[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Some things I noticed
>Persians yelling "yallah" (arabic for "hurry up")
>Macedonia pronounced Masedonia
>Scythia pronounced Sythia
The armours and clothes were surprisingly good though, at least I got that impression.
>>
>>5618275
such a bad film
>>
>>5618275
>Persians yelling "yallah" (arabic for "hurry up")
Persian, Arabic, same thing
>>
>>5618275
it's oliver stone so it's basically guaranteed crap and lies
>>
>>5618275
>”yallah”
Entirely possible they were Arab levies. I was thoroughly impressed with the presentation of the Macedonian phalanx, and the elephant battle was kickass
>>
>>5619017
>Indo-European language and a Afro-Asiatic language

>same thing
>>
>>5618275
I'm a PhD candidate in Classics and I liked that movie very much. Even though many laymen hate it. The later editions (there are more than one directors cut iirc) are much better than the movie cut version
I also liked Troy. Even though most classics spreg out due to the omission of gods. I liked how the directors imagined a ''realistic scenario'' of what could have happened, how Agamemnon used Helen affair as an excuse to annex Troy etc.

I can say that Troy-Alexander-Rome-Spartacus (Tv movie in 2 parts, played by a serbian actor, not the later orgies galore version) in mid 2000s pushed me into Classics. What a bountiful era those few years were, now its just all superhero movies.
>>
>>5619048
They're both spoken by brown Muslim people in headscarves and have a lot of throaty sounds
>>
>>5618275
you want them al to speek ancient greek? It was pretty accurate if you believe the cronicles that were written . Since it is written from the perspective of Ptolemaeus recollecting things its pretty spot on
>>
>>5619067
>I liked how the directors imagined a ''realistic scenario'' of what could have happened
I liked Troy too, but what we got was neither true to the books nor accurate to how "it would have been", irl. Where are the chariot archers?
>>
>>5619098
>you want them al to speek ancient greek?
unironically, yes
>>
>>5619106
it was a fantasy, albeit a nice fantasy
>>
>>5619067
>I also liked Troy. Even though most classics spreg out due to the omission of gods. I liked how the directors imagined a ''realistic scenario'' of what could have happened, how Agamemnon used Helen affair as an excuse to annex Troy etc.
As a "classics sperg" my beef was less toning down the divine intervention but shifting the fundamental conflict being a psychodrama about Achilles and his attitude towards leadership when he's the best warchief around and everyone knows it but has to listen to a lesser man "just" because he's the king of Mycenae; the movie goes for what is basically power rangers and building up to the big fight between Hector and Achilles, which Homer goes out of his way to undercut.
>>
>>5619120
let them speak true macedonian(slav)
>>
>>5619072
You worship ignorance and shallow memes. KYS.
>>
It's has its moments, the phalanx getting ready for battle was cool, but does anyone remember that scene when they arrive in India and meet these weird Neanderthal looking tribals? It's the part after they get in a "skirmish" with monkeys.
>>
>>5619098
>you want them al to speek ancient greek?
Yes.
>>
>>5619143
That’s just how Indians look.
>>
>>5619143
>monkeys
Wow racist much??? Indians are humans just like you and I.
>>
File: zoro.jpg (155 KB, 505x379)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>5619017
>Persian, Arabic, same thing
kys
>>
>>5618275
Yallah is in most middle eastern languages including Farsi.
>>
>>5619142
>>5619260
>t. Alireza losangeleszahdeh
>>
>>5618275
I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys this movie for what it is.
>>
>>5619271
Yallah comes from yā Allāh (O God).
Persians wouldn't have said it 300 BC
>>
>>5619271
Before Revolution, less than 10% Arabic loanwords were being used. It's as simple as choosing to say the word "Darood" over "Salam". Persian language is still grammatically Indo-European, and an Iranian can choose to use Persian words over Arabic ones if he so wanted to.
>>
>>5618275
40% is my estimate.
>>
>>5619271
Nobody was saying yallah in the middle east at the time of Alexander. Not even any relevant semitic group.
>>
>>5619275
>t. ignorant Amerimutt
>>
>>5619309
I liked it too.

Nowadays I'd find it too long and boring and I'll concede there's a bunch of cringy overacting where everyone is just shouting at one another, but I liked it when I first saw it in theatre and watched it a bunch of times on DVD as a teenager, it's also a vast improvement upon the previous movie about Alexander the Great from 1956.

I know there's going to be some wanker here who'll say that only a brainlet would like it because of nitpick x y or z about historic inaccury but those shits will always find something to complain about, so whatever. I guess they'd rather no one ever made any movies or video-games at all and everyone just read university-tier books.
>>
>>5619311
It comes from Ela, which is from Elada --> Greece. They are yelling: "Greeks, Greeks!"
>>
Wasn't this like the first time where the Directors Cut was shorter than the theatrical release?

How insane is that?
>>
>>5619115
Its called acting
>>
>>5619017
>Persian
Aside from your obvious retarded statement you know the language is called Farsi right? And it sound more like French than it does arabic
>>
>>5621381
>persians 2500~ years ago spoke just like they do today
Put a german back 2000 years and he wouldn't understand quack of what his ancestors spoke.
>>
>>5621488
Ok. Thus I can simply clain than the Franks have communicated via click consonants.
>>
>>5618275
Hephaeston is so cute tehhehee
>>
>>5621517
kys faggot
>>
File: 1541601795748.jpg (283 KB, 683x789)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>5621519
>>
>>5621488
True. It would sound something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhcbTpoWKjs
He'd be able to distinguish some words.
>>
>>5621503
>Put a german back 2000 years and he wouldn't understand quack of what his ancestors spoke.
>Ok. Thus I can simply clain than the Franks have communicated via click consonants.
How did you reach this conclusion from this statement
>>
>>5621381
Farsi is such a shitty translitteration, why not Parsi to make it a bit more obvious that its connected to Persian. Theyre not called Fersians.
>>
>>5621381
>Farsi
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language
Only virtue-signallers call it Farsi
>>
>>5622267
P to F is a common consonantal softening that takes place in world languages, as with b to v and further to w. S to sh or maybe the reverse. Also g and k.
>>
>>5621381
>using Farsi to refer to Persian
People seriously need to stop doing this.
>>
>>5622523
I mean I don't see anyone going out of their way to say Hrvatski instead of Croatian for example so "it's what the speakers call it" isn't a valid excuse imo. The word Persian isn't even a slur or anything, in fact I've met some Persian people who refer to their language as Persian when speaking in English, so why avoid it?
>>
>>5622523
Fars appears to be an Arabized form.
Fars and Pars appear to be interchangeable.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Farsi
>>
File: Porus.jpg (213 KB, 1280x720)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>5618275
Too bad he lost to Porus and died running away like a coward.
>>
I liked how the Macedonians were speaking Irish and the Greeks British English.
>>
>>5622543
So in their attempt to respect the language leftists are ironically supporting its Arabization?
>>
>>5622613
>leftists
What everything is about to /pol/tards
>>
>>5622570
But he won and Porus swore fealty to him...
>>
>>5622717
But they're the ones going out of their way to call it Farsi
>>
>>5622875
Yeah he "won" thats why he lost 2/3 of his troop running away in the desert and dying after. LMAO
>>
>>5623619
Porus still served as a satrap until his death around 315 BC...
>>
>>5619017
Disregarding the loan-words that are far less common than most seem to think, German is closer to Persian than it is to Arabic.
>>
>>5622345
Nah, its just Arabic autism
>>
Yellah not yallah
>>
>>5618275
It's a film
>>
>>5623922
>German is closer to Persian than it is to Arabic.
Maybe, but Persian is closer to Arabic than it is to German.
>>
File: 2314231423.jpg (27 KB, 206x305)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>5618275

Some things I noticed
>OP got autism from hollywood movie that has no intention being historical, but entertainment for the masses

Next you claim that Anastasia wasn't historically accurate?
>>
>>5624455
Before Revolution, less than 10% Arabic loanwords were being used. It's as simple as choosing to say the word "Darood" over "Salam". Persian language is still grammatically Indo-European, and an Iranian can choose to use Persian words over Arabic ones if he so chooses.
>>
>>5624393
>film
I see you're using that word lightly.
>>
>>5619017
IIRC the historian they hired as an advisor on the Persian side of things said they barely used him. In fact in some of scenes they're depicted as sorta Ottomanesque
>>
>>5625915
Ottomans are Muslim too, yes? I really don't see the problem
>>
File: toys.jpg (20 KB, 394x450)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>5621381
>"Farsi"
Literally just an Arabized version of "Persian" you mong.
>>
File: Battle_of_Gaugamela.png (26 KB, 739x561)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>5618275

Too much focus was given to Gaugamela. The Persians were depicted as mostly disorganised, but in reality were a formidable, organised force that required Alexander's great skill to defeat them. Many of the characters, including Cleitus & Darius III, the Persian king, were shown as young, but in reality were older men in their 40s & 50s. Alexander is shown as wounded in the battle at Hydaspes, but in reality, he was wounded in another engagement in India. There are many generalisations regarding Babylon, where imagery shows a combination of Assyrian, Babylonian, & Persian themes in the mostly Babylonian city that was one of the capitals of the Achaemenid Empire. Despite some fairly noticeable historical inaccuracies, some often less known facts are there, including that Ptolemy wrote that likely did exist & probably did burn in Alexandria centuries later when the famous Great Library burned.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.