[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 81vZKm-9WWL._SX342_.jpg (51 KB, 342x429)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I want to get into pic related but it's so full of filler. How do I into it without being subjected to all the pointless stuff?
>>
>>15952117
Old franchises mostly episodic, or at the best a series of mini-arcs of just a handful of episodes; you're going to have to get used to it.
>>
>>15952117
>I want to get into pic related but it's so full of filler. How do I into it without being subjected to all the pointless stuff?

Find someone kind enough to have watched the entire show and compiled a list of the good episodes and those that can be skipped.
>>
>>15952117
Why is the anime community full of so many faggots who treat filler like the devil before even giving the episodes a chance to see if they're actually good regardless of overall story relevance?
>>
>>15952186
Because there is literally one show that did filler well and it was because it had subtlety and world building
>>
>>15952189
That is?
>>
>>15952117
You simply don't.

If you're in the mindset of wanting to watch a concise story without filler there are hundreds of 13 episode anime series available to you. Stop wasting your time. Stop wasting other people's time.
>>
>>15952186
Gotta get those cheevos for watching the minimum.
>>
>>15952444
Trips of truth.
Fucking goldfish attention people trying to watch shows without actually watching them seem to be a thing these days.
>>
>>15952117
Just watch whatever you want from it. Sure, you could check out the compilation movie or something but it's not like you're obligated to understand as much of Gatchaman as possible for the sake of your Gatchaman major, so just focus on having fun watching a fun superhero show.
>>
>>15952425
Why would you even ask?
>>
>>15952117
Look at that ass
>>
>muh plot
>>
>>15952425
Casshan
>>
>>15952445
You're an idiot
>>
>>15952117
Why are you watching a 70s anime if you don't want episodic stuff?
>>
>>15953556
The show sounded interesting, but I'm new to older shows and it's episodic nature
>>
>>15953545
What exactly is wrong with my statement? This thread literally starts with someone trying to watch a show without actually watching the show. This same thing happened just a while ago in another thread and has been discussed before to boot.
>>
>>15952117
Like 99% of the show is "pointless", but it's all fairly enjoyable. If you're going to start watching older shows you need to accept that there's nothing wrong with a more episodic style and that these shows are definitely not made for binge watching.
>>
>>15953564
>filler is ok because of arbitrary reasoning
>>
>>15953559
If you would like to save time, watch the first episode and the final set of episodes.

80s mecha shows are less episodic as they are about a journey or escalation of war.

Even american kids cartoons like transformers and x men follow that.
>>
>>15953616
It's arbitrary to find it odd that people want to watch a show, much less an episodic one, without actually watching the meat of said episodes? I've been enlightened.
>>
>>15953641
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>15954451
Something you obviously lack.
>>
>>15954467
Epic xD
>>
>>15954451
I like how you're replying to the other guy as if he's me with the same non-arguments.
>>
>>15954473
>this level of autism
>>
>>15952186
Because Naruto completely polarized the concept of a breather episode.
>>
>>15954501
Naruto had the worst filler in history, even as a dumbfuck kid I still dropped that crap show
>>
>>15954501
>>15954592
The kicker is, that adaptation was done by Studio Pierrot, who managed to kill their Bleach adaptation from too many anime-original arcs, so they've learned nothing since then! Even when the Naruto manga was finally finished, they don't know when to stop artificially extending Shippuden.
>>
>>15952186
Because serialised stories are far better to watch the way modern viewers are watching these old anime (sitting down and watching the entire thing in one go, as opposed to week-by-week over months as intended).

>>15954663
>who managed to kill their Bleach adaptation from too many anime-original arcs
To this day I've never spoken to anyone who watched the entire Bount Arc, god only knows how it lasted as long as it did.
>>
>>15953559
Honestly, try a shorter show first if you're not sure you can handle Mazinger's length.
>>
>>15954814
Wait fuck I mean Gatchaman.
>>
>>15954669
The real kicker is it was only 30 episodes but it felt like forever. I remember everyone agreeing that it had a strong start and then when the soul society got really involved everyone started to tap out. It was a like a warning sign of things to come.
>>
People have weird reactions to episodic content
I mean, so many people but refuse to even take a look at super robot shows, and then worship Jojo part 3 even though it's pretty much nothing but MotW with almost no plot advancement for forty episodes straight
I guess enough style can hide repetition
>>
File: whattucker.gif (1.81 MB, 230x250)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
>>15955232
>only 30 episodes
I thought that shit went on for 2 seasons?
>>
>>15955259
One season is three months/12-13 eps, so no reason you can't both be right
>>
>>15952117
>so full of filler

Filler is a buzz word for when you want to say you enjoy something but only want to watch the "cool stuff" or highlights.
>>
>>15955283
Nah, I meant a season as in a full production cycle of 30~ episodes, it was just so fucking dull I experienced the effects of time dilation trying to watch it
>>
>>15955287
No it isn't you retard
>>
Here’s a revolutionary idea. Don’t watch it and save yourself the time and the embarrassment. In fact, you’re not even forced to watch /m/ shit or do anything at all.
>>
>>15955921
I never said I was forced, why can't anyone read
>>
>>15955965 #
Then you sure are implying it. You say you want to get into gatchaman, but you don’t want to watch it. The thing you call pointless and filler is the show. You trim the episodes you think are filler and you end up with maybe like 1/4 or at best 1/2 of the show. If you’re gonna watch a show like that, you might as well save it for something you actually like.
>>
>>15956054
I said I want to avoid pointless filler you fucking inbred
>>
>>15952117
Watch crowds
>>
>>15957155
How is it related?
>>
>>15952117
The "filler" is the show. You don't watch Gatchaman for the epic overarching plot. You watch to see giant robot mummies and lava Jesus and that one episode where Joe falls in love with the robot racecar driver or the one where the old man in the wheelchair dies to stop the little girl from getting drilled open on an operating table and all the other weird shit that happens
>>
>>15956094
There’s no such thing as pointless filler in episodic series you dumbass. The filler is the show.
>>
>>15956094
The "pointless filler" is the whole show. If you don't like it, don't watch it
>>
>>15956094
"I want to get into spongebob but there's so much filler how do i get to the important stuff guys"
>>
I don't think people understand that these shows are not meant to be binge watched. They are open and shut cases and don't leave you hanging on the edge of your seat waiting to find out some big reveal or build up to a big reveal like modern day shows do. You watch the episode and enjoy it for 23 minutes and then move on to do something else with your day.
>>
>>15957664
This helped change my mindset anon, thanks
>>
>>15957664
Weekly group watch when?
>>
Anyone have Gatchaman Fighter?
>>
>>15957223
>Watch Krusty Krab recruitment arc
>watch the piece of paper retrieval arc, sets up Squidward as a "rival" to Spongebob and Patrick in future arcs
>Skip Plankton's introductory arc, they reworked and reanimated it to make it work much better in Spongebob Kai, you can watch those episodes instead
>watch the whole Fry Cook Games tournament, don't skip episode 127, it looks like a filler episode but it's actually important to the future introduction of Sandy and the Kung Fu Island arc
>skip the Life of Gary OVA, it's just moeshit filler they crapped out for a cheap profit
>DON'T SKIP THE KRUSTY KRAB TRAINING VIDEO, many fans erroneously label it a filler episode while ignoring how crucial it is to adding emotional depth to the death of Mr. Krabs and the succession of Pearl in the next two arcs
>just read the manga for Band Geeks, the TV adaptation was rushed and had an original ending because they ran out of material to adapt, the manga's much better. Great conclusion to Squidward and Squilliam's storyline
>watch the movie, skip the post movie filler arcs until Hillenburg comes back

Fucking oldfags always pretend every episode is worth watching, they refuse to admit how much you can pare the show down to the actual important story beats.
>>
>>15960784
>he skips the toenail
>>
>>15957664
Not to mention that episodic shows also meant that if someone missed an episode, it didn't matter at a time when recording wasn't as readily available, and the lack of internet meant that you couldn't just go back and watch an earlier episode.
>>
>>15960794
Not missing much

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.