[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: hh-cover.jpg (14 KB, 220x220)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
What tier is this podcast?
Also, ITT: Good history podcasts
>>
>>3671425

Shit tier for accurate history and shit tier for entertainment unless you like the American style of documentaries.
>>
Great / 10
>>
>>3671425
The Yale courses on the dark ages and Hebrew Bible are both top tier. They're videos but you can use just the audio and lose literally nothing.
>>
>>3671432
Supporting reasons?
>>
I like his episode on the Anabaptist revolt in Munster.
>>
>>3671441
Thanks I'll check these out
>>3671432
t. Antifa
>>
>>3671432
I listened to the complete King of Kings the past few weeks while going to sleep and his voice is soothing for me and I actually found it a bit interesting. [spoiler]may be cuz I'm a persiaboo though [/spoiler]
>>
>>3671445
Its popular
>>
>>3671445

He had several inaccuracies in his WW1 one. The one I remember most was the sandwich meme with Princep and it bothered me so much I think about it to this day.
>>
>>3671425
It's good to listen to while training agility on runescape
>>
>>3671462
Just because something is popular doesnt make it automatically bad
>>
>>3671471

lmao autistic
>>
>>3671481

Yes, that is accurate. Unlike Carlin.
>>
>>3671473
Yeah it does
>>
What are some good history podcasts?
>>
>>3671471
Please, that is far less egregious than the death of Rasputin, which for nearly a century believed in this epic struggle where he never seemed to die. Only for post-soviet autopsies to come forth and show that in reality, they just took him into the basement, shot him once in the back of the head and he died instantly.
>>
>>3671537

Inaccuracies are bad no matter how severe they are.
>>
>>3671537
He said it was just a legend.
>>
>>3671546
Not if they help fuel a narrative at the time.
>>
>>3671550

>"It's okay to lie about facts if it's exciting!"

Really made me think...
>>
>>3671425
I listen to it while playing Warframe
The WWI series was really fun but I think the best so far was the story of Munster
>>
>>3671554
No it's ok to lie about facts if the lie furthers your political goals.
>>
>>3671554
He literally said it was a legend and he was telling it to show how Rasputin had attained mythic status.
>>
>>3671527
There aren't any. None if them are in depth enough and they are all full of fluff. In order to not fall into that description you would have to look at actual university lectures about specific topics like Roman military organization or Greek colonization of Sicily.
>>
>>3671425
It's shit
>>
This stays on page 1
>>
File: Byzantine_armor.jpg (58 KB, 461x615)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
I made a history podcast about the Byzantine empire during the 12th century thats pretty good, currently doing one about Timurlane.
https://soundcloud.com/user-917120732/sets/the-three-komnenos-a-history
>>
>>3671720
>thats pretty good
We'll be the judge of that you little faggot
>>
File: podcast tiers.png (842 KB, 689x1624)
842 KB
842 KB PNG
Here you go OP
>>
>>3671825
Thanks. Love me some podcasts
>>
>>3671456
IMO that was a weak episode

older ones especially the roman and ww1 episodes were top tier

a good quick one was "Logical Insanity"
>>
File: 1505865585732.jpg (5 KB, 132x144)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>3671432
>>
>>3671578
Because curing the tsar's son, predicting the future of Russia and literally manipulating the romanows is not enough to optain mythical status
>>
>>3671445
He's a libtard cuck who distorts reality in favor of his left wing bias.
>>
>>3671425
I've only listened to his ancient history ones but he rarely does his homework with actual primary/contemporary sources, he hyperbolizes to the point of semi-inaccuracy, and he uses metaphors and non-literal descriptors that really aren't all that accurate. He's also not well versed in the cultures of the societies he's talking about so he tries to get into someone like Vercingetorix's head and doesn't understand Celtic mindsets behind warfare and social castes and such.

I think the biggest black mark against him is he distills inherently complex subjects down waaaay too far where it does a great injustice to actual historical occurances. Also I'm fucking sick of him referring to everything in Star Wars metaphors.
>>
>>3672295
>libtard
>leftwing bias

He's a Burkean conservative you shit-for-brains. That not rightwing enough for you?
>>
>>3671825
I just want people to know that if you don't listen to 'In our time' you know jack shit and your opinion is not worth shit.
>>
>>3672289
It's highlighting a well known legend you fucking autist
>>
>>3672350
>>3671825
>tfw the huge youtube archive of almost all inourtime episodes was taken down
I was very sad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zgctx6nmCw
This video might be of interest to any people who are sceptical to him. He clearly recognizes his own faults. I recommend giving it a watch
>>
I find him entertaining. They're a little bit of a niche in that they're very long these days, so you kind of have to plan for that, maybe save them for a roadtrip or something. They're good primers or cliffnotes on a topic, but dear god don't think you're an expert for listening to an episode on a particular subject.

I think they're best if you're only interested in one segment of history (like a World War Two autist for instance) and feel like you want to branch out and expand your interests.
>>
History extra podcast.
Best history podcast
>>
File: IMG_3286.png (6 KB, 211x239)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>3671432
t.
>>
>>3671425
I love it. It's always nice to listen to on my breaks or on bus rides or while playing grindy games.
Dan's funny, humble and tells great stories. Don't know what else people want.
>>
>>3671720
Bretty good podcast.

Although it needs more polish:
>Mistakes on narration
>Mild static
>Monotone voice

Don't give up anon, keep up the great work!!

>Seriously though, get a better audio interface... and use software for polish pls!
>>
File: fat ogre shit.jpg (9 KB, 220x240)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>3671425
Fat ogre shit-tier. He unironically compared Alexander the Great to Hitler and Stalin because all three waged wars. Not even kidding.

And he didn't even bother to cite sources like Arrian etc.
>>
>>3675480
If recall correctly, he was asking if its possible that one day we'll look back at Hitler and right books about all the great things he did while ignoring the atrocities, the same way we tend to do now with older figures like Genghis Khan and Alexander. He didn't say Alexander = Hitler.
>>
China History Podcast is my favorite. Maximum comfy tier.
>>
>>3671825
>last podcast listed
Kek
>>
File: IMG_3143.png (110 KB, 657x539)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>3675480
>>
>>3671425

I honestly think it's amazing what he does and i like the podcasts. But of course he makes some mistakes here and there, thats a given with podcasts of that length. But overall it's still a great way to lean about certain topics
>>
>>3675498
I'll give the episode another listen, but I was severely underwhelmed with the experience considering how over-hyped his show is.

>>3675537
Thank you for your brilliant and relevant argument.
>>
File: IMG_3288.png (7 KB, 225x224)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>3675570
I'm literally listening to King of Kings right now and he just praised Alexander. He's a big fan of Alexander, he simply compared Hitler to him in the context of historical revisionism.
I posted the brainlet because his opinion of Alexander is obvious.
>>
>>3671720
yeah it's pretty decent
>>
>>3675580
Dude, don't post brainlet macros period. I'm really not liking how 4chan has doubled down on Wojack immediately after Pepe got linked to Charlottesville.
>>
File: laugh.jpg (41 KB, 640x633)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>3675623
>implying anyone believes the media hysteria
>>
>>3675498
This. Why does everyone on /his/ of all boards have the insatiable urge to lie about what others say?
>>
>>3675653
>lying about what others said
>complaining others lying about what others say

Do you literally lack all self awareness? I'm serious.
>>
I listened to him once about Trump and never did again.

These are the ones I listen to: In our time, Partially examined life, Entitled opinions, Tel Aviv Review, Econtalk
>>
>>3672295
Imagine being so brainwashed by /pol/ that you can't enjoy anything
>>
File: 1490008614933.gif (2.32 MB, 348x323)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB GIF
>>3674195
Muh niggah
>>
>>3675743
t. Trump supporter
>>
>>3671432
Europeans can go get fucked by a garden hoe
>>
>>3671720
Was interested in this, lemme listen
>>
>>3671425
Dan Carlin's Redditcore history

just listen to audiobooks faggot.
>>
File: IMG_3309.png (24 KB, 558x614)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>3676997
>Reddit
>>
>>3675939
t. /leftypol/

He's red-pilled, not brainwashed.
>>
Fun-tier. Just listen to recordings of classes or audiobooks for more accuracy. He rarely fucks up in any big way, but don’t take his word as gospel.

Never EVER try to look at the social media of your favorite podcaster, though. They’re all faggots, and it will impact the way you enjoy their work.
>>
>>3678822
>>3671825
>read this post
>think nothing of it
>check out History of the Crusades
>okay voice but monotond tone, meh audio quality
>uh, a link to her Twitter
>latest retweet is from AJ+
>don’t even feel like checking it out more than that

I should have listened
>>
>>3675637
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>3671546
>Inaccuracies are bad no matter how severe they are.

But if any historical presentation that contains an error is bad, there are no good historical presentations. Errors and POV-interpretations are inevitable. When you are a little older, you will understand that, and learn to use multiple sources and analytical thinking to try and correct both the errors and assumptions of what you read or listen to, and your own.
>>
/his/ hates him because he's not a historian, which means he says interesting things once in a while and doesn't dwell on minutiae
/pol/ hates him because they think he's a leftist while he's actually a classical liberal
>>
>>3671720
>currently doing one about Timurlane.

Gotta include some of the stories about him and Nasreddin Hodja. (Hoca, Hoja, etc.)

Tamerlane had conquered Aksehir and terrorized the people. He ordered the townsfolk to feed and groom his elephant. The people suffered greatly because of this, and decided to send a committee, headed by Nasreddin Hoca, to Tamerlane to plead with him to take the elephant back. As the committee was about to enter the tyrant's palace, Hoca noticed that the other members of the committee got scared and turned back. He was left alone, facing the tyrant. "Your Highness", he said, "I am here to make a request on behalf of the people. They are so happy with the elephant you were kind enough to give us that they would like to take care of one more elephant."
>>
File: yoda.jpg (39 KB, 465x478)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3672320
>Sick I also am of him referring to everything in Star Wars metaphors.
>>
File: pirates.jpg (4 KB, 130x98)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>3675498
I recall a book about the Golden Age of Piracy that asked a similar question. Given who the pirates actually were (and how society saw them at the time), and the cultural icons we've made them into, the author wondered if some future descendants of our society would be laughing at "Druglords of the Carribean" or if their kids will be singing "Do what you want 'cause a terrorist is free, you are a terrorist!".
>>
>>3672469
>Not understanding how the BBC works
You can download every episode for free:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl/episodes/a-z/
>>
File: IMG_1925.jpg (75 KB, 680x510)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>3675623
Immediately leave this site and never come back.
>>
>>3671472
Very true. I listen to podcasts or documentaries while grinding really any skill.
>>
All history podcasts are shit tier

You will never get unbiased history lessons from anyone, and only the most basic facts about history can be irrefutably verified
>>
>>3679093
This but unironically
>>
>>3671432
>popular podcast comes out that people generally find really good
>contrarian comes to shit on it
>never provides an alternative of something better
every time
>>
>>3671425
Good overview of historical topics, but bloated and sometimes cheesy.

The best history podcast, bar none, is Age of Napoleon. It's a really great overview of how and why French society transformed so drastically from 1750 to 1850 and the episodes aren't 5 hours long. The host does a better job explaining how certain events and conditions led to others, rather than just giving a run-down of the facts like many other podcasts do.

Tides of History is also very cool. Pretty similar vibe, although the host's interest in covering anything and everything makes me worry he might often overextend himself and venture into topics that he doesn't really understand.

Askhistorians podcast is boring, but because it's a collection of interviews with professionals there's no better outlet for accurate and nuanced historical material. Their 20th century episodes are especially good.
>>
>>3671825
History of China is so fucking sterile. It's a 200 hour info dump, and if you don't already have a good overview of Chinese history it will just pass over your head.

The host (just an expat English teacher who' read a lot of books) is basically unable to explain which events are particularly important in shaping China, and isn't interested in describing what Chinese society looked like during various periods.
>>
File: 1436987986872.jpg (43 KB, 599x823)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>3679442
>Age of Napoleon

My nigga, the War Nerd podcast is pretty good. Martyrmade podcast too but he only does eps even few months
>>
>>3672295
Doesn't he have a political podcast about centrism?
>>
File: IMG_3267.jpg (14 KB, 442x500)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>3672295
>>
>>3679505
War Nerd is incredible. I've never thought of it as a history pod before but it's definitely the best audio source for post WW2 history.
>>
File: 1472502200138.jpg (225 KB, 1024x801)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>3672339
>((((conservative))))

Modern conservatives are not right wing in any way, shape, or form. They just meekly want to keep the current status quo, trying to convince themselves that is as far as the left will go each time it rolls out a new abomination.
>>
File: DDgjSYeXYAEjNwN.jpg (37 KB, 500x566)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>3679576
>>
Revolutions is pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>y'know this guy... this guy, in his time in his time, he was like... the equivalent of darth VADER
>>
>>3681631
>Modern conservatives are not right wing in any way, shape, or form.
Their virulent hatred for the poor or any sort of wealth redistribution says otherwise.
>>
>>3679452
this is why I prefer China History podcast over History of China.

Laszlo Montgomery actually has a dynamic style, and never makes things boring. Plus he's actually able to explain why things shaped China as they did.

History of China is so boring. The guy's voice is boring. He pronounces words incorrectly. Not just Chinese words, but English too. Nigga, it's not "ducky" it's "duchy" for fuck's sake.
>>
>>3672295
Yeah turns out your idiocy makes you the cuck. Good thing there are plenty of dumb women you can try to fool into liking you, question is though... are they dumb enough to fall for it?
>>
>>3671825
Hardcore history shouldn't even be on this list
>>
If you want something that's more entertaining than informative, definitely go with "The Dollop". Two stand-ups go over a bunch of niche stories from American history. Be aware, these guys are pretty liberal and don't mind sharing their views.

If you want more or less unbiased facts presented in a rational way, I enjoy "My History Can Beat Up Your Politics"
>>
Best tier.
>>
>>3671425
i always see redditards talking about it so its probably shit
>>
>>3671425
fantastic starter for getting into history as a whole
>>
>>3681966
>>3679452
History of China guy is just generally a very poor orator. He speaks individual words too quickly and has no real flow or cadence, and his script is just a long infodump. Though at least he does have sources and a full bibliography on his site, and he gives good answers on specific topics on [spoiler]/r/AskHistorians[/spoiler] he just doesn't seem to be able to distill a story down to the interesting points.
>>
Age of Napoleon is incredible

Made me see that period in a whole new light
>>
File: 1425260533494.jpg (11 KB, 250x241)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>3682244
mfw leftists misuse therm "cuck"

Get a load of this soy boy kek
>>
>>3682727
How come?
>>
>>3681729
>.....and he duplicates AGEIN
>and AGEIN
>and AGEIN
>>
>>3671425
Dan Carly is ok tier

>>3671825
History on Fire is top tier desu, and should be added to this list now.
>>
>>3672350
>>3671825
Fucking hate In our time. They rush through every episode and the host sounds like an asswipe
>>
>>3671825
>hating on History of Byzantium

At least acknowledge it's by far the best Duncan-style series
>>
>>3679452
I found it interesting enough without a background in Chinese history. Certainly left me with a better understanding of the political history and dynasties. I definitely found it interesting even in the million foreign names go over my head. Not bad / 10, which is exactly what the image rated it, too. Speaking of this topic; anyone have good resources to get more into chink history?
>>
hardcore history is shit tier

if you want something that is actually analytical try something like the british history podcast
>>
File: 1509823785370.jpg (95 KB, 630x776)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Really really good even though it also could be considered pleb. Its like an appetizer that gives you a bit of vague knowledge about a certain topic and if you're further interested you can research the primary sources or real historians. I really enjoyed his one on Persia and it led me to read Histories and Olmstead, which are fantastic books I wouldn't have been able to get into otherwise.
>>
File: 14304323229.jpg (81 KB, 530x530)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>tfw most history podcasters doesn't have a good voice
They all sound so meek.

Dan is the best, he knows that it's a podcast, not an audio-book. He talks to the listener. And for fucks sake, you don't go into his podcasts and blindly believes in everything he says. It is entertainment. If you enjoyed a certain episode, you look up his sources and go on from there.
>>
>>3685573
This
A year ago I barely knew any history. But then I started listening to Dan, enjoyed his work immensely, went to his sources and started reading profusely. Now I'm a [spoiler] Romeaboo [/spoiler] and I have Dan to thank for making history entertaining and interesting to me.
>>
>>3685616
Republic or Principate.

Choose correctly, one of these things is for plebs.
>>
>>3685674
Late-Republic/First Triumvirate :^)
>>
>>3681631
>Christianity is destroyed once people start doing what Christ said to do.
Really foggens the ol' nogger.
>>
>>3671432
fpbp
>Genghis Khan
>he killed so00000 many people
>so much blood
>wow

>eastern europe ww2
>so many dead people
>a lot a lot so many the bodies were that many
>wowowowo
>I'm not a historian

He's shit. Like he's actually normie trash and I've never met anyone in my program (master's in history) that likes the guy.
>>
File: 1431804145931.png (174 KB, 367x319)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>3671573
>Listening to things while playing video games
>Warframe
Dumb animal.
>>
>starts whispering quietly
>can't hear him over freeway noise, turn volume up
>"THEN, DARIUS, KING OF THE PERSIANS DESCENDED UPON THE"
>shit pants and crash into semi truck
scares the shit out of me. I can't listen to his podcast anymore because of it. the dynamics are way too wide for me to listen in the car without shitting my pants.
>>
>>3687612

>oh boy i have a masters in history and talk shit on someone who talks about history from a objective stance
>i don't actually have a masters in history

fuck i wish there was an autism filter
>>
>>3675480
Carlin always gives his sources, brainlet.
Both during the podcast and listed on his website.
>>
>>3688452
I literally only listen to podcasts while playing vidya.

It's gotten me through so much history.
>>
>>3671576
What political goals?
soviets didn't like Rasputin
>>
>>3681966
My problem with China History is that I'm autistic enough to like it organized chronologically but the podcast jumps back and forth hundreds and thousands of years at a time. I don't like that.

The worst history podcast I've heard so far is History of Japan. I've heard "it gets better"... like 50 episodes in. The overview episodes are fucking atrocious though as no time is given to anything, it's just words and place names and people names that mean nothing.
>>
>>3681693
I really enjoy Revolutions though haven't been as into the 1848 stuff as much as I hoped I would be. It feels like he's letting his own political views spill over just a little bit so the narrative, as presented, seems more sympathetic to the leftists/revolutionaries. Also his understanding of Germany as basically "it's all semi-repressive autocracies" seems very simplistic and he kind of seems to sideline Prussia which seems like a very weird/dumb thing to do in the mid-1800s.
>>
>>3689147
I just meant in general. History got distorted all the time for the sake of making yourself look good.
>>
>>3687612
What shit-tier program are you in? He's like Carl Sagan or le black science maymay man... Of course it isn't 100% accurate or to "our" standards but if it gets some normalfag to actual give a shit about history it's better than nothing.
>>
So from the lack of discussion on History of Rome and Revolutions I assume they're just so good nobody can shitpost about them?
>>
>>3685616
I just picked up History as my minor in college just because Dan Carlin awakened my interest in it.
>>
what makes a good or a bad podcast?
>>
>>3689816
>good
a bland and very accurate monotone lecture.

>bad
Anything remotely sensationalist or popular.
>>
>>3687612
>actually studying History

Lol, look at this nerd. Enjoy flipping burgers for the rest of your life.
>>
>>3689601
I don't think theres been a single revolution he didn't side with the revolutionaries-- it's really the narrative of the podcast since they all, in the end, were victorious. I even felt he favored the Hatian revolution in telling, and it was the definition of a grey conflict.
>>
>>3689739
>so good

Meh. More like they’re the only vaguely decent ones, with maybe History of Byzantium. Revolutions is on a bit of a slippery slope recently, though, Duncan just can’t stop letting his politics and personal opinions spill out (particularly noticeable o me, coming from an academic culture where that’s very, very frowned upon).

IMO he’s getting a bit full of himself. I had hoped his book would fail but he’s a best seller now. God knows he’s never going go shut up about it.
>>
>>3690293
>Revolutions is on a bit of a slippery slope recently, though, Duncan just can’t stop letting his politics and personal opinions spill out
Aside from that time he covered the Haitian revolution and made sure to mention at least once every five minutes how evil chattel slavery was, what political opinions are those? I don't think he has that much to say about 1848, politically speaking.
>>
Probably one of the better podcasts about history to come out recently. Hearing the same ads about quick pickles and shrimp rolls makes me bananas though. Nice guy too, gave me recommendations of history works via Facebook.
>>
I like Bolelli's podcast.
>>
>>3690293
I think you're exaggerating about his political views, I didn't really notice any left wing soapboxing in the podcast except for the two or three tangents when the topic of slavery came up particularly with respect to Haiti and the USA. I don't recall him offering an opinion one way or the other regarding the political sides (centrist vs federalist, republican vs monarchist) in e.g. the French revolutions or the Latin American separation.
>>
>>3691907
The episode about the first few years of Charles X's reign in the July Revolution series lays the Trump analogy on very thick. 1848 he's very much coming down more on the side of the various radicals in the narrative though not enough to where he's outright telling you "these are the good guys" or anything. So far my listening to the 1848 episodes is that much like today college students are fucking idiots and, much like today, will never be satisfied no matter how far left you start moving.
>>
>>3691311
It's a slippery slope because if you listen to a history of Haiti that isn't entirely focused on muh white genocide you're liable to become a reddit cuck
>>
>>3692743
>The episode about the first few years of Charles X's reign in the July Revolution series lays the Trump analogy on very thick.
You're really stretching it there, I can't see any analogy between the two at all. The only thing they have in common is a desire to return to what they perceive as the glory days, but otherwise their situations and the actions they took to achieve their agenda are entirely incomparable.
>>
>>3693343
>>3692743
To wit, in my opinion the only way for him to lay on any kind of thick Trump analogy would be for him to start slinging random slogans like "Make the Bourbons Great Again", "lying fake news", and "crooked Orleans" because otherwise there is basically no common ground between the Trump agenda and Charles X's agenda aside from the fact that they were both on the political right, though what constitutes the right in 2010s America and the right in early 19th century France following the Bourbon Restoration are very different, and you can't really compare them in any way beyond the superficial like "the press turned against both of them" or "the King and the Republicans both used dirty tricks to rig elections in their own favour", which isn't an analogy at all it's just timeless tropes that will always come up in a democratic system.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.