[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1842302342522.jpg (554 KB, 1024x627)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
Just how combat effective is the Japan Self Defense Force? What are their strengths and weaknesses?
>>
>>35457443
They've literally never seen combat. No one knows.
>>
>>35457443
Strengths are counter terror and homeland defence almost completely. Their entire existence is two fold, to aide and protect the state in events of national disaster or anything the police can't handle, and in the event of military attack on Japan to hold out until American reinforcements arrive.
The sdf if pretty pathetic because the US has put sp much effort into limiting their military for no other reason to have their own bases on the islands. Only very very recently was Japan allowed to expand its forces to re include the Rikusentai and other special operations groups but thats about it
The US really dropped the ball lettingg Japans military culture die completely.
The only legitimate upside the self defence forces are they are entirely volunteer based and work really hard to instill morale and sense of purpose sinc etheir budget is too low to actually pay the troops well
>>
They have some of the most expensive small arms of any modern army in the world. Their standard issue rifles and SMGs, licensed AR-18 and Uzi, cost thousands of dollars.
>>
File: 1507007961025.png (99 KB, 375x206)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>35457450
Didn't they get ambushed in Afghanistan one time and were never allowed to leave the base after that?
>>
>>35457606
The reason they're so expensive is the tiny amount being produced. However, in addition to that, they want the factories sitting by with everything ready to make more in a hurry if they need to. It's just a was to subsidize their military industrial complex so they can build up very quickly if war were to come. This is true of all Japanese equipment.
>>
>>35457609
They were never in 'stan
>>
>>35457526
>The US really dropped the ball lettingg Japans military culture die completely.

Well transitioning them from genocidal maniacs into a modern fighting force is no easy feat.

Their equipment is pretty up to date, just that their tolerance for conflict is naturally low due to being occupied after losing mankind's greatest war so far.

They did lose the war afterall. It's actually Godsend that their post war treatment and reconstruction was relatively easy compared to other axis allies. i.e. not getting their nation split into two.
>>
>>35457526
>The US really dropped the ball lettingg Japans military culture die completely.
Given Japanese people's tendency to jump on their leaders' bandwagons without a second thought and often unyielding xenophobia I'd wager their military culture is only "dead" until it becomes relevant again. They've had 3, maybe 4 generations without war or conflict. That does lead to a different mindset.
>>
>>35457654
The nips probably call it tradition or some shit, but it's just corruption. The government contracted companies that didn't have capabilities to properly manufacture firearms. The guns are expensive as fuck and have a bunch of issues because the government paid for the massive set up costs.
>>
>>35457887
In their defense Japanese guns have always been like that.
>>
>>35457887
It's not tradition or anything, it's a policy the Japs have pursued ever since WW2. They strive to be self-sufficient because the blockade was so debilitating. For example, food production. They want to produce enough food on their islands that they don't have to trade for any. The arms industry is the same. They want to have as much domestic capacity for building as possible.
>>
>>35457887
>The nips probably call it tradition or some shit, but it's just corruption. The government contracted companies that didn't have capabilities to properly manufacture firearms.

This

It costs them 2k USD for a licensed Sig p220 copy.

That's even more than what civies pay.
>>
They literally exist only to buy time for American to arrive. Just irregular, non-auxiliary, citizenry in America could bring a nation to its knees. Like, honestly, how does Japan even defend itself? Police can act as auxiliaries, sure, but the Japanese homeland is lost without America.
>>
>>35458095
>but the Japanese homeland is lost without America.

Then again, what is the strategic worth of resourceless Japanese islands?

For the US it's just a giant aircraft carrier.
>>
File: Japan 03.jpg (105 KB, 1024x682)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>
File: Japan.jpg (1.7 MB, 2048x1403)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>
>>35457609
participating in that war would have literally been unconstitutional for japan so i doubt they were ever there

its the jSDf for a reason. the SD is for Self Defense.

>>35458159
not everything is about military prowess

the importance of those sorts of islands lies in territorial rights, and therefore, the right to control trade in the area, more room to exercise, and choking out anyone else who wants to do anything in the area

its why china kept erecting sea fortresses and had to be told to stop. they forts were just shitty .50 emplacements, but they extended china's legal reach beyond the traditional 200mi international waters line
>>
File: Japan 02.jpg (2.28 MB, 2500x1664)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>
>danger close is 1100 m
>cannot, by doctrine, move and shoot
>>
File: 1472680415035.jpg (316 KB, 1800x1200)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>
>>35458202
>>35458190
they have such cool gear. why are east asian armies so A E S T H E T I C ?
>>
>>35457443
The JMSDF is top tier. Its airforce is also fairly good. Its doctrine is defending the homeland. That's about it.
>>
>>35458206
>the importance of those sorts of islands lies in territorial rights, and therefore, the right to control trade in the area, more room to exercise, and choking out anyone else who wants to do anything in the area

In essence, an indirect extension of US hegemony like an aircraft carrier.
>>
>>35458229
I know. I like it, I just posted my Japanese camo pic collection
>>
off topic question but do modern day soldiers wear ear protection in combat?
If not, dont their ears just get fucked once they get into the shit ?
>>
>>35457712
Were in Iraq for like five minutes though.
>>
>>35458234
>In essence, an indirect extension of US hegemony like an aircraft carrier.
literally incorrect because the territory held by an aircraft carrier, in legal terms, is only the carrier and its decks herself. an island or other permanent fixture still grants you the traditional 200mi and control of law (i.e. MONOPOLY OF FORCE) in that area.
>>
>>35458240
it's not even the camo. i find myself more attracted to the sick guns, the messenger bags, and general layout of their stuff.

the only bad bit is velcro epaulets. fuck velcro.
>>
>>35458268
I never did. And yes your ears get completely fucked. You have to yell at the top of your lungs to the guy next to you because you’re all temporarily deaf.
>>
>>35458328
Guess that makes sense, it would be retarded to wear earplugs and not hear your pal scream at you to do something or get your head down etc

thanks for your response
>>
>>35458281
>literally incorrect

Relax.

It's more of a metaphorical comparison, not a literal/legal one.
>>
File: 1483419151706.jpg (611 KB, 1440x960)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>35457443
Pros: Agile, low resource need, animu propaganda

Cons: Their infantry are all light infantry.
>>
>>35458356
>It's more of a metaphorical comparison,
but the metaphor even fails because the point of owning those islands isn't force projection in terms of physical military strength by way of the gunand missile, it's force projection in terms legal strength by way of court and judge
>>
File: FFTA.jpg (17 KB, 400x475)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>35458373
>strength by way of court and judge
Looks like your trip to Ivalice is over.
>>
>>35458365
>Cons: Their infantry are all light infantry.
That's objectively false. They have mechanized forces. The entire Northern Army (which is really division sized) is a mechanized formation, and they have others spread throughout the rest of their forces.
>>
>>35457443
They still do Banzai charges. No joke. THEY. STILL. DO. BANZAI. CHARGES.
>>
>>35458477
So do the fucking british. And canadian doctrine is basically the same level of "charge the fucker" aggression, but remembering that rifles exist.
>>
>>35458496
No, mate. You don't understand. There was a few years ago a tripfag here who was stationed in Japan and he confirmed to us that in one exercise, the Japanese playing Bluefor against the Marines OPFOR did a banzai charge against a machinegun position and got wiped the fuck out during the exercise.
>>
>>35458449
I'm doing a really bad job of making a joke that they're all small.
>>
until the last 10 years. the JMSDF was probably the best navy in the pacific that wasn't the US Navy. from what I;ve been told by my ex navy friend I met at yokosuka. their sailors are very serious and competent. excellent submarines. their strength is anti submarine warfare. destroyers are more or less copies of american ships. they use aegis.

the jasdf is sufficient but their airplanes are nearly antiquated in comparison to what China is producing now and what the US has. though they are working on a homebrew 5th gen fighter now. they have competent aerospace industry too.

the jgsdf engineer battallion that was on my case, camp zama, seemed to be good soldiers. though all their NCOs and officers seem to be oldman/dad age types that serious, stoic, and i'm getting to old for this. the lower enlisted can do their jobs but i don't think the gravity of their duty has sunken in yet. the JGSDF has SPAAGs and a neat but not quiet full size MBT. their service rifle is probably the purest ar-18 clone.

JSDF would probably make China pay dearly for every gain they make.

Japan has a space program and a plutonium producing nuclear power program. so they could have a warhead on a ballistic missile in 6-12 months. trying to conquer the land conventionally would be a headache. as japan is basically dense urban areas surrounded by forested mountains. the JGSDF could make things very painful for a foreign occupier. not to mention the civil order problem for the occupier. every metro area they take, they'll have to feed and police. unless they want tens of millions of rioting starving people and the warcrimes aftwards.

a protracted ground conflict on home soil would be demographic disaster. most of their population is 40-75, and the 0-18 is very small.
>>
>>35458526
>tripfag on 4chan
That's even worse than anecdotal evidence, bud.
>>
>>35458568
>unless they want tens of millions of rioting starving people and the warcrimes aftwards.
That's exactly what the Chinese want. Decade after decade bitching and moaning incessantly about muh war crimes, and the rape of Nanjing, they created a population brainwashed from childhood into thinking that they're bound to get payback someday, and this kind of rationale is very dangerous.
>>
>>35458526
>a tripfag here who was stationed in Japan
What a source.

The bongs used bayonet charges in Afghanistan, btw.
>>
>>35458603
it would be counter productive. you genocide the japanese and eventually the entire world has stopped trading with out and all the major powers are lined up to pound your east coast into rubble. not even russia would side with you.
>>
>>35458159
Remember that America has started wars over foreign investments
America gives zero fucks about natural resources, but has a hard on for industry and a chance to buy stocks
Japan feeds the ever living fuck out American industry at a rate that Korea cries themselves to sleep wishing they could make as much money
Hell one hand grenade in a Toshiba workshop and nukes will go flying in every direction to protect American corporate interests
>>
>>35458568
>destroyers are more or less copies of american ships
This widely varies. They have some top tier destroyers, many of which do have AEGIS. Then they have a lot of smaller destroyers which do not, and are second rate ships from a long time ago, but they're still workable as missile and ASW platforms.
>>
>>35458634
>AEGIS
im not willing to look things up. What is this and why should I care?

t. broken canadian
>>
>>35458621
Yeah, I read about the occasion and it was justified. They didn't bayonet charge into a machine gun's nest and got wiped out in the process.
>>
>>35458656
>They didn't bayonet charge into a machine gun's nest and got wiped out in the process.
Good thing it was during an exercise where you can slot in a junior officer to learn the proper place for a bayonet charge!
>>
>>35458648
Aegis missile system. It's an anti-air and anti-ballistic missile defense for surface fleets against anti-ship missiles, cruise missiles and SRBMs.
>>
>>35458671
Sounds fancy. I think even canadian frigates have that under some other name, on top of CWIS chainguns. I see no reason why the japs wouldn't have at least a couple of newer ships with it.
>>
>>35457443
wasnt there a bunch of videos of their vehicles breaking down during exercises?
>>
>>35458696
it was a bunch of videos of just a few vehicles
>>
>>35458648
AEGIS is a radar/fire control network that the USN developed, and is widely considered the best in the world. Having it is a big deal, and adds a lot to the defensive capabilities of the ship and fleet it's in. It combines all the resources of all the sensors and puts them into a highly advanced program to figure out how to shoot shit out of the sky in an optimal way.

Not many ships in the world have it. The USN is the main user, with only a few other nations having it. Japan is one of them. It's a big deal.
>>
>>35458206
Pretty sure they were there for humanitarian reasons. Building roads, schools, hospitals, ect.
>>
>>35458671
Aegis Combat System, and the ballistic missile defense portion is slightly different. It's a specialized version that's only been put on a few ships.
>>
>>35458273
They were just there to see the historic sites and sample the exquisite cuisine of such a culture-rich land
>>
>>35458213
The red scarf makes it look like a kojima design.
>>
Japan sent a few years in Ali AL Salem Kuwait with a combat engineer and c130 unit. They are long gone but the hanger with a giant 30 foot japenise flag on it is still there housing our fleet of spookies when they need maintenance.
>>
>>35457887
>>35458035
It's unfortunate but that's the cost of maintaining some semblance of a defense industry if you can't export anything. If it's not lucrative you're not going to have a defense industry which is clearly not the way to go.
>>
>>35458717
>>35458734
wait, its ringing a bell now. is it a fancy networked data sharing system for weapons radars and shit? like how an EW-One-Oh-Whatever plane feeds targeting data back to the warship for its missiles? like, say, feeding a carrier's automated collected data to a frigate on the outside of a screen, so the frigate's big mass of CWIS can be fed by the carrier's strong radar and planes rather than the gun's own rather weak and slow sensors.

>>35458755
kojima is a FUCKING HACK but shijikawa and whats-his-name actually took cues from the jsdf and real life swat teams of the world, so the jsdf looking like MGS shit is probably just from MGS1-3 mostly getting their military knowledge from the JSDF and Tokyo PD
>>
>>35458696
it was a firepower show. embarrassing but a learning moment.
>>
>>35458692
The point of AEGIS is that all the ships, land and air assets are interlinked into one network capable of detecting and engaging targets.

Canada is neither part of the network nor operates enough assets themselves to have anything to close it.

Having some equipment that usually constitutes a piece of the AEGIS network and saying "we got some of those" is missing the point.
>>
>>35458666

In all likelihood the japs were probably bored silly and wanted to pull the piss out of the marines. Japs suicide charging against marine gun emplacements is just one of those special bonds our two countries have that no other country can understand. Im sure everyone involved thought it was great fun and had fun up until the jap officer involved got the square peg up his round hole for his antics.
>>
File: 1478121778141.jpg (345 KB, 2048x1360)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>35458010
Is relying almost entirely on domestically made goods a bad thing now?
>>
>>35458268
I read a few reports saying that at least the marines are looking to adopt electronic hearing protection that is still effective at directional detection.
>>
>>35458916
I never implied as such. It makes sense for Japan, as they have the wealth to allow for the extra expenditure and are concerned about another crippling blockade.
>>
>>35458802
>is it a fancy networked data sharing system for weapons radars and shit?
Essentially.

Also, stop using the term CIWS incorrectly. It doesn't mean what you think it means. It refers to a single specific weapon.
>>
>>35458941
They're also testing out equipping an entire battalion with suppressors.
>>
>>35458624
Current world order/stability will not last forever
A new cycle of strife will arrive, it always does
>>
>>35458993
>It refers to a single specific weapon.
I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a brand name. But I do mean a "Close-In Weapon System", basically a gun pod designed and employed solely to shoot down incoming projectiles.
>>
>>35458916
>>35458224
Nice to see that Japan still actually has a few tough looking mofos in their military, at least.
>>
>>35458568
Their aircraft don't seem that old. F-15s and F-16 clones aren't that different from what everyone else is using, and they're buying F-35s.

There's also an awful lot of F-4s, but their main purpose seems to be to just fire ASMs.
>>
>>35457443
strength: bushido warriors
weakness: none
>>
>>35458993
>Also, stop using the term CIWS incorrectly. It doesn't mean what you think it means. It refers to a single specific weapon.
No it doesn't. The Phalanx CIWS refers to a single weapon, but CIWS acronym refers to a whole category of weapons, such as the AK-630.
>>
>>35458626
Damn fuckin right, gooks beware.
>>
>>35458273
Five minutes at the UN camp maybe.
>>
>>35457443
They'd probably still resort to banzai charges.
>>
>>35459036
It's still incorrect, as those are not the main weapon for shooting down missiles. Instead, those are literally the last line of defense. The final layer out of all layers. The primary weapon is missiles. Hell, even the deck gun has longer engagement ranges.

>>35459100
It often is shorthanded as such, but it's a misnomer.
>>
File: 1507753769798.jpg (128 KB, 1024x768)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>35457443
It's kawaii as fuck, to start.
>>
>>35458273
several years. they did civil affairs, training, engineering, and mine sweeping.

they were in the safe SE part of iraq. where we let the brits, poles, and other "coalition of the willing" hang around.

the komatsu LAV is what the hmmwv's replacement should be. japan had something resembling a light mrap before the US military did.
>>
>>35459049
their F-15 and F-16s are all old and haven't been upgraded. gulf war stuff.
>>
File: 1455909136144.jpg (3.75 MB, 3504x2336)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
As a defense force they seem to be pretty good, though even with a hypothetical war in the region I'm not sure how useful they'd be since they don't do offensive operations.
>>
>>35459803
all they have to do is keep the airfields and ports safe for the US to operate from.
>>
>>35457450
they were in iraq.
>>
>>35459762
>the komatsu LAV is what the hmmwv's replacement should be.
Nah, JLTV is quite frankly the best military truck in the world. US army did good.
>>
File: 1441078576453.jpg (399 KB, 1600x1079)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
>>35459775
So it's on par with the best China has then? Doesn't seem so bad then.
>>
File: F-15J IRST.jpg (229 KB, 1944x1296)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>35459775
The F-2 is hardly old in terms of combat aircraft standards, and some of their F-15J's have been upgraded with IRST pimples. Obviously its not the shiniest, newest stuff in the world, but that's why they've begun acquiring F-35's.
>>
>>35459861
F-35 should make Japan hard as fuck. Just sell it as an augmented reality jet, make it akin to Gundams. Japs will order a million.

Get on it Lockheed.
>>
File: untitled.png (1.3 MB, 820x1016)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>35459803
>>
>>35459861
heck, the F-2 isn't even really an F-16 anyways.
>>
File: 1393579971040.jpg (509 KB, 2048x1365)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>35459880
>>
>>35459861
doesn't even have conformal tanks on.

the f-2 has an early aesa radar. but the composite wings give them problems with cracking. slightly bigger, slight more powerful, slightly smaller rcs, but still some how disappointing compared to a modern f-16
>>
>>35459879
japs actually hate anime for what it's done to their country both internally and externally

many blame The Lost Decade on anime alone
>>
>>35459904
so you mean middle aged japs.
>>
File: 1478167100865.jpg (438 KB, 1280x853)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
>>35459882
>>
>>35459903
>doesn't even have conformal tanks on.
Why would they have conformal tanks when the JASDF is geared around defending Japanese airspace?
>>
>>35458916
Making weapons domestically isn't a bad thing at all. The issue is that the contracts went out to companies that didn't have the facilities or expertise to make them. The contracts could've gone out to Mitsubishi or Toyota or any competent domestic mass manufacturer of stamped/machines parts instead of to a bearing company.
>>
>>35459904
the lost decade is because their bubble economy was built on nothing but bad loans. then the government's refusal to let the yen inflate and discharge the debt. all because they wanted to protect people's savings and overseas' buying power. which has only led to stagnation and periods of bad deflation.

now korea and china have eating japan's niche as electronics and car exporter.
>>
File: 1442179557585.jpg (265 KB, 1280x853)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>35459921
>>
>>35459904
The older generation, sure. But, like all things they are losing ground and the younger generation is gaining.

The plane is effective as hell, the older gen should already be in LMs camp on that alone.
>>
>>35459938
I said nothing of why the lost decade happened, just that japs themselves dislike anime and some blame the lost decade on anime. the point of the post was not japanese econimcs but japanese hatred of anime. maybe you should learn to fucking read, yankee
>>
File: 1442163554357.jpg (454 KB, 1024x662)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>35459941
>>
>>35459922
because you need long loiter times to do CAP and Japan is a chain of islands thousands of miles long.
>>
>>35459903
THICCCCC F-15 UGGGHHH NEED THICCER.
>>
File: t3_56jmmu.jpg (3.38 MB, 3813x2542)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>35459948
>>
>>35459949
They can just use normal fuel pods for that
>>
>>35459948
you know. I really wish I had asked some JGSDF soldiers what it is going to be like for them to never touch a real gun after the military. all they can have, after much pain, is skeet guns and single shot rifles.
>>
File: 1437608667451.jpg (457 KB, 1296x864)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
>>35459959
>>
Japanese soldiers are better than Philippinos in conflict. They are not insubordinate and are not cowards like Philippinos. I'd rather invade China with 1000 Japs than 100000 Philippinos.
>>
>>35459947
What a dumb ass blanket statement, most japs don't really give a shit about anime unless its some kind of childhood nostalgia show like Crayon Shin-chan or Doraemon.
Obviously they think otaku are a bunch of gross degenerates, but anime itself is like whatever.
>>
File: 1473573539977.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>35459921
>ywn have a Howa Type 89
>tfw we can't even pull a Taiwan and have the uppers shipped to the US

God fucking damn it. Why do I always want the pointless snowflake guns that I'll never have?
>>
>>35459986
philippines like brazil on steroids. slums, jungles, gangs, poverty, muslim separatists, the president encouraging mass slaughter of drug users and dealers.
>>
File: JGSDF Operator.jpg (112 KB, 960x700)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>35459975
Shit, may have fucked that up. Those might be airsofters.
>>35459986
What do Flips have to do with this?
>>
>>35459990
$3000 AR18

I want one too.
>>
File: 1404231460590.jpg (115 KB, 1024x683)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>35460003
>>
>>35459990
You want them because they are snowflakes anon and for little other reason.
>>
>>35459990
>why do i want what i can't have?
desu
>>
File: seu8BjS.jpg (888 KB, 3629x2419)
888 KB
888 KB JPG
>>35460013
>>
File: 20161101_163646.jpg (2.1 MB, 4032x3024)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>go through my deployment photos
>despite seeing the jap tanks and SPAAGs almost daily I found I don't have a single pic of them son of a bitch
Their little Humvee equivalents seemed pretty good and the SPAAGs looked neat. Saw an MLRS too which I think was the only time in my life I saw one in person. There shit seems pretty neat and pretty new, and they have a fetish of putting as much foliage as they can on their vehicles. Im sure they have it but I never saw a jap wear a flak jacket
>>
>>35459892
>tfw you will never asian squat with a Type 89 along side your kinsmen
God damn dude, its like the one fucking time I wish I wasn't born in America
>>
>>35459968
Knowing those guys they'd shrug and point at Japans illustrious beer vending machines, grab an Asahi for the rain ride to next town over to go to a soap land
Fuck I miss Japan
>>
>>35457443
According to propaganda, they can kick the shit out of a Rome tier Empire.
>>
File: uhhhh.png (300 KB, 1907x1271)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
>>35459959
>>
>>35460966
Hollywood_whitewashing.png
>>
File: sorry_im_drunk.png (275 KB, 341x384)
275 KB
275 KB PNG
>>35460966
>>
File: matsumoto tasty drink.gif (1.86 MB, 294x233)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB GIF
>>35459880
looks like matsumoto from Downtown
>>
File: Its Time.jpg (123 KB, 610x741)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>35460046
>>
File: JGSDF with CG.jpg (3.41 MB, 4608x3072)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
>>35461005
>>
File: 20150716001025_0.jpg (183 KB, 650x563)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>35459823
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Iraq_Reconstruction_and_Support_Group
>Protection for the unit was provided primarily by Australian troops,[2][18] as the Japanese soldiers were prohibited from engaging Iraqi guerrillas unless they came under fire.[19] However, a small number of Japanese Special Forces Group, Western Army Infantry Regiment, and 1st Airborne Brigade personnel were deployed to provide protection. Mortars and rockets were lobbed at the Japanese camp several times, causing no damage or injuries.

Lucky them, being chaperoned around by some big, strong Australian men.
>>
>>35457774
>genocidal maniacs
>implying that's a bad thing
And Japan did have a considerably modern fighting force. They almost completley conquered Asia.
>>
>>35461129
If by completely you mean getting bogged down in China.
>>
>>35461140
There's a lot of fucking chinks, brah. Takes awhile to get er done
>>
>>35461168
It's unlikely Japan could have took the constant attrition and maintained supply lines for too long.
>>
Reminder that China is STILL afraid of Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP8Pcr4gwxw
>>
>>35461097
>the virgin gook
>the CHAD aussie
>>
File: weeblevel.jpg (156 KB, 720x616)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>35461176
If it weren't for those westerners and their pesky embargoes they would have gotten away with it too!
>>
Shiranui that was just launched.

a video of some recent JMSDF activity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8MSIx2eR3U
>>
>>35461257
Sometimes I wonder what their navymen think of Kancolle. Supposedly there are some old IJN vets who play, must be nice to have a bit of patriotic military pride even if it's been somewhat desecrated with cute anime girls
>>
JGSDF Fuji Combined Firepower Exercise 2017

>Type 87 Self propelled twin 35mm Anti aircraft gun.
>Type 74 MBT old MBT.
>Type 90 MBT Japan's top MBT.
>Type 10 MBT Japan's next MBT.
>Type 16 8x8 wheeled Maneuver Combat Vehicle with a 105mm gun.
>AAV7A1 Amphibious assault vehicle.
>>
File: UH-60J.jpg (115 KB, 800x533)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>35461281

Fuck I forgot the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5DGEViI71s
>>
>>35461234
I mean, kamikazes were objectively good tactics, at least upon their introduction. I'm the guy you're responding to, just so it's clear I'm not being a blind weeb here. The Americans might have learned to fight them better by the end, but no way to tell for certain what we would think had Downfall gone through.

My reasoning: loss ratios and pilot training. Even with well trained pilots, flying normal strike missions against American fleets was near enough suicide. You'd be unlikely to achieve any hits, and you're more than likely going to get splashed. The losses for damage done was horrendous. Amusingly kamikazes, despite being suicide attacks, actually had less losses for the damage inflicted, so a superior loss ratio. Furthermore, with the scant few trained pilots Japan had left, they'd never be able to inflict any significant amount of damage. It's a difficult and time consuming task to teach someone how to bomb a moving target correctly. It also takes a lot of fuel. It's far simpler to teach someone how to fly into something. Japan had neither time nor fuel, so honestly, going to kamikaze tactics was the best choice they had.
>>
File: JGSDF V-22 Osprey.jpg (88 KB, 1296x864)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Japan recently got some Ospreys.
>>
File: atago_jmsdf.png (553 KB, 464x801)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
>>35461257
Well, most of JMSDF ships carry names of IJN ships, so you can expect that KanColle is pretty popular among seamen, especially on certain ships.
Also, I guess it helps with enlistment.
>>
File: JASDF F-4 Oct.jpg (223 KB, 2048x1364)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
I love this camo scheme
>>
>>35458268
Depends on the mission and the unit. Some units had peltor electronic hearing protection. Those that didn't would generally use hearing pro while in vehicles and aircraft, but would take them out if they had to do a dismounted patrol in the bush so you can hear shit while you move. When it came to doing shit in cities and villages, I always wore hearing protection as shooting in confined spaces like that means you won't hear shit anyway, so might as well protect the hearing for later in life.
>>
>>35461355
I thought they stopped the suicide pilot program after WW2 ended?
>>
What does /k/ think of the X-2 so far?
>>
Don't know much about planes anything interesting going on underneath?
>>
What is the thing on the back above the engines?
>>
>>35461355
>>35461611

The Marines have been using Ospreys for more then a decade right? They must be reliable enough now...
>>
>>35461613
Too soon to tell. Personally, I suspect it will be a light fighter type, devoted entirely to air to air combat, specifically in the merge. Japan so badly wants a dedicated fighter that can keep on tangling with the Chinks no matter how many MiG-21 clones come at it.
>>35461616
Not the real aircraft, so not representative of the final product.
>>35461620
Recovery parachute. Since it's a prototype, shit could happen, so then the parachute would deploy, and allow the pilot to punch out. And limit the damage to the aircraft.
>>
File: JMSDF US-2 Seaplane p1.jpg (172 KB, 1200x707)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
How many countries still use seaplanes?
>>
File: U-2 Boat Plane.jpg (1.79 MB, 2400x1602)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>35461652
>>
File: JASDF F-4 p1.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1280)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
How can one camouflage pattern be so A E S T H E T I C ?
>>
>>35461630
Oh, they're reliable alright. They reliably kill everyone on-board.
>>
>>35461630
They are actually very reliable at the moment.
>>
>>
>>35459762
I would love to find one of these on the surplus market but it will never happen.
>>
>>35461706
how does osprey cope with ash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8TGl7wQfxM
>>
So what are Jap soldiers like?
>>
>>35461273
think of it like a more interactive version of nose-art girls or warship deitification
>>
>>35459880
This guy fucks
>>
>>35460988
>i feel it
>>
>>35457443

Culture is massively important to a militaries capability. Just as much as competent command and weapons systems. Given that Japan is a nation were people who sell fucking ice cream are supposed to take pride in their work and people quite often kill themselves before asking for a day off work because of the shame what do you think this says for them in terms of

>willingness to stand under punnishment
>Ability to utilize weapons systems as trained.
>etc

The Japs weren't a fucking pushover in WWII. The sheer numbers and technology disparity was mind blowing but they fell back on their strengths in the end and if it wasn't for the nukes it would have taken a long time to grind out a decsion. My assumption would be that your average jap is probably going to be a fine soldier if he ever has to defend his country. And he has has some FEARSOMELY useful defensive terrain.

Have some thoughts on how culture effects your military. Alternate title "sandniggers gonna sandnig". http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars
>>
>>35458206
>participating in that war would have literally been unconstitutional for japan so i doubt they were ever there
Was, their ROE and article 9 recently got lightened a bit to include defending allies. So basically if the US or a coalition their in gets attacked, they're now free to open fire in defense of them
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 299x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>35457443
Super effective.

They have mechs, powered armor, heavy weapons and space platforms and can call upon multiple different special police units that have similar capabilites.

>Pic related: Kyoto's most recent patrol officer exosuit
>>
>>35463232
That's the article where the Egyptian Abrams company CO confiscated all the manuals because he didn't want his soldiers to know more about the tank than him, right?
>>
>>35458224
Fucking hell that NCO looks like he belongs in the Philippine invasion.
>>
>>35459968
>skeet guns and single shot rifles
I didn't even know they could have that
>>
>>35463289

one of many examples of how culture can fuck you up.

The Japanese basically expect professionalism and duty of everyone. The sandnigs basically live in a culture of "you are a fucking pleb / you are not manly. But I am the most manly aristrocratic man. Look at my wifes and baubles" and have a military history that goes

>ALALAALALLAALALALALAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA
>Oh this is hard
>Shady fucking negotiated end to war preserving dignity of leading generals
>>
>>35459975
nigga
these ain't real JDSF
these are airsoft players
>holes in pistol mags
>different kinds of goggles
>Multicam NATO fag player with black helmet on the left
>US ARMY wannabes in the back
>>
>>35463326
>JDSF
*JSDF
my bad
>>
>>35463326
>Calling someone out 11 hours after he already admitted his mistake
>>
>>35459968
Thu can actually have some bolt actions and certain browning sporter semi autos. Start reading up on the guides hunters there post in their blogs.
>>
>>35463290
>he thinks wannabe tough Japs will do well against battle hardened Flips who are busy fighting terrorists for decades
>>
>>35461097
Cool bullseye target patches.
>>
File: IMG_4712.png (2.55 MB, 1898x2604)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB PNG
>>35461273
>Supposedly there are some old IJN vets who play, must be nice to have a bit of patriotic military pride even if it's been somewhat desecrated with cute anime girls
I doubt that anon
>>35461355
Oh hey, I had one of those fly over my home. Shit literally rattled my windows. I got a video of a second one of another flying over my neighbor's home
>>
>>35463459
woops, disregard the doubt, my reading comprehension is off
>>
>>35458268
Yes.
But ear protection is a big topic.
On the high end, there is padding + active noise suppression: Which basically makes you 100% deaf
On low end, ear plugs only damped sound, meaning its still 100% audible, and different brands and material compositions dampen different regions the audible spectrum.
And you would know this if you have tried different qualities of ear plugs.

And between those extremes, there is a lot of stuff. Most armies have been experimenting with earplug + communication units, since ages ago.
But its a mess since best option will be plugs with speakers in them, and getting all the R&D done for proper shit will not be rushed in peace time.
>>
I did a gig with their equivalent of west point back in the day as a cadet.

Tldr: their defensive tactics are fucking ridiculous in regards to depth and finesse. Their offensive capabilities are limited to frontal assault

Longer version: defensively in a squad they'll set teams with different responsibilities, some guys are digging straight up the ho chi Minh tunnels pt2, others are creating traps, a few pull security/recon the area, and final group is doing personal camouflage- They go full improvised ghillie suit mode.

Offensively it is literally frontal assault, bonsai, every time. If it isn't bonsai, it's "sneaky frontal assault". I talked about battle drill 1A, everyone nodded, blew their minds. Come execution, frontal assault anyways.
Finally forced a squad into 1A and everyone's mind was blown by how effective it was during a movement to contact.
>"too fancy to actually use during REAL combat lol"
>"it'll be too chaotic to try and control that"
They continue to frontal assault to this day....
>>
>>35458883
How great would that be?
>Grandpappy spent his youth machine gunning banzai'ing Japs in the South Pacific
>70 years later his grandson/great grandson is machine gunning Japs on Okinawa in a training exercise.
>>35463373
I was talking about the one in '42 you fucking sperg.
>>
>>35458883
>went to Okinawa with jap cadets
>they're super awkward initially even though we've been bros for awhile now
>just openly tell them to calm the fuck down, it's the past and we're here together to appreciate our nations
>everything goes light hearted groom there out
>see the beach
>"anonsan, go down to beach and pretend to run up it and we'll pretend to shoot you!"
>.....
>>
>>35461355
Honestly, that three tone paint scheme is pretty sexy.
>>
>>35463274
That happened this year. They have never been deployed in the middle east before this year.
>>
>>35463772
>They have never been deployed in the middle east before this year.
Why would you say something like that when there's proof contrary right in this thread?
>>35461097
>>
>>35463232
Arabs have a pretty good track record when it comes to fucking people up in wars.
It's not a cultural thing as much as it is a failure of the nation at large. The nations are mere imitations of functioning systems, hence the militaries can't do shit, either.

If you lobbed Germans, Austrians, Hungarians or nations close to them into a war right now, they'd also get probed by a competent military, or a tough opponent like radicalised militia. Doesn't matter how many world wars these people caused and how good their culture lends itself to leading, following orders and what not.
>>
File: 1506111317350.webm (1.83 MB, 1280x720)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB WEBM
>>35457443
>What are their strengths

Hairy combat caterpillars spawning ATGM teams. Do not mess with them
>>
>>35460003
>What do Flips have to do with this?
Worst soldiers in international conflicts. Indians are better.
>>
>>35458802
Yeah, Yoji Shinkawa is great. Those XOF troopers and the Rhodie merc group in MGSV were fucking A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>35463807
Just because he is completely ignorant about this topic doesn't make his view less valid.

Why waste time learning facts or understanding context when you can just say your opinion instead?
>>
>>35463946
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-syria-crisis-peacekeepers-un-insight/how-u-n-troops-defied-orders-opened-fire-and-escaped-syrian-rebels-idUSKBN0H724T20140912

stay cucked, pajeet
>>
>>35463498
Plugfones. Look them up. They're like 15 bucks a pair. I used them for racing.

Of course using a cheap, reliable, existing product available in mass produced numbers cuts out 2 billion dollars of DARPA r/d and the sweet 500% markup contract for the supplier.
>>
>>35461097
>"Prrease Austrarrians, protect us from the mean Iraqis!"

What would their grand-fathers think of them?

How many times did he fantasize about screaming "this is for Changi! you Nip bastards!" and fragging them?
>>
>>35460013
>Gun not in camo
>No white face mask to keep himself warm
cmon now
>>
>>35458190
>>35458202
>>35458213
>>35458224
Where can I get this camo?
>>
>>35464124
It's as if normal, well adjusted people didn't harbor manslaughter tendencies.
Yeah, they are a weird bunch.
>>
>>35464397
https://www.sandgraf.jp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=220_237&products_id=987
>>
>>35459373
>tfw no qt Japanese attack helicopter pilot waifu
>>
>>35461000
https://youtu.be/wr6H7W9Z_oE
>>
>>35464420
>Not wanting to avenge your slain ancestors

Shiggy
>>
>>35464695
The way heritage works, some of my ancestors have most definitely slain some other of my ancestors.

I'd end u having to shoot one of each for about like 200 different ethnic groups and finish it all off by shooting myself.
Not worth the effort, I think. Screw the ancestors, shouldn't have gotten a reason to be avenged in the first place.
>>
File: rock.jpg (255 KB, 884x600)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>35457450
I wish Japan volunteered in Vietnam like South Korea did. South Korean marines in Vietnam were basically WW2 Imperial Japan soldiers v 2.0
>>
>>35458783
As I understand it the Japanese are now allowed to export weapons. They’ve bid on some submarine contracts.

I’d really like to see a greater degree of cooperation between Japan and Worst Korea. It would be a pragmatic move that would help counter Chinese ambitions in the Western Pacific.
>>
>>35464746
>As I understand it the Japanese are now allowed to export weapons
and still no type 89s for us
>>
>>35458202
>Where ever I go, I know I must TENNOHIKO BANSAI!!!!
>>
>>35461706
Everything about this picture is perfect. Especially the Rip It
>>
>>35464743
It was only recently that Japanese law was changed to allow JSDF troops to deploy outside Japan.
>>
>>35461005
>The time...has come. I will remind these filthy CHINESE FUCKING SHITS that Nippon is not to be fucked with. TENNOHIKO BANZAI
>>
File: 1491161932287.jpg (13 KB, 332x332)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>35464794
I think big daddy America, desperate for good troops (Heck, America PAID South Korea to send their marines), would allow their pet dog Japan to deploy their forces temporarily.
>>
>>35459986

We take scalps and gut people with machetes, does that count for anything?
>>
>>35461706
Why do people still shitpost about the Osprey
It's likely trying to say that the F-35 costs 200mil a piece. It's blatantly false and two seconds in Google would prove the person saying it not just wrong, but a resident of fucking opposite world.

Literally every other whirlybird the navy has crashes more often than the osprey.
>>
>>35464695
>yes, goyim, kill your friend because of some dead people
>>
>>35463905
>raughs
>>
Google 'Japanese military training causalities' The numbers don't add-up unless they are concealing causalities of SpecOp missions
>>
>>35464916
What do you mean?
>>
>>35464530
Oh cool, I'm assuming these are replicas, last I checked they couldn't export their camo to other countries for some damn reason.
>>
>>35457609

No, they never been to innastan but for about two years they were innarock, with actual ground troops, as a humanitarian mission providing water as part of the reconstruction efforts. Though, they primarily had to be protected by Australian troops...since they could not fire unless fired upon. The jasdf stuck around for two after the jgsdf but ended up leaving after Japanese high courts deemed that the deployment was unconstitutional.
>>
>>35459941
that clean job is gonna be horrendous
>>
>>35465156
Really doubt that, this is only some sand and water. You can clean them off with a brush or a piece of cloth.
This shit is always much easier than cleaning off gunpowder.
>>
>>35458224
That dude in the front is straight out of an old samurai movie
>>
>>35461613
it's a test mule for the technologies and designs that will go into the eventual fighter. basically a practice run at making a native fighter. the actual production aircraft will be a completely fresh design.
>>
>>35459921
The handle looks really small.

>>35459990
I never get people like you, it looks like the most generic firearm ever. Why do you care about it?
>>
>>35463905
>did that patch of tall grass just move?

t. sgt ching chang of the PLA army.
>>
>>35457443
The JMSDF is fairly good, probably, barring obvious capability gaps they legally can't fill. They do regular exercises with the 7th Fleet and have high quality equipment all around. The JASDF has decent aircraft and training but little capability outside defending their own ADIZ. The JGSDF is a competent disaster response force but their expeditionary capability (outside their airborne brigades) is nil.

One of the main problems for the JSDF is retention; they're legally just civil servants so they can leave for a better job whenever they want. This means talented/experienced personnel don't tend to stay in very long when Nintendo or Toyota come around with much better offers.
>>
>>35458297
Those messenger bags hold the soldiers NBC clothing and gas mask
>>
>>35459762
The notion that coalition forces from other countries than the US were left in the safe parts of Afghanistan is not correct

http://icasualties.org/oef/ByProvince.aspx

https://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/images/Afgh-Coalition-casualties.jpg
>>
>>35464021
>surrendering to Muslims
>listening to some Pajeet """general"""
(lol
>>
File: 1408636719120.jpg (43 KB, 413x427)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>35461257
So why are these DDs and not DDGs? Same goes for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akizuki-class_destroyer_%282010%29, they got cells and carry Sparrows and ASROC. I guess it's just the intended use, not the actual capabilities?
>>
>>35457443
Fucking Norks mining /K/ for military intelligence again. Know your OPSEC /K/omrades.
>>
>>35458224
How the fuck does Japan have better camo than the fucking bullshit ARPAT that we had to use in Trashcanistan
>>
>>35465297
He said Iraq. Can you read?
>>
>>35461232
Japanese aren’t gooks, they’re nips. If your going to be a racist POS at least get your terms straight.
>>
>>35465564
>much racism
>>>/leftypol/
>>
>>35465617
It's like calling a nigger a spic.

I'm more offended by your inability to distinguish which term is correct then by you actually using it.
>>
>>35465617
if you saw a jap call you a honkey you'd shit your Y's friendo
>>
>>35465061
technically yes although they are build to the same standards (and maybe even same company) as the JGSDF does not actually surplus their gear
>>
>>35463746
Yep. Exactly the same colour scheme as seagulls and albatross.
>>
File: JGSDF and PLA.jpg (290 KB, 1280x853)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
PLA and JSDF joint exercise, I believe this was in Mongolia. For some reason the Japs could not bring their own weapons so they used AKs.
>>
>>35467159
>For some reason the Japs could not bring their own weapons
Well that's weird.
>>
>>35464695
It was Churchill's fuck up with Force Z that led to the fall of Singapore. Churchill. Fucking up Aussies since Gallipoli.
>>
>>35462955
I don't even like FSS but I would rock that on my plane.
>>
File: webjapanese-p-1.jpg (110 KB, 2200x1080)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Who knows, but they have some pretty fucking good equipment. Pic related, Boeing btfo
>>
>>35459373
>the last thing an poor chinese conscript sees
>>
well if you watched GATE you'd think they were all Delta tier operators
>>
>>35461706
I rember that fucking soda the dune coon kids were always trying to sell us them. They would also throw the empty cans at us. One day a salty lcpl filled one with sand and chucked it right in to the face of those little sand niggers.
>>
>>35467754
post the webms
>>
With all that money and japan still uses those ugly 90's vest
>>
>>35467159
lmao this is like seeing a unicorn
>>
>>35465388
They would be DDGs in USN parlance but the JMSDF only uses the 'G' for their AEGIS equipped ships.
>>
>>35458233
This.

It's the strongest of any Asian country, even better than china, mostly because china only has old soviet migs and a broken aircraft carrier. Plus it's backed by the US. Japs also take everything to the extreme, ever play mario kart online with them? You get your ass handed to you.
>>
>>35469104
Japs infantrymen are still outdated
>>
File: 1421627496703.jpg (149 KB, 1000x740)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>35469155
>>
>>35467159
>>35467255
It's not uncommon for exercises if the countries didn't clear the legal/logistical hurdles to bring their weapons and they end up using the host countries' weapons.

Happens a lot, even with the US.
>>
capt hindsight here. anyone in jap land get in trouble for those f-2s getting flooded in the tsunami?
>>
>>35469508
Just look at their vest anon
>>
>>35469789
What about them?
>>
>>35464021
Just goes to show never to trust Philippinos. Fucking insubordinates.
>>
>>35457443
Their Rangers are kind of meh. The Fencers are badass but I wouldn't want to be one. Considering that they can't keep their Wing Divers from getting caught in webs, I'd say they're poorly trained. Their Air Raiders' personal weapons are garbage, but their logistic support just can't be beat, and some of their higher-tier artillery is awe-inspiring.
You would think they'd be more effective against giant insects, since that's their primary mission. Overall they're pretty terrible.
>>
File: 1497069950339.jpg (247 KB, 1024x683)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>35463946
>Worst soldiers in international conflicts

You the most experienced and battle hardened soldiers with the worst equipment in SEA?

>>35472124
//The Filipino peacekeepers defied the rebels because they did not want to meet the same fate of the Fijian peacekeepers who were taken hostage after they surrendered their firearms.//

https://www.rappler.com/nation/67726-filipino-peacekeepers-evacuated-golan-heights-united-nations

>surrendering meaning compromising your arms with the rebels

stay mad pajeet,
>>
>>35459986
An army which had no experience from the past years
vs
an army that had been in conflict with insurgents, reds, terrorists since 1950s

really?
>>
>>35457654
>It's just a was to subsidize their military industrial complex so they can build up very quickly if war were to come
That's pretty reasonable I guess, you never know when norks gonna nork or SCS heats up. Best have shit ready to spin up if needed.
>>
>>35457774
>It's actually Godsend that their post war treatment and reconstruction was relatively easy compared to other axis allies. i.e. not getting their nation split into two
That's just the result of a unique conflict of interests between USA and USSR. If western allies had of been quicker into Berlin, it would have been less messy. Or the other way I guess, though that would have sucked more for Germany and maybe made the cold war last longer or continue even now.
>>
>>35457526
>The US really dropped the ball lettingg Japans military culture die completely
Their military culture caused a shit-tonne of trouble, best to let it die completely.

If not, a lingering seed would eventually regrow into a movement that make the current Nanjing-denialists look mild.
>>
>>35464560
>waifu
This is Japan. That's the male pilot in cosplay.
>>
>>35472277
>implying nanjing happened
I bet you think the holocaust happened too
>>
>>35472262
Or if the US suddenly backs out. Imagine we voted in an isolationist president. It's not hard to imagine, there has historically been massive isolationist thoughts for hundreds of years, even today. In that case, Japan is left high and dry, with nobody to really rely on. They'd need to spin up REAL quick.
>>
File: 20110326135057e3a.jpg (180 KB, 1152x1728)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>
>>35472369
This is what im talking about!! Now just let the rest of the japs get that gear
>>
>>35472083
Most of them are shit from the 90's
>>
>>35465423
Aparently not. Completely read that as Afghanistan in my head
>>
File: 20110406004842b43.jpg (492 KB, 1728x1152)
492 KB
492 KB JPG
>>
>>35459373
>Not even the military is safe from cancer

kill me
>>
>>35472396
To be fair, 90's shit was designed with fighting actual wars in mind. Anything developed post-2001 has been intended for use by dudes jacking it in a desert while they call in airstrikes on pickups.
>>
>>35458206
>participating in that war would have literally been unconstitutional for japan so i doubt they were ever there
Technically speaking it also was for Germany but you don' see us whining about it
>>
>>35458202
At first I thought he was wearing Polish camo, it's pretty similar.
>>
>>35458159
Thats sad do the american bases have enough persenel to even make a good defensive againt any threats?

I wonder if usa would run away or do fuck all if shit did hit the fan like the time in Georgia cos if shit does hit the fan there it would be against china and russia who else is a threat to jaoan i that area

But i did hear japs have the best navy in asia and the third best navy in the world and there army is ranked in the top 10 in the world
>>
>>35458626
But isnt japanese dying due to buying us loans?

The population is literally dying also i hear china had over taken Japanese buying usd
>>
>>35459803
I think the defence shit is only name only

After ww2 japan was nerfed to shit the exsisting officers hated it and hated usa and its influence. Now they do stuff ti improve there army. Like they are not allowed to have some kind of war ship but they built it and called it somehing else.

They aslo have staeted to sell weapons which usa forbid them
>>
>>35472968
The US is actively rolling back it's stranglehold on the Japanese Military Industrial Complex. The Nips will be a capable fighting force in the next fifteen years, enough to give the South Korean Military a run for it's money.
>>
>>35457443
It's biggest weakness by far is power projection, they're (at least in theory) an excellent local defense force but you can't count on them to conduct operations on their own far away from their territory.

>>35472968
>Like they are not allowed to have some kind of war ship but they built it and called it somehing else.

It was a helicopter carrier, they officially classify it as a "helicopter destroyer". In general the US is actually supportive of Japan expanding its military again, we don't see them as a threat to us and they make it easier to manage China/NK.

>>35473016
This. It started about 20 years ago when Mitsubishi starting building Japan's fighter jets.
>>
Who got nerfed more after WW2, JSDF or Bundeswehr?
>>
>>35461616
>>35461613
>>35461620
Vaporware, basically
>>
>>35457443
The MSDF and ASDF, from what I have heard, are quite good and professional. I've heard fewer good things about the GSDF.
>>
>>35458202
>No bayonet on MG
What happened to you, Japan ?
>>
File: 1505283559636m.jpg (196 KB, 1024x678)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>35463905
>when you get your tactics from MGS
>>
>>35458220
Joking or..?
>>
i dunno but they need to send some of those howa rifles over here
>>
>>354582most of us use electronic peltors or equivalent. Unless your unit is a buncha fags that won't let you. Electronic peltors let you plug your comms in so extra plus if your not a fobbit
>>
>>35472124
how much of a bootlicking faggot do you have to be to follow a streetshitting general's order to surrender to the enemy?
https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2017/9/20/trigger-happy-autonomous-and-disobedient-nordbat-2-and-mission-command-in-bosnia
Oh right, since the UN only picks the most cucked of """"generals"""", I guess it was India's designated turn at bat
>>
>>35476405
not even the swedes were that cucked lmao
>>
File: 1506528790287.gif (1.63 MB, 659x609)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB GIF
>>35464743
wouldn't have ended well, Koreans and the Vietnamese don't really care for each other, but they both hate Japs. The poor nips would've been hit extra hard since all the shit they pulled in ww2
>>
>>35461311
have you considered that they couldn't replace those planes though? Hundreds of hours building a plane for it to be guaranteed lost in an hour isn't too smart for a nation with next to no steel
>>
>>35463591
how else will they use their grorious 100000000000x folded nippon steel
>>
File: intese disgust.jpg (2 KB, 125x112)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>35464857
extra-legal killings of unarmed and handcuffed heroin addicts don't count, faggot
>>
>>35467850
rip-its were in almost every class I supply system since 2005 over-seas, no reason to buy from haj.
>>
>>35472244
It's all about discipline, green troops who take orders are better than veterans who won't
>>
>>35476755
Actually, that's not quite correct. They could replace those aircraft. They had twelve thousand aircraft left over, half of them devoted entirely to kamikazes because they had twice as many planes as pilots. But have you considered the comparative effects? Imagine if you took all that metal. You could make another hundred rifles which won't accomplish anything in strategic terms. But wait, you can't, because you don't have the production lines open and are already producing to capacity. Or you could make a plane that could crash into a transport ship and destroy all sorts of equipment. Plus, the goal is to hit the goods while they're on the ocean before they've landed. Hopefully to convince America to fuck off, Japan isn't worth the losses. Kill the Americans off the beaches so they don't invade the mainland in the first place.

You really need to look at the actual effects here. If one in 15 aircraft hit their targets, a rate much lower than they had at Okinawa or in the Philippines, with 6,000 aircraft dedicated to kamikaze work, you're getting 400 hits on ships. That's massive.
>>
>>35476932
>you're getting 400 hits on ships. That's massive.
>>
>>35472369
Is this legit or airsoft? Reverse search is pulling up a Special Boarding Unit but I wasn't aware the Japs used M4s. Normally I'm not anal about this but given that Jap airsofters are rather autistic about their gear I have to second-guess.
>>
>>35461611
Ospreys feed exclusively on marines, everyone else is safe.
>>
>>35457443
nice try, Kim Jong Un.
>>
>>35476993
>targeting warships with massive armor and defensive armament instead of going after unarmored and barely armed transports filled with the shit they need to land on your homeland, oftentimes explosive or flammable, or filled with soldiers
Nigga please
>>
>>35458347
you can hear people with earplugs
>>
>>35477049
>massive armor
At that spot of the hull, it had 1.5 inches of "armor", which is just regular ass hull plate as found on any boat of the time.
>>
>>35472619
>Designed with fighting actual wars
>Japan
>Sand niggers wars
So thats it? You sound like a stingy japanese
>>
>>35469104
>strongest of any asian country

Stop being a fucking weeb. They rely on America for defense. China can stomp them silly.
>>
>>35477603
Anon, that's hitting it square on the belt, 4.5" thick. The Sussex is a fucking heavy cruiser. No, that's not regular ass hull plate.
>>
>>35477796
Most of the belt is internal on other bulkheads, this thing had the old Treaty armor layout designed to save weight for using on bigger guns. The outside skin is literally that thin and it withstood it without buckling.
>>
If Japan would amend their laws to sell their weapons, would it sell? Who would buy nip weapons? What kind of things could they sell competitively?
>>
File: 1507077007162.png (694 KB, 720x720)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
>>35477819
Well, Japan just sold six nuclear reactors and a shinkansen to India so the market for Japanese weapons-building technologies - factories, designs, technology, etc... - is likely fairly good in terms of supporting the indigenous Indian weapons industries.
>>
>>35463905
dougal from magic roundabout just got conscripted
>>
>>35464743
ROK marine were fucking savages. My grandpa used to tell stories about how they chopped of female VC's breast to terrorize villages
>>
>>35461005
>Terr me your secrets, shoverr.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.