[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Survival Kit.jpg (196 KB, 1120x500)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
Would I be able to survive with this?
>>
Depends, do you have the skills to survive with that equipment? Its an ok base i guess, a tent and sleepingbag would help a lot and more water. Always more water.
>>
>>35461136
no, because you would run out of food and water.
>>
>>35461136
>Would I be able to survive with this?
You have no clothes, so I don't think you would. You don't seem to have any food either, so you'd be off to really rough start.
That knife is shit, replace it.
You should have a sewing kit.
A sleeping bag is a must unless you specifically want to waste time building extra shelter.
Must have more space for water. That 1l bottle is nowhere enough.

I guess it technically depends on what exactly you mean by "survive", but you're not off to a good start.
>>
>>35461223
You collect and boil it in the bottle and cook your ramen in the cup using the firesteel.
>>
>>35461136
no.

Two things you should keep in mind, are the 4 basic needs, and the 5 Cs.

The 4 needs are are:
Shelter, water, fire, and food. In that order.
The 5 Cs are:
Cutting, Combustion, Container, Cover, Cordage.

Your kit is missing the cover part - at the absolute minimum, you should have a mylar blanket, possibly some waterproof material as well.
Check out videos on how to make a super shelter.

Just a ferro rod is asking for trouble - have some emergency tinder to go with it. The feathersticks that youtubers are so fond of making take a spark pretty well, but pack some dry grill tinder, cotton pads, or whatever, in a waterproof container.

The knife is a little too big, and cumbersome - if you are going to use a blade that's 4.5''+ long, you should have a secondary knife, otherwise stick to 3-4 inches, 1/8'' thick.

Flashlight is a luxury item - if you have to have a luxury item, you'd be better of with a solar charger for your electronic devices (phone in particular).

A couple of ziplock plastic bags, and a large, heavy-duty trash bag don't take up a lot of space and weight, but come in very handy.
>>
>>35461228
What knife to replace with?
>>
>>35461269
Something bigger you can actually use as a survival tool, instead of something better suitable for opening boxes and letters.
>>
>>35461260
>The knife is a little too big, and cumbersome
>having a knife capable of cutting and chopping things is cumbersome
>Flashlight is a luxury item
>having light is a luxury item
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: 20170927_174115.jpg (3.04 MB, 4128x2322)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB JPG
>>35461269
if you are dead-set on esee, try the esee 3hm (modified handle).

Otherwise anything that follows the general specs of:
3-4 inch blade; straight back, drop point or spear point
1/8 inch thick, full flat grind (distal taper optional) or scandi.
Comfortable handle that doesn't have a handguard, or deep, pseudo-ergonomic finger grooves (pic related as an example).

Izula 2 will work as a kit/small belt knife as well. Something along those lines.
>>
File: 20170927_174242.jpg (2.98 MB, 4128x2322)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>35461278
calm down, now, mr mall ninja.

I use knives regularly - 3-4 inches is ideal. The RAT5 is a little too big, too thick, and too heavy to make a good main blade, UNLESS you have a second, smaller blade to go with it.

Also, that handle is not a good design. Not if you like your ribs. This is the largest knife I will comfortably use as a main belt knife - above that, I'll just strap a kukri/hawk to my backpack.

4.5 inch blade, 1/8'' thick (see a pattern here?).

And yes - a small flashlight is a luxury item - anything battery-powered is. It may, or may not have the juice to work when you need it. I won't deny it's useful, nor tell you to NOT carry it, but it's nowhere near "essential"
>>
>>35461318
>calm down, now, mr mall ninja.
Oh sod off. You're not even making sense with your insults. What do mall ninjas have to do with having a knife capable of handling a wide range of tasks and serious use.
>I use knives regularly
For what? This is not an explanation of any sorts. A cook uses knifes regularly, is he an authority on what is good in a survival situation?
>This is the largest knife I will comfortably use as a main belt knife
Give us some actual reasoning behind your choices, because right now you're sounding like a fudd with
>well I never needed anything more than muh bolt-action hunting rifle, so why would you?
>I'll just strap a kukri/hawk to my backpack.
And now you have two knives fulfilling the role that a single multipurpose knife could handle. Extra weight from tools is not beneficial in a survival situation.
>Also, that handle is not a good design. Not if you like your ribs
Why are you talking about stabbing yourself? What do you do with your knives? Juggling?
>It may, or may not have the juice to work when you need it. I won't deny it's useful, nor tell you to NOT carry it, but it's nowhere near "essential"
Where do you live? Around here at this time of year it gets dark at 18:00. That's a lot of hours you're going to either be spending in the dark, fumbling around, or just sitting by a fire. Having a flashlight at hand is imperative if you ever happen to drop something, or just need to make your way in the dark, or even signal others. We are talking about survival here, after all.
>>
>>35461136

Minuteman 1 Person Emergency Kit
$299
>>
>>35461418
No
>>
File: minuteman-ii-.jpg (127 KB, 1000x1000)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
I would go for the 2 person version, but dump the tp. $354.76

(1) Kelty Backpack
(1) Waterproof Document Protector
Food & Water (35 Pieces):

(2) 3600 Datrex Calorie Bar
(30) 4.227 ounce Datrex Water Pouches
(2) 1-Gallon Collapsible Water Container
(1) Potable Aqua - Water Purification Tablets with PA Plus
Warmth & Shelter (11 Pieces):

(1) Aluminized Coated Tube Tent
(2) Aluminized Full Body Sleeping Bag
(2) Emergency Adult Poncho
(6) 8 Hour Hand Warmers
Light & Communication (1 Piece):

(1) Kaito Radio, Flashlight, & Cell Phone Charger
Emergency Tools (6 Pieces):

(1) 50 feet of 550 Paracord - black
(1) 7" Knife with Fire Starter
(1) Duct Tape - 10 YARDS
(1) Folding Shovel
(2) Carabiner
Cooking & Food Preparation (28 Pieces):
(2) 7-IN-1 Multi-Functional Camping Tool (HOBO tool)
(1) Flat-Fold Stove
(24) Fuel Tablets for Flat Fold Stove
(1) Aluminum Mess Kit - Comes with eight-ounce cup, six-inch deep dish plate, 7.5-inch frying pan, and 16-ounce pot with lid
First Aid (109 Pieces):

(1) 107 Piece Outdoor First-Aid Kit - SOFT CASE
(2) 3M N95 Particulate Respirator
Sanitation & Hygeine (9 Pieces):

(2) Toothbrush
(2) Toothpaste
(2) Bar of soap
(2) Hand Sanitizer
(1) Roll of Toilet Paper
>>
>>35461440
>$350

Can't I buy half that at the dollar store?
>>
File: ultimate-bug-out-bag.jpg (271 KB, 1280x1024)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>35461424
Why...
- Anglo Arms Rambo survival knife
- Anglo Arms machete
- Austrian ex military water flask
- BCB trekker lifesaver first aid pack
- BCB compact fishing kit
- NEW Canadian c3 gas mask & filter
- Feit electronic 500LED Torch
- 3 x French Military mess tins
- 8 x hexamine solid fuel tablets
- Hexamine solid fuel cooker
- Heavy duty camo tarp
- Highlander olive survival bag
- Highlander Trekker hammock
- Folding saw
- 4 boxes of waterproof matches
- Kombat UK 40l Molle Bag
- Kombat UK fire starting kit
- Compass
- Tactical tomahawk
- 50 x water purification tablets
- Pro Force survival wire saw
- Sawyer mini water filter
- 2 x sharpening stones
- Survival Mirror
- Turboflame Lighter
- UST survival poncho
- Waterproof rucksack liner
- Wind up solar powered torch
- Fixed blade deluxe hunting knife, Wood handle (With sheath)
- 100ft 550 7 strand paracord
- Beyond the beaten track 24hr ration box
£267.30
>>
>>35461440
>hand warmers
>pots and pans like you're fucking Samvais Gamgi
>a fucking field shovel
>sawtoothed memeknife
>3M N95 Particulate Respirator

Just build your own kit, man. Look up some guides, cross-check the information and get to work.
>>
File: bug-out-bag.jpg (1.5 MB, 3300x2550)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>35461450
Dollar store, depends, some of there stuff is doggy, but yeah that's a good option.
See what the pro's put in their Kits , and acquire it separately from cheaper sources.
>>
>>35461456
This >>35461464
is why
Build your own kit. Half the shit in these premade bags are garbage.
>>35461464
>Samvais Gamgi
Are you me? I think this every time I see pots and pans in a kit
>>
File: maxes BUB.jpg (348 KB, 1280x720)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
OK lets start with a bag, 37L $200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4mCSTXIPo
>>
>>35461346
>Oh sod off. You're not even making sense with your insults. What do mall ninjas have to do with having a knife capable of handling a wide range of tasks and serious use.

handling a wide range of tasks is what any good 3-4 inch blade will do. You're getting too hung up on "muh multipurpose survival knife".

>Give us some actual reasoning behind your choices.

4.5 inch blade is plenty for all the cutting you might need, and it's light enough and comfortable enough to still use for anything you might want to do. It can chop (not like "chop down a tree, or chop through a huge ass log, but you get the idea).

>Why are you talking about stabbing yourself? What do you do with your knives? Juggling?

no - cutting. And one of the most efficient ways to clear a lot of material from wood, is to use the reverse chest pull, and let your back muscles do the heavy lifting. But for that you don't want a "skullcrusher" handle.

>Having a flashlight at hand is imperative

then what are you going to do if your flashlight dies? I'll say again - it's a very useful item, but not one you should rely on, and at the very least, you should have some means of powering it when/if the pabbery dies.
>>
>>35461495
a BOB is not a survival kit. The point of a bob, is to get you from point A to point B as efficiently, as possible.
>>
File: 11824.jpg (39 KB, 473x800)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>35461571
> It can chop (not like "chop down a tree, or chop through a huge ass log, but you get the idea).
Can it handle a proper batoning? Is the knife long enough to actually have surface to hit? Is the blade thick and strong enough to handle it?
Carrying an additional large blade for the sole purpose of chopping things is unsuitable for a non-static survival situation. Of course if you're bugging in, or have a proper camp setup, you might as well just bring an axe.
>then what are you going to do if your flashlight dies?
Be in the same situation as you would be at the very start.
>but not one you should rely on
When there's no other source of light, there's nothing else to rely on.
>you should have some means of powering it when/if the pabbery dies.
That I agree on entirely. A single flashlight with a couple batteries is still better than nothing and will last you a long time, so long as you have light discipline and don't overuse it.

>>35461579
I'd say it depends entirely on your personal plans. Your BOB should have the equipment necessary to get out and get to where you want to be, but also to allow you to survive and sustain yourself if you can't get there. Need to have contingencies.
>>
File: 69810.jpg (463 KB, 3038x1379)
463 KB
463 KB JPG
>>35461579
Um k good point me out to a GOOD survival kit, very interested in these. would like to have several on my Yacht.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAK5fomPYNo
>>
>>35461625
Honestly if you can afford a yacht like that just pack it with a shitload of supplies and buy yourself like a private island in the middle of fucking nowhere. Just pack your literal safe harbor full of supplies in the middle of nowhere where (almost) literally nobody knows where it is. You can wait for a pretty fucking long time for things to cool down and with enough greenhouses and solar power almost indefinitely.
>>
>>35461625

That's a lot of fuck you money right there
>>
>>35461607
>Can it handle a proper batoning?

easily. This is LT Wright O1 we're talking about. I've indiscriminately chopped through a bunch of planks a while back (long story), and still paper-cutting-with-no-effort sharp afterwards.

>Be in the same situation as you would be at the very start.

and by that virtue, you should not come down to ""be fucked, unless your flashlight is working" - ergo, it is not a necesity. Useful (very much so), but not "omg i'm dead without it" necessary.

I think we agree that a flashlight is a very useful item, and better to have any flashlight, than none at all, but it's more of an edc item for me, than something to put in a survival kit.

>>35461607
>Your BOB should have the equipment necessary to get out and get to where you want to be, but also to allow you to survive and sustain yourself if you can't get there. Need to have contingencies.
>>35461625
>Um k good point me out to a GOOD survival kit

What I mean is - the priorities are a bit different with a BOB, than with a survival kit.

In a bugout bag:

1. clothes. You may have to leave quickly, and you may not be properly dressed. Having that extra layer can make a world of difference, and your clothes are the first line of defense against the elements.
2. shelter - if you are traveling, you don't want to waste your time and energy making a shelter from scratch by scavenging stuff - bring something that will let you set up a shelter (and take it down) quicly and with little effort.
3. food and water. You DON'T want to go hunting/fishing for food. Bring some supplies - a couple of bottles of water, something you can eat cold (may not be able to cook) and something you can cook (a hot meal goes a long way).
4. something to start a fire.
5. flashlight. Despite what I said earlier about it not being an essential "survival" item, you might have to operate (travel even) in poor light conditions. Have a flashlight, and the means to power it.
6. all the "extras"
>>
>>35461682
Off topic, I had my eye on this but the Pinoy's grabbed it for $1.6m, it cost $50mil to build, had Ice breaking ability's, beach land able Swat hull (3 times as stable as mono hull)
Auctioned off by Alaskan Gov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqdYxrY-oAg
>>
>>35461607
>>35461625
>>35461710

continued.

a survival kit is something to help you secure the basics you need to survive, so the 4 needs and 5 Cs mentioned earlier apply.

A good knife, a reliable (and redundant) method of starting a fire, a container (one you can cook in, preferably), something to cover yourself with, and some cordage (bank line has the best "value", unless you want to strip the paracord, which is overkill in many cases).
>>
>>35461241
that wasn't the question. He asked if he could survive with what is in the picture, and because there is no food or water he would die
>>
>>35461241
Ramen isn’t food.
>>
>>35461456
Dump the gas mask. It serves no useful purpose. If you’re in an urban setting, carry a half mask respirator. They’re built to higher standards. Dump the machete and the tactical tomahawk. Replace them with an Estwing roofing hatchet. Dump the wire saw and one sharpening stone. Consider dumping the folding saw, to be replaced with an 18” bowsaw blade and hardware. Build your own frame out of branches, as needed.
>>
File: hultaforce-320315.jpg (37 KB, 1200x495)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>35463030
>Dump the machete and the tactical tomahawk. Replace them with an Estwing roofing hatchet. Dump the wire saw and one sharpening stone. Consider dumping the folding saw, to be replaced with an 18” bowsaw blade and hardware.
I'd agree with dumping all of that, but rather than replacing it with rubbish, just get a proper splitting maul.
At this point with all that rubbish it would be about as heavy if not lighter, it would be easier to maintain, and it would effectively serve the same purpose.
Saws are generally useless in the wild unless you're a weak twink.
>>
>>35463835
>Unless you're a weak twink
Lmao
>>
File: 1312566368600.gif (395 KB, 500x288)
395 KB
395 KB GIF
>>35461136
>Would I be able to survive with this?
I don't see why not. I don't own any of those items and I'm doing just fine.
>>
>>35461136
>infinite ammo bandanna
>no guns

Yer fucked, OP
>>
>>35461136

The stuff you have there isn't bad. I'd want to add a small light tarp and 15 feet of rope, because you would then have shelter, raincover and many other options. Plus a glass of water cleansing pills since in an emergency you cannot count on accessing drinkable water, and a couple of heavy duty work gloves since in an emergency you would be likely to encounter a lot of heavy broken things. And the best thing is that these things are low cost, low weight, low volume.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.