[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/h/ - Hentai

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Wanting to learn how to draw hentai but don't have too much experience with drawing humans, whats the easiest style to start with?
>>
If you want to draw humans, draw realistic style. Do anatomy studies. It will help you in everything you want to do.
>>
File: 5tyghtik pvy.png (1.38 MB, 670x941)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>5194044
No other way other than starting with real people.
Old people are the best since they have the most visible landmarks.
Then work backwards to younger people.

Avoid manga tutorials and how-to-draw-manga books like the plague. You'll just get dumber.

You'll learn faster this way. It will take, about only half a year or two of studying and practice to get the bare bone fundamental to start sketching at least once every single day.

Once you think you've gotten the basic downs and major landmarks to heart, you can look to stylizing. Your learned skill will mix with the style you want.

When it comes to coloring, go nuts and pick whatever tutorial you can find on Pixiv or something.

If you start stylizing before learning anatomy, you'll become a tumblr artist.
>>
>>5194152
>>5194185
Thanks! Any advice helps. Was thinking about getting a anime drawing book but I'll take your advice
>>
File: 7197CAXwp1L.jpg (187 KB, 750x1062)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>5194251
Trust me on this. Anime books will teach you things you're either not ready for or teach you like a elementary schooler.
Then, there's books from more skilled artists books go over depth and perspective in so much detail, that you'll think you're studying for a math exam.

Pick up an anatomy book for artists, then one for animators.
(The animator book is for exaggeration and simplification and general overall presentation)

Get a sketch book or two, and draw people every day. If you don't have people to draw, draw nude models from CroquisCafe or something.
If you want random Japanese tips, follow palmie_oekaki on twitter or something.

The only anime artbooks I'd reccomend are the How to Draw Manga series from Japan focused on clothes, like "How to Draw Manga Maids and Miko." It has drawing of basic maids and miko from every direction, AND the maid on the cover is hot as fuck.

In short: When learning how to draw anime, working backward is faster and better than working forward.
Once you have the important details ingrained in your head, simplifying gets much easier the more you understand the body.
If you don't understand the body and try to work from something simple up, most of your time will be spent on trying to figure out why it doesn't look quite right, and you'll end up a tumblr artist.

Don't be a tumblr artist!
>>
File: example.png (322 KB, 962x1129)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>5194044
I agree with both previous posts. Want to add that once you want to draw from your head, try to remember to focus on VOLUME. Think of the simple basic 3-dimensional volumes that make up the body and construct the figure as simply and clearly as you can before going into detail. Once you start doing that you will realize that every step is an open question, and there is no one way to do it. Drawing is not a photo. IT is not about reaslism but expression and flow. Eveybody has a different approach, and the more practice you get, the more freedom you will have. Drawing is not easy, but here is the thing most people dont know, is that doing shitty drawings is totally part of everyone's process. Just dont worry if you're embarrassing yourself, keep drawing and after a few hours you'll be surprised how much better it's coming out, because your brain has to get into the groove of measuring things and imagining the whole picture at once.

Now here's some helpful resources that I use myself:
-First of all there's Pixiv, which has a live page that has people doing illustrations and drawing manga in real time. There are other sites like that out there but Pixiv has by far the best caliber talent.
-Then for practicing figures there are sites like SKETCHDAILY and LINE OF ACTION.

And of course just looking at art that you like and trying to figure out what the artist's thinking was.

But the most important thing is PRACTICE.

If art could be EXPLAINED it would be to easy. The real teacher is practice. You could tell someone what sushi is, just raw fish on rice, but that doesnt make them a sushi chef, you know what I mean? Fish on rice, yes, but does it TASTE GOOD.

There is an old Japanese movie called Ugetsu, where a potter stumbles into the mansion of a ghost princess. Trying to flatter him she says, all your works are so exquisite, what is your secret? And he says, there is no particular secret, just experience.
>>
>>5194044

Start with Fun with a Pencil by Loomis. Then move on to anatomy drawing. Some artists actually go so far as taking an actual class in human anatomy or kinesiology to understand structure and mechanics of movement.
>>
File: 1496763138827.jpg (158 KB, 960x720)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>5194391
Loomis is meme shit. Skip it and take real life drawing classes. Anatomy is a nice side thing but if you focus on life drawing you are always 10 steps ahead. Everything else is a supplement to this. It can be sort of hard to find classes, or easy, depending on where you live. Community collages usually have some, or find an artist's society and get in on that. If desperate, there are sometimes groups who just hire models, split the cost, and go from there. Instruction is great but just being there around better artists (who are not douchebags) is the end game.

If you are fucked and can't do this, or are just casual and don't care about getting good (say, just want to be a middling drawfriend) then you're stuck copying from textbooks that are meant for art students who are already practicing life drawing. Grey's anatomy is as useful as anything and is mandatory unless you plan to draw comic books and shit. and that's it. You will also be well served as a beginner to draw stationary objects (or at any skill level, masters still do this). Drawing is seeing and putting it on paper is incidental. You need a visual arsenal and you can't get that from books. Get a LARGE FORMAT sketchbook and draw your own hand or a friend's and do it 50 times. Anatomy books will help with this to a degree because you will know what to look for (which can speed things up but primarily, help you learn observation on your own).

Also people will piss and moan about this fact but all excellent, long-term artists copy shit. This includes classical painters in history, western an eastern animators, Loomis himself (I learned at a place he taught, from people he taught directly and will a wall full of his charcoals behind plexiglass). Also competent mangaka. Find something you like (not too complex) and just try to draw it. You will learn a whole fuckin' lot just seeing hands-on how they solved problems, you will develop muscle memory and so on. There is a reason Rembrandt did this.
>>
>>5196470
>don't care about getting good (say, just want to be a middling drawfriend)
I meant to follow this by clarifying that by not caring about getting good, I mean becoming a dedicated artist as opposed to just doing fun stuff once a month or something, and that it should go without saying that we have some 10/10 drawfriends around here. But you don't need to try to get to that level if you don't want to get that far into it. However you can get a lot farther than you expect a lot more easily as per the above post.
>>
File: rewt473463.jpg (333 KB, 1500x800)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>5196470
You can only get so far looking at references all day. If artists come across poses they can see, but not understand, the drawing will never look right.
By taking some time and studying anatomy, the artist can use their "visual arsenal" as an aid, and not a crutch.

Mangakas copy poses not because they're lazy, but because they have trouble visualizing the pose itself. Plenty of professional artist suffer from this, and of course they're going to cheat a bit whether it be from existing poses, figures, 3d, photos of themselves, etc.

I'm more inclined to say that studying muscle form and the skeleton helps much more than studying from life, but the two shouldn't be separated.
Stuff by Rey Bustos really help, and he makes it easy to understand simple muscle placement.

So, once an artist has all the mechanical skill, they can use any image as a reference.

If a drawfriend wants to be just a casual drawfriend, they can just learn gesture drawing, and repeat ad nauseam until someone asks if they have a tumblr.
>>
Real people is the best option, you will find your own style don't worry!
>>
>>5196470
>>5194391
>Loomis is meme shit.
No. It isn't. Loomis is a great reference, and also Cartoon Drawing by Preston Blair. Not everyone knows these names, but those who would cast aspersions have no idea what they are talking about.
>>
>>5196470
The problem is that loomis is an advanced book and noobies always try to tackle it unprepared. Then when they obviously don't learn anything they blame the book. Its not meme ahit. You just fucking suck and are not ready for it. Other than that you are right in recommening life drawing classes.
>>
>>5197384

Hi there, random Anon here just passing by.

What do you recommend as a good book before proceeding with Loomis? Life drawing is important, without a doubt, but I am curious for what you'd recommend.

Kind regards,

Anon.
>>
just look around in life, examine what manga/anime you consume, and just draw bro

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.