[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1510667892253.jpg (32 KB, 469x311)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
be me, be talking with ex military/marines/etc. guys in class about how they were required to carry a mag in but not have one in the chamber. their arguement, thats how accidents happen, my arguement is i havent had one because i use basic fucking safety practice, wear a 9mm all day when not at class.

ok folks so here is my question to all of /k/

which is better.

first arguements are non chambered has "less chance of accidental fire" and chambered means "you dont have to stop and as threat to wait while you rack your slide, even though bad guy wont wait"

personally... CHAMBERED why because im a competent adult who has trigger discipline to avoid those misfire accidents the other side believes in, and I actually both practice safety as well as live in a place that says it is not self defense if i had time to rack a slide, not to mention realize that whatever thug attacks me wont wait while i load the gun i just pulled on him in defense when seconds count
>>
>>35832343
One of their arguments is probably "more things get in the trigger guard than just fingers", no matter your trigger discipline.
This is stopped by a manual safety and chambered, which anyone who isn't taken by the muh operating meme will use.
>>
>>35832343
>Hammered
chambered
>Trigger Safety
Not chambered
>>
>>35832343
Military doctrine should have no bearing on personal defense carry practices.

In the military, your primary weapon is a rifle that dangles from you neck most of the time. Unless your on a foot patrol with a high possibility of ambush, then keeping a round chambered is more of a liability than anything.
>>
>>35832343
Not having to rack a slide is best, but if it takes carrying without one in the chamber to keep your pistol on you, that's still better than it being at home when you need it.
>>
>>35832343
Personally I think the draw is more important then one in the camber or not. If you carry without one in the chamber I'm gunna assume you practiced racking the slide while drawing the gun... But as I said all that shit is completely useless if you cant get your gun out and on target in a repeatable and fast manner. No use if you have one in the pipe and fumble the draw or worse drop the gun.
>>
>>35832343
I can think of very few realistic scenarios where the 1/4 second it takes to chamber a round is going to be the difference, whereas I can think of plenty of daily handling scenarios where a chambered round could accidentally go off, but maybe you're perfect OP, idk. Once you have a misfire, you own it
>>
>>35832548
hhhuuuuuuwhuuuttttt?
>Armed Robbery
>Assualt
Most scnearios where YOU are being targeted and need a gun will require you to NEED to gun ASAP. You literally need both hands just to start fighting, sounds like a dumb idea
>>
What kind of retards were you talking to? Any time I was carrying a weapon deployed(even on FOB) all my weapons had a round in the chamber. The only time we didn't chamber rounds is in aircraft.
>>
I used to be #notchambered, but then I started thinking about use cases and I switched to #chambered.
Maybe I want to be able to shoot through my holster or pocket. #Chambered provides more options and less possibility of a foul up once the decision to deploy ordinance has been made.
>>
>>35832343

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM

*Faint meme cheeky beeky music plays in the background*
>>
>>35832343
>talking with ex military/marines/etc. guys in class about how they were required to carry a mag in but not have one in the chamber. their arguement

their argument means nothing, they were required to carry that way according to their command

they're simply regurgitating what military doctrine told them when in truth military doctrine is meant to apply to dumb as rocks enlistees and draftees
>>
>>35833345
College is a lot like this too. As soon as somebody starts talking about what they learned in some class or what their instructor said, you know they are completely full of shit. If you look closely you can probably even see it leaking out of their hind orifice.
>>
>>35832343
On deployment we only chambered out on foot patrols, but in vehicles we were unchambered and on the FOB we were no mag in weapon.
But that was all up to leadership.

On a personal note at home I keep rifles unchambered but chamber handguns when I carry.

>>35833274
Thats pretty awesome holster even has an ejection port so you can push through with a chambered gun without jamming it up.
>>
>>35832442
This.

Add to that the fact that a military exercise is generally going to consist of several (or more) soldiers who can still be ready in a very rapid period of time if targeted, whereas a self defense scenario may be over with one bullet fired and who gets to the trigger pull first wins.

The single biggest risk of death by gunshot during training or maneuvers remains ND's. Implementing any method that reduces this is smart, particularly when you're depending on a whole lotta young men to very strictly depend on their training while under unusual stress to keep from fatally fucking up their mission and their comrades.
>>
>>35833481
Only basic level classes though. Once people start getting into their majors in their third and fourth year classes that's when the actual in-depth lessons are taught. Basic "Politics 101" or "Economics 101" are just to give you a good understanding of a topic so you can at least understand what someone who is actually educated in those fields is saying. That's the idea behind liberal education anyway. Broad understanding.

Note: liberal =/= American politics liberal.
>>
>>35832435
Wut?
>>
>>35835557
If you're carrying a hammered fired pistol, you can chamber it and use the thumb safety without issue.
If you're carrying something like a M&P or Glock, don't carry it chambered because the safety can be actuated without your meaning to.
Really not that hard to understand.
>>
File: Lead-Paint-Can-004.jpg (2.14 MB, 3648x2736)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>why because im a competent adult who has trigger discipline to avoid those misfire accidents the other side believes in, and I actually both practice safety

Welcome to the thought process of basically every fucker ever who has ended up with a bad ND on their hands. That you type like a fifteen year old paint muncher doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
>>
Reminder that in the military, there are a number of different weapon readiness states dependent on threat level and area. So for example a patrol base in a safe area may only require sentries and gate guards to have loaded weapons, vs a forward harbour area with high threat may require everyone to have a magazine in and for helmets and weapon to be carried at all times.
Regardless, anytime you leave on a patrol youll do a make ready drill, i.e chamber a round and otherwise make sure youre ready to rock n roll, so its not like youre actually walking around without one in the chamber; its more because, as someone said above, if you dont need one in the chamber (i.e significant threat level) then its just more risk of some mong slotting himself or his buddy by mistake.
>>
The Air Force requires all deployed personnel armed with pistols to have one in the chamber regardless of task.
>>
>>35832548
Wow guess your thinking capacity is pretty limited but thats exoected for someone who doesnt carry +1
https://youtu.be/rVPiic-ELoM
>>
>>35835763
Do you understand how Glocks work?
Hint: there’s no safety to be actuated.
Glocks are like revolvers, a long trigger pull makes it go bang.
All law enforcement carry Glocks with a round chambered.
Really not hard to understand.
>>
>>35832343

military standpoint

round in chamber with non-positive safety means dropping or slamming the gun may cause it to fire if there is something wrong with the gun. this is also determined based on threat level. civilians do not really care, since they are rarely doing anything where gun could get banged or dropped also >>35832435

if the safety just stops the trigger from pulling, it does nothing to stop the gun from firing, so it is safer to not chamber. if the safety physically inhibits the function of the firing pin, it is safe to carry round in chamber
>>
>>35832548
>whacko jumps on you (or he's within arm's reach)
>have to fend him off
>you aren't an octopus
>you can't rack the slide on your weapon because you need to use two hands for that
Thanks for playing. Better luck next life.
>>
>>35832548
I thought similarly. Then read how a dude stopped for gas in or near Detroit and while pumpin gas had to draw on a crackhead. Ended up trying to fight him and his buddy who was hiding and trying to rack his slide. He was eventually able to and shot one but still.
>>
>>35832343
I carry condition 3 since I mostly keep the gun in my car. Im more worried about being carjacked than anything. When I do carry, I dont want a round in the chamber because of the following scenarios:
>active shooter
First thing is to get to cover, then I would chamber a round.
>Mugging at gun point
Going for my gun would get me shot. If they take my gun, more than likely they will try and kill me with it, so wont they be surprised when nothing happens.
>Mugging at knife point
Just pointing my gun will shock him long enough to chamber a round.
>carjacking
I drive alot of rough terrain, and shit bounces alot, so I dont want any chance of my gun going off. Also it would be pretty obvious to me if I started seeing dudes coming out of their car in the middle of the highway. My first instinct would be to floor it if stopped at a red light or intersection.
>>
>>35832343
It's not always about you op. Shit happens. Over a long enough time frame something can go wrong. Maybe you loose control of your weapon. Maybe you leave it somewhere.

Because you assume it can't happen means your not going to be prepared for it when it happens.

I usually cc a revolver but when I cc a semi I do it chamber empty.
I practice chambering a round before firing. Ive never had an incident and hopefully never will.
But if something does happen. I know that there's one more barrier to a potential fuck up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.