[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/i/ - Oekaki

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
Draw Width Height
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 7 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Day 1.jpg (455 KB, 1920x1080)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
Got a tablet yesterday, finally trying to learn how to draw. This took about an hour. Post some early stuff you did to try and learn, I guess.
>>
>>578849
>>578665
Too hard using Oekaki. Hope i do better with SAI. Yours look pretty good for a first time.
>>
>>578850
Thanks, I'm gonna try to do at least one drawing (with effort) a day.
>>
>>578851
Same. Should start soon as well. Best of luck!
>>
File: Day 2.jpg (393 KB, 1920x1080)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
I was going to post this yesterday, but I got a day ban. It took me roughly 3 hours. I'm starting day 3 now (kinda late, hope I finish it).
>>
File: Day 3.jpg (449 KB, 1920x1080)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
Finally got it done. Took roughly 5 hours. Today I decided not to just copy the colors from the original image but to instead try to find them on my own so that I can try and better understand the color palette. I think they came out pretty similar, but I'm having a hard time getting the color of the face to feel human instead of doll-ish.
>>
File: Day 4.jpg (422 KB, 1920x1080)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
I was trying out something different with this one. I wasn't trying to carbon-copy the perspective/stance, instead opting to pretend the camera was slightly higher than it was in the source material, looking down. Also, as you can see, I didn't use coloring like in my other stuff. I tried to shade with lines instead of simply using a darker color for shadows (although thinking about it, I'm sure it would be easier to place a black layer above where I want it to be shaded and turn the opacity down. I'll test stuff like that out next time). If anyone's keeping up with my little blog, let me know if you like this line-shading thing or the darker-color technique better.
I lost track of time because I took a break in between, but if I had to guess, this took roughly 2 hours.
>>
Today was the day I got the inevitable wake-up call that I won't be able to produce something every single day, and that I should take breaks or else I won't get anywhere and I'll just get frustrated. I might have something tomorrow, but my next image is a bit larger than the rest, so maybe not.
>>
>>579317
Yeah. I would recomend just taking it easy, there are a lot of threads that could get a bump so you just can draw something quick and not as taxing.

I liked >>579088 the best, >>579125 looks good but >>579198 looks off so yeah dont work yourself too hard.
>>
>>579198
here's a good exercise for ya, try to make a carbon copy of a drawing with reference.

For the exercise, you have to draw an upside down drawing, and copy it closely. Try to frequently make comparisons between your drawing and your reference as you draw it, and make sure there is no difference in the lineart. You want the lengths, distances, angles (shapes) to be the more or less the same. I'm going to repeat that; literally stop and look to make sure it looks similar.

It's actually really easy to do even though it's upside down, because it's just copying lines, you'll learn a lot from it if you actually decide to do it. if all goes well, you will see art differently from now on.
>>
example
>>
File: upside down.jpg (84 KB, 700x967)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>
>>579595
So do mean to keep the reference up right while I draw its horizontal reflection? Or do I also flip the reference upside down and the idea is to see how weird it feels to draw someone upside down? Either way, it’d feel unnatural, but I guess that’s the point.
>>
>>579599
the reference is upside down, and your copy is upside down just like it. In fact you are literally just copying the upside down drawing line by line, and when you're done you turn it around to see how you did.

Because it's basically impossible to imagine what an upside down drawing looks like, this exercise forces you to not use your imagination and instead rely solely on your reference as your guide. But most most importantly it literally forces you to actually look at your reference closely in a way that you normally don't do. You can then try for a much higher degree of accuracy.

So now that you notice that there is a little bump on this line over there, and you'll try to get your bump to look similar. So you put the bend in the same spot where that one has a bend. Now you notice that your line is ever so slightly shorter than their line, so you make it a bit longer. Now you notice that this thing is about, give or take 2 thirds of this line away, so you draw it again around that far away - because you're not trying to make up your own drawing, do loose work, or infer anything, because you can't infer anything, it's fuckin upside down; you're just copying a bunch of lines as you actually see it - and when you're done you turn it over and see a good ass lookin drawering.
>>
hold on, i'm making a tutorial to clear everything up.
>>
File: tut so far.jpg (1.39 MB, 1024x8000)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
this is it so far. Not done yet
>>
OH MY GOSH IT'S FINALLY DONE
rip tho I have to put it into 2 parts.
>>
>>579638
aaand pt2
>>
>>579599
https://sites.google.com/site/ourwici/
https://hubpages.com/art/how-to-draw-learn
very useful links here that I have bookmarked and still come back to often
>>
>>579639
>>579638
>>579625
>>579622
>>579620
Thanks man. I'll be sure to try this out right after I'm done with what I'm doing right now. Also, I know you said the point of this is to make absolutely sure the lines are exactly the same as the reference, down to the bends and wiggles, but I've been trying to do that since day 1, although clearly I'm not as perceptive as I need to be right now.
>>
File: Job 5.jpg (414 KB, 1920x1080)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
Finally got an image done. This wasn't the 'big project' I've been talking about (I learned that it's stupid to draw people interacting while I still can't even draw a single person normally), but it still took me a few days. Honestly, I'm not really happy with the way it came out. Hands are naturally an issue, but I'm concerned with two things.
1) Face / facial expressions. Poor Christina looks weird, and I had a similar issue with Zakuro-chan in Day 3.jpg a while back where their faces just look abnormal. Eyebrows, eyes, mouths, noses, and especially hair are still tough. But I think the biggest problem for me is:
2) coloring. While working as of late I realized that my colors are really bland and soulless compared to my reference. Taking the color-copy tool or whatever it's called, I found out that the colors aren't the exact same even when they look like it. Take Makise's face for example. On the left side of her face, the skin color is ever so slightly darker than on the right side. Next time I work on something with colors, I'll try to use more layers. Then, I'll try messing around with gradients to reproduce this effect. If I'm being dumb or if anyone has any advice on that matter, please let me know.
Tomorrow I'll begin work on an upside-down drawing like the anon from the other day brought up. That's all, thanks for tuning into my blog. (Also, although I'm not posting nearly as often, I'm not giving up nor do I plan to. I'm just trying to spend more time on stuff.)
>>
>>580029
Forgot to mention the line going through left Kurisu’s hair is to show what I meant with the coloring thing. On the right, it blends in, but on the left, you can see a contrast. To me it all looks like one color, which is what I did for my image, but like I said I’ll try to change that next time.
>>
well fren, i'm happy to see you doing the work. This is more or less exactly what I did when I first started to learn. I'm pretty sure you're gonna make it. You're on the right path.

1: It looks weird because it's distorted. Copies are pretty much always going to be a little distorted so try not to be too sad. Even my own was a bit distorted. If you copy the face and head a bit closer, it shouldn't be as distorted.

2: I'm surprised you're even worrying about coloring lel, lineart is hard enough already to be confused by coloring, but I guess i'm biased because I never really cared for coloring, especially seeing as I did my first copies traditionally.
If you use the watercolor tool or (god forbid) the airbrush tool to make the gradients and you did a clipping layer over the base color, you can copy the shadows n shines much easier without having to worry about going off the base.
>>
>>580033
>I'm surprised you're even worrying about coloring lel
Call me weird, but art with good color palettes has always stood out to me for some reason. It's one of the reasons I liked DBGT and some other artists who don't have the best lineart, but their coloring makes up for it.
>>
I remember making this while messing around in Sai ages ago, I think it was my first full digital drawing.
>>
this one was my first one, messing around
>>
File: COLAH!.jpg (130 KB, 1000x800)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
first real attempt?
>>
File: sir cigi.jpg (730 KB, 2835x2835)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
>>578849
one of my 1st things i draw on tablet. its homeless gentleman

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.