[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: shades.jpg (162 KB, 650x879)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
Has anyone tried both the Cintiqs and iPads? When I was in art school almost 10 years ago, the school had these 21 inch Cintiqs. Not only did they feel annoyingly hot all the time, but I also despised how much the pen "dragged" compared to my little Intuos2. My Intuos was lightweight, sensitive, and very responsive. There was no drag at all, and I draw really fast. I didn't even like the Intuos4 either, too much crap I didn't need. I still have the Intuos2 to this day.

Last week, I walked into a Best Buy and tried the iPad Pro (12.9 inch, 3rd gen) on display with Procreate, and noticed just how quickly it responded compared to the Cintiq I tried 10 years ago. My 6 year old iPad had drag as well when I tried to draw with it, so I knew it was technology getting better. I am definitely getting the new iPad Pro, but I also want something with a larger screen I can use with a PC because it's just more versatile (the hot keys).

Now that I am getting tired of my small Intuos, especially after working with larger screens, I thought about getting a tablet that I can directly draw on. It's going to save desk space as well since I can directly draw on a screen instead of having a separate tablet taking up space. Maybe Cintiq also improved like the iPad did, but I can't find a place where I can test the current Cintiqs. If they are just as responsive as the iPad I tried, and doesn't drag like the past Cintiq did, then I am going to buy one and give away my Intuos.

I am looking at the Cintiq 22HD 21 inch, if anyone has experience with it. My biggest concern is that it will "drag" (and I am very spoiled thanks to traditional mediums), and that it will overheat all the time.
>>
>>4013782
since you linked Speed, does anyone know if he teaches construction or sight-size? Most of what I see in that book is grid stuff.
>>
>>4013782

I'm also curious but with cintiq 16. I watched this video and it made cintiq look like complete shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U60eW6AWSHc
>>
>>4013855
I heard the current cintiqs dont have the problems this one does, but who knows? Where can we go to test these out?
>>
>>4013989
You're nearest B&H or Micro Centers usually have them on display (cintiqs). I've never been to Fry's electronics but I think they do to. Just about every big box store has ipads on display.
>>
Just bend over and take the iCock, it's all for the better. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
>>4014019
I'll look for the closest Micro Center. Thanks.

>>4014022
I just bought one today, along with the pen, stand, and the matte paper-like layer.
>>
I have a 12.9 inch ipad and a 22 inch cintiq (and an empty wallet). Some observations:

iPad:
- Portability is a huge plus.
- It's versatile. You can do more than draw on it.
- I suggest getting the next size up unless you're already used to drawing in smaller sketchbooks and really value the portability. It's reasonably big but I do sometimes feel the limitations.
- Procreate is great once you learn the touch commands, but I prefer Clip Studio on my desktop PC. I'm not willing to pay the asking price for the iPad app and I hear, as far as conversion to a touch format goes, it's not as good.
- You have to charge the pen. It charges fast but it's still a mild nuisance.
- Screen is a bit slippery. I got a textured screen protector but it's not great either. You can get specialized 'paper-like' ones but they're expensive and I haven't tried them.

Cintiq:
- You can use keyboard shortcuts and generally have the power of a desktop PC behind you. This gives you a lot more versatility software wise (especially if you're used to photoshop).
- The extra space is notable, one of the main things I like over my iPad. You can fit a lot onto this in terms of UI without sacrificing drawing space, whereas any UI in the iPad is distinctly felt.
- Being plugged right into your PC makes it easier to save it / share it, in my opinion.

Speed and performance I find comparable, your mileage may vary with the quality of your PC. The cintiq gets noisy, though.

Ultimately I use my iPad more for doodling and my Cintiq more for actual pieces. I think this is largely a software thing rather than a hardware thing, I just value the versatility and ease-of-use I get from keyboard shortcuts and Clip Studio on the desktop, and I feel like I have more control. That said, in terms of bang-for-your-buck, the iPad is probably better value for most the same functionality (plus other iPad functions).
>>
>>4014903

Sorry, it's the 11 inch iPad that I have. I think the 12.9 would be a lot better size-wise.
>>
>>4014879

I suggest getting a case with a pen holder and one of those little rubber things that holds the lid on (unless you got the new generation one that seems to charge without needing to plug in).

Otherwise I guarantee you will lose that lid.
>>
>>4014903
Thanks for the detailed info. What are the specs for your PC? I have a powerful rig, but I could upgrade the GPU and/or CPU. Would this make a difference with the Cintiq?

I also like CSP and guessing that the Procreate won't be as good, but I heard Medibang has an ipad version that's comparable. Has anyone tried Medibang before? How does it compare to Procreate?

>>4014945
ok thanks

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.