[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: woop ditty poop scoop.png (1.39 MB, 805x1080)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>CONTEXT
My sister was recently diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder, she picked up painting to help express herself. It's a great way to cope and I find that she's getting much better with every art piece. The thing is, she has massive anxiety about being criticized, but wants to understand her weak points and get better. So she asked me to post this here in hopes to get any criticism to relay to her. I think it's pretty rad.
>>
>>3804429
She’s come to the right place
>>
Very solid explanation, OP. I just hope her other half isn't "her brother".

Also, why does a stupid, mentally ill teenager know about /ic/? Did you tell her? Why would you do that? Don't you care about our already very fragile biome?
>>
>>3804445
>implying everyone on this site and especially this board isn't a mentally ill teenager
>>
>>3804445
This guy >>3804517 is right, you probably described like half this site
>>
>>3804519
The rest being mentally ills "adults"
>>
>>3804526
Can confirm. 32 years here, still going strong.
>>
I like the picture
>>
>>3804429
i like it. my shitty little still lifes cant compare.
i wonder what a psychologist would say about this painting...
>>
>>3806562
this. it's got some emotion attached to it
for a beginner i actually think it's pretty good though simple
>>
>>3804526
All Loomis and no anime has makes anon a dull boy
>>
>>3804429
I really liked the concept, it looks like the person is fading into a loop, its kind of dark and makes me think. I hope your sister gets better.
>>
>>3804429
I like it.

Honestly, this type of art is very hard to critique, and most people here have no sense of taste, so I doubt you'd get much from anyone here.
If your sister wants to improve, I recommend she look toward artists like Francis Bacon, and some impressionists for inspiration. See what she could do. Maybe read up on color theory.

Art as a professional journey... I'm not so sure I'd recommend purely on the basis that it's a path full of self-criticism and self-hatred. I think she certainly has the potential to create interesting personal works and so forth, I know bipolars are very creative.

My ex was bipolar, so I understand what it's like, and how difficult it can be. I wish your sister the best, and hope she can find solace and happiness despite all her troubles. Art is certainly a great tool to vent all her troubles through. Similarly, your sister was wise in not wanting to come here. This place is a cesspool of negativity, filled with assholes just trying to tear other people purely out of spite. There's no doubt she'd take a lot of that way too personally. So yes, she shluld certainly stay away.

Again, my advice: keep experimenting, keep looking for inspiration, read up on color theory, but above all else, use art as a personal tool for self expression. The best way to improve at art is through practice, and her observational eye will develop naturally as she practices.

All the best to you and your sister anon.
>>
>>3807120
Oh yeah, one final thing. Make sure she stays away from drugs. I know this seems kind of obvious, but I hope you don't ever have to fully understand why I'm saying this. Drugs are twice as tempting to, and twice as destructive for people with mental illness. What your sister will need more than anything will be the kind and loving, and UBDERSTANDING support from the people around her.

>>3807020
Bipolar is permanent. There's not much in terms of 'getting better' there's just coping with it, and learning to control it as best as you can for the rest of your life. That's why it sucks so much.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.