[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: C8n81V0WAAAy6F4.jpg (67 KB, 1200x900)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>
Oh look, it's the already obsoleted Napoleon-era musket of railguns.
>>
>>16023456
still does the job.

when was the last time a rail gun in gundam did a good job btw?

also is this just IBO gunpla compatible or they will include connectors to make it compatible with non IBO gunpla?
>>
>>16023557

Freedom/Strike Freedom maybe? I can't recall if Kira ever did anything of consequence with the railguns, though I doubt it since SEED and Destiny generally had melee be more effective than guns. The railguns were animated as beams anyway, so it barely counts. I'm not sure any other shows even used railguns.
>>
>>16023560
The railguns were usually animated as beams, but were still treated as physical projectiles, so they did jack shit against phase shift armor.
Outside of full burst attacks, I only recall Kira using SF's railguns one time against Shinn at point blank range as a 'warning shot' (if Kira had used the equally accessible chest plasma cannon, Shinn would've outright died).
>>
File: 1504264303966.png (676 KB, 444x1109)
676 KB
676 KB PNG
>>
>>16023560
00 Used rail gun like guns on the S1 grunts, but they did nothing of consequence really.
>>
Fuck you and fuck this stupid gun holy shit
just rename the whole fucking Anime: Gundam Dannsleif because this shit really makes everything else fucking useless.
Just stick some fucking boosters on this fucking thing because why the fuck ever use anything else. Fucking seriously.
>>
>>16023560
CE is such a piece of shit with their designs, they just stuck all sorts of random crap and backpacks on the gundam for the hell of it.
And of course they wanked off Kira immensely, why do Jap fans suck his dick so much when he's an annoying little godmodder who still pulls that pacifism "only aiming at their non-essential sections" bullshit, somehow even while he is randomly beamspamming everywhere with overpowered weapons?
>>
File: IMG_0518.png (2.94 MB, 1108x1478)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB PNG
>>16023448
>>
>>16023682
Kill yourself my man.

The Gundams and all their dumb hax to try and justify melee LARP combat only deserved to be taken down a notch.

Its a garbage universe with garbage snowflake tech and protagonists.
>>
Fun fact: The Dainsleif is modeled after the sewing needle Nagai frequently uses to carve pentagrams and inverted cross into his arms.
>>
>>16023687
I'll remember that when I'm in hell watching a bunch of Dannsleif genre mecha shows about hotblooded kids firing railguns. Because I totally wanted to watch this because of railguns. I was very interested in the people using railguns and the specific way they used a railgun. Like how in Season 1 the main character used a railgun against the other railguns, but then that final railgun was a human-brain railgun and he became part of the railgun to overcome the evil railgun. Are you fucking stupid or something?

The only thing worse than the fucking Dannslief was late-S2 Orga fucking pissing his pants, planning to run away constantly and crying about everything.

>>16023688
I enjoy a good bit of trivia, they were neat weapons.
>>
>>16023687
so OO?

>>16023682
so where have you been for the entirety of the gundam franchise with beam weaponry being OP?

seriously, anyone else have problems with settings that have giant mechs only for said giant mechs to be blown up in one shot (usually after seconds of deployment) because beam weapons make armor (and by extension, mechs) useless?

why not make super maneuverable small craft (say an improved ball design) with beams?
>>
>>16023692
other than the satellite cannon (gundam x finale), and the moonlight butterfly scaring the crap out of midgard (turn-a) i like how the dainsleif scared the shit out of the tekkadan survivors when they realized gjallarhorn used "that" weaponry on mars.

sure "it's a gundam!" is memetic but they don't usually show them running scared away from a gundam unit.
>>
>>16023692
>>16023682
Watching professional Grunt soldiers in their Grunt suits gun down dumb fuckin kids and psychopaths rainbow clown mechs waving swords at them via superior firepower is amazing. More if it WOULD be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ozOvZKjbyA
>>
>>16023700
Funny joke, but what's really bizarre is that there are people who actually think like this and also think they're welcome on /m/.
>>
>>16023694
Beam Weaponry that is used by Mobile Suits piloted by people.
I'm mostly just venting anger, I just finished IBO about 12 minutes ago, that the entire conclusion to the McGillis/King of Mars plot was such a jarring mix of full stops and turn arounds.
Conceptually I have no problem with the weapon, but I find its literary use was specifically to bring around a "Bad End" and render all other options useless. They've got 20 dudes with these things, so now an entire fleet is useless, suddenly the good guys are useless. They spent all this other time with Mobile Armors, different systems to enhance your machine to its limit, technology that required human sacrifice and they rendered it all a backdrop for the cool snipey weapon.

>>16023697
It was a pretty cool last fight

>>16023700
The Acguy scenes in Thunderbolt 2 are probably my favorite, I do enjoy a good soldiering unit of grunt machines toughing it out.
Fuck Orga though, and fuck the Dannslief.
>>
>>16023694

> so OO?

It describes Gundam as a whole really.

> why not make super maneuverable small craft (say an improved ball design) with beams?

The Ball isn't that great a design for a start, and it's main thruster is in an awful position relative to the firing axis of it's main weapon while it's only other thrusters are all much smaller and on a collar that should make it impossible to maneuvere "down". A ball shape isn't a bad shape, but almost everything else about it is pretty badly designed and there's plenty of other shapes you could use that are just about as good as a ball for a base shape.
>>
File: Worst gundam protag -ever.jpg (303 KB, 1312x1629)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>16023714
/m/ has always loved Grunts more than dumb fucking kids.

Some IBO fanboy doesn't have any idea what /m/ is
>>
>>16023719
Fleets are always useless against mobile suits and their guns, Did you forget the Battle of the Loum?
>>
>>16023719
In most situations they were used the larger fleet was useless.
>>
>>16023725

> /m/ has always loved Grunts more than dumb fucking kids.

Source? /m/ has never had a single opinion or even common consensus and it's always been a mix of various preferences.
>>
>>16023723
more of used the rb-79 ball as an example on what to develop (mount beam weapons on balls and improve the mobility).

>>16023719
honestly, i don't know if people would've liked it if rustal dropped the whole "make it legal" thing (have one of their guys fire a round at his own fleet) and just started using them at the start (still sparing the non tekkadan. fareed fleet mind you).

i mean Saddam Hussein wanted the mother of all tank battles but the US bombed most of his tanks before it could happen. sure one can argue they didn't need to do that (the abrams being leagues ahead of what the Iraqis have) but you don't play the other guy's game (you make them play yours).
>>
>>16023750
>the episode preview showed a huge tank fight
>they ran out of money and the last episode was just the plane stock footage and a lot of talking
>>
>>16023753
imagine the meager IBO fights.
imagine how shorter they get when it's a typical gundam show (beams rule).

also how else can we get people to think grunt suits with executioner axes actually pose a threat?
>>
>>16023758
>also how else can we get people to think grunt suits with executioner axes actually pose a threat?
Did anyone? They were killing Grazes like they were nothing all season.
>>
>>16023761
true but at that point they were pretty much screwed (once their ammo and thruster fuel runs out, it's just a matter of time). I like how stuff like that actually matters (not in the phase shift runs out/particles depleted way though).

though some believe that was actually macky's guys.
>>
I hope we get Dainsleifs in GB4.
>>
>>16023557
In Thunderbolt Atlas used a railgun pretty well until he managed to wreck it like every MS Io pilots
>>
>>16023750

You don't just need to improve it's mobility though, you need to augment it's shape to give it better weapon mounting options. If it's literally just a ball you'll need to take up most of the surface area to give it maneuverability along every axis unless you make it huge enough that it can fit weapons as well as thrusters on each plane of movement. Better to give it some kind of additional structure to increase surface area without increasing size as much.
>>
File: Atlas 17.jpg (483 KB, 1694x1200)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>16023557
The main gun the Atlas uses for a time is a rail gun and it's pretty damn effective. The down side to it was that it was long, so it got damage by the beam from the Grumblo which made it useless.
>>
>>16023800
That disgusting piece of shit OC mecha...
>>
>>16023771
>(not in the phase shift runs out/particles depleted way though).
It was kind of used in that way.

Same with the laminate the Gjallarhorn battleships looked like they were based around ww2 era ships sporting large deck guns, which should have been nearly as effective as the deinsleif as the barbatos's 300mm(why are all the rounds 2 sizes too big on ms?) was effective against mobile suits, they also had a better rate of fire and two turrets per ship.

There was also the skipjack which was large and its guns were even bigger. There was no real need for deinsleifs in the show they made the conventional alternative useless because they needed a dramatic evil weapon and deck guns don't have that connotation. Also in the last stand they could have dropped a lot of things on the base.
>>
Rail guns just launches innert slugs. Them being portrayed as uber powerful in IBO makes me want to puke.
>>
>>16023849
Shaped charges are forbidden tech in IBO. They could try to put a payload onto something fired from a railgun if they wanted to.
>>
>>16023842
more of they just need the particles to be generated/slap in a new battery pack (like the ones in the perfect strike) and they're good.

more of the ammo/fuel gradually gets depleted the longer the battle goes on and they have to be restocked/refueled in their respective ships but not in the "heavyarms uses all guns at once" way either.
>>
>>16023719

That's sort of the point. The last arc explicitly illustrates that all the romance is going out of the setting. The days of the Gundam are done, in IBO. They're no longer needed, and they're relics the way the Mobile Armor was.

Rustal didn't need Bael to win. He just needed a larger fleet and a shitload of guys with railguns. Against that, there's simply no defense. He hit them laterally, and McGillis and Tekkadan just couldn't think of a counter.

It's sort of like how Hathaway's Flash illustrates that you can't rely on the "One guy gets a Gundam, changes the world" plot any longer.
>>
>>16023909
I think one of the sore points about it is they never properly prepared for it. heck it even seems like it never crossed their minds (with the exception of takaki ordering that one special round but even that's woefully short in comparison).

granted the best defense for it is "do not get hit", some preparation/defense is better than none.
>>
>>16023919
That's because they are a bunch of dumb fuccbois going up against the actual professional part of the military
>>
>>16023919

Well, it's tremendously illegal and they didn't think Rustal was morally bankrupt enough to use it. Besides, what counter could they have?

It's like if Blackwater went up against the United States army, and the US army decided to drop a MOAB on them. Exactly what CAN you do? Tekkadan's fleet was two ships, and they had like twenty mobile suits AT MOST. Almost all pilots had the AV system, but even then they were up against overwhelming numbers. When the railguns came up, it was all over bar the crying.
>>
>>16023927
suits have a chance at dodging but the ships are totally screwed even if it takes several volleys to sink them (baring a shot taking out the bridge). at best place the ships far apart enough so a concentrated fire can't happen.

but yeah, still screwed either way.
>>
>>16023944

It's made worse by the fact Rustal employed them as a sucker-punch. His first volley reduced their fleet size BY HALF. Even if he'd fought a strictly conventional battle afterwards, he'd still have won.
>>
File: 1508064589274.jpg (78 KB, 444x460)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>16023909
I feel it was anti-romantic but only in retrospect. There was nothing wrong with the plan up to that point, even the silly Bael grab let them neutralize everyone but Fareed.
Only after the first volley of dannsleif is Mcgillis a fucking clown, Orga is suddenly hell bent on pussing out and suddenly an entire two seasons worth of military tech is now obsolete because of a silly gun.

It was 'Gundam Wings Dai Gurren Brigade teams up with adapted Milliardo Peacecraft to stop corrupt space cops' until suddenly it was 'The Last Samurai'
>>
>>16023993
There's nothing silly about the guns compared to the ridiculously dumb gundams.
>>
>>16023993
>Fareed
I meant rustal. I think. Whoever goatee man was
>>
>>16024000
But they're not dumb gundams. Its a Gundam show. Those are your main characters bread and butter.
It's the military tech they thrived off of for 40+ episodes until that moment
>>
>>16024011
In Gundam Wing the gundams are destroyed multiple times while the pilots manage on, and the final battle is won because of multiple armies backing up the Wing boys.
Your comparison is kinda ridiculous.
>>
>>16023993

It's because they never really went up against Rustal before. MOST of Gjallhorn is incredibly incompetent, but it's people like Rustal who are the steel that has kept the organization on top since the Calamity War.

McGillis never really had a plan, and Orga is pussing out for a really good reason. When Rustal loses men, he doesn't care about them, not personally. When Orga loses men, he's losing family. Obviously, Orga is a lot more emotionally attached to his dudes than Rustal is.

>>16024021

Yeah, IBO is basically the opposite of SEED, where the Three Ships Alliance basically defeats two armies, because they had three Gundams.
>>
>>16024035
>SEED
Man just fuck Seed AND Destiny, that entire universe is worthless and the fact Jap fans masturbate over it and its terrible 'hero' so hard is disgusting.
>>
>>16024035
>Yeah, IBO is basically the opposite of SEED, where the Three Ships Alliance basically defeats two armies, because they had three Gundams.
Kind of? Gundams were still near indestructible on the battlefield by the end of IBO. To the point of an army wasn't working and they resorted to an orbital bombardment.
>>
>>16023807
The hell is your problem lmao
>>
>>16024048

Yeah, but you can't win a war by having three guys physically punch armies into submission. Mika actually wins every fight he's in and wrecks dozens of Grazes, but ultimately Tekkadan has an undersized impact on the final battle.

They're just two ships! Rustal could actually dedicate whole squadrons to just tie them up.
>>
>>16024058
Two ships that almost win the battle.
>>
>>16024062
But they didn't, and all those dumb bastards died like the rabid dogs they were.
>>
>>16024021
Who gives a fuck about the comparison.

The point is the show took an unsatisfying turn by going from a Mobile Suit driven militia with big goals and a chance at the big time, doing plenty of amazing fantastical Gundam things and playing it straight til that episode.
Suddenly in that episode Mcgillis is an incompetent joke. Suddenly Orga doesn't want his damn prize and wants to bow and apologize to everyone.
When big bad Gundam was all that was needed for 40 or so episodes now the show wants to demonstrate some sort of anti Gundam, cliche/trope breaking plot.

>>16024035
I get why everything happened the way it happened. I can see why Orga, after arriving on Mars, decided to get out of a losing game.
I just feel there was some serious character assassination/badass decay prior to the actual battle. Those dannsleif bolts may as well been the nails in the coffin to momentum of the show, everything just sputtered off the rails into fuck it mode.

Sorry you got fucking blown the fuck up Shino, we decided we didn't give a fuck about winning after you died. Guess we raked all those dead bodies in for no reason.
>>
>>16024073
But if they had three ships what would have happened?

The idea that they got close with two ships and Rustal was barely able to scrape away despite the giant and overall more experienced navy kind of defies the idea the age of gundam was over and is more like Rustal got lucky. The show took a direction but took every chance to shit on it.
>>
>>16024075
Mcgillis was always a retard, all the pointless backstabbing he did of people that would have worked with him is proof enough of that.

His excuse for killing them was nonsense.
>>
You fanboys are fucking pathetic, this shows was obvious trash since early on, the surprising ending is the only interesting thing it actually did.
>>
>>16024078
Nice

Spacing

Rustal
>>
>>16024085
You mean the same "spacing" everyone in the thread has been using?
>>
>>16024085
I bet Rustal's the sort of person who'd edit his own Wikipedia article too. Like Gorka.
>>
>>16024088
/a/ has started sperging about it.
>>
>>16024078
That is the flaw of his character, but we only know he's ultimately foolish in retrospect.
I wonder if this retarded ending was intended in the beginning, or if Mcgillis just fell apart as a character and they couldn't figure out how to write badguy.

If they were really his friends why didn't they all nerd out playing Gundam dnd together. Did he never ners out over Agnika before?
>>
>>16024095

About what? Using paragraphs to break up text and preventing it being an overwhelming and formless mass of text.
>>
>>16024113
Something stupid about Reddit scaremongering, I don't know
>>
>>16024078
His plan to eliminate the families were working perfectly in the first season, he only started to shit the bed when Okada changed the plants because she started to pull a Fukuda on a V.A.
>>
>>16024123
>His plan to eliminate the families
He only wanted two gone for a power grab.
>>
>>16023849
You know that most real-world tanks use kinetic energy penetrators now, right? The actual state of the art in direct-fire cannon technology is inert metal darts, just like the Dainsleifs. They're better at penetrating composite armor designs.
>>
>>16023560
>>16023562
If I remember right, he once took out the Abyss's hydrothrusters with them. I guess either the intakes weren't phase-shifted or they were and the metal was just thin enough that a strong railgun shot could still warp them.
>>
>>16024321
You know that poster is just fishing for (You)s right?
>>
>>16024118
>/a/ has started sperging about it
>I don't know
Clearly.
>>
>>16025208
Not the same person
>>
from the neo-zeong thread

>Neo Zeong[sic] in their desperation built a giant MA/MS thingy with Op tech and it still couldn't beat friendship powers.

"true love conquers all" didn't protect the protagonists from dainsleifs and that's more potent that friendship powers.

"obsoleted Napoleon-era musket of railguns" are more effective than the neo-zeong.
>>
>>16025340

I agree. One thing I don't like about late-UC and most AUs is that Gundams are so stupidly powerful there's really no point in fielding anything else.

The Unicorn shuts down an entire squadron of GMs with a wave of one hand. What's the fucking point of having Mobile Suits after that? It's ridiculous. I prefer the Gundam as an ace machine, like the Full Armor Gundam in Thunderbolt - It's really good, but it's not invulnerable, and there's nothing explicitly supernatural about it.
>>
File: 1510206353618.png (444 KB, 674x720)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>>16025382
>late UC
>Unicorn
>>
>>16025318
Oh.
>>
>>16023681
>00 Used rail gun like guns on the S1 grunts
I have no recollection of this. I thought the 00 had beam weapons and only physical melee.
>>
>>16025382
I like that gundam 00 played around with the idea of the Gundams being super weapons
>>
>>16025382
one of the things i liked in x. despite having enemy gundams, almost everything else is a believable threat to the freeden's gundams.
wrecks havoc in vs threads for them though.
>>
>>16024321

I don't think the problem with armor in IBO has to do with composite or reactive armor.

HEAT vs using the kinetic energy of the projectile would have different circumstances.
It may just boil down to which would have more kinetic energy.

I guess in IBO there was no reason not to go straight kinetic because super space metal and newtons third law was ignored. Don't know how fast you could launch a heat warhead in space, but in atmosphere it couldn't be the same, not that it really matters as much for damage purposes.
>>
>>16025429
IIRC the Flag's gun was a railgun.
>>
>>16025340
Neo-Zeong only lost because a 50 year old space ghost came out and stole the soul of the pilot.
That thing would've just melted the Unicorn but Full Frontal wanted to engage in debates about the role Entropy has in the meaning of life, which pissed off space granny.
>>
File: 1508007481710.webm (1.13 MB, 500x280)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB WEBM
My favorite webm.
>>
>>16023750
Don't remind me, I wanted Prokhorovka 2: Desert Boogaloo
>>
>>16025382
>supernatural
I don't think you have the right metaseries if you don't want any paranormal stuff like psychics.
>>
>>16025525
This is a pretty nice edit?
>>
so what if you add DG cells to this?

would it fix the "tremendous wear and tear" problem and generate it's own bolts (no need for a loader)?
>>
>>16025785
Tail end of Destiny would've been much better if it was about Kira the Impaler.
>>
>>16025471
HEAT has a scaling limitation, wherein the dimensions of the charge dictate the jet of metal that would be produced when it detonates, which in turn dictates how much material it can punch through. Its advantages largely lie in how it doesn't rely on velocity of the projectile itself for its effect. For man portable antivehicle weapons, HEAT is great, but even today advances in armor have begun to hamper the efficacy of HEAT.

KEP is more straightforward and to the point since it's mostly a matter of focusing on mass and velocity to achieve the joules necessary to punch through a material, but that means a more energetic propulsion method, which can ultimately restrict such weaponry to vehicles.

All in all it's not impossible that nanolaminate acts like a composite armor against HEAT, which would really fuck with such a projectile's performance. But since it's a hard rigid armor type, that makes it still vulnerable to suitably energetic KEP systems, such as dainsleif.

That, or HESH munitions.
>>
>>16026075
>But since it's a hard rigid armor type, that makes it still vulnerable to suitably energetic KEP systems, such as dainsleif.
I always assumed IBO's Nanolaminate acted more like an energy diffusing "Miracle Coating;" A nano-engineered material that can quickly disperse most forms of energy through it's macro-molecular lattice.
...Not so much a hard, rigid material as it is Vibranium-seal paint.

Still you are right though, there is only so much energy such a material could take and with as much lost super-tech as their is in IBO, I wouldn't doubt a Dainsleif is actually a stupidly powerful KEP system.
>>
>>16026104
I always figured it was essentially as the name indicates, a nano-scale laminated armor, that is to say something you coat a surface with and acts as a very thin applique armor.

When you factor in that ahab reactors are really fucking weird and do have gravity distorting properties, it could be that as a whole the nanolaminate-ahab pair is a system of achieving ultra-durable armor in a highly compact package, where instead of metal being blown off you instead have a paint-like material chipping away as it tanks tremendous amount of kinetic energy.
>>
>>16026120
Also it's possible that the proper spec dainsleif rod just has a weird material interaction with nanolaminate as well; considering KE scales with the square of velocity, and that the launchers are totally kosher with the rods being the part that gets you in trouble apparently, if you have to scrutinize the logic of it all it seems suspicious that a change in the projectile construction is more meaningful than how fast it's being shot out.

But I'll admit up front I didn't study materials science, so I don't know if it's possible that a weaker metal could just shatter on a harder surface and that you need to meet some kind of density benchmark to ensure proper penetration.
>>
>>16026075

>HEAT has a scaling limitation, wherein the dimensions of the charge dictate the jet of metal that would be produced when it detonates, which in turn dictates how much material it can punch through. Its advantages largely lie in how it doesn't rely on velocity of the projectile itself for its effect. For man portable antivehicle weapons, HEAT is great, but even today advances in armor have begun to hamper the efficacy of HEAT.
If they started taking composite armor or something against it its one thing otherwise it'd just be two different ways of making kinetic energy.

>but that means a more energetic propulsion method, which can ultimately restrict such weaponry to vehicles.
newton's third law was mentioned.

>All in all it's not impossible that nanolaminate acts like a composite armor against HEAT
Why would it? Its the farthest thing from composite armor.

You're acting like using straight kinetic energy is something new, its not.
>>
>>16026120
>I always figured it was essentially as the name indicates, a nano-scale laminated armor, that is to say something you coat a surface with and acts as a very thin applique armor.
That's EXACTLY what it is from my understanding; They literally use it as paint in its liquid form, then it hardens into an ultra durable shell.

>When you factor in that ahab reactors are really fucking weird and do have gravity distorting properties, it could be that as a whole the nanolaminate-ahab pair is a system of achieving ultra-durable armor in a highly compact package, where instead of metal being blown off you instead have a paint-like material chipping away as it tanks tremendous amount of kinetic energy.
Actually, Nanolaminate apparently doesn't even need an Ahab reaction to be super durable, but the gravitic fuckery does help.
Otherwise, yeah, its basically paint that can absorb a hell of a beating.

>>16026127
>Also it's possible that the proper spec dainsleif rod just has a weird material interaction with nanolaminate as well; considering KE scales with the square of velocity, and that the launchers are totally kosher with the rods being the part that gets you in trouble apparently, if you have to scrutinize the logic of it all it seems suspicious that a change in the projectile construction is more meaningful than how fast it's being shot out.
>But I'll admit up front I didn't study materials science, so I don't know if it's possible that a weaker metal could just shatter on a harder surface and that you need to meet some kind of density benchmark to ensure proper penetration.
Yeah, Dainsleif Rods are made from the same super-strong material that Mobile Suit frames and their Melee Weapons are, which would be a necessity considering the stupid amount of KE that needs to be concentrated into the tip of the penetrator in order to pierce the NL coating.
Anything weaker will probably shatter or spall, allowing the NL to better disperse all that energy.
>>
>>16026319
>Yeah, Dainsleif Rods are made from the same super-strong material that Mobile Suit frames and their Melee Weapons are, which would be a necessity considering the stupid amount of KE that needs to be concentrated into the tip of the penetrator in order to pierce the NL coating.
>Anything weaker will probably shatter or spall, allowing the NL to better disperse all that energy.
Barbatos was able to take out grazes with a 300mm cannon early on. There was a limitation.
>>
>>16026345
I hate to jump in randomly like this but wasn't the idea that nanolaminate was the opposite of phase-shift? Whereas phase-shift took a shitload of kinetic punishment, nanolaminate said "fuck you" to anything remotely related to heat, which is why beating the tar out of a mobile suit with a giant hammer still worked, and beamspam didn't.
>>
>>16026642
Didn't someone use napalm against it to burn the paint away at some point?
>>
>>16026642
No, actually nanolaminate is more of a passive defense variant of Phase Shift, in that you don't need an active source of power to make nanolaminate work (though it helps to be in the area of effect of an ahab reactor, for weird SCIENCEy reasons).

>>16026654
Yeah it still burns off, napalm's inherently sticky nature advantages it here in that it'll stick to and impart suitsignificant amounts of thermal energy onto a nanolaminated surface.

But the key part there is that napalm contacts the armor and burns.
>>
>>16026712
Why don't more mobile suits in IBO use flame throwers then (realistic ones, that shoot gouts of burning fuel a good distance)

Seems better than only twatting away at each other with big sticks.
>>
>>16026746
Explosion risks, people yelling about war crimes, lack of a totally-not-Vietnam presentation.
>>
>>16026654
>>16026712
Looks like I was wrong, thanks for clearing that up regardless. Overall this discussion, especially >>16026746 makes me wonder why they bothered in the first place. All the Calamity War stuff seems really shoehorned in, to the point where it would have just been easier to say "they never/haven't invented beams", but that's a discussion for a different thread.
>>
>>16026754
IBO is a terrible setting with even more bullshit than the average.

Actually as you go further into the franchise with new series the amount of bullshit they tack on tends to increase, though not uniformly of course.
Guess you can just chalk that up the the awful power creep seen in any long running franchise.
>>
>>16026754
Because they intentionally illustrate why it is that a beam, which would impart thermal energy onto a mobile suit, doesn't work out as well as you'd think: it refractive off the suit, meaning a large amount of that energy is never imparted on the intended target.

Physical attacks and contact-burning stuff like napalm reign here explicitly because they can still connect and thus impart the bulk of their energy onto the target, but for a significant range of attacks puncturing is not viable relative to impact damage.

The end result is that mobile suits take up a role amongst themselves akin to medieval knights in the time of surface hardened armor. The armor has become too hard to consistently puncture, but you can just bludgeon the soft human inside until they lose consciousness.
>>
>>16025471
>>16026075
>>16026104
>>16026120
>>16026127
>>16026313
>>16026319
>>16026774
Huh, this takes me back. We've had this argument before.

So as far as I can tell, nanolaminate has billion tiny nanomachines on it's surface. My theory is that most of this works via magnetic field manipulation.

Against KEP it just hardens up the armor. The nanomachines pull on eachother to form a stronger barrier than normal material science allows.

Against beam weapons they act like a billion tiny I-fields, pushing the beam away from the hull. It's not perfect and MSs will still come away toasty but it's a lot less damage than a beam rifle on a zaku II

Theoretically, you can use the magnetic fields to distrupt HEAT warheads, tripping their fuses early or delaying them until after ideal standoff distance. There's no evidence of this but it's possible.

HESH could still cause damage but without a direct hit over the cockpit it's unlikely to do more than scuff the paint.
>>
>>16026754
>>16026764
>Make a backstory that's more interesting than the main plot and setting
>Don't use it
>Probably for the best since no one using the universe can write a damn
It's fucking suffering
>>
>>16025436
Even in 00 it became a moot point when everyone got GN drives. The arms race got nuts with 00 and twin drives, but even then Ribbons figured that out and had his own twin drive Gundam. If anything, in 00 the GN drives were metaphors for nukes
>>
>>16023682
People misunderstand what made this weapon so effective. For one, it was used as a strategic trap. And two, the added destructive force from re-entry was a huge factor. These things aren't a free pass, they had to be used effectively to get the job done.
>>
>>16023557
You make it sound like OP's model is mass release, isn't it just a custom someone made?
>>
>>16023849
They are good in IBO because they are made from the super special armor material of the show, so they can survive reentry after being launched (gaining all that added acceleration and heat), resulting in an powerful weapon if used for planetary bombardment.
>>
>>16025340
Thematically maybe. Probably not in practice though.
>>
>>16023747
He was responding to someone who thought it wasn't ok to prefer grunts.

There have been plenty of grunt wank threads in the past.

>>16031011
Deinsleif were pretty much just artillery, why nothing else worked is up in the air.

>>16031016
Most of their use was in space and the orbital bombardment effect was kind of tame.
>>
Why aren't explosives more effective in IBO? If a mace is valued for being able to transfer kinetic force through armor, wouldn't an explosive work just as well?
>>
>>16031107
Sorta kinda depends on things.

If it's a high explosive squashed head - that is, essentially a spitball of explosive that splats onto a surface and then blows up - then you can possibly get spalling from the explosion going through the armor and reflecting off the inner surface, which I forget if it was said in this thread or one of the many other times it's been said, but when that happens then yeah that'll fuck whatever's inside it.

But the principle behind that is that you're propagating the blast wave through the armor, which is why HESH is designed the way it is - the explosive splats on to maximize surface area, which yields the optimal results for this method.
>>
>>16025436
They're hardly super weapons (except for maybe the Quanta ELS) and everybody else has GN drives too with the only thing separating a "weapon" from a "superweapon" being plot armor and the TransAmerica insurance company

Gundam X does a much better job of portraying Gundams as super weapons, even though there are only a few that really qualify as such.
And I can't believe you'd cite 00 for that when Wing Gundam has been around forever, and in After Colony the gundams actually feel like superweapons as opposed to the defanged Wing remix that most of 00 is.
>>
>>16031895
Wouldn't that make the maces worthless?
>>
>>16031135

Laminate aside, Ahab reactor counters g forces it might be able to do something about the blast wave
>>
>>16031898
If it could nullify the blast wave it might as well nullify the shock and energy of a giant mace
>>
>>16023448
There's no need to argue about the plot or in-universe tech when it mostly boils down to the writing being a fucking mess
>oh shit gundams need to be defeated but we wrote them to be fucking invincible throughout the entire series
>no time for build up introduce new powerful weapon NOW
>oh shit chocoman needs to be defeated but we wrote him to be behind the scenes genius plotter throughout the entire series
>no time for build up make his plan retarded NOW
>oh shit it's literally the last episode the main crew can't smash their way towards victory because we wrote them to be short sighted fools biting off more than they can chew
>no time for build up make rustal achieve their dreams NOW
>oh shit we need to kill this character but-
>DRIVE BY NOW
>oh shit we forgot to kill Iok after all this time and there might not be anybody alive enought to kill him to satisfy the viewers
>actually we already wrote him to be retarded we can figure this out
>>
>>16031940
Its a magic reactor, with magic armor, blunt trauma and spalling. Don't know much about any of them.

Answer is maybe?

We saw grazes taken down with all kinds of weapons anyways. Deinsleifs were just there for drama.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.