[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: eca.jpg (87 KB, 800x450)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>Receive my 30€ brush order consisting of two synthetic Kolinsky Escoda travel brushes
>They are covered in adhesives which I remove, leaving a sticky residue on the brush handle and this is very annoying but I'll rub it off with oil.
>Japanese stationery comes in adhesives that don't leave a residue, why does non-Japanese shit always have sticky residues you have to spend 5 minutes rubbing off with oil.
>Whatever, I take the brushes to the bathroom and carefully wash them with mildly warm water and soap to remove the glue
>Flick the wet brushes and check the sharpness
>They are completely frayed and misaligned and have no shape or point at all
>Swear under my breath for the next 10 minutes while rubbing off the adhesive
Never buy Escoda. Fucking shit company making shit brushes. Brushes these expensive shouldn't be made like this. And fuck reviewers, I swear these people don't fucking paint, they just get a brush in the mail and look at it while it's still glued and imagine it's pretty or they stick it in their ass and decide it deserves 5 stars. What's the fucking criteria for giving 5 stars to a brush that doesn't have anything resembling a point? That it looks somewhat like a brush? That if you dip it into paint the paint doesn't fall off? These brushes have excellent reviews and I thought the price was indicative of quality, the fibers are nice I guess but the workmanship is garbage. It's fucking 1$ chink brush tier garbage. I have another order with a bunch of #2s for inking and I bet that one's gonna be a fucking waste of money too.
The cheap Winsor & Newton cotman brushes are better than this.
>>
File: three times.jpg (70 KB, 362x408)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>3879382
Washing your brushes with warm water dissolves the glue INSIDE the brush handle that keeps the bristles ordered and attached. Might fuck up the bristles themselves too depending on material. That's why you never ever wash a brush with warm water, or else first the bristles get all fucked up and then they actually start coming off. For the same reason you never leave them in water and wash and dry immediately after you are done painting.

Me, I just ordered four of the same size faber castell fineliner from an art store. I was excited about not running out of a particular size pen for a long time, but then I retardedly placed the wrong order twice in a row and got four blue pens and four super ultra great delicious wonderful tiny pens until finally a week later I got the normal ones
>>
>>3879650
>warm water
Nah by mildly warm I meant barely lukewarm, nothing that could damage the brush I assure you. I take a lot of care.
>>
>>3879382
Princeton's don't seem to have the sticky labels. Peels off nicely and only has a little gunk that rubs off with your finger.

Travel brushes are pretty universally shit, I just carry nice synthetics in a toothbrush holder. If they don't fit, I break off the end.
>>
>>3879650
Just as a comparison, I have a several years old series 7 #4 that still points when you flick it, and it's a retired brush. There is no excuse for a brush that doesn't take on anything resembling a point when it's brand new.
I think I'll get Princeton brushes from now on, they make the best synthetics.
>>
>>3879658
>Travel brushes are pretty universally shit, I just carry nice synthetics in a toothbrush holder.
Ah fuck, maybe I should have just done that. I have sawed off brushes in my bigger bag, bought these travels for my small everyday bag. I thought travels were made the same.
>>
File: 1549611435133.jpg (119 KB, 638x963)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
I don't know why, but somehow I'm convinced this is your fault.
>>
>>3879667
Assuming it's my fault and carefully washing a brush with water of the temperature I used ONE time irremediably destroys the brush, the brush is still shit. A brush made with glue this shitty would fall apart in the summer.
>>
>>3879665
They should be the same but the kind of person who only uses a size 4 round probably couldn't tell the difference. I need at least a 6 quill for 4x5.
>>
>>3879675
These were #12 and #6 and I mostly use the second brush for edges in watercolor.
Thankfully I'm not super concerned about it because it's just for sketching, but I still spent a lot of money on garbage brushes.
>>
>>3879679
I've done it, it sucks. Now I just use nice synthetics that cost very little in comparison. If you don't need the stiffness, the Silver Black Velvet is nice. Real squirrel and some acrylic to keep it in shape. Thirsty fuckers and point like crazy. They're on the high end of what I get.
>>
>>3879681
I don't use natural anymore for ethical reasons and it's an ordeal to find good synthetics that have a point. The only case that was 100% satisfying are Princeton Neptune brushes, those are better than real squirrel. But kolinsky alternatives I've tried all suck.
>>
>watercolourfags getting cucked by brushmakers
Lel, you can’t say you don’t deserve it
>>
It's probably just you, but i ordered my escoda brushes off of art nebula website and have none of this sticker adhesive problem because the online store i got it from just wrote the total prize on a paper.
>>
>>3879650
I;ve been buying and using paint brushes for more years than you've probably been alive, and I have never heard this before. Modern brushes use epoxy in the ferrule to glue the filaments (hair or nylon) in, warm water should have NO effect on it in any way - it's water and heat proof when it's cured. What brushes are you buying and using that can't be washed in warm water, and what are you basing this on? I'm really curious where you came up with this.

Most if not all brush filaments will have no ill effect from water. Almost every instruction set I've seen from brush manufacturer says to clean with solvents for oil, and soap and water after for all paint types. The key is to not let them sit in water on the brush end, or letting them dry laying on their side.

The only time I've had filaments fall out is with extremely cheap hobby-type brushes.

Seriously, where did you get this from?
>>
>>3879949
OP here, it's probably yet another dumb meme that originated from wetcanvas, but I heard it a lot everywhere.
>>
>>3879829
How am I supposed to paint in watercolor, with a spoon?
>>
File: turneracrylgouache.jpg (45 KB, 350x500)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Has anyone tried Holbein acryla gouache? I bought a set but the delivery from japan is taking so long I just amazon prime'd pic related instead. I love them but is Holbein even better?
>>
File: 21116-2003-2-3ww-l.jpg (25 KB, 223x600)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I bought a Pentel fude brush pen, which I'm loving. So fun to use. Bought some Ultradraw ink for it and my nibs.

I also got a set of those watercolor brush pens and a fountain brush pen from aliexpress for like $1.77. Not sure about the quality but it was less than 2 bucks so who cares. Should at least be worth messing around with.
>>
>>3880452
I've heard good things about it. I think it's the closest reasonable modern thing to poster paints like those used for animation backgrounds and sometimes cels.

>>3880476
I think those cheap alibaba shits are going to teach you to appreciate spending money on some supplies. Cheap, bad art supplies are sometimes worse than having any supplies at all.
>>
>>3880476
Brush pens don't take India ink. That shit is pure shellac and clogs them permanently in a second. It's why you use a dip pen.
>>
>>3880957
not that anon but I regularly used india ink in sakura koi brushes
>>
>>3879992
I've never heard that, and I browse a lot of art forums. It doesn't even make sense, as you're using water as part of the painting process, if washing brushes in warm water ruins them...then we'd be painting with ice water?

I could see making the case not to use really hot water, because that could soften the epoxy/glue, but warm?
>>
>>3879382
>I thought the price was indicative of quality
Easy mistake to make but it's usually not true. I find a lot of great art supplies tend to be cheap. I think youtube reviews are overall more useful because you can actually see people use the supplies
>>
>>3879382
I'll NEVER buy cheap markers again.
From this time I'll only buy Copics, even if they cost a fortune.
FUCK cheap markers.
>>
>>3879382
Any tip for how to keep the molotow 1mm plasticity nibs unclogged? Or any easy ways to clean them?
>>
>>3879382
There's companies like winsor and newton that give brushes in packs without adesives and such. I have tiny delicate hands and their watercolor brushes are light and handy
>>
>>3884714
Their travel brushes are cute. I'm not sure if they sell them separately from their watercolor kits.
>>
File: sweat1.jpg (60 KB, 343x317)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>3884714
>I have tiny delicate hands and their watercolor brushes are light and handy
post hands
>>
>>3879672

Currently painting with an Escoda right now. Seems quite nice to me. Not sure what the issue you're having is.
>>
>>3883539
You can buy new ones very cheap on eBay.
>>
>>3879382
Bad image, OP.
>>
>>3885860
I know. I bought some. The thing is, I'm tired ot getting the plastic nibs clogged the next day I use them (the felt ones are ok).
>>
Has anyone else set up a G nib to a fountain pen? I really want to give it a try but it seems they're a few options available. Dose anyone know the best one? Also, could you set up a school nib to one of these things?
>>
>>3888556
I believe jinhao is the brand that works with the mod.

Isn't the school nib just a harder G nib? If so then you're good.
>>
>>3888562
>Isn't the school nib just a harder G nib? If so then you're good.
It's a tad smaller.
>>
drawing crossboarder here, going to japan and is there anything really prized by /ic/ that is hard to get in the west?
>>
Got a really watery Grumbacher Academy yellow ochre. Seems totally fucked, tried to use it. Can I thicken it up with some kind of medium or oil?

Also why is W&N cad red so fucking expensive
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 154x300)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>3889862
Forgot pic
>>
>>3889763
I don't know if it's "prized" but most old-school anime backgrounds were painted with nicker poster colors, and those are hard to get in the west. They're not really fancy though, more, convenient and cheap, which is why they used them when they needed to produce hundreds of backgrounds.
>>
>>3889763
cheap copics/microns/any other jap brand of supply, nibs, japanese brushes for inking/ink painting, japanese inks/manga supplies, japanese stationery that has to be bought through jetpens or imported, art/reference books. not really, you can get any of that in the west but you have to pay a little more for it usually.
>>
>>3890122
oh actually i did think of one thing but i'm not an expert (the antique tools would be better anyway), but anything to do with wood carving for block printing. so i imagine there's other hardware/arts and craft supply stuff you won't know about until you get there. as the nicker paint one said, some of the hard to get things like poster paints are used because they're cheap. they're harder to get here but that's because hardly anyone has a need for them. i think acryllic gouache is similar enough for most people looking at that.
>>
>>3885456
Wait, I reread your post. I'm using Prado Escoda brushes from Spain. Different brand. Well, these are nice, if you're looking for a better brand.
>>
>>3890185
kolinsky isn't a brand, not sure if you're confused. it's possible they got a lemon or maybe even a counterfeit but it seems really extraordinary as i've had only good experiences as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolinsky_sable-hair_brush
>>
File: 05702-1001-1-2ww-m.jpg (62 KB, 400x400)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>3879382
Try to find this shit. This is amazing for brushes.
>>
File: 20190413_034548.jpg (1.3 MB, 3264x1836)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>3890445

Ugh. I don't know. These are what I have. They're nice. Don't know what OP got.
>>
>>3889862
Grumbacher is shit.
>>
KJG uses a felt tip pen that can deal with vertical surfaces? If so please tell me what kind is it. I want to transition to a vertical drawing space, sort of bored with pencil, but charcoal's still bit too wasteful and messy for me so I guess I'd like to try some kind of ink-based tool?
>>
>>3893343
Try the pentel brush pens.
>>
File: IMG_20190415_152510_439.jpg (101 KB, 720x1280)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>3893440
Wow I was just guessing but it seems I was right.
>>
>>3893343
Yeah it's the pentel pocket
Be wary their quality varies when you get them. Some are broke. Some are perfect.
>>
Uni Mitsubishi Hi-Uni Pencil - 10H - Box of 12
Deleter Comic Paper - B4 - Plain - 135 kg - 40 Sheets
Winsor & Newton Kolinsky Watercolor Brush - Series 7 - Round 2
Palomino KUM Blackwing Automatic Brake Long Point 2 Step Pencil Sharpener - Black
$70 did I suck fuck? I got the pencils for light sketching D&D maps before inking with a tachikawa dip pen with g-nib, spoon nib, and Maru nib and Sumi ink. I have prismacolor ebony graphite pencils for darker pencil stuff. I got the brush for watercolor painting and inking with my fountain pen ink.
>>
>>3894140
Do you have brush cleaner or baby shampoo to clean the brush with?
>>
>>3889862

Cadmiums are expensive pigments, that's why. There are no substitutes for them if you ask me, great colours to work with.
>>
>>3894161
I read that your supposed to just wash it gently by using clean water and just dragging the brush on a paper towel pulling it towards you and repeating those steps until it's clean.
>>
so ive been doing a page of drawing exercises everyday. with a staedlter pigment liner.
and just for reference because people often say these don't last very long,

ive got 32 pages out of one, now its a bit too uneven and scratchy to continue using. I recon you could get about 5 more pages out of it if you could deal with scratchy lines.
>>
File: IMG_1484.jpg (12 KB, 425x425)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
I want to get into watercoloring, and this brush pen thingies (pic related) really have piqued my interest. Is it any good?
>>
>>3896281
I have them theyre awesome.
>>
File: 20190417_150936-1.jpg (343 KB, 1959x2552)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
I have a problem
>pic related
I also collect some fountain pens as well but when it comes to my consistent black ink I'd use Noodler's Bullet Proof
>>
>>3881481
Why? What happened?
>>
>>3896272
no real reason to use the good stuff for doing basic exercises. Just use something cheap like a ballpoint or an ultra fine sharpie.
>>
>>3896296
Oh shit nigga what are you doing
Please tell me you bought these for cheap instead of full price at least.
>>
>>3896272
That's what $1 or cheaper Bic/Biro/Sharpies are for. Don't waste fineliners doing exercises. I use my microns for inking things and rare sketching but everyday drawing is cheap pens, refillable brush pen, or pencil.

>>3896281
Not really. They definitely have uses but you'll be very frustrated. Get a real brush, some kind of 8-12 round or flat along with that pack. You CANNOT control the water flow effectively with a waterbrush. Tons of watercolor requires taking water off the page with your brush from capillary action. You're going to have a lot of shitty paintings with backruns using just waterbrushes. Watercolor is a difficult medium at first, please try learning with regular brushes before going straight to a water brush.

From Amazon, I'm not sure if it still is, but it was cheaper for me to buy two mediums from the pentel store than from any of the packs in English. They came in JP packaging but who cares.
>>
Want to learn how to draw but dont have paper or pencil
>>
>>3896430
just making excuses anon. you've got poop and fingers
>>
This is only tangentially related but I use pilot pen for daily writing with usually waterman insert in it. Don't know if you guys like to match comfy pens with alternate inserts but I'd be curious which ones you use. I heard mont blanc are pretty decent but I don't see them sold often in stationery stores near me.
>>
>>3896354
bout 20 bucks or less for each set. I mainly buy them for their 000 size nib they have cos if i were to buy one separately it would cost round 35-40 dollars. I need to get extras in the case i fuck up while cleaning them
>>
File: Gascoigne_Snarl_A.jpg (137 KB, 1920x1080)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>3896445
Blood is more lightfast desu
>>
>>3888556
I did this with a jinhao, but the feed cant keep up with the nib. It railroads constantly and is unreliable.
>>
>>3879949
It's okay for a brush to dry on its side as long as the brush head isn't actually touching a surface right? Like the head is hanging over the edge of a raised box.

Or am I supposed to hang them upside down from something.
>>
>>3898711
i dry my boxes like that because i don't have a place to hang them. it's fine as long as the hanging is slanted downward instead of pooling up water into the ferrule where the glue that holds the hair to the brush is.
>>
>>3898746
fucked this up thinking of something else, dry my brushes like that. you can use a tissue box and cut out little holes with a knife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG8oV3h3drI&t=1m19s
>>
>>3898748
Cool thanks
>>
Any fineliners you guys recommend? I would prefer something rather permanent, but if its not, thats okay.
>>
>>3898989
anything from reputable companies is fine. microns, staedtler, faber castell, copic. whatever you can get cheapest and doesn't smudge if you do watercolor or washes over it.
>>
>>3898989
Just buy some rotring rapidographs
>>
>>3898989
>>3899033 and >>3899308 are viable, but why not a fountain pen too? Are you just trying to see how it feels like? Is that why you want to try something cheap to see if you like it?
>>
>>3896272

Who says they don't last long? They're the best pigment liners I've ever used. Never get clogged, as much abuse as I put them through, and even when the ink is running low, they'll still draw for a long time, just the quality of the line changes.

After using them Microns were ruined for me.
>>
>>3899366
I have both and use both but fps and fineliners serve very different purposes for me.
>>
>>3899366
I am just starting out with ink, and I heard that fineliners are easier to control. But do you have any fountain pens you recommend?
>>
>>3883539
Replying to my own post. I just added alcohol.
>>
>>3899466
Lamy is good in general and arguably you can use any pen as long as it suits your autism, all you need is ink. Personally I have a love for the Rotring Art Pens, the Lamy Joy and the Lamy Safari/Vista (the difference is that the Vista has see through plastic).

Your ink would change depending on what you want. Waterproof? Lightfast? Archival? etc.
>>3899436
Fair enough.
>>
What should I use for thick ink lines? The widest things I have are a zebra G-Nib and size 2 brushes. I'd like to have something that consistently lays down ink. It would be cool of there was a wide nib or something but the only things I can find are actual markers and I'd hate to get off-black ink for the thick lines and then have every other lines have darker or lighter ink.
>>
>>3899476
size 2s are tiny. try some 6 or 8s
>>
>>3899510
Are royal and langnickle brushes shit?
>>
File: 1550500196123.png (94 KB, 500x356)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
What are some good copic proof fineliner? Fuck. I can't even use copic over graphite ffs.
>>
>>3899549
look up smudge tests on youtube or at jetpens. practically everything smudges graphite so you should try erasing most of it before doing anything "wet"
>>
File: dumb_autistict_retard.png (27 KB, 615x506)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
Is this dumb autistic retard tier?
>>
>>3899559
no uni is fucking godly.

>>3899421
there was talk here a while back. peter han who does dynamic sketching recommended them.

I like them, I have 10 so ill be using them for quite a while.

I heard theres a metal nib fineliner, rotring possible. curious to try that.
>>
>>3896272
That's weird. I draw with those all the time and letter with them, they last me months.
>>
File: warm up excersise.jpg (324 KB, 1632x1224)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>3899796
if youre just doing that then sure, but this was a whole page multiple times.
I cant be arsed posting mine but something like this.
it does end up using a lot of ink
>>
>>3879650
based thicc methonium meme. The creator of this manga is THICC irl too

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.