[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I have a question /gd/ I've just bought a typeface off of a designer on Instagram for $30. He's been developing it for the last couple months and announced its release a couple days a go, a long with its cheap price.

Can I now use this font for an EP cover that the artist is going to be selling on bandcamp/iTunes? The EP won't be put out by a label, it's very much bedroom music, basically a small digital release. Am I legally okay to use the typeface for a project like that?

Let's say that legally I have the right to use the font, is it still bad manners speaking from a designer to designer standpoint, to not ask permission or atleast mention the intention to the designer I bought the typeface off of?

Thanks, pic unrelated
>>
>>329963
If you bought it it's yours to do as you wish, at least that's how it should be, just read the license that came with the font
>>
>>329963
you're not paying to just look at it on your desktop Anon
>>
You have the typeface, and you have the font. They're separate things.

The font is the specific implementation of it in the computer, and is heavily protected by copyright, but only comes into play if you're doing something like embedding that actual ttf in an mkv or including a copy with a game. A license is often included with fonts letting you do more with them than copyright allows (like go ahead and include the ttf in a game, or install it on all of your computers, or share it with your whole office even if not beyond.) Without a licence you get the one ttf and can keep one active-use copy of it.

The typeface is the opposite. That's the visual design of the font, and it's protected by basically nothing unless the designer went for a design patent (expensive, relatively short-lasting, and rare; around 1,500 font design patents exist in the US.) You can do basically whatever you want with it up to and including redrawing it and putting that redraw up for sale.
Because of this, typeface designers often offer a discount in exchange for promises not to do particular things. The license included in your purchase agreement may include restrictions like on logo use, and you should check. But if it doesn't it's literally what you paid your $30 for.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.