[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: school-of-athens.jpg (26 KB, 358x450)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Hey guys, same person as >>10115798 here. This post is about another friend of mine who does enjoy literature.

He really likes literary fiction, but he does not like genre fiction. Apparently, the stories are not serious or engaging enough, they do not deal with any interesting themes, no notable prose, and have overall no literary merit. I'm quite different. While as a whole I do not enjoy genre fiction that much, for reasons similar, I have encountered plenty decent books of that genre that I have enjoyed, such as a Voyage to Arcturus, which one could argue to be actually a literary fiction novel disguised as a science fantasy novel, due to things like prose, themes, and it overall being "deep", and are what made it different to some other generic sci fi novel in my eyes.

Based on what I said, what other genre fiction books do you think he'd enjoy?

Could not find any related pic, so pic unrelated.
>>
Harry Potter
>>
Tolkien
>>
>>10119246
>>10119248
Hahaha! Nice bait! But I won't fall for your tricks that easy!
>>
try James Ellroy
>>
>>10119184
Is Harold Bloom's sequel to Voyage to Arcturus any good?
>>
>>10119329
Never read it. Apparently not, since not even Harold liked it.
>>
>>10119184
Crichton's Sphere is a favorite
>>
Solaris. It's a science fiction novel about how science fiction is wrong. I found the descriptions of the planet wonderful and thought it made very valid points about how we treat space travel and alien minds in science fiction.

"We are only seeking Man. We have no need of other worlds. A single world, our own, suffices us; but we can't accept it for what it is. We are searching for an ideal image of our own world: we go in quest of a planet, a civilization superior to our own but developed on the basis of a prototype of our primeval past. At the same time, there is something inside us which we don't like to face up to, from which we try to protect ourselves, but which nevertheless remains, since we don't leave Earth in a state of primal innocence. We arrive here as we are in reality, and when the page is turned and that reality is revealed to us - that part of our reality which we would prefer to pass over in silence - then we don't like it anymore."
>>
>>10119369
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. I'll check it out to see if he'd like it.

>>10120180
Oh, I've heard of Solaris. I haven't read it yet, but I will eventually. Perhaps he would enjoy that one.

Anything else?
>>
File: 1497921809904.jpg (38 KB, 361x489)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
The Bible
>>
>>10120641
Well, only the first half anyway.
>>
Tolkien
Philip K. Dick
Octavia Butler
Asimov's robot stories
Vonnegut
>>
>>10120844
Forgot Jules Verne. That might be up his alley.
>>
>>10119184
Lovecraft for horror. Specifically The Shadow over Innsmouth. Although, that may be non-fiction.
>>
>>10120844
Vonnegut is genre fiction?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.