[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>>
>>38535982
Yes it is they never shot him, he cut his face while shaving.
>>
>>38535982
Horrific dick sucking accident. Those Finns are some crazy motherfuckers
>>
>>38535982
he fell asleep on a straightening iron
>>
>>38535982
Never drink and make grilled cheese sandwiches
>>
>>38535999
Must have been a deep cut.
>>
I love this thread.
>>
Never eat out Russian pussy
>>
File: zLtDsZTs9Pc.jpg (14 KB, 200x200)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Also propaganda, same as any other Soviet "hero".
>>
>>38535982
Explosive bullets can leave quite a mark
>>
>>38535982
>kill 500+ with a iron site mosin
>kill 200+ with a smg
>believing this bullshit in 2018
>>
>>38537021
I don't see why not
>>
File: 1509894643669 (1).jpg (342 KB, 1280x904)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>38535982
t. mad vatnik
>>
>>38537021
Finns are some of the hardest warfighters, man for man. Russians are some of the weakest fighters, man for man.
The numbers check out.
>>
>>38536877
Why does everyone assume it was an explosive bullet? A regular ball 7.62x54r will take your jaw off just fine.
>>
>>38537063
the killed ones in that war were mostly ukrainians and prisoners, so it wouldnt surprise me that nobody in the soviet union gave a fuck about the casualties
things did change worse for the Finns when capable commanders arrived, but it was mostly to patch up the war asap, not to enslave entire Finland under communism
They had more luck than anything
>>
File: 1508678183903.png (214 KB, 341x445)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
>>38537021
~500 kills is the official number, supported even by his own private diary which was found only a few years ago. It's not really unbelievable in any way, considering the type of warfare, terrain, Häyhä being a forerunner when it comes to modern sniper work, his skill and knowledge in camouflage, the reaction of the Soviets to him (Бeлaя cмepть) and the comparative incompetence of the Soviet combatants and units, never mind their lack of skis and attempts at deep battle in terrain unsuited for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kollaa
>>
>>38537037
>ww2 Finn
>vatnik
>>
>>38537100
>things did change worse for the Finns when capable commanders arrived
No. Attrition was what brought the Finns to their knees. They started the war completely unprepared because of some very poor political decisions, with soldiers fighting in civilian clothes at the start of the war and the military in general lacking equipment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimo_Cajander
>Cajander's name is remembered for "Model Cajander", the fashion of many Finnish soldiers in Winter War: the army was poorly equipped, so conscripts were given a utility belt, an emblem to be attached to the hat — to comply with the Hague Conventions — and, hopefully, a rifle. Otherwise, they had to use their own clothes and equipment.
By the end of the Winter War the frontlines were crumbling because the Finns were running out of artillery and generally heavy weapons ammunition and fresh Soviet reserves had arrived to continue the offensive.
>>
>>38537021
And Soviet ones were real?
>>
>>38537121
Look at the OP, the post of the guy you replied to and then try to find a new conclusion.
>>
>>38537249
I think some of them, including flying aces, were real and maybe even their achievements were 1:1. But I'm sure the the guys with most publicity and/or highest scores, like Kozhedub, must have been picked by the Party and had some extra in their score t. anotherfag
>>
I've spoken to veterans of the Winter War, it is entirely plausible that Simo killed 500 russians, seeing how hilariously incompetent the russian soldiers where and how little their commanders knew about warfare.
>>
>>38537021
Finnish Mosins were accurate rifles though
>>
>>38537106
>, the reaction of the Soviets to him (Бeлaя cмepть
Funny thing that no soviet sources has such mentions. At all.
Russians were afraid of finnish snipers, the huge plast of Winter War military folklore is centered about finnish "cukoos" (artillery observers mistaken for snipers), but not a single mention of a particular sniper being so terrorising to give him a name. It's not a trench warfare where you're stuck for months and know that there is a sniper that was shooting your mates for weeks, as in Hesketh-Prichard's book.
>comparative incompetence of the Soviet combatants and units
I'd say it's overrated by contemporary authors.
>>38537100
>mostly ukrainians and prisoners
WTF
>>38537310
I've heard that finnish barrels were going worn out faster than russian barrels, is that true?
>>
>>38537343
>Funny thing that no soviet sources has such mentions. At all.
Yeah, I'd buy that. The nickname was supposedly heard from Soviet POWs and I sincerely doubt the Soviet commissar system would have allowed such a name to spread, if it was true in the first place.
>It's not a trench warfare where you're stuck for months and know that there is a sniper that was shooting your mates for weeks, as in Hesketh-Prichard's book.
That is pretty much what happened in the battle of Kollaa though. Continuous offensives and counter-offensives for the duration of the war. No real breakthrough was ever achieved and the front didn't move. Look at the picture in >>38537106
That's the front Häyhä fought on. It remained relatively static throughout the war, so there was plenty of time and opportunities for his work. Only at the end of the war was a 0.5 - 1.5km deep breakthrough achieved and the counter-attack was canceled because the war ended.
>>
>>38537343
>I've heard that finnish barrels were going worn out faster than russian barrels, is that true?
never heard of that being an issue
>>
>>38537389
>The nickname was supposedly heard from Soviet POWs and I sincerely doubt the Soviet commissar system would have allowed such a name to spread,
Soviet Union wasn't an orwellian nightmare, you know. It had it's moments, but I'd doubt that for so long nobody would make a slip, if the name would be real.
>That is pretty much what happened in the battle of Kollaa though
Well, maybe you're right.
Anyway, I highly doubt the fact that soviets game Hayha a specific name. Just because it's such a common idea in wartime folklore and propaganda writings. And it's international: finns brag about White Death, soviets say that Pokryshkin was so feared that german pilots used to warn everyone that he's in the air (as if they could recognise his plane as easily as if it was a WWI corn duster), americans have White Feather Hathcock.
And, of course, the legend of a special squad dispatched to kill a specific war hero, as it was said about Hayuha and von Richthofen during WWI.
>>
>>38537433
>Soviet Union wasn't an orwellian nightmare, you know.
The situation at the fronts was different though, especially so in the Winter War where the Soviet troops had prepared for a quick march into Helsinki and the Fenno-Swedish border. Didn't even have skis, proper clothes, food or people capable of skiing. The few lads who knew how and could go on patrol innawoods ended up disappearing and never coming back.
>but I'd doubt that for so long nobody would make a slip, if the name would be real.
True. The nickname is probably propaganda in the end, or if it wasn't, it was probably just something a platoon made up after losing a number of guys to Häyhä's shot and the Finns just took it from there. Not like the Soviets could consistently tell who was shooting at them either. If they could, Häyhä would have died shortly and if "White Death" was just a common name for enemy snipers at that front, it'd obviously have been recorded.
>>
>>38537063
>Finns are some of the hardest warfighters
That's why they've been slaves for centuries
>>
>>38537462
Under russian rule they had wide authonomy until 1890s. The wide authonomy that allowed capitalist relations, wide spread of lutheran beliefs and self-governance.
>>
File: 1529844054987.png (87 KB, 408x300)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>38537462
>>
>>38537478
>1890s
>The wide authonomy that allowed capitalist relations
Yeah, as opposed to the rest of the Russian Soviet Empire, which was a communist shithole at the time.

>self-governance
Poland had more autonomy within the empire, and poles are still shits.

The fucking level of education here keeps amazing me even after all these years.
>>
>>38537480
>everything light touch, is our kingdom
What, the curtains?
>>38537505
>e Russian Soviet Empire, which was a communist shithole at the time.
>1890s
You don't feel the troubles with time, don't you?
>>
>>38537106
100-500 is supported by his own diary and one of his friends counted over 200 kills.
>>
File: 1528295236444.jpg (34 KB, 482x628)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>
>>38537505
Dude, the soviets weren't even a thing until the Inter War period. That's the 1920s and 30s.
>>
the Russian female snipers spent more time in service during the war giving speeches than in combat, seems a lil odd
>>
>>38537343
>I've heard that finnish barrels were going worn out faster than russian barrels, is that true?
Could be related to usin 7.62x54mmr instead of 7.62x53mmr finnish that was used in finnish moddified rifles.
>>
>>38537550
That nugget looks like a harpoon. The bayonet is for stabbing, and that barrel-like rod is with a loop for the rope.
>>
>>38537063
>numbers
fingols lost
>>
>>38536727
dead by stalins command?
>>
File: 1517158881763.jpg (133 KB, 604x473)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>38537654
t. butthurt vatnik
>>
File: 57.png (187 KB, 1175x645)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>38537550
>>
>>38537526
>>38537552
[S A R C A S M]

This dude >>38537478 stated that Finnish autonomy within the empire, I quote:
>allowed capitalist relations
Within an already capitalist empire.

This thread is full of truly braindead Finns or what?

>>38537552
The year you are looking for is 1917.
>>
>>38537817
>Within an already capitalist empire.
It wasn't fully capitalist. Even after the abolishion of serfdom in 1861, the large share of land was owned by the noblemen by the feudal right. The only full capitalist areas were Finland and Poland.
>>
>>38537827
>Even after the abolishion of serfdom in 1861, the large share of land was owned by the noblemen by the feudal right.
First - those aristocrats owned it by the right of inheritance, not by a feudal distribution out of suzerain's hands, as the last massive Crown giveouts happened half a century prior, during the abolition of serfdom. Since when did inheritance become a non-capitalist concept.
Second - by that logic UK is not fully capitalist TODAY.
>>
>>38537541
The recently found post-war notebook he wrote has him write down his "list of sins" at roughly 500 kills.
>>
>>38537063
>the stories about Häyhä have to be all true, finns are the greatest warfighters!
>we know finns are the greatest warfighters because of the stories about Häyhä
made me think
>>
>>38538078
Pretty sure the meme of Finns being great warriors is just from the two wars in general. The propaganda shown to Western Allied countries about the underdog Finland. Fought against such massive odds, yet the only Axis-affiliated country to never have been occupied post-war. It's the same jungle/mountain/forest/desert warrior trope that gets attached to whatever group lives and fights in adverse conditions like that.
Also the fact that a lot of Finnish veterans moved into the states and brought their LRRP knowledge with them, training US green berets, rangers and the like in arctic conditions and in LRRPing in general.
>>
>>38538078
>finns are the greatest warfighters
>finns never won a war
This fries the finnaboo's brain.
>>
>>38538130
>fought two wars
>5 million people in a limitedly industrialised nation against the Soviet Union
You are silly.
>>
>>38537021
It is only because the Russians fucked up majorly in their tactics. Like worse than walking into Serbian artillery training fields stupid.
>>
>>38538078
>Lost the winter war when Stalin went back to the original sane plan of invasion
>Lost WW2 when the Russians bothered to go after them
I bet you fell for the elite armored German military meme too.
>>
>>38537021
how many of those soviet slave soilders where already frozen to death with simo shot at them?
>>
>>38538136
Not really. They did just fine as per their own doctrine. The problem is that Finnish soil is absolutely not conductive to the kind of armored deep battle the Soviets were trained in. A handful of piss-pot roads surrounded by rocks, swamps, forests, rivers, hills and lakes. There are simply not enough avenues of approach to choose an optimal route, so wherever you try to attack, the enemy will be prepared.
The same thing happened in the Continuation War and Stavka gave up the war after the Vyborg-Petrozadovsk offensive failed to achieve its objectives and the Finnish troops managed to avoid encirclement and pursuit. It's why Finland was never occupied. Too fucking costly to keep the war going when Berlin is waiting.
>>
>>38537343
the majority of the units sent to the Finland front at the start of the war where indeed Ukrainian nationals, and other 'minorities' Stalin wanted to liquidate non conforming national identities.

finnlander mosin barrels do not wear out faster than Russian barrels to the best of my knowledge, please gib source, i own a m39 so i am greatly concerned.
>>
>>38537433
>Soviet Union wasn't an orwellian nightmare, you know. It had it's moments, but I'd doubt that for so long nobody would make a slip, if the name would be real.

dude you dont know the half of it.
>>
>>38538162
I was referring to how instead of a singular push from the south via the Karelian isthmus to the capital which would have overwhelmed the Finns easily Stalin decided to follow someone elses plan because he wanted to larp as the Germans in Poland with le epic pincer attacks and whatnot. Spreading out their forces to take swamp land made it easier for the Finns to get insane amounts of casualties inflicted upon them. Once they went back to the first plan they fared far better
>>
>>38538175
>and other 'minorities' Stalin wanted to liquidate non conforming national identities
If Stalin wanted to liquidate them, why did he personally saw them taken out of the RSFSR and given their own administrations as separate Republics within the USSR, with government that are direct precursors to modern independent ones and borders that we see today, during his job as People's Commissar for Nationalities from 1917 to 1923?
>>
>>38537433
>Soviet Union wasn't an orwellian nightmare, you know.
Nigga, are You trying to say Stalin wasn't that bad guy after all?
>>
>>38538181
You don't know the tenth of it.
>>
too many swedes in this thread
>>
>>38538110
Finnish cavalry led by Gustaf Adolphus himself first defeating Catholic cavalry and then capturing and using the enemy artillery was key to victory at Breitenfeld in 1631
>>
>>38538220
>Everyone who doesn't suck Finnlands dick is a Swede
ebin
>>
>>38538214
Eh, no more than most other ridiculously powerful people of his time. USSR as a state was both way more and way less totalitarian than most countries around during different periods. "Orwellian" however is an extremely fitting descriptor, as it was plagued by exactly what Orwell described in his works through the entirety of it's history, which is ironically completely different from what most Westerners today take out of said works (DUDE CAMERAS DUDE POLICE STATE).
>>
>>38538241
exposed
>>
>>38538250
för helvete
>>
>>38538181
There's an entire book dedicated to jokes under the USSR, 'Hammer and Tickle'.
Was the USSR Orwellian? Yes. But they didn't have ability to stamp out humour.
>>
>>38538292
Being Orwellian doesn't require stamping out humor. It requires the exact opposite - people living under the iron rule of others and being able to easily joke about that. because they accept the tyranny as a norm of their lives. USSR was exceedingly successful in that part.
>>
>>38538181
Dude, you're living in the world of spooks.
>>
>>38538175
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES2.htm not OP but I was curious, this is the only source I've found after a brief look. Doesn't look all that legit either but maybe check the date of your rifles production and if it's a pre 1924 model, if so just to be safe have a gunsmith take a look at it and gauge its condition
>>
>>38538220
Swedes tend to be supportive of Finland. It is vatniks who tend to come down on Finland.
>>
>>38537106
500+ kills is from his own diary, 219-240 is from the company records and is the official total.
>>
>>38538175
>ukrainian
No such nationals.
>>
>Sustain heavy losses in snowy Finland
>completely BTFO Japan in steppes
honestly it's all about the second gen tanks, soviet union tactics was too advanced for it's tech
>>
>>38538380
This.

Vatniks are extremly proud of the fact that they didnt loose the winter war (despite them beeing the largest nation in the world against a tinyass farmers nation with no modern equipment), and absolutly hates finns who tell them that thats nothing to brag about.
>>
>>38538077
100-500 is possibly from same notebook.
It is rarely mentioned but he dind't count kills or hits and there is only rough estimate.
A lot of numbers he told during his life were pulled out of his ass and sometimes he said 200 and in some other situation 400 and then 300 etc.

I think it is most likely somewhere between 200 and 600.
Also I have taken all this from finnish sources, only after internet over 500 has started to spread as "fact".
>>
>>38538175
>Stalin wanted to liquidate non conforming national identities
Source plz,because that sounds just stupid
>please gib source
I can't recall it. It was some video I've seen on youtube.
>>
>>38538594
500 is the latest number from his own private notebook, so it's probably what's true. He never released it or published it. It was just passed down to family members and eventually from them to the media and relevant foundations.
>>
>>38538077
>recently found post-war notebook
fabricated
>>
>>38539285
proofs?
>>
>>38538600
look at stalins policy for the minorities of the USSR, specifically in Estonia and the Ukraine. also ever heard of the holodormor?
>>
>>38538319
mine is a 43 sako, so i now worry as ive been putting 54r through it
>>
>>38538208
because that what he was ordered to do, he was in charge of the nationalities commissariat. which he russified after the death of lenin. now go back to your lefty facebook groups you undergrad reject.
>>
>>38537021
It reminds me of that scene in Unknown Soldier where Rokka kills 50 Soviet soldiers with a ppsh or whatever that barrel drum machine pistol is called
>>
good thread tovarish )))))
500 rubles deposited on your webmoney account
>>
>>38538316
back to lefty facebook you NEET
>>
>>38538462
it had more to do with combined arms. They had good tanks, good artillery, good troops, and plenty of all of the above. But the ability to coordinate was not there. IMO
>>
>>38540922
That's based on a real event done by someone in the author's unit iirc
wouldn't be surprised, ukrainian farm boys were completely unprepared for the winter
>>
>>38537270
Im convinced this thread was started by some salty leftypol vatnik and is filled with day/k/are fags that cant even recognize simo hayha.
>>
>>38540894
>ukraine
No such thing.
>holodomor
>>>/x/
>>
>>38540916
>because that what he was ordered to d
Except that was HIS initiative, that most of Sovnarkom opposed (but Lenin eventually approved).
>>
>>38537021
I can't imagine it is too far from the truth, my grandfather among others mowed down officially "uncountable" numbers of russians even if it was from a machinegun nest and in a span of under a week
as a fun side note, he said that the only thing worse than mowing down untrained and unprepared boys hiding behind the frozen corpses of their friends is the smell when spring finally arrives and the position of your entrenchment hasn't and won't be changed
>>
>>38540894
>stalins policy for the minorities of the USSR,
So what. The motivation wasn't national, it was economical and political. The victims were the members of hostile organisations and kulaks who were capable of staging the anti-government activities in the area. Majorities have suffered the same fate.
>>38540944
That's continuation war, anon.
>>
>>38537292

What age are you? When did you speak to them? You use the word veterans implying plural? Really? Most Finnish or Russian veterans of that war would have been born in 1917-20 which would make them all 100 or so now.

I don't believe you.
>>
Loving the Commie butthurt in this thread.

Tuntuu hyvältä.
>>
>>38541358
Yes because none of us are older than 20, you absolute youngfag
>>
>>38541445
you lost the winter war
>>
>>38541021
year of our lord 8, 10, and 2000, and still you are this much of a bootlicker. you probably dont own any guns
>>
>>38542310

But in the end, nothing happened to Finland, and Russians lost way more men that could have made more future Russian babies, the war was really lost by Russia.
>>
>>38542924

Owning guns is only for the castle guards and my Jewish leaders, unlike you, my fellow peasant, if they say Jump, I JUMP!!!!
>>
File: onion.png (155 KB, 1280x573)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>38542310
>you lost the winter war
>>
>>38542998
Russia won, get over it.
>>
File: 1527602727163.jpg (11 KB, 318x313)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>38542310
>lose winter war
>lose cold war
>>
File: Tuntuu hyvälle.png (316 KB, 1000x663)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>38542310
>Russian butthurt
Tuntuu hyvältä.
>>
Why were the Finns fighting the Soviets? Were the Finns Nazis?
>>
>>38544182
soviets demanded viborg and karelia in 1939. finland didn't want to roll over and spread their asses like all 3 baltic countries just had, so war were declared. they were famously unhelpful to the nazis, basically advanced to their old borders in 1941 and wouldn't advance any farther. leningrad probably could have been captured if they did, but they didn't want to be seen as the aggressor because they had doubts germoney could win
>>
>>38544182
No, they were retards (just like the Nazis) and they lost (just like the Nazis).
>>
File: 1400451838572.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>38544242
>retards for not accepting Soviet ultimatum to give up a territory with 15% of your population
>>
>>38541224
Fuck, that's pretty sad.
>>
File: 1503453898901.jpg (15 KB, 322x322)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>38537021
Ruskie war tactics were full retard. It literally makes more sense to believe they were trying to eliminate the masculine men who would fight for a cause in order to secure their government against internal rebellion.

You realize there are multiple instances of finns in MG nests switching guys out from sobbing from the literal slaughter of so many conscripts not even trained to shoot back effectively, much less under suppression?
>>
File: download.png (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>38540894
>Holodomor
>soviets magically made Ukrainian crops fail
>kulaks didn't intentionally exacerbate the problem by hoarding grain and killing livestock.
>Repeating hundred year old propaganda
>>
>>38545600

They systematically created a food shortage, its recognized as a genocide in most modern countries now.
>>
Why are there so many Soviet/Russiaboos on 4chins nowadays? They're everywhere.
>>
>>38537021
You're right. It's straight horseshit with zero photos of videos to back it up. I dunno how people take that seriously.
>>
>>38545740
/leftypol/
>>
>>38545740
>>38545807
go back /pol/
>>
>>38535982

russian revisionism
>>
>all that tankie butthurt ITT
https://youtu.be/xsYSAzIy-88
>>
>>38545600
https://books.google.com/books/about/Modernization_from_the_Other_Shore.html?hl=de&id=UkFlO7hoxOMC
http://www.melgrosh.unimelb.edu.au/documents/Davies_Wheatcroft_ch.4_Famine.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20121025184937/http://www.day.kiev.ua/177118/
https://web.archive.org/web/20080327012443/http://www.zn.ua/3000/3150/55147/
https://nintil.com/2016/05/11/the-soviet-union-food/
>>
>>38538130
> Finnish civil war vs. Russia
> Lapland War

Please now explain why your definition of "won" is different to that of everyone else’s so that you can still be right.
>>
File: 1529346610295.jpg (10 KB, 300x225)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>38537021
>believing this bullshit in 2018
Anon the soviets took more casualties than Finns had troops in total
>>
>>38547109
>Please now explain why your definition of "won" is different
"stalins mobile goalposts"
>>
>>38544211
>asically advanced to their old borders in 1941 and wouldn't advance any farther
Kek. They moved much further, up to Karelian Fortified Region.
>>
>>38547345
The Main Ridge, to be correct. The one that's close to Leningrad
>>
>>38541358
I'm 29 and the guy I spoke to is currently 98. Unilke russians, actual humans can reach that age because they don't drink themselves to death at 60.

In any case, from the stories I've heard, many who fought in the war is say that it was less of a fight and more of a slaughter for most of the war.
The russians would often make camps on frozen lakes and in large clearings since they where afraid of the forest. They didn't post enough sentries if at all and often made huge fires to keep the cold away. The finns would just ski a couple of machineguns to the edge of the forest during the night and machine gun the fuck out of the tents and then quickly abscond before the russians could even return fire. Everyone was surprised how many times they could repeat those kind of raids before the russians even attempted countermeasures.
>>
>>38547471
I always got the feeling that most Russian commanders were incredibly suicidal
>>
>>38547109
>civil war
>vs. Russia
Pick one.
>>
>>38547085

discarded
>>
>>38547109
>Lapland War
Italy "won" World War II, everyone.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.