[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

For me, it's Thomas Ligotti
>>
he is the bloody discharge of a failed vagoo cycle. find a better hero.
>>
>>11448324
Agreed. I hope he comes out with more work soon
>>
>>11448348
Same. I need another short horror collection from this mans tortured mind
>>11448344
Thats what makes him so good
>>
Ligotti is easily the best modern horrorist. I also like Mark Samuels a lot. Jon Padgett's first book has two GOAT pieces but I want to read more before I assess him properly. Brendan Connelly only has one horror book, Unpleasant Tales, but he's a much better writer and stylist than any of the boring fucks like Laird Barron or Scott Nicolay (who seems wanted to be "literary fiction" but couldn't do they settled for horror).

>>11448348
He had to almost die in emergency surgery to write his only two stories in over a decade. I want mor Ligotti Too but I'll be fucking surprised if we get anything besides a "well, he's some early unpublished stuff we found" after he died.
>>
>>11448902
Brendan Connell, not Connelly. Dumb phoneposting
>>
Anyone know how healthy he is?
>>
>>11448902
>Laird Barron
It's like if Netflix did a "Lovecraftian" series.

You know who is a cool guy? Robert Aickman. But he is dead.
>>
>>11450358
I haven't read much Aickman but yeah he has some great stuff. The Swords, The Hospice.
Michael Cisco is another great living one, but his stories are either unique masterpieces or bafflingly cryptic.
>>
>>11448324
>>11448348
>>11448423
>>11448902
Are you people serious? I went through half of Songs of a Dead Dreamer and gave up over how cliche, dull, and predictable it was. His horror is copypasta tier.
>>
Do you like Ramsey Campbell I do
>>
>>11450567
Let me guess, you like King
>>
>>11450567
You have to read Teatro Grottesco or Grimscribe. Songs of a Dead Dreamer was written before he found the style and themes he's renowned for. I think he even disavowed parts of it (at least the very first story).
>>
>>11448324
What are your opinions on Shirley Jackson, I hear she is very overrated?

What Japanese horror writers do you guys recommend?
>>
>>11448324
risking to sound like a pussy ass faggot but
does every single one of his stories have that existential dread like the conspiracy to mankind? or does he have some less downer stuff?
>>
On the Creation of Niggers

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger
>>
>>11451773
Its pretty much all massively depressed downer shit dude, but isnt that the nature of horror? Like I dont think ive ever been chuckling with a carefree smile while reading horror, nor would I want to be
>>
I havent read any of his fiction and i dont really care too much for spooky shit, but i did enjoy the conspiracy, was a fresh new look at life for me
>>
>>11452568
>>11448324

can someone give me the gist of this guy? I've heard good things but if it's just edgy stuff for the sake of being edgy...
>>
>>11452755
depends how you read it just like anything in literature, i read the conspiracy and he seemes like a perfectly stoic person coming to a conclusion that conciousness was suffering and that we could end it by ceasing to reproduce he also explores other ideas about conciousness and its very interesting, especially if you like kant and hegel's work since he talks about their ideas and builds upon some of them
>>
>>11452755
>>11452788
his fiction is way better than Conspiracy Against the Human Race, which does admittedly amount to "boo hoo life is shit and i hate it and we should just give up". Not saying i disagree with that outlook but after a hundred pages or so, i was ready to be done, like, i get the point ya know?
his short horror fiction is TOP TIER horror, and i highly recommend it
start with Songs of a Dead Dreamer and move forward from there
>>
>>11451773
Nah I agree, good horror should be like a cool wind at night. Innervating as well as chilling. Some 'horror' is such a betrayal of basic human joy that it's nothing but a disaster. Horror or not, it's still entertainment. And more than anything, horror that forgets that becomes insufferably pretentious
>>
File: teatrogrottesco.jpg (48 KB, 311x475)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>11451773
i disagree strongl with this guy >>11452513
Ligotti is fucking hilarious sometimes, like his cynical wit really comes out in some stories and he makes a joke of death and depression all the time but then goes a full 180 (360 degrees huehuehueheu) and chills you to the fucking bone with his surrealist/abstract situational drama and disorienting prose
he's the fucking bomb dude, especially Teatro Grottesco. oh my gosh, that collection in particular is just like a pure abstract nightmare from cover to cover. there are high points in all of his collection and i really liked SoaDD second best, but man Grottesco is the cream of the crop
>>
>>11452897
thats not what i got from the conspiracy but i guess i like to look at people's ideas and philosophy as ingredients for a solid foundation, i never try swallowing one idea and see how it goes, but yeah if you just look at the book and simply read it as is you are gonna get the impression that he is throwing a fit and needed a vice for his dark thoughts
>>
File: md22814953156.jpg (26 KB, 300x475)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>11452930
yea i'm not saying it was all edgy trash, it had a lot of valuable commentary on other philosophical viewpoints, and it is also the book which introduced me to Thomas Metzinger, which is some really good shit. if nothing else, Conspiracy is easily the most outstanding text of the antinatalist movement, and of the decade overall
posting another Songs of a Dead Dreamer cover because damn this book has some GOAT covers
>>
You guys should check out Richard Gavin's stuff. Very influenced by Machen & Blackwood with a few homages to Lovecraft & his own breed of Nature-oriented pagan horror
>>
File: arthur machen.jpg (189 KB, 936x902)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>11448324
>>11452965
should i buy it guys?
>>
>>11453096
machen is alright, just alright. a bit dull imo
>>
>>11452952
did you get the sence that he was specifically and antinatalist from that text ? I thought he just brougth the idea up and said it was rational, not that he was specifically part of that movement
>>
>>11453144
pure rationality can inevitably only lead one to antinatalism, even if he doesn't come right out and use the buzzword
>>
>>11452897
>but after a hundred pages or so, i was ready to be done, like, i get the point ya know?
totes sistah
>>
>>11453157
luv ya gurl
>>
>>11453152
i dont believe that to be the case, in fact you are greatly over-simplifying what meta-physics it trying to achieve and how we can broaden our understanding on what it means to exist in this universe and how we relate to it, but just assuming that everything is chaos without a posteriori doesnt seem intelligent to me
in another sence yes antinatalism is a pitstop if you will, for a rational evaluation on what we should persue and understand about ourselves, but it is not the end all of all phylosophical dogma
>>
>>11450339
not very
>>
File: Rust.jpg (925 KB, 2400x1800)
925 KB
925 KB JPG
Unironically the best thing to come out of Ligotti was True Detective
>>
>>11448324
1/5th of ligottis work is brilliant but outside of that is some of the most boring shit iv ever read.
>>
>>11453206
but that 1/5th though.... DAMN good shit
>>
>>11453206
name the 1/5 th im interested
>>
>>11453096
Do it. Machen was a practicing wizard and one of the all-time great decadents. He even wrote a treatise on aesthetics which itself is worth a look.
>>
File: isglasses.png (1.24 MB, 1090x1590)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>11453332
>a practicing wizard
>>
>>11453203
this but ironically
>>
>>11450339
He has suffered from severe stomach issues for decades, and it's mentioned in his work a few times. I read an interview somewhere where he said he would commit suicide immediately should all members of his close family pass away. Pretty hardcore.
>>
>>11453668
nothin' but love for Tom
>>
>>11451181
Very underrated
>>
please write some more short stories for us Tommy. please release another collection.
>>
File: pantslet.jpg (52 KB, 659x613)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
I don't understand what was going on in Purity. What was the significance of the police officer being a hermaphrodite, and what was the deal with the mom and sister?
>>
>>11453854
The mother set the kid up to be killed by the policeman.
>>
>>11453668
Far as I know he lives with his younger brother who's an amputee and apparently a much bigger cynic than Tom. On the TLO forum he once described their relationship is "talking about pessimism, if I'm Sherlock Holmes then my brother is Mycroft."
>>
>>11453668
>he would commit suicide immediately should all members of his close family pass away. Pretty hardcore
how the fuck is that hardcore, suicide is the most logical thing to do if every single person from your close family ( especially children) dies
>>
>>11454928
>more cynical than Tom
Yikes
>>
>>11454928
Wew lad, I hope his brother writes something.
>>
>>11453096
Machen is a winrar, I wish I had 700 pages of his writing

>>11453702
Campbell never seems to mess up, I want to read one of his Universal Studios monster novelizations that exist for some reason... I can't see how they could be good yet I trust his magic
>>
Once Ligotti and Campbell drop dead what the hell will become of Lovecraftian horror?
>>
>>11457122
It'll continue to thrive with all those Steampunk/Autumn/Redneck/Etc Cthulthu anthologies and writers like Scott Nicolay will keep writing Lovecraftian stories despite going all SJW on the man himself and his problematic views. Then maybe in 50 years or so the world will see another writer of enough caliber to continue the Poe/Lovecraft/Ligotti lineage
>>
>>11457237
>It'll continue to thrive with all those Steampunk/Autumn/Redneck/Etc Cthulthu anthologies and writers like Scott Nicolay will keep writing Lovecraftian stories despite going all SJW on the man himself and his problematic views
Why is life so awful?
>>
>>11448324

I am going to buy a bulk of horror literature to read, and I was wondering if Rosemary Baby is any good?
>>
>>11457305
No. Read 'The Duniwich Horror' instead. Much more interesting take on the 'devil baby
>>
>>11451526
havent read anything by her outside the lottery, which was good and tight.
>>
>>11451526
She's good but it's often her sense of humor that stands out the most

>>11457122
Nothing that doesn't eventually happen to everything
>>
>>11448324
Graham Masterton
>>
>>11448324
Anyone knows a horror lit forum? This board is slow af
>>
>>11457305
>>11457363
Rosemary's Baby is still a worthy read, pretty intense pregnancy but I will admit it hasn't aged as well.
>>
>>11455921
how can he?
>>
File: i wish it were NYBR.jpg (104 KB, 718x1080)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>11454928
>>11453668
Now this guy sounds like the type of nutcase that deserves his cult following.
>>
>>11448324
>>11457122
Give me a couple more years boys I am going to elevate the genre to new heights. Stories of frantic nihilism
>>
>>11458424
How will we look you up
>>
>>11451484
The first story, 'The Frolick' did suck. The Last Feast of the Harlequin in Grimscribe was good. What is your favorite?
>>
>>11448324
I'd suggest MR James, great English ghost story writer (and medieval scholar) who Lovecraft was a great admirer of.
>>
File: Aickman Faber.jpg (250 KB, 634x999)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Step aside plebs
>>
>>11457771
Wow, that looks edgy. Fucking Penguin.
>>
>>11459731
>look at me, I twist anglonigger sexual depravity to half-cooked mysteries, bro cause meaning is not important it's deep bro
>>
>>11459731
We already mentioned him you homofagual
>>
>>11459339
"The frolic" starts very conventional but the ending is GOAT. That little paragraph of John Doe's note contains more horror than entire books by many other authors. Pretty sure Ligotti said in an interview he deliberately wrote it in a conventional realistic manner because he was still worried about whether or not he could actually sell a story and figured that would help.
HOWEVER the one story of his I think is just flat-out bad is "conversations in a dead language."
My favourite would be either "the bungalow house" or "dr voke and mr veech"
>>
>>11452019
top kek I have to read his stuff
>>
>>11460398
That's one of Lovecraft's poems.
>>
>>11457571
What? Is he missing both of his arms? Even if he is he could dictate to Thomas.
>>
>>11457771
What a terrible cover. The first was prefect.
>>
>>11459339
I really enjoyed The Frolic t.b.h.
>>
>>11457771
>Rob Zombie Presents: The Conspiracy Against the Human Race

>>11460398
>>11460452
He was also redpilled about Jewish control of the media... quite a forward-thinking fellow, on the right side of history.
>>
>>11460051
true that, i got the hippocampus press copy.
>>
Is TCATHR brainlet friendly for somebody who has barely read philosophy?
>>
>>11454928
>>11453668
I have worse health problems than both of these guys put together (damaged spine making it impossible for me to walk, skull fracture from childhood abuse, deaf for most of my life, constant painful acid reflux, painful psoriasis and bleeding covering most of my body) and I'm a happy faithful Christian and my students light up with delight whenever they see me (I support myself by teaching elementary school and writing). These people and everyone like them would be miserable even if they had perfect bodies and lives. I doubt their medical conditions or whatever other bad things they claim happened to them in their lives had any influence whatsoever on their worldview and they instead simply appropriated them ex post facto as justifications via emotional appeal of sympathy. What whiny manipulative weaklings.
>>
only thing that ever shook me was this thing he wrote called the New supervisor or something, it was in grottesco.
whole story is told from a factory worker with severe anxiety. wants to leave shithole town and shithole job but only has enough money to afford the anti-anxiety drugs every week, and those are slowly getting more expensive.
so, supervisor at a factory comes in, says numbers are down, new head guy coming in to pick up the slack. no one knows who it is, and the only person to see them dies.
So worker and company keep working, are subtly tricked into working for longer every day, at a faster pace.
At the end of it, he's sleeping on a mat, the places is running 24/7 with people only getting a few hours of sleep between shifts as everyone feverishly works the assembly line, and it never ends, with the guy stuck in that cycle forever.

there's probably scarier stories written by him, but more that sharks or zombies or anything, a stagnant future without hope or rest scares me more than anything.
>>
>>11463074
Yes
>>
File: file.png (559 KB, 496x600)
559 KB
559 KB PNG
>>11463658
there were a few stories in Grottesco with that same vibe if i recall, may have been every story in that part of the book
i can't remember if The Red Tower was in that part, i think it was. but that is, in my opinion, his best story. the pinnacle of his style. the perfect abstract nightmare.
>>
>>11463211
you stupid crippled piece of shit, if they were severely mangled or seriously sick, even more than they are now, that would just be simple straightforward explanation and reasoning away, of their thinking and worldviews, but they are not, so it means it's about their ideals and ideas which is something deeper and what is important. Same for True Detective, main character became 'pessimist' after losing child, now imagine if dumb film industry created 'pessimist' without easy explanation like that, they would be lost. Wait, there is a reason to be pessimistic about everything without straightforward reason, which is not just a reaction to some dumb tragedy? That would be too transgressive for them and they went cop-out. Most people do.
>>
>>11463658
Alternate title: "Spook factory"
>>
>>11463074
Ligotti basicly explains the theories he refferences and everything is written very plainly
>>
File: 41hwmHbbwjL.jpg (21 KB, 334x500)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>11448324
>>
>>11463211
>These people and everyone like them would be miserable even if they had perfect bodies and lives.
True

>I doubt their medical conditions or whatever other bad things they claim happened to them in their lives had any influence whatsoever on their worldview
Right

>they instead simply appropriated them ex post facto as justifications via emotional appeal of sympathy.
No, he doesn't do that

>>11464662
Too fantasy-based to be effective as horror imo
>>
>>11463211
The Ligotti brothers aren't edgelords or whiny. I'm pretty sure they have some kind of genetic defect that prevents them from experiencing joy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.