[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Been reading myths recently and it's a nice change of pace from what I usually spend time reading. Can y'all recommend some collections of Mythology and folk tales? Didn't see any on the wiki.

Anything except for Greek and Egyptian myths would be great, as I already own some.
>>
Ovid's Metamorphoses (Mandelbaum)
Boccaccio's Decameron (G. H. McWilliam)
Le Morte d'Arthur
Brothers Grimm
Hans Christian Andersen
The Dream of the Rood
Beowulf
The Aeneid (Fitzgerald)
Prose Edda
Poetic Edda
Sagas of Icelanders
>>
>>10265697
>(Fitzgerald)
Dryden*
>>
Thank you. Since I don't read Bokmal, would you recommend one Edda over the other? I'm leaning toward Prose but I'm not sure what to expect from the poetic version.
>>
>>10265697
>Prose Edda
>Poetic Edda
fuck these, read the Icelandic Sagas like he says instead. Njal's saga, Grettir's saga in particular
>>
>>10265895
If I'm being totally honest I want to read all 3. I just don't know if Prose or Poetic Edda would be ideally read one before the other, or if Icelandic Sagas include these stories, or if I would enjoy the Icelandic Sagas more if I had the information from reading Edda before reading Icelandic Sagas.
>>
>>10266530
Read prose, then poetic, then the sagas. No idea why anon says drop the eddas for the sagas, the eddas are the myths and the sagas are just folklore within the culture.

Also you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not read the Epic of Gilgamesh and Enuma Elish (often bundled together as "myths from Mesopotamia" and similar) and the Mahabharata which is huge but completely worth it.
>>
>>10266556
Oh and I also forgot the Popol Vuh.
>>
>>10266556
Thanks.The Mahabharata seems really intimidating but, it looks like a great time. It's nice to know that I can read one of these for a good while, at least. I avoided myths (and short stories, too) for a long time because I'm so disappointed when they're over.
>>
File: kayakfullofghosts.jpg (36 KB, 232x346)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
A Kayak Full of Ghosts: Eskimo Tales
>>
File: Cuinbattle.jpg (801 KB, 994x1432)
801 KB
801 KB JPG
if you're interested in Irish myths then read the Táin Bó Cúailnge.

If you're interesting in Welsh myth's then check out The Mabinogion.

If you want something German then read The Nibelungenlied.

If you want something Scandinavian the read Heimskringla.
>>
>>10265657
This book of Russian Fairy Tales is beautiful, with illustrations by Ivan Bilibin. I had a different version of this book as a child: https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Tales-Alexander-Afanasyev/dp/1909115592/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2PGYC6X83TFG5EZJAHWQ
>>
>>10267304
>>
>>10267307
>>
>>10267304
>>10267307
>>10267311
Is this one worth it you think? I come from Brittany.

https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Tales-Enchantment-Scotland-Brittany/dp/145215175X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T0P4ZBWT99GYR1Z12RQQ
>>
File: 1510380790176.gif (3.64 MB, 473x265)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB GIF
>>10265657
The Popol Vuh
Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
American Indian Mythology - Alice Marriot
>>
>>10265726
Unless you know enough Norwegian to easily distinguish between bokmål and nynorsk you refer to the language as norwegian, as in "I don't read norwegian"
>>
>>10265657
>that Fenrir/Hati
If you want more moon-swallowing check out the Slavic god Horz/Khors/Hors. He's sometimes associated with wolfs that swallow the sun.
>>
>>10265726
Orchard is pretty decent.
>>
>>10268846
wolfs that swallow the moon* I meant, fuck.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.