[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I just got stationed out here in lovely Commiefornia, and their gun laws (and the loop holes people have found for those gun laws) have my head spinning.

I would ask for help understanding what I can't own, but I feel it would be easier to find what I can.

I just want a mid to high caliber rifle that will really only be used for killing paper.
>>
>>35415095
i'm not sure, but I think military are exempt from California's fuckery.
>>
>>35415105
Exempt? I had been reading on the laws a while and saw nothing like that. Do you know what parts of the fuckery?
>>
Just buy from the gun store on base. Oh and don't step into a Turner's at all, they are just a bunch of idiots that don't know shit over there.
>>
>>35415139
That would be nice if they weren't closed for an indeterminate amount of time
>>
M1a
>>
File: remington_740_rifle.jpg (11 KB, 450x102)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>35415095
Assault weapons laws apply to semi-auto centerfire rifles with detachable magazines.

No way to get around centerfire. But if the magazine is non-removable (like an M1 Garand or SKS) it's unaffected.
Likewise, rifles that are not semi-automatic such as bolt-action and lever-action repeaters are fine.
Even if it is all three, it is legal so long as it doesn't have a vertical pistol grip, foregrip, flash hider, flare launcher or retracting/folding stock. So for instance a Ruger Mini-14 or a Kel-Tec SU-16 would be legal, as would a Herring MSR or Springfield M1A (the flash hider is commonly substituted for a muzzle brake).
You can also make an AR-15 or AK legal by placing a Kydex wrap around the grip which blocks you from wrapping your hand completely around it, or filling in a thumbhole stock. This is of course provided it has no other prohibited features.
>>
>>35415095
There is a 24 hour hot line for this very situation. The number is 1(800)NO-COMPLY.
>>
File: Kydex_FAL.jpg (375 KB, 1024x768)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>35415182
The reality is that the vast majority of rifles, pistols and shotguns are not affected by California's assault weapon laws and are legal to own.

Of course it really sucks that modern sporting rifles such as the AR-15, FAL, G3, AK, etc. are very popular and are affected. But for the time being there are ways to legally obtain them anyway.

The law does affect pistols and shotguns in a more limited capacity. Mostly automatic pistols can't have barrel threading and semi-auto shotguns can't have folding or adjustable stocks.
>>
>>35415181
>>35415182
And this is all given you stick to magazines of 10 and under correct?

Either way a garand sounds like an appealing option. Especially being MAAHreen it's a bit of history.
>>
>>35415182
>non-removable (like an M1 Garand or SKS)
FYI SKS is removable. The standard come with a small fixed mag yes but it is designed to come off.
>>
>>35415248
if they come for your FALs. i'll buy the one below the wood one.
>>
>>35415248
So does that mean there are almost no limitations on revolvers, pump actions, and bolt actions?
>>
>>35415095
Already a thread on this: >>35410001

>>35415118
No your average Joe GI is not allowed to bring non Californian legal weapons unless they are duty weapons.

So if you are living off base and have a few normal capacity magazines that don't belong to the base armory...you are fucked.

Hell, back when I was in you couldn't even have knives on you.
>>
>>35415139
God damn Turners employees are stupid.
>>
>>35415263
Correct, alternatively magazines that are modified to hold 10 or fewer shots. For instance gun shops routinely sell Magpul, Hexmag and DD AR-15 mags factory blocked to 10 rounds. The blocker plates are hilariously easy to remove.

Garands are pretty sweet. I used to own one, it wasn't really my thing and I like my M1A a lot more, but I definitely see the appeal. Especially since they are usually original historic weapons that still kick ass.
>>35415272
The wording of the law is that a fixed magazine cannot be removed without partial disassembly of the firearm action. This was recently changed due to a court interpretation involving the use of a tool, which allowed for the existence of bullet buttons. They caught on.

On an SKS there is a catch, but it doesn't completely remove the magazine assembly, it simply dumps all the rounds out. It functions as a magazine release if you swap the magazine assembly for a shitty TAPCO mag or something. I must note that there's a subsection of CA AW law that specifically prohibits SKS rifles with detachable mags for some reason, even though by itself you could easily have a featureless SKS with swappable mags.
>>
>>35415307
Pretty much. 10+ shot revolvers are pretty scarce and I suppose you could put a 20 or 30 round mag on a Mossberg MVP if you really wanted to break the law.

There is a roster of approved handguns, it doesn't govern what's legal to own however. It only governs what a dealer can sell to you new. You can buy off roster handguns from private sellers (which must go through a dealer) or via consignment. However due to a fixed supply expect to pay a premium for any off-roster handgun.

Single-shot, 50+ year old (C&R) and single-action revolvers with 4"+ barrels are exempt from the handgun roster completely.
>>
OP. Go talk to Calguns. Don't half ass this shit because it changes every week.
>>
>>35415095
Military here too. Have several guns I didn't register because the statute says "residents" and I'm not a CA resident.

You are not excempt from their laws.

Best bet is just buying a bolt action or something because everything else has been neutered so much. If you are worried about buying illegal gun you can just buy one from a local gun store, however you will be paying out the rear because their prices are ridiculous
>>
>>35415095
Long story short: You can have pretty much any manual-action rifle you want. For semiautos, you can have a Mini-14, an SKS, or an M1A unaltered, or you can get an AR or AK with a kydex wrap around the stock.
>>
File: Easy Way Out.jpg (114 KB, 800x600)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>35415095
>>
>>35415317
>Hell, back when I was in you couldn't even have knives on you.

Which brings up the realistic possibility that you were never “in”, as you put it. California knife laws put no limit on fixed blade knives, other than they have to be open carried. Folding knives of any size can be CC’d.

http://www.knifeup.com/california-knife-and-balisong-law/
>>
>>35415937
>M1A
Needs muzzle brake, M1A with flash hiders are still illegal assault weapons

>SKS
Yugos with the grenade launchers are also assault weapons

But yeah basically this.
>>
File: How it Should look.jpg (51 KB, 800x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>35416021
>>
>>35416027
Not that guy, but the fucky thing are all the possible county and city knife ordinances that could screw you over.
>>
>>35415211
>my nigger
>>
File: woof.jpg (92 KB, 1280x853)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>35416027
No, you can't have a fixed blade on you when in base.

Also yes I'm aware California residents can open carry swords technically.

I tell you what, open carry a kabar when you are not infield training in plain clothes and see what happens.
>>
>>35416021
>>35416033
I admire the enginuity to try and get around the law. But why not just get a mini-14?
>>
>>35416030
Any M1A you find for sale in CA will have Springfield Armory's muzzle brake instead of the standard flash hider. Funny thing is, Springfield made the brake to get around the no flash hiders because flash hiders make the gun more deadly somehow, and it turns out the brake actually noticeably improves accuracy, thereby arguably making the rifle more deadly than it would be with the flash hider.
>>
>>35416089
Because an SCR lets you use AR uppers.
>>
>>35416027
>>35416087
Not much to do with fixed blade laws, but this is the foldable I edc on base
>>
>>35416089
Because AR fanboys get assblasted by the fact that any viable alternative to their raifu exists.
>>
>>35416089
ARs will outshoot Mini-14s as a general rule, and have hundreds of times more aftermarket handguard, barrel, and gas system options.
>>
File: IMG_20171007_203851483.jpg (561 KB, 1594x1469)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>35416117
>forgot image
>>
>>35415095
If SKSs are still legal out there that's probably your best bet at a versatile, fun and cheap to shoot rifle. Be prepared to pay what an American would pay for a high end AR though. If you're just a one and done type of gun owner, that shouldn't matter too much. You can't put a price on your safety. Get a handgun for HD too when you can.
>>
Marines: didnt even make it one post.
>>
>>35416089
AR Mags

AR Upper

AR barrel

AR muzzle devices

AR rails

AR dust cover

dude I could go on forever.

Hey, let's do the Forgotten weapons mud test and see who's rifle survives, an SCR AR-15 or a Mini-14 with that giant space behind the bolt...not to mention it's open top...
>>
>>35415139
this. fuck turners, 45 minute- 2 hour wait time, employees are mostly teenage tacticool mallnija fags that dont know shit, most of the shit is over priced, takes them like 20 minutes to fill out a 4473 and they jew you by making you buy a gun lock for $20 even though your firearm already comes with one, fuck that place.
>>
>>35416155
niggah a sks costs the same everywhere thanks to the internet and that's nowhere near a "high end AR"
>>
File: nice.jpg (11 KB, 204x281)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>35416033
It's like a beautiful, beautiful combination of fudd and mall ninja.

I want one. Even if it's just to confuse everyone.
>>
>>35416155
Eh, 223 and 556 is still cheaper and easier to find in CA, also you can get in trouble with steel case ammo and bi metal tips which most 7.62X39 is...there is a reason why Californians buy up all the PPU 7.62x39

Also SKS's are getting pricey harder to find and usually in bad condition.

Not just for California but in the US in general, we are in the last generation of cheap surplus as all of the WW2, Korea and Vietnam Era guns that weren't full auto are already bought and sold at least twice over.

Mosin nuggets used to be the go to for a sub 100 dollar gun that could be a decent hunting and SHTF rifle, but now you have to be willfully ignorant not to buy a Ruger American which is comes in a variety of domestic calibers and even 7.62x39 and is cheaper than some Mosins these days and have more aftermarket to make them tactical and higher capacity.
>>
>>35416204
You may not believe it, but when just the lowers themselves went for sale, they were really hard to find and sold out because people in non ban states like texas and Georgia wanted a handier bush gun.

New Yorkers and Californians were actually slow to start buying them until recently
>>
>>35415139
Fucking this
>>
>>35416038
Such as???

I've been in California most of my life and never run into anything like that. BTW, I carry a Leatherman on my belt everywhere (even when working as a substitute teacher) adn nobody cared.
>>
>>35415105
Military adheres to state law.
>>
>>35416182
I will never step foot into a Turner's again, all for these reasons.
>>
>>35416261
most people don't care about knives. the regulations that there are are mainly meant to fuck over specific persons ie san francisco has some that only kick in if you're "loitering"
>>
>>35416280
same, also forgot to add that a ppt takes them 1-2 hours. I stick to buying online.
>>
>>35416261
Los Angeles Municipal Code
http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/lamc/municipalcode/chaptervpublicsafetyandprotection/article5firearms-dangerousweapons?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:losangeles_ca_mc$anc=JD_55.10.

>SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED. (Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)

>(a) As used in this section, the term “knife” or “dagger” shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

>(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/lamc/municipalcode/chaptervpublicsafetyandprotection/article5firearms-dangerousweapons?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:losangeles_ca_mc$anc=JD_55.01.
>SEC. 55.01. CONCEALED WEAPONS – PERMIT.

>No person, except a peace officer shall wear or in any manner carry concealed upon his person, any loaded or unloaded gun, pistol or revolver, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon permitted to be carried by law without having, at the same time, actually in his possession, and upon his person an unexpired permit so to do issued by the Board of Police Commissioners.

Los Angeles County Code of Ordinances
https://library.municode.com/ca/los_angeles_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT13PUPEMOWE_DIV8WE_CH13.62CAKNPLVI_13.62.020CAKNDAPLVIPR
>13.62.020 - Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.

>It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger.

t. Anon who's gotten nice Benchmades and Spydercos confiscated by officers and deputies "enforcing" the above (because they probably want it for themselves).
>>
>>35416087
>No, you can't have a fixed blade on you when in base.

Which has nothing to do with state law, and everything to do with command policy.

>tell you what, open carry a kabar

Every hobo in the state does exactly that. Well, kabar knockoffs. I’ve seen it in San Diego, LA, and SF. I see it every day in Eureka. Cops don’t care as long as it’s sheathed and visible.
>>
>>35416462
NYPD is notorious for making anything they can flip open a gravity knife. if they have to throw it like a damn baseball to open it, lel its still a gravity knife :^)
>>
File: 1503374060312.png (133 KB, 346x450)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
I DON'T WANT A FUCKING MONTE CARLO STOCK.

I WANT THE GUN THAT I LLLLLLEEEEGGAAAALLLLLY BOUGHT!!!

WHY DO I HAVE TO SPEND MORE MONEY JUST BECAUSE JERRY BROWN LOVES ANAL SEX!!!!

WHY IS THIS SHIT LEGAL??? SHOULDN'T CALIFORNIA PAY LEGAL GUN OWNERS FOR LAW MODIFICATIONS THEY FUCKING IMPOSE AFTER PEOPLE ALREADY BOUGHT THAT RIFLE?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!
>>
>>35416714
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5xWcV412E

>"The legislature ... ignores whether or not it is constitutional or not. We go ahead and make laws because we're California. We do it anyway."
>>
File: 1504277873825.jpg (4 KB, 240x250)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>35416731

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
>>
>>35416462
>Anon who's gotten nice Benchmades and Spydercos confiscated by officers and deputies "enforcing" the above (because they probably want it for themselves).

Which is why you go with those $25 gas station knives. Cops will ignore you if you’re packing a POS. Until you start waving it around, at which point you’re doomed.
>>
>>35416763
Switched to $25 Kershaws. Learned my lesson.
>>
so other than the 10 round mag limit, i can concealed carry a gen 5 glock 19 or are CCW permits hard to get?
>>
>>35416957
depends on county. in general the farther from the coast you are the higher your chance of getting a ccw. if you're in LA or the SF bay area, don't even bother
>>
File: file.jpg (391 KB, 1200x1600)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>35416957
Entirely depends on how much of an asshole your county sheriff is.
>>
>>35416957
depends on the area someplaces straight up refuse to issue even though the courts ruled its supposed to be shall issue. like sf the bay area or la wont process anything
>>
>>35416462
I've never had a cop so much as suggest they noticed my pocketknife. I've gotten questioned about the Maglight I keep next to the seat in my truck, though.
>>
>>35416957
Carry permits are hard to get in all the counties that have people in them. But, if you're not a criminal, unpermitted CCing is a misdemeanor.
>>
>>35416989
fuck im gonna be in san diego county. that blows.
>>
>>35417132
Fun fact: The Sheriff of San Diego is infamous for being drummed out of the FBI after Ruby Ridge.
>>
>>35417159
what do you mean by drummed out? and does this mean a CCW permit in San Diego is difficult to obtain? im assuming it does
>>
>>35416982
>in general the farther from the coast you are

Not quite. Humboldt is coastal, it’s pretty much shall issue.
>>
>>35417295
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumming_out
>Drumming out is the historical act of being dishonorably dismissed from military service to the sound of a drum. In modern figurative usage, in which the term is sometimes altered to "drub[bing/bed/etc.] out," it may refer to any act of expulsion or dismissal in disgrace.
>>
>>35415095
Just buy em off the street from Mexican narcos
>>
File: 48695.jpg.resized.jpg (30 KB, 500x281)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>35415095
>>
What base anon? I'm in 29 and I knew a couple of people who had illegal ARs (pistol grip stock, 30 round mags, etc) who stored them in a storage unit off base and drove out to nevada to shoot it.
>>
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/health/california-hiv-bill-signed/index.html
>>
>>35418396
Yeah I'm at 29 Palms. I was thinking about doing something similar but that seems like more of a hassle than I'd like

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.