[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1521686792272.jpg (34 KB, 630x630)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Could you write great /lit/ if you don't read, or does it make you a fraud?
>>
I would say yes because of guys like the ancient Greeks but I'm guessing you don't have a community of storytellers around you so no, you need to read.
>>
you should never read anything, it will make your work derivative

real niggas reinvent everything by themselves
>>
>>11452794
I think /lit/ overestimates how much reading you have to do to be a writer, and >>11453084
is unironically correct when he points out that reading too much can make your work derivative.

That said, you can learn a lot by reading bad fiction. You can also expand your concept of what a story is by reading certain writers (Borges is a common example).

Past a certain point though, you only get better through practice. Reading can only get you so far.
>>
>>11452794
yes brew.
>>11453084
yes brew
>>11453108
yes brew
>>
You can't write if you don't read, dick fuck.

Outline your story and characters. Get a good sense as to what your story is about. Then look up similar books and read as many of them as you can. You learn the tropes of the genre and can figure out clever ways to subvert them.

Or just be a faggot, I don't care.
>>
>>11453363
>genre

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.