB, 1606x1712)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
made in illustrator
>>
Those using the noise filter are FUCKING RETARDED. The noise is a consistent pattern at both sides of the gradient. That’s not the intended look. It’s supposed to look like dots of paint that get more sparse. Not the same amount of dots that change color. Try again morons.
>>
File: 1503471587251.png (5.2 MB, 3000x3000)
5.2 MB
5.2 MB PNG
>>321703
how about this?
>>
>>321720
No, because you’re just reducing the opacity of the noise. The particles of color need to DISPERSE. YOU FUCKING RETARD.
>>
File: 1477769876812.png (17 KB, 3000x3000)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>321721
how about this
>>
>>320157
Who set the type, Stevie Wonder?
>>
>>321724
Nice job at trying to deflect. If you can’t achieve the look, just say you can’t. All the RETARDS saying “lel took me two minutes” well guess what, you did it wrong.

And you are just trying to meme around. You can’t do it. It’s obviously not as easy as all the RETARDS in this thread say it is, because THEY CANT ACTUALLY DO IT.
>>
File: 1483399581131.png (21 KB, 112x112)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>321736
you ever step back for a second and think "hes probably making fun of me I should stop sperging"
>>
>>321751
No shit that's what he's doing. It's called deflection.
>>
>>321614
Not a quality post
>>
>>320157
the type in this is fucking atrocious
>>
>>320173
I think the pyramid shouldn't be centered based on its top point but by its bottom.
>>
File: grain.jpg (586 KB, 884x818)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
After about 8 seconds In Photoshop

Layer>Layer style>Gradient overlay
then
Filter>Artistic>Film Grain
>>
>>321949
we have another FUCKING RETARD, try again
>>
>>321703
>>321721
>>321953
>>321736

Suck a dick and choke to death you miserable cunt.
>>
File: mn.png (325 KB, 600x800)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
how about 1-bit layers?
>>
>>321953
It's literally what you were asking for you miserable faggot
>>
>>319948
gradient + add noise
>>
>>321996
you're blind. Every one of the posts in this thread show a gradient with the same texture throughout. The first and second image show the specs of getting further away from each other. Everyone's "solution" is shit. They look obviously like a photoshop filter; if you make something where you can tell which photoshop filter you used, you failed. The original images look like actual particles.

Pathetic
>>
>>322040
You asked for "a noisy gradient" and you got a noisy gradient.

If you wanted a more specific result you should have specified that in the OP. The difference between what you seem to want and what people are posting is subtle and your reaction is incredibly immature. I would also suggest finding a community of graphic designers who take this more seriously if you're that serious about your results. 4chan is not the place for you apparently. Also If you're over the age of 18 I suggest you go and see a therapist for your anger issues.

Pathetic.
>>
>>319949
Find a photoshop brush that is intended to look like paint splatter
>>
>>322041
No, you are
>>
Why has no one suggested just changing the blending mode to "dissolve" with the gradient tool selected?
>>
>>322040
paper texture and brush, this is a retarded thread
>>
>>321958
bretty ghud
>>
>>320014
you really aren't ready for this stage if you have to ask that

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.