[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: image.jpg (1.14 MB, 1802x2560)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>
>>5294549

The soundtrack and Stephen Lang's performance are kino but the rest of this movie was a fucking mess.

Should've produced it as a miniseries as originally proposed.
>>
Confederate film with obvious political critic reviews, but decent viewer reviews. Probably worth checking out for that reason alone, even if it's not great.
Movies like that can be very revealing.
>>
>>5294549
It was ok. Had Jackson have a black cook who prayed god for his people's freedom, but served the confederatcy because it was the right thing.
>>
>>5295059
Based
>>
>>5294549
It was over-focused on the South, but the beards weren't so atrocious as Gettysburg. I appreciated showing the Confederates not as evil beasts, but at the same time I spent that movie wondering when we were going to get the Northern perpsective on the war, it never came an I was bitterly disappointed. Without that essential counterbalance it felt like it was stroking Southerner's egos.

Overall pretty okay, but definitely missing essential elements.
>>
>>5295059
Makes sense. Jackson taught blacks how to read and write before the war, even though it was illegal. I can see him having the respect of god-fearing blacks.
>>
>>5294549
3 hours of my life I'll never get back.
>>
>>5294549
>>5294601
>>5294646
>>5295059
>>5295537
>>5295550
>>5295553
>>5295658
Books are better. I have the whole series.
>>
Not sure about the movie but the song Gods and Generals by the band Civil War is a really good song
>>
>>5294549

This movie is literally the only movie I've ever fallen asleep while watching. I'm being completely serious. It's just so fucking boring.
>>
>>5294549
Did you like Gettysburg? This is 6 more hours of that with more battles but less focus on each battle. Other than that has all the positives and negatives of Gettysburg with the budget being slightly more apparent in the equipment and the visuals.

There was rumors of a full Antietam cut somewhere that never released.
>>
>>5294549
It was definitely worse than Gettysburg. Even Duvall gave a pretty weak performance.
>>
>>5294549
SIX FUCKING HOURS
>>
>>5295947
>Never been released
Except it has. Bluray directors cut, I have it. The theatrical version is lacking in alot of ways. The directors cut feels alot more like the sweeping epic it was intended to be. Its over 4hrs long though, be warned.
>>
It makes both sides seem self-righteous beyond all belief.
>>
>>5296864
The bluray extended edition doesn't have the entirety of Antietam (and Fredericksburg IIRC)
>>
>>5294549
Meh. Weaker than Gettysburg.
>>
>>5297677

this desu
>>
>>5294549
Its not great, but it gets overly shit on for being very very light on the Confederates by today's standards. There's a lot of cheesy dialogue and music, but based Stephen Lang steals the show, as he does in every movie.
>>
Daily reminder that Ted Turner is in this movie. He's the one on the left.
>>
>>5299474
>>5299500

Were you in that /tv/ thread a few weeks ago?

>Something wonderful has happened. Peter... I'm pregnant.
>>
>>5299662
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation, well...
>>
>>5299757

Yay :D
>>
>>5299500
The author also made a cameo in the same scene.
>>
>>5300065

Which one is Jeff Shaara?
>>
>>5295690

this
>>
>>5299500

Cool
>>
>>5294549

It's a good movie
>>
>>5295690
Books are great.
But I wouldn't call it 'confederate' (even as a progressive myself), while it doesn't look favorably towards the racist values and policies of the southern elites it looks at, at the level of the individual character, each officer in an unbiased perspective, which I enjoy.
>>
>>5294601

A series would be killer, doubt we'd get anything as utterly sage as North&South in this current era though.
>>
>>5295550
Just as well. The Union perspective of that portion of the war in the Eastern Theater is one catastrophe after another. How much focus do we really need on Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain pointing out that the men are willing to fight, the Junior officers are capable, now if only the higher ups would stop fucking up. Again. And again. And again.

1st Bull Run
The Seven Days
2nd Bull Run
Antietam
Fucking Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville

The Union perspective of these battles is just plain depressing. You've got some tactical victories in the Seven Days and a "victory" (more like a draw) at Antietam, and then crushing defeats being handed out like candy. Especially Fredericksburg. You don't need to be a Film major to know that that would make the audience suicidal.
>>
Gettysburg
>Tells the story of a single battle that lasted 3 days
>Focuses on many major figures on both sides
>The focus on these figures "humanizes" the war and fits with the scope of the narrative allowing for a good mix of action and dialogue and a story that is easy to follow and understand

Gods & Generals
>Focuses on an entire Theater of Operations over a 2 year period of time
>Focuses on 3 major figures in theory, but mostly neglects two of them to give more screen time to the third resulting in an unbalanced viewpoint
>The grander, more strategic scale clashes with the limited, personal view provided by the 3 main characters. This results in a lot more dialogue and exposition to explain strategic developments that are not immediately or visually obvious to the audience. This creates poor pacing and makes for a very boring viewing experience punctuated with relatively brief amounts of action. As a result, the character driven viewpoint doesn't "humanize" the war so much as makes it confusing and hard to follow because so much of what is going on is not visible or apparent from the perspective the audience is given. Heavily related to this is that way too much takes place off camera.
>In short, there is a disconnect between the scale of the story/narrative and the scale of the audience viewpoint.

G and G was just a much more flawed premise in general that suffered from poor and inconsistent focus.
>>
>>5307502

I'd say that's a pretty accurate summation of the movie's problems.

That and the source material itself is flawed. Jeffrey Shaara tries to emulate his father, but just lacks that same spark. Still a good book, but those who picked it up expecting it to be a masterpiece like Killer Angels will be sorely disappointing.
>>
>>5307502

this
>>
File: militia uprising.jpg (878 KB, 1680x1050)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
>>5306597

Instead of watching North and South, we get to live it irl when the Second Civil War starts. Along with Bolsheviks vs Nazi Round II, Texas Revolution II, and the Great Norteños-Sureños Gang War
>>
>>5294549
>saves Annie the pregnant Jew
>>
>>5294549

It was okay
>>
>>5295059

But that's literally how Jackson was
>>
>>5309976

based
>>
>>5294549

I liked it
>>
>>5295550
a northern perspective would virtually be hated by both sides in america
>right would hate it because its not edgy enough to show dixieboos winning and showing them as the bad guys
>left would hate it because it would show the union army as a mainly white force that was fighting for their own benefit and not enslaved darkie
on top of that, the "democrats are the real racists" people and the "parties switched" people would run it into the ground for their own gains
>>
File: 1535638265633.jpg (232 KB, 1200x1803)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>5294549
i remember this is the only move i ever walked out on.
it had a fuck ton of scene where the general is just talking to god (himself) in a field.
there was an intermission the only movie with an intermission ive experienced.
instead of going back to the theater, i just went home.
>>
I prefer Gettysburg but at the same time, it just keeps fucking going.
>>
>>5314384
What is so hot about Asian women in business suits?
>>
>>5309976

redplilled
>>
>>5299662

awwwwwwww-

...tism
>>
>>5314995

Young socially mobile women tend to be seen as attractive for marriage

>In 1883, Harvey implemented a policy of employing a female, white-only serving staff. He sought single, well-mannered, and educated American ladies, and placed ads in newspapers throughout the East Coast and Midwest for "white, young women, 18-30 years of age, of good character, attractive and intelligent". The girls were paid $18.50 a month[12], plus room and board, a generous income by the standards of the time.
>The women were subjected to a strict 10 p.m. curfew, administered by a senior Harvey Girl who assumed the role and responsibilities of house mother. The official starched black and white uniform (which was designed to diminish the female physique) consisted of a skirt that hung no more than eight inches off the floor, "Elsie" collars, opaque black stockings, and black shoes. The hair was restrained in a net and tied with a regulation white ribbon. Makeup of any sort was absolutely prohibited, as was chewing gum while on duty. Harvey Girls (as they soon came to be known) were required to enter into a one-year employment contract, and forfeited half their base pay should they fail to complete the term of service. Marriage was the most common reason for a girl to terminate her employment.
>The restrictions maintained the clean-cut reputation of the Harvey Girls, and made them even more marriageable. However, the opportunity to leave their homes, to enjoy travel, have new experiences, and work outside the home was very liberating for thousands of young women. After the Harvey Houses closed in most cities, many former Girls (and today their daughters and granddaughters) joined in appreciation to carry on their legacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Harvey_Company#Harvey_Girls
>>
>>5314384

hot
>>
File: TheLastFullMeasure.jpg (13 KB, 168x254)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Thankfully they can hire different actors or director, war movies come back from time to time. It gives me hope that one day the trilogy will be complete.
>>
its bizarre
>>
>>5295690

A man of taste I see
>>
>>5299757

Could've chosen a better actor for Lincoln.
>>
>>5318152

cool
>>
>>5294549

Had potential but fell short.
>>
>>5294549
bump
>>
>>5318152

based
>>
>>5294549
This is better
>>
>>5328315
The opening scene is quite retarded, though. What man would run out from real cover to shoot at injuns? Why not stay in cover and snipe them in a surprise?

Total bollocks.
>>
>>5294549
A great non pharmaceutical cure for insomnia

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.