[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>being a good artist is not genetical
Is the biggest lie on this board.
To be a master artist your visual library needs to be massive, imagine a man that can draw a realistic human body from any angle with all the muscles placed correctly from his imagination.
Anyone can be a copycat and draw photocopies from references with enough patience unless you have no arms but having the eyes and the mind library of a master is not something everyone can train for. Just like there are stupid people, there are people with no imagination capacity or a way to make their imagination physical.
>>
>>3761061
To be a good artist you need to be smart, is all. That’s why it’s above your means.
>>
>>3761067
I just stated that, idiot.
>>
>>3761061
Your problem is how you define your words. You green texted a correct statement and tried to debunk a different claim. You don't need to be specially gifted to be a good artist, neither do you need to be a master draftsman. But a few people's brain is wired in a certain way that allows them to excel more than the good artists. But this is never is an argument for the "good" Artists to quit as long as they are creating value with their art for other people and for themselves. You only need a certain level of critical thinking skill to be in the good category, which are artists whose works certain groups of people like and are willing to pay for but are never going to be as popular or successful as the masters.
So yes some are more talented and will excel effortlessly compared to others but that's a stupid thing to complain about or quit art for.
>>
>>3761061
Genetical, you say? Please tell me more about how dumb you are.
>>
>>3761061
>Anyone can be a copycat and draw photocopies from references with enough patience unless you have no arms but having the eyes and the mind library of a master is not something everyone can train for.

There is a lot of middle ground.
It's full of good artists out there that aren't masters.
>>
>>3761061
>genetical
brainlet.
>>
>>3761061
Do you see everything in your life in such black and white terms? You sound like a 13 year old kid. There is more to Art than drawing an anatomically correct character in cool perspective. Perhaps look further into some fine artists you look down on who work from photos. You might realize some of them are making artistic decisions that require skill and understanding instead of copying their photo one to one. You might be misled by the instagram artists who make exact copy of celebrity photos they dont own. The creation of the photo reference itself requires more understanding than you might imagine.
>>
>>3761061
Yep. I gave up on being a professional because I clearly don't have the stuff. After many years my drawings are crude. I still draw and study because quitting makes me feel even worse but it's clear that I will never be good
>>
show me 5 professional artists that exclusively work from imagination without using any reference whatsoever.

I can think of two notable ones, 95% of working artists use reference even lots of people you'd think that don't.
>>
>>3761220
Any cartoonist like Chris Riddell. Moebius. Syd Mead. Riccardo Federici. Katsuya Terada. Most mangakas only use reference as an aid, they don't directly copy.
>>
>>3761061
>he hasn’t read Alla Prima II or anything above the 6th grade reading level for that matter
>>
>>3761067
Intelligence is genetic, you're agreeing with him, you brainlet.
>>
File: TpIluCr.gif (524 KB, 500x620)
524 KB
524 KB GIF
>>3761294
>he seriously believes in genetic determinism
>>
>>3761299
>anime
>is a retard
Like clockwork
>>
>>3761299
That's right anon, we are all special!
Don't let your dreams be dreams, you can be anything you want if you believe in yourself!
>>
>>3761305
believing less in genetics and more in the power of hardwork is unironically tied in with genetics

brainlets with the hardwork delusions perk got an advantage, man
>>
>>3761317
hard work can be taught you brainlet
>>
>>3761317
Procrastination at it's finest. It's not genetics it's taught from actually having to do work and not just sitting in a basement. It is taught and influenced by the people who have been and are in your life. Guess what if you have no responsibilities throughout your life then you're not gonna have instilled good habits when you're older.
>>
>>3761321
>>3761345
nothing can change the nature of a man
>>
>>3761370
you're an absolute idiot, the only way you can't change a man is if they're ignorant against change
>>
>>3761061
Yup you need to be genetically human, or at least have a function in which you can hold something to make art with, and need to be smart enough to understand basic fundamentals of 3d, geometry, and light and the will to train.

If for some reason you don't have these very basic aspects that pretty much every human being on earth has, congratulations retard, you now got a doctors note excusing you from drawing.

Feel free to fuck off from the drawing thread if you really are that stupid cause your input won't mean much.

If you don't lack these skills that stop whining and go train or you can still feel free to fuck off from drawing if it's too hard.
>>
>>3761244
Moebius used reference.
>>
>>3761157
>redarted
Jeanyus
>>
File: 7.jpg (762 KB, 2832x999)
762 KB
762 KB JPG
>>3761158
These artists use photograph as a tool. Anyone who thinks the skill to copy a photograph gives them the same result is living in an artistic echo chamber.
>>
>>3761379
this, only reason stupid people are stupid is cause they’re too stubborn to get intelligent
>>
>>3761061
Seen this thread a thousand times.
OP doesn't work hard enough and/or smart enough therefore needs something else to blame.

You should take up a religion, then you can just say "It's all part of god's plan" that you suck shit.
>>
>>3761061
>genetical
Not a word.

And, most if not all of the great master painters had models to work from, and once photography got affordable, worked from photos.

You're not wrong that imagination and a mental visual library and familiarity with subjects isn't crucial, but you're wrong in how they're used.

Most successful artists practice, and do roughs and comps, and sketch things in notebooks, to get familiar with the subject, and then pose a model, often building sets and props.

There are entire books on the sketches of Michelangelo. You should get a copy, and stop making nonsensical, try hard statements like this.
>>
>>3762519
>Seen this thread a thousand times.
>still /beg/
Really makes you think
>>
>>3761370
Holy shit, is that a motherfucking Planescape Torment reference?
>>
>>3762545
Nah, not really. The overwhelming theme here is autists who stubbornly cling to these made up ideas of what it takes to become an artist, and what an artist is. They will cling to these made up ideals, because their condition won't allow them to grow past them and learn. That's why this forum is less about art, and more about people on the spectrum virtue signaling to each other, and imposing ridiculous standards onto a vocation, and turning it all into a grim grind instead of a path of learning, growth, and joy. And they'll crab bucket anyone in their quest to prove they know more about art than the people who actually *are* artists.
I could teach someone more about art in one afternoon, one on one, than they could in a year. (And no, I'm not going to offer that here, don't ask.)
Some people just aren't cut out to be artists, for a million reasons. But it's a fun hobby, if you disregard most of what's posted here, and go investigate real art forums, classes, and meet other fellow aspiring artists, to share ideas and knowledge. This place is a flegellation forum of despair posts and irrational "standards". I've painted and drawn for more years than most of the people here have been alive, and I never ran into ridiculous ideas like "artists don't use reference" or "Artists don't use rulers" until I took a peek into this cesspool of autism.
There are some people here who know what they're talking about, and have good attitudes, but they're drowned out completely by the idiotic bellowing of try hards and mental illness.
>>
>>3763915
TL;DR LOL
Only a complete fucking lapping loser would post a a wall of text to defend himself on an anonymous cheese tasting board.
>>
>>3763910
If it was an actual pst reference he would've known that belief, belief can change the nature of a man
>>
>>3763923
Only an autist would complain about reading a couple of paragraphs, and try to ignore actual points I made, instead of hiding behind "tl;dr" like the pussy autist you are.

You're exactly who I'm talking about, btw. Stay triggered, it's amusing.
>>
>>3763982
post your work, larper
>>
>>3761370
LMAO

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.