[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 65 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

This is without a doubt the shittiest, crappiest and insulting logo design I’ve ever seen. There is no effort in it, it’s a fucking rectangle and a circle. It’s what someone who is just learning AI would do. It’s repulsive.
>>
NO.

It's the rebirth of tradition.
>>
Donald Trump
>>
File: hp_mb_logo.gif (6 KB, 574x260)
6 KB
6 KB GIF
>>325659
Aaand minimalism claims yet another victim.
>>
>>325668

HP’s is laughably bad just like the company... looks like “BP”
>>
File: oculus.jpg (58 KB, 800x600)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
I really do hope that people will get sick of this minimalism meme. Speaking of >>322905
>How to get away with shit like this?
>>
>old one has nothing to do with the business, is not even a good stylized initial since it's honestly closer to D, just looks like an illustration of what happens when you try to move a window while Windows 95 is locked up
>new one is an unambiguous P that's also an illustration of putting a coin into a slot, how small donations and entertainment microtransactions have traditionally been done
not sure if op is a dumb duckling or habitually mad, but they're definitely clueless here
>>
>>325670
>hurr shape of logo looks exactly like the profile of the physical device used
>has same shape of first letter of company name
>lol just a stupid offset circle I couldn't adapt to a design without using shitty text

How terrible.

Get a fucking job and quit criticizing basic shit. OP has a lot more of a point that you do. Simplifying something over complicated is much better than talking shit about something for no reason other than you think you could do better despite failing to prove otherwise

back to /gd/ fuck boy. you're more at home with Gimp vs PS. Your edges have no value here
>>
>>325671
Then give it enough detail where it’s more noticeable. Make it more like a coin, for example. Again, it being literally two shapes is fucking lazy.The original logo isn’t perfect by any stretch, but at least there was some degree of effort when they made it.
>>
>>325675
3/7
>>
File: plan-b-skateboards.png (17 KB, 800x800)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>325659
>insulting logo
They tried to jack the logo of a legend in skateboarding
>>
>>325668
I dont know but I like it. The old one was good, but the new one looks like more unique
>>
>>325750

You got shit taste
>>
They both look bad to me but it’s an improvement over that shitty swirl. Theyre not a 60s utility company.
>>
is it supposed to look like a coin slot?
>>
>>325684
this
I had no idea it was a coin. Maybe other people have orange coins or something like that, but I've only seen silver/golden ones.
Moreover, regarding >>325671
>how small donations and entertainment microtransactions have traditionally been done
I don't quite get this part. I think of a coke machine or some coin-op entertainment when I see this. Or, I dunno, a piggy bank. It's kind of related but far from my idea of supporting an artist
>>
>>325788
>no copper coins
where the shit are you from? it's not the US or canada (pennies), europe (1, 2, and 5 cent), uk (1p and 2p), japan (\10), china (5 jiao). even india has the brass 5-rupee which tarnishes brown.
>>
>>325789
Russia. We do have brass coins but they have golden tint, not orange. We used to have copper coins that were rust orange, but that was way long ago.
>>
>>325790
Ahh. I suppose it makes sense that the logo doesn't resonate for you, between no copper coins and I'm guessing a lack of a cultural tradition of donation boxes or busking. But they're all very common things across most of the world that might be using Patreon.
>>
>>325791
Yeah, but I mean even with donation boxes, the coin doesn't usually go to the side, does it? Same with busking—I'd imagine an open guitar case near an artist, not some sort of box with a whole on the side. As I said, this only gives me coin-op/vending machine vibe.
Plus, copper is usually for smaller coins, right? Usually cents, I think. I mean, it's still a metaphor for money alright, but it's a bit confusing. AFAIK Patreon is basically like monthly subscriptions, and these don't go for less than a few bucks. Plus, I'm not sure the creators do it "for spare change".
>>
File: oreimo14-3.jpg (80 KB, 800x440)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>325668
>>325750
Looks nice to me too. Reminds me of a peak meter and the VAIO logo without the angles.
>>
>>325736
I've always thought this was pretty shit too
>>
>>325668
not like it was very good to begin with
>>
>>325659
>>325668
>>325670
Here's a good example of minimalism, just to prove that it can be done well.
This is clearly a window, unlike the old logo
>>
>>326141
The old logo looked like a window too, How did no one understand that?
>>
>>325659
>the old one was great
>picrelated
>>
>>325668
If I saw this logo I would literally have no idea that it's HP.
>>
>>325659
Old one was fine, new one is too vintage and artistic for me.
>>
>>326141
>sees the window in a new logo
>didn't see the window in the old logo
>>
>>326143

Not the guy who said that but to be fair the Windows 10 logo is much better than XP / 95 / Vista
>>
>>326213
I think both were average, to be honest
The new one is too bland, and what does that perspective mean anyway? I don't really know. Frankly, I liked the wavy lines of the old one. At least that's less generic than 4 squares
>>
>>326221
The new logo kinda represents Metro tiles from Windows 8 because that's the time the logo got redesigned.

Then they got rid of pushing tiles because people hated them.
>>
>>326143
it looked like a fucking flag dude
>>
>>326773
Yeah I mean I got that, but did those tiles ever rotate? Don't think they did.
>>
Google I/O
>>
>>326805
silly google, you can't divide by 0
>>
>>325736
and then 21-Pilots also stole the idea, more subtly but kept near the same color scheme
>>
File: beats_by_dre_logo.png (38 KB, 894x894)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>326149
The one on the right tho.
>>
>>326807
that's what they want you to think
>>
>>325668
Only if they add a little bit of curve to resemble h and p
>>
File: CvJLu3iWIAAU-Pk.jpg (11 KB, 700x700)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>325668
Minimalism is nothing new. This was designed for MIT in 1962.

>>326172
In what scenario would you see this logo without already being familiar with what they do? The only place you're going to see this is stamped on their products, on their website which you will have navigated to yourself and in commercials that mention the brand name over and over. HP is a big company. Everyone knows who they are so they're able to pull this off.

What people don't get is that logos don't have to have any intrinsic meaning or look like anything in and of themselves. The meaning comes from the association with the brand by consumers through the use of their products or through marketing.

Do you think the Nike tick is a good piece of logo design? Doesn't matter because you already associate it with all the things Nike produces so it's done its job.
>>
>>326982
>What people don't get is that logos don't have to have any intrinsic meaning or look like anything in and of themselves. The meaning comes from the association with the brand by consumers through the use of their products or through marketing.

Fucking thank you, so tired of all the "waaah it doesn't look literally like the product shit logo" bullshit that passes as critique these days.
>>
File: laptop-brands.jpg (50 KB, 1200x395)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>326982
I never implied otherwise. I was referring to the recent explosion of hyper-minimalism (for lack of better word). Old minimalism was reducing for the sake of focus and getting rid of clutter. New minimalism is reducing for the sake of the trends.
> The only place you're going to see this is stamped on their products, on their website which you will have navigated to yourself and in commercials that mention the brand name over and over.
The same can be said of almost any product logo. And what you say basically implies, "it's fine because it doesn't matter what the logo is".
If I didn't know that's HP's new logo, I simply wouldn't know what company it belonged to. Even if it was stamped on their products, I would need to guess it's HP. So much for brand recognition, memorability, associations, etc etc. What is it associated with, again? With their old logo, mostly. Then maybe it's good as a logo for their old logo.
Oh, and by the way, let's take a look at picrelated. Only one company from here doesn't have text on their logo, and it's Apple (because they're Apple). But at least their logo isn't a bunch of stripes, that could be read as 'liji', 'bp', or many other words.
>>
>>326141
yeah, it's clearly a window, but it also looks like bland shit.
>>
>>326149
>>326829
the one on the left tho
>>
>>326797
On Windows Phone they actually kinda did... or do?

>>325668
This one's nice.
>>
>>325659
it's a coin and that hole where coins go
>>
File: vermelho-logo.jpg (25 KB, 600x480)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>325668
While looks interesting it means nothing really, but I can see what they had on their head when doing this shit.
>>
File: IMG_3112.jpg (3.65 MB, 1233x4254)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
>>325660
NO
>>
>>329522
is this a cringe thread
>>
>>329522
I actually tracked the video he's ranting about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxutY7ss1v4
wtf this is just some innocent buzzfeed shit
>>
>>325659
>>
>>329522
>was in the thread as it happened
>argued with the guy myself

Feels good to be part of 4chan history.
>>
>>325659
this is utter shit. i want to be paid for it so bad.
>>
>>326818
21 pilots? The band? how did they steal the plan B logo, isnt their logo just fuckin |-/ ?
>>
File: lissitzky.jpg (87 KB, 612x809)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
if you look at russian constructivism, 9 out of 10 times there's a red circle and black line. i stole the same technique for half my work in 1st year of uni
>>
>>325783
good eye, Im pretty sure this has to be the case. Im sure they spent a crap load for it, That being said Im sure there is a legit reason for the look. I honestly dig it. Simple, but memorable.
>>
>>326982
Boom! solid points. You obviously know your stuff
>>
File: HPsauce.png (10 KB, 220x209)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>327005
>it's fine because it doesn't matter what the logo is
this is true. the logo is a signature, it's function is to be authoritative and not necisarily original. do you know how steve jobs came up with the name apple? he liked them. that's how arbitrary logos & symbols should be.
>>
>>325660
this
>>
The minimalism of this logo is not the problem. The problem is that it looks like dogshit for what it's trying to represent.
>>
>>325659
I think the colors, proportions and everything on that logo suck. They maybe did it for the animation? Patreon has a nice animation for the logo now.
>>
>>325671
The new one looks like shit. Unambiguous my ass
>>
File: patreon xd.png (11 KB, 661x656)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Just made a better Patreon logo in 1 minute
>>
>>330288
no you didn't. fucking garbage proportions.
>>
>>330288
>r
>>
>>325668
boipucci?
>>
>>330330
suck dik
>>
>>325659
I hate it too. At least you can do a nice swishy transition from the logo to the wordmark.
>>325668
It's only going to be used on their premium laptops. Probably to win over Mac users or something.
>>
File: fanta.jpg (79 KB, 643x297)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
One of the fucking worst, I hate it so much.
>>
File: Rankin-bass-1969.jpg (92 KB, 1600x1266)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>325736
... who stole its logo from a shitty christmas movie studio
>>
>>330595
well, it matches the shitty soft drink to the letter
>>
>>329928
russian Constructivism / avant-garde is fascinating

https://vimeo.com/11383150

In our translation this documentary is called "Gustav Klutsis. The wrong Latvian". He was drafted in the Riflemen Division who later switched from Czarist to Bolshevik side and since after them overthrowing the Czar, Klutsis instead of returning to the newly established sovereign Republic of Latvia, stayed in Russia, loyal to the Reds and kept committing his artist / designer career. For a while he was a tutor in Vhutemas school that was Russian equivalent to Bauhaus.

tl;dr - Early Russian Modernists got the bullet. Fin.
>>
>>325659
It's a coin and a slot, you retard.
>>
>>330761
Yeah... Somehow reminds me logo one of the polish banks PKO (in english: General Savings Bank).
>>
>>325659
I thought this was a joke. How I wish that it was
>>
>>325668
I thought it said "logo"
>>
>>331278
thanks had a good laugh
"the logo subtly communicates it's a logo"—10/10 AIGA hall of fame
>>
>>325659

Japan called.
Something about their flag...
>>
>>331293
yeah how do you get out of bed without being triggered by all the circles and circles in other things that are totally unrelated.

must be hard
>>
>2018
>going modernist

Pic related a real logo. Observe and learn Nubians...
>>
File: logo_001.png (43 KB, 966x580)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
This will be Patreon's next logo in a couple of years.
>>
File: Antifalibans.png (55 KB, 1215x449)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>331418
>patreon
>not matreon

Implying patriarchy will be around in next couple of years.
>>
>>331413
That's not a logo, it's a crest.

Old-timey shit like that was overcomplicated on purpose, because it made it harder for some peasant to forge.
>>
>>330595
but anon now it taste funny
>>
>>330330
He said better, not best, faggot
>>
File: Wm04798a.jpg (1.02 MB, 3261x1990)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>331478
>That's not a logo, it's a crest.

It's like saying Rolling Stones logo is not a logo, it's a tongue.

We need more renaissance complexity.
>>
>>331534
>We need more renaissance complexity.
t. design authority

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.