[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 26320.jpg (23 KB, 533x332)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
hey k! is it pretty autistic to carry a revolver for self defence? how do they compare to pistols?
thanks
>>
>>39128747
they compare to pistols in that they are not pistols but revolvers
>>
>>39128747
>it pretty autistic to carry a revolver for self defence?
if you can hit the target and make sure it stays down, then it will do
>how do they compare to pistols?
pretty poorly
only 6 shots

revolvers are training wheel guns, it takes less brain cells to use, and its useful for teaching form
and in this case, the ability to defend yourself is merely a beneficial side-effect of your practice

but if you really want to defend yourself, with the express purpose of keeping yourself not dead
then the semi-auto has more rounds and takes less time to reload
there is zero practical benefit to carrying a revolver over a pistol for the purposes of serious self-defence
>>
>>39128783

what if you live in an area with lots of dangerous animals though?
>>
>>39128747
Not very, though it depends on where you live I suppose. In an urban environment, a semi auto is the only real choice but in rural areas a revolver chambered in something like .357 or .45 Colt may be more sensible.
>>
>>39128747
Revolvers are dumb, enjoy getting raped because you lack capacity
>>
>>39128801

Yup and what happens if your pistol malfunctions?
It´s almost impossible for a revo to malfunction.
>>
This is a bait thread and you should feel bad. Fucking google it. But imo get a glock 19 if you can "just choose". Criminals come in packs, the glawk has been tested several times. Do a glawk. There are some benefits to revolvers though like their low maintenance. They tend to take every day wear and neglect a little bit better. Example you need to lube a glock occasionally while 70 year old revolvers and their encased components still work. Important if you have to leave the guns for a long time to travel. That being said autoloaders take abuse better than revolvers, like mud tests. You can press a revolver against people without the slide being pushed out of battery. I find full sized revolvers to be more accurate generally speaking but who cares when your defense distances are an arm length away? Honestly if you are dying for revolver do it as a backup gun. The advantages I mention make it okay for backup gun performance and every policeman ever does it
>>
Depends on what you're asking it to do. If you want a .357 or .44 for animals, yeah they're probably better than an average 9mm despite the fact that you have reduced capacity. Or, in a ban state, where suddenly you're looking at a smaller capacity gap, you can certainly make an argument that it's rational to trade down in capacity to get a more powerful cartridge. Switching from 9mm to .38 Special in a similarly-sized gun, maybe not.

I live in a free state and 9mm / .38 Special is plenty for what I need, so for my purposes revolvers are mostly hot-weather carry guns (specifically J frames). They work very well in that role.
>>
>>39128839

If you need serious stopping power than a revo is the way to go.
An 8 shot .357 for example.
Also, magnum caliber pistol also max out at 8 shots per magazine...
>>
>>39128798
10mm glock + hardball but nothing wrong with revolvers 357 mag and up. In Alaska it might be preferable to stick with revolvers and rifles only 44 mag and up.
>>
>>39128864
>If you need serious stopping power than a revo is the way to go.
or you can just get a Glock in 10mm like a normal person.....
>>
>>39128747
In 99/100 self defense situations, merely showing a gun will be enough to drive off an attacker.
Of the 1/100 times it's not, 99/100 of those will be resolved in 2 or fewer shots.
The most liberal estimate of SD situations is 2.5 million annually, or 1/140 people. Worrying about capacity for the 0.00007143% of times where it matters is FAR more autistic.

You don't wear a crash helmet, flame-retardant suit, and a 5-point harness every time you drive a car.
>>
>>39129076

true dat.
>>
>>39128938

normal person?
10mm pistols are one of the rarest pistols while 357 revos are the most bought ones
>>
>>39128747
No it isn't autistic. In general when compared to a semi-auto pistol they carry less ammunition and require more training for acceptable reload speeds if needed.
>>
>>39129076
no man, I need a Roland Special and four backup extendo clips just in case I'm the one guy every hundred years who gets into a Heat-style running gun battle through the streets of Mayberry
this is a totally reasonable risk assessment and if you disagree you're a Fudd
>>
There's been a lot of debate and I've been reading up on this topic for a while. This is still my opinion, nothing more, nothing less, but I have at the least put in a bit of time on this.

Revolvers are, by and large, inferior weapons to pistols. They are limited in their capacity, often heavier, wider when carried, more exposed to the elements, and in most cases harder to customize to preference. However, they are much more user friendly in operation, more intuitive to use, cheaper to operate, and in all require less work.

Pistols have many mechanical advantages over revolvers. The smallest pistols hold as many shots as most revolvers,they are more suited to carrying, they are often completely sealed up from dirt and debris, parts are easily swapped out, and internal maintenance is much easier. But pistols have much larger manuals of operation, they require you to put in considerably more work and money both to get them to run at their best, are more prone to malfunction, and generally require more training to use.
>>
>>39129798
In practice, the question boils down to how much you're wanting to invest, both time and money wise, into the firearm. Revolvers have a much higher skill floor but a lower ceiling, whereas a pistol is easy to screw up but handled expertly is much more effective as a firearm.

For just one example, ammunition. Revolvers are not nearly as sensitive to ammo as a pistol. Pistols can sometimes require you to go through several brands, weights, and styles of ammunition until you find one that allows your gun to run without jams, a crucial element of a proper defense handgun. Revolvers will almost always run whatever you put in them, it is largely a question of what feels best, and occasionally making sure that it doesn't have any odd problems that cause rare jams. This ammo tuning costs money, it costs time, it is a real investment. The same thing can be said for magazines, a bad magazine can jam up a pistol, good magazines can be expensive, finding right magazine again takes time and money. Revolvers don't use magazines, though you might want to find speedloaders or moon clips.

We also come to the point of operation. Revolvers will almost always perform the same set of actions (cycle the cylinder and strike the primer) with every trigger pull. If a bullet fails to go off for whatever reason, the only thing needed is to pull the trigger again. It's very simple and very intuitive to do under pressure.
>>
>>39129809

Pistols require considerably more thought put into them to make sure that they operate properly. A pistol that does not fire when you pull the trigger, has a failure to eject, failure to feed, etc. requires the operator to perform a set of actions before it will work again. People fumble these clearances just under the pressure of being on a timer in a shooting course, let alone the stresses of your life being on the line.

However, when it comes to revolvers, you are not going to out-do your gun. You are always going to be limited to the mechanical limitations that come simply from being a revolver. The capacity is limited, the reloads do take longer. Anything you can train past on a revolver, you can train past on a pistol further and to greater effect.

Which one is better is largely up to YOU. If you want the defensive option of a firearm but are aware that you are not going to sink significant amounts of dollars and hours into getting the most out of a pistol for a marginal increase in effectiveness, you should rest well knowing that revolvers do serve plenty of people on a daily basis in a more than acceptable capacity. If you think that is not enough, and you are willing to put more in to get to the best you can from a defensive handgun, then get the pistol and be happy with knowing you've got the opportunity to get the best.
>>
>>39128783

One shot of tree fiddy seven is worth a dozen shots of 9mm. Ergo a revolver effectively carries 72 shots.
>>
>>39128831
>Muh glawk

Ask me how I know you're a little child.
>>
>>39128783
>only 6 shots
Stopped reading right there. There's plenty of wheel guns that are more than 6 rounds buddy. educate yourself.
>>
File: 20180910_235910.jpg (2.36 MB, 4032x1960)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>39128747
They're harder to shoot well, slow and clunky to reload, and low capacity. The only thing they particularly do well is they won't have a stoppage if the barrel is pressed up against your assailant. But, at the same time, if your attacker is enough of a ninja to grab hold of your cylinder, you'll be unable to discharge the gun.
>>
>>39129851
Yes but carrying your LeMat isn't exactly ideal, is it strawman? Not to mention revolvers that carry 7 or 8 shots still can't be reloaded as fast as single stack pistols of the same capacity.
>>
File: 20180823_155025.jpg (2.31 MB, 2880x2160)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>39129851
And they're gigantic. 7-shots are L-frames and 8-shots are N-frames.
>>
>>39129901
It's not like you're carrying ball and cap. Speedloaders are probably a second behind in reload speed against magazine pistols.
>>
>>39129904
Didnt say they werent, just said there were models with more than 6 rounds.
>>
>>39128783
>serious self defenSe
>shoots 9mm
Revolvers will never jam plus .357 magnum
>>
File: Pulp Gun Revolver.jpg (47 KB, 397x586)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
ballisticradio.com/2018/01/31/if-you-cant-get-it-done-in-8-6-7-or-5-podcast-season-5-ballistic-radio-episode-238-january-21st-2018/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZaxay1eXks
>>
I think when it comes to carrying revos have theyr pros, but for most people a pistol will do just fine.

However. No one can argue that pistols are better for target shooting. Assuming that you handload revolvers can produce groups with touching holes which a pistol will never be able to.
>>
>>39129877
>>39129904
Your 929? Any problems with it? Barrel straight on? Present day S&W horror stories got me doubting if I want to get one but goddamn I want one.
>>
File: 20180820_172010.jpg (1.58 MB, 2880x2160)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>39129940
Maybe if you're really good, and do everything just right. We have a regional annual revolver match here, and you get a good look at how people can struggle or fumble speed loader reloads and these are people who practice and compete with their revolvers.

Magazine reloads are lightning fast, even for a person of average competency. I shoot mainly revolver currently and I can still reload an autoloader faster than I can fumble my way through a reload with Safariland Comp 3s, much less Comp 2s or speed strips.
>>
>>39128830
it is also almost impossible for modern semi auto pistol to malfunction. even hi point goes bang every time
>>
File: Bait Sucker.jpg (145 KB, 600x941)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>39129997
>>
>>39129798

Teach a kid to shoot, reload, disassemble and clear malfunctions using a pistol. Would be a nightmare. Everyone can use a revolver in any situation.
That´s how you have to look at it.

However a skilled shooter that has to fight off 10 attackers at once will perform better with a pistol.
Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>39129997

no it doesnt. and it also doesnt eject and feed everytime...
>>
>>39130003
>However a skilled shooter that has to fight off 10 attackers at once will perform better with a pistol.

This is why autofags are confirmed larping faggots.

5 shot j frame is plenty of gun for the threat level of the average faggot.
>>
>>39128783
>zero practical benefit
What is, doesn't jam?
>>
>>39129940
... so you admit they're not as good?
>>
File: 148607482151.jpg (236 KB, 1350x728)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>39128783
>zero practical benefit

What about making my benis the big benis?
>>
>>39130021
>>
File: 20180821_151445.jpg (1.4 MB, 2880x2160)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>39129987
It's a sexy piece, no doubt, even with the hillary hole. I like it. Everything seems fairly straight with my two Performance Center guns. I think a little more care is put in PC gun assembly. But only slightly.

The thing you have to realize is new Smiths are guns you use as a starting point, especially if you're going to compete with them. I fit oversized parts, re-do the trigger stop, and shim the hammer and trigger when I get a new one because those are all fitted for expediency, whereas I can afford to spend a couple of hours getting a tight timing and slick action.

Also, even if you don't and you think the factory timing and action are fine, take it apart and clean it because they might leave glass bead media inside...
>>
File: Webley .450 Bulldog.jpg (71 KB, 1024x768)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>39130038
>>
>>39130045

hell yeah.
>>
>>39130019

They have better reliability and are chambered in better calibers, take that passive aggressive style of pilpul back to R*ddit.
>>
>>39130041
Alright, thanks for the rundown. I'm fine with getting something that needs work to run good as long as the fundamentals of it are in place. Wouldn't be a modern S&W if there wasn't something needing elbow grease. The 929 ticks too many boxes for me to ignore it.
>>
File: Colt Python Snub.jpg (128 KB, 640x480)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>
>>39128747
>is it pretty autistic to carry a revolver for self defence?
No, they have their own merits and are superior to auto loaders in some situations. The same can be said for auto loaders as well.
>how do they compare to pistols
Fewer rounds on tap generally speaking(5-7) than anything that's double stack, although the difference is extremely unlikely to matter. Frequently chambered in more powerful cartridges than comparable use auto loaders, the go to pocket revolver caliber is typically a .38 while the go to pocket auto loader caliber is typically a .380. For mid sized general or duty use you'd usually be comparing a .357 to a 9mm/.40/.45 although mid sized .38s(or .357s loaded with .38) were historically the more common choice their niche has almost entirely been supplanted by auto loaders. When it comes to dedicated woods defense or hunting the common autoloaders choice is a 10mm while for a revolver its a .44 magnum, although sometimes depending on region and personal philosophy you'll see .357s being used instead. Since pulling the trigger is what moves the cylinder on a revolver as opposed to an autoloader which uses the recoil of a fired round to load the next one revolvers are entirely immune to the largest and most frequent categories of malfunctions encountered by auto loaders, failures to feed/fire/extract/eject caused by bad ammo, bad magazines, or something coming in contact with the slide. Furthermore if a revolver goes click instead of bang you simply pull the trigger again, with an autoloader you need to at least clear the malfunction. Although that isn't to say that revolvers can't malfunction or anything, in particular abuse induced timing issues come to mind in terms of SD use, a revolver thats smacked onto a concrete surface hard enough for instance may very well lock up entirely if you're unlucky. Of course that's orders of magnitude less likely than a simple jam occurring, and autoloaders can break too.
>>
File: S&W 27.jpg (65 KB, 640x427)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>
File: 1531625915483.jpg (1.52 MB, 3615x1400)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
Okay, it has to be asked since it's a revolver thread.

Which is better?
>S&W Model 27
>Colt Python
>>
>>39130107
In this day and age revolvers have too main niches:
>i need a more powerful round
for defense against larger four legged creatures .357 and .44 are simply a better choice due to their massive potential for deep penetration with properly selected rounds. Although 10mm isn't exactly miles behind .357, .44 really leaves it in the dust. When it comes to two legged threats this level of penetration is simply unneeded, although higher velocity low weight loadings in magnum calibers tend to enjoy a better reputation for stopping threats in fewer rounds this is a hotly debated subject that could fill up a couple posts on it's own.
>i need a gun that won't jam
Pretty self explanatory, a .38 won't jam because you're using it in a literal fight for your life against an attacker that managed to close the distance before you could draw. It can be fired pressed directly up against somebody or while being struggled over. Similarly this means that a .38 thats kept in a coat pocket can be fired all 5 times without even being drawn in the first place, in situations that seem sketchy but drawing a firearm isn't yet justified you can already have your hand on the .38 without alarming anyone or risking a brandishing charge.
>>
>>39130186

> I also need to win a shooting contest
>>
File: 20180820_171231.jpg (1.71 MB, 2880x2160)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>39130096
The fundamentals are there, at least on the PC guns. Zero end shake on the cylinder, ball detent on the yoke, very accurate (my 686 Competitor gives purpose-built PPC guns a run for their money), and the triggers feel pretty good out of the box. I don't stone any engagement points, just a lot of dry firing, and that smooths it out some more. Performance Center guns are certainly great to look at, too.

And 8 rounds of 9mm on a moon clip with the 929? Fantastic. I'm not the only one who thinks so, since they're a mainstay of IPSC/USPSA.

The one thing to look into is a moon clip loader like the BMT Mooner. Moon clips are a pain to load by hand.
>>
>>39130202
Pretty sure this is supposed to be about self defense more so than general use. Also while the SA on my S&W is really good, i still can't shoot it as well as my 1911 for some reason. That's just me though.
>>
>>39129997

Hickock disagrees.
>>
>>39130160
Do you want something to shoot or something to ooooh and aaaaah at?
>>
>>39128747
They're the western equivalent of katanas, but it's practical enough to not be considered autistic.
>how do they compare to pistols
.357 is the only real next step up from 9mm in STOPPIN POWAH. past that the advantages are not many. low capacity, reloading is clumsy, shooting is a bit different from semi autos, and stoppin powah is arguably less important than actually placing your shots well.

They're fun guns either way and I'de definitely recommend you buy at least one.
>>
>>39130160
model 27, pythons are boomer meme guns. next question
>>
>>39128761
This is what autism looks like, not carrying a revolver.
>>
>>39129997
>get high quality modern glawk brand glawk for carry
>constant brass to the face
>no issues with other guns
>sell and try again with other glawk brand glawk
>fails to feed around 2-4% of the time unless being literally throttled, an issue I never had with previous glock or any other poly guns
>pull out "obsolete" 1911
>0 malfunctions of any kind to date, can't limp wrist it if i try
The real world is under no obligation to obey your preconceptions.
>>
>>39130323

Maybe he thought they´re just not comparable...
>>
>>39130352

This. I have spider hands so I got a double stack 1911 and the thing is like a Swiss watch.
>>
>>39130259

yeah with commercial ammunition the difference isn´t so noticeable but a GP100 with really hot handloads is a laserbeam though
>>
>>39130424
No, this was a "pistols aren't revolvers because reee" post. I think they compare pretty well to several popular single stacks at the moment. They've always compared pretty well to 1911's, which are considered to be acceptable carry choices by many people.
>>
File: Colt Bijan.jpg (168 KB, 1200x900)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>
>>39128938
>or you can just get a Glock in 10mm like a fa>>39129076
ggot
>>
>>39128747
If you're going to carry a revolver as a self defense gun, then it needs to be strong enough to put down whatever you shoot within 6 shots or less.
And at that point, you may as well carry an automatic.

Read some pretty nasty horror stories of people that live in Alaska using revolvers on cougars and bears and the fuckers still attacked any way since the rounds weren't powerful enough to actually do anything.
>>
>>39129798
>cheaper to operate

In what way?
>>
Revolvers are honorable, they would be the firearm of the Samurai
>>
>>39131980
Maybe he means not having to buy extra magazines?
>>
>>39132220
Nope. Speed loaders and speed strips. Revolvers aren't cheaper to operate. That anon is high.
>>
It's autistic to carry a gun at all. Why sweat the details?
>>
>>39132251
Speed loaders are like $10. Ammo cost is where they getcha. .38/.357 generally costs more than 9mm.
>>
>>39132444
I only sweat the small stuff. The big shit is out of my control.
>>
>>39132505
I reload so there's really no difference for me in ammo costs. Practice ammo is cheap ass reloads and carry ammo is premium factory shit.
>>
>>39130009
How about a non-larping answer?
I don't carry a PPQ because I fear the two legged beast, for it understands what a gun is. 15 rounds is nice for the purpose of making sure that junkie nigger is dead, but the reason why I carry 15 rounds is because of the 4-legged beasts that know no better. After all, a charging shitbull moves far faster than a junkie, is a smaller target than a junkie, and it wants to kill you.
>>
>>39132566
I don't know the numbers but I would bet real money that animal attacks(any animal) in the USA are far less frequent than human attacks. If you want to plan your EDC around low probability incidents that's cool anon but don't expect everyone to agree with your choices or reasoning.
>>
>>39132621
Low probability for anyone else, maybe. Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by shitbull lovers(who are already an... "upstanding" group)
>>
>>39128783
Heeeelll yeeeeaaaa BROTHER wheel gats are for PUSSYS
>>
File: Ketchup.jpg (213 KB, 1000x640)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>39133010
>>
>>39128747
I carried 38spl. as my first handgun, long time ago because they were cheap. Pretty easy to stuff into a pocket, not easy to shoot well.
>>
>>39133030
revolvers are perfectly serviceable
the lack of capacity will have zero benefit for 99% of all outcomes

its very idiot proof, it takes longer to load, but it takes zero thought to load, put bullet in hole
its only major malfunction is if your ammo is a dud, and its instinctive to simply skip the misfired chamber
it doesnt need recoil to cycle, so its more tolerant of beginner mistakes like not letting the recoil hit you

its downsides will affect basically 1/1000th of realistic self defence scenarios
and its upsides are pretty relevant, especially for someone who is just learning to shoot
>>
>>39129829
This, but semi-unironically.
You can't reasonably expect a single round of 9mm to drop someone like a .357 would, so allowing an average of three shots per threat means that a Glock 19's nominal 15-round magazine has the same effective capacity as a J-frame.
>>
>>39129877
>if your attacker is enough of a ninja to grab hold of your cylinder, you'll be unable to discharge the gun
Just crank the gun clockwise (or counterclockwise if you're running a Colt or something that spins backwards) around the cylinder and it'll work fine.
It's probably bad for the timing, but you can worry about that after you're done defending your life.
>>
>>39131760
>Read some pretty nasty horror stories of people that live in Alaska using revolvers on cougars and bears and the fuckers still attacked any way since the rounds weren't powerful enough to actually do anything.

That's not the fault of "revolvers" that's the fault of either missing, poor ammo selection, or poor caliber choice. Shoot a cougar or a bear with something like a .44 or a .454 (or even bigger) and it is going down.

I love revolvers and I've been shooting big bore wheelguns for nearly 20 years now. That said, if I ever had to carry a handgun in the woods in Alaska I'd give a long hard thought to a Glock 20. 15+1 of some good 10mm is nothing to sneeze at. It may not be as powerful as a big revolver but the capacity advantage is huge.
>>
>>39129986
>which a pistol will never be able to.
right
>>
>>39133257
That is assuming you hit, of course.
It doesn't matter how powerful your cartridge is if the bullets aren't on target. Higher capacity means more chances to hit. And even if your first hit or two doesn't completely stop an attacker, it will certainly slow them down and give you a better opportunity for followups.
>>
>>39128747
Revolvers have been killing niggers in self defense for 150 years. If you carry one, just make sure its a quality caliber and not something pointless that an auto does better.
>>
>>39128830
Semi has malfunction
>tap rack bang
Revolver has malfunction
>cylinder binds, tell mugger to wait 3-5 business days for your gunsmith to get back with you
>>
>>39133396
The real answer, of course, is to carry a bottom-feeder in a serious caliber like 10mm Auto or .357 SIG, so you get high capacity and fast reloads with "stopping power" you can feel confident in.
>>
>>39133416
Depends on what kind of malfunction. If it's ammo related the revolver wins. Just pull the trigger again. If it's a mechanical failure with the firearm itself then either one could be headed to the gunsmith.
>>
File: 1fe.png (59 KB, 658x662)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>39128747

Not hitting Jamal is pretty autistic
>>
>>39133257
I would really caution you against relying on OSS studies to inform your decisions on SD. In my experience and most other "experts" i've heard talk on them they're frequently full of problems and tell you more about who, how, and why people tend to employ certain calibers than anything else. That all being said if we wanna open that can of worms we can use ellifritz as a guideline. Average number of rounds to stop with a 9mm is 2.45, average for a .357 is 1.7. Comparing a 686+ with 7 rounds of capacity to a G19 with 16 that would make the .357 a 4(.11) bad guy gun and the G19 a 6 or maybe 7 bad guy gun(6.53). Of course due to the reality of how averages are derived this is frankly a more misleading than informing numerical value, the high rate of one stop shots really deflate the average shots fired number. If you'd like me to elaborate on that id be more than willing.
>>39133396
Shot placement is king. If your plan for a defensive encounter is a tactical mag dump in someones general direction then maybe you shouldn't be carrying a gun in the first place, it's dangerous for yourself and bystanders.
>>
>>39133463
revolvers tend to deal with ammo problems better since you can simply skip the offending round

semi autos have to deal with duds as well as things that dont occur with revolvers like failure to eject
>>
>>39133526
>Shot placement is king.
You won't get any argument from me. I was simply pointing out a detail that your prior post omitted. I wasn't disagreeing with your conclusion.
>>
File: Lemat.jpg (69 KB, 1200x912)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I'm going to track down and carry one of the centerfire Le Mats and nobody can stop me.
>>
>>39133563
Nobody except the ugly gun police.

That said, I'd give my left nut for a cartridge firing lemat carbine.
>>
>>39133548
Wasn't my post, im some other anon. Most capacityfag arguments in my experience tend to center around these strange ideas like being in a SD situation where you need to ventilate 4 or more determined attackers, only being able to meaningfully connect after putting 4+ misses down range, or that the capacity of a modern compact 9mm mean you can just magdump at a person with good results. If that isn't what you're getting at then i must have misunderstood.
>>
>>39133659
Again, I don't think capacity is all-important.

I was simply pointing out that >>39133257 seems to be talking about "shots per threat" only, while ignoring the fact that higher capacity also means more chances to hit your target(s). Do I think that detail is important enough to disagree with the conclusion? No. But I do feel it is worth mentioning.

I don't think capacity is king at all and I am certainly not advocating magdumps. I was just pointing out a curious omission that was worth addressing. If you're going to discuss a comparison why not put all the factors on the table for discussion?
>>
>>39129076
there are less than 100,000 violent crimes reported in the us each year. how the fuck do you get 2.5 million self defense situations? your shitty made up statistics from stormfront are not helping anyone
>>
File: Model_27.jpg (22 KB, 533x292)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>39130160

The Python has a smoother trigger pull and tighter tolerances. They were also hand-fitted by craftsmen. All of the people involved in their production are either retired or dead. These will never be built new again.

The -27 is a bit more rugged, simpler in design (rule of thumb is that S&Ws are easier to work on than Colts), and are still being built, and in the rare even that you need to replace internal parts, they're available.

It just depends on what you want. Cool expensive collector's piece or a shooter?
>>
>>39133801
He's referencing klecks DGU survey IIRC.
>less than 100,000 violent crimes reported in the us each year
According to the DOJ 5.9 million violent crimes were committed in 2014, with 10% involving a visibly armed perp accordinng to NCVS data. Reported crime(usually via UCR) tends to massively understate crime while NCVS style surveys tend to overstate it a bit. Just look at reporting rates for anything short of homicide. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>39133328
I wrote that with the assumption your frame/barrel is being grabbed as well, not just pinching your cylinder. No amount of hand rotating is going to get it to revolve, especially if they're grabbing it by the flutes. However, this scenario is very unlikely; I was just bringing up a situation where the operation of a revolver can be stopped.

>>39133365
I really do wonder how many times what is attributed to poor terminal performance, is actually missed shots.
>>
File: M47 Medusa.jpg (41 KB, 468x354)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
What's a good .38spl Revolver and whats a good price range for it?
Looking for cheap, but not total shit.
Pic unrelated
>>
>>39128747
.38 Special +P wadcutters have put more criminals into pine boxes than any other caliber out there in the 20th century. Unless you plan on trying to arrest bank robbers armed with Mini-14s, they work just fine.
>>
>>39133961
S&W Model 10, less than $600
>>
>>39133659
I was a capcityfag starting out, but after doing IDPA and noticing that I did better in CDP - where I have even less rounds, I stopped being a capcityfag. 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP will stop 4 attackers easily. At least long enough for me to escape. As a civilian I have the benefit of being able to run away.
>>
>>39133806
Old Smiths were also hand fit. Nature of revolver manufacturing requires some degree of hand fitting.
>>
>>39134169
>Nature of revolver manufacturing requires some degree of hand fitting.
The Manurhin MR93 was designed to be 100% CNC machined with no hand fitting of any components.
It can be done; it's just that the gun has to be designed from the ground up to suit the intended manufacturing technique and there isn't enough of a market for wheelguns to support the R&D costs of a revolver designed to be CNCed or designed to be direct laser metal sintered so we're stuck with guns designed to be lovingly hand-assembled and fitted by skilled laborers.
>>
>>39135107
That's a fair point. If you design a revolver with modern manufacturing in consideration, you can create a product with no fitting. It's just that the revolvers still in production have their roots in century-old designs that haven't updated with technology.

The MR93 is a sexy thing. Definitely tingles my space gun itch.
>>
>>39130160

27, but 586 might be easier to find.
>>
>>39130222

How much do you worry about bullet jump?

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/04/bullet-migration-9mm-revolvers/
>>
>>39135689

https://jamesazacharyjr.blogspot.com/2009/06/smith-wesson-model-940-9mm-revolver.html

Lightweight CC is what I'm looking for. I've heard people talk about crimping, but I don't know anything about reloading.
>>
>>39135107

How hard would it be to CNC these parts a-la ghost gunner? Looks like the kid did everything from scratch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/77pv5t/my_homemade_gun/
>>
>>39135723
Sorry, disregard what I wrote. I looked through some of the rounds off partially-fired moon clips from my last match and some have visibly migrated bullets. I never noticed or thought about it.

The 929 cylinder is long enough (.38 Spl length) that it isn't an issue, but I can see it being one on revolvers with significantly shorter cylinders.
>>
>>39135758
On closer inspection, it's only one round, and it looks like a light primer strike, too, so the hammer strike might have imparted enough inertia to move the bullet.
>>
>>39133224
you must have had a hard time learning how to use an auto pistol if you think theyre so much more complicated than a revolver. neither are hard to use at all, and the fact that you think you can just skip a misfired round when using a revolver proves youre too stupid to even use one.
>>
>>39130003
ok john wick
>>
>>39132251
>Speed loaders and speed strips.
You don't need those though. An autoloader requires magazines, a revolver needs nothing but ammunition.
>>
>>39133257
and you could carry a G29
>>
>>39136923
>An autoloader requires magazines

Which ship with the gun. You don't have to buy extras.
>>
>>39133463
This
>>
>>39133368

Fuck those .22 target pistol. Those are accurate, yes. But we´re talking standard big bore firearms here dude..
>>
>>39133416

If your revolvers cylinder binds you deserve to die.
>>
none of you seriously considers concealability.

In this category pistols win.

Aaand that´s why i would carry a pistol in urban/suburban areas and a revolver in the countryside...
>>
>>39137112
You can conceal anything depending on how you dress. I can conceal a K/L frame smith as easily as a G19 in the summer in Alabama. Fuck I could conceal both at the same time. Loose fitting, straight-hem button down shirts untucked can cover a lot if your chest is bigger than your waist...
>>
goddammit, I really want a chiappa rhino in 2" snubbie for the recoil and the aesthetic, but something about there's some not so great incidents arising from it.
>>
>>39137470
I'm so fucking sick of the rhino shitting up otherwise decent revolver threads. It's a fucking meme gun for snowflakes who like attention at the range.
>>
>>39128747
>>39128783
Revolvers tend to feel better in the hand. There's also what the Rhino does and puts the recoil inline with your hand.
>>
>>39137481
so the direct push recoil is not good?
>>
>>39137565
It doesn't magically make a lightweight aluminum .357 into a .22lr and the trade off is you get a shitty aluminum frame on an uncommon gun that has limited aftermarket from a company with questionable customer service.

Buying a rhino is like buying a desert eagle...no one does it because it's a good, practical gun...they do it because it looks cool.
>>
>>39137605
I didn't say it'd make a .357 into a .22lr, I said it had very little muzzle flip and instead the recoil is directed straight towards your shooting hand. Is that not something to want on other guns or are you just buttfluffled because you don't realize you're becoming a fudd?
>>
>>39137481
go buy a mateba and rub it in poor fags faces then instead of being a whiny faggot
>>
File: YoungFagsBeTrippin.jpg (105 KB, 600x442)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>39137645
I'm saying that as technologies mature they standardize around the most efficient form. That's why all companies started to make a Glock clone. The revolver standardized at the end of the 19th century. You get some playing around the edges by marketing people trying to get some sales. That's what the Rhino is. If the 6 o'clock bore was a revolutionary improvement to the use of revolvers it would supplant the older design. It isn't and it's not.

I get it that youngfags today are looking for some novelty in what must seem like a field of choices that are all basically the same gun with minor variations. That's just the way it is for a mature technology. Be glad you weren't born in the middle of the flintlock age. There was literally one handgun and one rifle and the one was just a short version of the other. For hundreds of years...lol
>>
>>39137698
>rub it in poor fags faces

I don't buy guns based on how other people will react to them.
>>
>>39137700
6 o'clock bore position came at a time when revolver usage was already declining, and on guns that were boutique and bizarre. The lockwork is more complex on a 6 o'clock shooter, too.
>>
>>39137716
>poorfag making excuses
>>
>>39137730
Revolver makers are double fucked. Not only is usage declining relative to autos but there is a massive amount of inventory from 100 years of production available on the used market.

If you want to make and sell new revolvers and you are not S&W or Ruger you have to win market share by either price or novelty. Companies like Taurus and Charter market based on price. Companies like Chiappa, Colt and Kimber market on novelty.
>>
>>39137732
Mateba is just as much of a meme as the Rhino. The difference is people buying/owning Matebas admit they want/got one because it looks fucking badass. Rhino fags try to justify their purchase by extolling the game changing recoil management design of their meme supreme. If they would just be as cool as Mateba fags about their fetish for funky looking shit instead of trying to sound smart talking about recoil they would get less shit.
>>
>>39137787
chiappa fags are mateba fags who are poor
>>
File: Bren-Ten-1.jpg (101 KB, 1000x657)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>39137031
>Which ship with the gun.
>>
>>39137809
And since they are poor they have to justify a purchasing decision of a meme supreme over something more practical by claiming it has magic powers other more pedestrian looking revolvers lack...
>>
File: 1521851245287-515151.jpg (42 KB, 720x719)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>39137824
I'll take cherry picked bullshit for $100.
>>
File: kikecat.jpg (41 KB, 640x480)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>39137031
>Which ship with the gun
>use to sometimes ship with 3
>now 1
for now goyim
>>
>>39128747
Wad cutters in a 8 shot 357/38 spl proves decent in ballistics tests and very minimal recoil and very high penetration

Ps. If you are CARRYING a 15 16 17shot
Semi autoloader they in a lot of cases
Give people shit in court because it for
whatever reason looks like your looking. for a fight to them so .... food for thought
>>
File: 686plus_blaster.jpg (947 KB, 3264x2448)
947 KB
947 KB JPG
delicious Vampire Metal Lazer.
>>
>>39128747
I'm a better shot with my J-frame than my Shield, so I carry my J-frame IWB and my Shield either in my car or backpack.
I'm also a Western-fag so I'm naturally more inclined to revolvers in the first place.

What I'm saying is, it probably is autistic but you should carry the gun you're the best shot with.
>>
>>39138544
>they in a lot of cases
>Give people shit in court because it for
>whatever reason looks like your looking. for a fight to them
sure thing Mas
>>
File: 1530490138185.jpg (91 KB, 700x443)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>
Could anyone reccomend me grips for the taurus 85? I need small ones that a speed loader won't catch on. Mine has big wood grips. I prefer wood but rubber would be fine.
>>
>>39144258
https://www.hogueinc.com/taurus-85-goncalo-checkered
These should work, also consider using speed strips instead.
>>
>>39144383
Yikes I don't recall grips being that expensive.
>>
>>39129851
That you can carry concealed? Be practical or you can clearly be seen as arguing from a place of emotion.
>>
What model S&W would you all recommend? I'm looking at buying a 357, 4 inch barrel, preferably an older one from 70s 80s. Also how much is a stupid amount to pay?
>>
>>39144556
One maybe advantage revolvers have is you can fire them while hiding it in a pocket. A semi could catch on the fabric.
>>
File: wm_3046057.jpg (444 KB, 2048x1536)
444 KB
444 KB JPG
>>39144720
If you want an old .357 S&W and you're not going to carry it, it's hard to beat a 27.
>>
>>39144485
They're probably less expensive from a distributor, and the smooth ones are only like $80 if you don't mind the gun squirming around under recoil
>>
>>39133365
You're delusional if you think 6 shots from a revolver is enough to stop an alaskan grizzly at full charge.
>>
File: custom686ssr.jpg (728 KB, 1280x960)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
>>39144778
That looks like a perfect carry size to me... The grips would be the only problem. A more rounded grip would be fine for carry.
I still enjoy revolvers and would depend on them for self defense, I just find the cylinder diameter to be annoying when concealed carrying, in comparison to a single stack 9mm.
>>
File: ruger454.jpg (562 KB, 1200x932)
562 KB
562 KB JPG
>>39145824
You're delusional if you think it'd take all 6. 454 casull is a bit more power than you seem to think.
>>
>>39144258
http://www.shoptaurus.com/revolver-grips
>>
>>39144720
I like the size of the K frame guns myself. so Model 19 or 66. As afar as price it depends on the condition you are looking for and how long you are willing to hunt for a bargain. I saw a decent looking model 19 sell for $350 the other day. It had plenty of honest finish wear but no rust or big dings in the metal. The short barrel models seem to bring the biggest premium to collectors after that is 4" and then 6".

If you want one in pristine collector condition with box and everything you're going to pay $1K+.
>>
File: 150254_06_lg_1.jpg (9 KB, 500x500)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>39145863
>I just find the cylinder diameter to be annoying when concealed carrying, in comparison to a single stack 9mm.
That's why the 27 is bad for carry. Not only is it a thicc N-frame, but the cast majority of them only hold six rounds.
Of course, it'll conceal just fine under any reasonable cover garment, provided it's riding in a good holster on a sturdy belt, and the extra weight means less recoil and makes it better as an impact weapon once it's empty, but most people would tend toward the 19/66/586/686/etc. for their carry needs since they're thinner, lighter, and have the same or better capacity.
>>
first revolver, a 627 Pro or PC in 4"
is this a good revolver to learn off of?
>>
>>39145824
A large bore like a .454 especially with modern bullets? You certainly don't need all six, assuming you get decent hits.
>>
>>39147154
Best training wheels revolver is a used S&W model 10. Always and forever.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&mfg=1000259&mo=3001877&Condition=4
>>
Have always carried a 38Spc S&M through my whole life in different types. Now the newest bodyguard.

No problems here
>>
>>39145824
>>39147173
wasn't there that recent (few years) account of a guy with the snubbie ruger alaskan .454 stopping a charging grizzly up in alaska?

Granted, the article did report the bear was not in peak conditions, it was starved. And the guy fell over as he backed up while shooting, so not all his shots hit, obviously.
>>
>>39147197
well, I am not really going to get much or many revolvers, unless I get tons of cash out of nowhere, so I am kind of going into this with both good practice AND actual usage, so I want the option of steady diet of .357 mag.
>>
>>39147222
Ruger GP100 for that scenario.
>>
>>39147222
If "actual usage" means CCW, consider a 686P unless you're willing to go out of your way to dress around the gun.
N-frames aren't impossible to conceal, but they are a lot bigger in person than they look in pictures.
>>
>>39147222
>I am not really going to get much or many revolvers

Bold words. Buy a nice used model 10 and you're gonna get rekt by the wheelgun bug. I'm getting chub just thinking about my 1948 example.
>>
>>39147253
no, just rotation night stand gun or even maybe open carry for that future prospect of finally owning some land to dick around on.
>>39147263
Oh, I am sure, but my small tiny arsenal is missing a bolt-action and a wheel gun. So I kind of want to fill it in with something that'll extend into being able to eat .357mag at least.

>>39147235
also in consideration, but I am also a fag for how a gun looks as well, and S&W has this department over ruger easy, although the Toklat .454 has a certain charm to it.
>>
>>39147283
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783401052
>>
>>39147321
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781251879
>>
>>39147325
https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&mfg=1000259&mo=3002582&Condition=4
>>
>>39147283
The Toklat .454 also feels like someone hit you in the palm with a baseball bat when you fire it, at least with full house loads.

...and this is coming from someone who owns multiple big-bore handguns. Get the normal super redhawk like >>39145871. And put that grip on it too; the factory grips kinda suck IMO.
>>
>>39128783
if i've got to shoot more than six shots, its not self-defense
>>
>>39147283
>and S&W has this department over ruger easy

Yeah, that's my only gripe with Ruger. They're strong as hell, very reliable, very accurate. But they're just...I dunno...boring to look at?

I have the exact same gun shown in >>39145871; I put that same grip on it too. I've had it for 20 years, it's my sidearm when I go hunting. It's never let me down and I've put a ton of rounds through it. It's a workhorse for sure. But it certainly doesn't give me the same boner as a Smith, Dan Wesson, or a Colt.
>>
Do you guys know of any 9x19 revolvers?
I've heard there are wheelguns that can shoot other "rimless" cartridges, but never a 9mm
>>
>>39147660
There are several. Ruger LCR, Chiappa Rhino, S&W (29, 986), Taurus 905, Ruger SP101, Charter Arms Pitbull.

...and of course the famous P47 Medusa if you feel like spending a ton of money and not hitting a damn thing.
>>
>>39147764
Thanks Boo
>>
>>39128747
Great. .44 Magnum is an excellent self defense round and revolvers are very reliable. They've killed more people than animals anyways.
>>
>>39147764
Whoops, that "29" under S&W should be 929.
>>
>>39147972
Not sure why S&W called it the 929 instead of naming it the 927 after the corresponding .357 like they did with the 986 (686→986, 27→927)
Also they should make a 949, 966, and 900 to round out the set.
>>
>>39129809
as a second to this - the way that semi-auto barrels often have a high/raised bore axis vs. a comparably sized revolver (memetaba not included here) means that it's easier to instinctively 'point-shoot' a revolver, whereas a semi-auto requires training to get it where you want it to fire.

There's also the legal/optics aspect of it in that shooting a criminal with a steel-and-wood 357 often plays better to juries than a large-framed polymer semi-auto. This has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the gun so much as our legal system/how the population understands guns.

Revolvers are especially good in 'occupied' states where semi-autos are often neutered re: capacity and looked down on. The difference between an 8r .357 and a 10r limited 9mm semi-auto balances the issues out.

There's also the fact that (while PCCs DO exist) a lot of Revolver rounds can be made hotter to work as brush/short range hunting guns vs. 9mm PCCs which are generally varminting guns at best.

Also, a number of revolvers can take multiple types of ammo (.327Fed can take nearly any .32, 357/38, 44Mag, etc) allowing for cheaper training ammo vs. carry-/firing ammo.

There's also the "all-in-one" factor for brush/bush hunting - a .454 casull or .44Mag can absolutely be a hunting gun, anti-bear gun, CCW gun (I don't recommend it, but, it's possible).

Revolvers STILL have their niche, it's just a much smaller one than before.
>>
>>39148164
>a .454 casull or .44Mag can absolutely be a hunting gun, anti-bear gun, CCW gun (I don't recommend it, but, it's possible).
If I could only have one gun, a .44 Mag would be a strong contender.
Hunting, HD, CCW, competition - it's not the best for any of them, but it's good enough at all of them that I wouldn't be missing out on much.
>>
>>39128783
>bad guy grabs for semi auto
>gun is pushed out of battery and jams after first shot
>get beat to death by my own jammed pistol
Or
>carry revolver
>bad guy grabs for it
>his fingers are blown off by cylinder gap
>pull trigger 4 more times till dead

Nobody ever fucking mentions this.
It’s always fucking fudd logic like “hurrr .357 is a manstopper” or “if you need more than 6 shots herp a derp” or “muh revolvers are more reliable!”
>>
>>39149914
to me not having the risk of the slide being pushed out of battery in a grapple is the main reason I prefer a revolver for self defense.
>>
>>39130352
>hurrr break-in periods don’t exist
The brass to the face thing sounds like something the warranty would cover. Everything else sounds like any new production auto. If anything, a break-in period of 3-400 rounds is evidence of tight factory tolerances, faggot
>>
>>39149867
Yeah, the nice thing about many revolvers is the ammo flexibility. You can use the shorter rounds like .38 or 44 spl for cheap plinking and the hotter stuff when you actually need the power.
>>
>>39130352
What's funny is that I had the exact opposite experience:
>>Buy fancy Kimber 1911 for $1500
>>Really enjoy shooting it.
>>Buy Glock 20
>>Double the capacity, more accurate, less finicky about ammo, easier to clean, fewer parts, easier to dis/re-assemble
>>1/3 the price
>>Sold the Kimber

I'll admit the Kimber had a better trigger but overall accuracy was worse, and about $100 in parts and the glock's trigger is nearly as good.
>>
>>39150020
>about $100 in parts
A small bottle of Flitz polish and an 8# connector are only $15 or so. What did you do to your Glock?
>>
>>39150486
I got the lower weight disconnector and a Lightning Strike trigger. Maybe it's just me but I really hate the feel of that narrow little safety lever in the center of the trigger. The Lightning Strike trigger still has that function, but instead of it being a narrow plastic piece with a fairly sharp edge, it has a wide, smooth, piece of aluminum instead. It feels just like an ordinary smooth trigger when you pull it, you can't feel the little "safety lever" at all.
>>
>>39150563
>I really hate the feel of that narrow little safety lever in the center of the trigger
I used to, too, but 5000 rounds later I've come to really appreciate how the serrated "target" trigger my 19 came with centers your finger and locks it in for that straight-back pull with no side-to-side squirming.
>>
>>39150641
Serrated triggers don't bother me one bit. It was just that little "edge" or nub on the safety lever. It's a minor irritation that bugged me, like a fly landing on your arm.

I wonder if I couldn't have simply sanded it down a hair, but whatever, I am happy with the lightning strike trigger.
>>
Why do .38 Special only revolvers still exist? It is an obsolete cartridge.
>>
>>39150997
Cheaper to make, cheaper to sell
>>
>>39150997
>obsolete cartridge

Would this hurt? I think it would hurt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU

I have no problem EDCing a .38. I did it for many years and still do on occasion.
>>
>>39128747
They have some niche applications where they are better like in a clinch but for the majority of stuff you are better off with an autoloader because of capacity and width. Revolvers are still good enough for anything a civvie is likely to encounter though, so if you want to carry one, go for it. As for animals, the real best solution is a 10mm glock like what the Alaskan police and Norwegian sled recon guys carry for anti moose/brown bear use with some hot FMJs.
>>
>>39151030
If you're going to carry a revolver with its limited capacity, why would you settle for .38?
>>
>>39133961
Really anything by S&W or Ruger that you like. All of their offerings are pretty solid, at least in terms of wheelgats
>>
>>39137498
>but bore axis is a meme

>>39137031
By that token revolvers require speedloaders to use effectively. Loading the chambers individually on a revolver is like loading the magazine on a pistol

Side note, why arent there any pistols where you could lock the slide to the rear and top off the magazine with loose ammo? That would be neat (besides that old ww1 Steyr thing without a removable magazine)
>>
>>39150997
>>39151041
I have no idea why someone would carry a 38 for defensive purposes, but it's still very commonly used tor target shooting.

Yes, you can shoot 38s in a 357 but when you do so there is more freebore for the bullet to pass before it hits the forcing cone. That reduces accuracy a little compared to firing full length ammo (i.e. 38 in a dedicated 38 wheelgun, or 357 in a 357). That's of little concern for a plinker but a big deal for a target gun.
>>
>>39151083
>>but bore axis is a meme
Bullshit.

There are plenty of videos up on YT and similar You can clearly see that the lower bore axis results in reduced muzzle flip.
>>
>>39151041
>If you're going to carry a revolver with its limited capacity, why would you settle for .38?

Because it's easy to shoot well and will get the job done? Some of us don't live in high threat environments anon.
>>
>>39151299
>You can clearly see that the lower bore axis results in reduced muzzle flip.

But does that reduction lead to more quality hits or is it just the difference between 5 shots in the bad guy's chest vs 5 shots a little closer together in the bad guy's chest?
>>
>>39128937
It's not just in Alaska retard, I hope a grizz kills your Glocktarded ass.
>>
>>39151299
>>
>>39151391
>But does that reduction lead to more quality hits
Clearly there's no way to know for sure. There's no doubt there is an advantage there, at least for rapid fire. Is it enough to matter? Different question entirely and I suspect it depends a lot on the shooter.

I don't own a Rhino but I have shot them at the range before. It felt better to me than a similar size/weight revolver but honestly my groups weren't much better. Then again I wasn't trying for super rapid fire.

>>39151758
I am an engineer anon. What exactly do you think that calculation is saying? Because I don't think it means what you think it means.
>>
>>39152148
Some good video here from Demolition Ranch:

https://www..youtube.com/watch?v=YPnFvtP7k70
...roughly the 2:00 mark. Note the Rhino has far less muzzle rise in the slowmo despite having a weight disadvantage compared to the steel frame and longer barrel of the standard revolver.
>>
>>39152258
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnFvtP7k70

It would be nice if I didn't fuck up the link like a retard.
>>
Picked up yesterday

.44 Magnum, 4-5/8” barrel.
>>
>>39152343
Guns should come with a pack of smokes.
>>
>>39152351
What kind tho
>>
>>39128864
From what i know there was a study of like 1700 to determine efficiency of different calibers in self defence.
Result was that it really doesn't matter what caliber you shoot, with exepcion of small calibers, like .32 ACP and lower.
Here is study: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power
Here is more"edible" form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>39152370
>>
>>39152351
*.44 Magnums should come with a *coupon for reloading tools/components
>>
Is it obnoxious/autistic to regularly open carry a massive revolver simply because I'm American and it's my right?
>>
>>39133438
Or the best of both of those 9x25 Dillon
>>
>>39133961
RIA M206
>>
File: 1533445945665.jpg (75 KB, 720x720)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>39156268
>tfw no 9x25mm revolver
>>
>>39156481
Just stop with this garbage. Save $50 or so more dollars and get a beater S&W model 10.
>>
>>39130160
the smith got those dirty harry lines
>>
Best .44 Mag revolver for carrying innawoods?
>>
>>39157028
329PD, 4.25" 69, or 4" 629 depending on how much of an ouncefag you are (25.2 oz., 37.4 oz., and 41.5 oz., respectively)
>>
File: 16675.jpg (33 KB, 580x422)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>tfw I carry a 5 shot 45LC revolver because semi-autos are too prone to failure when you need it.

Then again, could be just my bias with all the statistical data that less than 2 shoots is needed for 99% of encounters.

Still keep my STENDO clip GLAWK in my home tho.
>>
the only benefit of a revolver over a pistol is the fact you don't drop casings unintentionally, and that they are moderately simpler to use

99% of self defense situations do not require you to worry about leaving brass behind

but if you are in the 1% that do, you wouldn't be asking these questions so
>>
>>39157120
Wouldn't mind saving a little weight. A .44 Mag would primarily be a last ditch backup.
>>
File: 357maximumand357magnum.png (1.83 MB, 869x1714)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>39156544
Who cares when .357 Maximum exists?
>>
>>39137452

Yes you could and it would suck all the time
>>
>>39128783
Six shots is more than enough to kill anything that moves.
>>
>>39145824
This guy has a website selling grizzly-stopping ammo for 5-shot revolvers. Ruger Super Blackhawks are common bear stoppers when chambered in large cartridges like .454 Casull, and these pistols fire 5 shots.

"I hike, ride horses, hunt, and fish in grizzly country. When relying on a handgun, I carry a 500 Linebaugh or 475 Linebaugh with heavy hard cast, flat nosed bullets. It hammers grizzlies."

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=62
>>
File: 1519584475237.png (6 KB, 226x223)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>39151287
>as time went on, people built resistance to .38 special and it is no longer effective against humans
>>
>>39157126
I want the Police Undercover, but I also want their classic Bulldog.
>>
>>39145871
I do not understand why someone would consider something like this for outdoor use/animal defense.

The kick on these things is absurd. If an animal is attacking you, you're going to be firing DA, and you need to get fast hits. I can't imagine anyone doing that with a .454.
>>
File: 600px-WoGS&W640-3~2.jpg (10 KB, 169x334)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>39128827
>>39128783
>>39128798
>>39129505
>Not carrying 3 SW J-frames strategically placed on different parts of your body
>Any year
>>
File: brainlet.png (14 KB, 478x523)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>39159098
>lots of turn-of-the-century police departments and militaries adopted the 1903 Pocket Hammerless, therefore .32 ACP is still a totally viable defensive cartridge
>>
>>39161980
Modern .32 meets FBI minimum penetration requirements
>>
>>39162189
So does a 12" icepick.
>>
>>39134107
You can still buy police trade in guns for under $300
>>
>>39147197
Got one recently. I've really fallen in love with it.
>>
File: 100_2493.jpg (958 KB, 2048x1536)
958 KB
958 KB JPG
>>39162807
People think I'm memeing when I talk about how great they are. I'm not.

Pic related is my M&P made in 1948.
>>
File: 72345872458724.jpg (259 KB, 1394x929)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>39128783
>only 6 shots
>>
>>39162597
please die faster fudd
>>
>>39128747

Generally, when selecting a firearm, your first litmus test should be whether or not the gun is comfortable for you to handle. If it's not comfortable for you to use, you won't want to shoot it as often, which means less time training and familiarizing yourself with your firearm. For self-defense, the more training you have with the tool you're defending your life with is a good idea. Second, and just as important, is reliability. Do you know it's going to go boom when you pull the trigger? What are the odds of a malfunction and are those odds favorable enough that you're okay with trusting your life to them? Both revolvers and pistols can fit both of these categories, so picking one over the other is not an easy, black and white sort of answer.

I know I'll be corrected without mercy if I'm wrong here, but don't the vast majority of shootings occur with three rounds or less fired and at distances of 7 yards or lower? Most small framed pistols for concealed carry are going to have magazine capacities similar to that of a revolver anyways. Between that and the idea that revolvers are generally more reliable as they are simpler in design (usually) and have less things to go wrong, and that clearing a malfunction typically entails pulling the trigger again as opposed to racking the slide with your support hand (costing precious seconds in situations where seconds can decide whether you live or die), I don't see why going with a revolver is a bad idea. The only thing that stands out to me as a con with the least amount of ambiguity is the idea that due to the cylinder revolvers are going to be thicker with more uneven surfaces than pistols, especially single stack ones, so that raises concerns regarding printing and comfort whilst carrying.

Feel free to blow holes through this thought process if you can, as I'd be glad to learn something. This is just my $0.02 based on what little I know about firearms and surrounding topics.
>>
>>39163026
not an argument
>>
>>39128747
Where the revolver shines as a CCW weapon is in weight. Ounces add up and become pounds and that becomes cumbersome and uncomfortable, not to mention carrying too much additional weight can be harmful to your body. I carry a 3" Ruger LCRX. Loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 grain +p cartridges it only weighs 17.3 ounces which is about what an unloaded Glock 43 weighs. That cartridge from that 3" barrel can reach close to 1200fps and produce around 450 ft.lbs of energy. That's practically 357 magnum type power in a gun that weighs only an ounce over 1 pound. On days I have to dress up or tuck in a shirt i pocket carry the standard LCR which weighs less than 14 ounces loaded and with the boot grips installed. That makes for a very potent but also lightweight carry set up. Does that make it perfect? No. It's a compromise. Now if I lived in a place with an excessive dindu population or i was expecting trouble then i would want the greatest weapon capacity i could get my hands on.
>>
>>39163158
and comparing .32 to icepicks is?
>>
>>39163273
They both penetrate 12" of calibrated ballistics gelatin; where's the lie?
The ice pick probably does better against intermediate barriers like auto glass and sheet metal, too.
>>
>>39129829
>One shot of tree fiddy seven is worth a dozen shots of 9mm.
>*crack*
>>
>>39163420
.32 and .38 are viable defense cartridges and human anatomy has not evolved to make them less effective. Sorry you convinced yourself otherwise to justify the purchase of a 10mm auto or a .500 S&W, kindly go back to fantasizing about your tactics when taking down a platoon of gang bangers while the rest of us live in reality
>>
>>39163876
>A bow and arrow is a viable defensive tool and human anatomy has not evolved to make them less effective.
>Sorry you convinced yourself otherwise to justify the purchase of a gun, kindly go back to fantasizing about your tactics when taking down a platoon of gang bangers while the rest of us live in reality
>>
>>39129829
>One shot of tree fiddy seven is worth a dozen shots of 9mm.

t. boomer
>>
>>39147197
I love the Model 10. Great gun; my go-to belt gun.
>>
File: dealwithit.gif (872 KB, 500x281)
872 KB
872 KB GIF
Ive come to grips with my fuddness
I will probably only own revolvers from now on
I just cant get over keeping a semi auto with one in the stack
too many cases of glock leg

I know its the same thing. and revolvers with hammers are just as bad.
but whatever. Im already restricted to 10 rounds and the CA guns list.
might as well get 6 rounds of 357 than 10 of 9mm.
>>
>>39147197
this
every american should own a model 10. easily the best gun I own. or at least the most accurate handgun.
also they can shoot +P if made after the 50's.
>>
>>39163951
Ok so what's the minimum then
>>
Stop being a meme and carry a autoloader. The only people CCing revolvers are Fudds and 60 year old policemen. Maybe as a backup to your primary but even then. The ammo is a bitch to carry cuz with a revolver you either have shitty speed strips, loose ammo, dump pouches, or a speedloader that is as round as the cylinder. While an autoloader has 14-19 on tap in a slick and streamlined mag. Autoloaders take abuse better so dumping in the mud is not as bad for an autoloader as for a revolver. Autoloaders are all thinner than revolvers, most autoloaders have pic rail for light mounting. Stop CCing revolvers and join the glock masterrace
>>
>>39161980
>>
>>39128747
Hammerless j frame .357 is pretty okay for a like a jacket pocket, but if you’re gonna use a normal holster anyway there isn’t any reason to use one over a tried and true semi auto in 9 or 40
>>
>>39164065
>citation needed
I can make graphs in PowerPoint too anon. Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns. When it is all on the line when The Big Day comes, do you really want to only have a .32 acp thinking to yourself "geez only if I carried a better gun maybe I would not be in an ambulance"
>>
>>39164017
Personal preference, but for me I'd feel under-armed carrying anything less than 9mm +P.
>>
>>39163991
9+1 of .357 SIG
>>
>>39164162
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

King of one shot stop - .32
Highest rate of incapacitating overall - .357
Lowest average rounds fired until incapacitating - .22
Highest percentage of fatality - tie between .22 and .357

My minimum is to have a centerfire cartridge. Again I ask you: what's the minimum?
>>
>>39164249
So it's personal preference unless it's .38 or .32, got it.
>>
File: 100_2492.jpg (943 KB, 2048x1536)
943 KB
943 KB JPG
>>39164034
If I was a criminal, got paid to carry a gun for a living or had some other elevated threat lifestyle I would definitely carry a semi and reloads and probably wear soft armor too.

I'm not any of those things. The probability that I will ever need a gun in my day to day life is extremely low. The probability that I will need a gun and need more than 6 rounds to survive a defense gun use is even lower.

The probability that I will enjoy nerding out over carrying wheelguns all the time is extremely high.

I'm living my best life.
>>
>>39164324
Isn't this study flawed? Something like the guy dropped all non-one shot stops.
>>
>>39166189
>the guy dropped all non-one shot stops
Then how did he work out an average number of rounds until incapacitation?

There are definitely issues here, but they're more with limited sample size and no way to control for what kind of round. Anon's summary is fucking retarded, too - how is .32 the king of one shot stops at 40%, when .380, .357, .40 S&W, and .44 all rank higher?

Abnormally low sample sizes (like .32, with only 25 shootings total) should be disregarded entirely.
>>
File: young-ocelot-1024x576.jpg (53 KB, 1024x576)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>39158249
>>
>>39166141
If I was a criminal, I’d work on improving my marksmanship in stresssful situations and carry a fucking revolver so I didn’t have to worry about leaving casings behind when I clipped Mickey “Loose Lips” Bazinga, who squealed about that time we did that thing to the other guy.
>>
File: get it right pleb.png (25 KB, 2562x1404)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>39128747

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.