[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1531246499688.png (243 KB, 998x1140)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
Ded

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the /int/ Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

>>>/t/language

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)
>>
From last thread:

Easy
>I brought dessert.
>I enjoyed the talk.
>They were pilots.
>He is a wrestler.
>I'm in pain.

Normal
>He is likely to be absent tomorrow.
>I'd be disappointed if I saw you doing that.
>I've been worrying about that.
>Who else in Boston do you know?
>Life is what you make it.

Hard
>I'm moving to Mars next week, so if you have any boxes.
>The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together: our virtues would be proud if our faults whipped them not; and our crimes would despair if they were not cherished by our own virtues.
>A big corporation is more or less blamed for being big; it is only big because it gives service. If it doesn't give service, it gets small faster than it grew big.
>>
> learn chink runes
> know a couple by the end of the day
> forgot most of them by next day morning because theyre hard and make absolutely no sense for indoeuropean lingo speaker
> dont understand absolutely anything spoken bc chinks babble too fast and it all sounds the same

Am i gonna make it guise?
>>
>>92079719
Sounds like you're not doing exercises nearly enough
>>
File: 1523568764701.jpg (17 KB, 300x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>92079606
Easy
>I brought dessert.
Tôi mua đồ ngọt.

>I enjoyed the talk.
Tôi thích cuộc nói chuyện.

>They were pilots.
Họ là phi công.

>He is a wrestler.
Cậu là người đánh vật.

>I'm in pain.
Tôi bị đau.
>>
>>92079579
Looking for experiences with the pushkininstitute for learning russian. Anyone here used it? Good? Bad? Gay?
>>
File: 1523463305938.jpg (16 KB, 568x376)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>92079719
Recognizing a moonrune and what it means is actually the easiest part imo
On the other hand spoken chinese seems extremely hard compared to written chinese, my brain can't process that fast and it's impossible to recongize tones since they speak so fast
>>
>thinking of learning Chinese after Japanese
>the commie Mandarin is useful, but the simplified characters are ugly and a lot of them were not simplified in Japanese
>the traditional ones are nice, but who need Taiwanese Mandarin?
Maybe fuck the rest of East Asia after all, I don't even speak French yet.
>>
>>92079719
Well going full asian is not something I would try before being better in other easier languages.
Good luck with it lad, I know I would not make it, or lack the motivation.
As for the lack of motivation, I would not want to touch anything chinese professionnally with a 10-feet pole.
>>
>>92079719
Learn some of the radicals first, that should make the process of memorizing chink scribbles less painful.
And write. Write a lot.
>>
How long would it generally take to be able to read Pushkin, Tolstoy, etc in Russian?
>>
>>92082181
If you have to ask, probably forever.
>>
>tfw learning about languages temporarily keeps me from wanting to die but I'm too much of a brainlet to understand it deeply
>>
File: 1522980613065.jpg (88 KB, 900x600)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>92082720
Good to know.
>>
Anyone else done a Baltic language? I am doing Lithuanian and I think I need to expand my brain to understand all this shit.
I used Easy Languages on youtube for german and spanish but there is no such thing for lithuanian sadly
Worst thing is google translating every single word because barely any of them resemble words from languages that I know.
>>
>>92079719
Do not learn each character individually without consideration for any other character. Each character is made up of components that at least gives you a slight clue on what it means and how it's pronounced.
For example, the character for mother (妈) is made up of the character for woman (女) and horse (马). 马 tells us that the character is pronounced as "ma", as 马 and 妈 both have the same pronunciation. 女 tells us that 妈 has something to do with females.
Another example would be the character for silver (银), which is made up of the character for gold (金) and the people as a group (民). 民 is there because the pronunciation of 银 (yín) and 民 (mín) are similar, as you can see the tones are the same.
If you can speak English, then spoken Chinese will be a breeze as grammar and sentence structure are nearly the same in both languages, with Chinese being simpler than English.
>>
File: 1529342468574.png (387 KB, 790x837)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>92080510
pls
>>
>>92083231
Seriously, the worst enemy of a language learning is impatience.
The 17-19th century Russian literature has words, expressions and even verb tenses that are no longer used in modern Russian. So by the time you reach that level you will be able to read literally anything else (written in modern Russian) easily.
That's something you can never achieve if you just keep looking at the calendar and asking "g-guys, how many more days do I have to study to do X?".
>>
>>92083727
of a language learner*
>>
>>92065751
Bump for halp
>>
Why does the language wiki have meme languages like manx, cornish and afrikaans but not lithuanian or latvian?
>>
>>92083727
I understand what you're saying. It's good to have short term, achievable goals, but wouldn't you agree that it's good to have a dream to strive for when learning?
>>
>>92084596
Differentiate between dreams and goals.
You asked how long it would take you to become proficient enough in Russian to read 19th century literature. You're already making it a goal in your mind, even though you probably can't even construct a proper copular sentence yet.
Have dreams, but keeps your goals achievable, lest you burn out after three weeks of studying.
>>
pffft
>>
Any tips on improving listening skills on french?
I can read it perfectly and write it more or less decently but listening toi t is a nightmare.
>>
>>92079606
easy:

>디저트를 가져왔습니다.
>이야기를 좋아합니다.
>그들은 조종사예요.
>그는 레슬링 선수예요.
>아야! 아파! ;-; (저는 아프고 있습니다.)

Normal:

>그는 내일 결석을 할 수도 있습니다.
>만약 전 니가 그 걸 하는 것을 보면 실망스러울 거예요.
>이 걸 위해 걱정됐습니다.
>니가 알는 누구도 보스톤에 살습니까?
>삶은 니가 이로 만드는 것을 입니다.

Thank you for reposting this
>>
>>92083290
Try it and see for yourself. I won't hurt.
>>
>>92085452
*it won't hurt
>>
>>92079579
Can we pretty please go back to OPs that don't feature reddit garbage?
>>
>>92085565
Can you not shit up the thread with your desperate attempts to fit into le ebin mysterious hacker 4chan, thank you
>>
>>92085565
>sperging about reddit at the drop of a hat
Back to l*ddit you go.
>>
>>92085565
What parts are Reddit garbage, exactly?
>>
>>92085880
Newfriends call everything they don't like "reddit"
>>
>>92085146
I got better by watching let's plays on youtube (I know) and listening specifically to two radio channels from Paris. Search for France Info (this one is the best) and Europe1
http://radio.garden/live/paris/franceinfo/
>>
im learning prussian ( yes prussian ) already pretty much fluent
>>
Is there any site for pinyin pronunciation drills? Options for tone combinations and so on would be nice, but I mostly want to train my recognition of individual sounds.
>>
>>92086518
Why though? Are you an academic?
>>
>>92086641

nah mate just have fuck all to be at in my town so me and my mates started learning prussian
>>
>>92085880
I won't dignify the others with a response, but since you asked politely, both the image and the first word. It should be obvious why the image is horrible. Whoever made it knows it's horrible. As for the word "ded", its an attempt to be self-deprecating as to the inactivity of /lang/ threads. It actually goes further beyond because it's the first post and thus mocking /lang/ threads in general. It falls flat on its face as humor, though, just like some of the 4chan banners, because you hide behind the cheekiness as a shield when people ask why they blend in so well with the Enemy in their oh-so-sarcastic insults and mockery of the population of this thread, board, or website, or even the Internet, so well that you can't distinguish them. If you don't want to be called a redditor, stop saying how this site was never good every two posts you make. Common sense.
>>
>>92087238
Complete, unironic autism. I'm not even joking, something is seriously wrong with you
>>
>>92087358
t. reddit
>>
>>92087575
You realize without the greentext you just call yourself reddit right
>>
>>92087649
>knowing this much about the mechanics and physics of reddit memes like t.

If he's reddit imagine what you are.
>>
>>92087722
>didn't major in reddit memes
Enjoy your minimum wage kek
>>
Anyone want to talk about languages or just cry about other websites some more?
>>
>>92088672
No one cried about reddit, redditor. I only see discussion of this very thread's OP. If you want to discuss languages, lead by example.
>>
>>92088964
>he's still upset about it
>>
>>92079606
>デザートを持ってきたよ
>トークを楽しみました
>操縦士がいた
>レスラーなんだ
>痛いよ

>明日は彼はおそらく欠席です
>あなたはそんなことしてるのを見ていたら失望するのよ
>それが心配でしたよ
>ボストンに居る人は他に誰が知ってるの?
>人生は作るもんさ

>来週は火星へ引っ越すんで箱があったらよこせ
>僕らは命の糸が織りなされた毛糸のように善悪が同居している。すなわち、悪に打たれなければ善が誇り高きし、善に愛しくされなければ悪が絶望するのである
>大企業は大体大きくなったのを責められていてもサービスを提供することで大きくなっただけですし、サービスを止めていたら大きくなった分より早く小さくなるのです

母語話者がいるなら見直しをよろしくおねがいします
>>
File: helpMeVietAnon.jpg (75 KB, 600x674)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>92079606
>>92080151
>Normal
Anh sắp xảy ra không ở ̣đây ngày mai.

Tôi sẽ bị thất vọng nếu tôi thấy bạn làm đó.

Tôi ̣(đang) lo nhiều lăm về đó.

Có biết ay người khác ở Boston không?

Cuộc sống là gì làm thế nào.
>>
File: censor.jpg (101 KB, 1090x1280)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Does anyone know what this says, or barring that, what language this is?
I've been combing through the alphabets of languages which use cyrillic but none of them have all of these characters in common
>>
>>92083265

Mokausi lietuvių kalbos. Prieš du metus pradejau mokytis šios kalbos o dar mokausi, bet šiuo metu jaučiuosi daugiau pasitikejimo. Labai sunku savarankiškai studijuoti bet darbe galiu su keletu žmonių snekėti o dėl to, esu be galo dekinga...daug kantrybės turi.

(I am sure I messed up multiple times here)

The grammar in Lithuanian takes a while to get used to and you will be searching for words anyway. If you want easy loan words, of course, you would look for English ones and there are quite a number of them. I search for new words and shit every day and repeat them multiple times and try to use them in miscellaneous sentences.

What aspects do you feel you have the most trouble on? What do you feel you need to understand more? I have built up a decent amount of resources now and they have been invaluable. Here are a couple:

http://www.lituanus.org/1987/87_1_04.htm - Lithuanian Participles

http://www.šaltiniai.info/files/kalba/KF00/Lietuvi%C5%B3_kalbos_%C5%BEinynas._Daiktavard%C5%BEi%C5%B3_kir%C4%8Diavimas.KF2700.pdf - Lithuanian stress system

I will try and help where I can (where I feel confident I can).
>>
>>92079606
>Easy
>>I brought dessert.
Ho portato il dessert
>>I enjoyed the talk.
Questa conversazione mi è piaciuto
>>They were pilots.
Loro erano piloti
>>He is a wrestler.
E' un combattente
>>I'm in pain.
Ho dolore
>Normal
>>He is likely to be absent tomorrow.
Probabilmente non sarà qui domani.
>>I'd be disappointed if I saw you doing that.
Se ti vedessi fare questo sarei deluso.
>>I've been worrying about that.
Questa sta mi preoccupando
>>Who else in Boston do you know?
Chi di più tu conosci in Boston?
>>Life is what you make it.
La vita è la tua scelta
>Hard
Mi sto trasferendo su Marte, quindi se avete alcune scatole...
>>
Teleport me to China
>>
>>92090685
Russian.
-Dude, what's the password from va...
-Whoa, ten roubles!
-What the fuck...
The hand writing must have made it harder to recognize.
>>
>>92080511
Issues like that comes with learning every language, except with Chinese it seems far more quicker because each word is significantly shorter than their European counterparts. The only way you'll overcome this, like any other language, is with practice.
>>
>>92080918
If you like Traditional characters but still want to use Simplified characters for pragmatic purposes, then that's not too much of a problem.
Many characters in Japanese are simplified too, and many of these are the same as the simplified Chinese characters. For example the word for country (国) is the same in both languages.
Another point to make is that many words aren't actually simplified, you'll find that both Traditional and Simplified writing systems share many characters, such as 民 or 狗.
Even if the characters are different, they won't look too different, the simplified character for cat (猫) is only different by three minor strokes (貓), you should be able to recognise it easily.
For characters that look drastically different, try to keep in mind that simplified characters are mostly just traditional characters with everything but the key components removed, an example would be the word for opening a door, which is 开 in Simplified and 開 in Traditional, notice how the door component is removed in the simplified version, therefore you are left with only the unique feature of the character. Another example would be 广 and 廣, you'll notice that the character for yellow (黃) is taken out.
The only cases where you will have some trouble is when you see characters that have basically been completely rewritten, the character for evil/betrayal (姦) is made up of three women (女) in Traditional, but the simplified version is 奸, which is nothing alike.
>>
>>92086450
>radio garden
just use foobar2000 and add this link
http://www.listenlive.eu/fr_franceinfo128.m3u

also if you want more stations: http://www.listenlive.eu/france.html
>>
>>92094407
>the character for evil/betrayal (姦)
Also known as everyone's favorite JAV character
>>
>been posting the challenges and my own answers/the threads from my phone for days because I thought I was banned for 3 days
>was only banned for one
Whoops
>>
Translation challenge:

Easy -
>After reddit, my friends visited an international place.
>I really like to kiss frogs.
>Is this place about Japan and Japanese culture?

Medium -
>I never laugh out loud, o my dear. I only Keep On Killing this place.
>I keep in a special folder my rare frogs and sad faces.
>It's only your opinion that the community is not better than ever!

Hard -
>Oh shit. I studied today. One less chance to complain online about how I haven't progressed.
>Did you know that brainlet is funniest when somebody's being a Captain Obvious instead? It's so absurd!
>This is kind of boring. Why would I talk about foreign languages when I can make threads about mixing of races instead?
>>
>>92095283
I hope you realize the irony in that your constant sperging is the only thing shitting the thread up
>>
>>92095283
Correction: Keep Endlessly
>>
File: 1530233897067.jpg (15 KB, 675x601)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>that 28 year old boomer who drags a productive thread down with his asshurt at a meme he doesn't like
>>
>>92095394
You thought you were banned for three times longer than you were because deep down you know you deserved to be banned three hundred times longer.
>>
>>92095667
Was literally just responding to sneedbait on /tv/ with "sneed". Gotten 3 day globals for it before but the mods ignore the entire board perpetually being stormfront
>>
File: 1530582830311.jpg (27 KB, 410x410)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
i just want to know what it feels like to understand another language.
>>
>>92095796
Then learn one
>>
>>92095792
>Was
>Not *I* Was

You can add the murder of English with your slang-talk to the list of your offenses, redditor.
>>
>>Was
>>Not *I* Was
>You can add the murder of English with your slang-talk to the list of your offenses, redditor.
>>
>>92096793
So you repeated my post with how you looked before your sex change next to it. Big freaking whoop.
>>
>So you repeated my post with how you looked before your sex change next to it. Big freaking whoop.
>>
>>92097260
This is just getting pathetic now. You won. You can have your crappy language learning thread. I'll go read some ancient literature manuscripts because I'm already there. LOSER!
>>
>>92097332
But there were more pictures I found that I didn't get to use :(
>>
I hate irregular verbs in Portuguese
>>
>>92083279
>For example, the character for mother (妈) is made up of the character for woman (女) and horse (马).

thanks, really makes things clear and simple.
>>
>>92079606
Ich kaufte Nachtisch
Ich habe das Gespräch genossen
Sie waren Piloten
Er ist Ringer
Ich habe Schmerzen

Er wird wahrscheinlich morgen abwesend sein
Ich wäre enttäuscht wenn ich dich das tun gesehen habe
Ich habe mir darüber Sorgen gemacht
Das Leben ist was man es macht

Näschte Woche ziehe ich nach Mars, Also wenn du irgendwelche Boxen hast
>>
I've been learning Dutch, I think it's pretty cool, sentence structure sounds like reading Shakespeare and staad/zitten/liggen is quite interesting.
What kind of stuff should I be using for learning random nouns? I already have a list of assorted vocab that I practice with, but even simple stuff like in the OP I find difficult merely because I don't know the nouns. Is time all I need, or are there more strategies?
>>
Learning: Chinese, Russian, German, Spanish.

I'm excited to start Russian courses in the Fall. As for German and Spanish, my goals are to finish Duolingo + Memrise for both (and I'm already done with German).

Feels good lads
>>
>>92099479
How long have you been learning Dutch, what is your schedule like? What do you use besides your list?
>>
>>92099641
Using Duolingo, watching media in Dutch/with Dutch subtitles, set phone/computer language to Dutch, practice phrases to myself, browse NL threads, some friends who know Dutch to help with pronunciation, etc.
As a schedule I do the Duolingo practices and whatever but it's kinda just trying to do as much immersion as possible without making it an annoyance
>>
Struggling with japonese.
Hiragana and Katakana is quite easy, but I haven't memorized them all yet. When I'm done memorizing all of those, I'll start studing partcles and when to use them, I still have no clue when to use が,の,に,と, etc. And of course, I'm pretty sure I'll give up when I get to Kanji.
>>
Deleted my posts because I'll form my thoughts into one consolidated post.
>German: B1-B2:
>Swedish: A1

Anyway I'm very interested in learning Russian due to its usefulness, apparent consistency with grammar and pronunciation, the overall sound of it and while not important, it looks cool too. These reasons are also why I learned German. The thing is I'm not learning three languages at once and am deciding between Swedish and starting Russian.

Pros of Russian: the above plus my former university offers it (may sign up along with further German classes in the fall, they cost around $50-200 to audit)
Cons: Difficult, no plans to live or really even visit any Russian speaking country, learning the keyboard layout on a burger keyboard

Pros of Swedish: Easy, Sweden is one of my top countries to move to if I move from the US (>implying I'll ever get off my ass and do it) plus can sort of understand and read Norwegian (and Danish to a lesser extent)
Cons: Not too interesting as far as learning languages goes, difficult to understand spoken, small population who speaks it

Help me out here
>>
>>92098113
Eu odeio, tu odeias, ele odeia, nós odiamos, vós odiais, eles odeiam.
>>
>>92099938
Also one con but not a huge one, no Russian general as far as I can tell. I like hanging around /deutsch/ for practice even though it's cancer
>>
>>92099747
Have you considered putting difficult words you come across during your immersion in a flashcard program like Anki?
>>
>>92100013
That's pretty much what I do with my list. I'll cover up one side, and try and get the translations right for each word.
I think I just suck at memory
>>
>>92079606

ho portato dolce
mi è piaciuto il discorso
Erano piloti

è probabilmente sare assente
Sarei deluso se ho veduto ti fa quella(I always fuck up pronouns)
Avevo pauro d'quella
Chi altro a Boston ti sai?
L'vita è che lo fai

Mi trasferirò a Marte la settimana proxima, se hai ogni scatole

pls rate
>>
>>92100046
I've been doing this with other languages and it's a bad idea because you start to just memorize the positions of words.
>>
>>92099938
>Written always uses cursive
fuck
>>
>>92100308
oh yeah
ok nevermind I'm just rarted
flash cards it is then
>>
>>92100338
Just curious, why Dutch, especially over German?
>>
>>92100382
German is for nerds
Dutch doesn't sound as angry
Nederland/Belgium > Germany
>>
Why is no one doing my challenge? Is it too tough? >>92095283
>>
>>92079606
colloquial\written

my persian is rusty desu

>I brought dessert.
شیرینی را خریدم \ شیرینی رو خریدم

>I enjoyed the talk.
گفتگو را دوست داشتم \ گفتگو رو دوست داشتم

>They were pilots.
آنها خلبان بودند \ اونا خلبون بودن

>He is a wrestler.
او کشتیگیر است \ اون کشتیگیر ه

>I'm in pain.
من درد میکشم \ درد میکشم

(1/3)
>>
>>92100663

احتمال است که فردا غایب باشد \ احتمال ه که فردا غایب باشه

اگر میدیدم که تو آن را میکردی ناامیدی احساس میکردم \ اگه میدیدم که تو اونو میکردی ناامیدی احساس میکردم

راجع به آن دلواپس بودهام \ راجب اون دلواپس بودم

دیگر کسی در بوستون را میشناسی؟ \ دیگه کسی تو بوستونو میشناسی؟

زندگی است که میخواهی \ زندگی ه که میخوایی

(2/3)
>>
>>92100684

هفتهی آینده به مریخ خواهم رفت، پس لطفاً اگر جعبهها داری به من بگو \ هفتهی آینده به مریخ میرم، پس لطفاً اگه جعبهها داری بهم بگو

>The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together: our virtues would be proud if our faults whipped them not; and our crimes would despair if they were not cherished by our own virtues.
تار عنکبوت زندگیمان با نیکی و بدی هر دو از یک نخ تنیده است: اگر عیبمان تقوایمان را مجازات نمیکردند آنها متکبر باشند و اگر تقوایمان جرممان را گرامی نمیداشتند آنها مایوس بشوند \ تار عنکبوت زندگیمون با خوبی و بدی هر دو از نخ تنیدهیی ه: اگه عیبمون تقوایمونو مجازات نمیکردن اونا متکبر باشند و اگه تقوایمون جرممونو گرومی نمیداشتن اونا مایوس بشن

>A big corporation is more or less blamed for being big; it is only big because it gives service. If it doesn't give service, it gets small faster than it grew big.
به خاطرهی رشدش شرکت مقصر شد؛ فقط بزرگ است چون خدمات را میدهد. اگر او خدمات را نمیدهد او پژمرده میشود سریعتر از کی رشد شد. \ به خاطرهی رشدش شرکت مقصر شد؛ فقط بزرگ ه چون خدماتو میده. اگه اون خدماتو پژمرده میشه سریعتر از کی رشد شد.
>>
>>92093320
>password from va...
"wifi password" maybe?
>>
>>92090685
-Dude, whats the password for wi-...
-Whoa, a tenner
-What the fuck
>>
>>92095121
>>
>>92101065
Not him but while you're here, are written Cyrillic letters generally connected or do people not bother?
>>
>>92099519
Are Duolingo and Memrise even useful?
I mean, I completed the whole French Duolingo course and it got me nowhere
>>92099964
There is a general called /rus/+/bel/+/ukr/, it is very boring, however.
Better visit our image board —2ch
>>
>>92101197
Completely slipped my mind there'd be a separate image board but that's a lot more useful anyway, thanks
>>
>>92101158
Yes, all people who graduated primary school write in cursive (that is, connect letters). Although some may have very messy handwriting and not connect some letters together.
>>
File: cyrillikc.png (28 KB, 280x870)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>92101252
One more question, am I going to look like an idiot using these variations? Or rather, could you just tell me which forms of these are the most common?
>>
>>92101276
Using the partial derivative symbol for "д" is not very common.
>>
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists

this is something I discovered that might be worth including in the OP. It contains frequency lists of the most common words in each of the languages listed
>>
>>92101276
It is quite common, as far as I know school usually teaches to write letters like those on the left.
Same thing is that school teaches to write with incline to the right and some people write with incline to the left, nobody really cares much.
And do not worry, it is quite easy to read cursive once you know all the words it contains.
>>
>>92101351
>>92101404
Thing is I want to do it as "properly" as possible but most of the second forms seem far easier to write
>>
Another day, another set of chink runes. I also learn arabic at the same time btw. Wish me luck!
>>
>>92101433
What is the "proper" way to write the small "R"?
>>
>>92101491
Well, any of the letters
>>
>>92101442
Good luck, I'm running through Chinese radicals on Anki right now.
>>
>>92100416
Gebaseerd & roodgepilled
>>
>>92101517
Point is, if you consider the "elementary school cursive" the proper way to write then don't use the other variants.
Listen, Russian has a fucked up grammar and even more fucked up punctuation. Writing should be the least of your worries.
>>
>>92101491
Well, you can not really connect small д and т on the right
>>
>>92101555
>tfw fuck up punctuation a lot
Is there even any way I can relearn it at out of school age?
>>
File: DSCF8069.jpg (470 KB, 2000x1500)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>92101561
Well, I can, but it looks kind of meh.
>>
>>92101555
I know the grammar is hard but is it really "fucked up"? I heard it was consistent
>>
File: 1507157328525.png (1.51 MB, 1440x1908)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>92101616
I don't know.
I'm a math major, so people assume I'm educated, but I couldn't write a long sentence correctly to save my life, and I'm far from the only one like that in my university.
Show me the sick bastard who invented these rules.
>>
>>92101616
Well, there's this book I used to prepare for EГЭ, but you're going to need a lot of patience to read it. It dedicates entire chapters to things I never even thought about.
http://old-rozental.ru/
>>
>>92099956
Sim mais os verbos como odiar não são difíceis. Os verbos como pôr ou vir, Jesus Christ

>>92100270
>ho portato dolce
Dolci* or just say dessert
>è probabilmente sare assente
è probabile che non sarà presente domani
>Sarei deluso se ho veduto ti fa quella
Se avessi visto quello che facevi
>Avevo pauro d'quella
Mi preoccupavo per quello
>Chi altro a Boston ti sai?
A Boston conosci
>L'vita è che lo fai
La vita è ciò che ne fai
>Mi trasferirò a Marte la settimana proxima, se hai ogni scatole
In Marte la settimana prossima, allora se hai alcune scatole
>>
>>92101680
It gets nerdy sometimes and the way a word is stressed is unpredictable a lot of times.
I think the good part about Russian is that vocabulary is smaller, it is not like you can open a book and see new words once you have graduated high school, unless it is a specific term for something, where in English I open Joyce and see words which I have never seen used before anywhere else.
But do not give up, reading Nabokov in Russian and Russian prose in general is one of my biggest joys.
>>
>>92079606
>Normal
>>He is likely to be absent tomorrow.
>>I'd be disappointed if I saw you doing that.
>>Life is what you make it.

what the fuck. i can't even translate these into my native language
>>
>>92101986
>It gets nerdy sometimes and the way a word is stressed is unpredictable a lot of times.
Shiet, that's the main part of languages I don't like, but you've described one of two reasons I'd never want to learn English as a non-native with the "joyce" thing, although it's not a word really used.

>>92102001
The first two are fine but the latter is an expression, should also be "make OF it" but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>>
>>92102035
>"joyce" thing, although it's not a word really used.
Because it's a surname, genius.
>>
>>92079579
I am trying to learn german rn, and you know, it's so hard at the start. I'm not that kind of a person who finds joyful trying to learn by heart new words or phrases.
I bet it's hard only at the start. Studying english, for example, became easy after i got this basic vocabulary. Really hope that it gets easier.
>>
>>92102101
Confusing it with something else, it's 4am and I'm half asleep
>>
>>92102110
Ah, German was the first language I took seriously which is around B1 right now. For English speakers the grammar is the hard part but from what I understand Russian has German grammar but far harder
>>
>>92102035
After you have been immersed into the language for some time it just gets natural.
I mean, a lot of Russian speakers get word stress wrong and sometimes it is even a matter of a heated debate whether some word is pronounced this or that way.
You just want to make errors which native speakers make, not errors which non-native speakers make.
>>
>>92102189
The other problem is I'm >>92099938 and would be dropping Swedish if I decided to commit to Russian. Already not a fan of figuring out word stress in Swedish and I don't imagine Russian is much more fun with it
>>
>>92102156
>Russian has German grammar but far harder
No, German is much closer to English than it is to Russian (well, duh).
>>
>>92102247
From an English perspective it seems like a far harder version, I didn't mean it objectively
>>
>>92102247
Well, to be fair, the Dative and the Genitive cases are used similarly to how they are used in Russian, but that's about it.
>>
>>92102296
Everything seems harder from an English perspective tbqh
>>
>>92101986
>>92102189
Don't scare him too much, Russian grammar isn' THAT hard. The hardest thing in Russian is it's punctuation, but it becomes a lot easier with some basic rules knowledge.
>>
File: IMG_20180711_115815.png (568 KB, 1080x1119)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
>>92084171

Afrikaans isn't a meme language
>>
>>92079579
>Learning any other language while speaking English
LMAO shut up everything else is useless you just need english, everything else is just special snowflake bullshit.
>>
>>92102370
)you))
>>
So I'm the one starting out with Russian and I'm noticing written half of the letters look the god damn same and I can't even read my own handwriting.

Also I'm probably heading off after this post but thanks for all of the replies
>>
File: 026.jpg (639 KB, 1058x1500)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
>>92102370
But how else am I going to read my Chinese porn comics?
>>
File: IMG_0698.jpg (82 KB, 936x633)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>92102410
Good luck figuring out what the fuck is written on pic related
>>
>>92093179
>Questa conversazione mi è piaciutA
remember to check for the gender of each noun
>(Loro) erano piloti
It's right as it is, just want you to notice that the subject can and (and will most of the time) be omitted.
>È un combattente
Careful with stressed capital letter (you can do È by typing alt + 0 2 0 0)
>Probabilmente non sarà qui domani
This one was literally perfect, not even some Italian would have translated this in the right way.
>Se ti vedessi fare questo sarei deluso
Usually "deluso" gets collocated with "rimanere" rather than "essere"
>Questa sta mi preoccupando
I don't know it this was a typo, anyway "questa cosa mi sta facendo preoccupare" or "questO mi sta facendo preoccupare".
>Chi di più tu conosci in Boston?
here too, you can omit the subject, and also "di più" is usually used for comparative or with number. When dealing with people you say "altro/ altri": Chi altri conosci a Boston?
>La vita è la tua scelta
This sounds like you have to choose whether you want to live or you want to die: "La vita è ciò che ne fai"
>Mi sto trasferendo su Marte, quindi se avete alcune scatole...
Perfect! Maybe I would have said "delle scatole" rather than "alcune scatole", but it depends on the context
>>
>>92102489
Thank fuck I'm likely not going to be reading handwriting aside from my own, which again, I can't read
>>
>>92102522
Don't worry, nobody writes like that anyway.
>>
>>92102489
шиншиллa?
>>
>>92102591
You're totally right.
>>
>>92102540
Regardless, I guess I'll just teach myself cyrillic for now, continue Swedish, take Russian (along with another German class) in the fall and see if I want to continue Russian after that. Anyway I'm out for real, thanks again all
>>
>>92093297
God I wish I was this naive again
>>
>>92099917
Dont spend more than a few days at most for hiragana and katakana. You'll be seeing it so much that you'll have it 100% down very quickly.
>>
>>92099938
>burger keyboard
it's an english keyboard, nimrod
>>
>>92079579
deutsch
mainly learned by myself, but i'm starting uni in less than two weeks to study german there. wish me luck
>>
>>92102919
>all English keyboard layouts are the same
>>
>>92099917
>I'll start studing partcles and when to use them, I still have no clue when to use が,の,に,と, etc.
If you don't even know kana yet, you're not supposed to understand that anyway. Japanese very different from European languages, so take your time, read learning materials carefully and try reading よつばと to measure your progress. As far as I know, よつばと is the simplest manga there is.

This website may be useful.
https://djtguide.neocities.org/
One more thing - do NOT waste your time shitposting in >>>/jp/djt .
>>
Explain Finnish
>>
>>92103040
paska
>>
>>92103052
tank u
>>
>>92103006
yes that's correct. good on you mate!
>>
>>92103099
Hello! Do You Speak English? Nice To Meet You. How Do You Do? I Like The Weather. Goodbye!
>>
>>92103151
:DDDDD
>>
>>92086808
based
>>
File: 6.jpg (24 KB, 810x792)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
:(
Why won't you learn Italian.....
>>
>>92103422
LEARN ITALIAN MAN
COME TO ITALY
WE GOT FOOD WE GOT WOMEN WE GOT SEA
LEARN ITALIAN SO YOU CAN READ DANTE
PLEASE I'M HUNGRY
>>
>>92103460
Is there something worth reading or watching in (modern) Italian that doesn't require a minimum vocabulary of 15000?
>>
Really been enjoying Language learning lately, still need to work on my routine a bit, but otherwise doing okay.
>>92103422
>>92103460
I am trying :( dont worry Italy,
>>
>>92103499
I don't know about minimum vocabulary needed, but I really enjoyed Il Miracolo, and people here go crazy for Gomorra. I don't know about reading, though.
I tend to avoid modern Italian books in general. We've got some good music, though (I Cani, Fast Animal and Slow Kids, Diaframma, Massimo Volume, just off the top of my head)
>>
>>92103621
Okay, maybe I'll check it out.
In summer 2021. Experience tells me I'm not very good at learning the basics of several languages at the same time.
>>
>>92103460
L'Italiano è una cosa bella. Voglio una ragazza italiana
>>
>>92099117
Just bear in mind that the 马 only indicates the sound and not the meaning.
>>
>>92095121
姦 also means rape/adultery, so that explains it.
>>
File: 20180712_063500.jpg (441 KB, 1080x759)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
Better learn Chinese before China takes over.
>>
>>92099117
然 (correct) = 夕 (evening) + 犬 (dog) + 灬 (fire)
要 (demand) = 西 (west) + 女 (woman)
>>
>>92091825
>bet šiuo metu jaučiuosi daugiau pasitikejimo.

jaučiu, also always put a "," before bet.

>bet darbe galiu su keletu žmonių snekėti o dėl to, esu be galo dekinga...daug kantrybės turi.

šnekėti*

>dėkinga

ARE YOU A GRILL

>daug kantrybės turi.

turiu* if you're talking about yourself, turi indicates some other person.
>>
>>92106137
>要 (demand)
I see you're twisting the meaning slightly for a meme. 要 on its own is the generic term for wanting/needing something.
>>
>>92106410
>twisting the meaning
Not really, I simply picked a random translation from a Chinese dictionary.
Is "demand" by any chance 要求?
>>
>>92106234
tėti what does it mean when a word ends with ninkas
>>
>>92106543
That's more along the lines of request, but you can use it to demand.
>>
>>92106606
It's -ininkas and it's used to denote profession/work/ and probably other shit that I don't remember.

for example bitė = bee, bitininkas = beekeeper and etc.
>>
>>92106763
what about vardininkas
>>
>>92106234

Thanks. 'Jausti' has been on my mind for so long, I have been trying to figure out when I should use that form or the reflex form (jaustis).

Forgot the accent on 'šnekėti' (I love this word for some reason).

For turi, I actually mean to say 'they have a lot of patience', still referring to my friends. Maybe I should roll with 'turi su manim daug kantrybės'?

>ARE YOU A GRILL

I use [spoiler]female pronouns[/spoiler] at work
>>
>>92106824
vardininkas mean nominative case, -ininkas is used for other case names too, like kilmininkas, naudininkas, galininkas and so on.

>>92106862
>Maybe I should roll with 'turi su manim daug kantrybės'?

Yes this would be correct.
>>
Anyone else hate Anki?
>>
>>92107003
why are there so many verbs beginning with pa
>>
>>92107411
Why?
>>
>>92107411
i havent used it enough to develop strong feelings either way for it. what do you hate about it?
>>
>>92107422
It's just so boring that I can't pay attention using it. I try and try but it's not effective like other methods are to me. I'd retain more information just watching a TV show and translating words I don't understand.
>>
File: 1530268843769.jpg (187 KB, 1600x1537)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>92107416
It's one of the 12 prefixes for verbs, but it's the most common one. When these prefixes are added it changes the meaning of action.

For example lets take eiti ( to walk), paeiti would mean to walk a little or be able to walk.

įeiti would mean to enter( as in to enter a building) or to be part of.

apeiti would mean to walk around/avoid and so on.
>>
>>92107488
The usefulness of anki depends on many things.
What language are you studying and how many words approximately do you already know?
If it's a language with a normal alphabet or your vocabulary is over 3000 words, you probably shouldn't use it.
>>
>>92107488
i haven't used it myself, but a friend who has used pictures rather than words for the english translation (or maybe as well as), so that might make it more engaging
>>
Should I take Hebrew during my last year of college ? Is it worth it? Both in the sense of would I get anything out of just a year of study and is Hebrew good to learn?
>>
>>92107822
I'm using it for Swedish and my vocabulary is over 3000 words so I guess it isn't right for me at all. I've used Memrise since the beginning and much preferred that.

>>92107899
That could help. After awhile I just feel like I'm staring at words and not even comprehending them.
>>
>>92107923
i did russian at uni, 2 hours twice a week, couldn't really do a whole lot with it two years later though. i doubt that many language units in uni would be fast paced enough to get beyond learning basic phrases and a bit of grammar in a year, especially with a language that's a bit more foreign to english like hebrew.
that being said though i didn't do much practice outside of the allotted classroom time, which would have helped.
>>
>>92107762
this does not make sense
>>
>>92108153
I'm interested in Hebrew because of Bible and supernatural reasons really also I have a friend that speaks it because he's Jewish and went to those special schools. That's probably a shitty reason , it's a spooky language

Is there a language I could pick up decently in a year? I speak English and Spanish.
>>
>>92108343
http://www.lituanus.org/1991_4/91_4_06.htm

Read from point 2.
>>
>>92085257
Don't mix 너 and polite/formal sentences
>>
>>92108343

if it helps, the prefixes denote what is happening to a verb (or even a noun).

Perfective verbs can have such prefixes as pa- nu- su-....they mean the same thing technically speaking but the prefix expresses a result of an action. iš for example means 'from' or expressing outward movement. eiti means to go...išeiti means to leave...išimti means to take/pull out, etc. You will notice a trend with many words but you can have irregularities.
>>
>>92102507
Thanks for the corrections italianbro.
>Careful with stressed capital letter
I know, but sometimes I see you guys writing è as e' or po' (I've seen it in newspapers like la reppublica) and thought that, just like in French, capitalised letters didn't get the accent. Maybe I just saw several typos kek
>>
>>92108693
This will probably make more sense, it's a bit hard for me to explain in English how shit works.
>>
Any linguists here?
>>
>>92108991
an aspiring one
>>
>>92109089
Do you think it'll be easy to find a job? What do you like the most and the least?
>>
>>92109133
i want to teach with my degree (most likely in germany as im doing a german diploma alongside the degree) and perhaps get into field linguistics or philology so i'll be sticking to the research side of things. i enjoy learning about morphology the most, followed by phonetics. what i like the least is organising and interpreting huge lists of data from vrey obscure languages. ill find an example from last year
>>
>>92108973
do you think i can move to lithuania and work as a norwegian teacher, seeing as half your country is moving here?
>>
>>92109271
Thank you so much. What about computational linguistics?
>>
>>92109355
Well not sure about teacher, but there are plenty companies in other fields where knowing Scandinavian language is needed, like translators, logistics, managers and so on. Finding a job shouldn't be hard.

Also have you ever been here?
>>
>>92109532
Kaune ir Vilniuje. Myliu juos
>>
File: 20180712_232107.jpg (2.88 MB, 4032x2268)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>92109361
the big lists i was thinking of were actually present in the end of semester exam we had but this a smaller example of what i was talking about. just a list with some basic words then working out how they're inflected and what their functions are in relation to syntax.
im not familiar with computational linguistics but it sounds really intriguing. i'll read more into it
>>
>>92109781
Do you think knowledge of foreign languages help?

Thanks for your answer. I have to decide these days whether to go for it or not.
>>
>>92109757
Nice, what did you visit in Kaunas?

t. from Kaunas
>>
>>92109965
Visited the old town, the St. Michael the Archangel's Church, the velnius and čiurlionis museum, the park and shopped a lot in Akropolis.
>>
>>92109871
yeah definitely, being able to apply for example grammar from english to german really helps you conceptualize the function of the grammatical property even further. instead of having just one contextual application, you have an abundant set, giving you a universal idea of what the grammatical function is doing and not just in your language
i'm pretty biased towards linguistics so naturally i'd recommend it. it's a science that is still relatively young and ever grows so there are plenty of things to delve into.
>>
are memerise and zerolingo actually useful for Chinese? I recall trying at least the latter for Japanese and it was complete shit, but I can't find Anki decks I'm happy about with Mandarin audio, so I wonder if there's a better free SRS option.
>>
>>92110296
I wish I did linguistics but it wasn't at my college AND at this point I've seriously soured on academia and hate it.
>>
>>92110296
>it's a science that is still relatively young and ever grows so there are plenty of things to delve into.
Didn't know this, thanks!
>>
>>92110379
I love linguistics but struggle to see myself working as a linguist... I mean, what do they do.
>>
>>92110379
academia can be daunting, even tedious and some of the people you meet at uni are downright insufferable and not pleasant to be around, so i understand your position. however if you still think you can get something out of it, it might be worth to give it another shot. while the environment is less than desirable, you're there for your own benefit and no one else's and that's really all that should matter.
>>92110427
i'll find a list of possible occupations. i did have one but it was in my old uni account and i can't remember the details. i know i'd like to get into field linguistics (studying and collecting data of a language in its natural environment)
>>
>>92110427
https://ling.yale.edu/career-opportunities-linguistics

https://careers.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/1268181/Careers_for_Linguistics_Majors.pdf

in all honesty, if one is to study lingustics, they'd be more inclined to continue research rather than finding a job in it. it looks like the main jobs are teaching languages or linguistics itself.
>>
>>92110693
>give another shot
I've already graduated I don't think I wish to go back for another bachelor's and I don't think masters is for me due to aforementioned dislike of academia. I don't know over there but both options are a considerable amount of money too
>>
>>92110955
that's fair enough. what did you study instead?
>>
>>92108556
니?*
Should I use 네 instead?
>>
>>92110895
>continue research
B-but that’s still a job. You need to find someone to pay for your research.
>>
>>92111968
indeed, but it's not a typical occupation where your job title is "linguist", you're a research first and foremost within the fields of linguistics. but i was thinking earlier that you'd probably have to work alongside the research to pay for it yourself which wouldn't be so bad.
>>
>>92111108
Those are all different forms of 너, I mean in general. It's a very delicate subject but your sentences are highly formal while 너 is used between close friends
>>
why would netflix remove the list of audio and subtitle tracks available on a film from its summary page
what is the fucking point

/rant
>>
I cant find the rules for this, so I have to ask here.
how would you say 'Я бyдy идти' if you wanted to show the beginning of the action, and how would you say it if you wanted to show the end of the action?
>>
>>92112856
Oh, I see. would 당신 be appropriate in the cases? Assuming I don't know his/her name, et cetra.
>>
>>92114027
я пoшeл
я пpишeл
>>
>>92115254
and we don't say "я бyдy идти" or use it very rarely. So use "__я пoдoйдy__"
>>
>>92114921
That should be fine in literary and polite sentences yes
>>
>>92084089
>>92084089
>>92084089
>>92084089
piteous bump

pls help germans
>>
>>92116565
Appreciated
>>
>>92115519
>we don't say "я бyдy идти"
its fine if its not common, I just need to know specifically the future tense way of stating the start and the end of that action
>>
>>92117130
>>92115254
that is

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.