[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: watercolor easel.jpg (174 KB, 599x700)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
ITT: Art supply thread
What do you guys recommend for art supplies? Pens, pencils, watercolors, oils, sketchbooks, anything goes.
>>
>>3944498

Col-erase colored pencils. Pentel brush-pens. Hybrid Technica rollerball pens. Staedtler pigment liners. Those are my personal favorites.
>>
Good watercolor paper will smell absolutely awful when wet
>>
Anyone know of any good fountain pens for sketching?
>>
>>3944510

uniball fineliners > staedtler fineliners

I got angry once and being autistic threw the staedtler on the table, it broke.

Also the tips are kinda scratchy from my experience, unless you use the bigger ones.

I'm kinda exaggerating but then again, it did break and it does flow badly.

I'd buy microns desu, it's just they don't have them where I live.
>>
>>3944662

Haven't tried uniballs. I have abused the crap out of Staedtlers and had them endure quite well.

I tried microns after using Staetdlers. They seemed cheap and flimsy by comparison, and they didn't last as long.
>>
>>3944597
What's your budget and how thick you want your lines?
Pilot Kakuno is the best bang for your buck. If Japanese M is too thin for you, then Lamy Safari is one of the most popular starter choices in general, but it has a triangular grip section that you may dislike.
If you want a flex nib, then Noodler's Ahab and cheap Chinese pens with installed G nib are your options under $30.
>>
>>3944687
Frankly, I have never used a fountain pen before, but i would like to try something other than fineliners and brushes. Budget is not too important, but under 50, preferably with a converter included.
>>
>>3944662
I think less autistic people who don't have violent tendencies don't usually have to worry about their stuff breaking in such a way.
>>
>>3944498
Princeton Neptune brushes for watercolor are so great and I have to shill them. They're expensive but they're just as well made as high end natural hair brushes (sloppy craftsmanship is the #1 reason why synthetics suck) and the fibers are better than real squirrel. Even the largest mop points perfectly.
I still have to find a Kolinsky substitute for inking, so I just use Pentel brush pens. I can't believe they can mass produce Pentel brush pens with a great point but they can't make a normal Kolinsky synthetic brush. They all suck so bad. I would try Rosemary's golden synthetics but I would have to place a huge order of #2 or #4 brushes to offset the shipping and I'm not gonna risk that, and the fact that they don't stock their brushes anywhere but on their site is fishy, sure all your brushes have enthusiastic 5 star reviews only.
Also never buy Escoda Versatil. All the 7 Escoda Versatil brushes I bought over the years sucked to the point of being unusable and I paid a lot for them.
Never buy standard fold-out, no-name aluminum watercolor palettes, like Meeden. Especially Meeden is shilled super hard by paid YouTube reviewers. They are likely all produced by the same factory and the enamel has a shitty pink/grey tint to it. I sent back a Meeden palette because of this and I ordered one from Jackson's and it had the same grey/pink tint.

>>3944597
Platinum Carbon desk pen is like 10$ and it makes very nice thin lines. It's the best FP I have tried but I only bought a few low priced ones which I ended up gifting away.

>>3944688
>i would like to try something other than fineliners and brushes.
If this isn't for sketching outside get a bottle of india ink and a starter set dip pen, lots of Japanese sellers sell a bundle of Tachikawa T-40 holder and a bunch of Zebra G-nibs on eBay for something like 9$. Even for sketching outside I just have a capped dip pen and a 1oz Nalgene bottle (eBay) half filled with ink.
>>
Anyone know of any good reusable fineliners? I have previously been using the Faber Castell PITT pen for reference.
>>
I ordered Ohuhu markers on a whim. Are they any good ? Used to have copics but there too expensive for me right now.
>>
>>3944498
leda art supply has really nice sketch books
>>
>>3948015
Copic Multiliner SP, but 1 refill costs as much as 1 good disposable fineliner, and nibs also need to be replaced after some time. Just get an inexpensive fountain pen or rapidograph, or buy the cheapest decent fineliners you can find.
>>
Any general guidelines for making color schemes with copic sketch markers? The only marker I have is a 110 black which I really like and I definitely think in terms of quality they absolutely seem worth it. I want to be able to color my drawings with some basic colors. I own some actual watercolors and brushes and stuff but those are limited to mega expensive cotton paper and don't work so well on the bristol paper that I can use for inking normal drawings.

I also have been looking for a lightbox that people would recommend. All the ones on Amazon are very hard to trust in terms of reviews.
>>
My favorite art supplies
>Mitsubishi Uni pencils
>Mitsubishi Uni lead/lead holder
>Copic Sketch markers
>Zebra G-nib and nib holders
>M. Graham Artists Watercolors
>Arches Watercolor Paper Blocks
I'm still looking for more A+ tier art supplies.
>>
Anyone have experience with Hero brand technical pens? They're a cheap alternative to rotring and staedtler tech pens. You can get a set of 3 for like $16.

>>3948041
I'm curious about those and the other copic copies. Are Ohuhu refillable?
>>
What exactly is the difference between the isograph and rapidograph and could someone tell me which they recommend?
>>
1 x Kokuyo Campus Student Eraser - For 2B Lead $1.75
1 x Uni Arterase Color Pencil - Aqua $2.65
1 x Pilot Color Eno Neox Erasable Lead - 0.7 mm - Soft Blue $3.30
1 x Pilot Color Eno Erasable Mechanical Pencil - 0.7 mm - Soft Blue Body - Soft Blue Lead $2.75
1 x Zebra Disposable Brush Pen - Fine $2.50
1 x Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen - Soft - Black $2.75
1 x Copic Sketch Marker - T3 Toner Gray No. 3 $6.50
1 x Copic Sketch Marker - T5 Toner Gray No. 5 $6.50
1 x Copic Sketch Marker - T7 Toner Gray No. 7 $6.50
1 x Copic Sketch Marker - T9 Toner Gray No. 9 $6.50
1 x Copic Sketch Marker - T1 Toner Gray No. 1 $6.50
1 x Copic Sketch Marker - 0 Colorless Blender $6.50
1 x Pilot Precise V5 Rollerball Pen - Extra Fine - Green $1.90
1 x Deleter Comic Book Paper - A6 Postcard - Plain - 135 kg - 40 Sheets $5.75
1 x Kuretake No. 6 Double-Sided Brush Pen - Soft - Gray & Black Ink $5.75
1 x Uni Mitsubishi Double-Sided Brush Pen - Fine/Broad $4.95
1 x Pilot Pocket Brush Pen - Soft $5.00

I keep buying art supplies to fill the void in my heart.
>>
>>3950126
Rapidograph has cartridges, isograph has a tank. Iso is better for art inks. The nibs are the same, so it's all about what kind of ink you want to use, and what you can afford. Rapidograph carts are about $3 each, whereas a bottle of ink for an isograph is about $5, and will last way longer.

Both are a pain in the ass to keep clean, which is why I use super fine markers or dip pens these days.
>>
File: 638681_1003_1_800.jpg (68 KB, 1200x1200)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3950085
Only Copics and Chameleon are refillable. Ohuhu are decent, better than Touchfive for sure, and on the same quality of STA.
If you're looking for brush tip markers specifically, Winstor&Newton are the best, but still very expensive. Decently prices alternatives are Artiste Docrafts and Mastermarkers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCBIGZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_C2M7Cb8RWPFTA

I gave most of my markers away but I owned all mentioned brands.
>>
>>3948041
me
>>3950085
>>3950424
I'll get them next week hopefully... will let you guys know if there worth it. Bough the 120 set because damn they cheap. I also worker with Winsor & Newton ProMarkers but they kinda lacked colours and their grip wasn't the best for me. ProMarkers do seem to live longer than my copic ciao but again youtubers did give decent reviews for the Ohuhu so i have high hopes.
>>
File: the adult dicks.jpg (118 KB, 372x509)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Listen man, if you do watercolors, a bigger brush is always better. Get a BIG brush. A HUGE BIG DICK ULTRAGIGACHAD PUSSY DESTROYER BRUSH. I bought a Cotman size 16 recently that's not even close to the largest, but several times the size of the brushes I used before. It has changed my life. It comes to a fine point so I can do detailed work, but its huge size lets it carry loads of paint, melt paint easy and shit out washes like it's nobody's business. No more mixing paint 30 times and going back and forth to palette like you're doing aerobics.

It is like Shibasaki says, a big brush can do what a small one does, but not the other way around. Your cock will grow 15 inches with this secret Ron Jeremy does not want you to know
>>
Im currently looking for a tip-heavy mechanical pencil that is available in 0.7 , what i normally use is pilot delful ( pic related). I love it to death but its only available in 0.5 . Any recommendations?
>>
File: IMG_1617.jpg (18 KB, 600x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>3950559
Oops
>>
What kind of converter is compatible with the pilot kakuno? I've heard some say the con-40, con-50, and con 20 as answers.
>>
>>3950676
The newer ones take everything, including CON-70. The initial run ones have extra plastic fins inside the barrel, so CON-70 doesn't fit, only 20/40/50 do.
Consider refilling cartridges.
>>
Can anyone recommend pens that work well with alcohol markers?
>>
Is it possible to convert the platinum carbon into an eye dropper pen?
>>
>>3950722
Copic fineliners, kuretake mangaka fineliners, tombow fudenosuke
>>
>>3944662
Uniball smudges when you do water color over it. What do?
>>
>>3950784
Shouldn't be doing that if the ink is waterproof. Try the Copic fineliners.
>>
>>3945069
What kind do you use with the G nibs?
Im using speedballs India ink and it feels like I have to dip my pen a lot more than I should.
>>
>>3950784
how?? It works perfectly fine for me. What paper do you use?
>>
>>3950815
Not that guy, but -
Speedball is the gunkiest ink I have ever used. It is absolute SHIT with dip pens (imo). Get the Zig cartoonist ink or Pilot Drafting Pen ink. I mostly just use any sumi ink, but those two are highly regarded.
>>
>>3950832
Ohh so it was the ink. I brought one of their massive bottles because I thought it was good value.
>>
>>3950769
Thank you!
>>
Recommended sketchbooks to use with ink? I need to sketch what i see more so I want to do so with ink, be it fountain pena or fineliners or ballpoint to brushpen.
>>
What's a good comic/lineart based paper that's good in price and amount? For pencil. I'm currently using Strathmore bristol board, was looking for something less overkill and more value since I'm just doing pencil.
>>
if i want to learn via tracing, should i get one of those backlights, tracing paper, or just get a tablet?
>>
>>3954077
you dont learn anything via tracing
>>
>>3954077
tracing makes you better at tracing, not much else
>>
>>3949411
I assume the lightboxes you're looking at on Amazon are all the flat plastic LED ones? I've bought two (A4 and A3), both from different sellers, and they both work just fine. I think they're all the exact same thing just rebranded. You could probably find one on ebay or aliexpress being sold directly from china for even less - cause that's where they all come from anyway.

I haven't taken the plunge yet on copics, but if I were to expand into colored markers I'd probably get less saturated markers for each color. Check out the numbering guide for how they rank the saturation of each color and then go middle of the line. I feel like earthier tones would be easier to use to add splashes of color to an ink drawing without requiring a ton of blending or shading (or use of multiple colors). Perhaps a light shade of blue would be useful for adding in shadows?
>>
Anyone use Zebra maru nibs? I use the tachikawa soft maru and wanted to see how they compare.
>>
>>3954066
Opaline cardboard.
>>
>>3954066
Cardstock. I use springhill cardstock for fooling with pencil and ink. It's like 20 bucks for 250 sheets 11x17. Can't be beat.
>>
>>3949411
>Any general guidelines for making color schemes with copic sketch markers?
buy themed packs instead of basic color packs, they come with these palettes that work very well together and force you to be creative with a limited amount of colors. I own pick related, W&N warm grey set, and Posca Midnight tones set.
>>3949411
>I also have been looking for a lightbox that people would recommend. All the ones on Amazon are very hard to trust in terms of reviews.
lightboxed tend to all be shit, so you might as well go for the least expensive one. I own a 15$ A4 from aliexpress with no corners, works via usb cable, the side with the button tends to get hot after a while, but i had it for 3 years so far and never had issues
>>
File: muji.jpg (36 KB, 603x295)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Pentel Graphgear 1000 mechanical pencil, mostly because i find the grip more comfortable,
Also recently bought these Muji black erasers, and they are great. No smudging and good on heavy pencil lines.
>>
I'm an oilfag. I prefer different brands for different pigments but gamblin is usually a decent goto especially if its not a pigment ive used before. Stretch your own canvases if possible.
>>
If you want to use a lightbox for watercolor paper, you need a more powerful lightbox than the Huion ones. In general buy the brightest lightbox you can.
>>
>>3944597
You can get the Jinhao x750 for pretty cheap on amazon and replace the nib with a zebra g nib which you can also get on amazon.
>>
Redpill me on alcohol markers, lads.
I played with my sister's Windsor & Newton promarkers and they're fucking amazing. They honestly look better than copics but they're not refillable.

My plan is to buy the 24 pack of promarkers as a base, supplemented with chink copic clones, just as something to start with. Give your opinions and experiences on the various clones
-Bianyo
-Ohuhu
-Touchfive
-any other clones
>>
These are fantastic technical pens which I use for all of my illustrations.
>>
someone sold me these for $50 canadaroonis
>>
>>3955822
pass me one of the grey sets
Those are selled at like 20 euros I want it
>>
>>3955688
is this worth it? the seller wont haggle lower
>>
>>3955822
some nigger lifted those from a shop
>>
Are Sennelier La Petite Aquarelle (the student Sennelier line) 24 half pans a good deal (usually around $35ish) and what colors, if any, should I pick up in addition? Also looking at the Niji 21 Pearlescent pans, even tho I'm sure they're bad, they're like $5 so why not.
>>
>Conté à Paris Pierre Noire
SSS+ tier fine art pencils. Control and look better then any charcoal I've seen in my life.
>KOH-I-NOOR Progresso woodless graphite
EXTRA THICC core that literally never breaks. Feels good and heavy in hand. Just all around quality.
>Faber-Castell kneaded erasers
Picks up shit like no other eraser also super easy to shape.
>Copics
Overpriced as fuck but there's really no good competition if you want refills.
>>
>>3954524
Is there differences of textures on the sides of paper you use? I want to go full on bang for buck and don't want a repeat of what happened with some bristol.
>>
Recently I have been using a lightpad to speed up my process. Of course there is a stigma against tracing, but that's only when you're tracing ***other people's stuff***. Here's the thing: When I am drawing a figure and wing some foreshortening or something, or maybe I'm about to ink a delicate face, I get the heebie jeebies. I'm sure I'll fuck it up. So what I do instead of freezing up is immediately grab scrap paper, trace my own drawing several times, and go nuts on those to experiment with lines, hatching, angles and the like. A little while later I'm confident I know what to do and then it's time for the real thing.

And if I fuck that up, or spill some ink on that shit? I can recreate the thing up to the point where I left off at painlessly. I used it a bunch to experiment with coloring the same figure as well. It's good for morale, like having layers/ctrl+z in real life.
>>
>>3954066
wow frank cho is worse than I remember

newsprint looks really nice if you're just making pencil lineart, but if you want something lighter than bristol board you can try Fabriano 5 drawing paper, it's basically lighter bristol with a smooth surface. Manga paper is also similar but I don't know how it compares in price.
>>
>>3956439
>receive yet another "drawing kit" with a bunch of abysmal quality stuff like pencils and charcoals and tortillons and literal toilet paper sketchbook
>throw everything away because unusable
>woodless graphite pencil is the only thing I salvaged
>kinda dig it because of how easily you can lay down tone
>it falls
>shatters in a million pieces
I'll take wood pencils thank you very much
also koh-i-noor is a trash brand IME, everything koh-i-noor I bought was horrible quality
>>
Looking for dip pen+nib holder and ink type recommendations for comic art/illustrations, have used only fineliners so far
>>
>>3944498
Any recs for a good acrylic starter set? I’ve never done acrylics before, but I signed up for a painting class and I need to bring my own supplies. Something basic for practice?

Anything else I need to get started?
>>
>>3956407
Just thinking the same thing. Anon almost got double the value for what he paid.

>>3958130
I really like my Kaweco dip pen, mostly because it just feels nice in my hand. The nib it came with is very nice too. I guess the ink I'm using is a black deleter. Don't remember what it cost, but I want to say it was in the $10 - $20 range. I don't use good inks unless it's a commission piece/personal piece.
Alternatively, just get any holder you like and order some good nibs. It's the nibs that matter, mostly, but I chose the kaweco because it's a lot thinner and has a nice heft to it than most cheap holders. It even came in a nice tin.
>>
>>3958156
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm having trouble because most (art related) stores in my country don't stock any dip pens whatsoever, let alone the brands I looked up. I had no luck finding speedball crow quills for example and can't find that kaweco, so I will probably have to import from overseas at high cost.
>>
>>3944597
>fountain pen
Just get a holder, some nibs, and some ink. Dip pens can do it just as well and will invariably teach you to manage your ink efficiently.
>>
File: dick.jpg (9 KB, 84x199)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>3958182
I ended up ordering from the jetpens store 2 nib holders, 3 ink bottles, and 15 nibs (G/zebra/maru) for a total of ~85 euros 30 of which was for shipping. The Kaweco looked neat, but I highly doubt it was worth being >4 times the price of popular nib holders so I passed on it. Probably paid a tremendous amount more than I needed to and shipping costs are ridiculous.

Shipping Option 1: $18 you are responsible for customs payments, no tracking, no guarantees, ~45 days
Option 2: $30 1-5 business days signature on delivery no fuss no muss
>>
>>3957986
Thats how I use it, it's exacly like using layers in real life, plus I think as long as you're building your own work up, you would also get a lot of benefit out of it since you are manually solving your own problems. Instead of say relying on the liquify tool or something like that digitally.
>>
>>3958257
jesus christ, that shipping is terrible. where do you live, anon?
>>
also, kaweco is a luxuriant brand. if you have disposable money, it's worth it as the quality is quite high. if you don't, there are definitely alternatives that do just as good a job.
>>
>>3958310
Netherlands my man
>>
>>3958314
oh, no wonder why you got fucked by jp - it's free usa shipping on $25 usd+ orders. something didn't click for me. what's weird is that being far closer to germany i'd have thought you would be able to secure kaweco for far cheaper since it's a german manufacturer.

yeah, fuck that. your order is fine this time around, but please do yourself a favor next time and do comparative price shopping/shipping before you order anything else unless you've got money. jetpens is nice stateside, but there are definitely other art supply suppliers that can cater to you without fucking you through shipping prices.
>>
>>3958257
Why 3 ink bottles though? You're paying out of your ass if you get several small ones instead one big one.
>>
>>3958335
Yea, and even if there are no suitable stores I'll give ebay or amazon.de a shot next time.

>>3958360
I never even thought of getting a big one, all I saw were ones of similar size. One of the 3 is white though. I suppose if one spills I'll still have another one. Thanks for the insight lads I'll be more thrifty next time
>>
>>3958386
On ebay you can get most products directly out of japan with free shipping. They take a few weeks to arrive but it's a non issue if you purchase early enough.
>>
So I have a solid grasp on handling pens/pencils, but I've been looking into brush pens recently. It seems like they have the potential to offer me everything, but I have no idea what to look for in them.

Anyone have any recommendations? Also, is there anything to keep in mind when using a brush pen?
>>
>>3958391
I didn't know that, that's really convenient. In some countries there is a local amazon/ebay equivalent (bol dot com or marktplaats in the Netherlands) and pretty much everyone uses solely that. Some stores capitalize on consumer laziness/lack of availability and do things like directly convert dollar prices to euro
>>
>>3958399
https://www.parkablogs.com/content/brush-pens-compared-drawing-purposes

Definitely get some disposable ones first to try them out. And definitely get one with a firm brush since the loose ones are extremely hard to control.
>>
>>3958427
To add to this, you can probably order a brush pen sampler from a supplier for $30 - $50 if you're genuinely interested in the reputable brands and what they have to offer. I know jetpens offers such things, as does amazon, and you do typically get some nice pens out of the arrangement.
>>
>>3957986

Only a fool would criticize you for doing this.
>>
>>3958399

Pentel brush pen is my favorite. Only issue is that it runs out of ink rather quickly, so you'll probably need a few refill cartridges ready to go.

>Also, is there anything to keep in mind when using a brush pen?

Draw lightly. You need no pressure to draw. It's more like painting with watercolor in that way.
>>
Anyone can tell me what the price of prismacolor col erase are in america in stores?
I can order some for $17 for a box of 12 of the same color. But the shipping is $19 too.

I can get polychromos at a walk in store here but they are 20 euro for 12 and every recommends col erase (might be an american bias?)
>>
>>3958482
>>3958427
>>3958457
Thanks guys. I might pick up a few microns or something to get a feel for it. I'll ask whoever's around if they know about brush firmness too.
>>
>>3956085
Depends on where you live, but I'd say the price is ok, especially if they are new, at least in my opinion. Koh I Noor aren't as good as rotrings, but rapidographs in general are meant to be long lasting, almost eternal, if you hand them properly. Some aspects of them can be a pain in the ass but they do give you a completely even line. If this is what you're looking for, instead of the usual small range of variation that felt tip pens give, then go for it, if you don't, just use copic sps.
>>
>>3957453
One side seems a bit smoother. The other side has a bit of tooth. I prefer the toothier side for both pencil and ink but you can use pencil with either side. Feels great to draw on and doesn't crumple when you erase since its thick. I can't go back to thin paper hah.

It's an insane bang for buck. I bought it back in November or something but I still have a heavy, thick as fuck stack of the stuff.
>>
>>3958948
But there isn't so much a difference in the textures, then? Like, would you say one had your pen gliding noticeably faster, for example? I'm trying to see if I could get away of using both sides to get the most from the paper.
>>
>>3959069
No, the difference isn't THAT big. I always use both sides. I cut the cardstock in halves as well, since mine is 11x17.
>>
>>3950424
>>3950295
How about a good, on budget, sketchbook/pad for copics?
>>
How do I get ink to last longer on my nibs? I feel like I'm constsntly having to dip it more than I should be.
>>
>>3958882
If you have a "Japanese" store nearby, they often have disposable Zig brush pens for sale. I used those for a while before getting my Pentel.

I don't much care for the sponge-tip brush pens myself. They wear out and require more effort.
>>
>>3959257
you likely press way too much and release too much ink. you're not supposed to do that, you should barely touch the paper
>>
File: 71xCirQJ9fL._SX425_.jpg (28 KB, 425x302)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
How good/bad is the "manga paper" stuff like Deleter and IC?
Can it take Crow Quills/G-Pens without tearing up?
What about washes?

It's quite cheap in bulk here, way cheaper than Bristol, and I'm considering it as an option.
>>
>>3959388
If it's the same paper that comes with those starter nib sets, then it's pretty good for the nibs themselves, dunno about washes though
>>
just got a set of dark (6, 4, 2, hb) derwent graphite pencils and these are far superior to shittler lumographs in every way imaginable
>>
>>3955620
The winsor newton ones are by far the best ive used so far too. only the price and the ecological aspects combined into an unrefillable pen are what puts me off of rebuying most of my colors (Ive spent about 300 bucks once on them and used paper that really SOAKED up the liquid which put them at a very bad price point) but colorwise they trash copics in almost every aspect.
>>3956429
I use old holland watercolors. Theyre kind of pricey but unbeatable in pigment quality. IMO they trash other brands (even Smith colors or qpc by a margin, the company has a super long tradition (Ordering the color chart first is extremely recommendable)
>>3956439
the conte a paris noire pens are really good.

>>3959517
>lumographs
>lumographs
Rofl you poor americans.
I wouldnt even use most staedler products for a prostate massage.
The best wood graphite pencils ive known so far were the softer caran d'ache ones. they rock.
>>
>>3955620
I eventually bought two grey W&N markers for basic sketching, in my opinions markers are just shitty watercolors. I have no idea why people use them.
>>
What are people's thoughts on drawing with an apple pen? I've been looking at getting a cheap tablet for work but saw an Apple Pen get mentioned somewhere and was wondering if it would be worth it spending a bit more and getting the pen/tablet that I can use for drawing as well?
>>
>>3959289
Okay that's what I thought was happening, thanks for the confirmation
>>
>>3957453
What happened with the Bristol?
>>
>>3959585
>caran d'ache
Overpriced as fuck.
>>
>>3959595
well you need a tablet to draw on first but i like my 12.9 inch ipad pro and apple pencil
>>
>>3944516
does this work in reverse? would my wet smelly toilet paper/baby wipes work well for watercolor painting?
>>
>>3959585
They're nice, but waaaay out of my price range. Is there anything in the $30~40ish range and at least 24 colors that can beat the Sennelier La Petite 24 half pan set?
>>
thoughts on recycled paper? bought a 400 series pad not realizing it was recycled, seems like its about as good as any other 400 series paper.
>>
>>3960572
love it. Works as well as normal paper if it's of good quality, plus it adds a natural texture and slightly off color that add to the final image. Even when I do ink imageso n it to color digitally I still leave the off color and texture visible
>>
File: 344249.jpg (62 KB, 560x560)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
What do you guys think of Derwent Procolour and coloursoft?
I got one Procolour Ivory Black 71 and I really like it, so I`m thinking of buying more, what do you think?
>>
>>3960649
I use the white when sketching on tanned paper, it does it's okay, I don't have any complains.
>>
>>3960584
The only issue with recycled is archival issues. Recycled means one thing: bleach. And that will make the paper yellow and break down over time a lot faster. But for sketching and stuff you're not going to save anyway, perfect. But if you want a serious sketchbook to last, avoid it.
>>
>>3960649
I have a small tin of them I got as a gift. They're interesting. They're like halfway between wax and oil pencils, so they go down very bright, and they're not scratchy or too soft, like some. I haven't used them a lot, but when I did, I didn't have any issues at all.

Derwent is pretty middle of the road, to me, their stuff is fine in a pinch - not awful, but not the better stuff.
>>
File: 81vEpGFYbgL._SL1500_.jpg (89 KB, 1500x1500)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>3955188
You're better off with a projector for watercolor paper, if you can afford one. I've had the bigger Artograph for years, they're handy for transferring sketches to large canvases and sheets of watercolor. I'm thinking about getting rid of it, and picking up an old TV projector, those are cheap now, and would be brighter, and the Artographs are seriously limited to how big the source sheet can be.
>>
>>3958138
The class doesn't give you a supplies list? I'll be honest, I can't think it's any good if they just expect you to figure it out - or the first class will cover what you need.
>>
>>3960523
There's no stock answer here. Do you want pans, or tubes? Are you willing to buy the stuff individually, or a set? If price is the only consideration, go poke around Amazon, Blick, and Jerry's Artorama, and see what deals they have going, or look in the clearance section.
>>
>>3959623
bad case of me not reading the small print. Some weird shit about one side being smooth, the other vellum. Not too big a deal, most sources expect you to use only one side, but I'd rather get more out of my paper, y'know?
>>
>>3960976
Yeah, fair. I'm looking for a pan set with at least 24 as a set. I'm also trying to get the best quality I can for the price, but I think it's between the Sennelier student line and White Nights I think.
>>
>>3960966
whats the best colored pencils you used?
>>
>>3960970
I make rather intricate digital sketches that I print out and ink on watercolor paper. I'm not sure if a projector can give me that kind of precision. In the end I picked up a 30W LED outdoors light that is extremely bright and put the paper directly on it while I save up for a better lightbox. I hope it won't damage my eyes.
>>
>>3952080
stratmore
>>
>>3958138
golden heavy body
>>
>>3961808
I couldn't tell you. I don't really use them that often, or at all, really. I use them once in a while to touch up a watercolor. I know I have a tin of those, and a box of random prismacolors.
>>
>>3961918
A TV projector might work, it's something I want to look into, a basic one, like 720p, is the same price as an optical projector.
>>
>>3958156
each of those packs retail for like 20-25 in canada so heck yeah i got a great deal
>>
RGH oils is a direct to consumer handmade oil paint company from ny state and its the best paint i've ever used. A third the price as old holland but just as good.
>>
>>3962421
Hmm. They're priced about the same as Winsor & Newton. Might have to pick up their primaries and try them out.
>>
>>3949411
I'm trying to figure this out myself, I probably own more than I should at like 40ish. I think you probably either buy a pack with a bunch of colors/primaries or slowly pick up what you want when you buy supplies. I started off with a set of cool greys and skin tones, picked up a 12 pack,BV25, and then picked up these markers which I put together from some videos and looking at the chart.
Y - Y11/Y13
R - R24/R27/R29
B - B21/B24/B26/B29
G - YG01/YG03/YG17
W3/W5/W7/0

Some of them you can get away with only the lighter colors but some of them like blues lean one color temp or another even though they're in the same blending family. You don't actually save anything by buying in packs generally compared to open stock so you can find the marker pack listings and buy them in singles. Dick Blick and Amazon in my experience have been cheapest.

A start would be the skin pack, every other warm or cool grey (or 3 of each 3/5/7|2/4/6), and some of the colors from the 12/24 sets for designers/manga artists.Watch some videos on the official channel and see if any colors catch your eye or techniques so you can understand what to look for in colors.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO7mq3zcB_2zaCt6XfJW6Sg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OFfaxQ9KSE&t=1m14s
https://copic.jp/en/color/
https://copic.jp/en/about/color_system/
>>
>>3956085
Better off getting some nibs and a bottle of ink at that point. If you need 3 different sizes may as well get a nib that can be flexed for that line variation. Maintenance is annoying enough for a single rapidograph pen.
>>
A decent brush, couple of nibs, and a lead holder with photocopy blue lead.

Bottle of ink, bit of white out... really all I used professionally until everyone and their grandmother started using graphic tablet software.
>>
Are there monitor arms/etc. that are as stable as easels?

I see people using high end tablets on some kind of suspension - is that at all comparable to an easel or just a shit gimmick? If its useful I'd just slap a mundane surface area onto it, it seems like it takes up less space.
>>
>>3944498
Mitsubishi hi-unis my guy
>>
File: 81LjR+5amZL._SL1500_.jpg (96 KB, 1500x1500)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
I'm supposed to fill these with fountain pen ink, right? Just want to make sure I'm buying the right type of ink, I read in a thread a while ago that india ink blobs and works badly.
>>
>>3963137
I have the Amazon Basics dual arm holding up my 24HD Cintiq. It's pretty stable, considering this thing weighs 35 lbs. (that's why dual arm). They're adjustable, you can tighten/loosen them with a hex wrench, at each arm junction. Attaching a drawing board would be pretty easy.
>>
>>3963731
yea, avoid anything with shellac. something like a technical pen ink is good too like the rotring ink
>>
Can anybody recommend a good lamp for when I'm drawing later on in the evening?

The light from the ceiling is annoying, shadow of my hand keeps going over the page.
>>
>>3963107
The maintenance thing is only true if you leave them sitting for a LONG time (like, months or years). I use them regularly and clean them when the ink runs out. Never had any sort of problem desu.
>>
>>3963731
As the other anon said, technical pen ink works fine, and it's ideal for brush pens like these. I've read that fountain pen ink is too "liquid" for these though.
>>
What watercolors would you guys recommend?
>>
>>3963890
Xiaomi lamp
>>
>>3964023
Thank you
>>
>>3963781
>>3963985
I'll use technical pen ink, then. Thanks for replying.
>>
>>3964022
Daniel smith is the best but it costs a leg and an eye. I suggest White Nights, Van Gogh or Rubens
>>
Can I ask here for any pen display tablet recommendations? I'm looking to invest in one to see if it could help me improve my lineart since I'm never satisfied with how it feels to do as well as how it comes out digitally for me while I'm fine with it traditionally. As much as I'd like a Cintiq it's far out of my budget for now. I've mainly been eyeing Huiom's Kamvas series but any recommendations and tips for buying one would be helpful, this might be the only time I'd be able to take full advantage of drawing with one for a while if I bought one now.
>>
>>3964022
Winsor & Newton, or Schmincke are good in my experience.
But it's expensive, of course the tubes last quite a long time since you never paint with it directly but that doesn't make the purchase any less harsh on your wallet.
>>
>>3964022
whatever artist grade you can get. you can start a little at a time, don't need 12 colors. holbein, schmincke, m graham, van gogh, daniel smith, sennelier, winsor newton
>>
>>3959388
>Can it take Crow Quills/G-Pens without tearing up?
Yeah it's a thin Kent paper that can crease easily but it's smoother than any form of Bristol that I've tried and it takes mechanical pencil lead very well.
>What about washes?
Definitely not, it also has some trouble with the pentel brush pen ink.
>>
Anyone know of a double ended, metal nib holder? Been looking for one for ages, but no luck.
>>
>>3966098
I think you'd have to find one used from japan. I've not seen any either, would like one for gpen on one side and maru on the other but instead I'm stuck with a tachikawa and a deleter holder. You might be able to find some chink shit on ebay or alibaba but I have no interest in that.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.