[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 140 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: 1497595904082.jpg (1.02 MB, 3280x2638)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
Stupid Questions Thread and/or Questions that don't deserve their own thread and/or Vent thread

You ever stop working on something and when you come back it's better than you remember and you get the unshakeable feeling that if you try to work on this any more, that you're just gonna fuck it up and make it look worse?
>>
File: 250420450.png (422 KB, 700x800)
422 KB
422 KB PNG
>>3795656
I hate myself for having spent my youth jacking off and playing video games instead of doing anything else.
I'm bad. I'm missing deadlines like the manchild that I am.
And all I can do is vent on a dumb 4chink board. I hate letting life getting the better of me.
>>
Would anyone happen to have the /ic/ collection of drawing books for everyone of all levels, including beginners?
>>
File: asscandle.png (33 KB, 1024x606)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
autist here, how does this look for a learning path? I'd supplement it all and focus on areas I'm shit at of course
there's a lot of muh Loomis because I like his style

and which is betters, Keys to Drawing or Drawing on the Right Side? I've heard both have a lot of pseudoscience rambling
>>
>>3795732
All of those seem fine, as long as you remember one rule. You should be drawing more than your reading, and not just trying to absorb information though books. Put what you read into action
>>
>>3795656
Help, I'm pretty decent at drawing but 25% of the time I will sit down to draw and I literally can't remember how to draw form. Every sort of perspective or idea becomes a warped symbol or unidentifiable mess of scribble and It's incredibly frusturating. I just forget how anything works, its not artist block its just an inability to *get it up i guess. How do I get over this roadblock :"(? It's frequent and recurring and feels like being able to draw is a roll of the dice. Help. (not depressed)
>>
>>3795656
wow great thread, no answers, amazing
>>
Why the fuck does drawing skill vary so much day to day? One day I’m killing it and the next I can’t draw anything satisfying
>>
>>3795656
What the fuck! I never noticed the cat in this painting till now and I've seen this painting at least 30 times or more, in my life.
>>
>>3795957
Try using simple shapes like cubes and ellipsoids and draw in their form lines (you should draw an ellipse inside a circle to indicate it's a sphere) and then layer what you need on top of it. If you can't draw cubes and cylinders, it's over, NGMI.
>>3796169
If you're approaching things from a grounded way and still getting bad results, try taking a break or finding an artistic reference for what you're trying to do.
>>
my draftsmanship and lineweight are fucking terrible, it makes me so goddamn mad. will getting a mechanical pencil make it easier to improve these things or do i just need more practice? currently using an hb pencil.
>>
>>3796210
I use a mechanical pencil and personally I love it. I prefer it over standard pencils, and over pens (tho the deep blacks of pens are a cut above pencil lead). I love the weights I can get with a mechanical pencil
It may indeed be an issue of practice but I recommend getting a mechanical pencil to try out.
>>
>>3796117
Thank you for your patience. All of our anon's are currently busy. Please continue to wait and your question will be answered in the order it was received.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU
>>
>>3795663
You simply have bad habits. Self hatred wont help you ether. Ideally you could have someone in your life to help motivate you and to remind you to draw, help you move in the right direction. If you don't have that then you need to learn self-discipline along with self-motivation. Trust me I know how you feel, I may be projecting but you probably feel like you will always be a fuck up, you feel like you will never change, because every time you try to change you end up falling back into your old bad habits and this cycle has been repeating itself for years on end. Believe me when I tell you that it is possible to change your ways, it's possible to develop better habits, you can do it man.
>>
Looking for a cheap, portable laptop/tablet for animating on the go. Does anyone have any experience with the Windows Surface family or 4GB-8GB for Adobe Animate?
>>
File: 1544524453639.jpg (482 KB, 1280x2048)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
What's a decent art desk I can buy that can fit an Intuos large along with a keyboard and Monitor on?
>>
>stops drawing for weeks due to depression
>goes back and instantly draws better and improved vizualisation

Every fucking time
How the actual fuck
>>
Is drawing the hardest skill to learn?
>>
>>3798595
Yeah probably
>>
>>3798595
>he haven't watched jiro dreams of sushi
>>
When drawing anime canary should it be in the style of the anime or one's own style??

I'm afraid of drawing known anime characters in my own style sometimes makes them unrecognizable.
>>
>>3798595
>>3798611
Each usual art or sport skill is extremely hard to master, each have their own difficulties and subtleties that take super long to actually really understand and mature.
>>
File: 14COhR2.png (24 KB, 512x512)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>3797380
I've had this happen a couple of times, I think it's because you lose perspective of what's actually good, and think you're doing better, but you're doing exactly the same or even worse than before.
Still, i don't really know, it's really confusing lol
>>
My work looks too similar to others. I'm worried people will think of me as a wannabe or knockoff version of them. I wish I could undo this, start from scratch, and be a special snowflake.
>>
>>3798595
>hardest skill to learn
>a kid can pick up a rock and draw in dirt within seconds
/ic/ is a joke.
>b-but that's not real drawing
Way to draw out the definition and not judge other skills by the same standard.
>>
>>3798657
Jiro plays life like a game. Trying to maximize potential of every single ingredient and every single step of the process. In that sense, he simply makes it harder on himself because it's a luck game in which the best materials have to appear in front of him all at exactly the right time and place. It was an exciting documentary. Although probably not best to take his beliefs unto yourself unless you're able to stay sane.
>>
>>3798722
What does it mean to "master" a skill anyways?
>>
>>3795656
Trying to do some human skull studies today but I'm having trouble finding one of those images that shows how far certain anatomical structures are from one another (like, the eyes are exactly one eye space away each other, the bottom of the nostril is equivalent to the bottom of the ear, that sort of thing.) Could anyone give me a hand on what to search so I can find something like that?
>>
>>3796241
not him but

>you probably feel like you will always be a fuck up, you feel like you will never change, because every time you try to change you end up falling back into your old bad habits and this cycle has been repeating itself

that hit me right in the gut, i feel like people are drawn to this board that feel this way, and might be part of why its such a negative experience. so many mean shitposts are surely projections from those of us who are mad about art and life in general. i hope you anons get through your struggles and begin loving art again. too many times have i drawn furry pin ups to put groceries in the fridge, i think im a goner
/vent
>>
>>3798993
Fuck, I'm an idiot. I searched "skull art proportions" and found what I was looking for nvm.
>>
Should I mess with my tablet screen mapping options or just leave it at full screen? I have a small tablet
>>
I want my art to scream round brush, does anyone know artists who use round brushes for linework/texturing?
>>
>>3799182
Enable force proportions.
>>
>>3798882
>not judge other skills by the same standard
All skills can be judged by the standard you just used. A kid can find a piano and just smash keys on it, a kid can throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and call it cooking, a kid can do 1+1=2.
>>
I actually will miss tumblr and deviantart. I liked how they seemed more enthusiastic when I tried new techniques, new palettes, etc. Instagram and Twitter's taste is more pedestrian.
>>
>>3795656
I did it. Can finally draw cute grill from imagination. Took 3 years but it's done.
>>
Anyone know if there is a program that can assign a stroke outline to the brush tip itself instead of just the layer? CSP has 'border of watercolor' but it is limited to black and is more aliased.
>>
>>3798691
absolutely your own style
>>
Im writing a paper in uni about straws in pop ulture. Do any of you know any good paintings where a straw is depicted?
>>
>>3796914
No you're gonna dump your monitor and keyboard on the floor so fast that way. Get a normal desk, put your monitor up on some books or something to put it up to the height you need, and get a table easel for your tablet.
>>
>>3798879
Probably because you've done much more learning from tutorials/livestreams/studies of artists you like, instead of your fundamentals, right?

Study from life, learn your fundamentals, make them your bitch. You'll be enlightened and suddenly you'll understand what people mean when they say "study your fundies and life drawing first and your style will come to you naturally"
>>
>>3796169
thats how life is. drawing is the reflection of life through the mind of a lifeform(you) means not always going the way you want it
>>
>>3795656
if girls look at me like in the op pic do they want to hang out?
>>
File: GODDAMNIT.webm (1.89 MB, 1920x796)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB WEBM
>>3795656
>drawfag for a thread
>get some (you)'s and thanks and that's it
>there's another drawfag too
>the thread immediately turns all their attention to him, going ecstatic and treats him like a celebrity, newfags asking for his blog etc
I'M TRYING MY BEST FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
Where else can I post my shit for some validation?
>>
>>3801701
Study ~appeal~
>>
there's something real eerie about what separates functionality and application in photoshop because it's so full of bloated functions

either there's a broadly prepreventable memory issue prompting a visit to the settings window, or some other oopsie daisy fuckup comparable to your computer wanting to turn on sticky keys
>>
>>3795656
I DONT HAVE THE FUCKING PATIENCE TO DO BORING STUDIES ANYMORE

IVE BEEN DRAWING FOR ONLY 3 YEARS AND I CANT SIT THROUGH A LONG STUDY NOW

GOD DAMMIT FUCK I CANT STAND IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

thanks for the vent session guys this was fun. im going to go sepuku now
>>
>>3801954
np man cya next time
>>
So you've got blue color, Where do you go to make it cooler?
>>
>>3801970
Make sure it’s a true cool blue and not a red blue, compare it to other blues - colour is relative
>>
>>3801977
what is cooler - red or yellow?
>>
>>3801985
Pretty sure yellow is more of a neutral colour, but I may be wrong
A true red is the warmest colour on the colour wheel
>>
>>3801970
Add green, or small amounts of yellow.
>>
>>3795656
i am looking into learning basic animation, i have two tablets im loking at
a used intuos 4 for 100 dollars
and a like-new intuos 3 for 40
can any one recommend me either
>>
File: outline.png (217 KB, 1525x1162)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>3800301
Your problem seemed interesting so I played around a bit in brush settings.
You can make a ( ) shaped tip to emulate the effect, but the edges will draw on top of each other.
Another way to do it is to get a round tip and a round dual brush, smaller than the tip. Set it to linear height and adjust transfer to make it look like it cuts through the tip. The edges won't draw on top of each other on the same stroke. This doesn't work with size control though.

Unfortunately I think the stroke filter is still your best option.
>>
>>3802382
Thank you for this! True I might have to stick with multilayer stroke for some things but the others could be useful for what I'm doing.
>>
File: 1491750096018.jpg (31 KB, 437x501)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Legit question, no vent, I'd like some opinions

Is it possible to not enjoy art as much as someone else but still want to get good at it, at least to an intermediate level/twitter artist skill if that term means anything to you?
Basically
>find out i like drawing as a kid.
>never draw too much, during some years i dropped drawing entirely because i saw it just as a little hobby and didn't consider any career/development.
>eventually get serious with it (months ago)
>realize everyone else that wants to become a pro puts in massive amounts of work
>mfw i draw 1 hour a day on average and that's it.
Like, I get discipline is a big thing if you want to do something like this, but some of the artists I admire put huge amounts of work in simply due to enjoyment, or so I see.
What do you guys think? I'm planning to make a schedule and build a habit, but I'm still bewildered I tend to be so unmotivated in art when these people have seemingly endless energy and only occassionally have art slumps.
>>
>>3802518
If you don't feel the passion to be drawing 24/7 you probably shouldn't force yourself since you will just burn out and resent it also I wouldn't aim for pro if you don't have that drive there already.
There is nothing wrong with doing art as you feel like it and keeping it as an active hobby while you pursue other main careers especially since going pro can have so much luck involved it's not the best to hedge bets on it.
>>
File: 333333.png (317 KB, 596x862)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
am i going crazy or did loomis make a mistake here, 3 and 4 should be switched
>>
I exported one of my PS brushes with AbrMate and used the texture to create a brush in CSP but the brush is extremely laggy at sizes above 140px. Anybody know why that could be? It honestly goes for many brushes in CSP, performance is absolute dogshit. Intuos L/WinTab mode/CSP color mixing turned off/high brush gap but it still happens.
>>
>>3795656
so I'm a begfag and I have always wonder this
When I search for painting progress for fun
I see one kind of artist draw sketch then refine line then color/render etc etc
I see another paint a blob of paint then refine the silhouettes shape and edge then render
so can anyone tell me what the pro and con of each and how will the result different
>>
>>3802569
!!
>>
>>3801970
desaturate/white
>>
>>3802569
u correct about the pec, i assume 3 is lat. its tiny though
>>
>>3802585
Doing things differently broadens your horizons and teaches you new ways to think and work through things. Some people find out they feel more comfortable doing it one way or the other. Working with large shapes and blobs at the start tends to be a more exploratory method where you're not really sure what you want to do, but you just start putting paint on the canvas then search for things that catch your eye and grow them into ideas. But you can still use this method even if you have a clear idea of what you want to do.
Sketching with line is the most comfortable way to start out for most people I think.
Try everything because that's the only way to truly appreciate what everything means.
>>
At minimum, what materials should a $30,000 oil painting be made out of? Is there some special canvas that ensures it lasts forever? Certain brands of paint that are deemed worthy? I'm a fairly talented layperson, I want to "practice" oil painting by just painting full pieces each time, and hopefully if I ever am really good and in demand it'll all be worth something
>>
>>3802871
Don't get ahead of yourself. There's a much higher chance you'll waste money on expensive oils rather than ever sell a painting for thirty grand. Unless you've already sold something for a decent amount, in which case you're better off asking art dealer connection rather than 4chan anons.
>>
>>3802871
>he thinks it's about materials
A Snake Oil Salesman could sell nothing and still get money.
>>
File: 1537677841543.jpg (74 KB, 610x610)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
How do I stop being heavy handed when I draw? I noticed that when I try to draw lightly, it either all comes out very dark, or I just have trouble holding my pencil and drawing lightly to the point to where I can barely make a straight line.
>>
>bought a new masters academy subscription yesterday despite being broke
>now they're giving away free trials
>>
>>3802936
They were only able to give away free trials because you paid money, anon. Be grateful your money made a difference.
>>
>>3802940
lol
I'd rather they use it to bring back Sheldon Borenstein instead of
>dude free shit lmao
>>
>>3802914
Draw more
>>
>>3802936
also i just happened to sign up for a monthy subscription on the month with the least number of days lmfao
>>
>>3802936
just buy 1 month and download most of the important stuff bro
>>
File: 367722.jpg (327 KB, 1060x1500)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
I really like the smooth/watercolour(?) brushstrokes in this image. I know SAI can do this (unsure about CSP)

Is there any tips to replicate it on Photoshop? I assume it has less to do with the brush/brush properties and more like mixing?
>>
>>3802999
Oh I have a brush that's just like that sai watercolor/smooth brush but for Photoshop let me look around for the file bro
>>
How do I get art friends to show my drafts to so they can point out my dumb anatomy fails before I try to ink anything?
>>
>>3803037
I'd really appreciate it anon
>>
>>3802999
the blur/blend tool in ps. take a soft round and up the spacing and spread on it.
>>
Hey guys, does anybody have any opinions on Pluralsight? Are any of the art courses good?
>>
File: Clayton Schiff.jpg (127 KB, 1000x991)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>3795656
is drawing people's low-effort fursona's dirty money, or should i just do it?
>>
>>3804190
There's not a lot of clean money to be had out there. I would if I could. Just remember your 'per hour wage' and whether or not you'd rather spend ~$10-20/hr to be watching netflix then doodling some furfags shit.
>>
>>3803068
join a crit discord?
>>
File: 1493005835571.jpg (28 KB, 300x300)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
There used to be some threads on /ic/ with mega link full of useful artbooks and references, someone has them?

Also a folder with only references (models, faces, hands etc.) would help too.
>>
Any suggestions for paper and sketchbooks that bode well with:

Ballpoint (not rollerball/gel)
Fountain Pen?
>>
>>3804218
thanks. and dang.
>>
File: sketch (3).jpg (81 KB, 1199x664)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Tired question I know but help me find this brush/texture
It seems like a simple enough pastel/pencil brush but I can't quite reproduce it
I use CSP, I've been messing with brush tip and texture but no luck
Artist is @triuni_h
>>
File: 33cg.gif (922 KB, 440x248)
922 KB
922 KB GIF
Should I bother getting better at drawing from the shoulder when I almost exclusively draw digital and my tablet is roughly only A4 size?.
>>
>>3805083
It'd be nice to avoid carpel tunnel. And more ways to do the same thing is always a nice skill to have, especially if you ever get a bigger tablet or someone wants your help doing something arty in the real world.
>>
Looking for artists I can follow to study cross-hatching, ideally ones who put out tutorials/timelapse videos. Any suggestions?
>>
>>3804729

>>3790446
>>
>>3805206
Michelangelo.
>>
File: brush.jpg (88 KB, 673x836)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>3805069
best I can give you bro,
>>
>>3805083
>>3805100
Piggybacking off of this to say that I switch between the two because I have better control over large sweeping lines with the shoulder. cuts down on spamming control-z
>>
>>3805211
What's his twitter?
>>
>>3805226
>>3805100
Alright, I'll keep doing it then. But right now all I do is draw little circles, what else should I be doing to help improve drawing from shoulder?
>>
>>3804190
from someone who does this shit when they need money and NEETs the rest of the time:

I can't fucking stand it. I hate it. I feel like shit drawing it. I can jack off to furry porn and it's fine, but drawing it feels awful. It made me fall out of love with art. Just make a portfolio and use upwork for beginner jobs, please anon, save yourself from the furfag cesspool. It's taken by autistic kids who really love furries and Slavic art students who manipulate the currency exchange anyway
>>
>>3805360
Draw little circles with your shoulder. And lines and whatever else drawabox is telling you to do
>>
File: forms and connectshuns.png (557 KB, 801x925)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
>>3805371
I'm already drawing circles though, I said that in the post you replied to
>whatever else drawabox is telling you to do
actually I'm reading brandon hampton's book
>>
>>3805360
Also try doing a regular drawing just from the should to see where you're at in applying everything. Get to assess where you are and practice weird lines.
>>
>>3805369
your insight is appreciated, thank you

although it feels like whenever i go on upwork, they want 600 hours of drawing for $4.
>>
Can someone please check the perspective on this box?
You guys are the experts.
I need help.
>>
>>3805550
It's a box. It looks like the average 2-point perspective. What more do you want us to say?
>>
>>3805556
I want to know if the perspective looks off.
I’ve seen people on here do this.
>>
File: xyE2oSX.png (209 KB, 1366x768)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>3805560
With just a box? I mean stuff like that is a lot eaiser to tell if you have a bunch of stuff that can be out of perspective. It's less important when you have a total of 6 lines, more important when you have several dozen lines on top and overlapping each other.

But yes, the perspective looks off, you can check this for yourself by dragging the lines out to where they would want to meet, and see that they don't all meet at the same spot
>>
>>3795663
Stop bitching, stop making up excuses. You know you’re a lazy fuck, don’t sleep on your laurels and start working. The start will be the most painful shit in the world until you get used to your new routines
>>
>>3805573
It is really appreciated my man.
Thank you sincerely.
I don’t have programs or apps to do this sort of stuff.
>>
>>3805586
Go to sketchup.com, it's the free web version of the architectural app, and you can make simple forms and see them from several angles, and use guides to indicate sightlines.
>>
>>3802999
You could replicate this easily in Photoshop. Don't rely on other people's brushes, learn to make your own, it's not hard.

I see a mixture of simple round brushes with varying opacity and edge hardness. You don't need a "watercolor" brush for this, you just need to gain confidence with basic brushes, and learn how they work and what their entire range of variables is.

I've been using tablets and a 34HD cintiq for years, I've only ever downloaded on brush, a pencil brush, the rest I make as needed, and save my favorites.

(The pencil brush I use is "Pencil_Brush_by_KoiFishSushi", I've had it forever, there might even be better ones out, but I'm comfortable and familiar with this one.)

90% of the time I use a plain old round brush, and vary the opacity, repeat, and edge hardness. Sometimes I get exotic - I wanted good lightning bolts for a project, so I went outside and dug up a bunch of roots in the yard, washed them off, and threw them on the scanner. I used them to create lightning bolt brushes, that ended up looking pretty cool. If I want a texture like cloth or noise, I scan something or use a texture file and build a brush - that's all the guys who sell brushes do.
>>
>>3805592 <——— Hero status achieved!
>>
>>3805510
youre not wrong about upwork, just be careful and patient, and make your portfolio the best you possibly can to snag the better jobs
>>
How do I even enjoy art?
I can't stand being bad at something, and according to everyone I know, I'm going to be bad for at least a year, even if I grind hardcore 8+ hours a day.
>>
Is making it in the industry even worth it?
In high school I used to draw all the time. I used to want to be a concept artist who specialized in monsters. But I was told that people who drew furries and porn (both stuff I've drawn) get blacklisted. And it made me paranoid of the cringey-chunni midde-school past being dug up.
Now I hate the direction of videos games. I kind of dropped out from trying to make it as a concept artist. I still like the idea but hate the thought of losing creative freedom.
Now I'm debating if going on the pateron porn artist path is better.
>>
>>3805718
>Now I'm debating if going on the pateron porn artist path is better.
The absolute state of logic and reasoning. This is a joke right? It's at least half original.
>>
WHY THE FUCK IS IT SO HARD TO SIMPLYFY SHIT INTO FORMS
>>
File: 1509687864863.png (863 KB, 494x703)
863 KB
863 KB PNG
On commissions (especially bigger ones) i get in a weird headspace where i since /ic/ taught me to strive and never be complacent i feel like i can never work at the expectation the clients want me to, despite working my hardest. But each of them have been satisfied since they saw the level of work on my tumblr/HF and the work i deliver is around the same quality.

I have no reason to feel down about it because in the end there's no problem but i can't beat myself up thinking i won't do a good job (when i do).
>>
File: 1549742225421.png (72 KB, 400x216)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>3795656
how do you get commisions?
>>
>>3805968
this is one of the reasons i can't do many personal commissions any more. Im not complacent enough to be time efficient, and work too hard on small jobs. you aren't alone anon
>>
>>3796284
I have a warning about at least the surface pro 4 and 5. Got a used SP4 to replace my dying laptop and be able to draw with it but it started having screen shaking/blurring. It turns out that Microsoft didn't ensure proper cooling for even minimal load (1 web browser window) and it overheats causing the screen digitizer to mess up. Not all of them have this issue but a large number do and there is no software fix aside from a shit workaround that updates the screen every few seconds that'll correct it temporarily. Microsoft's solution was to offer to replace it within a time limit but even the newest model has the same problem.
>>
>>3805977
find a niche (easiest way imo lol)

>>3805978
glad to know i'm not the only one brother jack.
>>
>>3805680
There's drawing for practice, which is hard work and not fun, and then there's drawing for fun.
>>
>>3798595
No. As a science fag I can say confidently there are always harder tasks and fields of study. Everything has a learning curve and anything can seem ridiculously hard depending on where you are on it.
>>
>>3802914
Something that helped me was practicing just hovering slightly over the paper with the pencil, making circles and lines in the air. Just focus on holding the pencil stable and not touching the paper. This makes sure that you're not relying on pressing the pencil to the paper to keep it steady. You might also want to experiment with adjusting your grip.
>>
>>3800301
This is much more of a vector graphics effect than a raster one. This is a shit solution depending on if you want to do actual drawing but Inkscape handles all strokes as vector paths with an outline and body that you can manipulate separately. You could import your work into inkscape, do the outlined strokes then import back to krita/photoshop/sai/ms pain or whatever to continue drawing.

disclaimer: Inkscape is frustrating and really crap in a lot of ways.
>>
Who else can't get the motivation to read through the art books in the sticky? I'm fine with grinding through practice for hours each day but I become impatient reading through art books. I wanted to know if anyone in the same situation found alternatives that feel more pleasant. Call this a spoon-feeding if you want but I'm not interested in "making it" as a professional artist, merely being in a situation where I'm satisfied with my progression so I can enjoy drawing more.
>>
>draw something
>looks great
>start painting
>need to use select/transform dozens of times to fix drawing errors
>this will never fucking translate well into traditional when i get around to it
>>
What are some digital tools or tips that /ic/ uses? Been transitioning to digital from paper and it's been frustrating, then I find out certain things exist like pureref or certain settings in krita. Also what shortcuts do people assign on their tablet, I don't normally have room for a keyboard, mouse and tablet so I'm not sure what functions to prioritize.
>>
>>3805987
how do you draw for fun when everything looks bad?
>>
>>3806095
It's all about letting your pencil and ideas flow on paper with outcome dependency. Drawing for fun is about the process, not the result. You get better by practicing the fundies with focus.
>>
>>3806104
I meant WITHOUT outcome dependency. Sorry.
>>
File: 1536616115101.jpg (14 KB, 384x384)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>3806104
>this flowery nonsense that does't explain anything
this is why people hate talented artists that skated by with 0 effort: they give shitty advice
>>
>>3806110
I mean, if you can't understand that I don't know how to help you. It's like the difference between playing ball with your friends on a weekend and practicing very specific drills everyday for hours on a blistering sun.
>>
>>3806110
>talented artists that skated by with 0 effort
lel sure ting buddy
>>
File: 1545967422990.jpg (39 KB, 500x411)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3806120
>implying talent isnt a thing
>>
>>3806123
Talent is a thing, but thinking they arrived at a pro level without effort is just straight up dumb.
>>
>>3806126
talent makes it easier to go pro
its very easy to tell if an artist is just a talented fuck or a real one who grinded his skill, just by what kinda advice they give out
>>
How many followers did you have when you opened your Patreon? How many people became a patron after you announced it?
>>
>>3806130
and what advice is that anon?
>>
File: fuck me.jpg (53 KB, 540x556)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I just want to draw as i always have, why the hell have i been acting up for the past month? I don't understand. I want to draw so badly but my head will start to hurt like crazy… It's not even to update art blogs or stuff like that, i just want to draw. Fuck, man. I try to put on some music, get in the zone, use references, switch back and forth from traditional and digital, nothing works. My head starts to hurt 5 minutes into drawing. Maybe it's the autism, or something like that.
>>
>>3805069
Have you tried using the chalk or crayon brush under Pastel? That's the closest I could get.
>>
>>3797380
Maybe just taking a break helps.
>>
>>3802914
Try using a harder lead maybe?
>>
>>3805977
Market yourself. People cant commision you if they dont know you exist
>>
Is there a good 3d model cast of the body with simple forms like the Asaro head? Most of the stuff I see on Sketchfab is either too amateurish to study from or it's overly detailed. I just want the simple form.
>>
>>3805851
You gotta keep drawing till you start seeing.
>>
wanna get an android tablet to draw in bed with

what do y'all think is good? i like the samsung s3/s4 but desu i don't really care about specs as long as it has pressure sensitivity and isn't too skinny (as in in, significantly longer than it is wide)
>>
How do I live knowing that I'll always be a subpar artist?
>>
>>3807278
>How do I live knowing that I'll always be a subpar artist?
First get that idea out of your head. People out in the world aren't as harsh as /ic/ also remember the average person doesn't have a trained artist eye and probably won't even notice the mistakes we notice. Always strive to get better, but don't let it stop you from getting work done. I've seen art around my town be it in, parks, restaurants, hotels and malls that have flawed artwork, but the people who made those works still got paid. Only other artist will notice your art mistakes, unless they're really really bad.
>>
File: Capture.png (65 KB, 377x376)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
I've been pursuing art for some years now, usually i do very different stuff than this, but every now and then i draw this sorta stuff. Very lately tho, I've run to some financial issues, especially with taxes and insurances. So i was thinking if maybe doing some porn on the side could help a little bit at least. I live in third world country so i don't need that much overall. I dont
really mind doing furry stuff or fetishes.

You guys got any advices for kicking off my porn drawing career? I can render/paint pretty well besides that if that's any help.Anything goes really, platforms that i can post on, tags, communities etc.
>>
>>3806110
Back in your bucket, crab.
>>
File: 123.jpg (47 KB, 604x537)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
in the Keys to Drawing book, I'm told to hold my hand out in front of me and draw it, and also draw a pepper in front of me (I don't have one)

is there a difference between just taking a photo of my hand or finding a picture of these things to use?
>>
>>3804710
>disc
there is one?

>>
File: 1461458447276.jpg (48 KB, 624x950)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Why do I revert to /beg/ when I try to draw big?
>>
>>3807352
/ic/'s harshness has nothing on my own self criticism. I'm tired of finding way better, more ~talented~ artists everywhere I go. I'm worried that I'm getting too old and won't improve.
I made no gains last year.
>>
>>3807800
>I made no gains last year
Did you grind fundies, though?
>>
File: 1544983458828.jpg (354 KB, 1120x1556)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
>>3806007
I haven't looked at the sticky in a long time but forget about books that are Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain and any Loomis if you're a beginner. Too much art material talks about art as something mystical and intangible instead of something concrete that you can practice and improve on. The better books have prose that is interesting to read and applicable to the lessons being taught instead of shooting sunshine up your butt.
>>
>>3806021
I keep my left hand on my keyboard and draw with my right hand. I use mostly keyboard shortcuts because they're all easy to reach and sometimes with different programs I forget what I have the tablet buttons set to beyond my top two which are create layer and delete layer. Optimize your screen space and learn shortcuts. I find digital most similar to ink and marker work in terms of workflow, also get used to painting then switching to eraser to get the shape you want with more control (a lot of programs let you switch to eraser by holding E, letting go will spring it back to the previous tool you were using like a brush). Also much less work planning ahead.
>>
>>3807429
>is there a difference between just taking a photo of my hand or finding a picture of these things to use?
Yes. Your hand is right fucking there unless you're an amputee. Transferring a 3D object you observe in life is different than copying a picture where all the hard work is already done for you. If you don't have a pepper, find something else similarly organic.
>>
>>3807469
there's like a billion. search 'discord' in the ic archives, see if you can find any live ones
>>
File: kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg (166 KB, 660x800)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
I know nothing about art and I want to know if it's possible to make the pic related through digital art?

If not, is it only possible through painting? If so what type of painting, oil?

A rough estimate of how long it would be to be able to paint at that level would be extremely appreciated
>>
>>3807955
You can pretty much make anything physical with digital and viseversa, it's just a question of how good you are at the materials and workspace and how much time you're willing to put in to make something look good.

But to make something of that level starting from nothing, would probably take you over a decade of training, if not longer.
>>
>>3807955
it will take a very long time, I know that much
I can't see how you'd be able to paint something like that in less than 5 years, and even then that would be some insane progression and grinding as the apprentice of a skilled painter

what's true is that the sooner you start the earlier you'll be able to paint at that level
>>
>>3807955
the goose is loose
>>
File: 14176559685.jpg (74 KB, 600x805)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
is this book good?should i follow his schedule?
>>
>>3808111
Yes.
>>
>>3808114
ok
>>
>>3807955
Well, it took the artist Guillermo Lorca to reach a level of skill at 30 to produce it, so I'd say at least 10 years, with art education and training in classical technique. (Which digital does not do way with the need for)
>>
>>3808111
no, it's a meme unironically. there's a reason hardly anyone talks about it today aside from some guy who always posts vk links
>>
>>3808250
Where do I go to learn classical technique? Is that more expensive to learn than modern techniques?
>>
I want to make it (have a career that allows me pursue my plastic vision without leaving me on the streets). I'm also very old (boomer age bracket)

Recently, I was approached by a porn VN dev and they really like my work, So far I've never done porn but I have plenty of nude pieces.

Would it be wise to take this gig or would it fuck me over with better, more proper chances in the future?
>>
>finally starts to get a grasp of fundamentals and unlock skills after all these years

>doesn't feel the need to draw anymore

Noooo
no no no no no
FUCK
I'm so fucking mad. I thought drawing was my only chance to do something of my life
>>
>>3808289
Seriously why does this happen? Is it overblown expectations of a dream?
>>
>>3808281
Post nudes
>>
can i get good just by copying others?
>>
>>3808484
Yes.
>>
>>3808486
can you elaborate?
>>
>>3808488
No.
>>
>>3808492
can you just say yes and no?
>>
>>3808484
IF you copy with actual cognitive mind. you are not gonna ever improve if you do that without studying it. copying is mere the method, not a solution.
>>
File: 1514516697836.png (32 KB, 633x758)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>getting the ambition to draw again after a long pause of 5-6 years
>draw again, feeling happy with the help of references and shit. Improve without even drawing.
>3 days pass, i wanna give up again because i dont improve to god-level intantly
How do i stop this shit gut feeling ,/ic/? Why am i being a raging fag?
>>
>>3808495
>actual cognitive mind
what did you mean by this? like feeling the form and this kind of stuff?
>>
>>3808281
Take every opportunity you have,anon. Whats the worst that can come out of it? At least it will make you explore stuff that you havent before :)
>>
>>3808499
Knowing why that muscle is there and how the skeleton ties together for example. Dont copy the lines without thinking "why is this here"
>>
>>3808508
gonna keep that in mind
thanks!
>>
Is an ipad with procreate a good option to start digital art?
>>
>>3808496
Easy. Just get good instantly.
>>
File: 1398324234139.jpg (11 KB, 312x295)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>3808622
hah... thanks, friend! Here, have my upvote and reddit gold and silver!!
>>
File: DwxPPxiV4AA2c3U.jpg (441 KB, 1536x2048)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
How is this Cintiq mounted?
>>
How do I get better at drawing people with glasses on?
>>
>>3809421
There's an ergotron arm peaking out above.
>>
File: ANGERY.jpg (279 KB, 1200x1440)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/form-gesture-anatomy-course-simplified-ecorche-da380ff2ef42414a8eeebc9d49db5f71

this accurate? want to learn from it
>>
File: 1483075932621.jpg (932 KB, 1487x2000)
932 KB
932 KB JPG
Does anyone know why color theory works?

I don't mean practically how it works, we've all seen the charts on complimentary colors and shit, I get that. Has there ever been a decent explanation of WHY, say, humans like orange and blue mixed together in certain ratios? The closest I can get is 'some arcane evolutionary biology' but I think more precision would be really interesting.
>>
>>3808281

Take the gig, you don't have to put your name on it if you don't feel comfortable with it but you'll get money and experience regardless.
>>
>>3809840
no. it's someone else's shitty practice
>>
>>3809873
But if you read the description it says he's the owner of a drawing class that spans several different countries and that it's a resource he made to help his students.
>>
Does construction eventually lead you to being able to visualize things on paper? At the moment I feel like construction is more of an algorithm that you follow and trust that you end up with something that looks right. But I can never feel it as I'm working through it.
>>
>>3809851
Start looking at the psychology of color. It's a pretty well researched field. Nobody knows why, because we don't have that level of knowledge of how the brain works, but we've studied the effects of color on people. It's not stuff I've dived deep into, but I know there's a lot of material out there.
>>
File: 1600791.jpg (24 KB, 600x430)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Look right above the Wacom, in between the mousepad and the keyboard, the silver bit? That's a monitor arm. Wacoms all have VESA mounts. i think that's an iMac in back.

I have my HEAVY 24HD Cintiq on a dual monitor arm, way better than the boat anchor stand it comes with.
>>
Any good method to do this when working digitally? Was invaluable in figure drawing class although sometimes I got headaches, and doing it with a bright screen has at one point given me a migraine. Was wondering if there was a better method of doing this that translates well to a digital medium.
>>
>>3809851
different frequencies of light effect our brain and cause it to do different shit which produces different chemicals and fires certain synapses that produce various results which lead to our brain interpreting colors schemes in certain ways?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCxuWm6C9eA

what brush was used here?
>>
>>3809745
Try drawing glasses onto heads you've done before, or even just draw them on top of ref photos till you get the hang of it. The legs and nose parts are always on the same place so focus most on the lenses and you're good.
>>
File: 1545152335692.jpg (427 KB, 2000x1000)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
Where can I look at high quality anime art without all the shitty fan arts or porn next to it?
>>
>>3810075
Turn down the brightness of your screen, google bluelightfilter (flux). As for the measuring digitally, I guess you could put your physical measuring utensil directly on to the screen if you wanted.
>>
>>3810312
Turning down the brightness and using flux is the worst possible advice, as it stomps on value and hue.

Nobody doing art should be using flux on their monitor, period.
>>
>>3810075
Photoshop has built in measuring tools that can do the same job, which is what I use.

If you're getting migraines period, see an eye doctor, that's a medical issue, not an art issue. (and all sympathies, migraines suck no matter how you get them)
>>
>>3810312

Or, you know, use the built in ruler / grid virtually every art program has.
>>
>>3810326
I bet you get a lot of quality sleep.
>>
>>3810326

You do know you can set it to switch off on certain programs, right?

Also not every part of an art process is color sensitive. If you're measuring shit you're probably doing a lay in, which is as often as not a line sketch.
>>
>>3795656
How do I get people to suck my dick over low effort doodles I made
>>
>>3810366
Create over tens of thousands of them until you create a single meme. From then on, the fame will continue. Although it’s all algorithm based so you have to be in the corporation’s favor and approval to get noticed.
>>
Want to start practicing story-writing and storyboarding for a "Manga" but don't know where to start/good Asian resources. Cheers guys
>>
>>3810391
>wants to start practice
>doesn't actually practice
Do I have to point and laugh?
>>
>>3809790
Thanks
>>
>>3810400
I am writing already, I just wondered if there are some Manga specific resources out there that are actually useful.

Do as you please, laughing is healthy after all
>>
>>3810075
hold stylus/piece of paper up to screen, measure, move to your picture

optionally make your own digital measuring sticks as a layer
>>
should I use 16 bits?
>>
>>3809877
Don't listen to that retard /ic/ shitter. It's accurate enough and it's good for studying simplified anatomy.
>>
>>3810296
anyone?
>>
>>3810427
>accurate enough
>simplified
which is it? there are enough muscles there he might as well learn the real thing with something like eaton's anatomy so he can put a name to everything
>>
Going through Teal's tutorials. The guy is just impossibly good.
>>
Any recommendations for a
youtube series I can binge that focuses on light and shadow?

Having trouble mapping them out when I finally get to the rendering stage of things.
>>
aw shit i got lazy and decided not to do my research and trusted the amazons choice for brushed for oil paint and bought that benicci set. did i done fucked up?
>>
>>3811431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLV5ezO64w
>>
Are there any hardcore nsfw artists who've /madeit/, specifically in the non-nsfw field?
>>
>>3811811
Only if they drew non-nsfw shit
Just because you can draw good lewds doesn't mean you can create concept art for the next star wars film
>>
File: 1550257340631.jpg (59 KB, 306x476)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
SAI2 user here, does anyone have any brush settings that manage to mimic/resemble the style of comic lineart like pic related? Much appreciated.
>>
When someone says "grind the fundies" what does that entail? I need structure badly.
>>
>>3795656
Does anybody know what program is used to do Yugioh card backgrounds? I really like the effects the artists use in the backgrounds but I can't figure out how to do it. Is there a technique or is a digital tool? Surely people don't paint this stuff by hand, right?
>>
File: Lochie.jpg (72 KB, 300x300)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Stupid Question:
I'm getting better at my portraits and was thinking about sitting in heavily frequented areas or at markets in my small town. What sort of things should I consider?
At the moment, I'm aware of stall fees at markets and I'm thinking I will need a gazebo or massive umbrella for UV protection (Australian summer) which I can't quite afford at the moment, which makes sitting inside pubs or sports bars more attractive but I don't want to piss off the managers or something. I'm kind of stumped about lighting because I really like to dramatically light my subjects for the best result, but I think I'd need a few props, a source of electricity and a bit of space to set a proper booth up or something. Would it boost me positively or professionally as an artist or would I be more of a nuisance?
As an opportunity to make $30 x 20min sketch I feel horribly unprepared, but I need to make some money and a broader visual library.
>>
How do I know when to use 1 point, 2 point, or 3 point perspective when using boxes for drawing the figure?
>>
File: maxresdefault1.jpg (222 KB, 1280x720)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
Is there a screentones and/or comic book effects Plugin for Photoshop? I'm looking for the same shit that Manga Studio has, but I can't use Manga studio. for some reason the copy I have sucks and uses up all of my RAM.
>>
File: loomis.png (159 KB, 785x603)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
I'm studying from Loomis's book. In this image, when Loomis says I should draw theses, does he means I should directly copy it(not tracing) or that I should draw the box, then the mannikin and finally adding bulk to the frame in those positions?
I think this is the right way, and also the best way to learn, but I don't if I'm right.
>>
>>3814688
It like doesn't even matter since you'll draw more than the four Loomis has put there anyways.
>>
>>3814693
Makes sense, I was right then. Thanks.
>>
>>3807723
you're probably used to drawing smaller
so making big strokes is something you need to get more familiar with
it'll take weeks or months
>>
>>3814924
>even when you learn to draw you'll have to relearn how to do it if the size is just a bit different
This whole drawing thing really gets you at the most unexpected of times.
>>
Im creatively bankrupt unless I have a project or a draw thread prompt. What do you guys draw normally?
>>
>>3795656
how do you get a hold of mods on here?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (347 KB, 795x583)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>get hopeful and motivated to join the csp contest
>write a script
>find out it's only open for those enrolled in classes
>feel sorry for myself all over again for being a dropout.
every time something good happens it's snatched from under my nose. I know logically I should "count my blessings" but it doesn't work. (I guess that's another example of feeling sorry for myself.) How do I stop?! What am I getting out of feeling sorry for myself?!
>>
How do you handle overly entitled patrons? Everyone so far has been super nice, but lately I have this guy that keeps wanting to tell me what to draw next and making snarky comments when I don’t do it.
>>
>>3815383
Message him that while you do love everyone that supports your ability to do this, what you draw is ultimately up to you, and that all his nagging and snarking isn't helping anyone.

If he quiets down, good, if he doesn't you probably don't need his $10/month to deal with his shit, so go ahead and boot him/block him(I have no idea if you can do that on patron, but I imagine you could)
>>
I'm an absolute cheap-ass.. I need to order a sketchbook, is there a go-to cheap one people turn to? I need to get a couple to last me a boring trip.
>>
>>3815392
Thanks, didn’t expect to get good advice. I just hate to be confrontational
>>
>>3815401
The blue Pacon or Canson ones from Walmart or your local equivalent. You can occasionally find them at dollar stores. I have a stack of those fuckers lying in wait.
>>
>>3798595
No, coding security software is
So is hacking them
>>
is a drawing glove needed for digital drawing with my tablet?
>>
How would you suggest to go through Vilppu's videos? Like 15 minute chunks or sit through the entire hour and a half?
>>
>>3816030
Drawing gloves are usually for the older Cintiqs, which can get hot, and to keep sweat off the screen. I don't use one on mine.
>>
>>3816030
needed, no(especially if you don't have a screen tablet and just a cheap pen pad)
nice, yea
you can deal without, it just makes it move across the screen a bit easier and keeps it cleaner
>>
>>3816030
i use it so my hand's oils don't fuck up the surface. if you've ever used paper you know that your hand doesn't move the smoothest on that either so you use another piece of paper of the same type to glide along. glove helps you glide along the surface easily.
>>
File: Dx7_JPdWoAE_edI.jpg (1.12 MB, 3264x3264)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
I want to learn 3d sculpting purely as a method of practicing anatomy. What's the easiest software to learn and use for this purpose?
>>
>>3816823
Sculptris
>>
>>3816825
That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.
>>
>>3795656
I have a cracked version of CSP, but I'd like to buy it for real. Will I run into any issues if I try installing it over what I already have? Do I have to worry about losing all my current settings and brushes?
>>
>>3816961
Also, it's the JP version
>>
Would it be a waste of time drawing simple shapes like boxes over an artist I like work. Then try and acturately copy the rest.

I'm trying to learn another artists style.
>>
I see a lot of old paintings have nice yellow tinted palletes going on. How much of this is actually just aging?
>>
Can someone help me out with this shading? It seems off. Maybe no highlights on the belly?
>>
>>3817406
top right light source on the head, bottom right light source on the rest of the body
Also the orange and blue color stick out like a sore thumb
>>
I have to draw a few background for a visual novel kind of project.
Is there any ressource on simple but pleasant eye-level environment?
>>
>>3813212
ATTN
>>
>>3817406
Highlights are too dark
try using a layer mode or a brighter color
>>
File: 4545452.jpg (278 KB, 675x1200)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
Anyone know what the piece is called and/or who the original artist is called?
Can't find anything online.
>>
>>3796169
I notice I get this way if I'm not well rested.
If I'm on the first half of my day everything flows nicely and looks at minimum agreeable. If I'm on the second half of my day everything I do is shit or uninspired (especially if it's getting close to when I sleep).
>>
Whats the name of that torrent website specifically for art related stuff? The one you have to make an account for on specific days? I forgot the name of it.
>>
File: 1514660645949.png (3 KB, 147x130)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>3795656
>tfw you find a manga that has the EXACT same concept that you had for yours
>>
>>3818938
Does the manga take the story in the exact same direction as you planned to? When no don't feel down anon many stories have the same concept, but how the author takes the concept is the most important thing. And never forget that Johann Wolfgang von Goethe most famous work is basically a fanfiction.
>>
>>3795689

late reply but

https:// mega .nz/#F!sSYAxKqb!f2gWy-eQZJNvRfiUTu1ASA
>>
>>3796241
>>3805584
Thanks for the kind thoughts anons. Both of you are right. It's just so hard to change, and it makes me extremely uncomfortable getting used to things sometimes.
Cheers.
>>
At what point is my pencil too short and I should start a new one? half the original size? as short as possible?

I feel like drawing with a tiny pencil would be bad
>>
>>3819221
until it becomes hard to hold and impacts your ability to draw.
what a dumb question.
>>
>>3814672
>I'm looking for the same shit that Manga Studio has, but I can't use Manga studio. for some reason the copy I have sucks and uses up all of my RAM.
buy it for $25 next time it's on sale.
>>
File: MC5.jpg (21 KB, 600x600)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>3819221
I use a "traditional" grip, so when the pencil can't rest against my hand at the other end from the drawing end, it goes into the pencil box. So, like 3, 4"?
I mostly use lead holders these days, for this exact issue. You get more use out of lead sticks, and don't end up with a box of pencil stubs.
>>
>>3818885
Sleep is important. If you want to have/boost stamina, regular sleep periods are needed, and 6-8 hours for decent REM sleep.

And, everyone is different. I'm more productive in the afternoon/evening, mornings are the time for me to organize, get shit non-creative done, etc. I can't focus if I have other shit to do. Working professionally, I learned a long time ago to schedule meetings, do email/phone calls, research, organizing, shit like that is best in the morning, and then I focus on work for the rest of the day. If I don't get some decent sleep, it kind of sucks hard - melatonin is my friend sometimes.
>>
Trying to learn to paint using Sai but all the brushes I try have a banding effect. How do I fix this?
>>
Which way do you guys write your notes?
>>
>>3819227
dont be rude on this website ever again

>>3819290
Can you shade and stuff with these?
>>
>>3819339
work in 16bits
>>
File: 1438545558785.jpg (7 KB, 200x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
How do you paint with a hard brush without tearing your hair out?
I started as a beginner and got on the blending meme too early, I want to rectify that by building experience with a hard brush as it's recommended, but holy shit, how do you handle soft edges with a hard brush?
Like what is the actual process? Do you color pick every other second and go over it again and again? It seems like a massive time waste and incredibly boring
>>
>>3819887
Well if there actually is a soft edge, such as on a sphere's shading, then you can use a smudge tool on hard lines. However, nearly all the planes of the face in a portrait can be done with a hard brush, and any soft edges needed should be made with a smudge tool and not an airbrush because smudging preserves the thickness of the main color. However, you should practice shading a sphere with only a hard brush, and not even too much blending. It can look quite nice.
>>
File: 1550428056273.jpg (31 KB, 435x334)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I feel like my art is good enough to start making things like comics and sorry based artwork, but I have this problem where I don't know what or how to do it. I want to start a comic but im not sure whats the best way to go about it. I'm not sure how to put my work into something? Like how to make a project and do stuff that actually means something apposed to random drawings.
>>
>>3819890
That's what I started doing, I would use a somewhat hard brush but also use the blur tool (i have csp so no smudge brush but blur does basically the same) to give colors softer edges.
But when I look at the artists I like that work with hard brushes they don't really blur to blend for the vast majority of their work. Besides, isn't the whole point of telling begs to use a hard brush to teach them to not rely on blending?
I just have no idea how it works though. It feels like using a hard brush for everything works only for people that already have the manual skill and knowledge of colors to pull it off.
>>
>>3818885
Same. What helps me a little bit is to slow down when I'm drawing. Drawing when tired takes more effort, and I need to adjust my speed to compensate for that. Trying to draw at the same pace means that I skip noticing important things and mess things up. Just taking a little bit more time helps.
>>
>>3815417
>So is hacking them
Hacking is not always that hard, all you need to do is find one vulnerability, and it's enough to bring the whole thing crashing down. You don't need to know all of Computer Science to hack, just enough to exploit whatever it is you're looking at.

Drawing like a pro actually requires you to get the whole thing right. You have to actually need all of your fundamentals down across the board, instead of relying on some specialized trick, otherwise part of your drawing will be wrong.
>>
File: HendrixWHT-large.jpg (31 KB, 453x750)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>3795656
>Sqt
Chances are I came to the right thread..
Wanting to renew my guitar(pic almost related) but I don't really have a clue what to do with it.
Does anyone have ideas? It could be sprayed in any color but I assume white would be best to draw on..
I'm open to any suggestion other than anime stuff..(no offense)..
On a even wider shot I'd probably be looking to hire someone for that
>>
I cant draw hair well, especially female. Can i get some recommended books for that?
Also what is a good way to learn new hairstyles?
One last thing: between ZIG KureColor and BeCreative markers, which one is better?
>>
>>3819901
Good luck anon
>>
>>3820276
Any advice?
>>
>>3820300
Write a story script, make it half decent, then draw accordingly to the needs of the story. Are you drawing traditional or digitial? If you are doing the latter, it’a much easier and you could even get a webcomic started.

Example: Protagonist A has to go to the market to obtain bread. (Decide the time period/setting) what kind of things would it be around them? Are the other characters relatively Norma or grotesque? Do they sell normalish items? Are the shops modern with nice windows? Is it a small town with stalls? Get to your baker: is she a nice old lady? A bulky, hairy, short but boisterous man? Does he only make bread? How is the bread arranged around him?

Hope this helps anon, cheers.
>>
>>3795656
/vent/
I'm practicing painting with temperas. (I'm and) it's awfully bad, but I completed my first painting (on a small format, but I did).

And I'm horribly proud.

Even if I didn't make any progress in terms of reading any fundamentals book and memorizing perspective or loomis, yet, I feel I made huge progress in art, today.
>>
>>3819905
Hard Edge = Large value change
Soft Edge = Small value change
Lost Edge = No value change

Just use a hard brush to paint a black and white sphere. Keep adding transitional values until it looks like nice lit sphere. Try zooming out as well to see the effect more easily. When you don't blend it can be hard to see the effect with your nose in the canvas (or screen).

Look to traditional tiling as a method.
muddycolors.com/2016/10/tiling-as-a-technique/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4wkJjMon4o
>>
I really like how color dodge highlights look, is there a way to emulate this in SAI?
>>
>>3820447
up saturation to 110% and brightness by 25%.
>>
Do I really have to learn how to draw the skull in various positions when I want to learn how to draw the head?
>>
File: 43f8c-tiles2b12bmall.jpg (500 KB, 648x864)
500 KB
500 KB JPG
>>3819887
paint in tiles. edges exist because of contrast which can be hue, value, and/or chroma. with a hard brush you can still get soft edges based on the color. experiment with an opaque brush (this is hard but trains you well), then eventually move on to opacity/flow jitter and the color picker. Then open it up after mixing methods once you have practiced. Blending is like the final 10% of a piece, you don't have to go to it so early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_h6B1-hpM&t=51s
http://www.muddycolors.com/2016/10/tiling-as-a-technique/
http://www.muddycolors.com/2018/09/direct-painting-an-illustration-with-a-sequence-by-the-famous-cyrus-cuneo/
>>
>>3820528
Some people have the right combination of talent and skill to skip that part. Some don't. It can't hurt, in any case. A portrait artist has a person sitting in front of them, or photos, so it's not needed. Drawing something from imagination, it's helpful.

The more confident you get, the more you'll be able to skip the foundational stuff. You don't have to become an expert at drawing skulls, but a basic grasp is always useful.
>>
>>3820587
how many times a day should you study the head to get a better understanding of it?Should i draw a certain amount a day?
>>
>>3820898
If you wanna draw heads, draw skulls and heads and individual facial features. Just draw
>>
>>3819901
Listen to me millenial. I have a secret for you to make it.
Ready?
Draw. Draw. Draw. Draw more.
"B-but I don't know how to"
Yes ! Exactly, you don't.
Now say you want to learn boxing.
Figure you can do it by asking questions? Fuck no. You have have to get punched and fail a lot to get the feel of how fighting actually works and start forming habits and make theory click.

So make a comic. If it sucks, nobody has to see it, but it will be very valuable experience, more than looking for answers.
>>
>>3820244
>One last thing: between ZIG KureColor and BeCreative markers, which one is better?
copic ciaos
>>
>>3820898
There's no automatic moment you'll magically reach. You study something until you feel confident you have a solid grasp on the topic. Some might do it fast, others with struggle.

I look at it this way - when I feel like I can teach someone else how to do it, I'm good to move on. (And not at an "expert" level, either)
>>
>>3820429
>>3820570
Thanks, this helps a lot!
>>
File: krita_BA9oNetn8o.png (23 KB, 334x495)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
How do i get rid of this stupid overlapping piece of shit. Ive tried most of the options. Unable to find a blending option thqts qny use. This is krita. Thanks.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.