[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Rxuc-ova-ntd.jpg (46 KB, 310x500)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Why do people like this ugly-ass thing so much?
>>
>>16024276
Same reason people like your mother so much OP.
>>
>>16024279
I'd rather suck OPs Mother's dick if it would somehow retcon the Uniicorn from existence.
>>
>>16024276
The green version is better.
>>
>>16024300
Sure visiually.

Doesn't help the thing from being a laughable pile of dumb bullshit with one of the worst UC main characters inside it.
>>
>>16024301
It being a pile of BS is kind of the point. The RX0 units finally made AE realize that they shouldn't fuck with Psychoframe because the results were so batshit insane.
>>
>>16024304
And as for having a terrible MC in control of it?
>>
>>16024309
How is he horrible
>>
>>16024301
Stick to Trainwrecko, kuntala.
>>
>>16024309
Banagher may be OC donut steel, but that has literally zero relevance to the MS itself.
>>
>>16024276
Its better looking than anything from G Gundam and Gundam Seed
>>
File: TItCd2p.png (303 KB, 576x432)
303 KB
303 KB PNG
>>16024363
>*Laughs in Spanish*
>>
>>16024363
Except for the freedom gundam, I second what this guy said
>>
>>16024276
it's not ugly, it just boring.
>>
>>16024363
>>16024452
Outside of Freedom/Justice/Providence, a lot of CE Gundams look stupid as hell due to their weird color schemes, but look generic as fuck without them.
>>
>>16024276
Unicorn mode is better
>>
>>16024363
>looks better than anything from G
The Gundams in G at least had a distinct theme for each of them, Unicorn just looks like a jagged candy cane.
>>
>>16024276

it's because they hear this when they look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KskWgQlA9Ds
>>
File: IMG_2717.jpg (986 KB, 1920x1080)
986 KB
986 KB JPG
>>16024363
kys
Strike freedom is much better design
than Unicorn destroy mode.
>>
>>16024616
>DUDE GOLD FRAME AND WINGS LMAO
>>
>>16024276
Because unlike you some people actually have a sense of style and aesthetic?

>>16024616
No it isn't. Strike Freedom is boring and forgettable.
>>
File: IMG_0041.jpg (103 KB, 500x375)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
I only love calamity gundam in /m/.
>>
>>16024304

Thats the most retarded part for me. It's like saying people stop developing nuke after Trinity because the result were so batshit insane. Zeon and AE literally threw money on them because they wanted to see how badshit insane it could get.
>>
The music makes me appreciate the design.
>>
>>16024682
>one suit disables a fucking fleet and nearly eats the pilot
The issue is if it gets in the wrong hands, and the Box being opened at the same time. People said fuck it, beams are good enough, which leads into F91 territory.
>>
>>16024276
I think it's because it's actually Extremely Cool
>>
>>16024682
You know that one nuclear ramjet cruise missile? The one that is pretty much a mobile Chernobyl whose own exhaust is in of itself a weapon?

The RX0 suits and Neo Zeong, they're like that, the point where even the people fucking with this stuff are like "maybe we should stop while we're ahead."
>>
>>16024718

Project pluto got cancelled not because people were afraid of their own power, but because conventional ICBM were good enough. The sciene was already understood and there was no need to develop it. Psycho frame on the other hand is basicaly fringe science similar what nuclear power was in the 30s and 40s. The potential reward would be so big that "it's too dangerous" is not a realistic excuse. It makes sense that they won't bother with psychoframe MS or refine it into stuff like bio-computer because there is no more enemy to fight, but psychoframe shouldn't just disappear like that especially when it becomes obvious that miraculous effect is now easily reproducible unlike the first "Axis shock"
>>
>>16024682
Yes, the Tsar Bomba. It scared even the Soviets themselves.
>>
>>16024765
Axis Shock being reproducible is actually a pretty solid reason to black hole the technology
>>
>>16024276
The Destroy Mode looks like a Harlequin fetus with the skin cracking open and blood and goo oozing out
>>
>>16024769

That's not the reason they stop making them. Tsar bomba was impractical other than being a dick waving demonstration. There is no point building them when its yield is equal to a few SS-18, which they have at least multiple hundreds of them.

>>16024777
The ability to move a space rock with mind alone, or cancel out all mega particle effect instead of relying on doomsday laser obliterating fleets or thermonuclear pulse engine pretty solid reason for something like this to get a blackhole budget.
>>
File: IMG_0805.jpg (482 KB, 1536x2048)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
>>16024282
>Being this butthurt over Unicorn

Lmaoing @ your puny life
>>
>>16024765
>UC Project got cancelled not because people were afraid of their own power, but because conventional mobile suits were good enough.

Psycoframe is the culmination of several iterations on psycommu technology, and it is fair to equate it to nuclear propulsion, both of them had great potential in theory but were held back by very real concerns in practice.

Axis Shock wasn't "easily reproduced," that was a once in a generation miracle made possible by an unintended design quirk of the underlying technology, not something that can be invoked on demand. All things considered, shit like this is undesirable in a system meant to allow for mind-machine interfacing, nothing about the psycommu as a product was intended to include "doubles as a Lambda Drive."
>>
>>16024829
>Axis Shock wasn't "easily reproduced," that was a once in a generation miracle made possible by an unintended design quirk of the underlying technology, not something that can be invoked on demand.

By easily reproduced, is referring to how the effect now happens when you have two RX-0's in close proximity to each other.

They are insanely dangerous, because there's now not even any conscious control over the effect. The RX-0's were causing it, not the pilots.
>>
File: DESTINY.jpg (136 KB, 640x1878)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>16024616
Ew.
>>
>>16024616
looks better than that fuck ugly F91 metal shit built.
>>
>>16024682
The issue wasn't the technology. On paper all Psychoframe does is act as an advanced man-machine interface which a person could control a mobile suit with their thoughts. The problem is that the technology did so much more than that if a Newtype used it (Axis Shock, Unicorn creating a psychic EMP) which the engineers didn't even realize it could do that it essentially became a black box on its own. Bio-computers are more "standard" man-machine interfaces that just enhanced MS mobility so they became more prevalent in later UC over the unpredictable and honestly dangerous effects of using Psychoframe.
>>
>>16024498
>making something distinctive automatically makes it good

This is the logic people use to defend the Star Wars prequels, and everyone knows they are shit, just like G Gundam
>>
File: Unicornface.png (867 KB, 1280x720)
867 KB
867 KB PNG
>>16024304
Love that part when the engineer tells them that while the psychoframe, it was never even meant to to do that kind of thing
>>
>>16025078
The Unicorn series was just meant to be a amped-up Nu Gundam. They thought that just meant ultra-performance Newtype killing machines.

What they forgot was the Nu Gundam pushed a falling asteroid away from Earth with it's psycoframe powers, and they ended up creating Mech Jesus.
>>
>>16024796
Yeah, it reminds me of severely chapped lips.
>>
>>16024276
Because it's a super-powerful mid-UC update to the RX-78-2. It's the White Devil in its purest form.
>>
File: 275[1].jpg (34 KB, 275x499)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
This is what we like.
>>
I'm so fucking sick of Gundumb MLP
>>
>>16025065
Except for the people that evidently don't?
>>
Is the anime good? I have been really enjoying the soundtrack. Some of these songs are beautiful, like EGO, Sternengesang, and A LETTER. Is the show as emotional and engaging as the music?
>>
>>16025334

The soundtrack is the best part of the OVA. Show is hit or miss. Mostly miss for the later episodes for me. Also Manga ~= Novel > OVA. I think that's pretty much the concensus.
>>
>>16025334
People on /m/ seem to hate it, but I watched it recently and I personally loved it. Some normies watch it without having watched any previous Gundams, but imo it's better when you've actually watched the previous stuff.
>>
>>16025347
>>16025342
Thanks anons.
>Some normies watch it without having watched any previous Gundams
That is me. I do want to watch the original MSG show, and then Zeta afterwards (which I heard is good too). I heard Unicorn has a few nods to the other UC shows, but you can watch it without having watched the others. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Manga too.
>>
>>16025390
I just feel that it has a bigger impact if you have gone through the previous stuff, but that's just how I feel of course.
>>
We should do a fanedit of Unicorn that cuts out everything except Grunt action scenes, that way we can save future generations alot of pain and suffering
>>
>>16025390
DO NOT let stupid MAHQfags on this board deter you from watching ZZ. Fuck their ancient memes
>>
>>16025435
But I will still experience the pain and suffering of GMs jobbing
>>
>>16025395
Cool, in that case I'll watch the previous stuff first.

>>16025438
Yeah I heard mixed feelings about ZZ before which is why I didn't list it. If I'm not burnt out by the time I get to ZZ I'll give it a shot too. It looks like Qubeley is prevalent in that show, which is one of my favorite designs.
>>
>>16024426

That's Mexican.
>>
>>16024276
>Tron lines
>Ugly
Get the fuck out of here
>>
File: 1507759950798.png (166 KB, 680x510)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
>>16024276
>Unicorn
>Ugly
Get your eyes checked faggot, it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing Gundam designs in recent times. It helps that the armor opening up and showing lights on it definitely makes it stand out. I'd rather have something unique and fail than have the same good design motif get reused so much it becomes stale.
>>
>>16025527
ZZ just starts off goofy because Sunrise got cold feet about Parental reaction to the end of Zeta. Keep in mind this was the era of kids being traumatized by Optimus Prime kicking the bucket. Once you get passed the Mashymyre parts it becomes a regular Gundam show, and I think the innocent beginning actually gives the characters more of an arc than they would otherwise have
Dont watch the Zeta movies either, they really fucked up Four as a character.
>>
>>16025564
Theres no such thing as mexican language dumbfuck
>>
File: 1302131836762.jpg (1.44 MB, 4076x2878)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
ehem
>>
>>16028203
Exia's OK, but it's overrated.
>>
>>16024276
>gundam unicorn
>two horns
>>
>>16028253
Anon, that's a v-fin
>>
>>16024616
ha
hahaha
>>
>>16028253
Here's your (You)
>>
>>16024276
Muh particles and powerlevel

Frankly it can be either overly plain or just tacky. I prefer a lot of other gundams over it.
>>
>>16024616
Hi Nu is better looking than the strike freedom.
>>
>>16024682
Do you really want to have time traveling Gods fucking around in your timeline? This technology isn't a nuke, nukes destroy stuff but don't put the entire universe at the constant risk of collapse.

Imagine Banagher telling the Anahiem techs that they had discovered time travel but in doing so his soul had been absorbed by the Gundam. He ceased to exist and the machine (which as you recall was designed to genocide newtypes) was now in control of him.

Do you really want a genocidal time traveling Gundam that can block any attempt to attack it and disable every weapon that comes near it? It would be utterly unstoppable and if not for Banagher being such a beta then that would have been the menace running around UC.

This would be an awesome cross over side story.
>>
>>16025607
>Japan is exactly the same as America's incredibly stunted children

Are you fucking retarded? ZZ aired exactly as Zeta ended. There was 7 days apart from one series to the next. You would need to be a time traveler in order to have feedback from an episode that wouldn't air for months while you worked on your new series
>>
>>16025334
The story's not great, the main character's really boring, and the writing's spotty, but everything related to the production, the direction, animation, music, and so on, is god-tier.
>>
>>16025607
>Dont watch the Zeta movies either, they really fucked up Four as a character.

Nah. They got rid of her entire redundant second arc.

Better voice actor too.
>>
>>16028203
>doesn't use fuel

it's shit
>>
File: 1477585633378.png (865 KB, 960x738)
865 KB
865 KB PNG
There's something about the Unicorn's design I absolutely hate, and something about it I absolutely love, and I can't put my finger on either one. I don't fucking get it it doesn't make any sense how I can really like and hate something at exactly the same time.
>>
Should've at least kept the horns.
>>
>>16025334
Everything unrelated to the plot is top notch, worst part is easily that the main is a non-character.
>>
>>16025167
I can only stomach the Unicorn and Banshee when they're in Unicorn Mode.
>>
>>16029047
He's a young man on the path to find himself and a goal in life. He has idealistic views that get challenged as the OVA goes on, sees that life isn't this simple.
He isn't full of character in the sense like Kamille how open/direct he was with his feelings and views and all that stuff. But wasn't a non-character either imo
>>
>>16029111
He's a near cipher who is bounced around by the plot rather than ever having any initiative or drive of his own
>>
the minimalist disign looks atractive, but donĀ“t fit in my top 10 gundam designs...
>>
>>16025078
It's fucking smiling.
>>
>>16024426
>That fucking green stripe mustache
every single time
>>
File: Spoiler Image (847 KB, 1280x720)
847 KB
847 KB PNG
>>16029206
indeed
>>
>>16029206
That's just the chin protrusion, but i see it.
>>16029310
delet this
>>
>>16028441
Not him but the cool thing about Unicorn is how much of a new type amplifier it was.

Banagher was a cyber newtype or something on those lines from early childhood training. But he wasn't at all so powerful but the Unicorn Unlocked his abilities and therfore Unlocked more of the Unicorn Powers.

At the end of the OVAs it heals itself like an ELS from the 00 Movies with Banger 100 percent normal.
>>
>>16030091
>Banagher was a cyber newtype or something on those lines from early childhood training.
He wasn't shown undergoing any surgery, taking drugs, or being brainwashed.
>>
File: ay.jpg (36 KB, 782x444)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>16030159
The anon most likely meant this flashback
>>
>>16030161
Okay, so he's sitting in a small scale cockpit with a VR display?
>>
File: 459467676189.jpg (127 KB, 800x800)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>16024276
I think it actually looks pretty cool in it's regular mode, but I agree that it's NT-D mode is fucking gross to look at.

I'm pretty sure that that is the popular sentiment, too. Most people don't like the RX-0, but Bandai keeps pushing it for whatever reason. But it's not like Bandai has a good track record of knowing what the fan want and giving it to them.
>>
>>16024276
It's alright. It's not the best-looking Gundam, but it's still pretty cool.

It's much better looking than the Turn-A
>>
>>16024301
>one of the worst UC main characters inside it
Kou Uraki never set foot inside the Unicorn, m8
>>
>>16030220
>Most people don't like the RX-0, but Bandai keeps pushing it for whatever reason

Because they're selling? Because people like them. People here sure don't like the RX-0 more oft than not, but the reason they're making so many is because they're selling otherwise why would they bother?
>>
>>16024276
I prefer the Banshee over it.
>>
unicorn looks like some weird papercraft model with all its lines. its so cluttered despite having barebone colors. Banshee looks a bit better because the dark colors hide its panel linings in regular mode at least.
>>
>>16030372
I think you missed the several motifs the Unicorn has to its design which has a lot to do with the color choices. The all white is obviously because it's a Unicorn, with the dark blue feet being the hooves and the Destroy mode separation is to signify the box opening, which is why the design is boxy. The familiar red, blue, yellow in NT-D further pushes the image that it's a Gundam, similarly to its predecessors.
>>
>>16030349
I don't like Banshee's v-fin, and OVA Banshee is atrocious until it's upgraded to the Banshee Norn.
>>
>>16030164
Not that anon but his father did start him on newtype training but his mother freaked out over that and took him away
>>
>>16030220
Keep in mind that /m/ not liking something doesn't mean that this is an overall popular opinion.
>>
>>16030220
> but Bandai keeps pushing it for whatever reason
motherfucker it prints money. People gobbled the shit out of the MG even though the shit was dated/flawed compared to every recent release of said MG Unicorn kit past the original MG ver Ka with its super fucked up knees.
>>
>>16030392
>he knows too much
>>
>>16024282
that can be arranged
>>
>>16030392
>because it's a Unicorn
What's up with the Banshee then?
The tapestry has a black lion, not a black unicorn, and Banshee (properly Bean Siddhe) is the crying ghost of a woman who's lost her son in battle. It's literally "Gundam Crying Bitch".
How does any of that make sense?
>>
>>16024276
The beast of possibilities to print money
>>
>>16030949
How is it with the endless money Bandai makes they haven't been able to engineer a stable MG Unicorn?
>>
>>16031188
Because the design is fucking bullshit.
>>
>>16031188
I'm guessing it's because they fall into the same trap as most transforming units, they insist on keeping them transformable and eat a ton of compromises to do so instead of just making separate versions that are stable and good looking.
>>
>>16031172
That's why it's aptly named "Unicorn Banshee" instead of just "Banshee". They aren't literal animals for fucks sake, so the V-Fin, Collar and colour change is enough to represent the lion aspect. Everything else does the same job including the Gundam colours that are now reminiscent of the Titans colour, reflecting it's position as the opposing Gundam. The Banshee is part of the Psycho-Frame, which amplifies thoughts and echoes in a screaming manner especially since it's the more aggressive Unicorn. The Claw pushes the Lion image more while it Vibrates with a Screeching banshee noise.
>>
>>16028441
The RX0 and the NZ DO NOT TRAVEL THROUGH TIME. FF was just sending Newtype visions to Banana. Notice how they skip everything in the future of UC. They only see what Char wants them to see.
>>
File: Rx-0.jpg (1.09 MB, 939x1531)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
it's beautiful in unicorn mode though
>>
Red one is ok. It has idea of edging out OG Gundam design with "blood" and white-red pallet looks alright. It reminds me of Kamen Rider Faiz in a good way.
Green Unicorn. however, has no excuse. It's bland and fucking boring. At least make it blue as a Hi-Nu homage.
Green Unicorn ho
>>
File: katriangle.jpg (367 KB, 939x1531)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>16032764
>At least make it blue as a Hi-Nu homage.
The psycoframe glow in CCA is green you retard fuck.

>>16032456
If you love triangles with arms, sure. Unicorn mode doesn't even slightly look like it should be an effective mobile suit past UC0080 because it has no verniers to speak of except the ones crammed into its lower legs to make the specs look better.
>>
>>16032785
Did I say one word about glow, you moron?
I was talking about suit color. Did you know that blue suits with green psycoframe (or its homage) exist?
>>
>>16032817
green Unicorn is just a glow, so yes you did you retard
>>
>>16030220
>>16030919

Almost every casual gundam "fan" I know likes the Unicorn because of its flashy transformation and glowing internals. But I agree it's shit taste. But shit taste sells.
>>
the glow is serious business okay
>>
>>16033421
Why would /m/ hate flashy transformation or tron lights? Mecha does have a history of Flashy Transformation or mode change and Gundam is no exception to it. From what I'm seeing is that Unicorn is liked by Casuals for the same reason they eat up high end Sports or luxury cars. That fact doesn't mean the cars they look at isn't well designed or poorly engineered. They like them because it's popular and judges them on a surface level because they aren't enthusiasts like us.
>>
>>16025099
And the '93 did that with just a little bit of psychoframe around the cockpit.
Make an entire MS frame out of the stuff?
Sure! What's the worst that could happen?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.