[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/i/ - Oekaki

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
Draw Width Height
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: this fuckin thing.jpg (160 KB, 666x444)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
I hate drawing digitally
There's no fucking friction
brushes and pens and shit are confusing
they're never the right sizes, they're always too small or too big
they never look clean no matter what hardness or softness I put them at
I have no idea what settings to fuck with to make them look any good
Coloring is hard as fucking hell, I have no idea how the fuck you blend shit or anything
Like with colored pencils I can just fucking press harder or mix shit super easy not with digital no that'd be too simple

How the fuck do you make digital drawing bearable
>>
do it like a shit ton and you'll get used to it. usually your pencil work will still be better but it gets more bearable as you go on. also there are some pen nibs that sorta emulate the paper texture so there's a little bit of friction.

also a lot of brush settings come down to either asking other people what they use or just doing a shitload of experimenting. also even with the same settings, brushes look different based on which program you use. personally i think photoshop brushes suck, but sai has really clean lines.
>>
>>517818
I suggest work on your hand-eye coordination for about a month. That's how I progressed.
>>
>>517818
Lmao have you got pen sensitivity working for you? If not, it's a game changer.
>>
>>517869
I do
>>
>>517818
I actually preferred digital over traditional for the longest time so I may be able to help you.

Alright, what's your gear? What tablet and software do you use?
>>
>>517954
intuos pro and sai
>>
>>517818
it’s all about getting used to it my dude, you can also get custom pens
>>
>>517818
I used to draw on paper, after a week I got used to it.
>>
>>518194
Ditto
>>
>>517818
When it comes to the friction point, there are felt nibs that you can get that add texture or you can do what some people do and get a piece of paper from your sketchbook and tape it on to your tablet, so it adds that feeling back.

What do you mean brushes are never the right size? A lot of your anguish comes from not knowing your software. Start using it daily and make an effort to learn the software.
>>
>>517818
how do you make drawing bearable in the first place?
riddle me that
>>
I use a Cintiq .
I cant Stand Pads.
I still Draw a lot of my best, on quality pen and ink.
But I am Comfortable on my Tablet.
I some times even prefer it.

Takes a little adjustment period and using the right software.

I use BlackInk off Steam.
But that is for my Art Style.
I Mainly Only Use Ink Pens.
Fountain pens in daily life and on Digital.
>>
File: (312).png (15 KB, 880x902)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
https://youtu.be/ezjlEmOP6Ro?t=1m59s

Does anybody know how this artist is getting such smooth and thick lines with only 0.5 brush size? Whenever I try to use anything below brush size 1 I get skinny skippy lines like in pic regardless of what canvas size or resolution I use.
>>
>>517818
You just get used to it by doing it a lot, Anon. When I first bought my tablet like 4 years ago, I tried using it and thought I made a huge mistake purchasing it because it didn't seem like I was capable of using it at all, but by doing it more and more I just got used to how it worked.
So basically, the same way you make most things bearable: doing it a lot. Get off 4chan and go practice your art.
>>
>>518686
I don't speak chink and i don't use clip studio so this is just a guess, but i'm pretty sure it's all basic pen pressure shit. Set a certain size, make it so you have to press harder for thicker lines. There you go, not rocket science.

Fiddle with your max brush size and your tablets pressure sensitivity.
>>
>>518686
You're using the wrong program.
>>
>>518686
>dude didn't even need to rotate the canvas
>>
practice is the only way
>>
>>517818
I don't draw a lot but it's easy if you start sketching just messing doodles when you go full on a more complex draw your hand will be more relaxed
>>
>>517818
tape a paper over the tablet, some people actually do this but I'm already used to drawing with the normal tablet surface.
>>
yall lads tried playing osu! with any tablets?
>>
>>518113
I'll trade you tablets kiddo, not like you're ever going to gitgud.
>>
>>518686
they make it look so easy
what's funny is he isn't even one of the good ones
>>
>>522272
I did for a while. It isn't much different from mouse play, and it fucks your nibs up SO hard
>>
>>522272
Nigga osu is made for tablets, although Its weird at first for sure. The biggest benefit is that with a tablet your hand doesnt slip or gradually go off course.
>>
>>517818
just draw on paper, then scan it and use the tablet to trace your scanned line drawing.

drawing directly from the tablet requires either years of training or a very nice, big and expensive tablet PC's.
>>
>>522336
not true at all desu, my own worked fine, only took a few days to get a feel for it, or at least for it not to be awful.
>>
>>517818
Honest answer, if you hate it that much, work traditionally and don't bother with digital.

If you absolutely must work digital, what the others have said is true - like any medium you find difficult the only thing for it is to find out what you find difficult about it, and work specifically on those issues.

Is the gliding pen one of your biggest problems? (Accuracy?) find out how to be more accurate, things that help, then try them.

Possible solutions: Add friction paper to your tablet, work on a bigger tablet (improves accuracy), practice drawing lines from point to point as a warm up, use a software with a stabilizer for your lines (sai, clip studio paint, etc.)

Blending etc. IS hard as heck digitally, that sort of stuff just takes practice with the medium. You can also watch other peoples techniques (lots of people paint online/live and some explain what they're doing) and mimic their techniques for practice.

And how you blend stuff will probably change from program to program, different programs have different brushes and techniques that work better than other techniques for that particular program. Etc.

So yah, you have to cool down, figure out what your problems are, and then having identified them, think of, or specifically look for, solutions to those very specific problems.

That's 90% of the work of doing things in art, is knowing WHAT your problem is, and knowing that you have to then without distraction, find a specific solution to that specific problem. Treat it like a science.
>>
>>517818
From my own experience, the biggest problem with digital drawing is the disconnect between your hand and your eye.

Seeing what you're doing on paper while doing it versus looking at the screen is like night and day for some people (including me).

I got a tablet like pic related, and it was really something that made me almost give up on digital.

You either just have to stick with it and specifically train your mind to work with this disconnect (if you're a poor shmuch like me), or shell out a couple of grand on a wacom screen where you can actually see what you're drawing.
>>
>>522584
Biggest disconnect for me was size. I didn't realize it until I tried a bigger tablet after years of using a small one.

Some people find the smaller ones more comfortable for convenience, but I'm personally convinced the bigger the tablet the more accurate for sure. The difference I saw in my art was night and day. I started on a 4X6 graphire They used to be that small. And when I tried an 8x12, suddenly I could draw on screen pretty much the exact same as on paper. The size gave my lines much more stability.

The only other solution I've ever found to this problem is to use a program with stabilizers. (Like sai) for lines. This advice is of course applicable to non-screen tablets. I find drawing with a tablet as far as comfort goes, to be more comfortable than traditional art, even if I don't get results quite as good perhaps, because of the straight back, it's also more convenient in that your hand is never in the way, etc.

Part of the thing that makes accuracy more difficult though is that you're drawing in one direction only, you can't rotate a tablet. You can always rotate the canvas on screen, if you must, of course.
>>
>>522336
Bull, I use a dinky little Wacom Bamboo tablet and I can draw just fine with it.

A bigger one would be nice but it's not completely necessary.
>>
>>517818
When I first got my first tablet (Wacom Bamboo C480), I used it as a replacement for my mouse until I got comfortable using it. Everything else was simple after that.

In contrast, my issue is with things like cintiq (too rich for my blood but have still used them) and microsoft surfaces (own one but got it at a bargain). They just don't feel right to me, though it encouraged me to go back to using pen and paper for art again.
>>
>>517818
The [ ] keys usually change brush size.
Use a hard brush for outlines and blocking out colors. Shading with hard or soft depending on how you want it to look. Clip Studio's brush tool mixes color on the same layer automatically, in other programs maybe use opacity and blur or something. And then practice and have your hand on ctrl-z while doing line art to get cleaner lines.
>>
>>517818
Literally gitgud. That's all you can do

.>>522273
back off, this nigga tablet's mine.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.