[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1526283706239.jpg (32 KB, 474x395)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
When did you realize that "progress" is a myth?
>>
>>4664752
when i thought my life would progress for the better
>>
>>4664752
lmao progress is real, but titties are just eternal
>>
no, humans are just really horny and have always been horny
>>
>>4664778
Humans have no horns?
>>
>men with self esteem were ever attracted to fatties
>>
>>4664752
The year is 2018. Man has peered into the darkest corners of the cosmos, and observed the universe on its smallest scale. You walk around with more computing power in your pocket than was available to all of NASA in the 1970s. You live twice as long as your ancestors ever could have dreamed of, you have food in abundance and the future is brighter than ever. Humanity has achieved more in the last century than it ever has in its entire history. People are happier, freer, crime is lower, you're safer, more secure, and the entire wealth of human knowledge is available to you at your finger tips. You live in the dawn of humanity, you were born after the long dark night and you will never know the suffering that every other generation did.

And you still think the words of dehydrated desert madmen in the middle east are literal truth, you unironically believe in God, and think homosexuality is a bad thing.

You're literally a walking insult to everything humanity has ever achieved, lmao.
>>
>>4665371
I could only seem to find one mention of it on Wikipedia, and correct me if I'm wrong, but were males not used to model both sculptures and paintings while female features were grafted or painted on because female models were harder to come by? It credits Raphael as being one of the first to use female models consistently. Under Middle Ages and Renaissance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_%28art%29#Depictions_of_youth
>>
>>4664752
When did you realize that "myth" is not a synonym of "lie"
>>
When I read the picture with the graffiti in Pompeii
>>
>>4665371
That's a great image. It's interesting how little things changed.
>>
>>4665494
Lel
I linked the wrong section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_%28art%29#Middle_Ages_and_Renaissance
>>
File: penis.png (682 KB, 1024x576)
682 KB
682 KB PNG
>>4664752
Are you implying that everything we have now is not the result of generations upon generations building upon the discoveries of their forebears? Because thats wrong
>>
>>4665387
Current year guy?
>>
Notions are progress can be mythical, not progress itself.
>>
File: FAGGOT = AIDS.png (73 KB, 1213x809)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>4665387
>think homosexuality is a bad thing.
KYS faggot.
>>
File: 1469583918789.gif (864 KB, 500x372)
864 KB
864 KB GIF
>>4665387
>Better material circumstances must result in better psychological health
Considering that people are feeling worse off than they did 50-60 years ago according to polls on the subject, as well as the rise in various psychological issues, your appeal to fedora tipping and the current year is the lazy way out.

The word "progress" is, in itself, highly misleading. For example, a nuclear bomb is progress over a spear in killing power. Just because something is an improvement in some standard does not mean that it is an improvement across the board. Thus, referring to the initial point above, the improvement in martial conditions does not confer improvement for either societal cohesion, take a look at how Twitter has united people in mutual hatred and self congratulation. This tribalism, still extant, magnified by your progress thus undermines society by removing the vital, face to face context which normally places a lid on such actions.

To summarize, there are grounds to challenge the notion of "progress." This does not mean that there is anything wrong with how you think about the betterment humanity has developed for itself; your argumentation sucks. Try again.
>>
For the average human progress didn't exist before the year 1820
>>
that bikini top is removable
tell me this ain't progress
>>
I think that when I noticed there are certain patterns in history (the world pushes for a liberalization attempt, only to be faced by reactonaries, so on and so forth to varying degrees) and when I tried to make an amend between Hegel's Dialectic and the hominous claim by Nietszche regarding time as a flat circle, I think I figured that the latter had more weight.

Both are extremely esoteric claims, don't get me wrong, and I don't think progress is a probable fact (so therefor, it's hard to disprove it, it's elusive and depends highly on what one wants it to mean), but in the end societies are doomed to repeat the same mistakes of the ones before. There's no country that rules forever, and they are all prone to being corrupted, so for me it's a cycle of growing, coming to self, getting into a Golden Age, decaying and being corrupted by the end: Rome, The Ottomans, The Papacy, most China dynasties and lately the US.

I guess there's also the fact that we are made by what's required of us and if certain conditions are set, we can turn back into stone age type of behaviour. We all have a biological programming fine-tuned for thousands of years that is ready to act as soon as the enviroment asks it. If we lived in more terrible and politically unstable times, we would throw democracy and legalism over the window for having bread on the table (Germans did during WWII). People can practice canibalism like those Uruguayans did because they had nothing to eat. War can make us into animals pretty quickly too.

I don't think we should fool ourselves thinking that we can stop being monkeys if our internal basic psychology and biology is still the one of a glorified ape. And as long as we have those brains, it's only a matter of time for the wrong things to happen in order to trigger the same actions that people had 10000 years ago. I don't see how we could progress from that unless we are able to alter the biochemistry of our brains before being born.
>>
>>4666057
>Considering that people are feeling worse off than they did 50-60 years ago according to polls on the subject,
I would like to see these polls
>>
>>4664752
What kind of progress? Technological one? Yes, definitly. Otherwise? Education has been proven to be a power of goodbut that's it.
>>
>>4665371
They looks like men
>>
>>4665520
uh bro they were copies of each other
>>
>>4664752
When in highscho we learnt and read the greeks and also french humanism in litterature class. These people were making the same cheesy jokes as today's, the same observations about how the new generation was degenerate and wasted, same wars etc... desu the only things that change in history are trends, clothes, languages, tl;dr, culture. But the human as a race didn't "evolve" in 4k years, this process occurs over at least 50k years.
>>
>>4665830
So if you always use a condom and get your partner tested for STD is being gay fine? Or is this a dishonest argument you'e making because gays hurt your feelings.
>>4666508
Where can i find men who look like this?
>>
>>4666598
They aren't copies. they're depictions of the goddess of beauty and desire from various artists throughout history. They've clearly made no attempt to copy any other features, why the slim body?
>>
>>4668239
>They've clearly made no attempt to copy any other features
Come on nigger. The Romans intimated the great Greek masters to the point that it's nearly impossible to tell if a "Classical" Greek sculpture is just a Roman copy. The great artists of the Renascence were inspired by the sculptures of Greece and Rome and the 1879 Birth of Venus is just the Hollywood reboot of the 1485 version.
>>
>>4664752
When I read Roman graffiti.
>>
>>4668250
>different hairstyles and facial features.
>implying this is not just a depiction of female biological fitness.
>>
>>4668275
>different hairstyles and facial features.
Not that guy but that's not what is important, the canon of proportions being consistent to the classical is. They're all similar not because they're a generic "the goddess of beauty" and all artists everywhere consider fridgebodied small titted women to be beautiful. They're all similar because they're specifically aphrodite, a greek goddess, and they're going to model her proportions off of classical greek canon proportions.
>>
>>4665371
They all fat fat fat and one amputee. Eww, thankfully social aesthetics have gotten better.
>>
>>4668311
Are you blind or just retarded?
>>
>>4668374
>fat is beautiful

fuck off with your disgusting SJW agenda
>>
>>4665371

Fuck BoV 1879
Marry Knidos
Kill BoV 1485

Hotness:

BoV 1879 > Knidos > de Milo > Felix > de' Medici > BoV 1485
>>
>>4665513

This and Usenet logs of internet discussion from the late 80s.
>>
>>4664752
We no longer have public executions, the rate of violence and crime have gone down significantly. A majority of the population is no longer farmers and gets over a decade of formal education. What would you call that?
>>
>>4666057
How about not just material circumstances. But no longer having to worry about your wife dying in childbirth. Your kid dying before they are 5, and getting killed from an ear infection, or stabbed by a person walking down the street.
>>
>>4668448

The spiritual death knell of the West. Lower IQ people need lower IQ jobs.
>>
>>4668463
But you still have to worry about all of those things you listed. They're just, in theroy, less likely to happen. The underlying problems still persist.
>>
>>4665371
The 1879 Venus isn't doing anything to protect her genits.

If there's a breeze or something, she'll end up with sand and stuff in her pubes.
>>
>>4665830
Not even Reagan kept believing that HIV was a disease generated from homosexuality.
>>
>>4668465
What low IQ jobs are taking off? They're all getting replaced by robots. And who cares if other people aren't going to church. you can all you want, and they're not affecting you
>>
>>4669111
You really don't though. Dying in childbirth doesn't happen in first world countries. We have treatment for almost all ailments for young children
>>
>>4669175
no but the average faggot has way more sexual partners than the average hetero male or female.
>>
>>4664752
What? And that bbw anime figurine is supposed to prove that?

Human nature hasn't changed much but manufacturing methods clearly have as your pic proves, among other things such as our knowledge of psychology and history and how we can manage human nature. So there is progress.
>>
>>4666508
>
probably menlier than you, but they still look like women
Here's how real men actually look like
>>
>>4665387
Aaaah i remember the days when my catholic city didn`t knew wtf was the HIV and the knowledge of sexual disease was theoric, then the fags came (my father and a lot of doctors from that generation fought against 4 plagues at the same time) and now we are reaching 15% and it increases year by year and yeah all of the first infected were fags, trans and men who were so ill that would fuck a fag instead of their wifes kek
>>
>>4669222
>Autism
>Cancer
>AIDS
>Asthma
>Epilepsy
>Parkinsons
>Skitzophrenia
>SARS
>Anemia
But, yeah. At least infants don't go blind from syphilis anymore so there's that.
>>
>>4669222
>Dying in childbirth doesn't happen in first world countries. We have treatment for almost all ailments for young children
These have dysgenic and antisocial consequences.
>>
>>4665371
1879 is beautiful
>>
>>4665371
Fuck BoV 1879
Marry de Medici
Kill Myself
>>
>>4668409
Retard.
>>
>>4666508
that's not true
>>
>>4669636
Autism isn't that bad
Cancer is rare in kids
AIDS is rare in kids, because they're not sexually active.
Asthma is a relatively minor condition
Epilelpsy is bad.
I didn't know kids could get Parkinsons
Skitzo does such
I think there is one in a billion chance of a kid getting SARS
And Anemia sucks, but we have treatments for it more than we did have historically.
>>
>>4664778
humans are still animals at the end of the day.
>>
>>4673114
Well, wanna do some mating behavior then?
>>
>>4664752
AD 2015 doesn't have dick-tits, I consider that progress.
>>
>>4664767
/thread
>>
>>4668311
t.brainlet
>>
>>4668305
Got proofs?
>>
>>4674097
gross
>>
>>4674147
If that doesn't make you horny, you might be a fag. Honestly.
>>
>>4674097
>tattoos
Oof
>>
>>4674097
She's not fat though.
>>
>>4674342
FAT ASS
>>
>all the fags thinking prosperity = progress
BAKA at how spiritually dead you are. We are further from Christ than ever

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.