[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1486719462156.jpg (32 KB, 338x480)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
does someone really have to learn realism to git gud at art or can they just draw thingsthat take from reality and pass?
>>
yes
>>
>>3708064
It would definitely help.
>>
>>3708064
god the things i would do to that creature hmpph
>>
File: 1543546429583.jpg (65 KB, 365x500)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>3708085
>>
>>3708064
What does realism mean? It's about the nuances, and not just drawing an image of a real person 1-1 . Have you ever wondered what makes a person look young or old? It's not just wrinkles. It's how their features are spaced. When the body is moved around, it changes shape, especially at the joints. You need to know anatomy to understand how and what and why. That is "realism" I'm not saying that you need to learn realism to draw. I'm saying that if you ever want to draw something that actually looks good and isn't a steaming pile of shit, you should learn realism.
>>
File: 208_209.jpg (542 KB, 2714x1920)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
>>3708064
I know you're talking about drawing animu girls, and the answer is yes, you absolutely need realism. All decent Japanese artists first learned the anatomy, perspective and other fundimentals and then applied their unique style over those. That's what makes anime look more interesting than most Western cartoons, where most artists are art school rejects that were unable to handle realism and went the easy route of IT'S NOT SHITTY ART IT'S MY STYLE.
Grind the fundamentals, only then you will be able to draw true animu girls. Don't be like modern Calarts """"""animators"""""" and have some respect for yourself.
>>
>>3708135
I wasn't referring to anime girls, but thanks for the advice
>>
>>3708064
source on this cute?
>>
>>3708064
drawing from imagination requires you to have knowledge of what it is you're going to draw + a 3D rendering engine in your head
using references effectively requires you to understand what the reference is and how it works (ex. where the straps on a chestplate go) and place that information correctly in your drawing
stylizing forms and features requires understanding what it is you're stylizing (ex. learning anatomy for characters) + knowing how you want to stylize it (looking up how other artists do it)
>>
Learning realistic proportions/anatomy/lighting and all that stuff is an extremely good first step, even if you're planning to do heavily stylised cartoony things. Too many people start with trying to stylise without knowing the basics, and that's when you end up with weird uncanny Tumblr artstyle shit. You can't break the rules without knowing the rules.
>>
>>3708064
Draw what you want anon, learning realism is just a meme here.
>>
>>3708223
He doesn't have to stick with realism, but at least knowing how proportions typically work really helps when you're doing cartoony stuff.

>>3708064 (OP)
As long as the proportions are consistent with the other limbs and other characters, you're good.
>>
>>3708232
People here misunderstand realism with fundamentals, they're related, but not the same thing.
>>
>>3708064
omgah so cute gave me beetus

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.