[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hello, /g/ here.

I'm a Software Engineer and I'm trying to maintain a status in my local community, which is a very "tech" city. For this, I'd like to start blogging. I tried to look around for free templates to make myself a website but all this flat stuff doesn't fit my needs. I have the reputation to be very conservative in terms of tech, and this has developed to some kind of quality seal on my work over the years, and I'd like to have a website which looks like that. A little old-fashioned, remembering the days before everything was material, and yet fully usable on any kind of modern device.

What is the best approach to find a designer who could do this for me? Where can I find a freelancer to do this and how much money should I calculate to get a nice design for my future blog? (Should be delivered as an image, I would program it myself I guess).

Pic semi-related, the GNU website. I like the way it looks a lot, unironically
>>
>>321752
Let me get this straight: You are a Software Engineer, yet you are conservative in terms of tech and that is your quality seal?

Do you favor perl over python, C over Rust, terminal over GUI? What else does that statement mean? Are you in favour of static files, manual configuration instead of the usual "windows needs to be 40GB big in order to fit any size"? Can you provide more information?
In what way are you conversative?

I like modern design. But I do not like webpages that do not work. Many pages do not work and many designers do not realize their usability mistakes.

Therefore: I do like that you point us to the GNU website. Maybe you should take a look at classic-newspaperesque templates.

For example: http://www.free-css.com/free-css-templates/page109/newstheme

I cannot tell you how to find a designer.

But please tell your designer to remove everything that you do not need. I have seen so many pages that have facebook, twitter, rss links, a navigation with links to "news" or links to "home". Think about that stuff, you do not need it. It's stupid.

>tl;dr newspaper templates, maybe?
>>
>>321752
You're a fucking larping faggot
>>
>>321759
>Let me get this straight: You are a Software Engineer, yet you are conservative in terms of tech and that is your quality seal?
>Do you favor perl over python, C over Rust, terminal over GUI? What else does that statement mean? Are you in favour of static files, manual configuration instead of the usual "windows needs to be 40GB big in order to fit any size"? Can you provide more information?
>In what way are you conversative?

I understand that explaining my career in two sentences might be a little difficult. I was trying to explain a little on "why" I want to maintain a certain image since just coming here and saying "HURR I don't like flat stuff" sounds more like a random sexual preference than a personal image decision.

But you more or less got it. Manual configuration over 40 GB of UIs, Rather writing two more lines myself rather than using some library which has been compiled in some teenage guys basement and so on. I'm trying hard to maintain this image locally because it is in fact what I believe. I do not like the way development is derailing, and I try to make a point with my clients. I need to explain why something takes me a week and someone else a day and why my product is more maintainable, secure, performing and probably cheaper in the long run. And it's honestly not a marketing gag to artificially generate more billable hours but what I believe. Also, it's working. I'm not rich but I don't make less than the average dev.

Hope that helps to understand what I'm looking for?

>>321759
>>tl;dr newspaper templates, maybe?

That goes in the right direction, thanks for the hint, now I can search more stuff.
>>
>>321752
whats your email i have a friend who can help you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.