[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 06_05.jpg (159 KB, 600x1482)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
Manga screentones.
Where do I start?
>>
By purchasing some or downloading digital ones.
>>
>>4014371
Neither of those are an option. The artstyle I employ does not mesh well with pregenerated assets.
>>
>>4014379
This is a really vague ass sentence and I have no idea how you actually expect anyone to help you when you write like this. Use more of your fucking words, you aren't the MC in a noir.
>>
>>4014379
That's what screentone is though. Your only options seem to be creating your own screentones on computer or find a method to produce similar results with tools. A tabletop tennis ball surrounded by cloth, with a drop of ink, for example, will produce a cloudy result difficult to produce by hand alone. Give it a try.
>>
File: 1535220295695.png (108 KB, 316x490)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>4014379
Nigger, do you know what a screentone is?

Back in the day mangakas 3000 times better than you'll ever be bought them in bulks and pasted it on their drawings.

What you're looking for is probably hatching, but as >>4014430 put it, the asking style you employ does not mesh well with getting help.
>>
>>4014379
Post work, retard. How are we expected to give you a personalized answer if you don’t give us more information
>>
>>4014379
>The artstyle I employ does not mesh well with pregenerated assets.
Screentones are literally that, pregenerated assets. In traditional form you buy them, they are adhesive sheets that you paste on the page and cut out accordingly. The reason why they exist is printing limitations, they used this mesh of dots to create shades of grey. I don't even know if that's the case anymore.
If your idea is to publish your pages digitally, know that screentones tend to create unpleasant patterns on monitors when the image gets resized. This is different from other artefacts like moire, that happen when you use clashing patterns on top of one another.
I use them when I really want the thing I'm doing to feel like a manga for gimmick reasons, but otherwise they're just not worth it. Just use a flat tone and put a raster texture on top. Modern mangaka are switching away from them too, or use textures instead.
>>
You can make them in photoshop by converting from grayscale to bitmap and experimenting with various options and resolutions. I used it to create different patterns for colourless documents that wouldn't look like ass.
>>
File: file.png (1.15 MB, 922x614)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>4014379

Nigga thats literally what a fucking screentone is are you stupid?

You think they draw that shit by hand? Even back in the day they didnt draw it by hand, retard, they ordered sheets of screentones and cut them out.
>>
File: tenor (3).gif (3.86 MB, 240x266)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB GIF
>>4014370
>>4014379
>where do i start on explicitly uniformly pregenerated stock assets that were traditionally used by ordering sheets and cutting them into shape, now used through digital means, both having nearly the same result either way, and both being artificially generated through technological means to be used after the fact
>the artstyle i employ does not mesh will with pregenerated assets
>>
>>4014371
lol good luck
>>
>>4014370
source?
>>
>>4014379
You retard.
>>
>>4015481
You don't cut it, but you stick it on your paper and use a sharp precision knife to scrape the parts that are supposed to be in light.
>>
>>4019082
Anon you put them down, cut, and then remove the parts you dont want. You dont scrape it off.
>>
>>4019091
You can scrape it off sometimes, for certain effects.
>>
>>4019121
Yeah but typically thats not what you do when you apply it.
>>
>>4019091
There is this reality show about mangaka working in Japan, and most of them scrape it off. To my recollection, i forgot about the name of the show though.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.