[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: tKeWANU.png (554 KB, 1023x961)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:
>>80104005

Panzer vor!
>>
ded
>>
File: upset and confused.jpg (56 KB, 555x502)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>Install a Japanese IME
>Even when it's not the active keyboard layout my password manager's auto-type feature will fuck up typing passwords like 50% of the time
Is this the universe giving me a sign so that I don't continue learning Japanese?
>>
File: jlpt3.jpg (2.01 MB, 3072x2048)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
Just arrived. Cool
>>
>>80235251
Nice job anon, how long have you been studying Japanese?
>>
>>80235251
>Australia
>USA flag

Which are you
>>
I just finished RTK now what?
Also
>>
File: 1506719187600.jpg (13 KB, 420x300)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
What's your studying routine? What other media do you use to supplement your studying (movies, manga, newspapers, etc.)?
>>
>>80235763
About 1.5 years at the time I took it

>>80236043
USA, was in oz visiting relatives
>>
>>80236585
I don't really do much pure studying anymore; just watch TV, play games, and read while taking note of words or kanji that are unfamiliar along the way. I also write in Japanese a lot, and that seems to help in both retention and alerting me to what I've forgotten.
>>
File: IMG_4423.jpg (2.41 MB, 1936x2592)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
Hello, sorry I'm new on this board so sorry if I come with a weird question but I don't know where else to ask.

I suck at being self-taught so I'm taking Japanese classes on my local university. I haven't have any problems with the teaching nor anything, but I have come with something that bugs me.

We learned how to write ふ some weeks ago with 4 strokes, and in the book it says the third one must be upstroke, so that's how I have been doing it. But looking closely to how my teacher writes it he does a downstroke instead (he also does one stroke instead of the first 2 but I already know that is an optional deal). I searched on the internet and I only saw one video that did the upstroke, and even one page said doing an upstroke was incorrect. So what is the truth?

Pic related is a photo of how the book shows the strokes.
>>
>>80237239
nigga who the fuck cares
>>
>>80237239
Wey, no importa mucho hacia donde va la raya, solo que se note, pero la gran mayoria lo hace hacia abajo. Si es hacia arriba es una herencia de cuando se escribia con brocha
En que universidad estas estudiando?
>>
>>80237373
I do, call it autistic if you will

>>80237401
Universidad de Sonora
>>
>>80237413
Unison? Que estudias? y como te dijo el Aleman, a nadie le importa con que se noten los trazos, cuando empieces a aprender Kanji vas a darte cuenta de lo "meca" que esta tu pregunta.
>>
>>80237401
spics out
>>
>>80237239
The instructions in your book are likely "correct", but such things (stroke order and direction) are guidelines. Like you learned how to write the alphabet as a child, it's important to learn it as a beginner so you can get as close to the original character as possible. However, with practice, you'll likely find different ways of writing each hiragana and katakana that are faster and more comfortable for you. At that point, you really don't have to care about which stroke comes first or whether it goes up or down.
>>
>>80237495
Look the board you are writing
>>
>>80237464
Ya me gradué, estudié Diseño Gráfico. Las clases de japonés se llenan al toque y si eres estudiante universitario te toca inscribirte cuando ya los extrauniversitarios ocuparon como el 70% del cupo así que después de varios intentos de "esperar a que alguien se de de baja porque el que estaba enfrente de ti en la fila tomó el último cupo de las clases" decidí estudiar hasta después de terminar la carrera. Gracias por la respuesta.
>Kanji
Oh God.

>>80237509
I see then, thanks for the explanation. And sorry to bother with a silly question.
>>
>>80237621
It's easy to get carried away worrying over such things when learning a language so different from your mother tongue. Any and all questions are welcome!

がんばってね
>>
>tfw learning Japanese is making my English grammar shittier since Japanese is more context based
Either that or I'm bad regardless
>>
>>80235251
Nicely done, someday I hope that I'll be able to make that post
>>
>>80236682
>>About 1.5 years at the time I took it
1.5 years of study to pass N1? How would you have rated your level of comprehension of just general Japanese content you were interested in reading at the time?
>>
File: 1491433883550.jpg (54 KB, 597x597)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
I haven't been learning or doing reps for 2 weeks now.

I kinda lost my motivation, what do?
>>
>>80239607
Fuck motivation, buy a shock collar you stupid sauerkraut and get to it.
>>
>>80239607
Stop doing boring studying and watch anime instead
>>
i have a hour and a half round trip to work everyday, what is the best way to study while in my car?
And if you recommend the resource list of the guide, what would be the best audio book for a beginner?
>>
>>80235251
Noice, mate.
>>
>>80240737
The standard recommendation for a complete beginner would be the Japanese Pod 101 files in the guide. Later you can start listening to radio and drama CDs or whatever.
>>
>>80242220
alright, thanks
>>
File: ice cream.jpg (81 KB, 500x667)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>80239607
Your problem is that you're driven by transient motivation rather than persistent discipline. I failed at learning Japanese before because I was the same way, until I woke up two years later and realized that if I didn't actively change the way I was going about things, I was just going to waste my life away having not learned Japanese (or accomplished other, similar goals).
>>
>>80238489
>>80240920
Thanks mates. To americafriend: without trying to sound humblebraggy, it's really not as hard as you might think, if you just keep consuming content you're interested in you will get there sooner than later. It is not testing whether you know how to read Bocchan, but just whether you are reasonably functional in typical reading and listening comprehension. All the "N1 is impossible" posts just come from sour grapes University of Rosetta Stone grads.

>>80238565
Depends on what exactly you mean by level of comprehension. For reading, I basically solely read visual novels. I got good enough at grammar that if I knew every word in the sentence I basically had 100% comprehension, even if it was at 1/5 English reading speed. Slowing down to go "wait what the fuck did I just read" became a thing one every thousand lines instead of one every ten. But there were (and are) still tons of vocabulary words I don't know; for those I just hover over them with my firefox text hooker setup (use text hookers, they're not a crutch, they just make lookup faster) and if I feel like it I add the word/sentence to Anki.

For listening comprehension I'm still bad, I don't know how I got as high as I did on the test. Planning to fix that with a bunch of anime
>>
File: 1495498175727.jpg (135 KB, 736x550)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>that kid in the Japanese class who uses 「俺」 even when talking to the teacher
>that kid in the Japanese class who never learned any kanji so he only uses hiragana
>those girls in the Japanese class who added a verbal tic to every sentence they say
>those girls in the Japanese class who wore cosplay to class
Anyone else have experiences like this?
>>
>>80242733
Didn't mean to post that pic
>>
>>80242629
1.5 years still sounds expedient as fuck. I've been at it for 181 days (according to Anki), with maybe six months worth of reading scattered out over the course of a couple of years before deciding to focus and study daily. To be honest, taking even N2 within the next 12 months sounds too far-fetched.
Based on your experience from the exam, at least the reading/grammar elements, what sort of content would you say is around a similar level of what was assessed in your N1 exam? Newspapers, novels?

Another anon passing N1 is cool. You're the third or fourth anon I've seen post N1 passing results on djt.
>>
>>80242733
A chilean guy was always trying to add some weird american accent to the words.
>>
>>80242776
I didn't really believe I could pass N1 at 6 months either. At 6 months I hadn't even begun reading, I was still grinding out vocab to give myself a headstart when I did begin reading. Honestly I can't give better advice than read visual novels since they're basically the perfect study material with mostly reading but also listening comprehension. Once you've finished 5-10 non-Hanahira ones you will be at or around N1 level.

Admittedly the reading on the exam is significantly more challenging than your typical VN fare. But you can totally get an idea of what to expect. The JLPT people put out an official practice test, the practice tests in Shin Kanzen Master are all pretty representative of what the actual test is like, and there are tons of other third party ones you can buy on amazon.jp. I actually bought one but didn't get around to doing it before the test.

Basically what is being tested as far as reading goes is articles, usually with some social or political commentary. If the ones in the practice tests aren't enough, articles from Asahi's Tensei Jingo (http://www.asahi.com/news/tenseijingo.html) are another good idea of what to expect. You can read 1 a day for free or access them all with the monthly subscription. I am surprised no one has bought a subscription and downloaded the entire catalog to upload on the CoR yet, guess there's not much interest.

But while reading a few of these to get an idea of what to expect is a good idea, I would advise not to go ham on reading tons of them unless you actually are interested in the subject matter. Otherwise you'll just bore yourself for little actual benefit. The best thing to do is read/watch stuff you are interested in, and lots of it. My only addendum to that would be that if you are a huge manga fan, manga is totally fine, but try to read some LNs or VNs or actual novels as well since if you get used to 100% dialogue you won't get good at reading lengthy, descriptive sentences.
>>
>>80243234
Would you mind providing a list of your top 5 or 10 VNs? My problem is that I never know which ones to read.
>>
>>80243234
Thanks for the insight, 先輩。
>>
>>80243477
Any time!

>>80243343
Here is my entire VNDB list from highest to lowest score: https://vndb.org/u110389/list?c=all;v=0;t=2;o=d;s=vote It's pretty short, so I can't even do a top 10. Instead I will just give a little bit of info about how I felt about each one. The number indicates what order I read them in. A beginner could pick any of these unless I note otherwise.

>#8: Subahibi
Incredibly mixed feelings. I don't think it's a 10/10 masterpiece like most people but it certainly is unlike anything else you'll find in the medium. While I felt it was brought down by some very low lows, at its best it is really great. Note that it would be inane to read this as your first or second VN, it's complicated enough when you understand all the language.

>#5: Tsuriotsu
The biggest flaw in Tsuriotsu is that Luna is too cool so you won't want to bother with any of the other girls. Fun read - note the prologue is way harder than everything else in the VN, get past that and you'll be good. Still noticeably more difficult than most of the others on this list though. Probably a little too hard for your first VN.

>#3: Harukuru
If you don't know anything about this going in, all the better, stay unspoiled. I believe it's worth the read, but be warned there is a massive 15-odd H-scene wall in the beginning section of the game. Get past that and you will probably have fun. There is some more difficult language late game but it's not unbearably hard by any means.

---power gap---

>#1: Hanahira
An actually underrated VN. The perennial DJT recommendation, but it is not nearly as shit as everyone says. Excellent starter VN, very plain (generic) light yuri story that makes it very palatable for beginners.

>#7: Evenicle
First third or so is great fun, starts getting a bit repetitive for my taste the rest of the game. Very nice soundtrack. The ero sucks. Try this out, if you get bored then go ahead and stop, you won't be missing out on Shakespeare.

(cont.d)
>>
>>80243477
>>80244539

>#6: Himawari
Going by VNDB scores I am certainly in the minority thinking Himawari is pretty mediocre. I rated it 3/10 when I first finished it but bumped it up later because I felt that was a bit harsh, because it's not awful. The Aqua route has some cool stuff - but the rest feels like filler, and it's about 4x too long. But like I said most people think it's great so maybe you should try it. If you do, you should probably play the doujin version with the voice path rather than the remake. Better music, better system, in my opinion better art. Only downside would be no protagonist voice and not-so-great ero scenes.

>#4: Root Double
Root A (the first route, about 25% of the VN) is awesome. A rollercoaster ride of fun through the closed facility scenario. Actually great. Then Root B (next 25%) starts and it's still all right but not as good. Then Root D hits (last 50%) and the pacing dies and it gets sucky. Soured my whole experience, but there are far more issues beyond just the ending. I'd advise you try it out just for Root A but then you might get hooked and play the whole thing and I don't know if that's worth it.

>#2: Nanatsuiro Drops
This just wasn't my thing. If you like bubbly vanilla mahou shoujo then this is your jam, it wasn't mine though. I got really bored and only finished it since I thought it would end at the 7th chapter (and then it went on to chapter 13).

Lastly, I also would recommend Fate and Phoenix Wright that I read years ago in English. But Fate is probably too long and full of magic jargon and Phoenix Wright, being a DS game, can't easily be texthooked. Pick your poison. Sorry I don't have a big list of solid beginner recs.
>>
I study Japanese for fun and one of the hardest things about studying JRPGs is how annoying it is looking up the kanji over and over

Is there any way to get the text files from emulators and just read them from there?

Lets say like dragon quest 4 on snes...obv that is a long game with lots of text.

Is there any way to extract the text onto a notepad or a website so it can be read from there?

Also what are some good jrpg soundtracks if you boys are into that.
>>
>>80244998

Hook Any Text will be your best bet, if that doesn't work nothing will. But it is a pain in the ass. It would be easiest to just learn from other stuff until you don't have to do lookups very often when you play JRPGs.
>>
>>80244539
>>80244554
and they wonder why people pirate their games
>>
Hello friends, guy who's doubtful on his ability to learn any language (including japanese) here. just wanted to ask a couple questions. These will be generally more for native English speakers who were EOPs and learned japanese or whatever, but anyone can feel free to answer if they'd like.
How long have you studied Japanese (in hours and in terms of years)? And if so how fluent are you?
Also how "fast" can you recognize and recall japanese characters?
The problem I'm having right now is that I can't seem to really recall what the characters look in my head when I imagine something like 'ka' or 'se' or whatever. Will this straighten out the more I expose myself? I've always told myself I had a shit memory (which probably makes it more shitty the more I say that) so I'm kinda on the fence if I'm genuinely retarded/not able to memorize things.
>>
>>80245445

Recall and recognition are two different types of skills. Furthermore, imagining something in your head and producing it by other means are also different. For instance, there are some kanji that I can't really imagine in my head but if I start to write them my hands do the rest. Sometimes to imagine a kanji in my head I have to visualize a sort of virtual stroke ordering of the kanji... like I build it step by step in my mind.

My advice for anyone having trouble remembering shit is to change your strategy. I've found that to memorize kanji I need to hand write them. I couldn't remember shit before I started handwriting, and even though it takes a little bit longer my retention rate is now consistently above 95% even while doing upwards of 20 new words (mined) a day.

How long have you been at it? tbqh your concerns seem like uber beginner anxieties. Just take it ez.
>>
>>80245707
I looked at hiragana and katakana a couple years ago but I've mostly forgotten them since then. I've only begun doing hiragana again a couple days ago for like 30 minutes but I stopped again because I lack discipline and confidence.
>>
>>80246251

Have you ever properly studied in your life? I had literally never studied in my entire life before starting Japanese. Just study hiragana for 15-30 minutes every day for the 7 days, you'll probably be able to memorize the entire set. It's a pretty cool feeling, bro.
>>
File: hamstercoin.gif (2.57 MB, 400x228)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB GIF
>>80239607
Motivation is useless for long-term projects. You need discipline.

Motivation is what you use to teach hamsters tricks - "oh look I get a treat if I do it!". It's a short-term relation between action and reward. If there's a substantial time between action and reward, then the hamster part of your brain fizzles out on it ("huh, no treat? Ok, whatever. Let's go do something else that does get me treats!"). Motivation won't get you anywhere that's farther than your hamster brain's attention span. Learning a language takes a long time, just like learning how to play the violin, or learning how to paint. For that, you need discipline: a routine that steadily lets you advance, without being so hard as to require motivation to do it.
>>
>不良 1. bad; poor; inferior
lol - it is litterally ungood
>>
Japanese is certainly a long time commitment and should never be rushed or you will see your self fizzle out. I burned out multiple times and now I'm in my longest stretch of continuous learning. Two months lol. It's funny but I never practiced or studied anything routinely like this and I'm taking it all the way to my N2 test in December. Wish me luck boys.
>>
>>80246407
Haha nope. I've never actually studied in my entirely life, which is why this is so hard and frustrating for me. I'll keep it at it tho, thanks.
>>
>>80244554
>>80244539
Thank you for the list and the link to your vndb anon. These are greatly appreciated. I wish vn's wouldn't burn me out so quickly. I can get through about 50 text boxes but then my head starts to hurt and I have to stop for the day.
>>
File: hmm.png (10 KB, 538x84)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>
>>80246751
It can also mean deliquent for some reason.
>>
四六時中
>>
File: 1506031755133.jpg (17 KB, 320x320)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>80239607
>dropped your reps
It`s ogre. Pull the trigger already, less painful than getting back.
>>
File: moru.gif (108 KB, 180x180)
108 KB
108 KB GIF
So who is the most successful person in your country engaged in business related to Japan, je?
Who do you wanna be like je?
>>
おはよう
>>
File: sui1.jpg (64 KB, 695x546)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>80256871
まりしゃはこれからおやすみなのじぇええええ!
おめめがさめるようなごあいさつはしちゃだめなのじぇええええ!!
>>
>>80246879
がんばって!!

>>80251202
A delinquent is a bad person, so it's easy to see how that happened.

>>80256871
今晩は
>>
File: maki-nishikino--2.11.jpg (18 KB, 210x240)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>tfw can now do 30 words a day since you know most of the kanji by now and can guess by context

Dont give up boys..well actually go learn a real marketable hobby...i still f-ing suck after almost 4 years but whatever. I took some breaks because life but still theres better hobbies out there.

God tier way of studying Japanese is using anki and learning the basics so when you enjoy your choice of media something you would do anyway you're learning.

Just my opinion tho but im a dumb brainlet girl lmao
>>
>>80236682
>1.5 years
confirmed autism
>>
>>80258717
>girl
So now you are a tranny?
>>
>>80260512
Im trying. Im ugly tho im late transitioni uwu
>>
>>80258717
>trip
>memespeak
>illiterate in his native language
>4 years and still doing Anki
>4 years and still hasn't learned Japanese
And that's why you give these people (You)s. They might not have too much else going on for them.
>>
>>80260811
Don't forget to livestream your suicide
>>
>>80261052
Ding dong diddly cringe.
Always so mean finny~
>>
File: 1462399704947.jpg (23 KB, 380x326)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
先受験した物理学試験に絶対に滑った、せいぜい65%だった

死にたい
>>
I'm just starting to learn a bit of kanji. Is there a good way to learn it without overrelying on furigana for pronunciation? It feels like cheating
>>
>>80264556
Are you using Anki?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1360x768)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>80264556
Mnemonics, son. And tons of reps. Until you're so fucking sick of them that your mind tells you the meaning before you have to think about it.
>>
>>80265091
No, I'm studying Tae Kim for now
>>
>>80242757
It seems to fit
>>
File: 1485917520337.jpg (10 KB, 186x356)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
悲しいぺぺバンプ
>>
>>80268060
>ぺぺ
>>
>>80265621
No reason for you to worry about kanji then. Tae Kim is just for learning basic grammar. You'll get plenty of exposure to kanji without furigana from Anki and reading.
>>
>>80268118
うん、そのチャラは「ぺぺ」と言います
>>
>>80268947
「キャラ」ね
>>
When か行、さ行、etc. are used to denote the set of items that start with a certain sound in a list or what have you, how would you pronounce "か行"?
>>
>don't learn Japanese by translating, learn by patterns
i keep seeing this when i google questions about japanese but what the fuck does this even mean? i haven't learned shit from watching anime
>>
>>80244539
If you're still here, how many kanji do you think you knew when you passed N1?
>>
Why can't remember a fucking thing?
>>
How many new words a day do you guys do on Anki?
>>
File: kanji 2017-10-05.png (387 KB, 789x4757)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>80245364
Sail the high seas without shame, anon.

>>80247694
For sure. I couldn't handle large amounts in the beginning either, it gets easier. For that reason I would recommend Hanahira, it is very short as far as VNs go and has fairly simple language that should be easier on your brain.

>>80272759
Due to my new school semester starting shortly after the N1 I have done hardly any Japanese since. So basically the same as pic related, minus like 20 kanji maybe. But I am a kanji fiend, 3200 is way overkill for N1. You will be fine knowing just the jouyou as any non-jouyou kanji on the exam are going to have furigana.
>>
>>80273053
I've been reading visual novels but I'm at about 2600 kanji right now and still missing 80 jouyou. It's getting harder to find new kanji recently.
Maybe I'll try the N1 next summer.
>>
>>80273172
Don't worry about the "hard jouyou", as long as you know what I'd call the "jouyou jouyou" (常用常用), you will be fine. A few of the jouyou are just in the jouyou list because they're in the Japanese constitution and are rarely actually ever used. If you are at 2600 kanji then you are absolutely fine for the N1 kanji-wise. The bigger things to worry about would be grammar, reading, and listening.
>>
>「その日、今年も私、仕事が入ってるんだ…」
>「…TVじゃなくて、ライブ…」
>「へえ…。すごいじゃない、クリスマスイヴにライブなんて。よっぽど人気がないとそんな日にできないよ」
I'm a little confused on what 日にできない means here, besides maybe saying "There won't be a day when you won't be popular." Is that the right interpretation?
>>
>>80271955
か ぎょう
>>
>>80273590
よっぽど人気がないと
Unless you're really popular (lit. if you're not really popular)
その日にできない
you wouldn't be able to get a gig on that day (lit. you can't do it on that day)

Pretty much, if you get a gig on Christmas Eve, it means you're a pretty big deal.
>>
>>80273758
Thanks, that didn't even cross my mind. I also had another question from a line earlier:
>「何かあるんだったら今のうちだよ」「もう、冬弥君」口調から俺がその日をキープしているのを感じ取ったらしく
I'm translating it as "From her tone of voice, I felt like she kept that day open." But what is the らしく doing here? Is it just adding another layer of uncertainty?
>>
>>80273035

30 for me, senpai. Takes ~2 hours per day to do the whole catch-up on the old words plus the new words.
>>
>>80273890
>From her tone of voice, I felt like she kept that day open.
I think you have the characters backwards.
It seemed like (here's the らしく part) she gathered from my tone of voice that I'd kept that day open.
>>
I do my reps on the city bus with my ubuntu and no internet.

Meaning that I cannot look up the kanji that I do not know amd make connections...is there anyway to make libreoffice or notepad be able to accept Japanese characters so when I get home I can study/look them up?

I just started dabbling in linux and phones are garbage.
>>
>>80274196
That makes more sense looking at it, I was twisting what らしい could mean to fit context better here. But the 今のうちだ makes sense with your interpretation, thanks.
>>
>>80274445
>is there anyway to make libreoffice or notepad be able to accept Japanese characters so when I get home I can study/look them up?

Yes.
>>
ペニス
>>
I can't fucking learn kanji, how do you do it
>>
>>80275067
Anki and mnemonics.
>>
>>80274947

Thank you.
>>
>>80275089
I can never remember the mnemonics. How the fuck did I learn English as a child?
>>
>>80235251
N1 anon, how did you manage to remember kanji? I've tried pretty much every method (writing, RTK, rote memorization) and I am struggling so much. I want to learn Japanese so badly but I just don't see how it's going to be possible for me.
>>
>>80275284
You can't learn to recognize them, or can't learn to write them?
>>
>>80275348
Recognition, I don't care about writing
>>
i'll never get close to getting out of beginner level
>>
man who supposedly can't remember kanji, how long have you been at it an how many do you know?
>>
>>80275788
I've gone through a couple hundred cards but consistently forget them after a couple of days. Basically, I can learn them for the reviews and then once I supposedly "know" them I forget them.
>>
>use anki
>there are a lot of words i don't know aside from just the bolded/introduced words
Am I starting too early?
>>
>>80276012
>Am I starting too early?
No such thing. The sentences in core are largely irrelevant anyway.
>>
>>80275954
Maybe you need to adjust the Anki intervals to something that suits your memory. See the Anki manual.
>>
>>80276082
I've also considered just toughing my way through some books and hoping that encountering words in context will help.
>>
>memorizing meaning of kanji is relatively easy because of how distinct they look
>can't remember the fucking pronounciation
what do? should i have staring contest with them and repeatedly pronounce them out loud?
>>
>男 and 女 are jlpt n5 words
What the fuck?
>>
>>80276402
sup brainlet
>>
>>80276402
nevermind, i had it backwards
>>
>>80276402
Your point being?
>>
>>80276161
why aren't you reading already?
>>
>>80276162
I started writing them down and that helped a lot. Try that. And speak them when you do. And remember them.>>80276541
>>
File: Untitled.png (2.44 MB, 1920x1080)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB PNG
I don't get this bit. The voice is bleeped out where the circles are, what's he supposed to be saying?
>>
File: zzz.png (9 KB, 571x82)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>
>>80277975
Seems fake
>>
>>80277529
Hi Grant.
>>
File: zzz.png (55 KB, 800x284)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>
>>80278146
Hi friend, got an answer for my question?
>>
>>80278167
Sorry friend, not advanced enough to know.
>>
>>80277529
Censorship. This can be useful in the future: http://fuseji.net. Use your own intuition on what it's censored as anyways, you have the context for it.
>>
>>80276162
Either don't bother learning the reading and just read or use the wanikani deck.
>>
>>80276162
Memorizing individual kanji readings devoid of the context of actual vocabulary is a waste of time. If you want to study kanji, ignore kanji readings and just learn them through vocabulary.
>>
>>80276162
You need to learn the reading of each kanji. I think there is no other way around it. At least learn the most common 音読み and 訓読み for each kanji and you will be able to read most new words.
>>
Seeing how the most recent version of Firefox/Waterfox broke Rikai for me, I decided to try setting up Yomichan and make new card styling for it. Any suggested improvements, or does it seem fine?

Also decided to make the switch to using mostly J-J for new words but still importing both J-J and J-E. Any recommended J-J dictionaries besides Daijirin that have similarly sized dictionary entries (i.e. not filling the entire screen with paragraph long definitions and multiple example sentences)? Or is Daijirin good enough for most cases?
>>
>>80280455
Holy shit, that's beautiful. Could you please share the CSS, anon?
>>
>>80280455
Huh, I just came across that word (well, really 六新眷属) for the first time yesterday.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSrULDVRPc
乱れ打ち
>>
>>80280547
I appreciate the compliment, anon. The code is probably pretty messy because I kinda just slapped it together googling bits of code / looking at w3schools, and some of it is very tailored (namely the VN and VN name bit) because I didn't know how else to do it and it works well enough for what I wanted it to do / is made for personal use anyways.

Here you go though, if you want to fiddle with it: https://pastebin.com/skMFwkYN
(fixed an error I noticed so I reposted with the new link)

Some parts of the card are commented out but are still there, like "stroke order" if you want that sort of thing on your cards and have the font.
>>
>>80282289
Thank you.
>>
File: yus-2.png (89 KB, 296x292)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>80268060
なんっみぐるしいくそがえるなのじぇえええ!
なんでこんなくっそきもいやつがちーやほーやされてるのじぇえええ!
こんなやつはとっととたたきだしてまりさをこくさいばんさんのますこっとさんっ!にするのじぇえええ!
>>
File: 1503648777544.gif (2.99 MB, 252x263)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB GIF
>>80257043
>>80283109
>>
>>80273035
200. I got the JLPT creeping on my ass so I put it into overdrive.
>>
File: ys6.jpg (31 KB, 400x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>80283676
べづにおばえのだめにぽすとしてるんじゃないのぜええ!!
ばりざはいづかこのいたのまずごっとさんっになってやるのじぇええ!!
ごれはまたーおぶでぃたーみねーしょんあんどぱーせべらんすのおはなしっなのぜええええ!!
>>
>>80273035
25~50 normally but 200 at the moment, for the next week or two before going back to normal.
>>
>>80273053
Is it ok if i can't recognize them individually but recognizing them when they're connected with another kanji or kana?
>>
>>80284384
You will learn to as you read more.
>>
>>80277975
>>
>>80286316
Willing reading more help with kanji retention? I'm tired of drilling anki and seeing poor results.
>>
>>80288986

For me, reading is pivotal for kanji retention. The context in which you read the kanji becomes a sort of mnemonic itself. This is particularly powerful when the material from which you derive the context is something you actually like.

I only went to ~1300 cards in core2k/6k because I found that mining and having that context fresh in my mind was much more effective than having random words thrown at me.
>>
File: moru2.gif (156 KB, 360x180)
156 KB
156 KB GIF
比較的でかいやつが来たのじぇ
>>
>>80283863
>>80283966

You guys are joking, right?
>>
File: file.png (119 KB, 480x360)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>80275284

I used a combination of the RTK index and my own mnemonics knitted into my own vocabulary mining program via anki. Note that I did this after doing 3k cards of Core6k then dropping it, so I did have a base to work off of. Basically how it worked was:

1. Go to the kanji on Koohii (I don't believe it will let you access it unless you have an account, it's well worth it though.) I'll start with #816 (葬) just as an example since I still remember my mnemonics for this one very clearly: https://kanji.koohii.com/study/kanji/%E8%91%AC

2. Find a "story" in the comments that I like. In this case the top one, darg_sama's is fine as far as I'm concerned" "I imagine an interment as a funeral. At this funeral it's an open casket, and the dead body (death) is holding flowers with both of its hands." Makes sense.

3. Copy that kanji and search "*葬*" (without quotes, with asterisks) on jisho.

4. Make at least one vocab card via rikaisama for what I determine to be relevant kunyomi and onyomi readings. For 葬 the obvious two would be the top results 葬式 and 葬る. So just hover and press R. Note: if you are still at the stage where you are using English-Japanese dictionaries I would HIGHLY recommend Kenkyusha v5 over EDICT.

5. Go onto the next kanji in the Koohii index (in this case #817, 瞬), and repeat the process until I have my load for the day.

6. When I go back to review the vocab cards I mined earlier, first I try memorizing them just by brute force once or twice. So I would just try to memorize the meanings of the words, that 葬式 = (そう)しき, (sou)shiki and that 葬る = (ほうむ)る, houmu(ru).

7. If that didn't work, work in a pronunciation mnemonic for the kun and onyomi knitted into the RTK story. For example: "Houmuru Simpson's unhealthy lifestyle has finally killed him, so his family lays him down into his grave. Sou sad."

8. Repeat for every RTK kanji.

There you have it, I did this for a long while. (https://boards.fireden.net/a/thread/141389673/#141398176)
>>
>>80290052
No.
>>
>>80290173
Why did you drop Core6k?
>>
>>80290052
If you spend more than a third of your time studying on Anki, you're already fucking up. It's just a supplementary resource to reinforce what you already remembered from reading.
200 new cards is a meme unless you're a NEET and spend the appropriate time reading as well. But I doubt it, they're probably just ankidrones and learning nothing anyways.
>>
>>80290173
What did you do when you were a beginner at reading and then you hit sentences that you couldn't make sense of despite looking up all the unknown words?

It happens to me pretty often as a beginner, I find a sentence that just doesn't make sense. I look up every single unknown word and it continues to not make sense. After a while of hitting my head against the same sentence and trying to look at it in 100 different ways and do any kind of mental gymnastics I can think of, I realize I'm just frustrated and spent all my energy on that one sentence and then I'm just fucking fed up with Japanese for the day.

Did you have someone to ask question or did you simply move on?
>>
>>80290052
No I'm dead ass. I'm not a neet either. I got a full time job.
>>
>>80277529
Probably 幼女, bleeped because it's a porn game.
>>
Is よろしくね ever appropriate for a male or just something teenage girls say?
>>
File: gay.jpg (62 KB, 400x558)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>80295361
Men could use it but under some limited circumstance.
In short, You shall look gay.

Or, simply change it to よろしく"な"
>>
>>80291320
Skip it after a minute, or ask here if you feel like it. Eventually you'll come across another sentence using the same pattern as the one that stumped you, but it will make sense from context. Repeat until that pattern is fully internalized and you will be able to understand it without depending on context. To get that kind of exposure you need to read a large volume of text instead of killing yourself all day over a few sentences.
>>
>>80275215
Mostly by rewards ("saying 'candy' gets me this sweet thing!") and by having very, very patient adults talking to you and correcting you when you make a mistake ("no, anon, it's 'candy', not 'andy'".

That's why they say "children are much better at learning a language" - it's true, but in no small part because they have near 24/7 immersion and around-the-clock teachers.
>>
>>80235251
What's your production like? If it's decent, do you feel starting production is better before or after N1?

I'm at around N2 and I wanted to start doing a bit of lang8 or something before attempting to speak or get an active language partner, but signups are not available. There's HiNative and HelloTalk, but I hear those aren't as good and I'd rather not deal with mobile for HelloTalk.
>>
>>80278336
>>80294292
Is that literally censorship? Like, was that likely imposed upon the author by the Japanese government? Or do the authors of these things do it for comedic effect? It seems silly to me that the name of a porn game should need to be censored within another 18+ game.
>>
My friend got hired by what people on the internet have described as a "black company". What is he in for?
>>
>>80298020
when scientists say kids are geniuses at learning languages theyre not talking about vocabulary acquisition, theyre far behind adults there
what makes them geniuses is the fact that theyre learning a language from ground up, without knowing a different one to base that what theyre learning on
think about how you'd teach a word like "time" to someone who's vocabulary spans like 20 words
>>
>>80298557
well I guess that depends on whether your friend is japanese or not
>>
>>80298941
He's Indian. He got hired by Rakuten, which claims to be "progressive" but seniors hired from my college have said that the work culture isn't very good. Didn't give many details tho.
>>
how many of you actually visited DJT when it was on /a/
2bh I didn't go there even when I was still regularly browsing /a/ because whenever I took a look it was nothing but shit posting or some really really low level shit (dostedt)
>>
>>80298597
Children know more grammar than any current linguist could ever hope to describe, despite any apparent mistakes they make.
>>
>>80299169
it wasn't really that much shitposting when i was on there 2 years ago; i just remember wanikani shills and people on ritalin doing 1000 new kanji reviews on anki a day. this board is much more chill and a lot slower.
>>
>>80300088
>people on ritalin doing 1000 new kanji reviews on anki a day.
Fucking life goals right there lmao
>>
>>80298391
I meant that it's censored because it's describing a character in an adult game as a little girl. It's self-regulation, not governmental. Even non-doujin lolige censor words like 小学生.
>>
>>80299169
/a/ was, is, and always will be, pure shit
>>
File: 20171006_122733[1].jpg (275 KB, 964x1288)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
So today I snuck into my uni's japanese 101 course to try it out and holy hell its at a different level altogether
>teacher was a gaijin
>knew a decent bit of the grammar already, so nothing new came up other than この and あの (I'm still a beginner, just around 50 pgs in tae kim, around 170 words in anki)
>EVERYTHING WAS IN HIRAGANA
>I didn't know there was a vocabulary quiz but I tried anyway
>watashi everywhere
I'm glad I'm learning by myself, going to class for this stuff sounds tedious and I would've dropped the class
Pic related was the syllabus
>>
>>80304538
This shit should be fucking illegal.
>>
>>80304538
>two and a half weeks to learn hiragana
Jesus christ.

To be fair though, the quality of Japanese instruction you get in a classroom environment varies wildly. Some of the better quality classes are still going to be at a slower pace than what you'd get self-learning but do provide value in access to a professional teacher who can help clear up things you're confused about, and giving you easy opportunities to practice speaking the language.
>>
>>80304538
At least go to the geisha performance.
>>
>>80304754
I wish I could, the teacher seemed really offended I was sitting in since its not normal to sit in a class you're not part of
Its RSVP so I doubt she'd let me go if I even asked
>>
>>80304743
There was a ton of speech practice, so even if the students cant read properly they definitely will be better at speaking than my self-taught ass
>>
>>80304915
The amount of focus normalfags place of speaking is rather obnoxious and really illustrates the priorities of people. They don't want to understand, they care more about being heard. 有象無象。
>>
File: lLUUyuaE.jpg (24 KB, 327x327)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>80308464
>>
>>80308635
Yes, it is rather edgy to care more about speaking than learning to read and listen in order to have a deeper comprehension of what natives are actually expressing. The former is purely ego driven whereas the latter involves empathy and a willingness to put aside ego.

You autistic fuck.
>>
>>80309226
If your reaction when hearing that someone does a lot of spech practice is "fuckin normalfags, they don't want to understand, they just want to be heard" then I think I'm justified in calling you edgy.
>>
File: card layout.png (162 KB, 1391x1153)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>80280455
>>80280547
>>80282289
Figured out a much more consistent and user-friendly solution to the tag problem. Just have to make a tag starting with #Media# for the left tag and another starting with #Source# for the right tag. Can use for spaces if you don't want underlines. Also did some cleaning up and additions/changes here and there. Should be mostly done now, but I'll upload it on an account so I can keep the same URL if I need to do changes/fixes again.

Corrected Yomichan Anki card layout pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/X4931ZVh
>>
File: 1481205338807.jpg (74 KB, 536x473)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>80299169
>>80300088
>>80303504
I'll have to agree the quality has improved, despite our diminished audience.

I've been in 4chan since le 2007 epic times and I saw /a/ go full Tumblr over the course of years. It was only after a huge hiatus from that decrepit board that I serendipitously happened upon DJT and decided to give it a go. It was one hell of a hidden gem, but it was clearly hiding in poop that you had to constantly wipe off if you wanted to absorb anything.
Meanwhile I had been browsing /int/ every now and then more often than /a/, so in a way I'm more at home here.

The only downside really is the low influx of people makes for less OC. But we have such a nice guide assembled already, I don't really think there is too much more to be done - it's a matter of sticking to it.
We're living a pretty nice DJT era, where all the bullshit has been cut, but the fad hasn't died away yet. In the future, if the quorum goes below a "replacement rate", DJT will stop being a General and just become a link to the guide people will throw here and there when Japanese discussions pop up anywhere in 4chan.
The knowledge is fossilized there for anyone wanting to learn, but something about this whole "live" place where you can come and shitpost makes the endeavor a little less distant, the impersonality of a set-in-stone guide will definitely result in more dropouts along the line.

For now, I just worry about paying back to the community. And there's always /jp/, where dead generals can always extend their lifespan.

I digress, but long story short, I don't miss /a/ at all.
>>
>俺を束縛する相手の心配をするなんて、お人好しもいいところって気がしたけど。
I understand ~もいいところ can be used ironically, but in this case it's just saying a genuinely good person?
>>
>>80310993
No. It's like "even for a softie that's too far". もいいところ = にも程がある
>>
>>80311545
Thanks. From the google results for お人好しもいいところ it was mostly used in a positive, slightly sardonic sense, but I didn't know the correct English translation for it. It can also be something like "Nice to the extent that it's harmful for them", or someone that is self-sacrificial , right?
>>
>>80311642
Yes, nice to the extent that it's ridiculous or unbelievable. Not really a compliment, like お人好し itself.
>>
>>80234068
I think so
https://youtu.be/Vpg2RdjNuWQ
>>
Does 見栄はんなよな mean the same thing as 見栄はんなよ (i.e. both are orders)?

Or does the な at the end change the sentence function?
>>
Why doesn't everyone just order textbooks meant for little kids? That would be a great start to learn Japanese.
>>
>>80312342
It's no longer a command but asking for a shared confirmation, like "isn't it?" or "right?"

>>80312419
Like it or not, a four-year-old Japanese child would have quite the leg up on a thirty-year-old beginning learner of Japanese. Think of a four-year-old American child. He already has a fairly expansive vocabulary and grasp of simpler grammar structures just from constant exposure. Foreign language learners are literally starting from 0.
>>
>>80309226
Not him but you're the austistic one for spazzing out about people SPEAKING a lot in a fuckin LANGUAGE class.
>>
>>80314641
There is no reason why a language lesson should be based on output. That was the entire point. That is the primary reason why language classes don't work.
Autistic is the least accurate term to describe my attitude, obnoxious fucking normalfag.
>>
>>80315504
You should be studying and getting input outside of class, and then using the class for output. The reason language classes "don't work" is the same reason any other class "doesn't work": lazy people are unwilling to put in the out-of-class effort required.
>>
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0J06SYucJ23
>>
File: 1491161969108.jpg (19 KB, 448x336)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>80315504
Not everyone has an overly analytical approach to learning, I'm sure that even if the speaking-from-day-one method's benefits are smaller than a streamlined program, statistically it will resonate with more people and have a higher net worth of actual learning taking place in class, just from the engagement boost of it.

And that's why anyone serious about learning should avoid large learning groups, they will always aim for the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>80290640
I wrote a post on this a while back: https://boards.fireden.net/a/thread/143214636/#143217113

But it seems fireden failed to archive the CJK characters correctly so here it is formatted correctly: https://pastebin.com/SCRZmD7h

>>80291320
Basically what >>80297894 said. As a perfectionist it feels pretty awful to just give up on a sentence, but that's what you have to do. I didn't have anyone I knew to ask questions to; I have posted a few questions in DJT before but you can't rely on that for everything you don't understand. You might get wrong answers anyway. The best option is just keep reading and let massive exposure fill any cracks in the pavement.

>>80298285
Unfortunately I don't really have anything to base my production level on. It's been a year since I had an actual conversation with a Japanese person and all my textual interaction with natives is just posting youtube comments or questions on chiebukuro. I seem to be able to get the point across but my grammar is probably screwed up. Here is a question I posted if you want a sample of Japanese I've produced: https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13178424453

I ran into the same lang8 problem, I probably would have begun production myself by now if signups were up. But to answer your main question, I'd say just go ahead and wait. One of the biggest misconceptions of language learning is that pushing production early is a good idea - it's not, you'll just establish bad habits. You want to be doing production late after you already know what you're supposed to be doing (and have natives there to correct you).

Take this with a grain of salt, I guess, because I don't claim to be an expert at Japanese, just decent. But the input hypothesis has not failed me yet, nor have I seen any examples of it doing so for anyone else.
>>
>>80317099
That's strange, actually, it doesn't display properly on the fireden page but on my 4chan X hover link to fireden it is fine. Not sure what's going on here but whatever.
>>
File: zzz.jpg (18 KB, 310x99)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>
>>80304538
>5 lessons until は
What the shit? Hiragana shouldn't take up any time at all, that's something where you go "learn these symbols till next week" and move on with the lesson
>>
>>80318309
Are you pressing again right away when you don't immediately recognize a word? Don't do that
Take a second to actually think about the word before pressing again and looking at the answer. You can still press again even if you ended up remembering it in the end, if instant recognition is your jam
Or at least that's what I'm guessing is going on here, going by your cards/minute

Also, 80% on mature cards is trash
>>
>>80320166
自閉症児
>>
>>80239607
god will present you a qt big boob japanese grill when u achieved
>>
>>80321066
すげぇ、日本語でしゃべった!それなら話は早い
アンキはですね、ゆっくりにしないとなんの長期効果もない
そのヘタクソ「マチュア正解率」が証拠だよ。だから、これからお前が何かのカードを思いだせない場合はもうちょっと考えてみよう
>>
>>80321543
自閉症児
>>
File: file (14).png (42 KB, 192x181)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>80321673
>>
What stuffs are you Japanese learning anons reading as your learning material?
Asking just for curiosity.
>>
>>80322168
Right now 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 and 愚者ノ教鞭.
>>
>>80322168
I'm currently working my way through 人間失格.
>>
>>80322168
Syosetu, eroge, futaba, Dazai and Murakami
>>
Thanks anons, but personally 人間失格 is dull one among dazai’s works. I rather prefer 御伽草子 as maybe one of his masterpieces.
>>
>>80322168
よつばと!
>>
>>80322168
Reading this web novel called 薬屋のひとりごと.

Recently tried getting some light novels I was interested at but I could only find them with the pages in png and I'm a complete beginner at the moment. I need to be able to use rikaisama plus the anki import thing to mine otherwise I'll be spending a lot of extra time every page looking up words and manually adding cards I want to mine. Not to say it can't be done but compared to reading a novel I can use rikaisama on, the reading/time ratio is just much worse.

Looking forward to getting better so I don't need this shit anymore.
>>
>>80322792
Did you try the djt library? http://djt.netlify.com/
>>
>>80322952
Yeah one of the very first places I tried. I was looking for ゴブリンスレイヤー, オーバーロード and 幼女戦記. It was easy enough to find them around but it was all in png/jpeg no matter from how many different sources I downloaded.

I just accepted I'll have to leave those novels for when I'm better. Maybe when I get to that point I'll just go ahead and buy physical which is something I always wanted to do.
>>
>>80323229
An anon shared Goblin Slayer recently.

https://mega.nz/#!0YoGEahL!RGoQt5ZhutBKxiaJHJA3nOFqRF0mCSrnsTj1rVJXHwg
>>
>>80323437
That's literally perfect, thanks a lot to you both.

Just out of curiosity, did the original anon put the link up somewhere or did you simply have it saved on your computer? Cuz I was looking everywhere for something like this.
>>
>>80323834
An anon on /jp/ bought it from Rakuten and shared the epub there.
>>
色即是空、空即是色
>>
>>80321066
>>80321673
さすが暗記座食の徒だな
>>
>>80322168
I'm reading サクラノ詩 (the VN, not the manga)
>>
File: warau.png (12 KB, 218x113)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Easiest mnemonic since 一、二、三.
>>
>>80312725
>It's no longer a command but asking for a shared confirmation, like "isn't it?" or "right?"
How does that work in the sentence? You mean it means "You're not going to 見栄はる, right?" ?
>>
>>80330120
It sounds like still commands for me.
but soften nuance
>>”don’t 見栄はる, right”
or
>>”do not 見栄は, you know you are always getting into trouble because of your 見栄はる”
I’m not so familiar with the grammar of our own language though.
>>
>>80330812
I dropped “る” for second “見栄はる”
>>
>「それにしても、海外まで引っ張って行くんだったら、普通に日本でお休みにして欲しかったわ」
Can someone clarify what 普通に日本で here means? I'm translating the sentence as "Even so, to be dragged all the way to a foreign country, I at least wanted to take a regular break like in Japan", but that sounds a bit weird. Any ideas?
>>
>>80331174
Nothing weird. Within my English comprehension.
>>
>>80331174
>like in Japan
Sorry, this portion.
In this sentence, the speaker (presumed to be female) wants having her break IN JAPAN.
>>
Can someone recommend me an easier but still interesting light novel? I need to start reading and really don't like manga as a medium.
>>
>>80331773
>>80331898
Yeah, I re-read it a bit and understand it as "still wanting to take a break in Japan even when brought overseas."
Thanks for the help anyways.
>>
>>80332107
>even when brought overseas
So could I ask does this mean
“even when I have been brought overseas” ?
I have not seen this form of contraction before.
>>
>>80332428
Oh, it's a very liberal translation. I think it sounds nicer (personally) than if I translated it literally:
>Nevertheless, to be dragged all the way overseas, I wanted to take a regular break in Japan.
Or something like that (probably).
>>
>>80333102
If I was gonna get dragged overseas I wanted time off while I was in Japan
>>
>>80333102
>to be dragged all the way overseas
And it shall be abbreviation of
“even when I was to be dragged...”

Seems I need to learn English grammar(or practical usage) more in detail. Thanks America anon-san.
>>
>>80334022
Those have very different meanings and neither correspond to the Japanese sentence.
>>
What is the best way for an absolute beginner to start? I went to sleep last night and and decided I want to learn Japanese
>>
>>80334419
So should I regard that as
“rather than to be dragged...” ?

What I would like to clarify is what abbreviation it actually is precisely according to English grammar.

Yes “even when..” is inappropriate for this time because she (the speaker) doesn’t always want to stay in Japan when she is capable to go overseas.
Right?
>>
>>80334912
Read the OP.
>>
>>80334912
Anywhere you can start I think.
But written materials are more available than others for you and might be more effective.
What I recommend you is not to relinquish it when you come across any difficulties. Just skip it.
>>
>haven't studied in 1 year and a half
>let my problems/stress get to my head and give up

I'm weak.
出来ない indeed...
>>
>>80242629
>For reading, I basically solely read visual novels.

So, what about newspaper, faggot
>>
>>80334936
The literal translation he posted isn't fluent English. You shouldn't think too hard about it. You were right about >>80332428 though.

"Even when" would mean DESPITE going overseas, she wants a break, when in fact it's BECAUSE she's going overseas, she wants a break.
>>
>>80335268
Why you , yes I’m always puzzled, Brazilian learners don’t come up with to see any Japanese diasporas?
>>
>>80335550
Most Japanese diaspora don't speak Japanese here if they are younger than 30.

I've met several Japanese diaspora and only their grandparents spoke Japanese.

I have a friend who has been living in Japan for 8 years and he can't speak Japanese for shit, his father is Japanese and the mother Brazilian.

He said if he didn't have a GF he'd not even be able to buy food at the supermarket in Japan. It fucking angers me...
>>
>>80335787
>live in Japan
>have a gf
>still not bothered to learn the language

kick him for me, the next time you see him
>>
>>80335787
>living in Japan for 8 years and he can't speak Japanese for shit
How is that even possible? You'd surely pick up some words here and there through exposure.
>>
>>80335787
>his father is Japanese and the mother Brazilian.
What a FATHER...
Most of non-Japanese parent here tends to teach their language to their children even if their spouse is Japanese and they’re living in Japan...
So most of “half” Japanese here are likely to be endowed with privilege of being bilingual...
>>
>>80335974
>>80335864
Literally stopped talking to him when told me that, not memeing.

He works part-time as a cleaner and in stock replacement at a nearby konbini, which is supposedly managed by a friend of his GF.

His GF speaks many languages, one of which is english which he also speaks.

She's Chinese though, not Japanese. I don't know what to say other than the guy is a piece of shit and I hate his guts, yeah call me a butthurt faggot, but he has the opportunity many of us wish and he simply throws it all away, stuck in his apartment crying about how life in Japan is hard because all Japanese people do is work and how he can't befriend anyone, even though he makes no effort to learn the language.

Fucking hate people like that.
I met some muslims with the same line of thought when I lived in Germany, claiming that Germans were ''racist'' even though these fuckers had been living there for years and didn't even know how to properly pronounce greeting words.
>>
>>80335413
Seems confused me little more.

I would mull over, or pretend nothings I have as trouble.
Thanks.
>>
>>80336151
>So most of “half” Japanese here are likely to be endowed with privilege of being bilingual...

I've read that ハーフ people aren't viewed as Japanese by.... Japanese people.

How true is this statement? are they treated differently?
>>
>>80336328
Depends on circumstances, I rather to say.
But in most case, as most of them speak perfect Japanese and have secured inherent citizenship, we will regard them as Japanese. After few hours or days embarrassment of encouraging gaijin.
No claims will be submitted even if they become a candidate of political representative.

But in some cases, such as his father is yakuza and mother is gaijin hooker, yes we would hesitate to be open minded...
>>
>>80335361
I don't believe newspapers are necessarily better than visual novels for improvement. In fact, all the way up to fairly advanced levels, visual novels would be superior if only because they also have voicing that lets you get listening practice too. The only case where I believe newspapers would be "better" for efficiency in improvement over VNs would be if you already have very high listening comprehension but were lagging in comprehending more advanced textual content. And even then, doing so would only be advisable if you were legitimately interested in reading newspapers. Personally I don't read any news in English or any language so reading a newspaper would be too boring to be good language practice. That would vary from person to person though.
>>
>>80336736
>>encouraging
“encountering”
But those excessive reaction are being lessened these days as increasing number of gaijin residents here.
>>
Hello,
What do Japanese people think of Croats? I know that you like Germans but are you racist or rude towards Croatian people?
>>
>>80337521
I guarantee 99.99% of all Japanese could not even point out Croatia on a map, much less have an opinion about it.
>>
>>80329079
Cute!
But wrong, there are 人口目日火古.
>>
こんにちわみんあさん, i am currently studying the JLPT 5 in memrise but i feel that is not enough, what do you think i should do? pls no bully
>>
>>80339253
>I am currently studying the JLPT 5 in memrise
Same here friend!
>>
If I keep mis-remembering the reading for a word, but the reading is listed as an "other form" on jisho, should I just roll with the reading I keep thinking of, a more an activate attempt to remember the most common one? Also, is there a way to check which of the jisho alternate readings are actually common and which are very obscure?
>>
>>80339253
I think you should read the guide and do what it says.
>>
>>80339253
>>80339403
Same here friendos, any advice?
>>
>>80340138
Learning readings on their own isn't very useful. Just focus on the vocabulary. Once you know enough, the readings follow naturally:

米: KOME
米国: BEIkoku
白米: hakuMAI
>>
>>80340138
That's a problem I encounter often. Go to Forvo.com, type the word and see how people pronounce it. Generally jisho's first entry is the most common one, it almost always matches both Forvo's and Rikaisama's pronunciations.

But the rule of thumb I'd give you is to learn the "primary" form and only stick with an alternative if you see it written like that in books, mango, etc.
Try also looking at sample sentences with furigana, they might indicate some trends.
>>
byno
>>
How much vocabulary should I know for the JLPT5? 10k?
>>
>>80344375
You realize N5 is the lowest level right?
>>
>>80344580
Yes, that doesn't mean it should be easy
>>
>>80345109
It's easy as fuck and not something anyone with high standards should aim for.
>>
>>80345498
So how many words would I need to know generally know for the n5?
>>
>>80345505
1K should cover it.
>>
Why does the English word for service get used in sentences like the following?
皆さん、なにやら時間がないそうなので、サービスはなしでいきますよ
>>
>>80345658
It means some kind of complimentary service, like a complimentary drink at an event or something. It's a very specific concept.
>>
I can't do it. Tae Kim and Genki are too boring.
>>
>>80345991
Why don't you try something else, then?
>>
>って言っていたんですけどどーゆーいみですか?
This guy was talking on a japanese forum thing, is his tone just casual as hell or something? I'm having a hard time reading it
>>
>>80346315
どどーゆーいみ
The どどー is a stuttering, awkward version of どう.
ゆー is a casual way of writing いう.
So it's really どういう意味.
>>
Nice Norwegian flag in your banner. It looks like a pirate copy of ours.

>>80339641
>>
>>80346466
It was made based on that general op template design, using the Anki icon as the mofit. I think you are the first anon to point this out.
>>
So I'm seeing 知り合 written with the middle character different, one stroke, downward from topleft and then three quarters of a circle clockwise. What's up with that?
>>
>>80348671
whoops, should be 知り合り. Only the first is written differently.
>>
>>80348671
You mean り? It's just differences in font.
>>
>>80348878
That shows up the same to me, so maybe? Both forms appeared right after each other.
>>
>>80348948
It'd be a lot easier to properly answer your question if you posted what exactly is you were seeing.
>>
>>80348948
Disregard all of that, I'm a dumbass and was reading り as the same as い.

>>80348970
That's a good point that I should've thought of beforehand.
>>
>>80233178
Does this sound like ひょうさつ or きょうさつ
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1t0cX0rr6kD
>>
>>80349775
Latter
>>
>>80349775
Sounds like it could be either, tomod8.
>>
>>80349782
>>80349794
I think it sounds more like きょうさつ as well, but it is the ひょうさつ - 表札.mp3 from the JDIC audio collection (should be the same as the default Rikaisama uses). It was kind of bugging me so I'm going to remove it from the vocab card in Anki. Wanted another set of ears in case it was just me.

Thanks for the input, 先輩達。
>>
>>80349775
>>80349865
Not even slightly kyou, add more listening to your daily menu.
>>
>>80349775
Definitely sounds “きょうさつ”.

Never heard such a word in daily life.
My smartphone suggests “挟殺”, which means murdering somebody by pressing, such as using industrial pressing machine or something.
>>
>>80349971
Do you think it sounds like ひょうさつ?
>>
How does 身勝手の極意 translate?
>>
Panzer vor
>>
ベニスww
>>
>>80350731
I guess the secret tricks of being an egomaniac.
>>
What does mean つもり here?
この双眼鏡はもしかして覗くつもりで覗かれるモノなのかもしれませんね
>>
>>80350673
Actually I mixed it up, I meant it doesn't sound like hyou at all, even if you force the H sound it should sound more like a kh, not a clear-cut k like the audio. So maybe the sample audio is really wrong.
>>
>>80351478
"for the purpose of" peeping
>>
File: zzz.jpg (17 KB, 301x110)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>
>>80233178
Do Japs have a fetish for Germans?
>>
>>80352788
About 1940 to 1945 reasons why we love each other.
>>
Is 仕事だ "I'm working" or "It's work"?
>>
>>80353119
次回イタリア抜き
>>
>>80353296
Either depending on the situation.
>>
>>80353385
イタリアの無用がなかったら、我々がロシアに勝てる機械はあるかもしれなかった
>>
File: 2017-10-08_14-18-54.png (22 KB, 685x202)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
I love this KireiCake dictionary now, wish I had found it earlier.
Yomichan>Rikaichan
>>
>>80354366
That dictionary is also on Rikaisama.
>>
https://youtu.be/D43KnhdYyU0
>>
>>80356493
スッッッッゲエエエエェェェ!!!アンナニエイゴヲシャベリタイ!ウラヤマシイ…(●`ε´●)
>>
>>80352554
I don't think so.
>clause A plain form + つもりで + clause B means 'with the intention of doing A, B happened / I did B etc.
>>
What is the accent pattern for 晏如?
Here's my best guess: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1HJW81pOXJP
>>
>>80356493
Why does it seem that almost every other commercial on Japanese television is for cellphones or cellphone networks?
>>
>>80353986
無用(being unnecessary) > 無能さ(incompetence)

機械(machine) > 機会(occasion, chance)
>>
Haven’t you anons come up with reading some your domestic literature you’ve already known and got translated into Japanese?
Maybe easy to assimilate deathuu.
>>
>>80358552
>無用(being unnecessary) > 無能さ(incompetence)
thanks

>機械(machine) > 機会(occasion, chance)
yea I fucked up here
>>
How are japanese names written correctly?
Should I write them as
John Smith
or
Smith John
>>
File: 480x.jpg (16 KB, 480x673)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>80233178
That banner. Typical.
>>
>>80358802
Generally speaking they go $lastname $firstname, so Smith John
>>
>>80358685
That's what I'm doing mostly and it goes well, though there is some difficulty with finding Japanese audibooks to accompany translated books, and those audiobooks are invaluable - not just for practicing speech recognition, but listening along helps to figure out word and particles separation in more complicated sentences.

Most of the links on koohii forum are dead, but I got some, read-listened to トロッコ、蜘蛛の糸 and 藪の中, tried こゝろ and 坊っちゃん but found them both boring. Maybe when I'll learn to read faster they will go down better.

Almost done with Harry Potter - 1, voice in the audibook is great and I feel like my reading have improved a great deal.
After that will probably go back to Sherlock Holmes short novels - they were a bit difficult on the first approach
Then maybe Potter-2 or get 時をかける少女 on audible, it says there it is 3 hours long, can't say if it is unabridged or not.
>>
>>80360692
>>80360692
>>80360692
>>80360692
>>80360692

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.