[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 1532735972068.jpg (70 KB, 225x350)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
How would one prevent a piece from looking "too western" as in it's obvious you are foreign to a style adopted by the orientals? Does the discrepancy lie in the lineart?

There was a theory a while back that suggested it's the writing system that demands attention to detail and fluid curves that somehow influences a Nip's lineart to produce a signature stroke that only a Nip possesses. Could it be true?
>>
Most Westerners use horse face and big pig nose, just don't do that
>>
I'm not sure if it's much help but I do notice that western art, especially cartoon or even anime-lite tend to have big, bold lines that clearly separate the different elements of a picture, whereas the japanese art community has less defined outlines and colors sometimes bleed into each other.

I've actually been trying to get away from bold outlines because I find thin/faded outlines to be more aesthetically pleasing, but I'm still not exactly sure how best to do it. An upbringing of color-within-the-lines is hard to shake off.
>>
You get better at what you practice. No need to learn how to write out 2,000 Kanji characters when you're trying to draw a person.
>>
File: _.jpg (195 KB, 1200x855)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>3935698
Japan likes to draw characters as though they are 14. Western artists prefer to draw as though they are 20.
>>
File: Illustration3.jpg (219 KB, 697x628)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>3935726
>>3935706
>>3935705
>>3935702
As soon as the line art layer was removed the figure was improved ten fold but when you want to show the line art it's hideously westernized.
>>
File: OkayIBelieveYou.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>3935726
>That pic.
>>
>>3935739
Maybe try making your lineart as thin as possible?
>>
>>3935698
pyw
>>
>>3935821
See>>3935739

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.