[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 116 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: IMG_20170818_061710.jpg (60 KB, 960x960)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
IT WAS GREAT BOYS
REALLY, REALLY GOOD
GO SEE IT BEFORE YOU GET SPOILED
Blade Runner general discussion thread.
Gosling was actually putting in his all
Ford actually gave a fuck unlike TFA and the difference between the two is downright funny
You wont see the twist coming
And in some ways, it gets the themes of PKD novels down better than the original, although I will say the original had a stronger ending, but that doesn't detract from 2049. Dont expect some crazy marvel tier action scene finale like so many crap movies have to shove in.
>>
And yes, the pic is pixelated on purpose. Cant let myself underestimate autism so ill just say that now
>>
File: 1280x720-6vZ.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>15937782
Was it Good good or was it "Star Wars: the Force Awakens" good?
>>
>>15937788
Actually good, where you leave the theater and your brain feels like goo because you're absorbing everything you experienced

I loved this movie. Absolutely. If you didn't like the original not bother, though.
>>
>>15937935
>where you leave the theater and your brain feels like goo because you're absorbing everything you experienced
Like after you've watched a transformers movie? Cause that shit takes a lot of time and brainpower to process.
>>
>>15937944
No. Not in a you've been made a retard way.

But like you've read or experienced something significant
>>
>>15937782
Yeah, I was just talking in another thread earlier about how the early reviews for the movie seemed really good, I'm glad my fellow /m/en concur. I really wanted to see it today but like all the showings for it at the nearby theater were already sold out! Guess I'll catch it tomorrow. All in all it seems like a pretty pleasant surprise, me and most folks were expecting it to be another cheap cashin nostalgia but it seems they really put a ton of effort into it.
>>
I think the first 30 minutes to hour could have used some more editing down and it 100% needed a better credits song, but otherwise A+.
>>
File: cheertoko.jpg (70 KB, 204x196)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Neat. I might go see it.
>>
>>15937964
>I'm glad my fellow /m/en concur

for now, retards and shitposters will appear
>>
>>15937782
>you won't see the twist coming
EVERYONE WAS REPLICANTS ALL ALONG AND THEY WERE JUST PRETENDING TO NOT BE AWARE OF IT
did I guess right?
>>
>>15938000
No the spoiler is that androids do indeed dream of electric sheep.
>>
>>15938000
This movie was literally designed from the ground up to subvert that very expectation. Like it doesn't even matter whose a replicant by the end. Hell, its not even clear about it, and thats a good thing
>>
>>15938153
In fact its implied that Leto is talking Bullshit when hes has his conversation with Deckard
>>
I certainly didn't go in expecting Gosling to be playing as a stereotypical 4channer kek
>Tfw no hologram waifu
>>
>>15937788
Well TFA only looks good in comparison to Rogue One so no. 2049 is genuine.
It also will make everyone forget the GitS movie even exists. Whoever wrote Live action GitS got BTFO on every level today
>>
>>15938153
EVERYONE IS A CYLON SKINJOB

WOOOOOOW

Well if everyone is a skinnie, then it's like no one is I guess.
>>
File: frvgrsefv.jpg (6 KB, 124x186)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>15938181
Oh hey that's right!

Remember when we were all wondering which one of the two remakes would come to re-define cyberpunk movies for the years to come? Remember when the GitS remake turned out to be a generic mid-2000s dark superhero flick that barely made its budget back?

Boy was that awkward.
>>
>>15938195
I'll be less vague and tell you that's not the case at all.
>>
File: blade runner gun.png (1.09 MB, 1289x729)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
I hope it is as good as reviews are making it to be

I am a big fan of the original movie, and the trailers for BR 2049 didnt capture the tone/mood that made the original so good.

I mean, I want BR 2049 to be its own movie and not be chasing nostalgia. I hope it is something like Empire Strikes Back, or Terminator 2 or Aliens, which were all movies that were sequels but were different from the first movie but still expanded the universe of the first movie in a great way.
>>
>>15938244
It contrasts the original in a lot of ways while using it as a building block. It's not a soft reboot as much as a full on sequel that fully depends on everything that happened in the original.
>>
>>15938244
Chasing nostalgia is fine when you actually manage to recapture the tone and mood of the original.

>>15938181
I don't think that guy was trying to blow anyone's mind when he lazily copy-pasted GitS references into the script of Equilibrium/Elektra/Underworld/Aeon Flux and decided that the mandatory "mid-plot shocking reveal that makes the protag turn against her secretly villainous boss" would be the corporate whitewashing that pissed everyone off.
>>
>>15938244
Its definitely its own thing, with alot of callbacks of course, but in an appropriate way. You'll like it.
Also Book nerds will be happy to know that it references several book-only scenes. Specifically the other Blade Runner that book Deckard met and the scenes outside the populated part of the city
>>
>>15938288
callbacks and references are really tricky to do right, I hope they're not obnoxious or half-assed
>>
Also keep in mind that no animals in this movie are real. My autism for book-accuracy flared up for a bit hut the movie addressed my concerns
Although now its an electric dog & electric bees instead of an electric sheep and an electric goat
>>
>>15938293
For the book references it stays very subtle and for the references to the first film, they mostly occurred when the characters were directly discussing the events of the original, with Deckard present. So its not that bad, tastefully done.
>>
>check /tv/ 2049 threads
>Theyre talking about how "bad" the Pacific Rim 2 trailer looked
Those fun-hating tryhard cocksuckers. I guess I only have myself to blame. Also trying to meme that Letos character did nothing wrong doesn't even work in the context of this movie. Hes not exactly a Griffith style antagonist to say the least
>>
>>15938322
Anon that music choice was awful and you cannot pretend otherwise.
>>
>>15938322
Current 2049 /tv/ threads are about how "It's a great film, if you're not a woman" and how "it paints an all-white future, again".
>>
>>15938330
In Pac rim trailer? I didn't even notice it because I was too focused on seeing how many pilots the Jeagars had
>>
Giv Joi GF
>>
>>15938509
Japan is gonna love this film because of her
>>
>>15938509

>Eli Roth is married to that

HOW
>>
File: Spoiler Image (9 KB, 480x360)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
the real spoiler is that it's ME AUSTIN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG
>>
File: 1457758339974.png (162 KB, 480x502)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>15937782
Caught the first show on first show.
Loved the movie. I wasn't expecting it to be this good and gets everything right as a sequel should be.
I have noticed in backstory stuff they talked about in the movie was kind of similar to Armitage 3's plot,i.e. an android that can reproduce
>>
>>15938877
>Caught the first show on first show.
*Caught the fist show on first day
>>
>>15938877

The "Blackout" backstory reminded me a bit of Big O with the whole "City with no memory" thing.
>>
>>15937961
>But like you've read or experienced something significant
Same here.
>>
>>15938877
Replicants are basically just bioroids, it makes sense.
>>
I haven't watched the original in years, any particular cut I should watch before I go see 2049?
>>
File: blade-runner-2049-2.jpg (183 KB, 670x447)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
Fuckin' AI waifu murdering bitch.
>>
File: S7xHwHp.gif (41 KB, 650x500)
41 KB
41 KB GIF
>>15937782
I feel the part from leaving Las Vegas to the final scene (with the excetion of K/Joe and the JOI hologram) was really a step down from the rest of it. Felt like a different movie and the fight really dragged.

Hover the rest is definitely great and gets the best out of all the actors involved.

>>15938171
The first few minutes of her introduction seemed to be this at first, which I cant help but find hilarious.
>>
>>15937788
The Force Awakens fails as a sequel and standalone movie. At best its a competent, yet completely disposable flick that time won't be kind towards. Fanservice overloaded, terribly written, painfully derivative, poorly paced movie that stars a Mary Sue who will likely be a chore to write around in future installments. Meanwhile, Blade Runner 2049 respects its predecessor and manages to explore worthwhile new territory. Beautifully shot, expertly acted, and wonderfully scored. Legitimately one of the best sequels in the history of the cinema.
>>
>>15938000
No
>>
Loved the story of K: his journey, his struggles, his revelations and resolutions

Hated the forced escalation of the final act. The movie seemed to think that I cared about the replicant child's impact on society at large, when I only care about how it affects K.
>>
>>15940004
The Final Cut is considered the best version of Blade Runner by 99.7% of the BR fanbase. It has all the corrections needed and no George Lucas pointless changes.
>>
Finally managed to check it out today. I really enjoyed it--I was kinda dubious for the first scenes, but found myself intrigued by K's relationship with Joi, and then when we got to Wallace's headquarters, the cinematography, shot composition, and hearing Deckard and Rachael again had me hooked.

I'm not entirely sure if I'd call it better than the original. I didn't care for the music that much--the return of a couple songs by Vangelis were the high points of the score, IMO, but all the original music wasn't anywhere near as good as the old track was. The music for the fight scenes, in particular, struck me as pretty ho-hum and pedestrian. And while the cityscape aesthetics were great, they didn't have quite the same impact as they did when I first saw them in Blade Runner and was blown away. So I think the first one still has the top spot in my heart, but it's clear they put a lot of effort into 2049 and realized what made the original great, mostly hitting the mark. Definitely a satisfying sequel.
>>
>>15938880
I noticed that too, all the orphans really reminded me of Big O.

I also like how Gosling's character was named K, coincidentally or not.
>>
>>15937782

Saw the Final Cut of the original film, saw all three interequal short films in chronological order, and read that timeline. Will be watching 2049 in a few hours.
>>
>>15940534
Love kills Joy

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>15937782
It really is an amazing film on just about every level...

...and yet I didn't like it. If it was its own original thing and didn't have Blade Runner written on it I'd probably like it a lot more. It's too sterile, and too unambiguous, for my tastes.

>>15940753
It removed my beloved "fucker" line, so Director's Cut remains top for me.
>>
>>15941701
Thank you for using our product
>>
File: images (11).jpg (7 KB, 185x139)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Watching this on IMAX was so fucking worth it. Man, what a trip, it's been more than a day and I still can't get over this. Probably movie of the year 2017 for me. Go see it, /m/en, I'm actually embarrassed for even being hyped about Pacific Rim 2 after getting to experience this sequel.
>>
>>15938195
You know, if they casted Katee Sackhoff as Madamme, this line would have been perfect.
>>
>>15940004
I think it's directors cut that removed Harrison fords dumb ass detective babble so I'd say that one, him narrarating always ruined the vibe to me
>>
>>15938795
Actually, isn't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_de_Armas
She is free atm.
>>
>$13 million opening day
BOMBA
>>
File: 1491790139803.gif (360 KB, 500x375)
360 KB
360 KB GIF
Just got back.

It's so good I think I'm gonna puke. Shit, man, why didn't I spring for Imax.
>>
I don't even own a player yet but I think I might make this the first 4k Blu-ray I buy
>>
>>15943331
definitely re-watching it in IMAX myself
>>
>>15940610
The final act still focuses on though, it's just less obvious about it because now K is focusing on others instead of his own journey.
2049 is dare I say it Kino and I don't mean it in the shitty meme way.
This is a genuinely well directed and composed film.
It's crazy how much of a pleb filter it is though, I keep hearing stories of droves of people leaving theaters because they expected a marvel-tier action fest.
>>
>>15941701
Don't get married, stay a lonely otaku neet
joi in some aspects is a symbol of mass consumerism or at least the need to fill the holes in our lives with products and services, but she also allows K to feel a simulated love, or connection to someone,
or rather something. Meanwhile luv, the genuine feeling is unpredictable, violent and heartbreaking, but her actions force K to change himself and grow as a character
>>
>>15937782
Is Blade Runner 2049 the first Western fiction to portray 2D waifus positively?
>>
>>15943096
Damn, I thought it would be doing better but I guess not. I wonder if there's been less of a dropoff, though, when I went to see it yesterday the theater was pretty packed.
>>
>>15940610
K went after Deckard not because of how the kid might be important for society but because he wanted them to meet as a thank you for giving him those memories and a soul
>>
>>15943423
>positively

She was just a program acting out her logical path in her environment and exercising self-preservation. Her goal was to make her owner feel significant, which she did just by reinforcing what Ryan Gosling already thought. The whole 'alienation from women' thing was interesting and well done, though.
>>
File: 1495587664850.jpg (331 KB, 753x707)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>>15940610
The whole 'replicant resistance' thing was clearly supposed to be a major force on the rise, but Ryan Gosling ultimately decided they were less important than helping the person who gave him his memories find closure, and the man he briefly believed was his father learn that all his suffering wasn't pointless.

A lot to digest in this movie. I'm probably going to go on media blackout for a while trying to process it.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (34 KB, 1680x944)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
The whole mistaken messiah identity thing hit me pretty hard. To go from an insignificant, soulless simulacrum to the crux of human existence back to being the automaton story hasn't ever been done this well before. It's like if Isaac Asimov understood human emotional complexity as well as he did tenser charts.
>>
>>15943096
wow they really nailed the spirit of the original
>>
>movie ends
>sitting with my brain going a mile a minute, replaying moments and appreciating how cohesive and well made the movie was
>guy in the row ahead of me starts barking to his girlfriend "SEE, ATARI AND PAN-AM WERE BIG COMPANIES BACK THEN, BUT NOW THEY'RE BANKRUPT"
>hear a guy at the door saying "man how come they didn't tell us if Harrison Ford was a cyborg?"

>>15943476
It's just too long. Theaters normally prefer movies around 150 minutes, because that's the ideal spacing for the moviegoing time slot. If you can only fit 4 showings a day instead of 5, you just aren't going to move as many tickets.
>>
>>15943516
Even with his hope of being inherently special destroyed, the experience has made him unable to go back to being an automaton and he chooses his own path by neither allowing Deckard to be captured or killing him. I guess part of the reason the resistance plot falls to the wayside is to show it isn't how you came to be that defines you as human, but your actions. Him lying back in the snow, possibly dying, content with having been able to make some sort of a difference as an individual really got to me.
>>
>>15943533
There was also the element that the resistance was pretty much doomed. "we all thought we were special once", leading to an armed uprising, has the strong implication that they're turning to violence out of despair more than out of a real sense of identity. Doesn't hurt that their leader was half-blind.

That's always been the core of the Blade Runner story, that once you're willing to understand that you're ultimately a free agent, it's your responsibility to do the right thing and not surrender that to someone else.

Not sure how the whore factors into that, though.
>>
>>15943545
She was a walking plot device to ensure K ends up meeting with the Resistance and discovering the truth.
>>
>>15943523
>hear a guy at the door saying "man how come they didn't tell us if Harrison Ford was a cyborg?"

They STILL don't tell us that?

Goddamnit how am every supposed to decisively win that arguement with my friends, rub my canon proof in their faces and tell them to bow down and suck my dick because I am right forever and they are wrong and suck and I am so cool now?
>>
>>15943614
Go fly to Hollywood and ask the writer
>>
>>15943523
Ohh yeah, good points. I remember trying to find tickets and noticing there weren't any showings at some of the usual times. Yeah, the sheer length of the movie might be a problem just due to logistics. Hopefully it'll recoup some of that for post-opening day showings.
>>
>>15943516 #
God, I fucking loved this. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Overnight, he goes from a jaded and hopeless slave to the literal Replicant Messiah, finally discovers meaning and purpose for his life, and believes he has a soul.

Then he loses everything: his father, his home, the one person in the world who he loves and who loves him back, and nearly his life - the only thing he has left is his birthright as the Child.

Then he gets told that he's not the child. He loses the last shred of hope that he didn't even know he had left.

Then his lover meets him on the bridge and doesn't recognize him. He contemplates suicide, and a part of him really dies there.

But now he's neither a Messiah nor a slave. Now that he has nobody to answer to and nothing to lose, he is free to choose his own destiny.

And, as the last act of his short life, he chooses to do something because it's morally right. A replicant sacrificing himself on his own terms, for his own reasons.
He dies a self-made hero - he WAS special and he made a difference, and it had nothing to do with the circumstances of his birth.

The Nexus 9 replicant, the one who was built to submit and obey, ends up as the character with the greatest agency and the strongest sense of morality.

Fucking brilliant.
>>
>>15943614
>They STILL don't tell us that?

Even better, they not only don't answer it, they bring it up then immediately dismiss the idea as irrelevant.
>>
>>15940564
Holy shit yes!
That was the first thing i thought of when he came home and started talking and we did not see her!
>>
>>15940564
>the JOI hologram
wat
>>
>>15943732
The giant pink woman from the trailer
>>
DO YOU FEEL AS IF YOU'RE TRAPPED IN CELLS?

CELLS.
>>
>>15941701
Holy shit kek, I didn't even put this one together. Villeneuve you fucking rascal
>>
>>15937782
Loved it. Good show...go see it, if u can..some small plot holes....but not enough to derail the train
>>
File: Spoiler Image (984 KB, 910x798)
984 KB
984 KB PNG
I love y--
>>
>>15943952
>>15943952

DELET
>>
File: takeru crying.png (464 KB, 1024x600)
464 KB
464 KB PNG
>>15943952
>>
>>15943516
It was kind of a trite and clichéd "twist" but I still liked it.

He wasn't the chosen one, but his BELIEF that he was empowered him to accomplish extraordinary things and find freedom and purpose. And then the real chosen one turned out to be shit.
>>
File: 1500835853581.png (866 KB, 1920x1080)
866 KB
866 KB PNG
>>15943952
>>
>>15944112
About that.

Was she actually immune deficient, or was that just a ploy to keep her isolated and protected from investigation? And if she was immune deficient, could that be a side effect of Nexus 6 DNA?
>>
>>15944143
I personally assumed it was part of the cover. She would be hunted forever in the real world, so they not only gave her a cover where she could hide in plain sight forever, it was something that allowed her to still have a measure of 'freedom'
>>
File: 1488245266656.jpg (76 KB, 480x656)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>15943807
INTERLINKED

INTERLINKED

INTERLINKED
>>
>>15937782
Anons, you were not lying. This was worth all of my money. The only bad part of the movie was having to tell my bladder to STFU until the credits rolled, but I made it. I want this again. In IMAX 3D. I want to immerse myself in giant pink tiddies.
>>
>>15937782

Not a samefag.

Better than the original, which I loved.

I love all of Dennis Villaneuve's movies. He's probably one of the only people who could truly adapt and push forward the science fiction genre. I thought that was obvious in Arrival and Enemy.
>>
>>15944323
pretty sure his name is pronounced vilnuv
>>
That scene of the giant space cruiser rising through the fog was so beautiful, I legit can't sleep right now because I keep seeing it.

What's even more awesome was that it was framed through Joi's perspectivee, and like her the viewer was seeing it for the first fucking time and there's no limit to the wonder.

To those saying this movie was too long, get bent. I want the BluRay now so I can obsess over all the interesting things in each scene.
>>
>>15943545
>Doesn't hurt that their leader was half-blind.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king in this case the blind are those replicants who didn't exist at the time of the child's birth.
The only ones who we know were are sapper and the one eyed replicant.
The others are all blind, Dapper could v lying or only have half of the truth for all we know.
She is a replicant meaning that her memories could've easily been implanted or altered.
She was the only one with knowledge that deckard had a daughter, so if her memory can't be trusted then we can't be sure deckard had a daughter.
>>
>>15944323
His next movie is Dune
>>
>>15944143
Or maybe she was actually sickly? As the hybrid of a replicant and human, I imagine she would have a few health related issues. Remember. She's not supposed to exist.
>>
File: Neon Genesis Godzilla.jpg (2.03 MB, 2835x4252)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>15944323
>He's probably one of the only people who could truly adapt and push forward the science fiction genre.
No love for Anno's return to form? At absolute minimum you have to agree its easily one of the best monster films ever and a great movie in general.
>>
>>15943708
>He contemplates suicide

When did this happen?
>>
>>15944495
When he's on the bridge with the projection of Joi and realizes their love was false, then considers the gun in his hand

You can interpret this as either suicidal thoughts, or a resolution to take up arms for a new cause, or both
>>
>>15944466
I don't think they can implant memories post inception, which is a fun comparison to Total Recall.

I wish PKD books were interesting to read past the first 100 pages, when it all turns to amphetamine fueled tirades.
>>
>>15944518
The gun in question being Deckard's makes me lean towards the latter.
>>
>>15937782
>He didn't see the twist coming
>In a fucking Denis Villeneuve movie
The man is pretty much the poster boy for obvious twists Anon, you should be ashamed.
>>
>>15944625
What were the obvious twists in Sicario and Arrival? Or Prisoners and Incendiaries for that matter?

Are you sure you're not slightly confused about who you're talking about?
>>
>>15944641
>Arrival
If you didn't get that the flashbacks are actually flashforwards from the very moment Jeremy Renner's voiceover explaining the inner workings of the Heptapods' language was played, and you still didn't get it when she told her daughter "if you want to talk about science, talk to your father", then you are braindead.
>>
>>15944641
I've yet to see Arrival and Sicario but in Prisoners I guess the twist is that Paul Dano didn't kidnap the girl?
>>
>>15938244
The trailers fucking lied. Hard. Seriously.

And this is very much a sequel.
>>
>>15944143
Yes. No. Maybe.
Both option are viable and make sense, thou second option makes more sense in lieu of other facts made known, like timeline of events around 2021.
That is, assuming, everyone are telling the truth.
>>
>>15940534
She just wanted to believe she was special, that she was "his best angel"
The best part of this movie is that the villainess and the hero have the same delusions of grandeur
>>
>>15941864
You mean when Rutger was supposed to say father and said fucker instead? Damn I didn't know that
>>
>>15943096
FUCK NORMIES
Oh well. We're better off without a third film anyway, and Amazon Video will have an entire tv series of PKD adaptions soon anyways
>>
>>15943385
The point of the giant pink hologram ad was so that we could see that Joi was not unique in anyway - she clearly was just following her programming of giving K what he wanted, to feel Special.
The lesson of this movie is that waifus are a crutch holding you back emotionally despite how sweet they are. That said, Joi did some good by motivating K
>>
>>15943423
See >>15944874
If /a/ and /r9k/ don't hate this movie then theyre too dumb to understand it. Really curious what the Japanese box office is like
>>
>>15943614
IT
DOESN'T
MATTER
THATS
THE
POINT
>>
>>15944490
I loved shin but in what way did it push sci-fi? Japan is definitely capable of that but thats not exactly Annos thing, hes more of a sociology/psychology guy in his art. Tomino is the sci fi visionary, Hes just too busy with his Youth and anti-war obsessions to show it all the time.
>>
>>15944625
Dont be autistic I was just trying to get a thread started. Ive never heard of this director til now I dont wade into the /tv/ cesspool. And most people would expect certain things about a main character. Like being special
>>
>>15937788
Watched it today and I really enjoyed it. It's everything The Force Awakens isn't, being that they aren't just recycling the first movie and Harrison Ford actually gave a shit. Totally worth a watch IMO.
>>
>>15944861
Yeah. I know it's a minor nitpick but it changes the whole tone of that scene for me - from glorious genesis of cyberpunk (walking up to your creator/father/god figure and literally calling him a "fucker") to tawdry play on Frankenstein.
>>
File: the_iron_giant_hed.jpg (203 KB, 1100x689)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
The first thought I had waking up this morning is "so it's like The Iron Giant".
>>
>>15944874
K's Joi had deviated from the off-the-shelf model, like any piece of consumer electronics.
Take a phone, for instance. It starts off the same as every other one of it's type but changes, learns (predictive text being better able to anticipate what will be said), as it's owner uses it.
>>
>>15938153
>Like it doesn't even matter whose a replicant
are you saying that deep down we're all the same???????? sounds like sjw talk
>>
>>15945467
>K's Joi had deviated from the off-the-shelf model, like any piece of consumer electronics.
Yet his Joi and the Random giant advertisement Joi both call him Joe as in "Average Joe".
K isn't special, and neither was his relationship with Joi.
It was all an artificial interaction that was programmed from the start
>>
>>15945567
That's what anon is saying, that his Joi had adapted to K's personal circumstances and habits, not that it had somehow exhibited sentience.
>>
>>15944877

I don't care about points, I care about being right.
>>
>>15945575
Not what I was getting at.
I don't know what the off-the-shelf, factory fresh JOi systems are like, but K's Joi was a self-aware machine, 100%.
That indicates sentience.
>>
File: moon-gerty.jpg (1.22 MB, 1920x1200)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>15945769
Joi never did anything to exhibit a higher sense of awareness or development than what you would expect from a lovebot/maid AI. She reacted in a standard way when given the emitter, and reciprocated the upgrade with a prostitute, upgrading herself in an interesting way, but it still feels like a machine reacting to its owners' impulses and behavior history. And when Joe is convinced he's the Kwisatz Haderach, she decides to give him a special name. That name is the default affection name that line of OS use.

Even the part where she says 'I'm going with you' and has him wipe the central data core was just a basic self-preservation reaction.

She's definitely a compelling piece of software, and one that blurs the line between replicants and natural-born humans even more. What makes her any less sentient than K, or even Rachel? But the encounter K has on the bridge with giant hologram Joi left me with the strong impression that ultimately, his Joi was just a reactive helper AI. Closer to GERTY than Hal.

In the end, though, K decides that his brief, mistaken relationship with Deckard and his borrowed memories from Ana are more important than the 'reality' of the Replicant Rebellion. It's an emotional, human reaction, and one that doesn't dismiss the time he spent with his Joi unit.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (15 KB, 288x339)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>15945784
>That name is the default affection name that line of OS use.
Very possibly, but it's also possible that it was selected at random from a database of names.
And while the billboard projection also choosing the same name (in this scenario) would be very unlikely, it is nonetheless possible.
Man this movie's gonna spur discussion for ages. It's great.
>>
>>15945823

JOI - JOE

Sure seemed default to me. I think it was printed on the billboard hologram, too.
>>
I liked the prostitute scene, the dissonance with the hologram and the prostitute not only did it made for some good eye-catching visuals but the subtlety of the differences made for some good commentary. the prostitute was rougher and more carnal when grabbing K´s neck while the hologram carefully swayed her fingers behind him.

the part where the prostitute is behind K and the hologram is not rendering algo gives you this impression of JOI only existing within K's field of view.
>>
>>15942899
OH. It was the girl from Knock Knock.
>>
>>15946085
Yeah I was kind of confused as to whether other people could see Joi

On one hand, nobody ever acknowledges her and there are a few shots where she should be visible but she isn't

On the other, K sometimes dismisses her when someone else is in the room, as if trying to hide her
>>
>>15946468
I think he was hiding her on purpose.
I'm pretty sure openly having a Joi was like owning a fleshlight.
Remember how those prostitutes reacted when they heard his joistick go off?
>>
>>15946483
you mean his joi buzzer?
>>
This movie was utterly fantastic. I really thought it'd be a soulless action flick but it actually kept the spirit of the original.

The only part I didn't really like was Wallace, although he had some great scenes I felt his character was flat. Once they hammered in the "evil-Christ" characterization in the first appearance it was too easy too put him into that box. The last scene with him and Ford is easily one of my favorites of the film and really I think it was the only one he was need in.
>>
>>15946593
It's small, but another thing I really liked was seeing Olmos as Gaff again. I knew Harrison Ford was going to show up, obviously, but I didn't think I'd see any of the other actors from the original Blade Runner again, and it was a nice bit of nostalgia that was also well done.
>>
File: back in the days.gif (2.23 MB, 300x298)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB GIF
>>15946610
>mfwThe origami sheep
>>
>>15946610
Disappointed that he translated his cityspeak for the audience. Made the movie feel dumbed-down.
>>
>>15945467
No youre fucking dumb
JOI was behaving according to her programming, nothing more. She was telling K what he wanted to hear. Didn't you read the ad behind the giant hologram?
>>
>>15944914
>Walking up to your creator/father/god figure and literally calling him a "fucker"
But thats literally what the novel Frankenstein is all about my dude. The frankenstein movies lost that, sure, but its still Frankenstein themes either way
>>
>>15947318
And if you wanna take things bsck even further ths is because both Frankensteins Monster & Roy Batty are both Prometheus archetypes.
>>
>>15947301
Programs meant to create a feeling of sentience would never intentionally break that by reminding its owner that it is artificial.
>>
File: larsrealgirl.jpg (307 KB, 1199x899)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>15946483
>Remember how those prostitutes reacted when they heard his joistick go off?

>I guess you don't like real girls

I don't know who keeps getting Ryan Gosling these roles but every fucking time he does something that cuts right to the core of the modern young man.

Based Goose.
>>
>>15946661
There was definitely quite a bit of dumbing down for the audience in this movie. Quite a bit of voice over from earlier in the movie when K is figuring stuff out, as well as super telegraphing the first twist ; although I suppose that may have been intentional to misdirect from the second.
>>
I really disliked the Joi plotline. The sex scene was a cool idea, and the end was a nice twist on it, but everything else just felt muddled. At first she seemed like just a sexbot he felt nothing real for. They first showed her putting on various fetishistic outfits starting with subservient housewife preparing his meal that made her seem more like a maid he can fuck than anything. For the first ~hour he's ignoring her beeps only turning her on when it's convenient to him. Then he suddenly loves her and they telegraph she's going to die and she does in the most tension free way possible. She doesn't even die for any particular reason, it just happens. A real letdown in my opinion.
>>
BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGH
>>
>>15947318
>>15947326
Maybe I should clarify for you, when I say "tawdry play on Frankenstein" I'm referring specifically to how films like to erroneously reference the novel by framing a created figure as being like a wayward child seeking approval from its father.
>>
>>15947551
You okay, buddy?
>>
>>15946661
>>15947530
Yes, I have to agree with this. I knew I was in for some trouble as soon as they started subtitling the cityspeak in K's apartment complex.

There's a few essential ingredients this film was missing vs the original and that layer of delicious ambiguity was one of them. Everything was very surface-level and spelled out for the audience in this.

>>15945784
>>15947550
I think the point of Joi was to hammer home the main idea of this movie, that humanity is in the eye of the beholder. Joi was real to K, that's all that mattered to him - just as K was apparently real to Joi.

I agree that her character arc and "death" were completely flat though, it would have been more interesting if she'd somehow survived the film rather than the most telegraphed impending demise in recent cinematic history.

Also am I literally the only person who had a problem with the visuals in this? They're lacking so much of the fidelity and tiny attention to detail the original film had, I found it quite jarring most of the time. There's a difference between sterile and just plain empty.
>>
>>15947768
There was something about the visuals I didn't quite like too. I thought the strongest visual aspects were when they recalled the first film--the water and shadows in Wallace's headquarters, the cityscapes, and so on. But the colors just seemed a little more sterile than they did in the original. I always just chalked it up to me being a huge 80sfag and loving the...I guess color tones they had in films back in those days. But maybe it wasn't just me.
>>
File: Blade_Runner-top-image.jpg (209 KB, 1813x1200)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>15947780
I've been thinking about it carefully and went back and watched the original, the best I can come to is:

>Shooting on digital was a mistake, the depth of field is much lower than in the original film
>Blade Runner '82 has literally the best shot composition of any movie I've ever seen in pretty much every single frame - everything's arranged to create overlaps and shadows that create a profound sense of horizontal and vertical depth
>Not enough black in the new one - Blade Runner '82 wasn't afraid to use very elaborate lighting setups to create massive amounts of chiaroscuro in almost every shot

That and the attention to detail just isn't there in many of the sets, props and costumes. In the original it seems to go down to the tiniest level like how light plays off the tortoiseshell buttons on Deckard's coat. Then again, Villeneuve has a very sterile, spare style to most of his films and I have a suspicion that given even Ridley Scott himself couldn't recreate that effect in his more recent films that's it's more to do with modern filmmaking techniques and all the old set dressers, prop masters, etc probably having retired or died.
>>
>>15947768
The bleakness, dust and snow aren't as visually interesting as the smoke and grime of the original (and I doubt that the talent behind the autistically detailed sets of the first film is still around), but they used the sterile look of modern sci-fi to build a different aesthetic.

The Earth is now underpopulated in 2049 rather than overpopulated like in Blade Runner. Everyone has gone to the colonies. It looks like the world of the original Blade Runner died and the characters of 2049 are living in its husk. It suits the constant overtones of despair and desolation.
>>
We already discussed this color thig on /tv/ boys
It looks funny because its digital film but they oversaturated the color to try to resemble a movie shot on film. Pretty sure GotG movies did the same thing
>>
>>15947768
>>15947780
Villeneuve said that the sterility was intentional - rather than copying the style of the original, they tried to imagine how it would look if someone like Wallace took over. "Establishing our own visual identity", he said.

I don't doubt that it demonstrates a relative lack of skill in set design and lighting compared to the original, but Villeneuve and co. played to their strengths.
>>
>>15947787
>The Earth is now underpopulated in 2049 rather than overpopulated like in Blade Runner

I get that's what they were going for but showing LA and that other area with the solar farm having basically ravines made of buildings and habitation was a bad idea. The Las Vegas scene is how I expected vast stretches of LA by 2049 in this universe would look, basically empty and abandoned.
>>
File: drive 2 ending.webm (484 KB, 640x360)
484 KB
484 KB WEBM
;_;
>>
File: 1507546735938.jpg (81 KB, 600x631)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>15943952
>even his waifu was a lie
>>
>>15948161
I know this scene implies that he died but aren't replicants tough mofos? maybe he's just taking nap?;_;
>>
>>15948198
he didn't die in my headcannon just like in Drive
>>
>>15948198
sustained fatal damage. theme song is time to die
>>
>>15948161

>Cowboy Bebop 2: Electric Goosealoo
>>
File: fc0mxx2rft9vv4c35aq5.png (376 KB, 800x328)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>15947841
I think the Solar farms barely had any habitation. It looked super empty and it was mostly panels everywhere.
>>
File: It's Morphine Time.jpg (24 KB, 390x566)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>15941701
I don't get the reference
>>
>>15948198
I think the use of snow is intending to call back to Tears in the Rain, with the softly falling snow displaying K dying content in contrast to the hard and fast rain showing Roy dying unfulfilled.

Of course I may just be seeing connections that arent there.
>>
>>15948534
K is a special snowflake. Special K.

What a cuck, right.
>>
Why does faking his death mean Deckard can go see his daughter? Even if they're not specifically looking for him anymore they would definitely notice him walking into a Wallace aligned office building. Also it's silly to think Wallace would believe he was dead in the first place, obviously the cars were shot down to save Deckard and there's no reason to believe the rescue wasn't a success.
>>
>>15938181
But Rogue One was great.
>>
>>15948614
It's not a Wallace building, she explicitly says she's independent
>>
>>15949303
Yeah, but do you think he isn't keeping tabs on his memory supplier?
>>
>>15947301
brainlet, the entire message of the movie is that artificial beings can transcend their coding/programming and attain individuality.
JOI's love for K was real, beyond a doubt.
>>
>>15949954
What did Joi do to transcend her programming?
Everything she did fit into a make him feel special/self preservation dumb AI routine.

The scene on the bridge was K realizing that his waifu was basically just a phone iOS with big eyes, and determining that he wouldn't be the same thing. It was him separating himself from the production-line Replicant by choosing his own destiny.
>>
>>15944875
What if I understood the point but still liked her?
>>
>>15950772
>K realizing that his waifu was basically just a phone iOS with big eyes,
K pretty knew that since day 1, specially during the scene when she froze and passed a call from office and he kind of left her there with that paused state
>>
>>15950772
>Everything she did fit into a make him feel special/self preservation dumb AI routine.

Except her final journey where she tells K to break the GPS antenna and begged for K's life before that anguished I love you in her final moments
>>
>>15950772
That scene reminded K that despite being a hologram AI meant as a customuzed amusement product Joi managed to attain her own being in her death. By choosing a path that literally meant to die once and for all, she defined herself much more than the binary codes, just like humanity does in its boundaries set by its DNA. She became a real girl in her death, just like she stated before the trip to LA.
>>
>>15950983
Half the source code, twice as elegant
>>
File: 1507656084720.png (36 KB, 724x740)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaVqhjpQuQA
>>
File: 1507739730746.jpg (802 KB, 5728x2400)
802 KB
802 KB JPG
How can anime even compete lads? That movie was amazing
>>
>>15951034
The short anime was amazing as well.
>>
>>15950968
>her final journey where she tells K to break the GPS antenna

She knew the police were going to use her as evidence and basically delete her, so having K take her along was a survival strategy.

Telling K she loved him was her following her primary directive when it was clear her secondary directive was no longer possible.
>>
File: 1504586300881.jpg (556 KB, 830x630)
556 KB
556 KB JPG
>>15950953
>K pretty knew that since day 1

At that point he still considered himself to be a subhuman automaton, so he had no second thoughts about shacking up with a hologram. Realizing that she was, in fact, just an empty shell drove him to choose between suicide and actually fulfilling his potential as a sapient being, vindicating his relationship with Deckard and repaying Ana for basically giving him a sense of identity and purpose, however misguided.
>>
>>15951140
Compare the way Deckard viewed the duplicate Rachel to how K interacted with Joi. K was happy to live in a domestic fantasy, despite knowing full well that he was just fapping to the program that did his laundry and made him holographic meatloaf. But he had no framework for a higher reality, just subsisting day to day for blood money. Deckard on the other hand was given an identical duplicate of the only woman he ever loved, one who proved her fundamental personhood to him, but rather than accept the fantasy he was offered, he chose to stick to the truth he'd worked so hard to find.

The only way Joi could demonstrate that she'd somehow surpassed her programming seems to be if she ultimately rejected K on some basis, like ScarJo did in Her. But in blade runner, there are simulacra made to imitate humans, and there are some beings that essentially are humans but are told they are not. Joi is the former, K is the latter.
>>
Welp just got home from the theater, my mind is still buzzing about this movie. Its an interesting balance of the old movie and its own thing. I am not even sure what to say about it all, I think it was a good movie and I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>15951123
Isn't that just how humans work anyway?

That's one thing I really enjoyed about HBO's Westworld reboot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94ETUiMZwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HmrTUBiUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxN5ShX896E

>The human mind, Bernard, is not some golden benchmark glimmering on some green and distant hill. No, it is a foul, pestilent corruption. And you were supposed to be better than that. Purer

It worked from the conceit that fundamentally there was nothing remarkable or special about human consciousness, and that we simply take a romanticised view of our own minds. It was refreshing to see a series take such a blunt and honest approach to the subject.
>>
File: I miss ytmnd.gif (1.71 MB, 290x150)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB GIF
>>15951414
That was what the first movie mess with, with the "more human than human" thing. How the replicants in the movie exhibited more emotion, fear and anger and fun, than any of the 'human' characters did. Deckard, who at least believe he was human, spent most of his time trying to get blitzed out of his mind and block out the world around him, while Batty, who'd already experienced several lifetimes' worth, was desperate to lengthen his life.

There's a case that his life with Joi was perfectly valid, but the film clearly isn't obsessed with setting a hard line between humans, replicants and Turing-grade AI. As far as the K story goes, Joi was just a part of his old, veiled existence, one that he has to shed to become a real boy and save Geppetto and his daughter/K's own soul from the whale.
>>
Just saw the movie, thought it was great but still without its flaws
Pros:
>visuals are amazing, specially the giant skycrappers, although they fell flat in some places like the interiors
>the forced action scenes were scarse
>all of the acting was phenomenal, save for harrison ford which I still believe can't act at this age
>the Vangelis tracks are still amazing
>the writing is fan fiction - good things: world building is on point, with added AI and backstory blending well into scott's world
>the messiah twist was great specially because the messiah plot was stupid
>the ending is amazing
>good short references to the book
Cons:
>the plot is retarded because it misses the point of the book and the movie, had this not been a sequel it would've been great
>the action scenes felt forced unlike the final chase of the first one
>Zimmer is a hack
>the writing is fan fiction - bad things: harrison ford shouldn't have been there at all, or at least make it so it appears as little as possible, the movie also looks like it's pandering too much to nostalgia
>some of the visuals felt like dull modern sci fi instead of cyberpunk
Final rant: read the book if you haven't already, it's a completely different experience. I like it more than the first movie yet I still love the latter
>>
Are people just pretending to like it? Surely you don't actually like it?
>>
>>15951455
2049 did that, but a lot better in my opinion.

It was less in your face than robots being more human than humans, but a more subtle approach of "choice".
If you want to get from A to B and your only option is C, and you KNOW your only option is C, is it really a choice?

That is what I think the film's main theme was.
K knew from day 1 Joi was designed to make him happy, he had no choice but to smile and laugh, and yet he still did it, but is that really happiness?
Did he just accept that "this is the way things should be" and actively ignore the programming
Or despite knowing it wasn't real, still fall for the girl of his dreams.

It's very much the red pill/blue pill dilemma, albeit a bit more complex.
>>
>>15951123
Apart from those, that scene also served to show the central theme of the movie - life and death. There is a reason why K tells her that if she transfers all her data in the holostick, she would be vulnerable to death as backup made her virtually immortal. Which is why she answers that her death would make her a real girl thus embracing mortality, the way a living being exits in this world. The whole purpose behind the holo merge sex scene was to show K and Joi trying to make out something real out of their artificial designs.
What I am saying is that to a very little extent, Joi achieves that in in her "death" scene. For the first time K actually experiences loss. Just like Joi, he is a product of his design. Just like humans at their core are construct of their biological code. Just like humanity's eternal struggle to define its worth and self in a seemingly uncaring universe, Pink Joi reminds K of his in a artificial world created by humans. It was him and their time that defined self of a rather generic AI meant to serve, hence Luv saying "thank you for using our product" after she crushes the holo stick. It is us who define what we are and this allows one to transcend the shackles of one's design given to him by nature. This is what makes humans so special and tragic compared to any other life form on earth
>>
>>15952495
*an artificial
>>
>>15952495
so, just like how things play out in Yukikaze novels?
Hmm...
>>
So if I watched the original Blade Runner and BR 2049 together, would it feel like 2 good related movies in the same universe, like Terminator 1 and 2 or A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?

I have seen the original Blade Runner, but I have not seen 2049 because it just looks like a different universe/environment than the original BR, with Deckard shoved into 2049 to make the 2 movies related.
>>
>>15952533
It's actually a direct sequel taking place 30 years later
Check these official shorts released by the studio. It bridges both movies

Black out 2022 (by Shinichi Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ
2036:Nexus Dawn https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ
2048:Nowhere to run https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg
>>
>>15952533
>>15952543

I'd also recommend reading this timeline too, for anything not brought up in both movies and the short films:

http://roadto2049.bladerunnermovie.com/
>>
>>15952495
>>15952526
If we expands the whole recognition = living sentient beings theme to Wallace's quote regarding civilization being made on slaves' back, it might have implication with our history of slavery and the slavery of the Replicants because both involves dehumanization and reducing a race or people to property. Might explain why replicants are organizing a rebellion
>>
>>15952205
I think its better in many respects.
>>
>it's a replicant offspring episode
>>
>>15952205
>Its 4chan so I have to pretend I hate things
Nah
>>
>>15948673
If you like eyecandy and hate characters with more personality than a piece of wood. Those characters make episode 1&2 look great in comparison, although the robot was ok
>>
>>15947841
The blade runner / electric ship earth has always been Underpopulated you moron. The inner cities are crowded because its where the entire population lives aside from scattered irradiated outcasts in abondoned buildings on the outskirts. The majority of the population that survived went to offworld colonies. Only the genetically damaged/poor and ultra rich remain on earth
>>
>>15953169
>Electric ship
SHEEP. I need a nap
>>
>>15944490
This was great but 2049 was like greatest ever levels we're talking about here
>>
>>15952205
>4chan unanimously liking something? this can't be we can never not be hateful!
>>
can someone give me the spoilers of what is the difference between the movie version and novel?

I've seen the movie, and just curious what is happening in the novel version cause I felt like there are so many unanswered questions after watching it.
>>
>>15953169
Yes, I'm well aware of that "moron".

However with the infertility rates from pollution and radiation, coupled with the majority of humanity decamping to the offworld colonies, it should be emptier.
>>
>>15954527
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DRanb5UHDbQ
>>
>>15954527
The book and novel completely diverge after he speaks to the dancer in that fake voice. That whole event went much worse for Deckard in the book and led to a bunch of shenanigans with the police department and his own inner struggle. Also in the book she was an opera singer not an exotic dancer
>>15954532
Dont move goal posts moron, read the fucking book
>>
>>15954545
>The movie and the novel
Is what i meant to say there
>>
Watched it today (though I didn't watch the original). The acting was really good, and the visuals were amazing. The story and characters were somewhat lacking however. I still enjoyed my time, especially the long atmospheric aesthetic scenes.
>>
>>15954545
I've read the fucking book five times, the first being over ten years ago, "moron".
>>
>>15945705
Ridley Scott has been going around for years saying Deckard is a replicant.
>>
>>15937788
Both
>>
>>15948245
>ryan gosling as spike
fund it
>>
>>15948161
>>15948245
See you, Space Runner.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (443 KB, 176x99)
443 KB
443 KB GIF
Just seen the movie in IMAX, fucking hell it was easily the best film I've seen in a long time
>mfw the emanator got crushed
FUCKING 3D WHORE
I actually shouted NO when it happened, luckily I was the only guy in the cinema
>>
>>15955226
There was some really good cinematography involved in capturing the monolithic buildings and their imposingness. There was also some effort expended into making things look sterile, which was mentioned before, that I wasn't the hugest fan of. What I'm wondering is why the hell you didn't watch the original first,especially with 2049 being reliant on it.
>>
>>15937782
>REALLY, REALLY GOOD
No.

It was overrated as fuck.

They essentially extended a very simple story into a 3 hour snoozefest. I'm sure people who think it's a masterpiece also think highly of Unicorn. It was undoubtedly the most pretentious flick of the season so far.

I'd rather rewatch the original all over again that sit through 2049 ever again. Critics can put on their fedoras all day long, but given how poorly it's doing among average folks, it looks like another case of overhype. I just love it when critics stop mattering. It must hurt their ego pretty bad to see that all the fake overhype and praise can't make a profit.
>>
>>15958377

Most 'average folks' apparently thought it would be another AAA action film, so the fault doesn't necessarily lie with any apparent overhyping here.
>>
>>15958377
While the first is the undisputed best, I really didn't find 2049 unnecessarily pretentious. Would you care to explain yourself?
>>
>>15958377
That what character driven plot are all about- little story and focus on character.
Just like the original
>>
>>15958223
Never got around to watching the original, and I was invited to go watch the new one.
Though I'm sure I missed a lot of references to the original, it did a good job introducing the world without relying on prior knowledge. I honestly expected Dekard to be a lot more central to the film since Ford was in all the promo material, but I'm glad the film mostly focused on new characters.
>>
>>15960110
You really should watch the original, friend anon. Aside from being an absolute classic, I think you miss some of the emotional resonance of 2049 if you weren't already familiar with Deckard and Rachael's story.
>>
>>15954508
Do you think Anno is capable of reaching BR levels of filmmaking?
>>
>>15960808
Not long to go until Eva Final.
>>
saw it yesterday, thought it was great. not as good as the original but close enough, but then again they are pretty different beasts. i'd definitely watch it again.
the shorts were alright as well.
spoilery question though: why did jared leto kill the newly born replicant
>>
>>15961005
I was thinking thr same thing, other then to show what kind of person he is it felt kinda pointless.
>>
>>15958402
They do it every time. Take a scene, make the characters give out the least amount in information even though it's not logical in many instances, so you have to second guess what they're thinking, and then, make them move like snails, except when it's an action scene, and increase every shot by a few minutes. The unwrapping scene was especially painful, and the suspenseful music felt out of place, given how loud it was. Every scene was so overdone.

Now that would be fine if the story had more to it, or even tried to raise philosophical points, but this movie never did any of that. It was just K, finding out he's human and then finding out he's actually not. Even if the original film was kind of slow too, i never felt the time was being wasted unnecessarily.
>>
>>15946629

I shat my pants at sudden introduction of Pale Fire. There are story parallels to Pale Fire spread throughout the film.
>>
>>15948614

Deckard actually drowns in one of the previous scenes, so it doesn't matter much.
>>
>>15961055
>the unwrapping
When K goes to see if the horse is still in the furnace? It's clearly intended to build tension, though it was maybe a few seconds too long for some. And some of the more atmospheric shots with pans were clearly intended to convey something with each shot, whether it be grandiosity, isolation, sterility etc. Maybe you're just impatient.

>but this movie never did any of that. It was just K, finding out he's human and then finding out he's actually not.
If you feel 2049 didn't pose any philosophical quandaries at all (or even attempted as you say) you really weren't paying attention, are retarded or are being facetious for the sake of contrarianism.

>It was just K, finding out he's human and then finding out he's actually not
Which ironically enough encompasses at least a few philosophical and psychological points
>>
>>15961080
>Which ironically enough encompasses at least a few philosophical and psychological points
Don't be ridiculous, just because a plot point holds potential for these philosophical questions, they aren't materialised until the movie actually tries to explore them.

The story did nothing to add weight to any of these questions. Instead, it pandered to nostalgiafags.
>>
>>15961055
You have to get a bit into K's head. That moment when he discovered that his memories were real (though not really his) broke his entire world.
>>
>>15961134
>they aren't materialised until the movie actually tries to explore them.
So you'd rather be hit over the head with said philosophical and psychological questions instead? Sure, they aren't exactly super evident or explicitly stated, but is any compelling quandary?

>Instead, it pandered to nostalgiafags.
And is that wrong? To be a nostalgiafag for the first? 2049 did enough, in my opinion, to consider itself its own entity. Of course, the first is still the best.
>>
>>15961005
Wait, he killed her? I thought he slit her womb or something because he was frustrated that she couldn't reproduce with it.
>>
>>15961882
i'm assuming she died because we never saw her again after that scene
>>
>>15961005
>>15961882
>>15961951
Wallace killed her because she was infertile. Wallace is trying to make new models capable of "flying" aka giving birth and she was a failure. The point of Luv coming in and saying "the new model is ready" and then Wallace saying "You're still incapable of saying to be born" is to show how uncomfortable Luv is with how Wallace treats his "children".

Wallace uses his camerabots to scan the newly designed replicant and somehow can tell that it's not fertile and then gives her a C-section and kisses her as she bleeds out and dies claiming that things with consciousness cling to life and show fear before they even know what life is. The way Wallace kills her is similar to how Luv kills Madam, but without a kiss. She also stabs K in the side, not a C-section slash, and then gives him a kiss.

Then as soon as Wallace leaves the room with his camerabots, Luv no longer has to keep her composure as she breaks and starts crying and quivering. Her reaction to Wallace killing the newly "born" replicant is supposed to show how she doesn't share the same vision as Wallace and at least on some sort of level, views him as an evil. Luv's views on the world are further explored in all of her scenes despite having very little dialogue.

Feel free to ask me anything whether it's about BEES or plotholes. I feel pretty confident in defending this movie, I've seen it 5 times because a friend of mine owns a theatre.
>>
Does /m/ believe the sequel could still be influential in its own way? The original BR had a huge impact on the genre but I fear we're way past the point where films can have that much influence and lasting power.
>>
>>15961990
I dunno, I felt Luv was kind of inconsistent.

>shows signs of being upset when Wallace kills a replicant in a over-the-top scene supposed to demonstrate that he is an evil villain and we're not supposed to like him
>later blows away a replicant for Wallce without any sign of remorse

Also dude complains that he can't make enough replicants but keeps killing them. Unnecessarily dumb villain.
>>
>>15962016
Luv is the most complicated character in the film.
She shows emotions for her kind. When she kills Rachel, she stares at her dead body the entire scene. When she kills coco and Madam, she doesn't look at their dead bodies at all, no remorse. She ultimately sees Wallace as an enemy to her kind. She hates how her kind is treated. When Wallace kills the replicant infront of her, she keeps her composure and as soon as Wallace and his floating camera eyes leave the room, she breaks and starts crying and quivering. In the scene where she's getting her nails done she is killing humans with a word and litetally has an old asian man on his knees grooming her. She can't even bring herself to kill K, instead she gives him a bloody kiss and says "she's the best one".

I actually like Wallace as the god-complex industrialist villain. On my first viewing I thought he was dumb and just wanted to shit on Letto. So Wallace kills two replicants, both were failures. One wasn't fertile and the other because she had the wrong eye color. The eye color thing is debatable because in the original 2 actors were used for Rachel. One for the her test that Deckard performs on her where her eyes are green and the other is the actor we see for every other scene. but overall 2 replicants is nothing to Wallace, we're talking about a man who owns Earth and entire planets. Wallace doesn't care about 2 replicants.
>>
>>15962016
>>15962180
I'd also like to add that Luv was obviously rebellious. When she kills Madam she talks about a great change, that you can't stop the tides of change. Luv didn't agree with Wallace's future. She wanted her own future and would have usurped Wallace.

She is also a contrast and darker mirror to K. Whereas K is an obedient replicant who eventually 'rebels', Luv is a rebellious replicant who always 'obeys'. Luv has a unique name, K does not. Luv is corporate, K is government. Luv has emotions early on, K is cold early on. Luv has an uncaring master, K has a master who looks out for him. Luv kills humans, K questions it. Agin her purpose is not to be her own well designed character (although I think her arc is very good) but to have someone to contrast K with.
>>
>>15962003
Of course. It might not be influential in the next decade (of course, it might be), but 20 or 30 years down the line, some kid who was really affected by this might be a director. This year's derivative rehash is next year's visionary, ground-breaking masterpiece, and I'll let you ponder that truism for a few seconds to realize that it's not actually talking about Blade Runner.
>>
So the police's forensics expert didn't notice that the bones buried at the replicant hideout were replicant bones?

How come someone can walk into the police headquarters, kill an officer, steal evidence, then return another day and kill the chief and get away with apparently no-one batting an eye?
>>
>>15962219
The only way to determine if someone is a replicant is by their serial number. Replicants are made up of the exact same thing as a human, some replicants just have Run Through a Wall Powers and faster regeneration like K. K's powers might be discernible through a DNA test, but Rachel is an old model without any superhuman abilities.

I don't really have an explanation for Luv in LAPD other than things that we can try to infer. She is presumbly an undocumented replicant, like she doesn't have a serial number or a criminal record because she is Wallace's hitman. He probably made it so that she has no way to incriminate Wallace himself. And then really, who is going to stop Luv? She's "the best" replicant and only dies because she refuses to kill K on two separate occasions, anyone that would try and stop she kills with one hit and then punches a wall to break out.
>>
>>15961080
>you really weren't paying attention, are retarded or are being facetious for the sake of contrarianism.
This is /m/, its probably all three.
>>
>>15961990
>Feel free to ask me anything whether it's about BEES
shit, i forgot about the bees. what do they mean? what was the point of it?
>>
>>15962308
So honey can last for thousands of years, and the image of a beehive producing honey is meant to also be contrasted against the image of Sapper (the replicant that K kills in the first scene) 'harvesting' protein in a literal toxic environment that he himself cannot enter as evident of him wearing a hazmat suit.
Sapper is 'wringing life' out of the earth in the most desperate, toxic way possible.
While in a nuclear wasteland, Deckard is producing honey in a relatively self sufficient manner with bees.

it would also make this the only time we see anything near normal edible food in the movie other than alcohol

it's also not a coincidence that he finds the beehive among the ruins of very erotic female statues

I also like to think that Deckard was the one who left the flower above Rachel's grave. Between the bees and the other wooden animal carvings at the hotel, I think it's safe to assume that Deckard has some sort of garden in the hotel. The bees need to pollinate something to survive, but I don't know shit about bee keeping soooo????

The flower is what ultimately kicks start the plot of the movie, without the flower at Rachel's grave K would have never investigated the tree further. Rachel's bones would never be found and the events of the movie wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>15962501
Oh, I forgot to say what the bees themselves are symbolic of. Sorry, I got lost in the honey.

So in Egypt bees were symbols of life and death because they knew bees are responsible for the pollination of all flowering pants. I think they also thought that Ra made bees and that guy was literally the sun. So the transfer of pollen can be done by the wind, birds, bats, and some other animals, but bees are largely responsible. They pollinate the many vegetables and fruits we eat directly and also pollinate the food for the animals that we then consume.

on the flipside, bees can also represent society and industry because of their ability to organize themselves.
"For so work the honey-bees, creatures that by a rule in nature teach the act of order to a peopled kingdom."
William Shakespeare-- Henry V: 1.2.210

I'm a /lit/fag, sorry.
>>
Why was Leto in this film? His scenes were almost completely pointless
>>
>>15962501
>While in a nuclear wasteland, Deckard is producing honey in a relatively self sufficient manner with bees.
What were the bees actually polinating though?
>>
>>15962501
>it would also make this the only time we see anything near normal edible food in the movie other than alcohol
Nah, we see K have two meals.
>>
>>15962707
I don't think it had been such a good meal conseidering how different it was from the holographic dish
>>
>>15961144
>So you'd rather be hit over the head with said philosophical and psychological questions instead? Sure, they aren't exactly super evident or explicitly stated, but is any compelling quandary?
No. I said they must be explored, but the story was too simple for that to happen. It's not the fact that it's simple that bothers me. It's the fact that it's a simple story stretched to near 2 hours and 40 minutes to give the pretense of deepness.

>And is that wrong? To be a nostalgiafag for the first? 2049 did enough, in my opinion, to consider itself its own entity. Of course, the first is still the best.
I thought it was going to be its own entity, till it just became about Deckard in the end, rather than a sidenote.

>>15961139
Of course, but changing K's world view isn't enough. You have to actually explore the questions through the story, which this movie didn't attempt at all. Of course the director didn't attempt, because if he did, he would actually require a smarter script and he wouldn't be able to hide the fact that the deep shit he's hinting at isn't really there. It's all too easy to just leave footnotes out there and let the viewers think that there is something more when there really isn't.

The only relevant philosophical question was what makes us human? Cool, you have a deep question, but you should know it's a very cliche question that a countless amount of series have already tried to answer it. All this movie does is hint at it, and that's about it. It's lazy philosophy.
>>
>>15963028
Doode. It's a fucking Hollywood movie, if it makes you think even for a second, it has more depth than most movies.

Also lazy philosophy? Okaaayy. The best films are also lazy by your definition. Rope, Solaris, 2001, Barton Fink, and Truman Show, all lazy by your definition. You're being way too critical. The original film is just as thought provoking and way less streamlined. Deckard spends the entire film reacting to shit, he never actually does any detecting, which is something 2049 definitely does better.

They're fucking movies, it's not a text by Camus, Kant, Voltaire, Joyce, Hobbs, or Kafka.
>>
>>15962707
The meal he eats at home is literally brown sludge. The meal of rice he gets from the vending machine was instant rice and mystery meat, still more appetizing than the brown sludge, but it's from an instant vending machine as opposed to the natural honey.
>>
This movie didn't deserve to flop.
Fucking plebs.
>>
>>15943732
Pink giantess with tits
>>
>>15944490
Americans didn't get to see it.
>>
>>15944680
>The trailers fucking lied
In what way?
>>
>>15962536
Because David Bowie died. He was supposed to play Wallace.
>>
>>15943096
>expecting a sequel to a 30yo movie that flopped not to also flop
There was no other fate for blade runner really.
>>
>>15963546
actually that made me appreciate small tits
>>
>>15953157
Hello r*ddit
>>
>>15963592
Those are hardly small.
>>
>>15958377
>think highly of Unicorn
If JOI, Luv, and K had survived without developing at all, then it would have been comparable to Unicorn.
>>
not /m/ cuz its not japanese
>>
>>15961134
>Kojimadrone detected
>>
>>15963585
this
same with Tron

I liked them all but you'd have to be really stupid to think that making a sequel to a movie that never made a buck would be a good investment
>>
>>15963621
I'm just glad that there's some very talented guys out there convincing the industry to fund their money sink. I still listen to Tron's OST daily.
>>
If the new movie was pretentious then so was the original.
>>
>>15958377
Both Blade Runners had very simple stories. Heck I watched the original this year and while I found it fun, it sure wasn't complicated.
>>
>>15963698
The original was nowhere as pretentious as 2049.
>>
>>15963706
But the original Bladerunner was like 2 hours long, and the characters time were much better spent.
>>
>>15963560
Would they still have had the completely unneccessary scene of Wallace groping a newly made replicant and then stabbing it for no reason?
>>
I think I might prefer it to the first. Keyword being might, going to have to see it a few more times after the "holy shit that was amazing" feeling wears off a bit. In any case I really liked it.

I'm in the mood for some more Blade Runner, is the PC game good?
>>
File: DSCN8700.jpg (236 KB, 1024x768)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
I really hate K's gun. It is so uninspired looking compared to Deckard's gun.
>>
>>15965055
A lot of the concept art for the film is coming out now, it's very uninspired in general. I don't get the thought process behind hiring the usual crowd of photobashing/3Dbashing "me-too" also-rans to provide the concepts for a Blade Runner sequel. The original had people like Syd Mead breaking new ground and pioneering an aesthetic that would be copied for decades, they needed to find visionaries for a project like this.
>>
>>15965064
Oh damn, yeah, that's a good point. Mead's vision was also a large part of why the original was groundbreaking. Aside from what I mentioned above (modern film), another reason it might have seemed so sterile, comparatively, to me might have been the lack of a designer like Mead.
>>
>>15965055
what really breaks the desing to me is the lack of any ammunition , deckards blaster was a revolver, this doesnt look like it could house any kind of ammunition, like it fires magic bullets
>>
>>15965069
Apparently they contracted Mead to provide a keyframe to set the tone for the Vegas scene, but nothing else. It shows too, that's the best-looking part of the film.
>>
>>15965055
>>15965297
Some sort of caseless maybe? Or Metalstorm system barrels?
Also, link related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiJkdL5QEQ
>>
File: 08sasdj.jpg (86 KB, 540x525)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>15958377
>but given how poorly it's doing among average folks, it looks like another case of overhype

I'm sure Batman v Superman is a work of art by that metric.
>>
File: img_3233.jpg (161 KB, 1290x860)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>15965055
I suppose it makes sense considering that K is known to be a replicant off that bat, so his gun and his room are fairly utilitarian looking without any frills
>>15965297
It's been a while but what does Deckard's gun even fire? They call it a blaster and I don't remember seeing him handle ammunition for it. The prop itself was made from an actual revolver and part of a bolt action rifle

I dig Luv's blaster
>>
File: what I watched.jpg (174 KB, 1874x604)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>
>>15953157
>implying the characters in tfa are better when you cut screen time of anyone who is interestingfor marry sue and her fanfic level story.
they are both just bad though.
>>
So glad I saw literally nothing, not even the poster for this movie before going in.

It was actually kind of (but not really, because come on, how could they not?) a surprise when Harrison Ford shows up, which I'm sure isn't the case for anyone who's seen any of the promotional materials.
>>
>>15965984
It seems to fire small explosive shells, and from the lack of recoil we can guess that it's based on Gyrojet technology or something
>>
It's kind of funny seeing Ford show more emotion when Wallace talks about Rachel then he did through the entirety of the first.
>>
>>15966445
Ford hated his experience working on the first Blade Runner movie, especially working with Sean Young. They did not get along at all.
>>
>>15966232
>and from the lack of recoil
we only see K and Luv shooting these, and they're both fuckoff strong. that's a much simpler explanation for lack of recoil than magic ammo.

also gyrojets don't make a bang sound when coming out of the barrel

there's a distinct bang they designed for this movie.
>>
>>15940534
she waskind of secy in those tight grey pants and boots
i want ther to beat the shit out of me
>>
>>15948486
should be on fire
>>
>>15938877
This could have easily been a armitage sequel.
>>
>>15970256
same desu
>>
All I'm going to say is that I seriously needed this film
>>
>>15966554
The lack of recoil is because the propmasters didn't build them around real guns, they just had a motorised clicky-clack thing that moved when the trigger was pulled. The muzzle flare was added in post.

Compare to Deckard's gun, which is a hybrid flare gun/revolver/bolt action rifle, weighs a ton and kicks like a mule just firing blanks.
>>
>>15937782

I'm still not sure how I feel about this film. I guess I liked it OK, but the end of it was unsatisfying. What I liked about it least was the replicant underground movement bits, except for when they shit on the protagonists assumptions, which was also shitting on the audiences assumptions. I guess I didn't really care for any of the bits with Harrison Ford in them, either. It seemed like they weren't terribly necessary to anything. I guess overall I left with the feeling that what I was watching wasn't the real movie, but shit that was happening just around the corner, or just before or just after the movie that I saw. Like, this was all just a side story for the real story that we only got glimpses of.
>>
>>15938244
>the trailers
The film has awful marketing. It's nothing like you'd expect from the trailers. A shame it's flopping, but I can see why it would. They did not know how to promote it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.